Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »
Feb 21, 2016 6:27 PM

Apr 2015
Rex_Ivan said:
appu1232 said:

You are remembering wrong actually. If you check back in episode 3, Daru cracked into SERN's database through his knowledge alone and saw the files about "human is dead - mismatch" and the jellyman reports. They aquire the IBN 5100 in episode 4 at which point they have only aquired it and did not use it. As of now, Okabe and the lab members have yet to use the IBN 5100 at all in any worldline. The IBN 5100's whereabouts changes with the sending of these D-mails but the lab members knew about the reports before the IBN 5100. The knowledge they have is not affected by its whereabouts because they never used it in the first place.

Hope that helps. Took me a little bit to remember why this wasn't a plot-hole but I'm glad you are invested enough to look this deep into it. Feel free to post other questions you might have later or once it's over because it just gets more confusing from now on.

Thank you for your fast reply. It helped quite a bit, but I'm still have a few problems.

I went back to look over those first few episodes. You're right. They *did* find the "human is dead - mismatch" message in episode 3, which is where they also learned about the LHC and SERN's time traveling. So in the new timeline (the one without the IBN 5100), Kurisu could have just read *those* reports to discover about the LHC and SERN. You're right about that.

However, there's something else. At the end of episode 3, they discovered the jellyman reports, but weren't able to open them. At the beginning of episode 4 Itaru tries to dive deeper but runs into the proprietary code blockade. That's when they hunt for the IBN 5100. Once they obtain the IBN 5100 it needs a few parts, but they finally get it working midway through episode 5. That is where they use it, and they open up the encoded SERN reports. That's the scene where Kurisu is standing over Itaru's shoulder reading the official reports, and it's the first time (in that timeline) where she realizes this is NOT just a conspiracy theory. After that they were actually able to open the jellyman reports, and we have that wonderful scene where everyone starts to understand how heavy this thing actually is.

So... the SERN and LHC/black hole thing isn't a plothole, but what about the jellyman report? The very reason they know that humans won't be able to go back is because of documents they couldn't open without the IBM 5100. I *suppose* we could just extrapolate that (in the new timeline in episode 9) Kurisu made the leap of logic that if you send a banana back in time and it turns to gel, then the "human is dead - mismatch" phrase would pretty much indicate the same thing would happen to the human body. Plus, the title "jellyman report" is more than a little telling. She would have gotten the gist of things even without the actual documented evidence.

I went back and watched these few episodes again, just to be sure. Now I'm wondering if I missed something else, or if the English translation was off, or did I misinterpret something?

Hmm, I am honestly not sure either now. I think you might be right that they just extrapolated that from the jellification of the bananas but now I am not sure. I posted the thread on the Steins;Gate subreddit so I'll see if I get any answers from there.
Feb 21, 2016 6:37 PM

Apr 2015
Rex_Ivan said:
I *suppose* we could just extrapolate that (in the new timeline in episode 9) Kurisu made the leap of logic that if you send a banana back in time and it turns to gel, then the "human is dead - mismatch" phrase would pretty much indicate the same thing would happen to the human body. Plus, the title "jellyman report" is more than a little telling. She would have gotten the gist of things even without the actual documented evidence.

I went back and watched these few episodes again, just to be sure. Now I'm wondering if I missed something else, or if the English translation was off, or did I misinterpret something?

Looking back at the subs, it seems like you are correct that she is basing this off of the gel-bananas and knowing that sending a banana back in time caused such an effect, the same would happen to a human. She also mentions some reports that she read on SERN's LCH operations and afterwards Okabe asks Daru about hacking into SERN with the IBN 5100 at which point Daru mentions he never started hacking since they don't have one. So, I think you are right in that it's just a bit lost in translation/knowledge misinterpretation in that we hear Kurisu talk aobut the jelly stuff and it seems like she knows more than we thought but really, she is just extrapolating it from previous knowledge.

So, I think it's safe to say Kurisu was being too vague to jump to the conclusion that she knew about the jellyman reports. Really great catch though.
Feb 21, 2016 10:00 PM

Feb 2016
appu1232 said:

Looking back at the subs, it seems like you are correct that she is basing this off of the gel-bananas and knowing that sending a banana back in time caused such an effect, the same would happen to a human. She also mentions some reports that she read on SERN's LCH operations and afterwards Okabe asks Daru about hacking into SERN with the IBN 5100 at which point Daru mentions he never started hacking since they don't have one. So, I think you are right in that it's just a bit lost in translation/knowledge misinterpretation in that we hear Kurisu talk aobut the jelly stuff and it seems like she knows more than we thought but really, she is just extrapolating it from previous knowledge.

