Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fire Force
Available on Manga Store
New
Jul 12, 2019 5:42 PM
Apr 2017
It's being done mostly by Shaft, so I came in expecting there to be some quirks in the directing, but my god, this shit is unwatchable at times. The pacing is awful, the comedy never lands (I cringed so hard when they tried to break the 4th wall), the fight scenes have awkward shot composition so it's hard to put together what exactly is happening half the time, there are weird pauses in dialogue everywhere. Even the animation took a hit after just the first episode, which I was expecting, but now everything looks even flatter and more boring than in the first episode. It's just a mess, which I hate to say, as I thought this looked like it had a lot of potential, but after 2 episodes of non-stop jarring directing, I think I'm dropping this. No way I could deal with this for 48 episodes.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 12, 2019 6:04 PM

Jan 2009
lol the source material is said to be not that good compared to Soul Eater that was made by the same mangaka/author

the anime actually made the story better with its better directing/execution wtf

for example

Even when it comes to Fire Force‘s sense of humor, which I considered one of the biggest weaknesses of the source material, this adaptation is more likely to put a smile on your face after Yase’s intervention; the flow in and out the dreaded gag zone is more natural so there’s not as much dissonance, and jokes that were once a simple, barely humorous statement are now accompanied by corresponding visual gags. Seeing Yase do a satisfactory job with the less inspired material does give me more confidence about him tackling the more compelling bits of the manga.

and you can read more of how the anime made the story better here https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2019/07/05/fire-force-production-notes-01/
Jul 12, 2019 6:12 PM
Feb 2016
really? i found the pacing to be fine, the gags made me chuckle, and the show direction to be great. maybe just me tho. also the op/ed are pretty good too
Jul 12, 2019 6:13 PM
Aug 2018
I just with there were less pauses in-between dialogue. I've never had a problem like this in any other anime
Jul 12, 2019 6:23 PM
Mar 2019
What??? The directing here is actually really good, the first episode especially, the blending of music with the fight scenes and intense moments is by far the best of any shounen anime I've watched (haven't watched One Piece though). We've really only had 1 proper fight scene and that was more as an introduction to Shinra's character thus it didn't focus on raw spectacle, the choppiness gave it a sense of panic which fit perfectly thematically. The second episode didn't have basically any fighting except Maki vs Shinra and Arthur which was mainly used for comedy, the animation most definitely did not take a hit, it still looks clean and looks spectacular at the moments it needs to. I mean one to its own but I would say really don't drop this the narrative and characters are great.
Jul 12, 2019 6:23 PM

Mar 2013
literally unwatchable amirite

is shitty direction gonna be the new catch all phrase that people use when they dislike a show but don't really know why
Jul 12, 2019 6:49 PM

Jan 2011
Has an account for over two years and now makes a post on it. LOL! I love peopel who just make accounts to bitch out new shows.
I haven't updated in years but now I have changed that. I'll be free soon.
Jul 12, 2019 6:49 PM
Apr 2017
fst said:
literally unwatchable amirite

is shitty direction gonna be the new catch all phrase that people use when they dislike a show but don't really know why

Shot composition and pacing both fall under directing. Yes, directing is a very broad term and just saying that the directing in a show is bad doesn't really say much, so that's why I elaborated and said what about the directing I thought was bad. And unwatchable is admittedly harsh, but it's the truth, at least in my case. This show is genuinely hard to watch because of how poorly put together it is on a fundamental level.
MasutadoJul 12, 2019 7:12 PM
Jul 12, 2019 7:03 PM
Apr 2017
Phantom24 said:
What??? The directing here is actually really good, the first episode especially, the blending of music with the fight scenes and intense moments is by far the best of any shounen anime I've watched (haven't watched One Piece though). We've really only had 1 proper fight scene and that was more as an introduction to Shinra's character thus it didn't focus on raw spectacle, the choppiness gave it a sense of panic which fit perfectly thematically. The second episode didn't have basically any fighting except Maki vs Shinra and Arthur which was mainly used for comedy, the animation most definitely did not take a hit, it still looks clean and looks spectacular at the moments it needs to. I mean one to its own but I would say really don't drop this the narrative and characters are great.

