Forum Settings
Forums

What are the soul reasons to like Sword Art Online?

New
Jul 15, 2019 10:29 AM

Aug 2018
(😂 'Soul Reasons')
I am describing in points because it's so easy for me.

My reasons:
1. I am a programmer (Probably AI like in SAO will never be made but still worthy to enjoy exploring)
2. I am a huge/great gamer. (I can't even mention publishers here because they are too many but I can mention a game played at professional and International level DOTA 2: https://youtu.be/3k-cTvUwioc)
3: I like romance and tragic stories. (Those where everyone have their own dreams)
4: Soundtracks and Art. (Always my best reasons)
H_LightstoneMay 15, 2020 10:32 PM

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jul 15, 2019 10:32 AM

Jul 2015
no 30 more characters are unnecessary.

Jul 15, 2019 10:38 AM
Jul 2017
Piromysl said:

LMFAO.
Lightstone said:
I am describing in points because it's so easy for me.

My reasons:
1. I am a programmer (I am mentioning Python because it's specialized in AI)
2. I am a huge/great gamer. (I can't even mention publishers here because they are too many but I can mention a high difficulty strategy game which is played at International level, DOTA 2)
3: I like romance and tragic stories. (Those where everyone have their own dreams)
4: Soundtracks and Art. (Always my best reasons)

Dunno TBH.
I have not hated SAO but I could never really love it.
It was your average great potential bad execution anime.
The forceful romance ruined it for me.
They could have spent much more time showing the actual gameplay much more.
But I also liked the concept, Sinon, Suguha, the world of Aincrad and the nice art.
Music was also good.
I prefer to remember the good parts though.
Also it would be awesome if it can become a reality. The game not the death part.
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Jul 15, 2019 10:39 AM

Jan 2019
The #1. reason to like it is because it is amusing to watch as most "hardcore" anime fans will start to seethe at the very implication that it is anything but "overhyped trash" but will go on to praise JoJo despite it being the exact same thing.

I wasn't a huge fan of the originals, they were entertaining but nothing super. I did really like GGO, they did a good job explaining the in-game mechanics and the battles had decent tension to them. Also, girls with guns are the best, M is the best character though.....
Jul 15, 2019 10:50 AM

Apr 2015
I didn't really like the first part that much, but the GGO part is what I really like about it. Sinon's pretty cool, and pretty much the same thing's Disco mentioned, the mechanics explained and the like.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jul 15, 2019 10:57 AM

Aug 2018
MakingTheMaouCry said:
Also it would be awesome if it can become a reality. The game not the death part.
That last part is funny XD and also good :). I feel and think same.

"The most amazing and interesting story in this world ever existed is the story of the world itself where all stories happened"
-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:01 AM

Oct 2010
My reasons are simple:
Sinon
The fact that the main guy is beating the shit outta every bad guy, kinda like Hokuto no Ken.
Jul 15, 2019 11:02 AM

Jul 2015
Ok, now seriously. I agree, that SAO is exceptionally edgy show, especially It's protagonist.
But what SAO is supposed to deliver, it does. Exhilarating action and visuals.
Yuki Kajiura is known for the best composer in anime industry for a reason.

Jul 15, 2019 11:08 AM

Mar 2015
Because it has hot girls.

And I mean, the concept itself is really cool, I can see why it would appeal to people.
Jul 15, 2019 11:09 AM

Aug 2018
Piromysl said:

Yuki Kajiura is known for the best composer in anime industry for a reason.
That's ma man! I didn't knew that part before you told.

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:09 AM

May 2017
I too,i love playing games,especially RPG's. I Really loved romance between Kirito and Asuna,music is outstanding,especially Crossing Field,Shirushi and forget-me not,fight scenes and i really love main female characters such as Asuna,Leafa,Sinon,Yuuki,LLENN and Alice,even the video game characters such as Philia and Strea (from SAO:Hollow Fragment)

Like i wrote in my SAO Alicization review:

'Why some people who dislike or hate flaws that are not a big deal?
Because some flaws that are not fatal or can be overlooked are too much for some part of audience who were high at expectations or have different tastes and standards. They focus too much on problems rather than thinking of good points and hidden gems.

Sword Art Online anime series have huge commercial success and look at stats at MAL,so many people gave 10/10's,9/10's,8/10's and 7/10's. That means that majority liked or loved them.

What kind of 'bad' protagonist is number 13 and have 32,839 favorites in MAL?

What kind of 'bad' waifu is number 37 and 20,164 favorites in MAL?

What kind of 'bad' anime gets this huge success?

What kind of 'bad' light novels sold 22 million copies worldwide?

What kind of 'bad' anime movie gets 38.2 million dollars at box office?

