Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jul 4, 2019 8:45 PM

Dec 2014
well I was not about to watch ...and thought it was a medicare show..but it is actually good surprizingly
Jul 4, 2019 8:51 PM
Jul 2018
This kind of ripped of MWS similar they start but so many plot armour and convinience and weird way to teleport in the very first episode bothered me and the colorful tone as well. I wonder if we will get satisfying answer to the absurd mysteries so far. Also the main female lead is too annoying already :\ I hope it will get dark and lessen the comedic elements because it really doesnt suit well given how tense the situation they are.

I also hope it doesnt end up like they have been tested lol.
removed-userJul 4, 2019 9:12 PM
Jul 4, 2019 9:16 PM

Oct 2017
SkyDrop said:
This kind of ripped of MWS similar they start but so many plot armour and convinience and weird way to teleport in the very first episode bothered me and the colorful tone as well. I wonder if we will get satisfying answer to the absurd mysteries so far. Also the main female lead is too annoying already :\ I hope it will get dark and lessen the comedic elements because it really doesnt suit well given how tense the situation they are.

I also hope it doesnt end up like they have been tested lol.

Weird way to teleport?
Ever heard of wormhole?
Jul 4, 2019 9:19 PM
Jul 2018
Ventus_S said:

Weird way to teleport?
Ever heard of wormhole?

I have heard but didn't knew how it worked. Okay seems like gotta do some research before next episode pops in.
Jul 4, 2019 9:20 PM

Oct 2017
UDONDOG said:
The anime has been changed improperly.

Tbh the anime give a much better sense of character dynamic and relationship building.
Jul 4, 2019 9:23 PM

Oct 2017
Mythologically said:
Mobius said:
Horrible. Generic call out attacks, magical girl circles for anti gravity, horrible comedy, and bad pacing. Dropped it first 10 minutes.

i dropped the show during the character introduction part and then wrote a dogshit review that barely qualifies as English because I love annoying the review mods and being a pest 😎

"bad pacing" literally before the show even started. nice.

Thank god you're not the writer.
Gotta toss in more isekai with mc die in first minute and reincarnatedd and become op asap right?
Or maybe a fucking monster showed up in first 10 mins of the show and kill the whole family of mc?
Or some cheap ass betrayal in first 20 mins with 0 characterization and buildup?

Idk man, your definition of bad pacing makes 0 sense.
Jul 4, 2019 10:00 PM

Apr 2016
Am I missing something? I mean, it's good, but god damn you guys are overreacting saying it's a 10/10 already lmao.

I'd give it a solid 7/10 and it definitely has potential, and the plot itself is already unique enough.
Jul 4, 2019 10:09 PM

Dec 2016
Ventus_S said:

Thank god you're not the writer.
Gotta toss in more isekai with mc die in first minute and reincarnatedd and become op asap right?
Or maybe a fucking monster showed up in first 10 mins of the show and kill the whole family of mc?
Or some cheap ass betrayal in first 20 mins with 0 characterization and buildup?

Idk man, your definition of bad pacing makes 0 sense.

How cute

Do you use the same butthurt copy pasta everytime you disagree with someone?

"Thank god you're not the author"

And then you go with bullshit and lack of foundation sentence "Tbh the anime give a much better sense of character dynamic and relationship building."

It was some forced bullshit that wasn't even in the manga for a good reason "pacing". Rather than hamfisting a relationship that should have been built up gradually over the course of several episodes.

But you feel so high and mighty putting words on someone else talking about pacing with 20 min betrayals and monsters killing a whole family in 10 minutes.

Look up for the word irony and see if it doesn't have a picture of you in the dictionary.
Jul 4, 2019 10:35 PM
Mar 2019
anyone else get weird "no man sky" flashbacks lolz
Jul 4, 2019 10:44 PM
Feb 2019
Great first episode.

