Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jul 8, 2019 11:21 AM
Jan 2017
Mattinator95 said:
Here's a tip don't take this series seriously this basically the writers chunni fantasy

I've read the webnovel, and if I remember correctly, after the ending he continued to write fanfic with the main characters fighting a terrorist group and saving the president.
That being said, It was still pretty good and I had high hopes for this show... until I saw the first episode.
halbeyJul 8, 2019 8:54 PM
Jul 8, 2019 11:26 AM

Oct 2018
This episode competes with occultic nine's first episode. RUSHED! They went fast to the edgy part, WTf! at least they should take time.
Jul 8, 2019 11:27 AM

Feb 2010
-Aincrad- said:
Nim0174 said:
Sigh. I expected more from Whitefox. I liked Re:Zero so i hoped this would be a good Successor.
I personally really did not like it, not in any way.
I couldn't find anything positive , the whole Script was off putting.
Doesn't really matter how good the Plot is, i already jumped off the Ship.
Also i do not like the MC and his VA.
And the CGI was horrible to say the least.

White Fox might have a minor part in it
It's a collaboration with Asread, so maybe it's like 80% Asread and just 20% White Fox, or so

WF is not a studio that would need the help of another one, so it's probably mostly Asread's project

Correct.
Be aware that this first episode and the OP was produced by Asread.
There will be just some episodes outsourced to White Fox. This is exactly the same thing than GochiUsa S2 (produced by Kinema Citrus).

Anyway, that was bad but the director have a good sense of aesthetics imo.
Jul 8, 2019 11:33 AM

Oct 2012
AdrianRubinsky said:
Jesus Christ! This anime is competing with Maou sama Retry as the dumpster fire of the season.

The writing of this episode is a complete mess! Flashbacks are used to an extreme that made the whole thing a complete nonsense!

Pass

Lol Maou sama Retry wasn't nearly as bad as Arifureta imo.
Jul 8, 2019 11:37 AM
May 2011
Shiniela said:

Lol Maou sama Retry wasn't nearly as bad as Arifureta imo.

I just watched Maou-sama Retry and still would nominate Arifureta for the most disappointing show of summer.
Jul 8, 2019 11:39 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Guess no matter which world you're in there's always something more powerful than you in the food chain. Careless bravado always leads to traps being triggered huh. Despite how the rest of the class treats him the mc's attempt to buy time was admirable. Hajime's transformation from a kind gentle person to one thats only determined to survive while abrupt was quite interesting. To think that consuming monster meat would allow him to gain some new skills though. While the stat increases were impressive even more so was the appraisal skill which when combined with his intelligence allowed him to really create a new image for himself. An interesting opening ep that while showing just how scary this new world can be also showed well how Hajime went from being a default nice guy to someone thats determined to survive no matter what he has to do to achieve it.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 8, 2019 11:40 AM
Feb 2017
I didn't like the time skips, should've just shown it in chronological order. My interest in this show is gone, I'll still watch it though.
Jul 8, 2019 11:45 AM

Oct 2017
Tell me, HOW CAN MAL give this ABOMINATION of the first episode an 8?
Is Mal REALLY that tasteless?

The execution and presentation of the anime is TERRIBLE.
The way they mesh in 4 different timeline randomly when they try to explain something is such an atrocious way of telling story , and easily break all immersion.
It's hard to care about ANYONE in the show due to the way the timeline and flashback is layed out.

The production value is absolute trash with jarring immersion breaking cheap CGI monsters.

The voice acting of mc is trash since the beginning. I can't get the emotion out of him, be it fear/ pain/ terror/ struggle. All of them seem SO FAKE due to how bad the voice acting is. And because of the way the plot is layed out, it's hard to care about mc at all despite his suffering.

The source is already not good due to bad writing and very generic premise (cheap betrayal, mc being mistreated cuz he's weakest, but then he has this one gimmick that makes him strongest, etc). The anime somehow manage to make it 10 times worse, which is really something.
Ventus_SJul 8, 2019 11:52 AM
Jul 8, 2019 11:48 AM

Oct 2018
Ventus_S said:

The way they mesh in 4 different timeline randomly when they try to explain something is such an atrocious way of telling story , and easily break all immersion.
It's hard to care about ANYONE in the show due to the way the timeline and flashback is layed out.

