Forum Settings
Forums

Have you ever watched an anime or manga and thought,"How the heck did it became so popular"?

New
Jul 15, 2019 3:16 AM

Aug 2015
Basically what i want to know about are,the animes or mangas, which you guys never thought, would become so popular, or the series, which you guys think , does not deserve its popularity, either due to bad characters,story or animation.

For me, it's definitely Shingeki no kyojin and OPM

Fyi,i really like Snk, and really think that it deserves to be popular, but definitely not as much as it has now become.What makes me stop, from giving it a perfect score, is it's main whiny protagonist and bad art(for manga) along with some other minor problems.

OPM,on the other hand is a series which i never really liked,from the characters to story, there is nothing interesting about this series,which is a surprise,as i really loves superhero genre and an overpowered Mc, the only saving grace is its beautiful art by murata sensei

There are few other series too, which i think does not deserve its popularity but these two are at the top
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 15, 2019 3:27 AM
Jul 2017
I always thought that SnK didn't feel as popular as it looks on MAL.
Sure the plot description is really interesting but it doesn't perform as well after the strong beginning until at the final arcs.
Along with that one punch man rising to popularity so much was also very unexpected.
"You are the result of 4 billion years of evolution. Act like it."
"Why don't you eat make up? Then you can be beautiful on the inside too."
"'Sick'? Call me 'twisted'. 'Sick' makes it sound like there's a cure."
"What's messed up isn't my thinking, what's messed up is this god damn world."
"The world isn't perfect, but its out there doing the best it can for us. That's what makes it so damn beautiful."
Jul 15, 2019 3:28 AM
Mar 2019
Akame ga kill and Rising of the Shield Hero
Jul 15, 2019 3:33 AM

Jun 2016
Akame Ga Kill, SAO, Shield Hero, Violet Evergarden, Darling in the Tropess
Jul 15, 2019 3:38 AM
May 2018
I do think some animes are overrated, but overall I still do understand why others appreciate them.

- I am no fan of SnK, but I understand people like the cruel side of it. No character is ever safe, that makes it epic to follow!

- As for OPM, what made it popular is the concept itself. Case in point: the beginning is the most popular part, whether that be for the anime or the manga. It's just so good to discover, but then, it becomes dull and boring.

- I hated Your Name, but I understand people feel attached to it for the emotions it gave them.

- I've never even been curious about Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, but it stands out so much from the average anime. I'm pretty sure that's what people like most about it (that, and the memes xD).

The only one I don't understand at all is Gintama. I just can't find any appeal to it, yet it seems to be a big phenomenon...
Everything changes. Even the happy and funny things eventually disappear. How can I still enjoy this place then?
- Furukawa Nagisa (Clannad)

You have to make a choice. Either you give up on your soul for the sake of science, or you give up on science to save your soul. In my case, the soul was already in pieces.
- Lloyd Asplund (Code Geass)

Do you understand the meaning behind Nunnaly's smile? She can't see or walk. So there are things in this world that she knows she can't do alone. Her smile... is her only way to show gratitude.
- Lelouch Vi Britannia (Code Geass)

Death is part of Life.
- ... Me.
Jul 15, 2019 3:39 AM

May 2010
Vorpality said:

Akame ga Kill, SAO and VE deserve their popularity for being good.

Go rewatch Haibane renmei and jack off to Yuasa, and stop posting in AD now.

kthxbai.

If anyone does not love the Lord
Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 3:41 AM
May 2019
No all anime that are popular are popular for a reason, it means that are people that do enjoy them even if you don't.
People in general have a different tastes.

I just don't understand why is it so difficult to grasp that others like things that you don't and vice versa.
This is like 10th tread with the same question why is X(overrated,underrated,popular,unpopular,hated,loved,etc...) and the answer is the same different anime fans have different taste.
Jul 15, 2019 3:42 AM

Jun 2016
Johan said:
Vorpality said:

Akame ga Kill, SAO and VE deserve their popularity for being good.

Go rewatch Haibane renmei and jack off to Yuasa, and stop posting in AD now.

kthxbai.

