Forum Settings
Forums

Anime that you really love but is despised by the majority of the fandom?

New
Jul 11, 2019 4:59 PM
Jun 2011
What are some Anime series that you love to the maximum, but a majority of them hate it and think it's a terrible series?
Jul 11, 2019 5:23 PM
Jul 2018
School Days, Gurazeni, and Juuni Taisen are the main three. I really like them because they try something different in genres I'm not all that fond of. And I find their execution to be very solid at least. Especially School Days. The other two are pretty flawed despite me really liking them.

They're all pretty hated. All well below 7 (the rating most people here use to call something OK or decent).
removed-userJul 11, 2019 5:36 PM
Jul 11, 2019 5:34 PM
May 2019
“School Days,” for sure! I found it to be very entertaining.
Jul 11, 2019 5:39 PM

Jul 2017
Well you can expect lots of School Days answers incoming

For me, I'd say Kenja no Mago. It was generic, yes but for once an isekai with an actually good romance

Also Ookami Shoujo to Kuro Ouji. Gets a lot of hate which I won't say I don't understand why, but it was pretty enjoyable for me
Jul 11, 2019 5:43 PM

Aug 2009
School Days, and the Rebuild of Evangelion movies. Because of course NGE fans have some issues with the Rebuild movies.

*sigh*

Jul 11, 2019 6:03 PM
Jul 2019
Sword art Online. sure, the plot was messy but I really love it, but I only get eye-rolls when I mention it.
Jul 11, 2019 6:48 PM

May 2009
I'm not sure how to count what "the majority of the fandom" thinks, but...I'll just treat this as a "biggest deviation between your opinion of a show and the MAL userscore" type of thread.

The best example from amongst my faves is probably Beatless, which seems to have "scared away" a number of people who were probably expecting something that it is not.

Others include Luger Code 1951 (a one-episode OVA which I think is quite nice but apparently this isn't a typical opinion), Stratos 4 (possibly because it takes an extra season to actually complete the story), Atelier Escha & Logy (probably because...it's a compressed retelling of a video game's plot?), Umi Monogatari (probably because...it's a patient watch? I dunno), and Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm (because...I'm not sure why, actually).

Alice_Renee said:
Sword art Online. sure, the plot was messy but I really love it, but I only get eye-rolls when I mention it.
Be proud of being a Sword Art Online fan!

(Just don't do silly things as part of that pride, but that applies everywhere anyway.)
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 11, 2019 6:54 PM
Apr 2018
My all time fav anime Darling in the Franxx seems to not be that well liked. The most popular reviews on it here are pretty negative:/
Jul 11, 2019 6:59 PM

May 2018
Gamers! - but then again I've only watched the dubbed version. The script is witty and genuinely LOL funny, and the VA's are at the top of their game :D

Maybe SOMETIMES at least, dubbed really is better than subbed!

SuperGreenTeaJul 11, 2019 7:04 PM
Jul 11, 2019 7:02 PM

Sep 2014
Gungam G-reco. An actually good show, yet rated 5 something here on mal, one of the lowest rated tv-series. It's really fun and it looks amazing, it has some of the best character designs around. It's disliked to the point that some people take it as a fact or something and refuse to watch it.

Other than that, not sure. There are some that I think are OK or enjoyed them, despite majorly negative opinions (Phantom World, Manyuu Hikenchou, Tenjou Tenge) but it's not love for sure.

Some old OVAs which I really liked have scores in low 6s but I don't believe they're hated, it's more like people actually watching these most of the time have a rating system that is more useful than a '7 to 10' one.

Tmiller7 said:
My all time fav anime Darling in the Franxx seems to not be that well liked. The most popular reviews on it here are pretty negative:/

reviews are a joke on this site tbh. the system doesn't promote good/agreed reviews at all, only those made by the known people/upvote beggars or in the case of more recent stuff, those who were first to publish theirs.
ImaishiJul 11, 2019 7:07 PM
Jul 11, 2019 7:30 PM

Jun 2014
I wouldn't say that I "loved" it, but I enjoyed "RErideD: Tokigoe no Derrida."

I'll never understand why it has such incredibly low scores. It's not a 10/10 or anything, but it's quite enjoyable, and it has a decent ending.

Jul 11, 2019 7:30 PM
Jul 2018
Akame ga Kill - The appeal of the show is seeing characters die left and right, but people that don't understand that just pass it off as a bad show.

