Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jul 3, 2019 6:51 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my goodness....this is quite something. We got muscles and exercising from the start with some nutrition facts. The OP theme song is pretty catchy imo.

The world of working out looks like a tough place as the way they showed this. Muscles everywhere. Akemi's reactions are comedy gold.

Stark700Jul 3, 2019 6:56 AM
Jul 3, 2019 7:03 AM

Apr 2012
Stark700 said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Oh my goodness....this is quite something. We got muscles and exercising from the start with some nutrition facts. The OP theme song is pretty catchy imo.

The world of working out looks like a tough place as the way they showed this. Muscles everywhere. Akemi's reactions are comedy gold.

Lol, the macho's anime version is quite more realistic compared to manga. I like.
Jul 3, 2019 7:40 AM

Apr 2010
honestly the manga of this one was brilliant so i was waiting for this and it was worth it.
I was waiting for Macho's signature move and Hibiki's reaction which was funny to watch.
The characters turned out nicely.
And the kept the showoff scenes.
Jul 3, 2019 7:41 AM

Nov 2016
Welcome to another round of anime is saved.

This is low-key like a dream of mine that has come true, even tho I was hoping for a proper anime about fitness/bodybuilding and not a meme-factory. But better than nothing I guess :D

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jul 3, 2019 8:02 AM

Oct 2015
"This program is sponsored by the Ministry of Health, Labor and Welfare"
Jul 3, 2019 8:04 AM

Apr 2016
I can already see that someone, somewhere is writing an article like "Toxic masculinity in anime is NOT ok".
Jul 3, 2019 8:09 AM

Apr 2012
Swagernator said:
I can already see that someone, somewhere is writing an article like "Toxic masculinity in anime is NOT ok".

Will you be surprised that the first joke about this anime that I saw on Twitter was “oh, this is definitely not a very body-positive show”?
Jul 3, 2019 8:12 AM

Apr 2016

Not surprised at all.
Jul 3, 2019 8:13 AM

Oct 2015
RobertBobert said:

Will you be surprised that the first joke about this anime that I saw on Twitter was “oh, this is definitely not a very body-positive show”?

Well, East Asia is not a very body-positive region.
Jul 3, 2019 8:16 AM

Apr 2012
Swagernator said:

Not surprised at all.

Vaylard said:
RobertBobert said:

Well, East Asia is not a very body-positive region.

I wonder what ANN will write about this show. Of course, they could "bribe" them with pretty girls, but this show has a clear heterosexual romance, which is very "problematic".
Jul 3, 2019 8:20 AM

Oct 2015
RobertBobert said:
but this show has a clear heterosexual romance, which is very "problematic".

What heterosexual romance?
That girl is just obsessed with muscles, not necessarily male.
Jul 3, 2019 8:23 AM

Sep 2018
I can see the femnazis getting their boxers in a twist about this because it's about an overweight girl getting fit.

The SJW nation would rather people die prematurely from fat related disease than someone hurt their feelings and tell them to shape up.

It sorted of reminded of Grand Blue with the ridiculous bodies but I liked the way they took the piss out of the gym rats, unfortunately the the losers who complain about it cannot see that.
Jul 3, 2019 8:23 AM

Oct 2017
Well this wasn't exactly how i expected it to be but this was a gd way to start this show. Looking forward to seeing some muscle girls.
MegamiRemJul 3, 2019 2:18 PM
Jul 3, 2019 8:25 AM

Mar 2018
Doga Kobo saved anime once again.

This was my most hyped anime of this season just because Doga Kobo was making this and boy did they deliver. The music, the voice acting, the superb animation… this show is gonna be amazing.
Jul 3, 2019 8:34 AM

Apr 2012
Vaylard said:
RobertBobert said:
but this show has a clear heterosexual romance, which is very "problematic".

What heterosexual romance?
That girl is just obsessed with muscles, not necessarily male.

In later chapters there will be an easy romantic subplot with one-sided love. But I'm not sure that the anime comes to this at all.
Jul 3, 2019 8:36 AM

Aug 2012
Thank god this didn't turn out to be a short educational Anime. The ending segments will keep me in shape, nice bulk!
Jul 3, 2019 8:38 AM

Aug 2008
This... was actually not bad. Humour, while predictable, more or less worked and it actually reminded me that I need to go back to some daily workouts. I definitely prefer sexy girls doing helling workouts over cure girls doing jackshit. I thought it might be another lazy fanserivce show but actually looks like a keeper.
Ii tenki desu ne...
Jul 3, 2019 8:40 AM
Sep 2018
I could not stop smiling. I love this
Jul 3, 2019 8:48 AM

Aug 2013
An anime about bodybuilding and staying fit. Akemi's reactions were funny.

