Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (4) « 1 2 [3] 4 »
Aug 24, 2018 8:25 AM

Jun 2016
As for the latest episode, Okabe's motivation came back to use the time leap machine again. Okabe using the time leap macgine means Suzuha and Mayuri really did get killed. Is Okabe gonna have an infinite loop of going to the past again and again?
And if Mayuri successfully convinced the past Okabe to find the Steins;Gate it's possible that he can save both Mayuri and Kurisu this time.
I am not a friend of justice. I am an enemy of evil.

STAPLE STABLE
Aug 24, 2018 1:07 PM

Jan 2014
This show has so many plot holes. How is this scored high?

Three things cannot be long hidden..
...the s u n, the m oo n, and the tr u th.

Aug 24, 2018 2:37 PM
Nov 2016
Zelev said:
This show has so many plot holes. How is this scored high?

Because of fanboys. This anime is only riding on the shoulder of the successful Steins;Gate, if this anime had a different name it would have a much lower score.
Aug 24, 2018 7:49 PM

Oct 2008
Try ; Fail ; Repeat ; Try ; Fail ; Repeat
Is this Edge of Tomorrow!?!?
5/5.

Aug 25, 2018 12:14 AM

Apr 2008
sanlei said:

Overall a lot of anime onlies seem to like the pointless loop despite knowing convergence is in place for the time machine and it managed to feel like original S;G for the more nostalgic crowd, so its fine they didnt spend more ressources on this pointless scene.

Still, they made this loop better and more entertaining than the boring episodes earlier that I suppose were there to develop characters, but I cannot say I have gained any deep psychological insight about them in those past episodes, especially for characters like ‘I am another anime girl with a sad backstory, number 32617834962378956912378534789, please feel sorry for me’ Kagari or ‘let’s repeat the same damn comment about Maho liking Okabe again that is not funny and delivers absolutely nothing’ Leskinen.

Maho is the best of the new characters, because she has a connection to Kirisu, so it is one of the rare examples of a show where a girl has more to her than a relationship with the main guy. But frankly speaking, having fairly well developed relationships to two people is not super deep characterization either.

I understand however, how compared with other shows that don’t bother even to do this much the show looks deep and psychological to some people.

If anyone asks me, the creators may have done a much better job with Okabe’s development while keeping the journey through world-lines that many fans seem to like intact. Just make Okabe initially switch world-lines against his own will like in episode 8, because Russians are experimenting with the time machine and make Okabe gain a new perspective on the situation and his feelings during this journey. If well executed, it would be at least much more interesting than staying in one world-line and seeing Okabe moping around for the majority of the series.
Lain666Aug 25, 2018 12:18 AM
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Aug 25, 2018 12:44 AM

Apr 2018
I just can't understand how Okabe come through all this soliders.
Aug 25, 2018 12:44 AM
Nov 2016
Lain666 said:
sanlei said:

Overall a lot of anime onlies seem to like the pointless loop despite knowing convergence is in place for the time machine and it managed to feel like original S;G for the more nostalgic crowd, so its fine they didnt spend more ressources on this pointless scene.

Still, they made this loop better and more entertaining than the boring episodes earlier that I suppose were there to develop characters, but I cannot say I have gained any deep psychological insight about them in those past episodes, especially for characters like ‘I am another anime girl with a sad backstory, number 32617834962378956912378534789, please feel sorry for me’ Kagari or ‘let’s repeat the same damn comment about Maho liking Okabe again that is not funny and delivers absolutely nothing’ Leskinen.

Maho is the best of the new characters, because she has a connection to Kirisu, so it is one of the rare examples of a show where a girl has more to her than a relationship with the main guy. But frankly speaking, having fairly well developed relationships to two people is not super deep characterization either.

I understand however, how compared with other shows that don’t bother even to do this much the show looks deep and psychological to some people.

If anyone asks me, the creators may have done a much better job with Okabe’s development while keeping the journey through world-lines that many fans seem to like intact. Just make Okabe initially switch world-lines against his own will like in episode 8, because Russians are experimenting with the time machine and make Okabe gain a new perspective on the situation and his feelings during this journey. If well executed, it would be at least much more interesting than staying in one world-line and seeing Okabe moping around for the majority of the series.

