Forum Settings
Forums

Chaos unfolds as shooting at Raptors parade causes stampede

New
Jun 18, 2019 12:01 AM
Jan 2019
Four people were shot during the Raptors parade, causing a stampede as shots rang out.

Raptors revellers fled in panic after shots rang out while the NBA Champions and political dignitaries addressed a massive crowd from the nearby stage at Nathan Phillips Square.

There were multiple reports of gunshots and stampeding at around 3:45 p.m. as hundreds of thousands of people were jammed into the square for a rally celebrating the team’s NBA Championship win.

The shooting at the corner of Bay and Queen Sts. left four people — including a woman in her 30s — with non-life threatening gunshot wounds.

The shooting happened as the Raptors sat onstage with Mayor John Tory, Premier Doug Ford and Prime Minister Justin Trudeau. The ceremony onstage continued despite the incident and people were being urged to remain in place.

One bystander told CP24 that he heard a “rumbling” on the ground just before a stampede of people.

“We were standing watching and we heard this rumbling on the ground and we started to look around to see what could it be,” he said. “Then I see everyone behind my mom just getting trampled, everyone’s getting pushed. So I grab my mom and just hold on.

“It didn’t stop, everyone kept falling. My mom was screaming ‘don’t fall, don’t fall. If you don’t fall, we’ll be okay. We were trying to recollect and see what happened, and then it happened again. That’s when ‘we realized we have to leave the arena this second.’”

Another bystander told CP24 he took a child under his arms to prevent him from getting trampled on.

“People were running from every area, so we didn’t know what happened,” he said. “A mother and her child were there, just nine or 10 years old. His mom kind of freaked out and said ‘I can’t lose him’ and he asked ‘can I go under you?’ and I said ‘of course’ and just kind of put them behind me. It ended up being calm in a few moments and it was okay.”

Shoes, backpacks and cell phones could be seen scattered on the ground following the chaos.

In addition to the shooting, four people were injured in two separate stabbing incidents around the Eaton Centre during the rally. Police have not made a connection between any of the incidents.

Toronto Police Chief Mark Saunders appealed to thousands of video-taking fans to help his officers in their investigation of the shooting that marred the massive and otherwise peaceful Raptors victory parade.

Three people were arrested a short time after the gunfire and two firearms were recovered, police said.

“The apprehensions were done incredibly quickly after the incident itself,” Saunders said.

The Toronto Raptors' seasoned play-by-play announcer is winning widespread praise for calming a jittery crowd after gunfire broke out at a jammed Nathan Phillips Square, convincing fans to remain strong and "stay together."

Sources
me - was there
https://torontosun.com/sports/basketball/nba/toronto-raptors/raptors-fans-take-to-toronto-streets-to-celebrate-nba-championship
https://www.cp24.com/news/shooting-at-nathan-phillips-square-leaves-four-people-injured-sends-crowds-scrambling-1.4470268
https://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/nba/matt-devlin-raptors-calm-crowd-shooting-1.5179259
The_News_GuyJun 18, 2019 12:06 AM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Jun 18, 2019 12:04 AM

Oct 2011
They shoulda legalized guns, then this wouldn't have happened.
Jun 18, 2019 12:06 AM

Jan 2009
imagine if everybody has guns to protect themselves /s
Jun 18, 2019 12:36 AM

May 2018
Sigh...another shooting.
Jun 18, 2019 1:28 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
iasuru said:

Yea, the only reason there is gun violence is because we don't have enough guns to protect ourselves.
Jun 18, 2019 3:00 AM
Jan 2019
149597871 said:
iasuru said:

Yea, the only reason there is gun violence is because we don't have enough guns to protect ourselves.
He's being sarcastic...I think....
Jun 18, 2019 3:23 AM

May 2018
Hah probably a salty murican because they lost to a Canadian team. It must be really embarrassing to lose to Canada.
Jun 18, 2019 4:46 AM

Jun 2008
deg said:
imagine if everybody has guns to protect themselves /s

My exact thoughts...literally becomes the old West with everyone shooting everyone!
Jun 18, 2019 4:47 AM

Jun 2008
Only_Brad said:
Hah probably a salty murican because they lost to a Canadian team. It must be really embarrassing to lose to Canada.

There are no “Canadian” teams, lol.

Almost the entire roster is made of American players.
Jun 18, 2019 7:26 AM
Cat Hater

Feb 2017
The_News_Guy said:
149597871 said:

He's being sarcastic...I think....