So, I think it's safe to say Kurisu was being too vague to jump to the conclusion that she knew about the jellyman reports. Really great catch though.

Once again, thank you for the swift response. Thank you also for linking the reddit post. I didn't even think about posting on there.

According to the reddit posts, it seems like this is a mistake from adapting the novel to the anime. In the novel they didn't actually use the IBN 5100 for ANYTHING at this point, and it was just Itaru's hacking skills that opened the jellyman report. That's a bit underwhelming. You never want to admit that a really cool show has a plot hole.

However, it *does* answer my other question about why Okabe was so desperate to get the IBN 5100 back, after it went missing in the new timeline. I thought it had already served its purpose by cracking the proprietary code, and Okabe was freaking out because... well, I wasn't really sure why he was freaking out. I just kind of thought he was being him.

You know... purely for the purposes of my enjoyment of the anime, I'm just going to imagine that this isn't a plot hole, and that Kurisu was being vague with the "gel-Okabe" comment. Besides, the way she said it, with the sly grin, it would just make her seem like a sociopathic asshole if she actually *did* see what happened to the time traveling people. It would be like if she were walking through a WWII museum and cracking Holocaust jokes. I'm pretty sure that isn't in her character... I'm *pretty* sure...

Once again, thank you much.
Mar 12, 2016 3:57 PM

Jul 2015
im guessing faris' dad died or somthing and she prevented his death which caused akihabara to cease existing somehow. yeah, 10/10 on this episode though.
Mar 19, 2016 12:04 PM

Mar 2014
Faris and her nyans are extremely annoying.
May 24, 2016 7:01 PM

Jul 2015
So every episode someone new will find out about the d-mails and become a part of the team.

Faris girl's voice is extremely annoying.
Jun 5, 2016 2:50 PM
Mar 2016
Wait, what?

In the middle of the episode, where Okabe finds out the the 5100 is missing, right before that, he was having a discussion with Makise. She talks to Okabe about how e time machine must work, with a particle accelerator and whatnot, and that she wouldn't want Okabe becoming a jello man through time travel.
This all seems normal until Okabe realized that the 5100 was never used. In that case, how on earth did Makise know about the information they only managed to uncover with the 5100? Like, the failed trials with goo humans, the truth behind SERN's particle accelerator? Of course there's also the issue that Makise didn't agree to join the lab until she'd seen the proof of a time machine from the files on the 5100, but we can assume that in this worldliness an event happened where she joined for a different reason. The same could've happened with their experiments. They started after the 5100 had revealed the files, but again, something in this worldline could've found a way around this.
But the information that Makise has still makes no sense....
Other than that, every time the worldline's change, the differences get bigger, and I'm getting really scared for Okabe.. >.< I would be so sad if everyone else disappeared and no one remembered their friendship but him. I wonder if he knows this and just doesn't care or if he hasn't realized the risks yet...

Anyways, this stuff is getting really complicated, but I guess I like it this way:)

Edit: just read the comments and it looks like this was a plot hole... Ignore everything I guessXD
PalmTopTigressJun 5, 2016 2:53 PM
Jun 6, 2016 4:33 PM

Jun 2015
The end of the episode made my heart go doki doki and that beautiful ending song made it go even faster. I love this ending song. Good episode with a big turning point.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Jun 14, 2016 1:55 PM

Jan 2016
What was this akiba store thing? i don't remember, so much to think about with this anime..
Jun 29, 2016 3:20 PM

Apr 2015
I feel bad for Okabe after this ;_;
Jun 29, 2016 4:37 PM

Mar 2016
Arvanitis said:
I feel bad that you feel bad already)
Jun 30, 2016 2:35 AM

Apr 2015
HoTTab1CH said:
Arvanitis said:
Haha I can guess the situation will get worse :/
Jun 30, 2016 4:12 AM

Mar 2016
Arvanitis said:
HoTTab1CH said:
Haha I can guess the situation will get worse :/
Just keep posting your reactions, it's always interesting to see new people's reactions and thoughts :)
Jul 2, 2016 1:18 PM

Jul 2015
I finally starting to enjoy this serie. It took a while but this episode flew away.
Jul 16, 2016 9:06 AM

Aug 2015
I'm rewatching Steins;Gate right now and I'm at episode 17 but I just realized something because of all those talk about the IBM

