Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
May 9, 2019 10:48 AM

Aug 2016
Wow with 13?
You can be hella proud of you

Hope u notice the bit of ironic I put in there
May 9, 2019 10:48 AM

Jul 2016
i somehow have a license in two countries but i rarely ever drive anymore .-.
i used to really enjoy it when i was living back home but nowadays it's a lot
more practical for me to take the metro or other forms of public transportation.

grouper - no other

0:00 ●━━━━━━─────── 3:46

ㅤㅤㅤㅤ◁ㅤㅤ❚❚ㅤㅤ▷ㅤㅤㅤㅤ↻

⁞⁞⁞ purple cause baal is my wife  ⁞⁞⁞
Jul 15, 2019 2:31 AM

Jun 2016
Considering i'm a mechanic and I also do autocross and street race, there aren't too many things I can't drive. Most Americans think manual is hard, to which I say, okay, now try a Kenworth 3-stick (three seperate shifters) manual or driving an International Scout.
Jul 15, 2019 2:58 AM

Sep 2018
Yes, I know how to but don't have a car as I don't need one, it's cheaper to use a taxi when needed.
Jul 15, 2019 3:04 AM

Oct 2017
I could probably get the gist of it if I were to drive one, and I think I did when I was younger, although I'm not too sure.
I haven't got my drivers license yet and don't plan to, though. I want to save up some money to actually get a car first, and even then I don't see the point. It's not like I need to travel anywhere that's easier with one. I just take public transport, which is also healthier for the environment.
Jul 15, 2019 3:39 AM

Nov 2017
First time with 14. Got my licence with 18.
𝘠𝘰𝘶 𝘫𝘶𝘴𝘵 𝘥𝘰𝘯'𝘵 𝘨𝘦𝘵 𝘪𝘵 𝘥𝘰 𝘺𝘰𝘶?
𝘐'𝘮 𝘯𝘰𝘵 𝘴𝘵𝘶𝘤𝘬 𝘩𝘦𝘳𝘦 𝘸𝘪𝘵𝘩 𝘺𝘰𝘶.

¡ǝɯ ɥʇᴉʍ ǝɹǝɥ uᴉ ʞɔnʇs ǝɹ,no⅄
Jul 15, 2019 3:47 AM

Feb 2016
since I was the oldest in the friend group of mine and my parents let me, I had a driver's license since I was 16
sucked for me cause my parents just made me drive my younger brothers around when they turned 18
my fault for still living with them but i won't complain
now-a-days I never drive as all my friends are squares and I love getting fucked up so they now MUST drive me :D
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 15, 2019 4:30 AM

Sep 2017
I don't really enjoy driving, especially in town, but I got my driver license when I turned 18, the minimum legal age for driving where I live

And I'm driving a manuel ofc, you quickly get used to it

However I also drove an electric car, and damn it's really pleasant and smooth. You don't fear the hill starts anymore !
DamuzenJul 15, 2019 4:33 AM
Jul 15, 2019 4:48 AM

Jul 2015
Themousen said:
You don't fear the hill starts anymore !

Use your handbrake for that. My english car-related vocabulary is limited, but:

>Go to neutral, pull handbrake.
>Start engaging the 1st gear but do not fully engage the cluth. Release the pedal just a bit and start giving some gas, like you'd normally do on a flat surface.
>Release handbrake, accelerate some more, release clutch pedal to engage it.

Really, the only difference there is is the handbrake, and how much you need to accelerate before letting the clutch pedal go. If it's a real problem, just find some parking with a nice slope and practice a bit. It's really convenient once you're used to it. I actually always use my handbrake and go back to neutral when I have to stop, even on a flat surface, because keeping your foot on the clutch pedal and the 1st gear engaged is a bad idea if someone bumps your rear for example. Your car might very well leap a couple meters before the engine stalls, leaving you in a dire position.
DeathkoJul 15, 2019 4:51 AM
Jul 15, 2019 5:05 AM

Sep 2017
Deathko said:
Themousen said:
You don't fear the hill starts anymore !

