Forum Settings
Forums
New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
Apr 21, 2019 7:46 AM
Jul 2018
Watching Blood the Last Vampire on TV and Spirited Away on cinema in early 2000.Wanted to watch Princess Mononoke too but all seats were sold to kids for 1 screening. I had also missed a screening of Cowboy Bebop the Movie, durung that time
Apr 21, 2019 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
My elder sister who watched Mirumo when I was around 5 introduced me to it and I was crazy for it until I forgot about it, years later I watched an amv and decided to become crazy again
Apr 21, 2019 8:54 AM
Dec 2015
for me its started when the tv stations here in PH started airing anime like the rerun of voltes V, flame of recca. slam dunk, doraemon, DBZ and code geass. i remember going home early just to watch these shows.
Apr 21, 2019 9:00 AM

Oct 2018
Kababi said:
jknightkt22 said:
I thought my roommate was a nerdy ass weeb until I watched attack on titan. A year later I'm almost at 60 days on mal.
How the fuck did you have the time to watch all that shit in a year? That's like half of what I watched in my life.

Lmao I broke my leg and was out for a while, plus there were many days at school when I was running on about 2 hours of sleep.
Apr 21, 2019 9:05 AM

Oct 2013
I blame Fullmetal Alchemist. A little bit of DBZ too, but mostly because of FMA.
Apr 21, 2019 3:21 PM
Jan 2012
GroovySensei said:
OnionKnightRises said:
I'm typical, I watch anime because I grew up on it. I watched Dragonball, Pokemon, Digimon, Yugioh, and other shows like it when I was a kid, not knowing it was a separate medium. I became aware of what it was in high school, and that's when I actively started watching it knowing what the medium was, starting with the original FMA, and Death Note

I think if it weren't for Toonami and Adult Swim, I would've completely missed seeing a bunch of anime. I used to get the shonen jump's every month as a kid, I didn't realize it was seprate medium either until I started seeing Death Note aired on Adult Swim after reading the manga years prior.

Yeah, Naruto was one of the last anime I had started watching before figuring out what anime was. Anime like FMA, Death Note, and Code Geass are what got me to actually seek out other shows in the medium, unlike before when I just watched Naruto and didn't really go out of my way to find other anime.

I never had Toonami as a kid, but I did get anime recommendations from a cousin who used to watch Toonami, which is how I know about Zoids
Apr 21, 2019 3:29 PM

May 2014
I was on Youtube in 2007 and somehow found clips of the first anime I would ever watch, which was called Starship Operators.
I could agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.
Apr 21, 2019 4:29 PM
May 2012
The first anime I ever saw was Sailor Moon. I was a young boy and the animation blew me away. Several years later I ended up watching Monster Rancher, Pokemon, and Card Captors. And then Yugioh after that. The first subbed anime I ever watched was Bleach.
Apr 21, 2019 5:53 PM

Jun 2016
Found Naruto on Netflix the original gateway drug. I think a lot of people started with good old Naruto.
Apr 21, 2019 8:56 PM

Apr 2017
Watched Pokemon and YuGiOh on Netflix since I was really into Pokemon at the time and my brother used to watch YuGiOh when he was younger. Stopped watching for a while and didn't really get into anime until my 11-year-old self decided it was a good idea to click on one of my youtube recommendations that have been appearing on my page for a while. It was a clip from Date a Live with big anime tiddies in the thumbnail (captivating, I know), and after watching a few more clips from the show I decided to watch it. Now 4 years have passed and I still laugh at the way I got myself into anime and how a pair of anime boobs changed literally everything.
MarkerheadApr 21, 2019 8:59 PM
Apr 22, 2019 10:46 AM
Aug 2017
I had a friend who was into Tokyo ghoul and wanted me to watch it. I still never watched it but starting out I watched angel beats and black butler
Apr 29, 2019 7:05 AM