The production value is absolute trash with jarring immersion breaking cheap CGI monsters.

The voice acting of mc is trash since the beginning. I can't get the emotion out of him, be it fear/ pain/ terror/ struggle. All of them seem SO FAKE due to how bad the voice acting is. And because of the way they lay-out, it's hard to care about mc at all despite his suffering.

The source is already not good due to bad writing and very generic premise (cheap betrayal, mc being mistreated cuz he's weakest, but then he has this one gimmick that makes him strongest, etc). The anime somehow manage to make it 10 times worse, which is really something.

It had 8.10 score before the first episode even aired, and hasn't been updated since then

In a few hours at most we'll see the real score
Jul 8, 2019 12:01 PM

Oct 2017
Mythologically said:
Always fun to see idiots get pissed off because boring shit got cut out of their favorite LN lol.

Pretty great episode. Surprised the second season of Shield Hero came out this quickly.

Always great to see how tasteless Mal audience can be.
They don't know how pacing works, they don't know how character buildup works, they don't know how to tell an emotional story that layout a contrast between the normal and the despair. All they care about is some brain-dead action that has no substances in it.

Also thanks for reminding another trash isekai that're at the same level, but somehow has a better first episode.
Jul 8, 2019 12:09 PM
Apr 2019
-Aincrad- said:
Ventus_S said:

The voice acting of mc is trash since the beginning. I can't get the emotion out of him, be it fear/ pain/ terror/ struggle. All of them seem SO FAKE due to how bad the voice acting is. And because of the way they lay-out, it's hard to care about mc at all despite his suffering.

It had 8.10 score before the first episode even aired, and hasn't been updated since then

In a few hours at most we'll see the real score

Lol, the first episode is already aired a few hours before you posted your comment because japan's time is earlier. They give a score because the first two episodes have pre-screening event yesterday. Yesterday, the score is 7.24. Today just before it was aired, the score is 7.90. And after it was aired, the score is 8.10.

But, I guess after a few episodes. The score will either stay same or become lower (I bet it will become lower).

Oh, and in case you don't know. It's not the MAL who give the score. But it's the users who sign in on MAL! So, please don't blame the MAL. Blame the users.
GSFTJul 8, 2019 12:16 PM
Jul 8, 2019 12:12 PM
Jul 2017
i....i...i have never been so disappointed in my life.
i have been waiting for ages for this anime, the visuals of the characters looked great.
i loved the LN and i am still reading the after story's.
but this.....is on a whole other level of trash and just bad. i can't believe they turned one of my fv LN's in a trash anime. i trusted white fox, i can understeand if Asread was the one who did it, cuz they did some shit anime, but of white fox was the main one, then i just lost alot of hope in them, i still haven't lost it, because re:zero is fantastic (well it also depends on the staff behind it)
but that they are giving better treatment ot the other iskeai that they are making that comes out in fall 2019 is just bullshit.
Jul 8, 2019 12:15 PM

Jun 2017
I like the revolver so I'll stay. (I know, most dumb reason to watch an anime, ever xD)
Jul 8, 2019 12:18 PM
Apr 2019
BistAkal said:
i have been waiting for ages for this anime, the visuals of the characters looked great.
but this.....is on a whole other level of trash and just bad. i can't believe they turned one of my fv LN's in a trash anime. i trusted white fox, i can understeand if Asread was the one who did it, cuz they did some shit anime, but of white fox was the main one, then i just lost alot of hope in them, i still haven't lost it, because re:zero is fantastic (well it also depends on the staff behind it)
but that they are giving better treatment ot the other iskeai that they are making that comes out in fall 2019 is just bullshit.

I'm agree! They destroy this series through anime. Two studios are working as the animators and yet they can't adapt it into a good anime? Amazing, White Fox and Asread!
Jul 8, 2019 12:18 PM
Dec 2018
Can someone explain how this got 8.1? This was a really bad episode. Cgi, animation, directing, almost every thing was bad. The opening was great, but even that has bad visuals.
Jul 8, 2019 12:19 PM

Mar 2017
I have mixed feelings about this to be honest. I thought it had some really awesome elements (like Nagumo's transformation, the horrific beginning scenes & he's increasingly sadistic personality) but it also had some really awful elements (the CGI monsters, the animation and the general telling of the story).