To make this simpler
go to 6:36 (of episode 9 ofc) and 8:43(watch it for a bit, just a little bit

How did they even know of SERN's experiments? They didn't have the IBN 5100 and as a result, they shouldn't have been able to access those human jelly emails

Edit: It's a possibility that they were just simply able to connect the dots but that seems a little bit too far fetched if you ask me but that's what I'll tell myself for now. I fix "plot holes" that I find myself so that they won't bother me lol. I just wanna know what you guys think
KurosoraRyugaJul 16, 2016 9:20 AM
Jul 16, 2016 12:21 PM

Mar 2016
KurosoraRyuga said:
I'm rewatching Steins;Gate right now and I'm at episode 17 but I just realized something because of all those talk about the IBM

To make this simpler

How did they even know of SERN's experiments? They didn't have the IBN 5100 and as a result, they shouldn't have been able to access those human jelly emails

Edit: It's a possibility that they were just simply able to connect the dots but that seems a little bit too far fetched if you ask me but that's what I'll tell myself for now. I fix "plot holes" that I find myself so that they won't bother me lol. I just wanna know what you guys think

The Jellyman Reports and Z Project files weren't in the IBN 5100 database, they were on SERN servers. There was same question on reddit
Jul 16, 2016 8:44 PM

Aug 2015
HoTTab1CH said:
KurosoraRyuga said:

To make this simpler

The Jellyman Reports and Z Project files weren't in the IBN 5100 database, they were on SERN servers. There was same question on reddit

Oh, I thought that they needed the IBN to see those files because they were only able to see it after they got the IBN

They were indeed able to see Jellyman's report but that didn't include those JPEG files or the full reports. They managed to hack deeper into SERN after getting the IBN 5100 in episode 5, Daru shouted "Mission Complete II" and then they were able to see those emails

Based on the sequence of events, I concluded they need the IBN to access the exact details of the SERN experiment

Oh and didn't they need the IBN to access the majority of SERN's server bcos it's in some kind of programming that can only be read by an IBN 5100?
Jul 17, 2016 10:54 AM

Mar 2016
KurosoraRyuga said:
HoTTab1CH said:

Oh, I thought that they needed the IBN to see those files because they were only able to see it after they got the IBN

They were indeed able to see Jellyman's report but that didn't include those JPEG files or the full reports. They managed to hack deeper into SERN after getting the IBN 5100 in episode 5, Daru shouted "Mission Complete II" and then they were able to see those emails

Based on the sequence of events, I concluded they need the IBN to access the exact details of the SERN experiment

Oh and didn't they need the IBN to access the majority of SERN's server bcos it's in some kind of programming that can only be read by an IBN 5100?

It's a little bit different in anime than in VN.
So this isn't explained super well in the anime, but the Jellyman Reports and the Z Project Files were on SERN's normal servers. The purpose of obtaining the IBN 5100 was to decode the database that the Committee of 300 uses, though the only thing that's known to be there is the data that ECHELON records.
Jul 17, 2016 12:44 PM

Jul 2016
looks like even if i rewatch it so many times i still missed some minor points
thanks

i will do my best to explain
in the VN they do experiment to jellifying things like salt, bananas, karaages,etc
before they start to changing worldlines

from the experiment they conclude that the black hole created by the microwave is only big enough for salt grains to pass it since only salt grains which is not jellified

anything bigger than salt grains will turn into jelly
connected with Z program and "Human is dead - mismatch"

its no wonder kurisu can say Gel-Okarin
Jul 17, 2016 8:25 PM

Aug 2015
HoTTab1CH said:
KurosoraRyuga said:

It's a little bit different in anime than in VN.
So this isn't explained super well in the anime, but the Jellyman Reports and the Z Project Files were on SERN's normal servers. The purpose of obtaining the IBN 5100 was to decode the database that the Committee of 300 uses, though the only thing that's known to be there is the data that ECHELON records.

I've only played the prolouge of the VN lol
Jul 17, 2016 8:26 PM

Aug 2015
7th-Archangel said:
thanks

in the VN they do experiment to jellifying things like salt, bananas, karaages,etc

from the experiment they conclude that the black hole created by the microwave is only big enough for salt grains to pass it since only salt grains which is not jellified

I was talking about why they knew of the experiments of SERN
Jul 19, 2016 1:08 AM

Jul 2016
KurosoraRyuga said:
7th-Archangel said:
thanks

I was talking about why they knew of the experiments of SERN

because it simply on SERN normal server (no IBN 5100 needed)
Jul 23, 2016 1:27 PM

Jun 2016
Things are getting complex now!
Aug 28, 2016 9:37 AM

Nov 2015
That mindfuck. I love it! :)
Aug 29, 2016 4:55 PM
Jul 2016
Kurisu is adorable here. Oopas to the rescue!

