Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 9, 2019 4:39 AM

Apr 2015
Holy sh*t... I don't understand anything from this 1st episode... Seems like they skipping a lot of stuff

The CG looks so bad. It feels like I'm watching ps1 games... lol
Tbh I really like the character designs though but the CG and bad animation ruin everything.

Hope this anime becomes one of those 'so bad yet so good' anime.
Jul 9, 2019 4:47 AM

Mar 2012
Well looking at this from a non manga/ln reader i can actually see why people are not exactly thrilled by this premiere.

IT basically throws our mc in the middle of a dungeon fighting desperatly for his life and focused so much on the gore and antics it is like your wathching a snuff film and without giving us a proper introudctionor build up from the other mc or why all of this circumstance came to be, it is confusing and messed up writing.

The biggest problem is that since the first part of the story is rushed non-material readers will be left confused and won't have a proper connection with the story or characthers. So yeah i can see why this first ep is scored so low. Source readers would call foul that it is rushed and a mess and anime onlies will be left confused and dissapointed.

Ok but with that said, i think the animators just wanted to get this section of the story as quickly as possible in order to introduce the other leads and can actually focus on the main mc's the second half's pacing actually slowed down enough that for mana/ln readers at least you can pick this up from there.

Well if the rest of anime at least slows down a bit more and give the rest of the story time to develop it might still work out, it wont be the next big isekai but it might be decent enough to watch, so i recommend others to at least give it another 2 episodes but if it remains with the same production quality and rushed pacing as the first episode. than yeah i can see this not going anywhere.

So far out of the 5 isekai Maou-same is 6.25, Arifuerta, 6.5 and Cop Craft is 7.4/

There is still isekai cheat magician but that one is also very generic so i doubt it will score high either, Do you love your mom and her twin multi combo attacks seems that it will go on a right direction, def will be the most likely best scored out of the isekai this season as it's plot and comedic elements is a little more original. but we shall see.

On a side note: I think there are a lot of people that are scoring these titles a little to low cause of the genre itself, try not to let it cloud your judgement based on the genre alone especially with just one ep aired.
Jul 9, 2019 4:49 AM

Dec 2017
Ugly CG and dim as fuck lighting aside, who the fuck thought it's a good idea to butcher important backstory and contents in the first episode? Not only they pissed off source readers, but also confuse the fuck out of anime onlys. We need those cut part to get to know the characters, setting, and also to make us relate and sympathize with them, especially for the MC. OPM s2 looks way better than this. Fuck!

Also banger song for OP/ED, but shit visuals

My disappointment is immense, and my day is ruined
Jul 9, 2019 4:49 AM

May 2009
Thread Cleaned

Please do not ask where to watch or post links to streaming websites.
If you want to know where to watch it from an official source, check under the News tab for the simulcast article. For this season: Summer 2019 Simulcast List

Be careful about spoilers and use spoiler tags when you want to discuss the source material or future episodes.
Jul 9, 2019 5:07 AM

Feb 2010
JustShy said:
-Aincrad- said:

We don't even know if they will make season 2

If they will, then they will do it by themselves

And let me tell you this:
WF didn't team up with Asread to create this anime
Asread teamed up with WF so they have a chance of creating something not terrible
This is mostly Asread's project

It's actually the other way around, WF teamed up with Asread and from I heard is that they replaced some of the original staff that were working on it.

The first episode was done by Asread, nobody from White Fox worked on it.
And the animation producer of this show is the Asread CEO. The project is handled by Asread.
White Fox will probably help on few episodes, but animation only not the script.
Jul 9, 2019 5:23 AM

Dec 2018
Look how they massacred my boy :,(
Jul 9, 2019 5:27 AM

Nov 2011
Look like another generic isekai. What an edgy protag. Fall into a cave, have mental breakdown,eat monster and suddenly OP. OK, nice development.

Jul 9, 2019 6:04 AM
Oct 2016
1st episode adapted half of the 1st ol. of Light Novel.....YOU FOCKIN SERIOUS?!?
Jul 9, 2019 6:05 AM
Sep 2014
As someone who read the first volume of the novel, I'm very DISAPPOINTED with this first episode as the first Arc is looks promising to be adapted.