Gamers! - I know why people hate it, but I genuinely found it funny and interesting.

Sword Art Online - Yes, a lot of things in this is bad, but the Aincrad Arc, as well as the Mother's Rosario Arc are among the best in the Isekai genre imo.
Jul 11, 2019 7:38 PM

Apr 2019
I wouldnt say that anybody hates it, but It seems like nobody gaves a fuck. about Last Exile, and its one of my favorites.

A lot of people hates Serial Experiment Lain and I guess Monogatari Series too.
Jul 11, 2019 9:01 PM
Jan 2016
Ousama game

Best. comedy. anime. Period.
Jul 11, 2019 9:05 PM

Feb 2019
How can someone be a part of a fandom if they hate the show?
Jul 11, 2019 9:07 PM

Sep 2012
kakumei valvrave lol, guilty pleasure
Jul 11, 2019 9:13 PM

Jan 2009
a lot of mecha and 3DCG anime thats about it
Jul 11, 2019 9:20 PM
Jul 2018
NexivSelecaf said:
School Days, and the Rebuild of Evangelion movies. Because of course NGE fans have some issues with the Rebuild movies.

*sigh*

Especially considering her ADV dub was criticized for years. She's not even really defending the Netflix dub, she's mad at fan re-evaluation. She's like, "Yeah, this is what you deserve."
Jul 11, 2019 9:33 PM

Jan 2019
Geshtinanna said:
Gamers! - but then again I've only watched the dubbed version. The script is witty and genuinely LOL funny, and the VA's are at the top of their game :D

As someone who watched the sub version, I can say it is a great show. it is a Shakespearean level comedy of errors. Although i do feel the show dips a bit after
Jul 11, 2019 9:39 PM

Oct 2016
I guess the closest would be Black Butler II since the fandom gladly ridiculed me for saying it "wasn't that bad" and liking Alois.
While I do dislike its ending and think it was unnecessary, the season and its new characters (except Claude) weren't as bad as people claimed they were. It just felt unfinished. Overall, I liked it.
Jul 11, 2019 9:52 PM

Feb 2017
aku no hana. people always shit on it because of the rotoscope animation but the animation is beautiful.

also juuni taisen is a ton of fun and underrated. it has cgi animation in some places but imo it actually looks pretty good.
Jul 11, 2019 10:21 PM
Oct 2018
I enjoyed Gamers! - it was hilarious for me. I understand how some could find it frustrating though.

I also enjoyed Citrus - I understand why it has such a low score, but I think there's definitely enough quality there to deserve something higher. Not the best plot/writing, but certainly not the worst. Think it just crosses a few lines people don't like (myself included) and that causes them to rate it very poorly.

Jul 11, 2019 10:27 PM

May 2018
FlagCrusherTaka said:
Geshtinanna said:

As someone who watched the sub version, I can say it is a great show. it is a Shakespearean level comedy of errors. Although i do feel the show dips a bit after

Good one Leon, I see you gave it 9/10 - my dubbed rating matches your subbed rating, so a great show however you look at it then!
Jul 11, 2019 10:29 PM

Mar 2019
I guess I'll make a predictable answer and say School Days. It really was a powerful show, but lots of people just can't get past that "this made me upset" feeling.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 11, 2019 10:33 PM

May 2018
@Gythia and @david909 - I'm so pleased to see that some other users really enjoyed Gamers! too, unfortunately some of my MAL friends think otherwise, plus why is the rating so goddamn low, it should be a least 8.00 IMO.

One of the funniest moments (amongst many) was that Game of Life style board game they played together LOL. The 5 main characters were all brilliant in their own special way :D
SuperGreenTeaJul 11, 2019 10:39 PM
Jul 11, 2019 11:23 PM

Jul 2016
Easily Maerchen Marchen. I somehow manage to connect with it in a way no other anime has done for me and I think people are way to harsh on the show (like, hot dang look at that 5.44 score that School Days can't hope to reach). I cry myself to sleep over the unaired last 2 episodes and the abomination that is episode 9.

GlennMagusHarvey said:

Others include Luger Code 1951 (a one-episode OVA which I think is quite nice but apparently this isn't a typical opinion), Stratos 4 (possibly because it takes an extra season to actually complete the story), Atelier Escha & Logy (probably because...it's a compressed retelling of a video game's plot?), Umi Monogatari (probably because...it's a patient watch? I dunno), and Ao no Kanata no Four Rhythm (because...I'm not sure why, actually).