I'll give ep 1 props, it certainly wasn't as bad as the second episode and the sakuga was very clean, but the issues I mentioned were still there. The 2 fights, the train and main infernal fight, were awkward and not nearly as clean looking as they could've been if the shots flowed a bit better. The first episode was also littered with pauses in dialogue, and I'd have to disagree that the music does not piece together with the action at all, it was just kind of there.

Ep 2 animation wise was still decent, but character models lacked detail in a lot of the shots and things just generally felt flatter. I don't know quite how to put it, but the first episode was just more interesting to look at I guess.
Jul 12, 2019 7:21 PM
Aug 2016
I think they really need to improve on the joke delivery somehow, I dont know. Music is okay, but if I had to compare, I really loved Vinland Saga’s ost and keep going back to listen to certain scenes for the music.
The world also feels empty since the main characters barely interact with anybody else.
I dont know if other people like it or not, but I don’t like the sound effects they use for explosions, or for most of the fire scenes.

I believe Vinland Saga will overtake Fireforce, because to me, Vinland Saga is nailing every scene in terms of music and art quality.
I’ve read both fire force and vinland saga to its current chapter, and can say that fire force just doesn’t seem to have much going for it. The fights are too short, like Hiro Mashima short.
Jul 12, 2019 7:29 PM
Aug 2016
Phantom24 said:

There is no way it was by far the best first episode. I believe, on the top of my head, My Hero Academia and Naruto were way better first episodes, and made me sympathize with the characters from the very beginning. I could not with Shinra because they barely revealed anything about him, except that maybe some neighbors didn’t like him. They never showed how his childhood at school was like or any sort and skipped him into joining fire force.
Jul 12, 2019 7:34 PM

Jan 2009
again the source material is the main problem

The one thing holding me back from an even more enthusiastic recommendation is that the source material’s writing wasn’t quite as inspired as its visuals to begin with. The overarching mystery narrative was exactly compelling enough to keep me reading and it did lead to entertaining fights that should be quite the spectacle in the anime, but without the support of a cast as charismatic as Soul Eater‘s and suffering from awkward tonal whiplash on the regular, it was hard to feel truly passionate about the series. Considering how the anime’s team have managed to take the visuals to a new level, though, why not believe that they could improve other aspects as well?
more from this thread i posted earlier https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=1790020
Jul 12, 2019 7:37 PM
Apr 2017
Luv2Dgirls said:
I think they really need to improve on the joke delivery somehow, I dont know. Music is okay, but if I had to compare, I really loved Vinland Saga’s ost and keep going back to listen to certain scenes for the music.
The world also feels empty since the main characters barely interact with anybody else.
I dont know if other people like it or not, but I don’t like the sound effects they use for explosions, or for most of the fire scenes.

I believe Vinland Saga will overtake Fireforce, because to me, Vinland Saga is nailing every scene in terms of music and art quality.
I’ve read both fire force and vinland saga to its current chapter, and can say that fire force just doesn’t seem to have much going for it. The fights are too short, like Hiro Mashima short.

This is exactly how I feel. The jokes have never really landed for me these 2 episodes. And Dr.Stone and Vinland Saga both have incredible osts so far that match up perfectly with the scenes so as to strengthen the emotion and impact behind them, which is not the case for Fire Force. And I also totally agree with the emptiness of the world. Yes, there are crowds of people on the trains and crowding around the fires, but they just feel like a bunch of mannequins standing there. The only point I would disagree with is the sound effects, I actually quite enjoy the imploding-esque effect that gives some of the attacks impact.
Jul 12, 2019 7:43 PM

Aug 2013
Masutado said:
Luv2Dgirls said:

This is exactly how I feel. The jokes have never really landed for me these 2 episodes. And Dr.Stone and Vinland Saga both have incredible osts so far that match up perfectly with the scenes so as to strengthen the emotion and impact behind them, which is not the case for Fire Force. And I also totally agree with the emptiness of the world. Yes, there are crowds of people on the trains and crowding around the fires, but they just feel like a bunch of mannequins standing there. The only point I would disagree with is the sound effects, I actually quite enjoy the imploding-esque effect that gives some of the attacks impact.