Interesting premise, good plot movement, good direction work and high technical standards. I was sold just with the opening scene, it gave me huge Gravity vibes and I loved that, the feeling of loneliness, claustrophobia and despair was outstandingly done; and then we get a character introduction, it wasn't bad, but definitely killed the momentum, I've saw that the characters are hit or miss for most of people, and for me they were a hit, I liked them, what else can I say? The first part was a bit slow but I hadn't much problem with that.
Then they travel and the second part begins, it was much more better, as everyone I'm hoping the sphere to being explained, but it's just the first episode, so judging it by that is unfair, the first scene in the space was pretty good, it really transmits the sense of confusion and shock with this strange event, and from here it did better and better; aboutthe rope thing, although it's a plot hole, the scene was very well done, so I can forgive that mistake, furthermore, it isn't that big, with 3 shots and some lines it would be fixed, but anyway, I liked that moment; and althugh it seemed a bit obvious, the plan for returning home is a good strategy, I hope the series exploit this to bring to game some interesting twists and put the characters in more suspenseful situations.

This was a really good start and I hope things to get better from here; characterization, worldbuilding, themes, decelopment, plot twists... the potential from this series is huge, thus, if well done, we could be seeing the born of a modern classic (I shouldn't make my expectations that high but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯).

One thing about the discution that picked my attention was if it was going to be a full adaptation or not, taking in account that it may be an one cour series; knowing that there are almost 50 chapters, the only way I can see it being faithfully adapted is if all the episodes are, more or less, 45 minutes long, like this first episode, if that isn't the case, they would have to cut some things for doing it in just one cour.
mafd12Jul 4, 2019 10:57 PM
Jul 4, 2019 11:17 PM

May 2018
caio_brb said:

Yes, there was time. That's how it originally was in the manga

No, there wasn't time in the anime.
Are you complaining about it not being fateful to the source or about the lack of logic? Because the problem here starts in the manga (I never read it tho, just judging from the page here) - Kanata not recoiling back when the rope ends. That would be complicate the situation really bad.

caio_brb said:
the anime changed that part for no reason. lol And the change isn't even good because it's a stupid one.

Yes, there is a reason - demonstrating how in space sometimes you must make split second decisions and a microscopic mistake can make you miss your goal by a literal mile.
But I is was badly executed.

I guess for better result both media could change the scene (for example someone finding an extra can of propellant in the spaceship and the guys figuring out how to send it to the stranded Kanata and Aries) to be dangerous and realistic but in the same time resolvable by teamwork.
alshuJul 4, 2019 11:24 PM
Jul 4, 2019 11:32 PM
Jun 2017
the story is interesting so im going to watch this one. 8 students + 1 kid who have different personalities are group to go and have some good times in McPa (planet) but instead they have been transported to another planet... and well this is where the team work will be tested.i love how kanata is leading the team so far...

and also i like how this 1st episode is a 40+ mins, as it gives us insight of the whole characters and on how the story will be...
Jul 5, 2019 1:42 AM

Dec 2014
I like the story, but the characters are kinda annoying especially the pink haired girl. I hope they get better
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 5, 2019 2:08 AM

Dec 2018
That was an enjoyable episode. I hope they'll maintain the quality until the finale. Appearance-wise, 3 of the characters remind me of that of Monogatari Series; a tan Shinobu, an edgy Araragi, and a shy Hanekawa.
Jul 5, 2019 4:43 AM
Jan 2019
seems interesting anime

any one know how many episode this is?
Jul 5, 2019 5:05 AM

Jun 2014
so we got all the generic charachters present. And then comes plot stupid and flash backs, and all forget the most anoing of em all the airhead girl, even thou she shoud be the most easy to remember of their group since they more conserned about their luggage.
Meeh show, with teenage drama allready writen over it, with those characters, and meeh writing.
Jul 5, 2019 6:07 AM

Aug 2018
Anoo-Domini said:
seems interesting anime

any one know how many episode this is?

12. 1 cour. Although I guess it's "13" if you count the double-length first episode as two...
Set SCE to AUX
Jul 5, 2019 6:14 AM
Mar 2019
That was a good episode. Seems like we have a basic setup of 5 arcs on 5 different planets with maybe 1 or 2episodes between on the ship. Also, are the pair's in the ED ships? Because I know absolutely nothing about either of them, but I totally ship emo boy and purple hair.
Jul 5, 2019 6:56 AM
Jul 2018
To be honest, I CAN'T WAIT FOR THE NEXT EPISODE!!
I wonder what awaits them on those planets. Have a safe trip guys!
Jul 5, 2019 8:34 AM

