Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 27, 2019 5:00 AM

Mar 2009
Weird how both this and Sarazanmai got happy endings. I expected them to have depressing endings, especially Dororo. It was depressing all the way through, pretty much.

Nice to see a grown-up Dororo. She looked very pretty.
Jun 27, 2019 10:01 AM

Aug 2015
I'm torn on the fate of Hyakimaru's moms and brother. Seeing Daigo have a change of heart at the last moment was unexpected.
Dororo grows up to be a beautiful young woman. I hope she and Hyakimaru meet again. I ship.
Jun 27, 2019 11:43 AM

Apr 2013
the ending could be better like with survival of his mother and brother and maybe making up with the family and fixing their land...
or just a bad ending where Hyakkimaru kills his bother and mother sees it and she runs away and dies accidentaly in flames building collapse something like those... or we could branch off with season 2 and have randomly demons/ghouls appear and hyakkimaru is saving the land and as tahomaru his younger brother and father sees it they want to make up and start over... something like that could happen to..
Jun 27, 2019 2:48 PM

Mar 2010
Kinda disappointed but oh well, the adventures of dororo and hyakkimaru i'll miss for sure

8/10 overall
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 27, 2019 4:36 PM

Aug 2014
Mal userbase really sucks
Jun 27, 2019 6:33 PM

Oct 2008
Magnificent Series!
Hyakkimaru finally got his body back at the cost of his Mother, younger Brother and Jukai!
Adult Dororo was fantastic to see!
5/5.
8/10.

Jun 27, 2019 7:26 PM
Jan 2016
Good finale, but honestly it could have been better, because it was kinda nonsense Hyakkimaru's mother, Tahomaru and teh doctor to die without trying to survive!

Hyakkimaru spared his father, to live as a human, and suffer for his mistakes, if he didn't pacted with demons it could have been better! And left in another journey withotu Dororo!

Dororo decided how to use her money to create their own country without samurais!

Dororo older was beautiful!
Jun 27, 2019 11:44 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This was a weird episode for some respect. I do not hate it, I do not dislike it. But I can't love it either. I'm at least glad the conclusion was somewhat a) fulfilling to both Dororo and Hyakkimaru's wishes, b) a somewhat wholesome but very bittersweet wrap up. It gave off strong vibes of a potential sequel which I hope happens in the near future.
I'm going to miss this show. Now, onwards to watching the original.
Jun 27, 2019 11:46 PM

Mar 2019
umpiral56788 said:
I wouldn't say he got 0 development , but the fact he didn't get a redemption arc means he didn't really need it cause the moral ambiguity of his character made him special, and a redemption arc would take away from that.

The reason i say he got no development is because, throughout the story, his character changed according to what the story needed him to be. as you can see in the beginning he cares for his brother but then in a single episode he changes completely, becoming hostile towards hyakkimaru. because the story needs a threatening villain to chase hyakkimaru around and cause him trouble, and in the end he becomes a stepping stone for hyakkimaru's salvation (being spared so that hyakki doesn't become a demon and then dying like 10 minutes later).
That is not the case for other characters like hyakki and dororo, as the story is shaped based on their development, unlike taho whose changes are according to the needs of the story.
Also sry for any grammatical mistakes, etc. English isn't my native language.
Jun 28, 2019 5:25 AM
Jun 2017
Toshan_was_here said:
So... any idea why they chose to call to this series "Dororo", and not something like "Hyakkimaru and Dororo"?

The episode title is just that. Also the original is called 'Dororo to Hyakkimaru' but it's a mouthful for some hence the shortening.

I knew the series was gonna be one of my favorites when it first gave me that profound Oboro Muramasa vibe and the protagonist looked straight out of Megaman Zero.

But the mature storytelling, complex moral dillemas, dark and immersive atmosphere, the sheer magnitude of character development for some of the most likable MCs all happening within the beautiful yet cruel muromachi japan made it my favorite anime of all time.