As a fellow Atelier Escha and Logy fan I didn't know it was even well-known enough to be bashed.
Jul 11, 2019 11:34 PM

Oct 2013
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. Call it an Attack on Titan ripoff if you want, but I thought most of this anime was pretty damn good.
Jul 12, 2019 2:13 AM

Jul 2013
Obligatory mention to Mayoiga, Ousama Game and Mahou Shoujo Site, AKA Best Comedies of their respective years (2016, 2017 and 2018). Cannot wait for their new sibling to air in 2019 (I heard Arifureta is a solid candidate, but I haven't watched it yet).

Others include:

-Deen's Fate/stay night (including the UBW movie): Even if nowadays it looks dated (especially compared with ufotable's version), the CGI was horrible and it made questionable changes to the source material, I still remember the anime fondly, as it was how I met the franchise. The same for the UBW movie, even if it had a rushed pacing and has been completely surpassed by the 2014 anime in almost everything, I remember it was my most favourite thing for a while. I also think the OST from Deen's anime is better and more memorable than the one of ufotable's UBW.

-Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou: It offered a nice tarot-themed motif that is rarely seen in animes (at least not as detailed), the designs of the magical girls were badass, the main antagonist was cool and the battles were nice. Definitely my favorite one of the "edgy magical girls" shows that became a trending after Madoka Magica's success. It is a pity the series didn't went anywhere after the single season it got, in my opinion, it had potential to became something more.

-Juuni Taisen: I can understand why people don't like the series, especially due how anticlimactic it can be, considering the main plot of the series treats about a battle royale (and the fact that the ending spoils the winner), but I honestly enjoyed the show through its run, especially due the backstories of the participants and how their deaths were caused by their own mistakes, as well as the Eastern Zodiac motif they had, with all those ridiculous costumes (that vaguely reminded me of the Maniwani ninjas from Katanagatari). I also found the ending to be great, and fitting considering who won. Still expecting a future new anime adapting the Eastern Zodiac vs Western Zodiac book (mostly because apaprently the anime was confirmed to have 24 episodes, instead of the 12 we got at the end).

-Kämpfer: A trashy ecchi/harem show, but incredibly enjoyable. The quintessential dumb fun. The last episode from the series (not the true ending, that were those specials) is also one of the most WTF things I have ever seen in an anime.

-Rosario + Vampire (anime): Same as Kämpfer, a dumb, but fun ecchi/harem show. Even if it didn't make justice to the manga at all, I would lie if I say that I didn't enjoy the series a lot. It also had Nana Mizuki in it (in one of her best roles), performing too BOTH the opening and ending themes of both seasons, and you can't never get wrong with her, so...

-Valvrave the Liberator: A trainwreck mecha show in the style of Code Geass, it was a pleasure to watch from beginning to end. The plot-twists, revelations and the stupidity of the characters were truly a treat to watch. It is one of the animes I really regret to not have watching during the time they were airing, and I also regret missing the juicy discussions threads of MAL when the series was at the peak of its popularity. I was also tempting to add its little sister Cross Ange, but that one I think it was better received than Valrave.

jigokunoarisu said:
Jul 12, 2019 2:32 AM

Jan 2018
I'll try not to think of which are stuffs that people hate that I love to watch because I don't think there's one because they are not in majority side to begin with. Grancrest senki on the other hand is an anime that I try to like but I lost my interest to watch it (less than 10 episode seen, no spoiler for anyone) because I felt forced to feel or watch it. To compare it to berserk, despite how dark it is I was able to enjoy it because it doesn't lose sight of what it's trying to present to me.

Oh now that I remember something, I think it's the mobile suit gundam seed & destiny series.
Jul 12, 2019 2:37 AM

Jan 2016
Aku no Hana, that show was a masterpiece and I reckon it was robbed

"The law doesn't protect people, people protect the law."

