Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Vinland Saga
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2019 1:29 AM

May 2009
I love this show :D
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jul 9, 2019 4:12 AM

Apr 2018
I'm starting to regret watching all of these in a row considering the 3 week wait I have to take now.

Was nice to see some backstory behind Thors

    I'm not lazy...
      I'm just very unproductive.

Jul 9, 2019 5:05 AM
May 2013
the best anime for this season for sure.

Jul 9, 2019 9:05 AM
Feb 2019
I loved it!! all of the three episodes, and I really regret watching them all.. that was a good cliffhanger!

I love the animations, art style, visuals, music and the characters!
I was just disappointed with the OP's ost, the visuals were amazing but the song... It doesn't fit to me, I expected some Vikings instrumental with no lyrics.
But the ED is so good!!!!

Only 3 episodes and they made fell in love with Thors, it was nice to see what kind of person he was, glad that he changed but it seems like a red flag for his death :(
I liked his wife Helga and his daughter Ylva, I also think Helga is gonna die, but Ylva seems pretty cool, I like her!

Thorfinn, is another story :D I laughed so much when he surprised them by hiding in the barrel and then his excitement when he talks about the sea "UMI DA".. reminded of Armin lol.
and of course, him pissing.

I didn't like Floki but I loved Askeladd, he seems very interesting and I feel that he's gonna be my favorite character ❤

Lastly, it was pretty good to see Thors jumping in the other ship and knocking out some of them... It was perfect!!!!
Can't wait to see what will happen next! so excited.

This is definitely the best anime of the season in my opinion.
Jul 9, 2019 11:21 AM

Jul 2014
The pacing is amazing in this show, visuals and scenery fits the atmosphere and animation's on-point. But 3 fucking weeks for next ep? WTF.
Jul 9, 2019 12:42 PM

Mar 2018
Weird way of releasing the first three episode but hey at least I can say that I'm fully sold on this. Beautiful visuals, love the chara designs and the characters.

It definetly feels like series like Berserk or Kingdom, a hard, realistic story that will probably not end the best possible way for our character.

And I'm also put at ease by manga readers who sayy that so far it's a great adaptation.
Jul 9, 2019 2:28 PM

Dec 2016
Watched the first three episodes... All I have to say is that Ylva is waifu material. AOTS.

What's the difference?
Jul 9, 2019 3:11 PM

Sep 2017
thats just john wick in vicking era

3 weeks is gonna be hell,i couldnt wait to watch 1 ep per week when they are all here already....anyways this is so cool,you can just see this is a top tier anime

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
Jul 9, 2019 4:18 PM

Jun 2019
MikasaAckerman3 said:
I am amazed how good MAL is in spoiling, 3 sentences synopsis of anime at main page and I already know what will happen in episode 4. If someone has not read it yet, I recommend you to dont do it. I apologize for writing this here, but I did not want to set up a new topic.

Yeah, definitely don't read it. I didn't at first, or if I did it was a while ago and I don't remember, but I read it this morning after watching the first three episodes yesterday. And yeah now I know what's gonna happen. Lol.

Before I'd read that I felt the episode ended on a great cliffhanger, but now... not so much.

Well, Askeladd wanted Thors to be interesting, and I'd say someone that fights without a weapon and doesn't kill their opponents is interesting enough.
Jul 9, 2019 5:51 PM
Sep 2016
I'm definitly hooked and it's looking like a good serie but I find it a bit overated, the animation is just okay (with good art tho) and while the story and character look promising I find the constant change from a very realistic setting, to super human thing, really distracting at time.

That said I have heard that the manga get way better a bit later in the story, so I've hight hope for what's coming next.
Jul 9, 2019 9:06 PM

May 2019
I'm liking the progression of the story. A reformed, wholesome character in a dark, unforgiving world.

And not only that, the hero of the story was once the pin that weaved that world. This is gonna be such a good series.

We don't know what kind of people we truly are until the moment before our deaths.
As death comes to embrace you, you will realise what you are.
That's what death is, don't you think?