10/10 mighty thanks mappa

The insane amount of themes, details and mental collectibles as well as a satisfying and quite hopeful conclusion (oooh it's canon) make this series incredibly rewatchable. I can't wait for the Bluerays to see if they bump up the animation as a cherry on top.
PrarJun 28, 2019 5:28 AM
Jun 28, 2019 6:36 AM

Jul 2016
MonkeyDHunter said:
Not that content with that ending but it was an enjoyable ride nonetheless. 8/10

First half was great, second half felt like it lost heaps of momentum.
Jun 28, 2019 6:47 AM

Sep 2014
Vindicater said:
MonkeyDHunter said:
Not that content with that ending but it was an enjoyable ride nonetheless. 8/10

First half was great, second half felt like it lost heaps of momentum.

That is true. The episodes during the second cour were hit or miss tbh.
Jun 28, 2019 6:57 AM

Apr 2016
last few eps kinda just dragged on, there was no escalation, there was no ultimate demon awakening or any real stakes, He absolutely fucked up tahomaru before, and now that he doesn't have his two gay bros to fight with the outcome was obvious. By episode 20 the series completely exhausted its stay.

Still it was cool while it lasted.
Jun 28, 2019 7:16 AM

Oct 2009
Well, these last few episodes, hell this last arc felt very inconsistent and rushed.
This show started out quite strong, I don't know how the original story goes but honestly such a waste of potential.
Characters just pulling 180s all over the place, and events just happened without proper development. I don't know maybe the number of episodes got cut down during production, to me it feels like they ran out of time..

It was a pretty nice ride overall.
7/10
Jun 28, 2019 6:24 PM

Sep 2007
Damn...I need an OVA that has more grown up Dororo x Aged Hyakki. This ending makes the ending credits be such a tease (plus that beginning bit of the ending credits never did get 100% clear)

Also so glad that Tahomaru finally stopped fighting his bro (although the sudden "whoa, I'm not fighting him no more" seemed well....really sudden)
And WHY did they have to have both "oka-chans" die like that. Why in the world did that guy end up in the place in the first place is odd too.... =/ hmmm....
(My avatar is an original creation-please don't take it)
Jun 28, 2019 8:14 PM

Oct 2017
8/10

Atmosphere was fantastic when it worked which unfortunately wasn't all the time. Poor directing decisions too often detracted from the mood. Director needed to slow down and allow scenes to breath more. Lots of rushed transitions and shots which needed lingering on more. Felt rushed and the obvious mismanagement of the animation budget was apparent.

Sometimes the animation was excellent but then there would be segments where the director wanted to do something which might have worked with more budget, but... A low animation budget doesn't excuse bad direction. There must be enough communication between the creative staff and the animation team and it didn't appear like that was the case here.

Art was gorgeous at times and at least good most of the time. Creative color palettes such as in the flashback scenes and Hyakkimaru's "blindsight" were a treat.

Music wasn't used to very good effect. The subtle use of music in the more brooding, slower segments was OK but the use of music when it would have really helped in more emotive scenes was often flat.

Story, characters and voice acting were all very good, without ever reaching a top-tier level. Dororo stood out. Her character added a much needed youthful optimistic energy to an otherwise depressing world and story. Made for a great contrast, except when we learn backstory which in it's sadness almost reverses the contrast in hwo dark it was. Her backstory was one of the most emotive parts of the series for me.

The episodic content was hit or miss. Some are criticizing Dororo for not being serialized enough but I thought the episodic breaks from the main story were refreshing. It's just a shame some of the sidestories weren't as good as others.

Ending was a mixed bag. Overall I'm pretty neutral towards it, which is actually a big shame because it could have been so much better and may have taken it from an 8 to a 9.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 29, 2019 11:08 AM

May 2016
I got to see a cute Dororo so 10/10 for me.
Jun 29, 2019 11:46 AM

Sep 2014
Not a big fan of this forced parting. I thought we were over this by now.