I must be the only one who does not like Dr. Stone this season. But honestly like if you feel the impression of the show so far at this point isn't for you, there's no penalty for just dropping it. You could just slap it on hold and wait for like a month to pass before doing a short binge to see if there's any change.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 12, 2019 7:47 PM
Aug 2016
Masutado said:
Luv2Dgirls said:

Ah I see, those sound effects always reminds me of JoJo and I liked it in JoJo. Maybe hearing those similar sound effects just don’t feel right in another anime to me.
Jul 12, 2019 7:58 PM
Aug 2016
DedPanda said:
Masutado said:

I must be the only one who does not like Dr. Stone this season. But honestly like if you feel the impression of the show so far at this point isn't for you, there's no penalty for just dropping it. You could just slap it on hold and wait for like a month to pass before doing a short binge to see if there's any change.

I don’t hate fire force, its still more interesting to me compared to the rest of the season’s shows, just naming some complaints that I believe they coulda did better.
Jul 12, 2019 8:00 PM

Aug 2013
Luv2Dgirls said:
DedPanda said:

I don’t hate fire force, its still more interesting to me compared to the rest of the season’s shows, just naming some complaints that I believe they coulda did better.

could be worse though
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 12, 2019 8:03 PM
Aug 2016
DedPanda said:
Luv2Dgirls said:

could be worse though

True, you could have an adaptation like Arifureta. The author should have never complained and just let White Fox do their thing. The other studio probably butchered the series.
Jul 12, 2019 8:06 PM

Aug 2013
Luv2Dgirls said:
DedPanda said:

could be worse though

True, you could have an adaptation like Arifureta. The author should have never complained and just let White Fox do their thing. The other studio probably butchered the series.

that shit was so bad that I don't even want to bother checking out the source. Like holy hell. Poor White Fox.
Don't believe the hype.
Jul 12, 2019 8:07 PM
Mar 2019
Luv2Dgirls said:

There is no way it was by far the best first episode. I believe, on the top of my head, My Hero Academia and Naruto were way better first episodes, and made me sympathize with the characters from the very beginning. I could not with Shinra because they barely revealed anything about him, except that maybe some neighbors didn’t like him. They never showed how his childhood at school was like or any sort and skipped him into joining fire force.

Hm maybe some personal bias from me since I have been with the manga since the beginning, but I feel a lot more sympathy for Shinra's character compared to Naruto or Deku. In the Naruto case, Shinra's situation is basically the exact same, no parent's made fun of by everyone else because of their goofy nature, looking for attention, all the adults look down on them because in Shinra's case he's smile after he "killed his parents" and Naruto with the nine-tails. But the main thing that makes Shinra's situation a whole lot worse is that he was wholehearted blamed for the death of his mother and he witnessed them die giving him a sense of guilt that Naruto didn't have. Also the PTSD from his mother's death is something that no child needs to bear. With Deku, the only sympathy he get's is that he didn't get a quirk to realise his dreams, everyone looks down on him, simarly to Shinra but he still has a loving mother and friends and hes generally more optimistic which shows how much better he has it. I guess its personal opinion but PTSD with children is way worse than anything any of the major protags in shounen deal with. I'm guessing you skipped over some parts cause all of this was explored especially in the big infernal fight scene.

Masutado said:

???? I don't really understand how you can say that Vinland Saga's music and especially Dr.Stone's music was any better than Fire Force. Vinland Saga was maybe on par with but Dr.Stone's OST was kinda a joke to me. It never really adds anything to the scenes and is just there. Fire Forces fight scenes blend music, SFX and clean animation perfectly, go back and watch the fight scene, the orchestral music is epic, fits thematically and just gives everything more depth. IMO way better than Dr.Stone. Vinland was good but I can't say it fits perfectly, sets the scene and tone for scenes but for Vinland the pulling factor is the narrative and characters whilst Fire Force is mainly characters, the fight scene and mystery. IMO Dr.Stone is kinda overated maybe a max of 7-8 rating from me, its kinda just there and doesn't actively work to make me want to watch the next episode unlike DanMachi, Vinland and Fire Force.

Edit: I'll give an example with Dr.Stone's OST, the scene where Senku is talking about the lions has this weirdly epic music playing in the background, that doesn't fit the situation or what Senku is explaining. Another one is where Senku is asking what the most important thing for a civilisation is, the music made me question what they wanted from us like, what? why is this music even here??
Phantom24Jul 12, 2019 8:11 PM
Jul 12, 2019 8:17 PM
Mar 2019
Masutado said:

I'll give ep 1 props, it certainly wasn't as bad as the second episode and the sakuga was very clean, but the issues I mentioned were still there. The 2 fights, the train and main infernal fight, were awkward and not nearly as clean looking as they could've been if the shots flowed a bit better. The first episode was also littered with pauses in dialogue, and I'd have to disagree that the music does not piece together with the action at all, it was just kind of there.

