Forum Settings
Forums

Is there an anime that you thought you'd love but ended up hating?

New
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Jul 6, 2019 6:39 AM

Feb 2017
For me it's Attack on Titan. I thought it would be as good as Muv Luv Series since AoT inspired by it. But i was wrong. It still good but not that good/great. It still blew my mind how much people praise AoT like it's the best thing ever.
Jul 6, 2019 3:27 PM

Sep 2017
Well, I didn't think I'd love Highschool of the Dead when I started it, I thought it may be interesting, but for sure I was disappointed when I finished it.
Jul 7, 2019 12:17 PM
Feb 2018
@Themousen
I found it to be another one of those generic anime that just focus on a bunch of high school girls with massive tits. I just stopped watching after the first episode because there was nothing to it at all.
Jul 7, 2019 12:27 PM

Jul 2015
His & Hers Circumstances for sure, really a mess at the end. I actually liked Himouto Umaru-chan, mainly because of Sylphinford, yes indeed!
Jul 7, 2019 3:17 PM

Sep 2017
BlueOtaku2001 said:
@Themousen
I found it to be another one of those generic anime that just focus on a bunch of high school girls with massive tits. I just stopped watching after the first episode because there was nothing to it at all.

Exactly how I felt too

I was first interested because it was dealing with zombies, which is pretty unusual for an anime (and I was in my Walking Dead phase then), but I quickly realised this show was all about bouncing boobies, so...nothing interesting to see, I forced myself to finish it. Thankfully there were only 12 episodes
Jul 7, 2019 7:23 PM
Jul 2018
Sword Art Online

My top two favorite animes are Attack on Titan and Death Note so I thought maybe I like popular animes(silly ik). Gave sao a try thinking it's my next favorite anime but it ended up being my worst anime.
Jul 7, 2019 7:33 PM

Oct 2012
Bakemonogatari. I saw some pictures of the series online and thought the animation looked absolutely beautiful. Afterwards, I read the plot and it looked like something I would definitely enjoy. The first episode started off okay, but went downhill quickly. I couldn't even bring myself to finish the series because I hated it so much. Boring and pretentious beyond belief.
Jul 8, 2019 6:04 AM

Apr 2010
Not sure if hate but, Kiss him not me
Blazablue

Jul 8, 2019 6:11 AM

Jan 2015
Greyleaf said:
Terror in Resonance. Premise looked great, it was created/directed by Watanabe (Cowboy Bebop), and the visuals/sound were downright amazing. Piss poor writing, though, and honestly the single worst case of "Engrish" I've ever seen in anime. Gah, I really wanted to love that show.

Fate UBW. I really liked Fate/Zero, so I was expecting the same kind of ride with UBW. Nope, instead I got some of the most bland and hilariously bad writing I've ever witnessed. Shirou, Rin, Archer and Shinji can all suck it.

Steins;Gate 0. Okay, this one downright pissed me off. As a huge fan of S;G, you won't believe how excited I was for this series. Instead of a sci-fi epic like the original, I got a series that dragged for 23 episodes, achieving what it could've easily done in a single cour. Too many pointless arcs. Just a monumental disappointment overall.

I could go on and list plenty of other shows, but these are just a few notable ones that come to mind.

Fate uwb is so fucking bad, I agree with you on that, only difference I had a feeling from the start it will be trash after I saw the MC, but I got baited into wasting my time on that shitshow
Jul 8, 2019 6:13 AM
Jan 2019
One Punch Man..... A lot of people like this show
I try..... But is so boring and tedious
Jul 8, 2019 6:17 AM
Jul 2018
Citrus, forced drama, romantized abusive relationship, blonde girl deserves much better.

For manga, it was Ten Count.
Jul 8, 2019 10:13 AM

Jan 2018
Konosuba
The Internet said it was pretty funny, never laughed. It was disappointing
Jul 8, 2019 11:00 AM

Apr 2019
Yu-Gi-Oh! Arc-V It started to smell oozely garbage-ish when they announced Crow and Jack be joining as AU vers. And to my expectation, it did turn out shit. Way to be closer to the hellfire of 5Ds. I did have high hope for Arc-V but it betrayed me. Even the Xyz arc which still gave me hope at that time was shit.