Careful you don't cut yourself on all that edge, mate.
Jul 15, 2019 3:43 AM

May 2010
Xstasy said:
No all anime that are popular are popular for a reason, it means that are people that do enjoy them even if you don't.

I just don't understand why is it so difficult to grasp that others like things that you don't and vice versa.
This is like 10th tread with the same question why is X(overrated,underrated,popular,unpopular,hated,loved,etc...) and the answer is the same different anime fans have different taste.

Why are all you people who joined this website in like may/july 2019 talking on these topics as if you're some kind of expert?

Yo who are you.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 3:46 AM
May 2019
Johan said:
Xstasy said:

Why are all you people who joined this website in like may/july 2019 talking on these topics as if you're some kind of expert?

Yo who are you.

“Who am I? I am that. Nothing can change that. Words, intellect and concepts can never reach that. It is the perfect silence without vibration.”
― Amit Ray, Peace Bliss Beauty and Truth: Living with Positivity
Jul 15, 2019 3:48 AM

Jun 2016
Johan said:
Xstasy said:

Yo who are you.

Imagine flexing being on an anime forum for nine years.
Jul 15, 2019 3:53 AM
Nov 2017
- Akame Ga Kill : I don't know why it is popular. For me at least, the story is not really interesting and beside Akame, the other character is just like there for Akame only.

- SAO : Well, I guess I know why it is so popular, and has a lot of haters at the same time. Because the premise is so good, yet people keep watching it just to follow it.

- SNK : I like the show, but the protagonist almost made me drop it. I mean, c'mon, beside from season 3 part 2, Eren is just a typical shonen character.

- Tate No Yusha : Again, good premise but then it just become a franchise with "cute" girl, but I'm actually surprised that people still love it.

- Kimi No Nawa : I watched it, but it is just an average romance movie. Nothing is really new and, well...it's not sad at all (for me at least). I watched Hotarubi No Mori e, and it's much more better than it. Sadly, it's not popular.

- Darling in the franXxx : I don't know why, but I just hate the main character. It become popular just because of someone. But again, I don't really like bad MC, even though the others is kinda okay.
Jul 15, 2019 3:58 AM

Jan 2018
I think it's popular because more people watch it than ever before. Shounen is like portals to different dimension and attack on titan just happened to be where the unusual stuffs happening. I don't watch Jojo but I think it's fair for it's popularity given how people enjoy making memes out of it.
Jul 15, 2019 4:28 AM

Jun 2017
Angel Beats' popularity is still a mystery to me. I don't think it's bad but #10 popular anime of all time is strange... The same for Death Parade

I don't mention any shounen and isekai cuz they're all popular and we can't do anything about them.

Jul 15, 2019 4:34 AM

Oct 2018
-After a lot of thinking to myself I still have no damn clue what the interest in Overlord is.
-Another one is Your Name. The movie is fine, but doesn’t deserve the rating it gets on mal.
-Oregairu is also fine but I found so many issues with it I almost dropped it. I guess I can see the appeal in it with the main character but the drama and everything else was awful.

Jul 15, 2019 5:40 AM

Aug 2015
Gilliesss said:
-After a lot of thinking to myself I still have no damn clue what the interest in Overlord is.
-Another one is Your Name. The movie is fine, but doesn’t deserve the rating it gets on mal.
-Oregairu is also fine but I found so many issues with it I almost dropped it. I guess I can see the appeal in it with the main character but the drama and everything else was awful.

Agree with your review about Your name,i also found it to be incredibly generic romantic drama, which you can find in most of the romance anime's and yet, for some reason, it became so popular and although i also liked it, but not as much as many others who gave it perfect 10

Jul 15, 2019 5:53 AM

Oct 2015
Every damn isekai. It's the same shit literally 75% of the time and people still eat it up
Jul 15, 2019 5:59 AM

Oct 2018
madarchod said:
Gilliesss said:

Agree with your review about Your name,i also found it to be incredibly generic romantic drama, which you can find in most of the romance anime's and yet, for some reason, it became so popular and although i also liked it, but nvisualuch as many others who gave it perfect 10

that movie is famous for its animation and visuals.
Jul 15, 2019 6:01 AM

Dec 2015
every episode of black clover i watched i would ask that question
TIME TO END PARTITION WITH A BANG. I AM ONCE AGAIN ASKING FOR YOUR FINACIAL SUPPROT https://www.sinnfeinbookshop.com/jewellery-1/
Jul 15, 2019 6:01 AM

Feb 2018
Hunter x hunter and my hero academia(especially my hero it’s so generic)
The answer to 1984 is 1776
Jul 15, 2019 6:02 AM

Apr 2014
Darker than Black. I don't really see what's so great about it, besides some of the action choreography. Also, the story is really vague, with not really a decent ending.
Jul 15, 2019 6:02 AM

Jun 2019
I want to say Evangelion, but I think me saying that is just a product of time. I watched it last year, and didn't understand the hype at all, because I had seen quite a few shows that just did that style of storytelling better. If you put it in its timeframe, though, you can see how many things it inspired.

But on its own, I stand by the statement. I don't think it's all that.

Jul 15, 2019 6:04 AM

Jul 2013
Youjo Senki is my number one response. Not because I found it bad or anything (I enjoyed the series myself), but because I never thought that an anime with such ridiculous premise (Japanese salaryman dies and gets reincarnated into an arian military loli) would get so popular among anime fans. I thought the general reaction would be something like Killing Bites, something dumb, but enjoyable, but, nope, it ended becoming one of the most popular anime of the season and the year. These days, I'm still wondering how it became so noteworthy.
Jul 15, 2019 6:08 AM

Dec 2014
Xstasy said:

So your argument is that people like and dislike different things but then you're upset that different people dislike different things?

I will never understand how Re: Zero, Shield Hero and Attack on Titan got as popular as they did.
Jul 15, 2019 6:12 AM
Jul 2018
Milk_is_Special said:
Darker than Black. I don't really see what's so great about it, besides some of the action choreography. Also, the story is really vague, with not really a decent ending.

I agree that there's nothing really great about it but the main character is probably what made the show popular.
Jul 15, 2019 6:46 AM
May 2019
desusama said:
Xstasy said:

So your argument is that people like and dislike different things but then you're upset that different people dislike different things?

I will never understand how Re: Zero, Shield Hero and Attack on Titan got as popular as they did.

I'm not upset that different people like or dislike different things I respect other people preferences.
I only have a problem with people who demand from others to like/dislike whatever they like/dislike.

I'm not sure where did you get the idea that I'm upset but nevertheless I hope this clears any misconceptions.
Jul 15, 2019 6:55 AM

Dec 2014
Xstasy said:
desusama said:

I'm not upset that different people like or dislike different things I respect other people preferences.
I only have a problem with people who demand from others to like/dislike whatever they like/dislike.

I'm not sure where did you get the idea that I'm upset but nevertheless I hope this clears any misconceptions.

Well you did go "all anime that are popular are popular for a reason" in a thread asking which anime people cannot understand the popularity of. Thanks for clearing up any misconceptions though.
Jul 15, 2019 6:58 AM

Oct 2017
Nope, because I can understand everything.
Jul 15, 2019 10:28 AM
Jul 2018
Aside from social media and vocal minorities:

Death Note had the fortune of being one of the first anime to get a dubbed version shortly after the Japanese original and be broadcast abroad at prime time in a popular channel. While Monster was less fortunate, its license was cancelled and not all DVDs were released.

Same for late Ghibili movies. They are nowhere near the quality of previous decade when they won the Oscar, let alone their 80s and 90s films that also targeted older audiences. But they have traditional connections with Disney and Hollywood

Jul 15, 2019 10:32 AM

Oct 2013
I watched many of them
especially neon genesis evangellion
Jul 15, 2019 11:35 AM
Feb 2014
In my opinion, these anime do not deserve the popularity they get:

Angel Beats!

Byousoku 5 Centimeter

Durarara!!

Gintama

Hana yori Dango

Hyouka

Kaichou wa Maid-sama!