Use your handbrake for that. My english car-related vocabulary is limited, but:

>Go to neutral, pull handbrake.
>Start engaging the 1st gear but do not fully engage the cluth. Release the pedal just a bit and start giving some gas, like you'd normally do on a flat surface.
>Release handbrake, accelerate some more, release clutch pedal to engage it.

Really, the only difference there is is the handbrake, and how much you need to accelerate before letting the clutch pedal go. If it's a real problem, just find some parking with a nice slope and practice a bit. It's really convenient once you're used to it. I actually always use my handbrake and go back to neutral when I have to stop, even on a flat surface, because keeping your foot on the clutch pedal and the 1st gear engaged is a bad idea if someone bumps your rear for example. Your car might very well leap a couple meters before the engine stalls, leaving you in a dire position.

Oh I know how to handle it, but I'm not always good at it. That's why the electric cars are so pleasant !
Jul 15, 2019 1:45 PM

Feb 2008
There was an incident when I was 16 which is why I haven't been in the driver's seat for 10 years now. But I figure it's about time to get over my fears and start again.
Jul 15, 2019 9:50 PM
Mob Character C

Oct 2009
I'm actually pretty surprised at the amount of people who don't drive for one reason or another here.
Then again, I live in California. In our area, our roads are made more for car culture, not public transit.

I do drive, though I got my license pretty late on (21?? 22?? I don't remember). I'm 25 now, so it wasn't that long ago. I would take the bus and walk pretty much everywhere, which was great. I was super scared to drive at first, but I got used to it.

I don't know how to drive a stick yet though. Hopefully one day.

As for driving young, my dad would have me drive home from the store all the time when I was in elementary school-- he was always in the car with me, of course. At some point, he let me do so when I was in like middle school or something-- maybe high school. I'm blanking out. Anyway, while I was driving, he suddenly said, "Oh shit, it's the police". I freaked out a little and parked. I totally thought I saw red and blue behind me too, so it was... enough to not make me want to drive for a loooong time. My dad just laughed the whole time after I realized he was joking. That, in addition to being able to get to all the important places without a car, were the reasons it took so long to get a license.

Enjoy your anime! | Witch Cafe Wisteria
Jul 15, 2019 9:55 PM

Nov 2009
yes and no, I actually get anxious behind the wheel.
毎日, 日本語を勉強する
Jul 18, 2019 3:10 PM
Jul 2018
Nope, I’ve never learnt to drive and I never will learn to drive :P
Jul 18, 2019 9:57 PM

Dec 2012
I drive an automatic ute and a 650cc motorcycle
Jul 18, 2019 10:16 PM
Jul 2018
I do know how to drive. I’ve had my license for almost a year now. I didn’t get my license until I was 18. I was a late bloomer. I was always very scared to get behind the wheel and I also lacked the motivation and interest to start driving. My mom pushed me to practice, I took driving lessons, and then I got my license. I drive pretty much every day now to and from school and work. I never thought I would be able to do it, but all I needed was a little push, and now I’m driving pretty comfortably every day. I always worried I would never be able to do it without having an accident, but I turned out okay lol.
Jul 18, 2019 10:19 PM

Jan 2016
Not sure. I've finished my driving school earlier this year.
But i never really drive a car since I don't have it and I don't have to.
Jul 20, 2019 6:33 PM

Dec 2018
nope not rllly
I tried driving a couple of times but I really really suckk so i'm sticking with public transit for noww
Jul 20, 2019 7:03 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Yeah but I still need to learn how to drive a stick shift since if both automatics are out being driven I'm stranded since the third car is a stick shift. Plus who knows when a situation might arise where I'll need to know how to drive one (although better solution, people just stop driving freaking stick shifts).
Jul 20, 2019 7:06 PM