Other than that, nothing in particular.
Jul 9, 2019 1:00 PM

Jun 2019
I definitely didn't hate it as there is a lot to appreciate from the aesthetics, unique world-building, and concepts raised (but not delivered upon), but I recently watched and was rather disappointed with Neon Genesis Evangelion.

Maybe I'm just sick to death of protagonists being super-depressed to the point where they become unwatchable as I find it so unrelatable and unappealing to watch characters whose only concern is hating themselves for not having everyone else's approval. But also, a lot of it was dazzling but devoid of substance. I wouldn't at all mind a significant portion of the series' time being devoted to tech talk if it ended up actually mattering and the message wasn't "The plot doesn't matter fool, it's all about the symbolism." Yes, the more psychological and philosophical stuff raised in the tail end of the show was adequately explained and explored, but it was very disconnected from the main plot which essentially just fizzled out.

All the religious imagery was effectively just superimposed on the series to give it a cool, mysterious, and exotic edge (as the Abrahamic religions are viewed in Japan) as the creators admitted and thus, the actually story and depth of said story and its characters came across as very underwhelming to me. A collection of intriguing ideas does not a great story make. I appreciate what it was trying to do, its influence as a big title with exposure on the anime industry for future series in anime to do bold things and be taken more seriously in the West, critically and commercially.

Since it's such a well-respected series I don't want to just trash it as there are important things to take away and aspects of it I very much liked. The music, from OP to integration of classical pieces during some battles, was great. Several mech battles were inventive for the genre and handled masterfully, almost choreographed like a ballet. The ending was impressively avant-garde.

Yet at no point in watching did I ever feel like I was viewing a compelling story with characters to legitimately get invested in, but more of a lavish and elaborate backdrop for talking about a few ideas. Plot threads were dropped as soon as they arrived. Side characters were suddenly built up as important and then dropped, while main characters were neutered or taken out of the story for chunks. Again, not feeling like real people or a breathing organic story but a collection of scenes.

I'm frankly tired of series where you should really only half-care what's going on for 24 episodes and then wait for everything to be revealed in the final two, in this non-linear way. It makes the characters feel more like props and set pieces and most of the watching experience a chore.
WatchTillTandavaJul 9, 2019 1:10 PM
Jul 9, 2019 1:14 PM

Jul 2017
akame ga kill, the high ratings really made me put down my guard and boy oh boy! i found myselft laughing at the death scenes and thats the most entertainement i got from it so that say something.
Jul 9, 2019 1:27 PM

Aug 2009
Aside from some random hentai that I might have watched more than six years ago, I got nothing.

Jul 9, 2019 1:30 PM

Jul 2017
FilthyCasual666 said:
The melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.I start watching because of how popular it is.End up hating it.Haruhi is a bitch

sameeeeeeeee,

im actually so gald im not the only one that thinks this, and just doesnt like the anime that much itself
<3 "Nothing compares to Dark Enchantress Cookie's greatness!" <3
Jul 9, 2019 1:31 PM
Apr 2016
Maneki-Mew said:
Citrus, forced drama, romantized abusive relationship, blonde girl deserves much better.

For manga, it was Ten Count.

I completely agree with Citrus (especially the abusive part)
I thought Citrus was going to be a good Shoujo-Ai (finally), but again I was dissapointed. The search continues...

Mmm... I expected a lot from Orange. It was probably the worst anime I have ever watched (At least the OP and ED are good imo)
Jul 9, 2019 1:34 PM

Jun 2015
Akame ga Kill and Future Diary to an extent.
Jul 9, 2019 1:38 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
It's weird to say no because I usually know what I'm getting into and know my taste.