- Akane Tsunemori

Jul 12, 2019 2:45 AM

May 2009
raisin-kun said:
As a fellow Atelier Escha and Logy fan I didn't know it was even well-known enough to be bashed.
I may have interpreted the thread premise wrong, as I wasn't considering the hatedom size of stuff (which would I guess do a lot to restrict what can count). You probably have a more relevant interpretation, actually.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 12, 2019 2:49 AM
May 2019
I definitely love the Gantz series. I saw many comments regarding it that the anime adaptation was not that good. They claim that the manga was better, but I'm not really into manga stuffs. For my personal opinion, Gantz was a good series for me. One of my favorite things about Gantz was the gore and mature-related stuffs. Gantz will always be one of my favorite and definitely has a special place in my heart. It's a shame since there's no continuation for the anime.
Jul 12, 2019 2:55 AM

Oct 2015
Love Live! Sunshine!! I guess? If you were to ask someone as to what is more superior, majority would say the original but I'd say Sunshine beats it any day from every category
Jul 12, 2019 6:33 AM
Jul 2018
Panty and Stocking
Very polarizing fanbase despite the high score.
Strictly for new Gainax and Trigger fans. Everyone else fortunately avoided it due to the art style and it got good ratings

PugoPH said:
I definitely love the Gantz series. I saw many comments regarding it that the anime adaptation was not that good. They claim that the manga was better, but I'm not really into manga stuffs. For my personal opinion, Gantz was a good series for me. One of my favorite things about Gantz was the gore and mature-related stuffs. Gantz will always be one of my favorite and definitely has a special place in my heart. It's a shame since there's no continuation for the anime.

Gantz manga was crap too but at least it mixed everything together (vampires, aliens, insects, esp, monsters, folklore, scifi, Mecha etc) with gratuitous action, sex and violence
Anime did not have many episodes to stand out.
Jul 12, 2019 6:36 AM
Sep 2018
probably Dragon Ball GT I mean it's not as good as original and Z but it's still somewhat charming and the ending is heartbreaking so I don't hate it as much as the DB fanbase does
Jul 12, 2019 6:13 PM

Dec 2018
i think hitori no shita is underrated and underappreciated, though the fist season did have its flaws and was not that good
Jul 13, 2019 10:44 AM

Dec 2017
Studio Deen's Fate/stay night adaptation is pretty generally hated but I think it's a pretty strong entry point to the series and an enjoyable watch.
Jul 13, 2019 10:46 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
Illyricus said:
Obligatory mention to Mayoiga, Ousama Game and Mahou Shoujo Site, AKA Best Comedies of their respective years (2016, 2017 and 2018). Cannot wait for their new sibling to air in 2019 (I heard Arifureta is a solid candidate, but I haven't watched it yet).

Others include:

-Deen's Fate/stay night (including the UBW movie): Even if nowadays it looks dated (especially compared with ufotable's version), the CGI was horrible and it made questionable changes to the source material, I still remember the anime fondly, as it was how I met the franchise. The same for the UBW movie, even if it had a rushed pacing and has been completely surpassed by the 2014 anime in almost everything, I remember it was my most favourite thing for a while. I also think the OST from Deen's anime is better and more memorable than the one of ufotable's UBW.

-Genei wo Kakeru Taiyou: It offered a nice tarot-themed motif that is rarely seen in animes (at least not as detailed), the designs of the magical girls were badass, the main antagonist was cool and the battles were nice. Definitely my favorite one of the "edgy magical girls" shows that became a trending after Madoka Magica's success. It is a pity the series didn't went anywhere after the single season it got, in my opinion, it had potential to became something more.

-Juuni Taisen: I can understand why people don't like the series, especially due how anticlimactic it can be, considering the main plot of the series treats about a battle royale (and the fact that the ending spoils the winner), but I honestly enjoyed the show through its run, especially due the backstories of the participants and how their deaths were caused by their own mistakes, as well as the Eastern Zodiac motif they had, with all those ridiculous costumes (that vaguely reminded me of the Maniwani ninjas from Katanagatari). I also found the ending to be great, and fitting considering who won. Still expecting a future new anime adapting the Eastern Zodiac vs Western Zodiac book (mostly because apaprently the anime was confirmed to have 24 episodes, instead of the 12 we got at the end).

-Kämpfer: A trashy ecchi/harem show, but incredibly enjoyable. The quintessential dumb fun. The last episode from the series (not the true ending, that were those specials) is also one of the most WTF things I have ever seen in an anime.

-Rosario + Vampire (anime): Same as Kämpfer, a dumb, but fun ecchi/harem show. Even if it didn't make justice to the manga at all, I would lie if I say that I didn't enjoy the series a lot. It also had Nana Mizuki in it (in one of her best roles), performing too BOTH the opening and ending themes of both seasons, and you can't never get wrong with her, so...