Mahou Shoujo Madoka★Magica

Nagi no Asu kara

Saiunkoku Monogatari

Seirei no Moribito

Vampire Knight
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
Jul 15, 2019 11:43 AM

Sep 2018
Kaichou wa maid-sama and darling in the franxx. I just don’t see much of the appeal and they’re just very forgettable. But if someone found some enjoyment in them why should I ruin the fun, at least someone got something out of them
Jul 15, 2019 11:45 AM

Mar 2017
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - They make bullying out to be cute. I don't get how people could enjoy watching that.
A møøse once bit my sister...
Jul 15, 2019 11:47 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Its usually not hard to see why a time and place equals a product that gets big, if it's deserving or not.

The only one that kinda puzzles me but I KINDA GET IT are any of Makoto Shinkai's work. I get they're pretty to look at but are people just starved for same looking heterosexuals to fall in love with one another in dramatic fashion. Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is unwatchable and if you've watched basically any Ghibli movie you've done better and the backgrounds look good yes but the characters don't give you anything to remember or want more for.
Jul 15, 2019 11:59 AM

Jun 2019
I agree with your main assertion concerning Shingeki no Kyojin, I don't know why SNK has become as popular as it is, I've put the second season on hold atm as I was finding it hard to get through. Despite all the hype I just don't find it engaging enough to keep me hooked, watching one episode after another.

The first season really drew me into its world and certainly piqued my interest, but I've felt the second season has been somewhat of a let dow. I've heard that the 3rd season and ending sound interesting so expect I'll resurrect S2 at some point and push through.
Jul 15, 2019 12:03 PM

Nov 2018
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai.....

It was decent, but I simply did not understand what the hype was all about....
Saying that, I do have some high hopes for the movie though
Jul 15, 2019 12:09 PM

Jan 2018
I just recently started watching Blue Exorcist and couldn't even get 10 episodes in. I really have no idea how it got its popularity
What a beautiful Duwang
Jul 15, 2019 12:15 PM
Apr 2017
The one that left me puzzled the most was undoubtedly angel beats. Death note I can fully well understand why it became popular, cringy edgy male teens are and were a sizable chunk of anime viewership but even when trying to put myself in someone else's shoes, I can't still understand angel beats' popularity. It doesn't do anything better than any other anime I've watched, it's the basic definition of "average" so far as I'm concerned.

That's it. Other anime I don't really agree with their score/fanbase but I can definitely see why they'd be so popular.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jul 15, 2019 12:16 PM

Jan 2013
Elfen Lied, Akame ga Kill and the Tokyo Ghoul sequels. (Especially S2 and S4)
I guess the appeal for Akame was the fact
Elfen Lied, it's alright but I guess it was THE edge show that just got popular.
Tokyo Ghoul sequels ... - I guess it's just popular because of it's name now and the known popularity from the manga and first season.
Tokyo Ghoul:Re worked quite well because it was set as a timeskip but if you dont follow it up with anytihng at all in the sequel to :Re ... just shame honestly.
PrOxAntoJul 15, 2019 12:27 PM
Jul 15, 2019 4:29 PM

May 2010
Stripes said:
Its usually not hard to see why a time and place equals a product that gets big, if it's deserving or not.

The only one that kinda puzzles me but I KINDA GET IT are any of Makoto Shinkai's work. I get they're pretty to look at but are people just starved for same looking heterosexuals to fall in love with one another in dramatic fashion. Hoshi wo Ou Kodomo is unwatchable and if you've watched basically any Ghibli movie you've done better and the backgrounds look good yes but the characters don't give you anything to remember or want more for.

Why do you do this?

Kimi no na Wa is better than anything Miyazaki has ever produced. Don't do this.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 4:32 PM

May 2010
petran79 said:

Death Note had the fortune of being one of the first anime to get a dubbed version shortly after the Japanese original and be broadcast abroad at prime time in a popular channel. While Monster was less fortunate, its license was cancelled and not all DVDs were released.