Ep 2 animation wise was still decent, but character models lacked detail in a lot of the shots and things just generally felt flatter. I don't know quite how to put it, but the first episode was just more interesting to look at I guess.

I can agree with the animation being flatter and stuff and I can understand why you want to drop it, but the thing is I think they were going with a different tone for this episode, it's only the second episode, no anime has developed their characters at all and I'd say the only anime this season that trumps Fire Force's characters is Dr.Stone and that's only with Senku, Taiju is kinda obnoxious but not in a likeable way like Asta from Black Clover.

Edit: Also with the fight scenes being choppy its to reflect Shinra's mind state at the time which was panicked and distressed. Just wait for the fight scenes in the next episode (which I know will be there) and see if you like it then.
Jul 12, 2019 8:24 PM
Aug 2016
Phantom24 said:
Luv2Dgirls said:

Hm maybe some personal bias from me since I have been with the manga since the beginning, but I feel a lot more sympathy for Shinra's character compared to Naruto or Deku. In the Naruto case, Shinra's situation is basically the exact same, no parent's made fun of by everyone else because of their goofy nature, looking for attention, all the adults look down on them because in Shinra's case he's smile after he "killed his parents" and Naruto with the nine-tails. But the main thing that makes Shinra's situation a whole lot worse is that he was wholehearted blamed for the death of his mother and he witnessed them die giving him a sense of guilt that Naruto didn't have. Also the PTSD from his mother's death is something that no child needs to bear. With Deku, the only sympathy he get's is that he didn't get a quirk to realise his dreams, everyone looks down on him, simarly to Shinra but he still has a loving mother and friends and hes generally more optimistic which shows how much better he has it. I guess its personal opinion but PTSD with children is way worse than anything any of the major protags in shounen deal with. I'm guessing you skipped over some parts cause all of this was explored especially in the big infernal fight scene.

Masutado said:

???? I don't really understand how you can say that Vinland Saga's music and especially Dr.Stone's music was any better than Fire Force. Vinland Saga was maybe on par with but Dr.Stone's OST was kinda a joke to me. It never really adds anything to the scenes and is just there. Fire Forces fight scenes blend music, SFX and clean animation perfectly, go back and watch the fight scene, the orchestral music is epic, fits thematically and just gives everything more depth. IMO way better than Dr.Stone. Vinland was good but I can't say it fits perfectly, sets the scene and tone for scenes but for Vinland the pulling factor is the narrative and characters whilst Fire Force is mainly characters, the fight scene and mystery. IMO Dr.Stone is kinda overated maybe a max of 7-8 rating from me, its kinda just there and doesn't actively work to make me want to watch the next episode unlike DanMachi, Vinland and Fire Force.

Edit: I'll give an example with Dr.Stone's OST, the scene where Senku is talking about the lions has this weirdly epic music playing in the background, that doesn't fit the situation or what Senku is explaining. Another one is where Senku is asking what the most important thing for a civilisation is, the music made me question what they wanted from us like, what? why is this music even here??

I felt that they should have put Shinra’s backstory first like they did with Vinland, such as how he dealt with the PTSD instead of moving on to a couple years later to when he joins the Fire Force crew then reveal his PTSD. Instead of cuts here and there, the episode probably would have flowed better if they revealed the tragedy in the beginning.
Edit: If i recall from the manga, I don’t think Shinra ever has the PTSD ever again after the first fight, so they could have taken advantage of that before it went away.

I did like some of the music Fire Force showed, but what I’m thinking is that they did not show much variety like Naruto, My Hero, or Vinland. I believe they played the same ost like 3 times, and played no music at all in some scenes (i personally didn’t like it, others may like it). Episode 2 did reveal more of the ost, which I liked.

Seems like dr. Stone is the most popular right now, so i need to check it out before making opinions on it
Luv2DgirlsJul 12, 2019 8:32 PM
Jul 12, 2019 8:31 PM
Dec 2014
This show is something that's been done countless times. Cliches upon cliches with a story that isn't interesting in the slightest.