Jan 2017
vroom vroom
i hate driving i wish i was japanese so i could walk to places
Jul 20, 2019 8:52 PM
Jul 2018
No because I'm too nervous to drive within busy road areas, have serious social anxiety, so I don't even want to be in the same car with a drivers instructor, and my overall concentration is just too shitty to drive within crowded areas, which would likely be an accident waiting to happen. So fuck that.
Jul 20, 2019 8:56 PM

Sep 2014
yes but i do not like to do it. at night its ok i guess. i dont like driving during the day because usually everyone else is also driving. also it means you have to share the road with a bunch of normies.
Jul 20, 2019 9:03 PM

Feb 2019
Nope, but im planning to learn soon.
Jul 21, 2019 8:32 PM

Nov 2012
shotz said:
Anime-is-King said:
I drive a 52,000 lbs (when loaded) tanker truck for work!

can u smoke in the cab when u drive that? if not that must be a tough position to fill lol.

im a trucker too tho i cant drive shit that heavy cuz no cdl

i drive these bad boys plus international work trucks and shit

i have a tiny hyundai but for my next car tho i want a prius to fight the haters.

No one is suppose to. Federal law states that no one should be within 25 feet while smoking. Pay is pretty damn good so its not hard to find drivers. Do you work for a construction company or one that specializes in traffic management?
Jul 21, 2019 9:56 PM

Oct 2012
I drive a stick shift, but not well. Not too bad, I guess, unless Nissan stock clutches are made from diamonds. It's been 10 years and it will hasn't gone yet. Hills are annoying, especially when someone's tailgating you, but I can deal with small slopes. Fuck the steep inclines though. I'll wait at the bottom of the parking garage for all the cars in front of me to leave before I head up. I once tried driving up the Griffith Observatory and pussied out 1/3 of the way. Bumper to bumper traffic up a narrow hill -- fuck that shit. Not today.
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 21, 2019 10:13 PM

Sep 2018
Nope. I’m almost 16 now, and driving honestly seems scary. My mom is making me take drivers ed next summer though, I should be ready by then probably
Jul 22, 2019 12:44 AM

Jan 2009
katsucats said:
I drive a stick shift, but not well. Not too bad, I guess, unless Nissan stock clutches are made from diamonds. It's been 10 years and it will hasn't gone yet. Hills are annoying, especially when someone's tailgating you, but I can deal with small slopes. Fuck the steep inclines though. I'll wait at the bottom of the parking garage for all the cars in front of me to leave before I head up. I once tried driving up the Griffith Observatory and pussied out 1/3 of the way. Bumper to bumper traffic up a narrow hill -- fuck that shit. Not today.
These are all problems I don't have any longer because of automatic and automatic breaking/auto hold. But yeah, I also haven't liked to stop in the middle of a hill unless needed, but you can use the handbrake to make it easier to start driving forward again after coming to a halt if you don't have auto hold.

If that is the drive: even with the parking, the road looks wide. this is what I would call narrow and I had the pleasure to drive there at night. Though even that might be perceived as "wide" compared to that or even that.
NoboruJul 22, 2019 12:47 AM
Jul 22, 2019 3:15 AM

Sep 2015
iv'e been driving for years, but ever since i moved into a city my car just sits in my drive way and is now unwarranted with problems. I going to sell it soon public transport here is just so much cheaper and easier.
Jul 22, 2019 11:11 AM

Jun 2008
Of course. I got a license as soon as i came at the allowed age.
Driving is second nature to me. I drive all the time, i even drive when am home lol(i have a nice setup of racing emulation that even allows me to change steering wheels etc).
So as you can guess i have more skill than average and i constantly try to improve my driving skill and that results on me getting annoyed with all the people on the road that appear so scared and uncomfortable and yet still drive causing nothing but traffic.

BIG PIECE OF ADVICE TO ALL OF YOU WHO DRIVE!
First and foremost. DO NOT HOLD your mobile phone to talk while driving.
I see so many doing it this days and especially women. Hell some even try to send messages. Driving drunk is less dangerous than that. DON'T DO IT!