After the first cour was very interesting and overall strong, this entire half was a huge letdown with only some upsides. 7/10
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 29, 2019 12:12 PM
Dec 2018
Anyone who got chills while dororo was running in the paddy fields?
i got... damn that was great ending
Jun 29, 2019 6:06 PM

Aug 2008
Good start and end for me, the main storyline was what I enjoyed but there were too many filler eps with contained stories I didn't care for. Show was good enough for a 7/10. Kimetsu no Yaiba has been more enjoyable as a demon slaying show for me though.
Jun 29, 2019 7:41 PM
Jul 2016
I miss Dororo 😭😭😭
Jun 30, 2019 12:46 AM
Jun 2019
8 of 10 for overall score...

im glad this ending pretty much like the older series (im has read the older premise on wikipedia), the last battle is not good actually, but the moment they soften the battle scene for suitable purpose are get the perfect way. Im actually okay with battle quality dropped down in the end, because im feel the writers want us more get better "knowledge" about Hyakkimaru pain and hole in his heart, for a long time, but when finnaly the hole is filled, even only for severals minute (when Hyakkimaru seeing his mother with her own eyes and calling Tahomaru as his brother), but in the end the hole where is filled now crumbled again but in the very end Hyakkimaru, filled the hole once again and for the best when he is not killing his father when in hall of hell.

The Reason Hyakkimaru have different way in the end because, he wanted to see the world like the monk says, the world he never experince once for all, and Dororo have to settle in there because she is girl, it kind of an ancient japanese culture where is woman spending their entire live in home and rarely coming out.

Jun 30, 2019 2:03 AM

Sep 2014
I'm also hovering in the 7/8 out of 10 for the show. I think overall it was pretty reasonably consistent, some minor ups and downs, but I was rarely bothered with a filler episode, like the one towards the end with the weird little ghoul making them talk weird. It was just a nice intermission between all the sadness the show brings.

Can't say I super loved the ending, with Tahomaru, the mother, and the man who raised Hyakkimaru dying, but both basically had their sins they were dealing with and after a final chance of redemption, they decided it was better for them to leave the world in peace. Not a favorite type of ending of mine, but it mostly made sense even if I wanted them to live and sort out their issues together.

Hope we get that story in a second season they tease at the end. I really want to see Dororo all grown up and living a hopefully better life to some degree, even if they talk about a far more troubling time falling upon them both.
Jun 30, 2019 5:24 AM

Apr 2015
A stunning show of remarkable depth and domitable scope. Nothing much to say 8/10

Would have to let out that the traditional watercolour backgrounds were consistently great.
Jun 30, 2019 7:10 AM

May 2015
I was trying to take the Hyakki vs Tahomaru fight seriously but I just couldn't I was to busy laughing at Tahomaru's MTV Crib's style tour lol.

It's also killing me that we'll never know what Hyakki was going to say to his brother! Damn that demon for interrupting!

He was probably going to call Tahomaru "okasan" hahah. T.T
Jun 30, 2019 8:46 AM

Aug 2011
Okay so I really like this anime but this ending was... bad.
There was no indication that Tahomaru had suffered a fatal wound so why did they let him die? Like what? Wouldn't you normally save the guy? I get Jukai was haunted by the demons of his past but dying like that so suddenly is... nonsensical. Same with Nui. Why not try saving her son instead of burning alongside him? Like what?

The ending was rushed and the explanation for the suicide was weird. Had it been that Tahomaru was missing his heart since his father fed it to the final demon (which felt like the implication given the red orb and his missing/dark heart) I would've understood he dying, and then Nui's suicide, which quite drastic, would've made more sense. As for Jukai I get he wanted to kill himself since forever but you'd think he'd first make sure Hyaki is fine instead of winging it.