Aug 2018
Rewatched the first episode last night and it actually improves on a 2nd viewing (and I liked it the 1st time). The technical aspects of the show are really polished and the pacing is fantastic with just the right amount of humor injected to simultaneously lighten the mood, establish character dynamics AND emphasize the moments of peril by contrast. And the music is great.
Set SCE to AUX
Jul 5, 2019 11:30 AM

Aug 2013
I wasn't expecting it to be about 50 minutes long! But I enjoyed it! The comedy comments were hit or miss for me though, but still - really excited to see how this story will develop!
Jul 5, 2019 11:52 AM
Jun 2016
It was a really good first episode but unfortunately I already got the ending spoiled. I will definitely keep watching tho 🤔
Jul 5, 2019 2:29 PM

Oct 2012
Wait, Luca is a man? o_O Curse those traps!
Jul 5, 2019 2:32 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I love the premise. Reminds me of an old anime classic "They Were 11". And we have far, far too few space based shows left now that younger generation have absolutely no curiosity about outer space anymore. The production values are solid too.

Alas, alas, the characters are sooo generic that it makes worry about this having a solid story potential. It feels like they wanted to check every box in the cliché book.

Loli-check
Genki girl- check
Big boobs shy girl- check
Hawt and haughty girl-check
Genius oni san- check
Dark and moody boy-check
and so on and so on
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jul 5, 2019 4:00 PM

Aug 2018
Farabeuf said:
Alas, alas, the characters are sooo generic that it makes worry about this having a solid story potential. It feels like they wanted to check every box in the cliché book.

That might be intentional. Survival situations tend to make people drop their facades and we might see the "generic-ness" fall away as they have to band together to survive, subverting our expectations based on their appearance.
Set SCE to AUX
Jul 5, 2019 4:11 PM

Jun 2016
I like it, very interesting! ^_^
Jul 5, 2019 5:03 PM

Aug 2018
after reading the synopsis i thought this was going to be an edgy survival horror, i'm glad i was wrong. It's light, fun and well done.
Very good start imo.
I think I don't know wtf I'm doing. Maybe. Probably.

Jul 5, 2019 5:20 PM

Sep 2011
First half was painful to watch with that half-assed CGI, but the second half was fantastic. The double length did wonders for this one.
Jul 5, 2019 5:29 PM

Jul 2010
As someone who's read the entire manga, rest assured guys: It does start off cliche at first, but things get really, REALLY good when the second half rolls around, so don't toss up the first episodes just yet.
Jul 5, 2019 6:17 PM
Jul 2011
That thing that caught them reminds me of Ozma.
Jul 5, 2019 6:47 PM
Apr 2018
this pink girl is fucking annoying tbh idk if i can survive for 3 episode . gkad it's not only me who feel the same
Jul 5, 2019 7:03 PM

Sep 2012
Mattinator95 said:
Efu said:
Yeah sure make a human rope instead of re using the wire you found earlier 200 iq genius right there because muh power of friendship.

Pretty meh first impression characters are bland and generic, but i'll keep watching the manga is pretty well received so i'll see how the story develops.

Also not sure what those switches in aspect ratio was about i don't feel like it added somthing if thats what they were going for.

@pmso
@shiro_kai

more like a studio fuck up they used the wire in the manga

That explains a lot. I found it so fucking dumb that the wire was completely ignored.
Jul 5, 2019 8:24 PM

Jul 2016
So far, I like the concept and I'm loving the OST but the comedy is just terrible. I guess its use is to avoid some scenes from getting too tense or dramatic but I really don't like it.
I also wasn't expecting Aries to have this "dumb"/airhead kind of attitude but well, I guess it can't be helped since all the characters seem to have pretty generic personalities. Not that I'm complaining about it tho... I just was expecting something more "mature" based on the synopsis.

Overall, it was a pretty promising start and I'm really interest in following this series weekly and see how the dynamic between the characters will work. I only hope I can get used to its kind of humor sooner rather than later.
Jul 5, 2019 9:03 PM

Sep 2015
It's a little overdramatic, but this has the potential to be AOTS. The music is probably the thing I enjoyed the most in this episode.

Funicia is best girl so far. I wonder if that will change once we start to learn more about the others.

Efu said:
Also not sure what those switches in aspect ratio was about i don't feel like it added somthing if thats what they were going for.
It looks like they were for flashback scenes. My mistake, they weren't just for flashback scenes.

