Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jul 2, 2019 11:43 AM

Jun 2011
By the day, you can't escape anime bashing even in the most normal of situations. Even mentioning you like it makes you a prime target for bullying. I don't know if this is just typical ironic memery at work, but anime and otaku culture still doesn't seem truly accepted imo. Is it because the people who like anime are so in your face that everyone else is just counter reacting negatively (Spamming meme phrases like "Notice me Senpai" "Nani the Fuck" etc)? Will it never get out of its cultural buttmonkey situation?
AhegyaoJul 2, 2019 11:51 AM
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Jul 2, 2019 11:44 AM

Jan 2009
no its just the vocal minority that hates anime, popularity comes with more haters thats it
Jul 2, 2019 11:51 AM

Oct 2014
That's not an anime thing. It exists in all mediums of storytelling. Judging by how much anime you've watched i'd say it might be because you probably experience so much anime you don't notice it as much in other mediums. It's par for the course of normality that it's worth criticism.

By the metrics of how many people are watching anime it's only increasing, hating the medium outright being the rule is objectively wrong. You can even dismiss most of them as pure ignorance.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jul 2, 2019 1:23 PM

Nov 2014
I haven't encountered this attitude recently enough to consider it a thing, but i must admit sometimes i found the classic YouTube comment were some assholes call anime fans "weebs" for crimes like disliking Death Note's live action remake made by Netflix.
Jul 2, 2019 1:29 PM

May 2019
I feel a lot of things that are popular have a huge base of people that just generally don't like it and instantly judge people that do. Anime especially I feel like has a huge base of people that just instantly judge anime without even seeing a single anime. I'm not sure if it's as bad in other countries, but here in the USA, growing up and going through High School, I knew a lot of the people that spoke up about their interest in anime and always ended up getting teased/bullied for it, but then when I went to college A LOT more people generally liked anime and it was more accepted. So, maybe it just really all depends on where you are, but from my experience, yes, a lot of people don't like anime and judge people that do.
Jul 2, 2019 1:33 PM
May 2019
Anime is becoming more mainstream by the day.
I haven't came across that that type of behavior in the long time.
Aside from few online trolls anime is generally pretty accepted this days, even celebrities like Elon Musk, Quentin Tarantino, Ariana Grande and many other are fans of the anime.
Jul 2, 2019 2:00 PM

Dec 2016
"Become normal"? It's always been normal to hate anime. If you're talking about trends, I actually think that anime is becoming less hated than it used to be.

What's the difference?
Jul 2, 2019 2:09 PM

Feb 2019
Nope. More than 10 years ago maybe that would be the case, but nowadays it's becoming normal to like anime (thinking a little better, maybe it will vary depending on where you live).
cross3773Jul 2, 2019 2:14 PM
Jul 2, 2019 2:21 PM

May 2009
Ahegyao said:
By the day, you can't escape anime bashing even in the most normal of situations. Even mentioning you like it makes you a prime target for bullying. I don't know if this is just typical ironic memery at work, but anime and otaku culture still doesn't seem truly accepted imo. Is it because the people who like anime are so in your face that everyone else is just counter reacting negatively (Spamming meme phrases like "Notice me Senpai" "Nani the Fuck" etc)? Will it never get out of its cultural buttmonkey situation?
It probably depends on your specific social circle, but...

Based on my experiences, most people I've run into don't exactly care whether you're into anime or not; it's just a fandom hobby like anything else -- not much different from being into a sports team or a western live-action TV show.

As long as you don't shoehorn it into conversation where it doesn't make sense, no one particularly objects to it.

It's not so fully "mainstream" to the point where you can say to a random coworker "so, did y'all watch the latest Game of Thrones episode?" or "so, did y'all watch the big game last night?", so you can't use it that way. But if you just want to go shopping at the mall wearing an Attack on Titan t-shirt or something, no one's gonna bother you.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jul 2, 2019 2:43 PM

Mar 2016
Ahegyao said:
Is it because the people who like anime are so in your face that everyone else is just counter reacting negatively (Spamming meme phrases like "Notice me Senpai" "Nani the Fuck" etc)? Will it never get out of its cultural buttmonkey situation?