This!!!, I totally agree with your comment, one of the best comment in this thread regarding the failures of this anime so far.

Another thing that irks me is that Amadeus role has been so insignificant in these 19 episodes that you could remove Amadeus entirely and this anime will remain the same. This anime is obviously not about time travel like the OG was, this is about Artificial Intelligence and in this aspect this anime failed hard because in these 19 episodes Amadeus was absent for most of the show.

So I'm going to obviously blame the new director (who did a poor job in the majority of the episodes) and the source material which apparently wasn't that good to begin with either.
Aug 25, 2018 6:10 AM

Jan 2012
Lain666 said:
sanlei said:

Nah, they had much better stuff to use for as an transition into the next scene but decided against it, as everyone seems to rather want the timeloop aspect back.
I dont see how a loop with 1 liners "Professor Reyes?!" "Kagari?!" "Fire!" and repeated aspects is great.
Its literally half the episode spending time on a summary what happened in 18 even to the point of Okabe wondering if its due to convergence despite Leskinen making it clear in 18.

Anime Onlies just dont wanna bother with the story and see Okabe in a loop like original S;G. Its that simple.

xZabuzax said:
Lain666 said:

This!!!, I totally agree with your comment, one of the best comment in this thread regarding the failures of this anime so far.

Another thing that irks me is that Amadeus role has been so insignificant in these 19 episodes that you could remove Amadeus entirely and this anime will remain the same. This anime is obviously not about time travel like the OG was, this is about Artificial Intelligence and in this aspect this anime failed hard because in these 19 episodes Amadeus was absent for most of the show.

So I'm going to obviously blame the new director (who did a poor job in the majority of the episodes) and the source material which apparently wasn't that good to begin with either.

Amadeus isnt even direct part of 1 of the 2 mainroutes in 0. The worldline shift in episode 8 originally would cause in a worldline with the Amadeus project on hold, the anime omitted this part as this new worldline would conflict with it as they mix both mainroutes to form a linear story in a new worldline to complement 0.

So how is this about Artificial Intelligence without an Artificial Intelligence created in the first place?
Amadeus isnt just used for the AI aspect, but rather the Brain Science aspect. And guess what the next episode will be about? Brain Science.

- ability to dump data from humans to make virutal copies of human data (Maho & Kurisu)
- ability to read data from humans (Kurisu's memories about time travel)
- ability to understand how the brain works (Fubuki)
- ability to use data from humans to create AIs (Amadeus System aka Amadeus [Kurisu] and Amadeus [Maho] used as examples)
- ability to write data into humans (Kagari)
- ability to transfer data across time via humans without relying on Reading Steiner (Leskinen)
- ability to manipulate the brain to break human limits (Kagari)

and one very important aspect i cant mention as it would be spoiler for next episode which will be again partly about Brain Science. Which is why you also see an brain in the 2nd opening of 0.

And guess what the time-leap does? It transfers data across time, shocking right that one of the major themes of original S;G uses Brain Science to make time-leaps possible.

And guess what makes Okabe special? Right his Reading Steiner which is part of his brain being immune to the rewriting of wordlines. Which leads again to the aspect of Brain Science.

But all that is still used to rather dive deeper into the themes of original S;G, instead of creating an entirely story about this aspect like original S;G did about timetravel. So i cant say that 0 is about Brain Science either just cause its an integral part as it still deals with other timetravel aspects like paradoxes and breaking convergences or what happens with failed timetraveling. As its still the story about creating S;G, while exploring the beta wordline and how the characters deal with it.
sanleiAug 25, 2018 6:18 AM
Aug 25, 2018 6:40 AM

Apr 2008
sanlei said:
Lain666 said:

Nah, they had much better stuff to use for as an transition into the next scene but decided against it, as everyone seems to rather want the timeloop aspect back.
I dont see how a loop with 1 liners "Professor Reyes?!" "Kagari?!" "Fire!" and repeated aspects is great.
Its literally half the episode spending time on a summary what happened in 18 even to the point of Okabe wondering if its due to convergence despite Leskinen making it clear in 18.