Apr 2010
I know this sounds like the stupidest reason ever but... there was this anime forum I really liked the design of and I decided to watch a few shows to fit in. Since then I continued to watch anime and that forum no longer exists XD
Apr 29, 2019 9:42 AM

Dec 2018
A friend of mine introduced me to Sword Art Online. I gave it a shot and found it a fairly decent show. I decided to check out the medium as a whole and haven't looked back since.
Apr 30, 2019 5:11 PM
Nov 2018
Bright and fun. I remember my friend showed me an anime that I can't remember the name of. A girl magician who got angry when bad guys pointed out she had small breasts. "Fireball!" Then we watched the entire Read or Die together. Then I started watching Sainkoku Monogatari about a historical Chinese-style country. Then Oh My Goddess. It was fun to see something different. And yes, sexy too. Let's admit it! It doesn't have to be realistic sexiness, but it's fun and friendly sexiness.

Anime gave me a positive feeling, and you get away from Hollywood shows.

Another thing I like is that you have a story that goes on throughout all the episodes. Instead of Hollywood shows where you have one story per episode, so that viewers can jump in at any time. Of the two, anime seems way less plastic.

People say it's immature because it's cartoons, but at least it's not one new murder after another, all solved in thirty minutes, or a comedy where nothing ever changes between the characters.
Apr 30, 2019 5:18 PM

Jul 2016
One of my older sisters showed me Cardcaptor Sakura in 2000 or 2001.
May 5, 2019 9:26 PM

Jun 2007
JRPGs. Specifically, PS1 JRPG animated openings made anime hold far more appeal than those other cartoons the uncool kiddies watch. There were lots of 'em during that era, and a fair amount had very well animated sequences that played before the start menus; as if to compensate for the graphical limitations of the hardware. As well as anime stylised avatars alongside text, like in Grandia.

In the early 2000's I was playing the .hack games and learned there was a prequel anime: .hack//SIGN. After watching that, me and anime became a thing, and here we are today~ I think, before that, I watched Star Ocean EX: a shitty, low budget adaptation of Star Ocean 2. I try to erase that from memory and think of .hack as my first anime evar.

May 6, 2019 2:35 AM

Aug 2018
I think it was just chance that I start watching 'em
May 6, 2019 2:37 AM

Sep 2017
depression

it was a v hard time in my life and i binge watched everything on netflix (most popular shows) and when i ran out of things to keep me away from reality i saw the death note on there but the actual episodes werent on netflix so i ended up watching it on 480p on YouTube-

"those who aren't able to find a more miserable person than themselves turn to the internet and call others losers,even though they've never met"- Satou from nhk
May 6, 2019 2:45 AM
Jul 2018
I watched anime when I was a kid (Dragon Ball, Naruto, One Piece, Ninja Hattori, Doraemon, etc.), but never knew that those were animes. Then in late 2017, a friend recommended me SAO, he said that I would enjoy it, I watched it, and I did(or atleast the SAO part, I despise ALO with a burning passion) and that got me into anime
May 6, 2019 2:48 AM
Jul 2018
tookawaiii said:
depression

it was a v hard time in my life and i binge watched everything on netflix (most popular shows) and when i ran out of things to keep me away from reality i saw the death note on there but the actual episodes werent on netflix so i ended up watching it on 480p on YouTube-

The good old times when you don't know any website to watch animes on so you go on YouTube and watch the episodes in 480p, but you still enjoy it
May 6, 2019 3:00 AM
May 2019
I watched Erased one night after getting utterly bored of watching horrible Naruto filler. Anime wasn't part of my childhood and the only reason I watched it was for my friends. I finished Erased in one sitting I was utterly blown away by the premise which was unique and presentation. In hindsight it wasn't that great and it had it's fair amount of cliches but I didn't care. Erased made me realize that anime isn't just dudes fighting and cute girls doing cute stuff.
May 6, 2019 3:11 AM

Jan 2019
Dragon Ball Z ... It used to come on TV but they kept repeating the same arc again and again so I decided to pick it up. And now here I am.
May 6, 2019 6:48 AM