I watched the first episode because it's rated 8+

But MAL let me down once again... Feel like a bunch of 14 year olds enjoy this type of garbage. Nothing of substance, and it burned out in 1 episode.

They hit the demographic well, but nobody could tell me what is interesting about this show in the slightest. A love interest early on, the guy who's defensive, and the carefree guy. Mix that with the MC who's personality revolves around a loss he caused or what shaped him as a person. Let's add in 20 flashbacks to stress this point as countless other bad shows do. If you eat this up, nothing will change.

Now these things all can work, Dr. Stone is a testament to that. It's a carbon copy of cliches, but they were done properly. Each person was given a proper introduction for their "cliche". They also left them open-ended, so they have an opportunity to be diverse. But in this show, the opposite. No introduction, and it's thrown at you with the force of a thousand suns within the first scene.

The only reason this isn't a 1 is due to a nice budget and somewhat decent animation. 3/10
BlindSniperJul 12, 2019 8:38 PM
Jul 12, 2019 8:33 PM
Mar 2019
Luv2Dgirls said:

I felt that they should have put Shinra’s backstory first like they did with Vinland, such as how he dealt with the PTSD instead of moving on to a couple years later to when he joins the Fire Force crew then reveal his PTSD. Instead of cuts here and there, the episode probably would have flowed better if they revealed the tragedy in the beginning.

I did like some of the music Fire Force showed, but what I’m thinking is that they did not show much variety like Naruto, My Hero, or Vinland. I believe they played the same ost like 3 times, and played no music at all in some scenes (i personally didn’t like it, others may like it). Episode 2 did reveal more of the ost, which I liked.

Seems like dr. Stone is the most popular right now, so i need to check it out before making opinions on it

Hm actually if we are looking purely anime then maybe they could've explored Shinra's past but they're trying to cloak it in mystery unlike Naruto, My Hero or Vinland. The main narrative of the story is based on the mystery of the fire and how it relates to the world as a whole. IMO I like going straight into the action for Shounen rather than a long introduction arc like with Hunter x Hunter, Naruto and Vinland (Whose is 4-5 eps basing it off the manga continuity). Going straight into the action and slowly revealing the past gets me much more invested into the narrative rather than the characters and backstory individually. If an anime is too slow to get to action or proper narrative then I just wanna drop it (Hunter x Hunter I'm looking at you and your 2 episodes or running) thats why I like Kimetsu no Yaiba and Fire Force as their main revelations are 1 episode and don't reveal to much.
Jul 12, 2019 8:36 PM
Aug 2016
Phantom24 said:
Luv2Dgirls said:

Hm actually if we are looking purely anime then maybe they could've explored Shinra's past but they're trying to cloak it in mystery unlike Naruto, My Hero or Vinland. The main narrative of the story is based on the mystery of the fire and how it relates to the world as a whole. IMO I like going straight into the action for Shounen rather than a long introduction arc like with Hunter x Hunter, Naruto and Vinland (Whose is 4-5 eps basing it off the manga continuity). Going straight into the action and slowly revealing the past gets me much more invested into the narrative rather than the characters and backstory individually. If an anime is too slow to get to action or proper narrative then I just wanna drop it (Hunter x Hunter I'm looking at you and your 2 episodes or running) thats why I like Kimetsu no Yaiba and Fire Force as their main revelations are 1 episode and don't reveal to much.

Makes sense, I did like how Cowboy Bebop reveals Spike’s past later on, rather than in the beginning.
Jul 12, 2019 8:53 PM

Jun 2016
BlindSniper said:
Feel like a bunch of 14 year olds enjoy this type of garbage.

Well, your feeling is correct. MAL is largely populated by teenagers. Hence why you shouldn't really trust its taste.
Jul 12, 2019 9:10 PM

Aug 2017
BlindSniper said:
This show is something that's been done countless times. Cliches upon cliches with a story that isn't interesting in the slightest.

But MAL let me down once again... Feel like a bunch of 14 year olds enjoy this type of garbage. Nothing of substance, and it burned out in 1 episode.

They hit the demographic well, but nobody could tell me what is interesting about this show in the slightest. A love interest early on, the guy who's defensive, and the carefree guy. Mix that with the MC who's personality revolves around a loss he caused or what shaped him as a person. Let's add in 20 flashbacks to stress this point as countless other bad shows do. If you eat this up, nothing will change.