I don't know why this first episode is very horrible but they already wasted such a potential material.

Score: 1/5. What a shame. They should not continue to air this thing if all of the episodes are like this.
izubariJul 9, 2019 6:13 AM
Jul 9, 2019 6:27 AM
Jul 2019
What a waste of time and effort just watching the anime. Reading the manga and the novel is better.
Jul 9, 2019 6:34 AM

Jan 2017
Likely the worst animation i will ever have the displeasure to witness in an official anime.
Jul 9, 2019 6:48 AM

Oct 2018

Honestly, this is the worst result I've seen so far

Never thought it would be like this

Let's hope the next episode will be better than this :/
Jul 9, 2019 7:15 AM

May 2017
To be honest,my standards are very low thanks to REAL worst anime i watched,so whatever flaws it's had,i can't tell is it gonna be good or bad anime until anime is completed with all episodes first. First episode started pretty intense,but it's was so freaking badass to see Hajime going insane and kicking some butts,he he heh! I'd say that first episode is 7,5/10. Is it gonna get good or bad? I'll find out in next episode.
There is no bad waifu,only bad anime.
Jul 9, 2019 8:01 AM

Jan 2013
Naofumi!!!!

ShieldBro recycle toooo soooon!
Jul 9, 2019 8:10 AM
May 2011

Guess I will leave it here.
SwietekJul 9, 2019 8:13 AM
Jul 9, 2019 8:19 AM
anime pervert

Apr 2013
Absolutely loved it!
MC is a too edgy for me but I like the art and character designs, wouldnt mind some Ecchi to spice it up but at least its apparently going to be a Harem so Im going to enjoy this

This might be the best season in a long, long time for me..
Jul 9, 2019 8:36 AM
Apr 2017
Big yikes from me boys. The pacing was unbearable and the animation felt very flat, I have no clue how people who haven't read the manga/light novel followed that at all or enjoyed it. Hopefully it gets better but I doubt that will be the case.
Jul 9, 2019 9:01 AM

Jun 2013
I have no idea what just happened
Jul 9, 2019 9:13 AM
Jul 2015
Sometimes, you read an average novel but its anime adaptation makes it so good that you might rethink your attitude about that average novel...but...sometimes you read an interesting novel (arifureta) and wish it had an anime. Well your wish is heard and it gets an anime and the very first episode which you were hyped about... waited nearly an year since its announcement....and you get a crap.....yup the first episode was out of place from starting to the end....
# the opening song was good but it's visuals were bland without making any foreshadowing...more like they just added a major teleportation plot in it...
#The first episode sort of started which I speculated as a part of the second episode. instead of going along with the novel ie, the advancement of the plot from a weak, ordinary lifestyle of the MC back on the earth to him getting betrayed in the dungeon, the episode was sort of like overcooked egg scramble.
# Many circumstances, emotions, character interactions that was supposed to be the part of plot building which prepares the viewers for the future story that could have advanced, the director left me with confusion and disappointment. It failed to leave any lasting impressions on me..lots of conversations were left out...which were essential part of plot building....
# Art is good but Lot of CG involvement put me off for some reason because I couldn't take those beasts seriously. Lot of frames which should have been devoted to unique circumstantial moments were missing. background music was mediocre at best...This anime was made by people who made Mirai Nikki and Steins Gate...so what the hell happened to them...
# Building up of emotions was missing....or more like no attempt was made for smooth transition of the mental health of the MC from weak minded MC to Strong, hateful MC...the transition was so abrupt for me..that it felt off....he just as someone said went Rimuru-->Naofumi-->Kaneki....
I know its just only first episode on...I hope that the studio will take care of all the deficiencies that i saw in the first episode of the anime...lets hope for the best...
NakanoHitoJul 9, 2019 9:19 AM
Jul 9, 2019 9:27 AM

Oct 2018
This episode gave me cancer
Jul 9, 2019 9:51 AM

Jan 2008
Did he just throw up blood after getting his arm cut off..? Lol.