The final episode I felt was bad for the Tahomaru/suicide scene but good on everything else. It was just drama for the sake of drama. Still, besides a meh middle and a weird ending the anime was quite enjoyable for the most part.
Jun 30, 2019 9:44 AM
Sep 2018
Wait what so the old man who was also blind his name was revealed at the end biwamaru was hakkimaru grandfather
Jun 30, 2019 6:30 PM
Jan 2019
I love this anime ❤️❤️👍

8/10
Jun 30, 2019 7:37 PM
May 2017
Very sweet ending. Hyakkimaru went on a journey to understand his humanity after all the killing and almost becoming a demon himself. But eventually he returned to Dororo, who was doing her part in saving the world lol. And Diago was left broken with the knowledge that the choices he made, by relying on demons instead of humans, cost him everything and saved no one.
Jul 1, 2019 12:51 PM

Jun 2015
The Sengoku era ends, and so does our journey. A bittersweet ending different from the manga and the old adaptation.
Jul 1, 2019 12:52 PM

Jun 2015
Twitchmarlex4 said:
Wait what so the old man who was also blind his name was revealed at the end biwamaru was hakkimaru grandfather
Maru is just a male name suffix used in historical fiction.
Jul 1, 2019 5:55 PM

Aug 2009
Last 4 episodes were an amazing ride, soo good, also grownup Dororo look soo beautiful.
Jul 1, 2019 9:17 PM
Nov 2015
NovaLord said:
Okay so I really like this anime but this ending was... bad.
There was no indication that Tahomaru had suffered a fatal wound so why did they let him die? Like what? Wouldn't you normally save the guy? I get Jukai was haunted by the demons of his past but dying like that so suddenly is... nonsensical. Same with Nui. Why not try saving her son instead of burning alongside him? Like what?

The ending was rushed and the explanation for the suicide was weird. Had it been that Tahomaru was missing his heart since his father fed it to the final demon (which felt like the implication given the red orb and his missing/dark heart) I would've understood he dying, and then Nui's suicide, which quite drastic, would've made more sense. As for Jukai I get he wanted to kill himself since forever but you'd think he'd first make sure Hyaki is fine instead of winging it.

The final episode I felt was bad for the Tahomaru/suicide scene but good on everything else. It was just drama for the sake of drama. Still, besides a meh middle and a weird ending the anime was quite enjoyable for the most part.
it wasn't drama for the sake of drama it made perfect sense, the wound he had may not have been,( which btw it probably was based on the area it hit). Nui couldn't save her so her second best option was to leave in peace. Their reason for giving up and letting themselves die made perfect sense and wasn't rushed at all.
Jul 2, 2019 3:17 AM
May 2015
It was great up until the end of the Mio arc.
Then the series became too predicable and boring. It was also filled with stupid writing.
Pretty mediocre series imo.
EL PSY CONGROO
Jul 2, 2019 2:07 PM

Apr 2014
I am hoping for some OVA or another episode seeing the future of both Dororororo and Hak. (I know anyways there is no hope for it) Anyways good anime. 7/10 for me.
Jul 2, 2019 9:15 PM

Oct 2017
I really gonna miss this anime, i don't know why but the end gives me the idea of an a continuation. I'll surely love if this become possible. And of course I will love to see the relationship between them. The end was perfect even though it was a bit unexpected I guess it was the best option and pacified for all the pain and violence during the development. A PLACER. I LOVE THIS ANIME❤
-¡Give yourself to me!
Jul 3, 2019 4:10 AM
Jun 2019
6Man said:
It was great up until the end of the Mio arc.
Then the series became too predicable and boring. It was also filled with stupid writing.
Pretty mediocre series imo.

are u serious man?? there is bunch of more interesting arc than Mio arc tho
Jul 3, 2019 12:30 PM

Dec 2018
What a waste of ending tbh
Jul 4, 2019 10:25 PM

Jan 2015
nice episode and beautiful ending to this great story, i'm sad that i'll never see Dororo and Hyakimmaru together again :'(