Second. If you are a little scared of driving and you constantly press the brakes because you get scared whenever the car accelerates a little then you are not keeping yourselves safer by slowing like that. You simply increase the chance of getting hit at the back because you are freaking brake testing the poor driver behind you.

Third. If you are gonna pull into a road or turn into a road etc(specially if it's a high speed road) then accelerate fast so you can have the necessary speed and not be a roadblock to the drivers already on the road you entered. Also please don't just measure distance when trying to enter a road but watch carefully for the speed of the incoming car. It may seem far away but if it is going fast and you enter and don't accelerate fast ether then there is a big chance you will end up in an accident
because you simply made yourself a roadblock for the faster driver and if he is careless even for a second he will hit you fast in a very bad crash.

Fourth. In general DON'T DRIVE TOO SLOW! You create traffic everywhere and frustrate people. Drive at least to the upper limit of the speed limit.

Fifth. Don't stop when you don't need do. For example you want to turn at your side of the road. There is no reason to fully stop and stop the whole traffic before you turn. The turn is on your side, you don't need to wait for anyone to pass. Just release the gas put a lower gear and turn as you go. If you are on a round-about or a turn behind another driver trying to enter like you want and you have good visibility then watch the road well and if he finds a good gap and drives off then drive with him if you saw there is good space. Don't just sit there watching the ass of the other car in a daze and remember to look only when it leaves.
Your driving instructor may have told to always stop and look left and right but he tells you that because you are novices.
If you have visibility and you can see from afar then keep your attention on the road and keep going instead of stopping for no reason. Stop creating traffic.

Noboru said:
katsucats said:
These are all problems I don't have any longer because of automatic and automatic breaking/auto hold. But yeah, I also haven't liked to stop in the middle of a hill unless needed, but you can use the handbrake to make it easier to start driving forward again after coming to a halt if you don't have auto hold.

If that is the drive: even with the parking, the road looks wide. this is what I would call narrow and I had the pleasure to drive there at night. Though even that might be perceived as "wide" compared to that or even that.

Actually the reason his manual transmission didn't go to hell despite his bad use of it is because manual is a lot more tolerant than automatic. The thing i like about manual transmission is how long lifespan it has and how easier and less costly is to fix if anything happens.
Also i like to have total control(i even deactivate the stability system on my car) which manual allows me to do fully. I can downshift when i want i can put empty and roll and save gas etc.
MonadJul 22, 2019 12:48 PM
Jul 22, 2019 12:18 PM

Nov 2011
juiccbox said:
Nope. I’m almost 16 now, and driving honestly seems scary. My mom is making me take drivers ed next summer though, I should be ready by then probably

it is, when you look at the statistics.
every year, 3 million people in the US are injured as a result of a car accident, about 2 million suffer permanent damages and, on average, over 90 people die every day as a result of such accidents. even if you are the greatest driver there is, there is always the chance someone else will rear-end or hit your car on the side, possibly while trying to flee police officers. the US population stands at around 327 million (data as of last year)
https://www.driverknowledge.com/car-accident-statistics/

You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
Jul 22, 2019 12:22 PM

Apr 2013
I've been driving a car for around 19 years by now.
I've never enjoyed it though. I use it because I have to, and whenever I can avoid using it by going by foot I go by foot instead.
Jul 22, 2019 12:23 PM

Jun 2011
My brain is not made for driving cars, so no.
Public transportation is all I do.
Jul 23, 2019 1:42 AM

Jan 2009
Monad said:
Actually the reason his manual transmission didn't go to hell despite his bad use of it is because manual is a lot more tolerant than automatic. The thing i like about manual transmission is how long lifespan it has and how easier and less costly is to fix if anything happens.
Also i like to have total control(i even deactivate the stability system on my car) which manual allows me to do fully. I can downshift when i want i can put empty and roll and save gas etc.
Modern automatic cars are more resilient as well. If you refer to ESC (Electronic Stability Control), you can disable that on automatic, too. Automatic cars also have the option to manually switch gears. Plus, you don't even have to use the stick, but can just switch gears on the side of the wheel. There is also a "N(eutral)" gear in automatic cars. Only downsides are when the electronics doesn't work and you have to mechanically unlock the stick, and that the start-stop automatic doesn't work as well as with manuals, in which you could just change to neutral to stop the engine and first gear, to start it again.