Speculation: Yun Hua's suit is by Hyperion, like Aries', so is it going to critically fail later on as well?
bucket3432Jul 6, 2019 6:39 AM
Jul 5, 2019 11:50 PM

Sep 2008
I hate how the characters are just the most generic selection of character archetypes with their typical personality characteristics taken to an annoying extreme.

Also the comedy is awful and constantly kills the mood.

That said, it's still an interesting premise and the execution of the more dramatic parts is pretty good so I'll keep watching.
Jul 6, 2019 5:55 AM

Oct 2017
I thought that it would be kinda boring ep (2 in 1) but it was really enjoyment.
Jul 6, 2019 6:41 AM

May 2012
1st half was little slow and boring, but it was necessarily to introduce the characters

2nd half is much better.
Jul 6, 2019 10:19 AM

Mar 2009
shanimebib said:
Welp. I am gonna add a screencap of my favourite girl in the story in each episode thread.

OMG! She looks even more beautiful in the anime.

This is so much better than the manga. They added a bit more suspense. And the feel of despair is captured better.

I think I am gonna love the adaptation. Stopped reading the manga after volume 3 because I wanted to experience this in animated form! Hope I can keep myself from reading though.

And I hope those who didn't like the first episode just drop it here and now. Then we will have to read less annoying comments. :P

Yeah. She's gorgeous. I hope she becomes a little warmer and friendlier, though.

Nice to have another Space-focused anime. After all these years, I still sorely miss Space Brothers. Cruel that it left off on such an abrupt ending and was never given another season.
Jul 6, 2019 10:31 AM

Nov 2007
Mormegil said:
shanimebib said:
Welp. I am gonna add a screencap of my favourite girl in the story in each episode thread.

OMG! She looks even more beautiful in the anime.

This is so much better than the manga. They added a bit more suspense. And the feel of despair is captured better.

I think I am gonna love the adaptation. Stopped reading the manga after volume 3 because I wanted to experience this in animated form! Hope I can keep myself from reading though.

And I hope those who didn't like the first episode just drop it here and now. Then we will have to read less annoying comments. :P

Yeah. She's gorgeous. I hope she becomes a little warmer and friendlier, though.

Nice to have another Space-focused anime. After all these years, I still sorely miss Space Brothers. Cruel that it left off on such an abrupt ending and was never given another season.

She already showed a lot of change of heart in the first episode alone. Enter 738 other tsun characters who would take 19 more episodes to show anything close to what Rafaeli showed in the first episode alone. Give her time. She is gonna become fans' favourite. You can put your money on that.

As for Uchuu Kyodai, it went for LA route so I doubt we will ever see an anime. But then we got Chihayafuru so we can remain hopeful!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
Jul 6, 2019 12:21 PM

Oct 2008
It's trash as far as writing, characterization, originality and a consistent tone go but it's so stupid and different enough with it's premise that it might be worth sitting through just to see the trainwreck. At first I kinda hated it, I mean the pink girl is close to insufferable but she does grow on you a bit. Each character is as stereotypical as they come. Tsundere, Airhead, Serious Smart Nerd, Loner Loser Girl, Edgy Loner kid, Optimistic and Outgoing Protagonist. I mean they're as cliche as they come. But seeing them lost in space is a fun twist with some potential.

Imaging a man falling to his death and being able to be in the state of mind to give calm life advice and cheesy one liners, it's beyond stupid. But that's the whole show, it's full of stupidity, just a matter whether you can stomach it and get something out of it. It's essentially Mayoiga levels of bad, it's not the studios fault I'd imagine this is a problem from the core in the manga. But hey if you love cliche characters, melodrama out the ass and stupid tonally inconsistent dialogue set in a generic space setting you'll love this.

I'll stick around for a couple episodes just to see how dark this becomes or if it's just a cheesefest the entire show and every hurdle is overcome with ease and without any character development.
PANDEMlCJul 6, 2019 12:26 PM
Jul 6, 2019 4:46 PM

Apr 2019
PANDEMlC said:
It's trash as far as writing, characterization, originality and a consistent tone go but it's so stupid and different enough with it's premise that it might be worth sitting through just to see the trainwreck. At first I kinda hated it, I mean the pink girl is close to insufferable but she does grow on you a bit. Each character is as stereotypical as they come. Tsundere, Airhead, Serious Smart Nerd, Loner Loser Girl, Edgy Loner kid, Optimistic and Outgoing Protagonist. I mean they're as cliche as they come. But seeing them lost in space is a fun twist with some potential.