Be as free as you can be.
Jul 5, 2019 9:39 AM

Mar 2012
Well, at least he got his body back. Even with the bullshit of him supposedly becoming less human in the process.
Jul 5, 2019 4:40 PM

Oct 2016
I didn't like the ending.... why did they separate? they had no reason to... it felt forced "lets separate and grow up slowly and apart then meet again" So disappointing.... dropped my rating just cause of the that. I love the rest of the anime though it was great the battles with the demons were a bit lackluster though.
Jul 6, 2019 9:06 AM
Dec 2018
CrookedPanther said:
I didn't like the ending.... why did they separate? they had no reason to... it felt forced "lets separate and grow up slowly and apart then meet again" So disappointing.... dropped my rating just cause of the that. I love the rest of the anime though it was great the battles with the demons were a bit lackluster though.

well, that's how the original manga ended, even the original didn't give another shit than a description "they will met again 50 years later" lol
Jul 6, 2019 4:51 PM

Dec 2015
mixed feeling about this the end felt kinda half baked an okay reboot of a classic work i think...
Jul 6, 2019 5:44 PM

Oct 2016
MOMOpatisierre said:

well, that's how the original manga ended, even the original didn't give another shit than a description "they will met again 50 years later" lol

Yeah am not saying they changed it but maybe they should have xD Actually i mostly hate it when they change the ending from the manga and just make stuff up but i guess there's an exception to every rule!
Jul 6, 2019 11:59 PM

Jan 2012
Huzzah! Hyakkimaru got his body back! You know, I remember randomly watching a live action version of this story around a decade ago on tv, one of the movie channels, and I knew he did in that, but was worried this series might change it. I've never read the source manga so no idea what happens there, but I'm glad he did. It's what I wanted. I do think the end felt kinda weird. It had this "and the journey goes on" thing going on you usually only see for incomplete adaptations which obviously wasn't the case here. Oh well.

I was really loving this series early on. I do think it lost steam as it went on, with the absolute low point being the hideously animated second part to the moth demon arc. In retrospect the episode with the fake marriage felt tonally out of place as well. On the whole I'd still say it was a strong series though. There were definitely some emotional gut punches that worked along with some moral philosophy that didn't. For me at least. I'll give it a solid 8/10.
Jul 7, 2019 2:00 AM

Mar 2019
Incredibly unsatisfying ending.
Jul 7, 2019 10:00 PM

Feb 2014
Sincerely, I dislike these kind of empty endings.
Also, anticlimactic those 3 dying at the end.

The anime started to lost its shine getting to the last episodes.... still, I was ready to give an 8, but specially this last episode rocked my world... now I don't even know if I should give it a 7 or a 6.

It ended as if they weren't caring a bit about Dororo + Hyakimaru journey and relationship. As if it were all a lie.

damn

EDIT:
I checked out the manga ending and despite its similarities the manga ending is even more unsatisfying than the anime ending. LoL
TechOtakuJul 8, 2019 6:12 PM
Jul 7, 2019 11:07 PM

Oct 2018
argh!!! another unsatisfying anime...why??? why??? I rated this anime 9/10...but because of this it falls to 8/10...

Jul 9, 2019 11:55 AM
Apr 2013
The end is disapointing, I expect another season
Jul 10, 2019 4:54 AM

Nov 2012
Overall, a decent anime! I wish they would show maybe an epilogue instead of just how Dororo and Hyakkimaru looks when they're older :') But I can't really imagine that kind of ending either. Anyway, I enjoyed it - Not my fave anime ever but a decent watch.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is Dororo a boy or a girl ? ( 1 2 )

JanPri - Jan 15, 2019

80 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
8 hours ago

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
8 hours ago

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 17 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 6, 2019

143 by Chlatra »»
Mar 20, 7:38 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.