------------------------------------
Itachi Uchiha
Jul 9, 2019 11:23 PM

Sep 2017
Askeladd asking the questions. He was asking exactly what I was thinking. How did Askeladd know the guy was behind that curtain? Aww... Ari getting flustered was cute. Ylva is pretty popular, lol. That sounds more like Thors. I was thinking it seemed out of character for him to let these young men die in battle. If these guys think rowing the boat is bad, wait until they get into battle. Thors got bamboozled. I love how Thors just picked up Ylva. That probably wasn't the war story Ari wanted. Thors has good instincts, but they, unfortunately, aren't good enough. I was thinking they could just set the house wood on the fire, but it seems that Askeladd thought ahead and approached them before they could take such a measure. I kind of wanted to see Ari get jobbed, though. So that is how Thorfinn gets the knife. Thors taking out all of those guys was badass. Apparently, I have to wait three more weeks for another episode, which sucks, but this is easily my favorite show of the season so far!
Jul 10, 2019 12:06 AM

Apr 2017
The first three episodes were impressive. I liked how they execute the scenes very well. Thorfinn is annoying while Thors is the best father. I see deathflags incoming but I have to wait 3 weeks before I could watch it again.
Jul 10, 2019 12:47 AM

Aug 2016
Wonder how many people went to read the manga after this cliffhanger.
:v
Jul 10, 2019 9:07 AM
Mar 2019
Damn this Askeladd dude is a badass! He is not one to be underestimated.

Ari is a dipshit, a lovely young lady comes to send him off but he's too naive to understand. He'll regret it when he's the first to die in battle (hot take)

Seems like Leif has some friends in high places, he'll be someone to keep an eye on as he'll likely play a key role in the upcoming battle.

And to top off the episode, Thor kicks the shit out of a couple thugs! Those cuts were better than the entire second season of One Punch Man lul

See you nerds in 3 weeks -_-
KidLeafJul 10, 2019 9:16 AM
Jul 10, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2019
[quote=LeafJonin message=57941444]
Ari is a dipshit, a lovely young lady comes to send him off but he's too naive to understand. He'll regret it when he's the first to die in battle (hot take)
/quote]

i know right, i was like wtf dude
fuck that guy.
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 10, 2019 10:06 AM

May 2017
Omg the Anime Version of Vinland Saga is soo good. Everything is perfect. The Art, the pacing and the Soundtrack are just fantastic! As a Manga-Reader I could cry how good this is.
Jul 10, 2019 2:31 PM

Sep 2010
MikasaAckerman3 said:
I am amazed how good MAL is in spoiling, 3 sentences synopsis of anime at main page and I already know what will happen in episode 4. If someone has not read it yet, I recommend you to dont do it. I apologize for writing this here, but I did not want to set up a new topic.

To be fair, whoever wrote that synopsis, wrote it based on the manga because manga starts somewhere else (and in that place it's not a spoiler but introduction that happens immediately). The anime starts at flashback from chapter 2 though so it's a huge spoiler.

Speaking of which. I believe this series would gain much more hype if the first episode adapted the first chapter. First chapter is pure hype after all, while the flashback is much slower start.

On the other hand, without this being flashback, the story is easier to follow and this flashback itself becomes far more interesting because anime only shouldn't know what will happen.
(unless they read the synopsis and got spoiled, or watched the opening)

Personally I don't mind either way as long as it's good adaptation.
Jul 10, 2019 5:35 PM

Aug 2015
The story is intriguing. There are funny and serious scenes in all the episodes which are pretty good. Love the art style. Thorfinn is such a trouble maker - the scene where he got his ass smacked by his father in front of everyone was pretty funny. Can't wait for the next episode.
Jul 10, 2019 7:57 PM

Dec 2016
3 more weeks.....I'm not gonna make it. I fucking love this show already.
Jul 10, 2019 10:17 PM

Oct 2008
and again SUPERB!
i keep repeating the OP song!
5/5!

Jul 11, 2019 2:40 AM

Dec 2013
Thors death incoming!

It was badass taking out the fodder with only his fists.
Jul 11, 2019 6:40 AM

Sep 2008
This anime was everything I wanted it to be. Thanks Wit Studio.
Jul 11, 2019 6:57 AM

Aug 2012
So Thors dies next ep taking a lot of them with him. I wonder how many of the kids survive
Jul 11, 2019 4:35 PM

May 2018
Wow, this was rather amazing, and has restored my jaded faith in new seasonal anime. I'm sorry, but I felt pretty damn disappointed by Reincarnated as a Slime, Shield Hero, Fruits Basket 2019, Midnight Occult Civil Servants LOL. If this quality keeps up throughout the 24 episodes we're all in for a serious treat! I think I might enjoy this one as much as Claymore :D

Also, Wit Studio, another fantastic job!
Jul 12, 2019 8:37 AM

Apr 2013
I really getting dragged into the character and i'm excited to see the impact this show will have on my emotion. High potential to be one of my favorite shows of all time
Jul 12, 2019 11:38 AM

Aug 2018
alpha_shadow said:
If it has such a quick pace, then this might adapt much more than I would have expected. Potentially up to chapter 100 which would be crazy, but I don't know if it's possible in 24 episodes.
edit - I forgot the early chapters are shorter because the manga was weekly early into its serialization, so this probably won't adapt that far in