Now these things all can work, Dr. Stone is a testament to that. It's a carbon copy of cliches, but they were done properly. Each person was given a proper introduction for their "cliche". They also left them open-ended, so they have an opportunity to be diverse. But in this show, the opposite. No introduction, and it's thrown at you with the force of a thousand suns within the first scene.

The only reason this isn't a 1 is due to a nice budget and somewhat decent animation. 3/10

You say all this after just two episodes. Only 2 episodes, right at the start of a show which is regularly regarded as the worst part because its at that point the story & characters are all trying to find their right flow.

You immediately say it has no substance just cause it starts with some cliches & then proceed to say you how disappointed you are in MAL score.

Man are people quick to jump to all kinds of assumptions & then acting like its fact.

Boy do these types of threads inspire nothing positive. Wait I don't think these types of threads are even allowed.
SlimcoderJul 12, 2019 9:14 PM
I used to be a watchmaker.
Jul 12, 2019 9:48 PM
Apr 2017
Slimcoder said:
BlindSniper said:

You say all this after just two episodes. Only 2 episodes, right at the start of a show which is regularly regarded as the worst part because its at that point the story & characters are all trying to find their right flow.

You immediately say it has no substance just cause it starts with some cliches & then proceed to say you how disappointed you are in MAL score.

Man are people quick to jump to all kinds of assumptions & then acting like its fact.

Boy do these types of threads inspire nothing positive. Wait I don't think these types of threads are even allowed.

It'd be stupid as hell if threads simply voicing an opinion weren't allowed. Anyway, shows very rarely make comebacks from poor starts. I'd say 9 times out of 10, if a show has something bad about it that persists the first 2 or 3 episodes, that problem will probably last the entire show unless it's a several 100 episode show or it's being split up into several seasons. This show is running for 48 episodes straight, at least for its first season, and I seriously doubt any creative or directing decisions are going to change until the show is over.

I forget who made the video, but I remember seeing a big anituber make a video saying that the 3 episode rule doesn't exist and if a show has a shit first episode, the show is almost guaranteed to be shit through and through. So far, that philosophy has done me wonders in avoiding wasting my time watching bad shows.
Jul 12, 2019 10:04 PM

Aug 2017
Masutado said:
Slimcoder said:

It'd be stupid as hell if threads simply voicing an opinion weren't allowed. Anyway, shows very rarely make comebacks from poor starts. I'd say 9 times out of 10, if a show has something bad about it that persists the first 2 or 3 episodes, that problem will probably last the entire show unless it's a several 100 episode show or it's being split up into several seasons. This show is running for 48 episodes straight, at least for its first season, and I seriously doubt any creative or directing decisions are going to change until the show is over.

I forget who made the video, but I remember seeing a big anituber make a video saying that the 3 episode rule doesn't exist and if a show has a shit first episode, the show is almost guaranteed to be shit through and through. So far, that philosophy has done me wonders in avoiding wasting my time watching bad shows.

Actually you could already voice your opinions........ in the actual episode threads. This is just complaining. Its funny really when someone makes a whole thread just to announce they are dropping a show.

Even then I don't find this show particularity terrible or a poor start to begin with which is why this whole thing is superfluous.
I used to be a watchmaker.
Jul 12, 2019 10:07 PM
Nov 2017
Luv2Dgirls said:
Phantom24 said:

Edit: If i recall from the manga, I don’t think Shinra ever has the PTSD ever again after the first fight, so they could have taken advantage of that before it went away.

dr stone isn’t more popular , it’s just crunchyroll constantly advertising it because the manga sales suck and constantly sell less than series who just started yet are having more success than it
Jul 12, 2019 10:17 PM

Oct 2014
I see nothing in the direction that makes this show so terrible that you'd consider it unwatchable. Sure, nothing about it is new, creative or exceptional in any way, but it's not that bad. It's pretty standard shounen fare. It's rather obvious that this show is no more than average to slightly above or below without even watching it. I mean, what were you expecting? Hunter x Hunter or JoJo level?

If you want a dumpster fire that is an absolute failure in every conceivable way and is truly unwatchable, then watch Arifureta.
Jul 12, 2019 10:20 PM
Apr 2017
Pyro said:
I see nothing in the direction that makes this show so terrible that you'd consider it unwatchable. Sure, nothing about it is new, creative or exceptional in any way, but it's not that bad. It's pretty standard shounen fare. It's rather obvious that this show is no more than average to slightly above or below without even watching it. I mean, what were you expecting? Hunter x Hunter or JoJo level?