From merchandise to video games such as Hollow Fragment,Lost Song,Hollow Realization,Accel World vs SAO and Fatal Bullet,those are proof of SAO's success and popularity.
If anime and light novels were THAT bad,it's would not get such a huge commercial success and popularity,fan base,merchandise and video games and i would not talk about it here. If anime series are successful and if majority loved it or liked it,then they are objectively good anime series.'

Sword Art Online anime series do have problems,but i am willing to excuse most of them because anime series charmed me so much with it's unique style. No matter how flawed is it,i still maintain it's awesome anime. I have watched worst anime such as Mars of Destruction,Tenkuu Daizai Skelter Heaven,Wounded Man,Garzey's Wings,Psychic Wars,Hanoka,Dark Cat,Vampire Holmes,all episodes of Generation of Chaos and Pupa and let me tell you,SAO is nothing compared to them,flaws they have are in whole different level. One last thing,my favorite SAO characters and waifus are indeed flawed,but they are enjoyable and lovable like hell if you overlook their flaws.

There is no bad waifu,only bad anime.
Jul 15, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2018
Mirai said:
Because it has hot girls.

And I mean, the concept itself is really cool, I can see why it would appeal to people.

Kono hentai!!1 more characters are unnecessary. XD
H_LightstoneJul 15, 2019 11:46 AM

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:17 AM

Apr 2018
If you're a programmer, you should already know the importance of correct syntax and spelling.
It's "sole", not "soul".

Either way, regarding my two cents on SAO, i suppose i'm in the minority that thinks it's just "ok". It's neither the great modern classic anime the fandom claims it is, nor the unwatchable dumpster fire its detractors label it as (i've seen way worse, at the very least); though i will concede their point that its huge popularity is perhaps undeserved.

I got surface-level entertainment out of it, which is about as much as i was expecting in the first place. I'm only commenting on Season 1, btw. Haven't watched the other franchise entries yet.

EDIT: oh shit, i just realized i completely ignored the point of this thread. Anyway:
Stygian_PrisonerJul 17, 2019 12:29 PM
Jul 15, 2019 11:18 AM

Aug 2018
WaifuMaster17 said:

I also have written reviews for SAO. :)

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:22 AM

Jul 2017
Jul 15, 2019 11:24 AM

Jun 2015
It's Sole, not soul.

Read Toriko!
Jul 15, 2019 11:24 AM

Aug 2018
Stygian_Prisoner said:
If you're a programmer, you should already know the importance of correct syntax and spelling.
It's "sole", not "soul".
I knew I wasn't a good bug tester but my teachers say I am pretty good. I think that's because human make mistakes, even they are good.. (All just stupid stuff I wanted to say)
H_LightstoneJul 15, 2019 11:28 AM

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:28 AM
Feb 2017
I for one don't understand why people drool over Asuna. I find her to be a bland and cookie cutter character with no quirks. Then again, I guess she's the literal definition for a mediocre waifu. I guess she is good at making sandwiches.
Jul 15, 2019 11:30 AM

Aug 2018
phantom346 said:
It's Sole, not soul.

Don't you know I'm SAO fan, "I don't care".
Just kidding XD
H_LightstoneJul 16, 2019 12:25 AM

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:34 AM

Apr 2017
My reasons:

1. it's a good anime.

2. nothing. It's just a good anime.
Jul 15, 2019 11:46 AM

Aug 2018
Kuro_Neko04 said:
My reasons:

1. it's a good anime.

2. nothing. It's just a good anime.
"True fan"!20 more characters are unnecessary.

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 4:21 PM

May 2010
I swear its like the threads made the last few days have been made intentionally to incite me.

SAO is great, point blank period.

I've been owning these threads for almost a decade now.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 4:35 PM

May 2018
Gay for Kirito is the only reason you need to like Sao.
Jul 15, 2019 4:43 PM

Sep 2018
I would say
1. The combat is well animated.
2. The music is stellar.
3. Some good characters like Sinon and Alice
4. Sometimes the story is interesting
5. Comedy
6. DIstinct enemies and locations
7. Power fantasy
Jul 15, 2019 4:45 PM
Feb 2017

They could have spent much more time showing the actual gameplay much more.

Exactly this. They could have made a way loong anime just showing how are people doing in game, how they get level by level cleaned instead of show lvl 20 one day and 50 the next one. The game developing and the different ways people behave on it had potential for tons of episodes insted of only 12 or 13...