I don't think the retards spamming those phrases actually like or watch anime. (I've never even seen the second one) Stay away from youtube comments and you'll be spared that kind of cancer.
syncrogazerJul 2, 2019 2:54 PM
Jul 2, 2019 2:48 PM
Jul 2018
You have such a sig and no one bullied you (yet)
What more proof do you need?
Jul 2, 2019 8:17 PM
Jul 2018
the weird thing is the only place where i actually see people hating on anime is this website lmao

there are people who basically just made an account to bring it up 24/7

out in the wild i dont really see anime being hated, a lot of normies watch it these days too
Jul 2, 2019 8:41 PM

May 2012
Nah, I have seen an increase of people who likes anime, most people (even me lol) mocks of other people who likes anime but it's just for fun not because we really hate it
Jul 2, 2019 9:50 PM

Feb 2016
People don't say shit to the guy with a gun on his waist but senpai on his back
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jul 2, 2019 9:56 PM

Nov 2016
People in the famdom (Weebs basically) are harsher on Anime nowadays than before but that's because most of them have already watched tons of Anime. If we are talking about MAL on other Anime sites than yeah it has become more common to see unpopular opinions about Anime.

If you are talking about people hating you IRL for liking animem, then no. Mostly for my generation since most people grew up watching it without knowing what it is.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2019 4:19 PM

May 2016
no, anime is mainstream as hell. everyone loves anime

which I'm not too happy about, actually...
Jul 4, 2019 4:25 PM
Sep 2017
Hating anime is a thing of the past. Before, people will look down at you if you are into anime but not today. If you hear some anime hate (not a specific series) today, it's either people who still sees anime as a "for kids" only show or the mainstream haters.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 4, 2019 4:27 PM
Sep 2017
AANickFan said:

sure but if anime will not get mainstream, less reason for the anime industry to pursue making high quality anime for the consumers and less accessibility in countries outside Japan.
Jul 4, 2019 4:33 PM

Sep 2014
Dont hate the sin, hate the sinners

The weebs must be hated
Smoke Weed Everyday
Jul 4, 2019 5:38 PM

May 2016
genetanned said:
AANickFan said:

sure but if anime will not get mainstream, less reason for the anime industry to pursue making high quality anime for the consumers and less accessibility in countries outside Japan.

I'm not so optimistic about more anime. I've found four or five or so anime which I like, and I doubt that I will find any more which I like. I don't know, maybe I am just close minded.
Jul 4, 2019 7:17 PM

Oct 2017
I hope so.

High barrier to entry. A maintaining of a relatively small and tight-knit community (LOL I know but it's still better than a lot of others). Retaining the subcultural identity of otaku culture which ensures richness of experimentation and diversity of stories within otaku media.

I want the average person outside of Japan to stay away from anime and otaku culture. I want Netflix and Prime Video and many others to give up on anime.

The only thing I ask from the west is a change of attitude to where people don't try and police the cultures of other countries. I don't think this is likely to happen though. Mark my words, when the olympics come to Japan in 2020 and the Akihabara basements start turning up on news programs / SJW news websites, it will signal the start of the decline as Japan will be morally shamed by the entire world.

Nevermind that the crime rate in Japan is ridiculously low and they are a high trust, tolerant society which doesn't get involved in what people enjoy in entertainment as long as they don't hurt others. Some drawings make some people feel uncomfortable so they need to be banned. 2020 olympics, it's coming. I hope I'm wrong though.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jul 4, 2019 7:29 PM

Feb 2019
People often have a negative impression of Anime Because of the fanservice present in a large fraction of popular shows.

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

Jul 5, 2019 12:11 PM

Aug 2018
I think nothing is changing, there will always be haters around like in other countless things.
Jul 5, 2019 12:18 PM

Jun 2011
Finalbeta said:
I think nothing is changing, there will always be haters around like in other countless things.

Compared to sports and live action netflix series/movies, no one will look at you like you committed a crime if you say you hate anime though. That's the difference.
I wish Cowboy Bebop never existed.
Jul 5, 2019 12:54 PM
Sep 2017
AANickFan said:
genetanned said:

I'm not so optimistic about more anime. I've found four or five or so anime which I like, and I doubt that I will find any more which I like. I don't know, maybe I am just close minded.

shit anime is normal. same thing for other mediums like movies and tv series. As long as someone sees an opportunity to make money, they'll take it. That's why we have shitty generic animes every season. "Competition breeds excellence" but not all the time. There are just lucky bastards who got a hold of good titles like Toei with One piece.
Jul 5, 2019 1:30 PM
fanservice<3

Mar 2012
every "nerd" or "geek" medium goes through this and always has

if you're not into mainstream activities like sports, going to the club, or getting fucked up, you're a loser

however when it comes to anime, its OTHER ANIME FANS that hate anime.. not non anime watchers.. non anime watchers don't know enough to give a shit

its mostly the ones desperate to prove how badass they are by watching anime that is considered socially acceptable that "bully" others
Jul 5, 2019 1:34 PM

Jul 2014
Ahegyao said:

change your sig and I'll answer honestly
Jul 5, 2019 1:56 PM

Aug 2018
Only my friends know that I watch anime and I never have been made fun off.