If you want a dumpster fire that is a complete failure in every conceivable way and is truly unwatchable, then watch Arifureta.

The problem is I found Arifureta to be an absolute blast. It's truly the pinnacle of so bad it's good.
Jul 12, 2019 10:22 PM
Apr 2017
MonkeyDJasper said:
Luv2Dgirls said:

dr stone isn’t more popular , it’s just crunchyroll constantly advertising it because the manga sales suck and constantly sell less than series who just started yet are having more success than it

Dr. Stone is easily one of the biggest mangas in Shounen Jumps line up, up there with The Promised Neverland. Obviously it isn't as big as MHA and One Piece, nothing can touch them rn. but it's huge.
Jul 12, 2019 10:35 PM
Nov 2017
Masutado said:
MonkeyDJasper said:

Dr. Stone is easily one of the biggest mangas in Shounen Jumps line up, up there with The Promised Neverland. Obviously it isn't as big as MHA and One Piece, nothing can touch them rn. but it's huge.
I’m sorry no it’s not ... it’s nowhere near the promised neverland. That series sells millions every volume it puts out while dr stone barley cracks 50k , jujutsu kaisen and act age ( 2 new series ) sell more than dr stone . Dr stone is not one of the biggest mangas in shounen jump idk who told you that .
Jul 12, 2019 10:58 PM

Oct 2014
Masutado said:
Pyro said:

If you want a dumpster fire that is a complete failure in every conceivable way and is truly unwatchable, then watch Arifureta.

The problem is I found Arifureta to be an absolute blast. It's truly the pinnacle of so bad it's good.

Oh lol. Well, carry on.
Jul 12, 2019 11:17 PM

Nov 2013
OP enjoyed Arifureta but thinks this is unwatchable, lol. Truly a unique taste
Jul 12, 2019 11:34 PM

Dec 2016
What's wrong with the pacing, exactly?
Jul 12, 2019 11:46 PM
Apr 2017
MonkeyDJasper said:
Masutado said:

I’m sorry no it’s not ... it’s nowhere near the promised neverland. That series sells millions every volume it puts out while dr stone barley cracks 50k , jujutsu kaisen and act age ( 2 new series ) sell more than dr stone . Dr stone is not one of the biggest mangas in shounen jump idk who told you that .

Really? Well my bad then. I know it's at least made a name for itself though, and I've read the manga myself, so I can confirmed that it's good and gets a lot better after a certain point.
Jul 12, 2019 11:49 PM
Apr 2017
Blarey said:

Trust me, I didn't enjoy it because it was good in any way, but because it was mindboggling how they managed to make a show so ridiculously bad. I don't enjoy Fire Force because I can see how it could be unironically good, but the potential is being squandered big time.
Jul 13, 2019 12:02 AM

Jan 2009
Masutado said:
Blarey said:

Trust me, I didn't enjoy it because it was good in any way, but because it was mindboggling how they managed to make a show so ridiculously bad. I don't enjoy Fire Force because I can see how it could be unironically good, but the potential is being squandered big time.

what exactly is this potential of Fire Force that you have in mind? when the manga itself is just average according to a lot of people

you did not even bother with the links i gave that explained very well why the anime improved the story telling that is just average in the manga
Jul 13, 2019 12:07 AM

May 2015
The animation is better than any other anime this season (including Wit's Vinland Saga). It's true that some jokes might get lost to some people, but they are all not bad. The story feels just as fresh as good ol' Soul Eater.

Hopefully this dethrones HeroAca as the new shonen. HeroAca story and direction is garbage compared to this.
Jul 13, 2019 12:10 AM
Sep 2016
I guess it's not the best directing, but I just watched EVA for the first time, and that show has TERRIBLE directing at times, yet a huge following, so I can put up with a few flaws
Jul 13, 2019 12:12 AM

Nov 2013
Masutado said:
Blarey said:

I can understand disliking it for being generic or uninteresting, but it seems pretty harsh to call it unwatchable based on the direction and pacing after only two episodes.