It's the only thing I miss a lot on SAO, a long anime with players killing different levels and bosses, pk teams doing evil stuff, different groups and guilds doing different things, Kirito adventures and so much more. It had potential to be very long and it ended into a 12-13 ep before the next arc... was highly disappointing.
Jul 15, 2019 4:47 PM

Jan 2018
Sword Art Online does not shy away about revealing the characters love affairs. Like I personally enjoy listening to songs more when I have a girl. Add in the general possibility that most people do play games casually, it's a train ride to Busan.
Jul 15, 2019 4:48 PM

Nov 2017
1. I wanted to see what the fuzz was all about

2. I just really wanted to watch something with artwork exactly like that of Sword Art Online

3. I couldn't just keep it on hold forever, now could I?
Jul 15, 2019 4:56 PM

May 2019
I think the art style and the characters. SAO was the first anime I've ever watched fully, but I definitely see why a lot of people don't like it, but I can also see why people do like it. The whole concept is pretty interesting as well.
Jul 15, 2019 4:59 PM

Jan 2013
1. Silica
2. The action scenes

The games are way better though. So is the GGO spin off with the pink loli.
Jul 15, 2019 4:59 PM
Jul 2018
Asuna. Asuna Yuuki. Yuuki Asuna. The Lightning Flash. Subleader of te Knights of the Blood Oath. Berserk Healer. Goddess of Creation Stacia. Star Queen. Ultimate Best Girl. Did I mention Asuna?

Also the novels+Progressive+SSs are a flipin' masterpiece and the second best thing I've ever read (The first one is obviously Fullmetal Alchemist.)
Jul 15, 2019 5:00 PM

Mar 2016
Honestly I've seen worst, so SAO is just a potentially failed anime(We need to animated Progressive). Besides the plot and characters, everything is good.
Jul 15, 2019 5:08 PM
Jul 2019
I think Gigguk summed up my view pretty good.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rfi6hUPJpe4

Timing, relevance, despite huge plot holes still delivered.. Nuff said?

(I forgot my account info and had to remake!! UFF :<!!)
Jul 15, 2019 5:41 PM

Dec 2018
I really wanted to see what a "soul reason" was...disappointed.
Jul 15, 2019 7:25 PM

Mar 2018
I am one of those people who is in the middle, between liking and not liking SAO. (I think I lean a bit more towards the liking side)

I understand why people don't like it, and I understand and emphasize with some of those reasons.
Though, here are all of the things I love about SAO:

1. Art and animation is STUNNING
2. Soundtrack is AMAZING
3. Cool character designs
4. Voice acting is incredible (for Cherami Leigh, Haruka Tomatsu, Yoshitsugu Matsuoka, Nobunaga Shimazaki, Ai Kayano, Brandon Winckler, Kayli Mills, etc.)
5. Even if it has flaws, the story is definitely very unique and fun.
6. It's very entertaining and suspenseful.
7. Eugeo
8. Kirito
9. Asuna
10. The sad moments really hit you hard
11. The action
12. No matter how flawed you think the characters are, you really feel a connection to a lot of them.
13. Alicization arc.
14. We all wish the NerveGear was real, minus the dying in real life part.
15. The actual game of SAO itself is beautifully designed, and I would love to play it
16. THAT HEARTBREAKING SCENE AT THE END OF ALICIZATION PART 1

And probably a lot more.
"Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your poker face."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

"A thief is a creative artist who takes his prey in style. But a detective is nothing more than a critic who follows our footsteps."
-Kaito Kuroba (aka Kaitou Kid)

Jul 15, 2019 8:26 PM

Dec 2012
Sole = 1 by the way. I have multiple reasons.

-I liked the characters
-I find the story concept of being able to be injured or killed in videogame very interesting
-I like romance and think Kirito and Asuna made a good couple
-I love Yuki Kajiura music
-It's both dramatic in places and humorous in others
-The art is good
-It was decently animated
-The action scenes were pretty good
-OP characters are fun
KruszerJul 15, 2019 8:33 PM
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jul 15, 2019 8:45 PM

Jun 2019
The sole reason,Of course is that I associate myself with Asuna And Of Course My love for Kirito-kun(however,there are two reasons,but still for me no problem)
Jul 15, 2019 8:48 PM

Aug 2009
I can't speak for the anime, but Fatal Bullet is a pretty good Phantasy Star Online type of game.

Jul 15, 2019 9:11 PM

Jan 2018
Piromysl said:

Idk if it's more impressive that Kirito deus ex machina'd the first arc or you posting without the 30 character limit

Gg
What a beautiful Duwang
Jul 15, 2019 9:26 PM

Feb 2018
It was pretty good back when I watched. Of course, I was like 12 at the time and I didn’t know what anime was, so probably if I watched it again I wouldn’t like it very much

If you're reading this,

You must be really bored.
Jul 15, 2019 9:29 PM

Dec 2017
uhh the only reason i can think of is that it has a good soundtrack
Jul 15, 2019 9:36 PM

Nov 2016
It pretty much predicted the Battle Royale boom that would come with H1Z1 which then Continued with PUBG and Fortnite in GGO.