Jul 3, 2019 8:51 AM

Dec 2018
I've been waiting for something like this since forever, when I first saw this been announced I was curious if this was going to be somewhat edutainment, and it is, and I love this already.

Hands up if you did ten squats with Hibiki as best macho Machio-san instructed.
Jul 3, 2019 8:52 AM
Sep 2015
Can this compete for best opening song of the season? I think it can. (and it remind me a lot of Cell at Work OP song where characters also sing the song themselves)
Nowadays when all fitness center are 100% business and 0% health, I think this anime might be a savior to the health club business.
Jul 3, 2019 8:56 AM
Jul 2016
op is really catchy
when i started reading this manga i didnt expect how useful it actually is for someone just starting with gym, really happy it got anime

Aug 2012
Shotttooo00_0000 said:

o/

I'm gonna do every workout they say every day until this Anime is over and see how fit i get lol.

Feb 2018
AOTS bois, anime is saved! Souryuin's faces were quite something and her heavy breathing too Sakura's calorie intake is high af damn. And that guy is ripped af for his face.

I legit did ten squats and hope to continue it

More of moaning while exercising to come lets gooo!
Jul 3, 2019 9:02 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Intriguing first episode!

Akemi’s reactions are seriously priceless and let the muscle hype begin! I could totally relate myself to Hibiki there, keeping up with such a chore is seriously demotivating as heck. Lol, good thing she found her Prince Charming to help with that. Lol @ that muscle revelation there though and so that’s a lot of muscles in the Op & ED! Voice Acting and the Sound Department really delivered too, Doga Koba with yet another dime!

I’m looking forward to more of this!

MrAwesome2018 said:

Lol, that was totally me! After credit scene workout, guess my Wednesday’s are going to be a lot more proactive for one thing.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 3, 2019 9:03 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Kmlshblr said:
And that guy is ripped af for his face.

Lol, that photoshop joke was gold!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 3, 2019 9:06 AM

Dec 2013
Saying this as a guy who've been bodybuilding for like ~2 years straight... this is amazing!

But... for Christ's sake, why HALF SQUATS?
Real men do only FULL SQUATS!

Oh wait. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 3, 2019 9:24 AM

Apr 2012
QPR said:
I can see the femnazis getting their boxers in a twist about this because it's about an overweight girl getting fit.

The SJW nation would rather people die prematurely from fat related disease than someone hurt their feelings and tell them to shape up.

It sorted of reminded of Grand Blue with the ridiculous bodies but I liked the way they took the piss out of the gym rats, unfortunately the the losers who complain about it cannot see that.

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/preview-guide/2019/summer/how-heavy-are-the-dumbbells-you-lift/.148462 Keep what you want. It's pretty funny that the woman found it quite problematic, while the main ANN's SJW seemed to be frankly enjoying the first episode.
Jul 3, 2019 9:30 AM
Nov 2018
I liked it, but those half reps on bench hurt muh soul.
Jul 3, 2019 9:36 AM
Sep 2017
hmm
something kinda rubbed me the wrong way when i started watching
>55,6KG
>160CM
>unhealthy????
uh no?
that's perfectly healthy for that age
it's just a show, i know, but that still bothereed me, dont think this show is for me anyways
hopefully young girls wont feel that their totally fine bodies are ugly or wrong

i mean seriously that would be a bmi of 21.9 which is in the 18-25 range
honestly thinking that is unhealthy is unhealthy imo.

like it would make more sense if she was overweight but she is objectively not
Jul 3, 2019 9:37 AM

Sep 2016
Well that was... informational? Its making me want to bench press as well lol
Jul 3, 2019 9:41 AM

Jul 2017
Doga Kobo's 3rd anime of the yearly individual season...and it's all about weights and bodybuilding! Reminds me of last year's Kamoi Tsubame from UzaMaid, only more crafty in its premise. TIME TO GET FIT!

Even endorsed by the Ministry of Health and Welfare, this is comedy gold and a statistic I can't ignore.

HELL O HELL, the gym is like Grand Blue, ONLY MORE man-lified.