Imaging a man falling to his death and being able to be in the state of mind to give calm life advice and cheesy one liners, it's beyond stupid. But that's the whole show, it's full of stupidity, just a matter whether you can stomach it and get something out of it. It's essentially Mayoiga levels of bad, it's not the studios fault I'd imagine this is a problem from the core in the manga. But hey if you love cliche characters, melodrama out the ass and stupid tonally inconsistent dialogue set in a generic space setting you'll love this.

I'll stick around for a couple episodes just to see how dark this becomes or if it's just a cheesefest the entire show and every hurdle is overcome with ease and without any character development.

if you don't enjoy the characters now, just drop the show now
You son of a .. turtle

Jul 6, 2019 6:07 PM
Jan 2018
Im not interested at firs because Kanata look like plain MC... But it turn out waaayyy better that i imagined...
Jul 6, 2019 8:59 PM

Jul 2019
Space exploration anime? Seems fun. I like the art style a lot. I'm usually not a huge fan of the space-ship type stuff, but it seems this will be more about visiting interesting planets. Huge Gravity vibes during the second half of the episode, clearly heavily influenced this anime / manga. Pink haired ポンコツ character is cute.
Jul 6, 2019 9:14 PM

Aug 2013

The way they did it in the anime is actually more realistic. Without some sort of mass attached to the end of the wire it would immediately start drifting away, likely in some very weird and unpredicatable direction. This would be due to any latent tension in the way the wire was wound or stretched. Also, in the vastness of space it would just be really really hard to even see the wire well enough to know were to aim yourself. It was a much safer bet to aim for the ship, because at least you know where it is!
Jul 6, 2019 10:56 PM

Oct 2008
Nim0174 said:
PANDEMlC said:

if you don't enjoy the characters now, just drop the show now

Oh don't worry, I probably will.
Jul 7, 2019 12:51 AM

Apr 2015
Finished the watch and wasn't pleased. The first episode consisted of overlong exposition which was 'tell don't show', was largely dull, unimaginative and had no style. The repetitive flashbacks, tired dialogue, and pointless comedy were all very worrying. Small logical holes are irrelevant but flow and enjoyability is. It's even lacking in the visual department, movement is weak, colours tacky and dated, art style plain.

Only thing keeping me reasonably optimistic is the promise of a well rounded and finished storyline from manga readers but it should be much better adapted than this.
Jul 7, 2019 3:20 AM

Mar 2018
At first before Episode 1 aired, I was in doubt if I would like this anime but damn, did this change with the first episode (50min also a pro).
Got me interested and feels kind of fresh... Sound is nice and sure they forgot about the rope but ehh...
The Character Design & Lerche is also a big bonus for me.

☆  PlayStation: KoitoTV
☆  Discord: Koito
☆  Twitch Koito
☆  @Koito91
Jul 7, 2019 5:47 AM

Mar 2010
I'm pretty meh with characters so far(Reminds me of the zero-two anime). The plot is okay but I wonder how they will make it interesting.
Jul 7, 2019 6:14 AM

Sep 2007
Sasuga the director of Gakkougurashi, Scum's Wish and Hakumei and Mikochi. He really is someone to keep an eye an, this was a good first episode that nailed atmosphere.
Jul 7, 2019 10:48 AM

Jul 2019
I already like this anime. It's pretty motivating. The team is nice but I wasn't expecting so many comedy scenes and some moments were dumb but at least I admit it made me laugh.
Life is a despicable endurance race
Pages (8) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Aug 28, 2019

202 by DebiPS »»
Yesterday, 7:58 PM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

347 by naturalbrawler »»
Mar 20, 8:24 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

304 by Sakagami_Tomoyo »»
Mar 3, 5:10 PM

» how this is not more popular.

Sayms - Jan 15, 2022

21 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 10:45 AM

Poll: » Kanata no Astra Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 17, 2019

168 by asalkur »»
Jan 2, 5:40 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.