-Valvrave the Liberator: A trainwreck mecha show in the style of Code Geass, it was a pleasure to watch from beginning to end. The plot-twists, revelations and the stupidity of the characters were truly a treat to watch. It is one of the animes I really regret to not have watching during the time they were airing, and I also regret missing the juicy discussions threads of MAL when the series was at the peak of its popularity. I was also tempting to add its little sister Cross Ange, but that one I think it was better received than Valrave.

jigokunoarisu said:

Same here. L-elf deserves more love and appreciation.
Jul 18, 2019 9:52 AM
Dec 2017
Well, I don't exactly "love" these anime but I do like them.

King's Game: This is probably the anime with the most hate on my list. While it clearly does have flaws, I don't think they made the show horrible. But I will admit that some scenes (which were supposed to serious) were funny instead. That was just some bad execution. I couldn't help but laugh at some scenes...

Diabolik Lovers: When it comes to this anime, I mainly see hate, especially on MAL. But on Youtube I actually found people who like the anime. It surprised the heck out of me. Lol. Anyway, there were some aspects of the show that I really enjoyed. The art and soundtrack are great but I love the plot points it had. Plus...cute vampire boys... (Well, that last part applies to most of them. I'm not including Kanato, Reiji, and Laito for several reasons.)

Dragon Ball GT: Most people I've come across don't like it but I have come across some people who actually enjoyed the anime. (Thank goodness.) DBZ/DBZ Kai is my favorite series but there were some moments that I really loved in DBGT. At the time, I thought Dragon Ball was over and DBGT filled the void that was left.
Sakurai_AoiJul 18, 2019 9:58 AM
Jul 18, 2019 3:32 PM

Dec 2018
wdouglasw said:
Ousama game

Best. comedy. anime. Period.

Lol this is so true. The best so-bad-it's-good-anime
Oregairu is life
Jul 18, 2019 3:50 PM

Jul 2019
hetalia and love live, generally considered shit but i love them both. although nostalgia plays a factor especially with hetalia.
Jul 18, 2019 3:52 PM

Mar 2015
Akiba's Trip and School Days.

I also love Oniichan no Koto and Oreimo, but I'm unsure of how the community actually views them.
woah there
Jul 18, 2019 3:55 PM

Aug 2016
Senjuushi and Naria Girls were both pretty enjoyable series but both have a score lower than a 5.00 on MAL.
Jul 18, 2019 4:21 PM
Nov 2018
Geshtinanna said:

I liked Gamers with subtitles, but if dubbed adds to the comedy, I think I'll have to watch that too!
Jul 18, 2019 4:26 PM
Aug 2018
School Days
Sword Art Online season 2
Yosuga no Sora
Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai
Jul 18, 2019 6:26 PM

May 2018
@Hegar - It's good to hear from you, and I really hope you enjoy it dubbed! I've had a few responses regarding users liking/love for Gamers! I must say it's really heartening to see that I'm not the only one was great taste, and capable of seeing Gamers! as the hidden gem it is :D
Jul 20, 2019 1:10 PM

Jun 2019
I would say Sword Art Online and Fairy Tail, both hugely popular shows but both seem to only set shit on by people in forums.
Jul 20, 2019 1:18 PM
Oct 2017
Elfen Lied was my favourite anime for a long time, my first 10/10 on here, a lot of people call it "edgy" but I really like the message behind it, I love everything about it really.
Jul 20, 2019 1:27 PM

May 2015
gundam g reconguista that i found to be good and honestly is my third favorite gundam after war in the pocket and turn A gundam,and brain powerd that have a really interesting concept for me,with interesting mecha human interactions, amazing soundtracks and good design,some dialogues are meh but overall is not bad at all,victory gundam is also a pretty good show it's not bad at all ,but i dropped it around 40 eps because i spoiled myself and i watched too much gundam so i lost interest.
nanashi796Jul 20, 2019 1:36 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

80 by Ryuseishun »»
11 minutes ago

» Light novel adaptation and boring ending

Ri-KoRin - 6 hours ago

10 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
13 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

66 by J4T »»
13 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

227 by zoeanime13 »»
15 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 2 hours ago

8 by Horizon248 »»
19 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.