Akemi's addiction to muscle fetish is truly the gold. And Hibiki...found her Prince Charming. IN A GYM. WAD...HAHA!?!

Machio's edutainment "video" really warrants more interest! And Machio, took me by surprise and what an absurd bodybuilder he is.

_MushiRock11_ said:
Kmlshblr said:
And that guy is ripped af for his face.

Lol, that photoshop joke was gold!

DAT JOKE. Never dies.

Plus, the Ecchi game here is super strong. No wonder everyone was hyped for this.

OP is great, plus MAH BOY's favorite Naofumi VA Kaito Ishikawa for the ED.

Summer's gonna heat up a HELLA LOT!

Shotttooo00_0000 said:

DAT's me too, and Wednesdays will be get-fit days!

NICE BULK! (Reference to Zombieland Saga, Kotarou, Mamoru Miyano's VA of "Nice Bird.")
KANLen09Jul 3, 2019 9:45 AM
Jul 3, 2019 9:42 AM

Dec 2013
abbe44 said:
hmm
>55,6KG
>160CM
>unhealthy????
uh no?
it's just a show, i know, but that still bothereed me, dont think this show is for me anyways
hopefully young girls wont feel that their totally fine bodies are ugly or wrong

Fam, it doesn't work like that. It's not about your weight per se.
It's about your %BF (Body Fat).

Gym guys tend to have high BMI but they look great.
Muscle are heavier than fat.

She looks thick because she eats junk food.

@papsoshea 'sup, my soul mate.
Jul 3, 2019 9:46 AM

Mar 2016
Looks like even the sensei is going to be working out. My body is ready.

At least the delusional yuri fans can drop this early and we can be spared their whining in the future.
Jul 3, 2019 9:48 AM
Apr 2019

Its just starting!
Jul 3, 2019 9:49 AM
Sep 2017
Kamiyan3991 said:
abbe44 said:
hmm
>55,6KG
>160CM
>unhealthy????
uh no?

she looked fine aswell tho, , 35% body fat is unrealistic anyways with those stats, and again she looked totally fine, her body type is perfectly healhy
this just feels like those bullying commercials where they make the bullied child pretty so she'll be more sympathetic and likable
Jul 3, 2019 10:00 AM

Jan 2018
this is a wild ride from beginning to end
Jul 3, 2019 10:02 AM
May 2019
Great first episode. This is exactly the kind of craziness I look for in anime. Let the memes begin.

Just one thing bothering me, tho... will they touch the subject of performance-enhancing drugs? You can't get a body like Machio's without steroids, no matter how much you work out, you will look good but not like this.
Jul 3, 2019 10:04 AM

Jul 2017
I actually quite liked this. The comedy was rather surprising and I appreciate the positive message it's giving. The characters are likable too, especially our main lead.
7.5 for the first episode (aka 8 in MAL ratings) for me.

About that ANN review though...
I don't think the show was trying to encourage women being in shape simply because they think men will find it more attractive. If anything, I think the show was lightly mocking it, in an indirect manner. Even then, does it really matter why someone wants to be in shape? Motivation is motivation.
Sorry, the user you are looking for is not available at the moment. You are currently reading text generated by APSAB or "Auto-Programmed-Signature-Mataining-Bot" (patent pending).

ERROR CODE 1979-NIPUL-W3EB
Please Install the Latest Version of MAL.OS as Some Features of Certain Signatures May Not Appear Correctly. You are currently running MAL.OS.V4. Click here to download MAL.OS.V5.

APSAB Version: Beta.99

"If Seinfeld isn't your favorite anime, then you aren't watching anime correctly."
- Me

Jul 3, 2019 10:04 AM
Feb 2017
abbe44 said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

she looked fine aswell tho, , 35% body fat is unrealistic anyways with those stats, and again she looked totally fine, her body type is perfectly healhy
this just feels like those bullying commercials where they make the bullied child pretty so she'll be more sympathetic and likable

If you watched, you could see that she had a bigger waist. Even the ending song depicts her waist as being thicker than everyone else's.
Jul 3, 2019 10:06 AM

Jan 2018
abbe44 said:
hmm
>55,6KG
>160CM
>unhealthy????
uh no?

the answer for this is cultural differences. In for example, america, the "healthy" form is buff, bulky for men, thicc for women. but for japan, the "healthy" form is skinny yet muscular type and for women very skinny, almost like a stick. you'll see most of this stuff through magazines and that's how being slightly chubby in japan can be called unhealthy for some reason.

for some reason, this anime goes for american ideals to the point of ripped muscles and bulky body lmao
Jul 3, 2019 10:06 AM
Feb 2017
This show is looking to be a lot of fun. I like the opening and ending, and Machio's muscle reveal was funny. Looking forward to more of this show.
Jul 3, 2019 10:10 AM

Jul 2011
Yup, were great start as thought from manga, tho anime feels much better as movements and such are seen fully.