Sep 21, 2016 9:39 AM
Jul 2018
ttutturuu...^^
they've sent a lot of d-mail & that changed the world many times & the problem is they didnt remember anything just okarin remember -.0
okarin must stop sendig d-mail

- & the metal uba
-& when kurisu killed
-& when the people disappear
-& why is (suzuha) look at kurisu in a trange way?
-why is(kiriyu-san) want IBN 5100
i think there is a link between them ^^
だから死
Oct 9, 2016 4:16 AM

Jan 2016
ohh shit they done fucked up!
Nov 6, 2016 11:08 PM

Aug 2016
Oh My!!!! the ending
That's it, im going to marathon this anime to the finish now.....
Jan 14, 2017 4:50 AM

May 2016
This was hell of an episode nyan nyan
Jan 14, 2017 11:16 AM

Jun 2013
I love the flow of this show. I especially enjoyed what they did with the credits at the end, it worked so perfectly.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Mar 8, 2017 5:22 PM

Nov 2016
Well, you've done it now.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Mar 9, 2017 6:43 PM
Jun 2013
the okabe and kurisu moment was pretty nice.so miss pink hair is the one who spreads the culture. How the heck does she do that and im guessing she wished it all away with her d-mail. nice they brought up the butterfly effect where even the smallest thing can change alot.
souledge94Mar 9, 2017 6:51 PM
Mar 20, 2017 1:47 PM

May 2013
I bet Faeyris is gonna undo all her moe :( idk why though... maybe she regrets too much cuteness? :3
Apr 25, 2017 8:45 PM

Nov 2015
What scary revelations this time!!!

Okabe's mad scientist-ism.. there you go..

In the prev ep we thought the changes were just as simple as:

There were actually more than that...:

World line shifts so far.. (no future spoilers)

Rewatching for the 4th time.
AX3MApr 25, 2017 8:54 PM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2017 5:12 PM

Nov 2015
[Rewatch - BD version]

Oh Okabe, look what you have done. The timeline has changed so much since you started. If you could only see the divergence you are at.

My favorite scene of this episode will always be Okabe arguing with Kurisu over the phone and him eventually acting with exaggerated respect just so she doesn't hung up on him xD
Jun 23, 2017 6:10 AM

Dec 2009
This anime is shifting really quickly into the drama, and I'm loving every second.

The butterfly effect is causing some serious ramifications to the present. The ending song seems like we have finally headed in a dangerous direction. Should not be marathoning but screw it, lets go!
Aug 31, 2017 12:54 PM

Mar 2016
KurosoraRyuga said:

To make this simpler

All I remember was only Okabe who mention SERN in those minutes
Jan 27, 2018 1:39 PM

Apr 2017
Yoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
Apr 3, 2018 6:41 AM
Jul 2017
This is literally one of the best endings I have seen to an episode. Nd it's not even the final or the pilot. The ep (which is one of my fav EPs) melded beautifully. I am a film-maker and this ending has very much influenced me a lot.
Aug 14, 2018 6:22 PM

Aug 2017
So, in this new timeline with a female Ruka, the timeline where Moeka didn't join never happened. Moeka is back. IBN 5100 was stolen. Feyris's D-mail changes some things again. It seems that she wants to be with her father.

What happened to Kurisu? She was crying.

IBN 5100 was never in the temple in this new timeline.

Akibahara is no longer a place of entertainment, just a normal town.

4/5

All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Dec 25, 2018 2:34 AM

Mar 2016
Daru has no rights to agree on the fact that looking at other people's emails are wrong since he himself hack to read other people's emails.

Okabe turned from a mad scientist to a humble, respectful man so that Kurisu won't hang up XD

No way! Akihabara became a place without the moe pop-cultures we all know and love?! Holy shit, imagine all the things that have changed because of this alone! They have changed many MAJOR things! More frighteningly, is the fact that Okabe may never be able to change things back to how they were... Okabe should really consider the fact that due to the butterfly effect, he might unknowingly change many major things just because of Felis' D-mail. What could be that content of that D-mail???
Mar 12, 2019 5:13 AM

Feb 2019
THE PEOPLE ARE LIKE ANTS FROM HERE! WHAT A SPLENDID VIEW! xD

he's going to need to send a message back to himself to not allow that neko to send a message back in time
Unusual_KmcMar 12, 2019 5:23 AM
I am not a weeb, I simply enjoy 2D girls
Jun 27, 2019 7:12 AM

Dec 2018
This FB gonna be someone important, I guess.