Anyways, while everyone is calling it edgy, which it is, just wait til that feeling wears off and you'll see that this is just another chuunis wet dream show with how also cringey the things he comes up with.
Jul 9, 2019 10:18 AM

Jul 2010
As confusing as the first part of the episode was I found the part about gaining powers from monster meat to be pretty interesting. Even though it's almost identical to some other recent anime in that aspect.
Jul 9, 2019 10:38 AM

Jun 2014
I.... I have no idea what to think about that.
It was pretty bad... But I'm still curious enough to continue.
Be sure to message me if you quoted me and want me to respond! Just give me a link to the forum, because usually I leave my comment, then leave the forum.
Jul 9, 2019 10:52 AM
May 2017
RunningWild85 said:
Man after this episode I went and read all of the manga; I must say it is a lousy adaptation but it wasn't that bad. Hope they get their shit together next week!

Otherwise, I still loved it! The mc was really great, and I loved his development. The ost is also really nice. A very enjoyable watch overall.

@Meriu
You'll be in for a wild ride;

Bruhh.mp3

So this is what people call trash isekai??!
Jul 9, 2019 11:19 AM

Aug 2011
Look how they massacred my boy...
Jul 9, 2019 11:29 AM

Nov 2018
I find it almost baffling that people are trying to give credit to this, it looked awful and made no sense. Its not just generic, its straight up bad.
Jul 9, 2019 11:37 AM

Jul 2014
I like isekai and I always try to be positive with them but what the fuck is this crap?! Who the fuck thought it would be a good idea to start the story there and put those mini flashbacks that don't explain anything?!

It is not even that only a small part was skipped, for what we see in this episode they have skipped the whole introduction, we don't know anything about the world or the characters and this doesn't help the MC at all. I understand that he wasn't a very popular guy and that he was bullied by his classmates and the situation he's in put him on his limit but we didn't really see any of that, we've only known him for 5 minutes, there's no previous development that makes you empathize with him at that moment, resulting in a ridiculous scene where he suddenly goes edgy and wants to kill everyone... And then suddenly his hair turns white because monster power and then he makes a gun and bullets because alchemy power. They really delayed the series by more than a year and this is the result?

On the other hand, the opening song is great and I really liked Shirasaki. I also liked the design of the ponytail girl and not to mention the bunny girl. So if there's one thing that encourages me to keep watching the show, it's the girls. I hope it gets better.
SkyLETVJul 10, 2019 10:33 AM
Jul 9, 2019 11:38 AM
Mar 2015
That was good bear
Jul 9, 2019 12:49 PM

Jan 2014
Everything about this episode just makes me not want to continue the anime

Art/Animation is very meh/below average

MC doesn't seem to be likeable

Direction seems janky and rushed. I mean we are just thrown right into it without any buildup or anything.

Also those poll results lol, I don't think I've ever seen it that bad before

DoctorWasabiJul 9, 2019 12:58 PM
Jul 9, 2019 1:39 PM
Jul 2015
it was a mistake even considering to watch this piece of shit, I can't watch this shit.
Jul 9, 2019 2:01 PM

Nov 2013
i actually wanted to watch this just because a LN reader told me this is his favorite story and hyped it quite a bit, but ya, this episode was quite bad LOL let's hope the rest is better, otherwise i'll be super disappointed ...

tbh (other than the recommendation) i'm watching it for Yue so let's hope she is a good contender for my summer signature
fav "new" girls from winter <3 (2 extra girls this time, but 36 seasonals so whatever) ... click sig for older seasons and more possible picks
Jul 9, 2019 2:17 PM

Nov 2018
oh, boy... the epitome of a derailed train, everything is wrong on so many levels
well, but what to expect from another isekai from the world of generic LNs?