Nah it'll probably go up to chapter 54 because that's the "End of the Prologue" or at least the Britain Arc. Most chapters up to that point consisted of somewhere between 30-39 pages while the beginning chapters had around 20. It's definitely not going to 100.
Jul 12, 2019 1:44 PM
Feb 2019
Rimzyy said:
alpha_shadow said:
If it has such a quick pace, then this might adapt much more than I would have expected. Potentially up to chapter 100 which would be crazy, but I don't know if it's possible in 24 episodes.
edit - I forgot the early chapters are shorter because the manga was weekly early into its serialization, so this probably won't adapt that far in

Nah it'll probably go up to chapter 54 because that's the "End of the Prologue" or at least the Britain Arc. Most chapters up to that point consisted of somewhere between 30-39 pages while the beginning chapters had around 20. It's definitely not going to 100.

Also if you look into characters & staffs, Einar isn't there so they're not going to adapt nothing about farm arc c:
Jul 12, 2019 4:00 PM

Aug 2018
Hicron said:
Rimzyy said:

Also if you look into characters & staffs, Einar isn't there so they're not going to adapt nothing about farm arc c:

Yeah good shout I'm pretty sure that stuff will be season 2 and if so then I think it will be pretty well adapted. It is so far.
Jul 14, 2019 9:05 AM

Jan 2015
This anime is too good for this generation.
Jul 14, 2019 11:23 AM

Sep 2017
I loved the episode and I'm so looking forward to the next! maybe it's early to say this but it could be one of the best of the season. that's the feeling I get.
Jul 14, 2019 2:48 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
THANK YOU WIT STUDIO.

I've been reading this sucker for almost a decade now, and was both excited but also terrified at the prospect of a shitty anime adaptation.

I no longer have that fear. Art, animation, the way they've spliced the story around to fit better chronologically. They're doing a great job. If they keep this is up, it should be nothing short of magnificent at the end. Loving it.

Rimzyy said:
alpha_shadow said:

I think so too. I do not think that they will do
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 14, 2019 3:23 PM

Aug 2018
Farabeuf said:
THANK YOU WIT STUDIO.

I've been reading this sucker for almost a decade now, and was both excited but also terrified at the prospect of a shitty anime adaptation.

I no longer have that fear. Art, animation, the way they've spliced the story around to fit better chronologically. They're doing a great job. If they keep this is up, it should be nothing short of magnificent at the end. Loving it.

Rimzyy said:

I know so many anime only viewers are gonna be
Jul 14, 2019 5:19 PM

Jun 2015
I can't wait to see some farming.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2019 4:15 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Rimzyy said:
Farabeuf said:
THANK YOU WIT STUDIO.

I know so many anime only viewers are gonna be

I must confess that I was utterly confused by it for a while too, lol lol
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 15, 2019 6:05 AM

Mar 2019
Been interesting so far, although that scene pushing the wood over definitely wasn't enough to fill up that entire space and block their escape lol
Jul 15, 2019 7:21 AM

Nov 2017
ErnaGhoul said:
This anime is too good for this generation.

I love this comment.
Jul 15, 2019 11:36 PM
Dec 2018
AdrianRubinsky said:
I just hope Thorfinn ins't a copy/paste of Eren from AOT. One of the main problems I have with AOT is Eren.

He is much better than Eren or your typical shonen protagonist. He starts out brash, dumb, single-minded, hot-headed, and "so badass" and ruthless, but as he grows older, wiser, and experience life, he greatly matures, similar to his father. With your typical shonen protag, he stay brash, dumb, conceited, and hot-headed FOREVER, and the show itself tries to portray that it is actually a GOOD thing to be this moronic.

Of course, your typical action shonen viewer will likely not like how Thorfinn will become as an adult, due to his strong reluctance to start and join meaningless fights and bloodshed. They want ACTION, DEATH, BLOOD, NOW! Fortunately for them, the moronic characters like Thorkell will provide plenty of that, which is not surprising that Thorkell is very popular among these people.
Jul 16, 2019 7:59 AM
Jun 2015
Jim_White said:
AdrianRubinsky said:
I just hope Thorfinn ins't a copy/paste of Eren from AOT. One of the main problems I have with AOT is Eren.

He is much better than Eren or your typical shonen protagonist. He starts out brash, dumb, single-minded, hot-headed, and "so badass" and ruthless, but as he grows older, wiser, and experience life, he greatly matures, similar to his father. With your typical shonen protag, he stay brash, dumb, conceited, and hot-headed FOREVER, and the show itself tries to portray that it is actually a GOOD thing to be this moronic.