If you don't overanalyze it its a entertaining show but that's about it really.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 15, 2019 9:37 PM
Jul 2018
1. The concept of virtual reality is extremely intriguing, as it has always made me wonder how socially connected I would feel in those virtual dimensions as opposed to the real world, where I lack social skills, and feel semi out of place by times.

2. I love a lot of the characters personalities and designs in SAO, especially in the mangas like Fairy Dance, Progressive, Hollow Realization, Girls Ops, etc.

3. Suguha Kirigaya is actually my number one favorite anime character of all time.

4. When I read the mangas or watch the anime to SAO, I'm glued to the screen and love what I see, which I can feel the same with another series, but SAO occupies one of the very top places in terms of anime/manga animation and story enjoyment.

5. I absolutely love the feels and action this series gives off. Especially when the characters like Kirito, Asuna, etc. are taking out boss battles in the virtual worlds. The accelerating fighting action coupled with the battle music just produces great feels that make the series breathtaking.

6. I love how the stories in SAO can both take part in the virtual realities and in real life. So it adds to the many worlds that the characters are in, and some of the characters like Suguha and Silica who have in-game characters that are different in appearance just adds more variation to it all. So many worlds, so many different character designs, etc.

7. I can't help but give every manga and season I watch for SAO a 10/10, and I'm not just rating it that high because I'm a fan of the series alone, but because the series just continues to entertain me and provide enjoyment for me, that I can't help but give the series the highest rating, and because SAO is a mastermind creation, hence the reason why I would give it a masterpiece rating.

8. I personally love Kirito's bravery in the series. During times when Eugeo was nervous to proceed fighting (like when Kirito and Eugeo had to take out the goblins in Alicization) Kirito didn't hesitate at all to run in at then, and he had a plan of action as to how they would attack at the same time. His bravery and clever leadership abilities are nothing less than admirable.

9. I enjoy MMORPG's a lot. I've played both WoW and FF14, and can only imagine how much better a VRMMORPG would be.

10. I like the overall settings that the virtual realities are in. Like I don't have much experience with FPS games (except for some experience with Overwatch) but I even really loved the GGO arc a lot. In fact, it's one of my top favorite arc's out of the entire series.

removed-userJul 15, 2019 9:43 PM
Jul 15, 2019 10:49 PM

Aug 2018
rohan121 said:

Some good characters like Sinon and Alice
They are my favorites in there own seasons.
By the way who is this girl in your profile picture? She looks like sister of Konno Yuuki.

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 10:56 PM

Aug 2018
Lof said:

The game developing and the different ways people behave on it had potential for tons of episodes instead of only 12 or 13...
I agree on this but...
This is not simple as it looks, writing is not easy. I once tried to write a novel with every single fact explaining in it but ended up in writing the most important part.

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 10:56 PM

Jan 2017
Interesting that a lot of people are saying the soundtrack - when, to me, this is one of the more phoned-in OSTs that Kajiura's ever done. It's just not... distinctive, I guess, in the way that a lot of her other ones are. I mean, it's not like I've listened to her entire discography or anything, but I do know that Kara no Kyoukai has an entirely different sound to Fate/Zero, and both of those have an entirely different sound to Madoka Magica.

I mean, the main SAO theme is literally just 'Rule the Battlefield' from Fate/Zero's first album, again.

This is a shame, because it was hearing that Kajiura was doing the OST that convinced me to give SAO a go, after having read the novels a couple of years previously. I did end up enjoying it, but not because of the soundtrack.

If I had to point to a reason... I'unno, generally high production values maybe?
Jul 15, 2019 11:08 PM

Aug 2018
Dazel1412 said:
Yes these are also the reasons.characters limit.

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:18 PM

Aug 2018
Kruszer said:

Alice, Kirito and Konno Yuuki are overpowered but I loved that fact, I like OP characters/heroes! (Like Saitama, the most OP character/hero of all time)

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:22 PM

Aug 2018
SuguChan said:
Suguha Kirigaya is actually my number one favorite anime character of all time.
Alice (The best), Asuna and Sugu are my waifus from SAO series. :D

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Jul 15, 2019 11:24 PM

Aug 2018
The soundtrack, the artwork, the action, the beauty, almost everything is enjoyable except the story!
Jul 15, 2019 11:25 PM

Aug 2018
Maurice_5 said:
You just need clear ears and a kind heart to love SAO's soundtracks.

-Hassaan Lightstone-
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Interest and hobbies change with time

nishant0 - 24 minutes ago

6 by palm-tree »»
59 seconds ago

Poll: » Best kind of relationship in anime?

IpreferEcchi - Yesterday

12 by IpreferEcchi »»
3 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 1 hour ago

6 by Catalano »»
4 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - 4 hours ago

12 by IKKIsama »»
6 minutes ago

» The nicest chest you've seen on a male or female character

IpreferEcchi - 7 hours ago

9 by IpreferEcchi »»
7 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.