Same for late Ghibili movies. They are nowhere near the quality of previous decade when they won the Oscar, let alone their 80s and 90s films that also targeted older audiences. But they have traditional connections with Disney and Hollywood

15 / 07 / 19

After searching through multiple threads on AD i have come across the daily award for dumbest post of the day.

I;'m guessing you never watched "When Marnie was there" or "Tale of Princess Kaguya" cause those are both unabated masterpieces.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 4:32 PM

May 2010
petran79 said:

15 / 07 / 19

After searching through multiple threads on AD i have come across the daily award for dumbest post of the day.

I;'m guessing you never watched "When Marnie was there" or "Tale of Princess Kaguya" cause those are both unabated masterpieces.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 5:03 PM

May 2018
Another one of those overrated thread?
Jul 15, 2019 5:08 PM

Mar 2016
mwalimu said:
Karakai Jouzu no Takagi-san - They make bullying out to be cute. I don't get how people could enjoy watching that.

Hmm, this is hard, but I do agree with you, which is why I prefer the other version of the story(manga exclusive), which is about Takagi and her interaction with her daughter, which she teases a lot.

But there's a rising trend of teasing female characters towards male characters, a lot of their mangas are popular.

As for the thread, I still can't explain why I loved Shield hero before, now I hate it, but I'm not surprised why it got popular, or rather the majority of 24 episodes light novel anime.
Jul 15, 2019 5:19 PM

Dec 2016
Going to take an unusual opinion in this thread and say Steins;Gate. No matter how incredible the second half is, on a first viewing the first half is a complete slog to get into without much in the way of interesting characters (Okabe seems to get better later). Considering that’s **12 episodes* of mediocrity/a slog on the first watch it’s really surprising to me Steins;Gate is as popular as it is.
Jul 15, 2019 7:04 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Johan said:
Stripes said:

Why do you do this?

Kimi no na Wa is better than anything Miyazaki has ever produced. Don't do this.

You've watched almost 3k anime and this is your opinion. Yikes.

Bland teenagers whose stories don't matter by the end of the film aren't my cup of tea and Shinkai's writing puts me to sleep (quite literally).
Jul 15, 2019 7:32 PM

May 2010
Stripes said:
Johan said:

Why do you do this?

You've watched almost 3k anime and this is your opinion. Yikes.

Bland teenagers whose stories don't matter by the end of the film aren't my cup of tea and Shinkai's writing puts me to sleep (quite literally).

Seems like a you problem, not a Shinkai problem. Maybe you just can't appreciate good anime?

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Jul 15, 2019 7:42 PM

Oct 2013
Oh look, another overrated thread in disguise and of course snk has to be in it.

@madarchod

The better question to be ask would be, why fairy tail is so popular.
Jul 15, 2019 7:49 PM

Apr 2019
Johan said:
Stripes said:

Why do you do this?

Miyazaki and Shinkai are different kinds of storytellers, its not right to say that one is better than another.

Kimi no na Wa is a great movie, as Chihiro, Mononoke and Nausicaa.

If you want to insult someone then pls insult the user, not the little old man Miyazaki.

Jul 15, 2019 7:57 PM

May 2010
Gingko said:
Johan said:

Why do you do this?

Miyazaki and Shinkai are different kinds of storytellers, its not right to say that one is better than another.

Kimi no na Wa is a great movie, as Chihiro, Mononoke and Nausicaa.

If you want to insult someone then pls insult the user, not the little old man Miyazaki.

No disrespect to Miyazaki - he has 4 films in my top 10 all time (Spirited Away, Mononoke, Totoro, and Howl's moving castle)

But I do believe Kimi no na wa was better than any of them individually.

Jesus Christ
Let him be accursed
O Lord, Amen!
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

72 by RobertBobert »»
5 minutes ago

» Have you ever come across anime-related fakes?

RobertBobert - 44 minutes ago

5 by RobertBobert »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - 6 hours ago

10 by LoveLikeBlood »»
9 minutes ago

» Did you know that anime is amazing?

KryzakamiHrybami - 2 hours ago

11 by LoveLikeBlood »»
10 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Yesterday

40 by Luchipher-Zen »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.