Didn't made me feel to workout, instead felt hungry :P

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
Jul 3, 2019 10:20 AM
Sep 2017
KlinyKlinn said:
abbe44 said:
hmm
>55,6KG
>160CM
>unhealthy????
uh no?

the answer for this is cultural differences. In for example, america, the "healthy" form is buff, bulky for men, thicc for women. but for japan, the "healthy" form is skinny yet muscular type and for women very skinny, almost like a stick. you'll see most of this stuff through magazines and that's how being slightly chubby in japan can be called unhealthy for some reason.

for some reason, this anime goes for american ideals to the point of ripped muscles and bulky body lmao
yikes and i thought america had it bad, that sounds outright dangerous, god the eating disorders and malnutrition that must go on there
feels bad man
Jul 3, 2019 10:20 AM

Dec 2016
abbe44 said:
Kamiyan3991 said:

Asian has a lower range of healthy BMI. The typical established healthy range is only from 18.5 to 22.9. Some Asian countries even has lower limit of 17.5.
They are at higher risk of metabolic diseases than other races.
And the threshold for overweight body fat is only 31% BW.
vikki_asaJul 3, 2019 10:29 AM
Jul 3, 2019 10:22 AM
Jul 2016
KlinyKlinn said:
abbe44 said:
hmm
>55,6KG
>160CM
>unhealthy????
uh no?

no, what youre talking about is "fashion"/body image in different countries but what is healthy is same in every culture, country and japan goes for unhealthy slim (although korea has it beat when it comes to that)
Jul 3, 2019 10:36 AM

Dec 2016
remiska said:
KlinyKlinn said:

no, what youre talking about is "fashion"/body image in different countries but what is healthy is same in every culture, country and japan goes for unhealthy slim (although korea has it beat when it comes to that)

"healthy is the same"... If only. That would make curing patients much easier.
Jul 3, 2019 10:45 AM
Aug 2012
remiska said:
KlinyKlinn said:

Don't compare bf% for americans to us asians.. I mean I have a college classmate that looks like 10. She's less than 4'11 tall and less than 43kg weight.. It is considered normal and healthy.. On the other hand, most 16 year old that I see on european country looks like 30+ years old from our point of view.. Higher bodyfat percentage and tall.. Doesn't look like 16 to us at all.. That you call 'Thick' looks like fat to us.. Unless, you have a low bf%..
LeiHanmaJul 3, 2019 11:02 AM
Jul 3, 2019 10:55 AM

Feb 2016
I genuinely genuinely love this show. It's better and more creatively animated than 95 percent of ecchi, it has an incredibly catchy OP and ED, incredibly charismatic characters, and just pure charm in its presentation of actual workout advice. If the show keeps this up, I will give it a 9/10.
"There’s no point in the world. But isn’t that wonderful? Because if there isn’t one, then you can decide what it is for yourself."
~ Filicia Heideman, Sora no Woto

"Senpai...please grow up."
~ Fumi Manjoume, Aoi Hana

"I wonder what tomorrow will bring."
~ Yunocchi, Hidamari Sketch: Sae and Hiro's Graduation Arc

Jul 3, 2019 10:59 AM

Jan 2015
Yeah as expected it was a pretty good first episode
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jul 10, 2019

161 by Cyroro »»
Apr 12, 5:17 PM

Poll: » Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? Episode 11 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 11, 2019

45 by 5hadow17 »»
Apr 8, 8:53 AM

Poll: » Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Sep 18, 2019

132 by hanyuhi16 »»
Mar 23, 7:30 PM

Poll: » Did you guys do the exercises at the end of the episodes?

JaniSIr - Apr 17, 2023

29 by dezhavhu »»
Jan 1, 1:32 PM

Poll: » Dumbbell Nan Kilo Moteru? Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 4, 2019

52 by WELLERM »»
Dec 4, 2023 9:03 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.