Moe culture is a cancer for Faris's dad.

One thing I don't understand though, shouldn't Faris's phone be attached to the Phone Microwave to make D-Mail work?

Waiting the day when the D-Mail caused the Phone Microwave to disappear.
Kish0Jun 27, 2019 7:41 AM
He who smiles in a crisis has found someone to blame.
Jun 29, 2019 7:23 AM

May 2016
Kish0 said:

One thing I don't understand though, shouldn't Faris's phone be attached to the Phone Microwave to make D-Mail work?

Pay attention on little details! Daru mentioned earlier that he did some upgrade to the phonewave and now they can send D-Mails to every phone, it doesn't have to be connected to phonewave now. The key that sender has to send the message to the phonewave, and the phonewave is thing which send the message to the past.
-
Jun 29, 2019 7:36 AM

Dec 2018
SheevPalpatine said:
Kish0 said:

Pay attention on little details! Daru mentioned earlier that he did some upgrade to the phonewave and now they can send D-Mails to every phone, it doesn't have to be connected to phonewave now. The key that sender has to send the message to the phonewave, and the phonewave is thing which send the message to the past.

Ok, so Daru upgraded it but how to designate the sender ?. I mean if every people at the same time send a message, would they send all those messages into the past? Before the upgrade, I knew that you need to attach the phone to the Phone Microwave.
Kish0Jun 29, 2019 7:41 AM
Jun 29, 2019 7:45 AM

May 2016
Kish0 said:
I mean if every people at the same time send a message, would they send all those messages into the past.

Why would every people at the same time send a message to the phonewave? How is that even possible?

The steps to send a D-Mail:

1. The sender writes the message on his/her phone.
2. Setting up the phonewave: receiver, time.
3. Starting the phonewave, waiting for the "sparkling"
4. The sender sends the message to the phonewave's phone number (yes, the phonewave have its own phone number)
5. The phonewave sends the message to the past with the Kerr black hole.

So I don't know how is that possible what you wrote.
-
Jun 29, 2019 8:13 AM

Dec 2018
SheevPalpatine said:
Kish0 said:
I mean if every people at the same time send a message, would they send all those messages into the past.

Why would every people at the same time send a message to the phonewave? How is that even possible?

4. The sender sends the message to the phonewave's phone number (yes, the phonewave have its own phone number)

Ok thx for the 4th statement it wasn't mentioned in the Anime. But if you send the message to the Phonewave's phone number, then how it's possible to send the message to the other person's phone ?
Jun 29, 2019 8:18 AM

May 2016
Kish0 said:
SheevPalpatine said:

Ok thx for the 4th statement it wasn't mentioned in the Anime. But if you send the message to the Phonewave's phone number, then how it's possible to send the message to the other person's phone ?

Firstly, it was mentioned in the anime.
Secondly, when you set up the phonewave, you set up the receiver's phone number. Setting up the phonewave means:
- setting up the time
- setting up the receiver's phone number

Everything was told in the anime btw.
-
Jun 29, 2019 8:21 AM

Dec 2018
SheevPalpatine said:
Kish0 said:

Secondly, when you set up the phonewave, you set up the receiver's phone number. Setting up the phonewave means:
- setting up the time

Ok, If you may, can you tell me at which episode it was explained? Or at which episode that Daru finished upgrading the Phone Microwave ?
Jun 29, 2019 8:49 AM

May 2016
Kish0 said:
SheevPalpatine said:

- setting up the time

Ok, If you may, can you tell me at which episode it was explained? Or at which episode that Daru finished upgrading the Phone Microwave ?

Episode 6 and Episode 7
-
Pages (9) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 22 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

LadyOrihime - Aug 30, 2011

804 by MrNobodyFN123 »»
Yesterday, 7:26 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Samu-tan - Apr 3, 2011

550 by Dyphz »»
Apr 17, 12:00 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

shanimebib - Sep 13, 2011

1825 by fentphantom »»
Apr 12, 12:02 AM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

zimno - May 17, 2011

309 by DmtTrean »»
Apr 9, 12:33 PM

Poll: » Steins;Gate Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Oosran - May 3, 2011

280 by Mahmoud636363 »»
Apr 9, 4:26 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.