I guess Amanchu Advance despite me hearing how downhill it was gonna end up, S1 impressed me so much that when S2 became the literal dumpster fire with no direction I was a little distraught.
Jul 9, 2019 1:48 PM

Apr 2014
Angels of Death: God Awful in every way possible. Worst show I've watched.
Rokka no Yuusha: Had a good first episode but quickly became a terrible show with nothing going for it.
Kill la Kill: Just fucking bad. Don't know how this shit gets praise.
Madan no Ou to Vanadis: One of the worst harem/ecchi shows I've sat through.
Ikkitousen: Just boring fanservice that was plain and uninteresting in every way possible.
Harukana Receive: Premise was great, but bad characters, animation and art made this a snoozefest real fast.
Garo: Guren no Tsuki: First season of Garo was great. This follow up, was the complete opposite, and was just garbage.
Dies Irae: Had an interesting premise, but the plot was all over the place, and did nothing to keep the viewer interested.
Clockwork Planet: Was promising that another piece of work from the creator of NGNL got an adaptation. To bad that it was just fucking boring, and showed no interest from the ones working on it.
Jul 9, 2019 2:41 PM
Apr 2019
Fmab:unlogically ending and disgusting fmab fanatic fan
Stein gate:only idotic scientist
Slime:smiliar like overlord but too templete
BSD:mc like naruto but fail
Jul 9, 2019 2:44 PM
Sep 2017
One in recent memory is bunny girl senpai. People seem to love it but I found nothing interesting in it at all.
Jul 10, 2019 8:48 PM
Sep 2017
Shield hero: Everybody in that shows was garbage.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 10, 2019 9:51 PM
Jul 2018
Shoujo Kakumei Utena. I thought I'd love it but it's one of my most hated shows.
Jul 11, 2019 12:01 AM

Jun 2016
Ano Hana - Started great with well presented themes about childhood and friendships, ended up with romance themes that felt totally forced and unnatural for the age of characters.
Ergo Proxy - everything in the first episodes waa set up for a great anime (art, story, mood, characters) but then is all form and no substance...
Yoru wa Mijikashi Arukeyo Otome - Tatami Galaxy is a masterpiece, but this is just...meh...
Golden Kamui - It seemed a very good realistic seinen at first, with war themes and very good main characters, but then the comedy and unrealistic scenes got out od control, I dropped it, that's a pity
Jul 11, 2019 12:12 AM

Jul 2014
I was hoping to end up liking Accel World. 3 episodes in & I couldn't watch anymore of it.

Without going into too much detail, I thought the premise was selfish & not entertaining enough for me.
Jul 11, 2019 12:20 AM

Jan 2019
Mine was That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime. It started out good. I liked the animation, but it quickly got boring and repetitive because there seemed to be no threat and everyone just falls in love with this Slime thing. I dropped the show half way through.
"In the End, Only Kindness Matters" -Jewel
Jul 11, 2019 12:30 AM

Jan 2017
-Aincrad- said:
First anime that comes to my mind is Toradora

I saw it was popular on MAL, it's score is not bad either and I've heard it was a really good romance anime

I'm not saying it's a bad one, but for me it was the most boring romance anime I've seen so far
I've watched all episodes, but I wouldn't say I liked it too much

Can relate with that. Bowed down to MAL and Reddit hype and decided to give it a try. Only redeemable thing about that show was the ED, Vanilla Salt.
Jul 11, 2019 12:45 AM

Jun 2019
Index III. Not enough Biribiri. Too much random dudes with weird acronyms fighting each other. Didn't hate it, though.
Jul 11, 2019 1:36 AM

Jan 2018
Hmm there are many list that you guys have mentioned, but if I narrow it down to shows that I expected to love but ended up hating it is probably himouto umaru chan. Going to throw a childish tantrum with chibi mode isn't going to distract me from the fact that she's a bratty spoiled sister reinforced, given empowerment to behave like that due to having a soy boy brother. It was actually the side characters that supported me to finish it.

Slime isekai was fun until the gender preach mode in order to appeal to more people I guess? I wouldn't mind but they decided that the gender is a necessary explanation which did rub me off in the wrong way. It's like some sort of lgbt indoctrination bullcrap.