Jan 2009
AquaShldEXE said:
I guess it's not the best directing, but I just watched EVA for the first time, and that show has TERRIBLE directing at times, yet a huge following, so I can put up with a few flaws

ok people are just throwing around bad directing endlessly at this point even on award winning shows like Eva that gives at least best director/direction to Anno if i remember right
Apr 2017
deg said:
Masutado said:

what exactly is this potential of Fire Force that you have in mind? when the manga itself is just average according to a lot of people

Well, I personally don't mind a solid shounen show here and there. I really liked Kimetsu no Yaiba because it was just a really fine-tuned, well put together show, so when I say I see potential I just mean that I can see how it could be a solid, albeit cliche, show to kill some time watching, just like Kimetsu no Yaiba.
Jul 13, 2019 12:16 AM

Jan 2009
Masutado said:
deg said:

Well, I personally don't mind a solid shounen show here and there. I really liked Kimetsu no Yaiba because it was just a really fine-tuned, well put together show, so when I say I see potential I just mean that I can see how it could be a solid, albeit cliche, show to kill some time watching, just like Kimetsu no Yaiba.

Kimetsu no Yaiba is like selling 100K to 200K even when the anime did not air yet afaik so by that alone you can say the manga got a better story and story telling than Fire Force that i do not see rank on manga ranking sales
Jul 13, 2019 12:17 AM
Apr 2017
anikevin said:
The animation is better than any other anime this season (including Wit's Vinland Saga). It's true that some jokes might get lost to some people, but they are all not bad. The story feels just as fresh as good ol' Soul Eater.

Hopefully this dethrones HeroAca as the new shonen. HeroAca story and direction is garbage compared to this.

Yea that's asking for a bit much XD

Doesn't really matter how good the production quality is if the pacing/shot composition is terrible. Vinland Saga may not have the raw quality that Fire Force has, but it's really well paced so far and the scenes flow well, so I'd say it's much more enjoyable.
MasutadoJul 13, 2019 12:37 AM
Jul 13, 2019 12:25 AM
Apr 2017
deg said:
Masutado said:

Kimetsu no Yaiba is like selling 100K to 200K even when the anime did not air yet afaik so by that alone you can say the manga got a better story and story telling than Fire Force that i do not see rank on manga ranking sales

That's true, but I don't really think manga sales indicate the quality of the story.
MHA's story is quite bad, in my opinion, and it's needless to say how well that sells. The production quality of Fire Force was really what had me sold at first, I mean who doesn't like some great sakuga, and I was hoping the story and characters would be at least serviceable, but I was let down for the most part.
Jul 13, 2019 12:28 AM

Jan 2009
Masutado said:
deg said:

That's true, but I don't really think manga sales indicate the quality of the story.
MHA's story is quite bad, in my opinion, and it's needless to say how well that sells. The production quality of Fire Force was really what had me sold at first, I mean who doesn't like some great sakuga, and I was hoping the story and characters would be at least serviceable, but I was let down for the most part.

if you say so then maybe try reading the few manga chapters that are adapted by the anime so far and see for yourself if the manga did the story telling better than the anime did then

im sure you are referring to story telling when you say directing anyway so do note and im sure the story of the manga stays thesame (even with few cut panels from what i heard that is too common on anime adaptations anyway)
Jul 13, 2019 12:37 AM
Apr 2017
deg said:
Masutado said:

if you say so then maybe try reading the few manga chapters that are adapted by the anime so far and see for yourself if the manga did the story telling better than the anime did then

im sure you are referring to story telling when you say directing anyway so do note and im sure the story of the manga stays thesame (even with few cut panels from what i heard that is too common on anime adaptations anyway)

I'm not talking about the story at all really when I say directing. What I mean by directing is the stuff like camera angles and shot composition which directly affects the tone and pacing of the different scenes. Directing can mean to a lot of things, but the creative decisions are mainly what I'm referring to.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Dec 27, 2019

199 by beamtoes »»
Apr 10, 6:16 PM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 5, 2019

386 by Crispydang »»
Mar 30, 1:32 AM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 25, 2019

118 by capybara_helo »»
Mar 10, 1:00 PM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Oct 18, 2019

108 by capybara_helo »»
Mar 10, 11:49 AM

Poll: » Enen no Shouboutai Episode 18 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Nov 22, 2019

71 by BrianaBird »»
Feb 22, 9:21 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.