Nov 2018
I honestly just wanted to watch some hentai and the other stuff was good too
May 6, 2019 3:17 PM
May 2019
I resisted my son's efforts to watch until the day I caught a glimpse of Champloo. The art pulled me in and the story made me it's bitch. I think I still judge shows by how I felt that day. Our tastes differ a lot and I'm always glad when we agree. When I was watching Bleach we competed in name a sword and it's power. One Punch was spot the crotch. I don't watch every day. I'm picky. And I'm happy he shared the love.
May 6, 2019 3:49 PM
YouTuber / VA

Aug 2017
Toonami, just like countless other people my age lol.
May 6, 2019 4:37 PM

Feb 2010
Idk, I've always liked comics and animation and storytelling in general since I was a little kid. It was just natural that anime would be part of that. Can't really pin it down beyond that, from my earliest childhood cartoons on TV to my teenage years to my adult years and discovering MAL anime was always a part of my life to some degree, just like basically any other storytelling medium (Books, manga, comics, movies, TV Series etc...).

I guess I was just born a nerd.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 15, 2019 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
My friend gave me a copy of Hakomaria and told me it was “The best thing ever made!” So I read it, and I agreed with him for once! After that, I started reading manga, then I moved on to anime.(A bit boring I know...)
May 16, 2019 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
Battle Shounen and Kodomo stuff when I was a kid. But what really hooked me into this culture was none other than the magnificent Fullmetal Alchemist.
May 16, 2019 9:52 AM

Feb 2016
When I was a kid I watched nothing but battle shounen. The last one I watched was Bleach which left a horrible taste in my mouth. I quit for nearly ten years because I thought all anime had to offer was that genre(I also saw anime as cartoons). Then my youngest brother who is 8 years younger than me started his weeb phase. I am now 20 about to turn 21. So I ask my older cousin what I should start of with since I'm not gunna ask a 12 year old what anime I should watch.

He tells me about Sword Art Online and Tokyo Ghoul, I love horror but I've been a gamer all my life so SAO sounded perfect.
The idea of SAO was great. The incest creeped me out a bit and it's obviously fucked up. I am too though and I thought to myself "if there's stuff like this, there has to be way better stuff than SAO." So instead of watching Tokyo Ghoul next, I decide to search for something to watch on my own.

I come across Haganai(Harem, Slice of Life, Comedy, Romance, School) I then met one of my favorite characters, Rika. Her glasses and lab coat were super but then she busts out all the dirtiest and I fell in love.
So the next anime I decide to watch is Heaven's Lost Property. At this point I'm like I really love Oppai and Harems in anime. This is what I should have been watching all along. But not really since I was a preteen around the time I stopped watching. Fast forward 3 years from my 2nd start at anime. I have no honed my tastes in anime while dropping my love for harems because they are honestly all the same formula and they're trash content. Minus the ecchi.

I watched Suguha's love for her cousin fail(I ship Suguha/Kirito) and I watched two great(at the time) ecchi animes. These factors made me realize that there was more to anime than just battle shounen. I finally found a place where entertainment was as messed up as me. Here's it's more acceptable. That being said, 15 of my 19 favorites happen in a school environment and my taste has evolved immensely. I still love my ecchi and my taboo animes but I prefer a SoL, Rom, Com. If it has ecchi, that's just icing on top of the cake. I also never thought I would get into sports anime since I'm not a big sports guy, but I love Haikyuu!! and the Chihayafuru series.
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
May 16, 2019 9:58 AM
Nov 2016
I have been watching since very young. Naruto,One piece, Death note, Tokyo Ghoul and no game no life are one of the first anime i watched.
During a vacation, me and my brother watched attack on titan.
That was the one that got me hooked.
May 16, 2019 1:17 PM