Agreed with the things you wrote above and especially the part about accelerating. The acceleration lane is called like that for a reason. Else, I would also include "merge only very late right before you have to instead of right away, because you otherwise block the lane".
Jul 23, 2019 11:00 AM

Jun 2008
Noboru said:
Monad said:
Modern automatic cars are more resilient as well. If you refer to ESC (Electronic Stability Control), you can disable that on automatic, too. Automatic cars also have the option to manually switch gears. Plus, you don't even have to use the stick, but can just switch gears on the side of the wheel. There is also a "N(eutral)" gear in automatic cars. Only downsides are when the electronics doesn't work and you have to mechanically unlock the stick, and that the start-stop automatic doesn't work as well as with manuals, in which you could just change to neutral to stop the engine and first gear, to start it again.

Agreed with the things you wrote above and especially the part about accelerating. The acceleration lane is called like that for a reason. Else, I would also include "merge only very late right before you have to instead of right away, because you otherwise block the lane".

Automatic gearboxes are NOT more resilient. This is completely false.
And when it develops an issue you are fucked. Once opened it will never work as originally and constantly have issues. I've seen lot's of cases.
As for gear changing that even allows downshift and neutral etc it depends on what kind of automatic because there are many variations with different costs. This is not a standard. Not all do what you say.
I failed to mention that manual also allows people to be better drivers because it forces them to engage more. The comfort of automatic allows not only people that shouldn't drive be on the road but also allows careless behaviour. Manual by it's nature forces you do pay more attention at the road and your driving.

As about the stability system. Yeas i know that whether your car allows you to deactivate it or not is not necessary tied with being manual or automatic. I was just mentioning that to show how i like to engage with my driving, not as anything to do with manual and auto. That is why it is in a parenthesis.

Your comment about merging late is very correct. Not only that but i see some bad drivers trying to merge early and when they can't because there is a car at the side of them on the road they try to merge, instead of driving further and let the car pass them while keeping a decent speed or accelerating more and passing and merging, they instead push the brakes with cars behind them accelerating and a whole mess happens by making everyone trying to stop to not hit them.
And the funny thing about all this horrible drivers is that if you horn at them they don't even know why you did it. They can't even realize what dangerous shitty things they do. If you tell them "wtf are you doing braking on an accelerating lane with so much road free in-frond of you?", They will be all like "i was just trying to get onto the main road, what is your issue?". They are completely ignorant.

Jul 23, 2019 11:09 AM

Mar 2015
Nah, costs aside I don't need one right now and I feel like I'd cause an accident 5 seconds after betting behind the wheel so I'm lowkey scared of driving a car lol Maybe I'll learn some time in the future tho, would probably nice to have a license just in case I'd someday really need it.
Jul 23, 2019 11:15 AM

Mar 2014
Do I know how insofar as turning it on, knowing what the gas and brake pedal do, and what a steering wheel does? Yeah sure. I could probably work an automatic.

Do I trust myself driving? Fuck no.
“Loddfafnir, listen to my counsel: You will fare well if you follow it, It will help you much if you heed it. If aware that another is wicked, say so: Make no truce or treaty with foes.” - Havamal 127
Jul 23, 2019 11:57 AM

Jan 2009
Monad said:
Automatic gearboxes are NOT more resilient. This is completely false.
And when it develops an issue you are fucked. Once opened it will never work as originally and constantly have issues. I've seen lot's of cases.
As for gear changing that even allows downshift and neutral etc it depends on what kind of automatic because there are many variations with different costs. This is not a standard. Not all do what you say.
I was comparing modern automatic cars with older automatic models. They have become more resilient. Enough resilient to last for several years without issues. My car has neutral and pretty much every other automatic car I have seen that is from this decade and even the cars from the previous one.