I have never said that this episode is ideal and perfect. I only said that compared with the majority of episodes that came before it was better and more entertaining.
"The moment one sits down to think, one becomes all nose, or all forehead, or something horrid. Look at the successful men in any of the learned professions. How perfectly hideous they are! Except, of course, in the Church. But then in the Church they don't think. A bishop keeps on saying at the age of eighty what he was told to say when he was a boy of eighteen, and as a natural consequence he always looks absolutely delightful."
Aug 25, 2018 6:44 AM
Apr 2016
I really don't get where they are going now... I get they wanted to go with linear route, but they changed so much that they have hit on a wall. I really don't know why they wanted to change the VN SO much. I was waiting for THAT scene to happen... and BAM second time time machine getting rekt. Now it seems they are going for
which sure can make sense one way or another, but come on...
Aug 25, 2018 6:56 AM
Apr 2016
sanlei said:

But it's not. The time machine getting destroyed is not a convergence point. Whether the time machine gets destroyed or not doesn't affect Beta WLs absolute convergence point (WW3 happening). At least not in the VN and in a logical aspect. Though the later can be skipped without reasoning, just like how Mayuri's death is apparently a reason SERN manages to create a time machine.
Aug 25, 2018 7:10 AM

Jan 2012
xAnimus said:
I really don't get where they are going now... I get they wanted to go with linear route, but they changed so much that they have hit on a wall. I really don't know why they wanted to change the VN SO much. I was waiting for THAT scene to happen... and BAM second time time machine getting rekt. Now it seems they are going for
which sure can make sense one way or another, but come on...

Dont forget that this isnt just about the VN but also Arclight and connecting to the true ending of 0.
Its already confirmed that 20 will be PR.

It was always the case they are going to make it like that when they shifted from PR to V&A in 9. I expected from 13 to reach PR in 20, and it happened. It makes perfectly sense even if you apply the VN structure, as you can read V&A before PR, while having to skip-through V&A again to reach the true ending.

The only real difference is how they do it, which is rather disappointing as GS would be much better way to connect both instead of this anime original homage to episode 13 of the original. But i guess they wanted to keep the AD aspect to it, while apealing more to the original S;G crowd and rather explain things within PR in 20. And it can be a rather interesting way to explain

aside the pointless loop within 19.

xAnimus said:
sanlei said:

But it's not. The time machine getting destroyed is not a convergence point. Whether the time machine gets destroyed or not doesn't affect Beta WLs absolute convergence point (WW3 happening). At least not in the VN and in a logical aspect. Though the later can be skipped without reasoning, just like how Mayuri's death is apparently a reason SERN manages to create a time machine.

Im talking about the Anime version. Otherwise you are correct, but doesnt change how the anime still showed an pointless loop, which wasnt in the VN, just to explain a small detail (Reyes) and lead to the crack.
sanleiAug 25, 2018 7:18 AM
Aug 25, 2018 11:59 AM

Jan 2012
Also the look kinda surprised me. Think its the best part of this episode. Its the first time we've seen soldiers with camouflage in the TV version, while we had the censored toysoldiers in the episodes before. Something that was also fixed in episode 4 bluray. Also first time i've felt they got the atmosphere of the situation right (at least in the first half, 2nd still needs lots of improvement).

Mod Edit: Removed quote of spoiler

Edit: Thanks for removing the spoiler.
sanleiAug 25, 2018 12:54 PM
Aug 25, 2018 4:43 PM
Jul 2013
Now, This was a GOOD epsiode!
After the last one, I'm so happy! :)
Aug 25, 2018 7:04 PM

May 2014
I haven't played either of the VNs so I don't know what happens or what's supposed to happen nor do I know if they are adapting 0 good or not compared to the people who have played said source material, but I will say that this was a fire ass episode definitely a much needed episode too it really does feel like the Steins;Gate I know and love from watching the first anime.

Also yeah those action scenes in the last couple episodes were laughably bad animation wise I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought so LOL
Aug 25, 2018 10:39 PM

Apr 2018
god damn that was good

here we go again
Aug 26, 2018 7:08 AM

Mar 2014
uuuuuuh, so how did okabe escape from the americans the second time round???