Aug 2018
The sexy girls with their big soulful eyes and long legs, of course.
May 16, 2019 10:53 PM
Jan 2019
Parents lol. Used to binge one piece, inuyasha, naruto and hunter x hunter with them.
May 16, 2019 11:28 PM

Nov 2012
Blockbuster rentals, parents thought it was just another cartoon. They eventually caught on when they walked in on some Ghost in the Shell tiddies.... I got grounded for awhile lmao.
--Toshi--May 16, 2019 11:33 PM
May 16, 2019 11:36 PM

Aug 2017
A friend insisting I should give animes a chance.
May 16, 2019 11:38 PM

Oct 2017
A commercial for Kill la Kill on Toonami.
May 17, 2019 12:34 AM

Nov 2012
emailfraud said:
A commercial for Kill la Kill on Toonami.

Wow, you are pretty new to anime huh! That show is definitely a "thrown into the frying pan" first time type of anime lol.
May 17, 2019 1:44 AM
Sep 2018
My weeb friend forced me to watch Darling in the franxx after that i just start watching anime like crazy

May 17, 2019 1:52 AM

Jun 2016
Toonami/Adult Swim.

If you don't know what i'm talking about, fuck, you're young.
May 17, 2019 5:59 AM
May 2019
My mother used to tell me that when I was still a child I've been watching Alice in Wonderland. Till my Elementary days, I'm hooked up with watching Slam Dunk and Pokemon. And now, I'm still watching anime.
May 17, 2019 6:02 AM

Oct 2017
I'm pretty sure what properly made me enjoy anime was from music such as nightcore and vocaloids.
May 17, 2019 6:03 AM

Apr 2019
I spent my childhood watching Naruto and One Piece. When I got older, I kinda grew out of anime for a while, until i started to watch One Punch Man and Boku no Hero.
May 17, 2019 6:18 AM

May 2019
I randomly came across corpse party on youtube and finished it. I thought it was amazing (though, in hindsight it really wasn't). Then I watched death note and that sealed the deal for me.
May 17, 2019 1:44 PM
Jan 2015
Im just gonna have to say that.. it was Highschool DxD.
Jun 21, 2019 6:37 PM
Sep 2018
IpreferEcchi said:
One of my older sisters showed me Cardcaptor Sakura in 2000 or 2001.

Holy shit is that Ayane's High Kick?!?!?

Jun 21, 2019 7:58 PM

Dec 2018
I'll shamelessly say it's High School DxD and Attack on Titan, ahh good times.
. . .
Jun 22, 2019 10:23 AM

Jul 2016
GroovySensei said:
Holy shit is that Ayane's High Kick?!?!?

Yes, and how come it's not on your list?
Jun 22, 2019 10:26 AM

Jul 2016
I started with Death Note, which was good.
Jun 22, 2019 10:30 AM

Apr 2016
I grew up on Naruto. It was probably the only show I watched regularly on the local cartoon network and. Unfortunately, it was never aired in its entirety on TV, so around the same time, when I got internet access, I started watching it on the web. That's when I've found about anime and got my entire early adolescence ruined.
Jun 22, 2019 11:25 AM

Apr 2019
Terror in Resonance, Tokyo Ghoul and Aldnoah.zero are what got me into watching seasonal animes. But before that, I've only watched animes on TV and SAO.
Jun 22, 2019 11:27 AM
News Team
Demon Spawn

Apr 2017
It was literally just curiosity. I had seen so many Death Note references growing up so I gave in one day and decided to see what everyone was talking about. That was 4 years ago and I'm still here lol
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Are the characters or the plot more important for you in an anime?

Tannenbusch - Apr 12

49 by Spunkert »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » From what side of the neck do you enjoy being bitten by your vampire master?

Catalano - 10 hours ago

14 by Spunkert »»
8 minutes ago

» angry sub only users ( 1 2 )

Yorda_trico - Apr 15

93 by LostSpectre »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 5 hours ago

20 by AryaVai »»
12 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 4 hours ago

9 by W3TFT »»
18 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.