❝見つめないで 悲しい方を
目を瞑って 口づけしよう
甘く溶けるメロディー❞

❝邪魔しないで
真夜中のパラダイス
息もせずに潜っていく
二人だけのダンス❞
Jul 9, 2019 2:34 PM
Jul 2019
studio needs to fire director Yoshimoto Kinji and make ether the anime longer than 13 episodes or make each episode longer to fix the mess this moron did for a first episode.
Jul 9, 2019 2:48 PM

Nov 2014
I think the reason why the first episode was so bad was because Asread was given reigns on the first episode since it's a collab between White Fox and Asread. Asread is known for their terrible anime adaptations/series such as Big Order and Lord of Vermillion. I just hope that White Fox takes over the next couple of episodes for the series to redeem itself since the people over at Asread apparently don't know what they're doing. Also Yoshimoto needs to go!
Jul 9, 2019 2:58 PM

Nov 2014
To be honest, I think Okamoto Nobuhiko would have been a perfect VA for the MC. I loved his voice as Accelerator and Bakugou.
Jul 9, 2019 3:17 PM
Apr 2019
-Aincrad- said:

It's weird, I thought kenja no mago was getting a lot of hate but even still every single episode had more loved it! than anything else.
Jul 9, 2019 3:28 PM

Jun 2012
The premise looked like it could be really cool and interesting, but this is half assed made crap... It seems rushed, low budget and damn the MC narrates everything to the point of being stupid. We know you lost an arm, you don't have to point that out loud...
The gun blueprints just appeared there in the next frame lol and the CGI is horrendous
Jul 9, 2019 4:06 PM
Apr 2018
this anime has a lot of stories passed from manga so it seems confused that it suddenly arrives directly to isekai and enters the gorge and many other stories are missed
Jul 9, 2019 4:08 PM
Jun 2019
elementex said:
-Aincrad- said:

It's weird, I thought kenja no mago was getting a lot of hate but even still every single episode had more loved it! than anything else.

Actually, the second half of the anime scored lower than the first one and the final score is on a slow decline, dropping from somewhere around 7.1 to 6.95 for the few days after the final episode and now to 6.93. Furthermore, it had 7.6 during first episode.
Jul 9, 2019 6:07 PM

Jun 2015
Hey look!! It's KAN-EDGY..!!

God.. I'm genuinely laughing, banging my head to my desk because of its trashiness. Man, entertainments are just getting duller and duller. There's no life, the production staff are doing this because "It's their job" and refuse to go beyond. I believe no matter how trashy the original material might be, with good production value, that will make up to it.

I will watch the next episode to just laugh it off yet again
Jul 9, 2019 7:10 PM

Mar 2018
Anime has no introduction to plot, character or world.
Scene direction is hot garbage, special effects makes action anticlimactic, doing the complete opposite of what special effects should do.
Poor continuity, timeline is going all over the place.

MC voice acting is god awful, the script is even worse.
MC's character has no logical development, personality(and personality changes) makes absolutely no sense. His ability boost(in terms of intelligence) makes no sense either: MC eats monster meat and gets 200IQ. (Telling me this guy couldn't figure out ways to shift the terrain to his advantage before eating monster meat... SMH) There are generally two types of OP protagonist : those who are skilled(intelligence or experience wise) and those who have broken powers. This MF here becomes both with poor story setup and no buildup.

This first ep makes the show look like a 9yr old's fantasy. I was excited when I heard that Arifureta is getting an anime adaptation. Not anymore, didn't think this could be worse than "smartphone" and "death march", but it is.
Jul 9, 2019 7:48 PM

Jul 2019
Oh man... i was really looking forward to this adaptation. I thought that the fact that it had been delayed for almost a year could give it a chance to improve it even more than it was planned at first, but instead of it what we've got on this season is just horrifying...

A really mediocre animation, with no silhouettes in the characters (except for the monsters like the bear), a nasty looking CGI monster that is ridiculous, a terrible cut of the introduction of the anime (One of the most important things, because it gives actual sense and emotion to the history), a terrible animation on the OP and the ED (at least the songs are quite fine), and for last the thing that knocked me, was the bad execution of the despair scenes of Hajime (A fundamental part of the MC's identity and something that really connects the viewer with the history).