Manual forces you more to keep one hand free for shifting here and there, while you can always use two hands for steering on automatic.

As for merging: it's their fault if they merge early. As long as I can use the free lane, why not?
Jul 23, 2019 5:58 PM

Sep 2018
DreamingBeats said:
juiccbox said:

it is, when you look at the statistics.
every year, 3 million people in the US are injured as a result of a car accident, about 2 million suffer permanent damages and, on average, over 90 people die every day as a result of such accidents. even if you are the greatest driver there is, there is always the chance someone else will rear-end or hit your car on the side, possibly while trying to flee police officers. the US population stands at around 327 million (data as of last year)
https://www.driverknowledge.com/car-accident-statistics/

gee thanks for scaring me even more lmao
Jul 23, 2019 7:49 PM

Feb 2013
Prius' drive like go-carts ezpz, but yeah I've driven trucks too. Stick-shift I fear though
Jul 24, 2019 1:05 PM

Oct 2012
Noboru said:
katsucats said:

Besides the lack of fencing in your 2 videos, it's actually the same thing. It wouldn't work in those narrower roads if there was bumper to bumper traffic, which was very much my case. I've driven narrower mountain roads before with either one lane or sparse traffic with no problems. The problem is having to stop and go with an impatient guy behind you riding your bumper.

As for the acceleration lane, acceleration lanes onto a highway only works when there's no traffic. If you're speeding up a highway and you see traffic but you decide to accelerate anyways, then that makes you the poor driver IMO. The guy in front is either going to drive to the end and be forced to merge because there's no road left (or stop if the guy on the main road is a jackass and doesn't let him pass), or merge early if there is an opportunity, or slow down and put his blinkers on to merge early so he doesn't suffer the fate of the guy who had to stop. There's nothing wrong with any of those. It might be annoying if he came to a complete stop in the middle of the road.

Since I drive stick, I always hang further back in stop and go traffic and leave plenty of space in front of me (which actually helps traffic, anytime someone breaks, it creates inefficiency). Once in a while, there's some jackass who thinks space on the road is always meant to be filled up, and he flies into a road rage because he thinks I'm a shitty driver if I'm not within half a car of the guy in front of me. So I watch this guy pull all these moves to try to get 1 single car ahead. Most of the times they get stuck in a slower lane. It's hilarious.
katsucatsJul 24, 2019 1:16 PM
My subjective reviews: katsureview.wordpress.com
THE CHAT CLUB.
Jul 24, 2019 1:16 PM

Jan 2009
katsucats said:
Besides the lack of fencing in your 2 videos, it's actually the same thing. It wouldn't work in those narrower roads if there was bumper to bumper traffic, which was very much my case. I've driven narrower mountain roads before with either one lane or sparse traffic with no problems. The problem is having to stop and go with an impatient guy behind you riding your bumper.
Ah okay, fair enough, then. I also dislike impatient people when it's a place where you're supposed to drive slower, anyway. It wasn't a mountain road, but I had an impatient person get so close to me I thought they would hit me. And I was driving at the speed limit or slightly above.

Oh and btw.: in stop-and-go traffic, automatic is more relaxing (@ automatic-vs-manual-transmission topic)
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

» Fill this thread with the most questionable statement or two you can think of!

IAmOdie - Apr 20

39 by Zarutaku »»
12 minutes ago

» Planning a Spain Trip

redlockhigh - Apr 8

20 by LightWorker »»
26 minutes ago

Poll: » Are you mentally ill?

Ejrodiew - 57 minutes ago

3 by LightWorker »»
39 minutes ago

» Why should we have sympathy for drug addicts? ( 1 2 )

HarryRambod22 - Feb 10, 2022

67 by 88expert »»
2 hours ago

» Is English your native language? ( 1 2 )

DesuMaiden - Apr 16

67 by vasipi4946 »»
2 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.