But I have to say, I understand why people make fun of anime, the community seems like a joke most of the times and even I don't like it that much.
Jul 5, 2019 1:58 PM

Sep 2014
It has always been 'normal', sadly. I mean, it's obviously better than it used to be just few years ago, but some people will always attack you if they know you're an anime fan. Dare to go and defend your hobby? Boy, you're in for some 'fun' and even harder mocking.

Just gotta ignore these shitters. Maybe, one day, it will become as widely accepted (at least among the youth) as computer games. Maybe it won't. I don't care frankly. Pretentious as it may sound, people judging others by their hobbies are below me, and fuck them.
Jul 5, 2019 2:17 PM
Mar 2018
These days a lot of people will watch one or two series or films that are anime and actually enjoy it, but they don't really get into anime.

It's not so much that "normies" or whoever hates anime as a medium, they hate the community for some reason (I'd say it's one of the communities that have matured the most) not ragging on others but people hate the "bronies" and furrys too, it's not exclusive to the anime community.

I don't ask why the anime community gets hate, it's bound to, but I would ask why it seems to be one of the three most hated communities, the other two I have mentioned
Jul 5, 2019 2:25 PM

Mar 2016
lol at the people who think anime is 'mainstream' because a few shows a year get talked about a lot. Netflix Evangelion 'fans' tried to paint the Studio Khara translator as a "Nazi pedophile" for liking Strike Witches (which Anno also likes btw). Even normalfag anime fans detest the anime subculture as a whole, so not sure why anyone thinks other normals would somehow be more accepting of it outside of very few safe examples.
Jul 5, 2019 2:34 PM

Dec 2012
syncrogazer said:
Netflix Evangelion 'fans' tried to paint the Studio Khara translator as a "Nazi pedophile" for liking Strike Witches (which Anno also likes btw).
Sieg Heil Mein Fraulein Barkhorn (who is 18 BTW!)

Edit: Sweet Reich, you weren't kidding
https://boundingintocomics.com/2019/07/01/dan-kanemitsu-translator-for-netflixs-dub-of-neon-genesis-evangelion-accused-of-pedophilia-and-supporting-nazism-due-to-work-on-strike-witches-doujin/
Jul 6, 2019 6:21 AM

Apr 2014
try saying "i love shakespeare" to a bunch of kids in grade 9 or 10
Jul 6, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2016
Hasn't that kind of thing always been normal? Like, not just for anime but for every form of art throughout human history. That's always been a thing
Jul 13, 2019 12:46 PM

Jan 2018
They hate that it's not them that you like to see, smell, hear or licking passionately.
Jul 14, 2019 12:20 PM

Jul 2015
I know some really weird people that hate anime, I means some strange people!
Jul 14, 2019 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
Some join the hate because of psychological pleasure or simply want a taste of acceptance/approval with the mass. I don't know how many like that out there but they seamlessly appear in anime related topics outside of the anime communities.

Other time depend the impression normies get anime is usually framed for sexual and cringe content for laughs. Is hardly defendable when debating with RL logic because the amount of fanservice publishers want, and other half is straight up to the community that likes waifus or chunibyo behavior that made anime community weird and easier to get laugh/bully at a very wide variation and effective insults.

Seen old man dress up as a school girl or maid pics? Yeah that contribute to the laugh/bullying, cuz those old man likes anime just as we too.
Jul 14, 2019 3:04 PM
Dec 2017
Not really. I actually think it's the other way around. Many celebrities have mentioned or referenced anime and some have even revealed that they like watching it. Nowadays, I think there's less hate toward anime and people who watch it.
Jul 18, 2019 8:09 AM
Nov 2018
More and more people have gradually started to watch anime. In the past it was considered a niche but now it has become much more mainstream.

However there is still that small amount of hate revolving around anime and its community.
Jul 18, 2019 8:20 AM
Spiral Warrior

Jan 2017
Yes, the obnoxiousness of anime fans is the main cause of hating it. It's a hobby that attracts socially inept people who don't realize how damn annoying their repetition of the same in-jokes and references are to people who don't get them or even people who get them but are just not, well, fucking stupid as shit.

Same as furries and whatnot.

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.
Jul 18, 2019 8:48 AM

Feb 2019
I don't think so. From my experience with my roommates they don't watching anime but when I watching it and saying I like it wasn't do any harm. Though sometimes when I talking with them will be embarrassing since we haven't any common topic.......

More topics from this board

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 4 hours ago

38 by Zettaiken »»
16 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

171 by sodaJar »»
37 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

122 by neolucaman »»
47 minutes ago

» Reason versus emotion in the perception of anime

RobertBobert - Apr 14

5 by TRC_Randy »»
1 hour ago

» What anime can be considered "the Evangelion of x"?

Eternal-Destiny - Dec 9, 2023

43 by AzafuseKingTora »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.