I haven't read the novel yet, but if you were interested in that crappy chapter and you want to follow this history, i really recommend you to read the manga, because it will give you a really good experience, a thousand times more than this adaptation.

I'll still watch it anyways, but the fact that it is going to be 13 chapters length is not giving me good vibes...
GiidJul 9, 2019 7:53 PM
"¡¡¡¡¡¡FUUKOOOOOU DAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!"
Jul 9, 2019 8:53 PM

Apr 2018
The start didn't give me many good impressions. We jump right into our MC Hajime having stuck in some labyrinth after he had supposedly fallen down. It was confusing as hell, considering I knew this show was an isekai coming into it and yet I was starting to question if it even was an isekai. The direction was just all over the place, and I'm questioning if the director is trying to make me dizzy. Could've done with a proper introduction. I found it hilarious that Hajime felt the need to narrate everything as if we couldn't see the monster eat his arm.

The animation was alright, although the CG monsters later on really didn't help. The subpar OP animation really wasn't helping my overwhelming sense of dread.

Hajime pulled a Kaneki and straight up went full edge mode. I don't mind the revenge plot though so I'm hoping they can make it interesting. His abilities are actually pretty interesting. Even though it's basically just the same as Rimuru's predator skill, he applies them with his alchemy in some interesting ways. If they go in depth into his alchemy and his creation of various tools it might be worth continuing.

Overall, not the best start but I'll give it another 2 - 3 episodes just because the transmutation mechanic intrigues me.
RayinatorJul 9, 2019 9:02 PM

    I'm not lazy...
      I'm just very unproductive.

Jul 9, 2019 9:31 PM
Apr 2019
tiwibo said:
elementex said:

Actually, the second half of the anime scored lower than the first one and the final score is on a slow decline, dropping from somewhere around 7.1 to 6.95 for the few days after the final episode and now to 6.93. Furthermore, it had 7.6 during first episode.

Only speaking on the episode by episode ratings, which are a better representation of how people feel about it
Jul 9, 2019 9:51 PM
Jul 2019
Haha, Thanks for your Skipped...:D
Jul 9, 2019 10:15 PM

Mar 2017
ughh..... a lot of people that i know are getting all hyped for this that's why i decided to watch the first episode...

and i'm
so disappointed

猫はかわいいです。 (ꈍ ‸ ꈍ)

Jul 9, 2019 10:45 PM

May 2014
Hey fellas, stop posting reviews about a serie with just one episode out. I know you're pissed off, but calm down a little, every time I check the main page of this serie there are brand new reviews (hating on it or defending it). Poor mods lol

(posting here because I don't know another place where I can post it)
Jul 9, 2019 11:07 PM
Jun 2019
elementex said:
tiwibo said:

Only speaking on the episode by episode ratings, which are a better representation of how people feel about it

... which is what I just said - the second half scored lower than first half. The most noticeable decline is the final quarter. What does it tell you when the best quarter is the first one but the worst one is the final quarter? Downtrend reception.
Jul 9, 2019 11:22 PM
Jun 2017
i legit thought they aired the wrong episode because there was zero exposition

as a manga reader, i'm greatly disappointed
Jul 9, 2019 11:26 PM
Apr 2017
euls said:
ughh..... a lot of people that i know are getting all hyped for this that's why i decided to watch the first episode...

and i'm
so disappointed

I'll be honest, I had no prior knowledge of it (literally didn't know it existed), the synopsis made it sound quite like tate no yuusha (which, to my great surprise, I very much enjoyed) so I tried watching the first episode and even I, in my ignorance, was disappointed.

In fact, this has to be one of the worst first anime episode I've ever watched in my life. It redeems itself because it's so rushed and nonsensical that it actually gets the "so bad it's good" tag but still. Such a badly, badly, badly thought out way to begin an anime adaptation.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2019

103 by TsunamiYT »»
Mar 2, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2019

173 by Seabury »»
Jan 14, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2019

158 by Seabury »»
Jan 13, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

171 by Mizangrh »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:18 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2019

89 by WELLERM »»
Nov 29, 2023 6:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.