Despite the bad stuff, it's piqued my interest...
Jul 8, 2019 12:20 PM
Sep 2014
BistAkal said:

we have the same feeling..

the CGI, camera movement, static images, story skips, BGM, sound effects..
it's all just really bad
Jul 8, 2019 12:21 PM
Apr 2019
MomoSinX said:
I like the revolver so I'll stay. (I know, most dumb reason to watch an anime, ever xD)

Oh, it's not only a revolver.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.
DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:40 AM
Jul 8, 2019 12:22 PM
Apr 2019
Cronixx said:
BistAkal said:

we have the same feeling..

the CGI, camera movement, static images, story skips, BGM, sound effects..
it's all just really bad

I will forget about this anime and return to the LN. Yeah, let's pretend this one never exist (unless they want to fix it in the future).
Jul 8, 2019 12:24 PM
Sep 2017
They really rushed it and skipped tons of content, they should have made this a long anime and not a 13 eps one. Well just go read the Web novel or Light novel, the anime itself will be bad
Jul 8, 2019 12:24 PM
Jul 2019
It's been a long time since I've been this disappointed. It's the first episode but that just did not seem redeemable. What an awful start

They even took out the entire isekai part out lmao, they only left it in the OP.
Jul 8, 2019 12:32 PM

Apr 2019
That was so disappoiting... Bad animation, bad cgi and bad writing. I'll still watch it though.

The MC looks like Accelerator but with a bad voice acting.
Jul 8, 2019 12:32 PM

Jul 2017
holy fuck! i was expecting trash and i got what i expected and a bonus spit on my dignity,
thats the same caliber of belle delphine selling used bath water shit.
tbh, i'm amazed of how this anime managed to be wrost then i expected despite my expectations being low af, i'm not happy.

the characters are generic af,
mc is basicly a generic kirito that isn't poweful for a change and suddenly bam! he get a ptsd and somehow decide to eat monsters which apparently make him stronger and he get their abilities, wow! how didn't anyone else in that fucking world notice this?

i honestly can't name one good thing about this show so far, its a fucking atrocity.

tldr: the characters are boring steriotypes, mc is the same and after ptsd he become the guy from angels of death but with kaneki's hair, the directing feels like it was done by a 5 years old child, the animation is shit,story is rushed af and my god! that cg is almost as bad as black clover's diamond monster.

overall, i don't recommend this shit to anyone but i'll keep watching it untill i can no longer handle torturing myself.
Jul 8, 2019 12:36 PM

Mar 2018
Welp, that fucking sucked... They couldn't have butchered this first ep more than they did. I don't think this is watchable unless you've read the LN or Manga cuz they didn't even explained how they got there. And it's not like I fucking love the source material or anything, I think it's decent but still disappointed
Jul 8, 2019 12:37 PM

May 2018
Wow, the hate from manga readers is off the charts. I actually liked the first episode
Jul 8, 2019 12:39 PM
Feb 2013
WOOOW, they screwed the pooch with this one. As someone who has been following the series for years, this shit's irredeemable. They've completely butchered the adaptation. This is nearly Hand Shakers levels of bad, and it's such a shame.
Jul 8, 2019 12:45 PM
Sep 2016
It's impressive how hard they fail.
It's not like Arifureta has a complexe story or deep characters, it's as generic as it get, they could just have done a basic adaption and make something decent. Here I don't see how anyone who didn't read the LN or Manga could be interest.
Well aside from that animation and VA are terrible.
The worldbuilding, characters and story are mediocre but that was already the case in the source material, but there at least it was kinda fun and badass.
Jul 8, 2019 12:47 PM

Jan 2013
Great.
I laughed for the entire episode!
Wait.
They are serious?
Like, this is not supposed to be funny?
Signature removed. It was too good for this cruel world.
Jul 8, 2019 12:54 PM

Jul 2019
The only reason I liked this episode was because of the MC becoming crazier and crazier as time goes on. lol
Life is a despicable endurance race
Jul 8, 2019 1:04 PM

Jun 2017
GSFT said:
MomoSinX said:

Oh, that's cool then.

Mod Edit: Modified quote of edited post.
DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:37 AM
Jul 8, 2019 1:08 PM

Feb 2019
I expected another shield hero, but only obtained a Kaneki with another rushed and chaotic adaptation.