A certain magical index was bland, I mean Index is a shallow character. It's almost like she's in the show as a mascot or should I say a bait for people to keep watching it. 24 episode of talk no justu is certainly gets better in second season no? Watch railgun you say, nah ah biribiri wasn't amusing to watch on her own except when she's interacting with mc which I doubt it's going to be the main focus. It's almost like it's unfair that I gave Index a chance but I dropped durarara cause both have slow pace in my opinion.
Jul 11, 2019 1:44 AM

Jun 2016
mhkr said:
Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho: Everyone said it's one of the best CGDCTs and it has a great cast but for me it definitely isn't
It's not cgdct because it's good. Anything good means it's not cgdct. K-on is cgdct
Jul 11, 2019 1:49 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
Definitely Hand Shakers. I first learned about it about a month before it aired. I was still just getting into anime, so nearly everything I watched was enjoyable. I had looked at the preview, and read the synopsis. The story seemed really interesting and I loved the art style.
In comes the first episode, and everybody knows how that turned out. It just went downhill from there.

Similarly, I had high expectations for Ousama Game The Animation, as it seemed to have a really interesting story. Many people were also praising the novel, so naturally, I thought that it would be a great show. I saw the first episode, and it became the funniest horror anime that I watched. In other words, it sucked.
Jul 11, 2019 6:45 AM

Jun 2017
Edocchi said:
mhkr said:
Sora Yori mo Tooi Basho: Everyone said it's one of the best CGDCTs and it has a great cast but for me it definitely isn't
It's not cgdct because it's good. Anything good means it's not cgdct. K-on is cgdct

Please don't deny you liked at least one moeshit show :) And your opinion doesn't makes it as not a CGDCT

@Edocchi Aria is on my PTW list for a long time and I will watch it soon
mhkrJul 11, 2019 7:15 AM
Jul 11, 2019 6:56 AM

Jun 2016
mhkr said:
Edocchi said:

Please don't deny you liked at least one moeshit show :) And your opinion doesn't makes it as not a CGDCT
Yes I like Aria. Not as moe as Doremi though. You should watch it. it's Junichi Sato's magnum opus ;>
Jul 11, 2019 7:04 AM

Jul 2014
Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya, the hype around this show and the love Haruhi got is still a mystery to me. Kyon's cool tho.
Jul 11, 2019 9:27 AM
Jan 2017
Persona 5 The Animation. Not even my girl Haru can save that dreaded show.
Jul 11, 2019 9:31 AM

May 2017
Gekkan Shoujo Nozaki-Kun
I don't know why...
and I love comedy animes...
end my suffering
Jul 11, 2019 9:46 AM

Apr 2019
The Lost Village, maybe, its not surprisin that anyone knows it.

And...Gintama, I think, but just cause I dont get the point.

I dropped Texhnolyze for some reason.
Jul 11, 2019 12:51 PM
May 2016
Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari!

actually, I don't remember if I thought I was going to love it, but... I think I had a positive attidute, yes, I did watch 8 episodes, after all.
Jul 11, 2019 1:01 PM
Mar 2019
My hero academia and one punch man I only watched a handful of episode's but ended up hating them.
Jul 12, 2019 2:58 AM
Oct 2018
Re:creators
Without any doubts it's the worst anime and the one I hate the most..
It was okay till 5-6 episodes...but then it became annoying and dragging...
Jul 12, 2019 3:59 AM
May 2019
ookami shoujo.
It was recommended to me a while back by someone talking about their favorite romance anime in a forum. I gave it a shot and absolutely hated it in every way possible.
I dont know how to describe how I was even able to finish it tbh. the characters were atrociously annoying and pissed me off so bad I wanted to slap them. the plot wasn't any better either and the "romance" between the two main characters was.. really abusive
I can see why some people like it but honestly, I dont think it was worth the watch.
Jul 12, 2019 4:27 AM