Of course, your typical action shonen viewer will likely not like how Thorfinn will become as an adult, due to his strong reluctance to start and join meaningless fights and bloodshed. They want ACTION, DEATH, BLOOD, NOW! Fortunately for them, the moronic characters like Thorkell will provide plenty of that, which is not surprising that Thorkell is very popular among these people.
Well now Erens like the best character in the manga. His character development is insane. The hothead is completley dead and now hes a rogue fuckin savage sociopath.
Jul 16, 2019 11:08 AM

Jun 2010
I'm anxious to see the next episode. Is one of the best of the season for sure.
Jul 16, 2019 3:26 PM

Jan 2018
My only complain with this anime is that the CGI is god Awful . The scenes with normal animation are really nice and quiet beautiful.

It's really sad that they had to use CG at all but the CG they got is just incredibly painful to look at
Jul 16, 2019 3:30 PM

Jan 2018
AdrianRubinsky said:

Would recommend to watch this because the way Eren is written is pretty clever. I mean aot in general breaks many shonen troupes and makes fun of them

https://youtu.be/WhZ-eq9LlTc
Jul 16, 2019 5:16 PM

Jan 2019
CuteAssTiger said:
My only complain with this anime is that the CGI is god Awful . The scenes with normal animation are really nice and quiet beautiful.

It's really sad that they had to use CG at all but the CG they got is just incredibly painful to look at

If you think this CG is god awful, then you haven't seen god awful CG.
Jul 16, 2019 6:23 PM

Oct 2017
CuteAssTiger said:
AdrianRubinsky said:

Would recommend to watch this because the way Eren is written is pretty clever. I mean aot in general breaks many shonen troupes and makes fun of them

As much as I like Eren he isn't actually that innovative he actually follows the MC of a Gundam plot pretty closely only change is after RTS where instead of having him like Amuro they make him into Char.
Jul 17, 2019 2:30 AM

Jan 2018
TolkienFan365 said:
CuteAssTiger said:

As much as I like Eren he isn't actually that innovative he actually follows the MC of a Gundam plot pretty closely only change is after RTS where instead of having him like Amuro they make him into Char.

Haven't really seen gundam so I wouldn't know . But even if that's the case he is very different from most Characters we get and the way he is written is still pretty clever .
I especially like how Gabi is basically how Eren was when he was younger . Now people can't hate Gabi for what she is doing because everyone liked that when Eren was doing it xD
Jul 17, 2019 2:32 AM

Jan 2018
Elucid said:
CuteAssTiger said:

I have seen enough CG to know that this stuff is really bad
It's not as bad as berserk 2016( nothing could ever be )

But I still think it's a shame that an anime with such beautiful 2D animation like Vinland Saga gets CGI that essentially looks like a Wii or PS2 game
Jul 17, 2019 2:58 AM

Jan 2019
CuteAssTiger said:
Elucid said:

But I still think it's a shame that an anime with such beautiful 2D animation like Vinland Saga gets CGI that essentially looks like a Wii or PS2 game

Personally, the CGI looks fine. I don't know what you're going on about, it's better than most. The ocean looks good, the boats are fine and allow better physics while in water. 3D Character models will only be used occasionally and while noticable, are not bad really. I don't see your definition of "god awful" in this case, it seems that you have too high standards (or I have low standards, who knows).
Well, you do you I guess.
Jul 17, 2019 4:18 AM

Jan 2018
Elucid said:
CuteAssTiger said:

Personally, the CGI looks fine. I don't know what you're going on about, it's better than most. The ocean looks good, the boats are fine and allow better physics while in water. 3D Character models will only be used occasionally and while noticable, are not bad really. I don't see your definition of "god awful" in this case, it seems that you have too high standards (or I have low standards, who knows).
Well, you do you I guess.

My complaint would be mainly about the people and things like the middle pole on the boat( I really don't know what it's called) that was cut in one of the early fights and the promotional material

The models for the people are really bad and they are often in the middle of the screen.

It just sticks out every time.
CG should either be a stylistic choice ,so well done that it is not noticeable or not used at all tbh.
I understand that it is a cheaper way to animate but that doesn't really make the end product any better
Jul 17, 2019 4:26 AM

Jan 2018
I think it's especially hard to use CG people in a 2D anime without it breaking the style and illustration

It just looks goofy when it happens
Jul 17, 2019 4:29 AM
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Aug 11, 2019

391 by ecklonia »»
Apr 15, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 29, 2019

792 by skywizard »»
Mar 29, 2:07 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Dec 8, 2019

259 by JustAnotherShiro »»
Mar 24, 2:44 PM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 28, 2019

407 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 23, 12:30 AM

Poll: » Vinland Saga Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 7, 2019

165 by xyara_girl »»
Mar 22, 11:34 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.