After finishing the episode I saw the first chapter the manga, it seems that they could not wait to show the "intense" parts and the MC already being overpowered, removing all the introduction of him in his home world, and his friends bah! as if that were an important factor, nah only matters to see how the protagonist suffers a huge injustice to have sympathy with the public and then can be all a badass and OP, but even that is a mediocre execution they jump immediately to the climax of their tragedy without first showing how boring and personalityless it was before, although well if it was another "faithful" adaptation the first episode would be full of infodump of a duration of 40 minutes like tate no yuusha although in any case the both protagonist is still bland and entirely passive.

I do not say who is worse because both have an very bad writing based, all premise and "original plot twist" based in a lie, the story is nonsense, the characters only exist to fulfill a role and they adjust when the plot requires it, all the mechanics of Video games feel out of place like the status screens, levels and skills. And of course the lesson and message of all this work in the story is the worse thing, since the only thing the author wants to tell is "how he would take revenge on all those people who treated him badly in his real life", and how he giving all the necessary powers to his protagonist so that his selfish mission is easy.
Jul 8, 2019 1:09 PM
Apr 2009
AlphaN00b said:

mc is basicly a generic kirito that isn't poweful for a change and suddenly bam! he get a ptsd and somehow decide to eat monsters which apparently make him stronger and he get their abilities, wow! how didn't anyone else in that fucking world notice this?

i honestly can't name one good thing about this show so far, its a fucking atrocity.

Actually, he actually did read it in a book (he really read alot of books while he was there) that they actually died trying to eat monster corpses. He just forgot about it because he was too hungry.

The only reason he survived is because he drank that special water.

Everyone already said what I wanted to say about this.
Way too rushed, would've been better if the episode would've been longer,

DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:37 AM
Jul 8, 2019 1:12 PM
Nov 2011
I wasn't excpecting a good adaptation, but I still got disappointed
Jul 8, 2019 1:14 PM
Apr 2019
MomoSinX said:
GSFT said:

Oh, that's cool then.

But it will be spoilers if I tell you what are they (unless you already know).

DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:36 AM
Jul 8, 2019 1:16 PM

Nov 2014
Looked rather cheap, but interesting nonetheless. Hopefully it keeps at least current level.
Jul 8, 2019 1:16 PM

Jul 2017
mgtwan said:
AlphaN00b said:

Actually, he actually did read it in a book (he really read alot of books while he was there) that they actually died trying to eat monster corpses. He just forgot about it because he was too hungry.

not sure if i forgot seeying that or if it was butchered.
thanks for explaining anyway.
Jul 8, 2019 1:21 PM
Feb 2018
Shield Hero, is it you? Yeah, you, the one no one wants to be with because you have the one and only useless (seemingly) skill.

May 2010
I think its missing the Comedy tag cause this was laughably bad.

im still gonna watch it just to give it a "proper" rating when its over.
Apr 2019
mgtwan said:
AlphaN00b said:

Way too rushed, would've been better if the episode would've been longer,

I'm agree. My imagination about the adaptation when I first read the novel years ago:

But now they disappoint me with this anime.

DeadlyRavenJul 9, 2019 4:35 AM
Jul 8, 2019 1:26 PM

Oct 2018
"However, his simple life of pulling all-nighters and sleeping in school is suddenly turned upside down when he, along with the rest of his class, is summoned to a fantasy world! They're treated like heroes and tasked with the duty of saving the human race from utter extinction"

Yeah, all of these were skipped entirely and we saw nothing of it

First episode really was quite a mess

I've been looking forward to this anime a lot, I hope the rest of the episodes won't be like this :/
Jul 8, 2019 1:26 PM
Apr 2013
Holy fuck in heaven, is this piece of shit even watchable if not considered as a parody? The pacing is horrendous, the characters are clichè, the art is like cancer, the voice actors are bland, and the story is shit. I mean, its laughingstock, yes, but I seriously wonder how this trainwreck had a mean score of 8.1 when I last took a look. I rated it 3 points while being generous!
Jul 8, 2019 1:30 PM
Jul 2019
Personally I havnt read the light novel but I am up to date on all 33 manga chapters
But that first episode was awful

.1 unless you had read it you would’ve had no clue as to what the f**k is going on unlike in the manga they don’t potray what his character is like and the relations with his class mates and they don’t even say why their in the isekai world in the first place making it make zero sense