Oct 2018
Shield hero and Fmab were really boring and I wasn't a fan of any antagonist in fmab, i was happy it ended in good note but it was still boring in my opinion and I also didn't enjoyed clannad and your lie in april.
Ri22rkJul 12, 2019 4:31 AM
Jul 12, 2019 4:42 AM
Sep 2016
There's only one I really hate
-Bungou Stray dogs s2: first season was okay, second saison starts quite well the guild introduction was really good and Lovecraft is cool, then everything goes bad with plot hole, terrible power up, blend characters and friendship power saving the day,..
I end up supporting the vilain cause at least they had a clear goal, better characters and when they succed it wasn't thank to plot convenience.
Overall the wasted potential is probably what make it all even worst.
Jul 12, 2019 8:56 AM

Feb 2017
A Place Further Than The Universe.
Premise sounded cool, I expected some nice adventure anime with girls exploring Antarctica but it turned out to be a repetitive drama that I didn't enjoy at all. Also couldn't bring myself to like any of the characters.
Jul 13, 2019 1:52 PM

Sep 2014
5 Centimeters per Second. Makoto Shinkai movies are meh

« »
đź”® Tojo Nozomi
Washi Washi
Jul 13, 2019 2:26 PM
Mar 2019
For me it would be King’s game The Animation. There were some things I liked about the show and it had a great premise, but it left me highly disappointed. I just hope season 2 (if there will be one) does better because I really wanted this show to be good.
Jul 13, 2019 2:29 PM

Jun 2017
RuBiXuitous said:
Shinsekai yori- The premise was interesting and it appeared to be rated quite highly, but after watching it, I felt the characters were really bland. Makes it much less memorable than it should be.

i second this. thank god i'm not the only one
Jul 13, 2019 2:45 PM

Nov 2016
kuraharah said:
MeisterDM said:

What did you dislike about the third season of free and boku no hero? I'm curious since you rated their previous installments high.

Bad, dry, and pointless drama in Free.
Repetitiveness in bnha. Also more and more uninteresting side characters being added whom i just couldn't bring myself to care about.

As a fan of the BNHA Manga, I can agree that the Exam Arc that got stretched to fill the 2nd half of the season was one of the worst Compared to the rest. Mostly because of the Focus in the Academic Stuff and not that much in the SuperHero Aspect. Good thing S4 will adapt my Favorite Manga arc.

OT: I Don't think there are that many.

• Welcome to the N.H.K-Had heard a ton of praise online and I loved the first 5 episodes but recently I tried picking it up again and Hated it. I just don't like the MC and his friend (The one he was making and Eroge with).
  • Darling in the FranXX (Episodes 14-18) The rest of the Show was Good. Its just this Middle part of it that felt Extremely Forced. The drama felt Forced, The subplot with Kokoro felt forced, The constant action that was present before this was Gone. 02's Whole Character was gone since she felt like a shell of her former self at that time, Everything went to shit there. Episodes 1-13 felt like a Modernized and More "Triggerized" EVA, Episode 19 was an interesting Info dump and Episodes 20-24 FELT LIKE A hOMAGE TO TTGL'S SECOND HALF. Looking back at it, Those episodes feel out of place and were enough to drop my score from an 8 to a 6. JUST BECAUSE THE REST WAS GOOD. If it had all been like those episodes it might've been even lower.
  • Yuri on Ice-Saw this one when it came out. The Animation was good but Couldn't get into the plot mostly for the Yaoi aspect. Its the same as some women who can't handle Yuri shows. It feels weird to watch a Homo plot of your own gender.
  • Tokyo Ghoul after Season 1-I really like Ishida Sui's original Manga. Too bad that it was botched in the Anime after S1. TG Root A completely strayed away from the Source making it feel like a Filler and instead of Course correcting and Adapting the secon half of The original TG they just went directly to :re rushing it worse than Russians Rush B in CSGO in Dust 2.

GokaiKingJul 13, 2019 3:14 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
1 minute ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

16 by MeguSae38 »»
9 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

47 by MeguSae38 »»
11 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9068 by animeboilolz »»
38 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

91 by Zarutaku »»
52 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.