I've been deceived! And here I thought I've finally found a fellow gun maniac who can support my cause. Tricky... so tricky...
Jun 18, 2019 8:03 PM

May 2013
Trudeau will use this to ban pistols... it will do little.
Jun 19, 2019 1:59 AM

Mar 2008
Was someone just drunk and mad or was it celebratory and went wrong?
Jun 19, 2019 10:56 AM
May 2019
--ALEX-- said:
Only_Brad said:

One of the reasons Raptors fans are annoying. They swear everyone else has it out for them or something because they are a "Canadian Team" even though the set up is the same for them as all the other Teams in the NBA.
Jun 19, 2019 11:45 AM

Jun 2008
Krul_Lurk said:
--ALEX-- said:

One of the reasons Raptors fans are annoying. They swear everyone else has it out for them or something because they are a "Canadian Team" even though the set up is the same for them as all the other Teams in the NBA.

Sports fans in general like to think everyone is against them...makes them feel really good when they win.

It’s the classic “us vs the world” mentality.

It is rather stupid tho...the Team plays in Canada, but everything else about them is American.

It’s fine tho...they had a great season and a hell of a run.
Jun 19, 2019 1:59 PM
Jul 2018
Anti-gun people love to point at shootings but are interestingly unable to explain why most shootings occur on gun-free zones.
Jun 19, 2019 2:08 PM

Apr 2013

Do we know if there was any bad intention on that one or it was just someone celebrating a bit too excessively by firing shots or something?

--ALEX-- said:
Krul_Lurk said:

Sports fans in general like to think everyone is against them...makes them feel really good when they win.

It’s the classic “us vs the world” mentality.

It is rather stupid tho...the Team plays in Canada, but everything else about them is American.

It’s fine tho...they had a great season and a hell of a run.

What, you mean that during football's World Cup not almost everyone is against the French's team? ^^"
Jun 19, 2019 4:13 PM

Dec 2015
Zefyris said:

Do we know if there was any bad intention on that one or it was just someone celebrating a bit too excessively by firing shots or something?

Probably just excited. I know I always fire guns indiscriminately into crowds when I feel like celebrating.
I like to think that's why I never get invited to Birthday parties.
Jun 19, 2019 5:19 PM

Feb 2018
Who wants to takes bets on whether or not this was a B.O.B. crime situation? We have to decide whether or not this is a gun issue versus an "evil whitey" issue.
Jun 19, 2019 5:22 PM

May 2013
casual_filth said:
Who wants to takes bets on whether or not this was a B.O.B. crime situation? We have to decide whether or not this is a gun issue versus an "evil whitey" issue.

This story is getting very little attention from the press so its easy to guess.
Jun 19, 2019 7:01 PM

Oct 2011
casual_filth said:

Evil white obviously. The white race is being oppressed. They don't want this celebratory parade because it's mostly played by black people.
Jun 20, 2019 10:21 AM

Feb 2010
"Don't watch sports people it makes you violent."
Says no one ever but you can gerenteed if it was video games people would be having a field day with it ¬_¬
"among monsters and humans, there are only two types.
Those who undergo suffering and spread it to others. And those who undergo suffering and avoid giving it to others." -Alice
“Beauty is no quality in things themselves: It exists merely in the mind which contemplates them; and each mind perceives a different beauty.” David Hume
“Evil is created when someone gives up on someone else. It appears when everyone gives up on someone as a lost cause and removes their path to salvation. Once they are cut off from everyone else, they become evil.” -Othinus

Jun 20, 2019 11:04 AM

Jan 2019
Aldnox said:
Anti-gun people love to point at shootings but are interestingly unable to explain why most shootings occur on gun-free zones.

Mass shooters will only attack the defenseless, thats why shootings mostly happen at concerts, movies and schools where guns are not allowed. Gunshows and shooting competitions have never had a mass shooting despite having a massive gathering of people with guns.

Mass shootings are scary and emotionally charged so they tend to get talked about the most, but the national conversation ( I am aware that this instance was in Toronto) needs to be directed at the core problem of violent crime that accounts for many times more deaths than mass shootings. This topic tends to be avoided since it ends up being racially charged......
RinkanReichJun 20, 2019 1:17 PM
Jun 28, 2019 11:03 AM

May 2013
hazarddex said:
"Don't watch sports people it makes you violent."
Says no one ever but you can gerenteed if it was video games people would be having a field day with it ¬_¬

The Olympics was literally used as a way to find good generals and officers for the army so there isn't much of an argument against it.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.