2 there is way to much cg and all of it is awful

3. The awesome scene where his hair changes is one frame

4.) they barely portray why he is going insane and brush over everything to quickly

5.) I still don’t know where the first chapter has fu**ed off to
Jul 8, 2019 1:31 PM

Apr 2015
Nim0174 said:
Sigh. I expected more from Whitefox. I liked Re:Zero so i hoped this would be a good Successor.
I personally really did not like it, not in any way.
I couldn't find anything positive , the whole Script was off putting.
Doesn't really matter how good the Plot is, i already jumped off the Ship.
Also i do not like the MC and his VA.
And the CGI was horrible to say the least.

Just so you know, all the staff comes from Asread, White Fox is only going to help with animation here and there.
Jul 8, 2019 1:33 PM

Nov 2018
Jesus the animation in this is awful.
"Otaku search for patterns within data presented and draw conclusions. Anime fans only see clones and copies."
-artificialnightsky
Jul 8, 2019 1:39 PM

Jan 2009
GSFT said:
mgtwan said:

Way too rushed, would've been better if the episode would've been longer, show that they we're actually isekai'd away (The whole class), meeting with the summoner and king, having them explained about the world and the stat system.
Have them find out about their stats/class and about how shitty that of Hajime is, which results in them bullying him even more. Then going for them exploring their first dungeon, have the trap happen and end it with the cliff hanger of him falling down after getting hit by his jealous classmate that likes Kaori.

I'm agree. My imagination about the adaptation when I first read the novel years ago:

Episode 1 - from the prologue to Hajime falls into the abyss.

Episode 2 - Hajime try to survive the abyss to meet Yue.

Episode 3 - Hajime and Yue explores the abyss to fighting Hydra (which end with a cliffhanger where Yue thought Hajime died).

Episode 4 - Continuation of the fight to the end of volume 1.

But now they disappoint me with this anime.

This is a problem in alot of isekai's, they rush the introductory episode usually so they can get to secondary protagonists, this one did seem a bit excessive though.

Hopefully they slow it down but we'll have to wait and see next week, really hope they don't turn this into another one of those blazing paced isekai's, since this one is fairly unique.

As for my thoughts on the episode, of what i know about the first few chapters, i'm not surprised they skipped alot of it (it's kind of fluff compared to the rest of the series, and kind of might give you the wrong idea about the series) but even then it seemed a bit too fast paced for it's own good , and sidestepped some of the world building (which to be fair, can be done similarly to a flashback if need be, but i doubt they will do that).

I really hope they slow it down though, this isekai deserves a good adaptation.
Jul 8, 2019 1:41 PM
Apr 2019
Overall a great isekai that will probably surpass shield hero for me
Jul 8, 2019 1:41 PM

Jul 2016
I saw around the first four minutes. I thought "oh, I've got half an hour, let's watch this thing" but got tired super quick. Although, looking at everyone else's comments, I guess I didn't miss much.
I have a massive headache right now and I need sleep
Jul 8, 2019 1:42 PM

May 2009
I liked the episode, aside from the million flashbacks that didnt make sense and the fact that he is like kirito in the first half to naofumi in the second.

But oof I see many manga readers dont approve. that means it will eventually turn into a trainwreck for sure ;v;
check out my twitch: https://twitch.tv/slowy
Jul 8, 2019 1:42 PM
Jun 2015
If you don't like Hulu this is on Funimation as well.

Anyway, the premise is interesting but the timelines? Wtf is that? And the CG in this is horrible.

I'll keep watching to see if it improves but not holding my breath.
Jul 8, 2019 1:47 PM

Apr 2019
They just streamed tthat tutorial video, "How to produce a generic isekai for teens, without a budget or creative idea?". Boring. When does the series start? Oh, that was the series? Oh boy, here comes the next drop. *plonk*

Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 23, 2019

103 by TsunamiYT »»
Mar 2, 6:10 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Aug 19, 2019

173 by Seabury »»
Jan 14, 6:51 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 22, 2019

158 by Seabury »»
Jan 13, 7:04 PM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Oct 7, 2019

171 by Mizangrh »»
Dec 26, 2023 8:18 AM

Poll: » Arifureta Shokugyou de Sekai Saikyou Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 30, 2019

89 by WELLERM »»
Nov 29, 2023 6:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.