Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Jun 18, 2019 5:52 PM
May 2016
I'm starting to wish Mappa hadn't added the stuff with Daigo's land and people becoming demons. Does that improve the story at all compare to Daigp simply wishing for power? It's just too heavy handed and it seems like they realized that they hadn't actually shown anything to imply something being wrong with Hyakkimaru except his partially red aura so they needed to have him go off the rails all at once.

And where did this idea even come from? The only place I can think of is his cameo in young blackjack.
Jun 18, 2019 6:51 PM

Nov 2017
Comander-07 said:
ArcturusMi said:

Are you for real? Contract requires agreement from both parties. The demon didn't accept the proposal unless it's Hyakki.

Damn this show is really wasted on people like you.
doesnt it hurt being like this?

Just a reminder that this is an old japan. In those times first born will always be the heir. They will just be considered not if they are dead. And fortunately Hyakkimaru is still alive.

Also, do you think the demon cared about human system like heir by selection. Tahoumaru is a heir by selection. He was a replacement for Hyakkimaru. A replacement has no value for demons. For them Hyakkimaru has way more value as he is born as a heir.

Also in episode 12. Tahoumaru and his group tried to do something to the hall of hell to stop the curse and also help Hyakkimaru (maybe). But what happened? They we're push back by the demons.

It is good to say your thoughts and things. But it is bad to forget that this show is not your typical modern era anime. Old era's are way complicated with their hierarchy system and stuff.
Jun 18, 2019 7:25 PM

Dec 2016
Damn we're already about to be at the series finale, it's been a pretty fun ride so far
“I love heroes, but I don't want to be one. Do you even know what a hero is!? For example, you have some meat. Pirates will feast on the meat, but the hero will distribute it among the people! I want to eat the meat!” - Monkey D. Luffy
Jun 18, 2019 7:38 PM
May 2016
If Hyakkimaru hadn’t killed the demons. How many more travelers would bandai have eaten? How many more Brides would the centipede demon eat? How long before the 12 demons requested another heir to devour? After all the moth demon was getting given more ofterings on a regular basics.
Jun 18, 2019 10:14 PM

Sep 2018
Is it just me or watching hyakki fight with arms seems a bit weird?
Looking forward to the finale. I hope they don't force a happy ending.
Jun 18, 2019 10:45 PM

Aug 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
nightcrawlercyp said:
Another bullshit episode. Hyakkamaru is considered a demon because he fights for what is right, but the 3 that literally become demons are considered humans. It seems the only one making sense is Dororo and every other person is either retarded or insane. H mother contradicts herself during the episodes and even during this one. And Dororo gets mad with the whole don't turn into a demon thing at the end of the episode. The only good thing about this episode was the two retard retainers dying

@Swagernator the motives of Daigo and Tahomaru are in no way valid.

Can you then justify a continued mass-murdering and screeching like a demon Hyakkimaru has been going on about during the last episodes? Does him rightfully wanting his hands back makes him morally impervious to any kind of sin he will commit while on his crusade? That's not even my idea, all there in the episode.
Mass murdering? You mean the soldiers? It was clearly established that they are as evil as demons by all their repeated abuses and by their mentality. It is also not clear if tgey died or just got wounded and fled. If you mean tge two retainers they are demons at this point. Also their mind is so gone killing them is more a mercy kill. About being impervious to every sin I never said that. If he kills NPCs he will commit a sin he will have to repent for later. But now destroying the demons and freeing the people from the rule of Daigo must take priority. The people can never be happy as long as Daimyo and his samurai are alive. Unless they repent all those must die.Killing demons is not a sin.
Jun 18, 2019 10:53 PM

Apr 2017
holy fuck. i'm a day late to the episode due to work starting and i'm blown away. the ost was so good in this episode and the animation was awesome. the fight was just simply incredible. tahou's three-eye thing is super creepy but i love it lol.

ngl the rapidash horse death was really fuckin sad. especially when its baby saw it die right in front of them and rapidash immediately recognized them and kinda snapped out of it for a second. that's the power of love right there.

i really liked the conversation dororo, nui, the priest and the villagers had. they all made really good points and dororo defending hyakki was so precious. i can't help but agree with all of their points but at the same time just really want hyakki to get his body back; dororo is right - hyakki has been through some real shit to get his body back. but at the same time, is it worth it to sacrifice an entire land for one person? maybe they can come to some sort of compromise, like the bearded villager said.

i'm really not ready for this anime to end. been watching since it premiered and fell in love with it. i'm sad to see it go but excited for the finale.
Jun 18, 2019 11:13 PM

Oct 2017
Exciting like every part of this anime. I truly hope a good finale PLEASE.
-¡Give yourself to me!
Jun 18, 2019 11:41 PM
Apr 2019
yasuda1986 said:
If Hyakkimaru hadn’t killed the demons. How many more travelers would bandai have eaten? How many more Brides would the centipede demon eat? How long before the 12 demons requested another heir to devour? After all the moth demon was getting given more ofterings on a regular basics.

Those demon threats are local. If Hyakkimaru didn't kill the demon, yes they'll continue their by the numbers killing, meanwhile the WHOLE Daigo suffers, then dies.
Jun 18, 2019 11:45 PM
Apr 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

Can you then justify a continued mass-murdering and screeching like a demon Hyakkimaru has been going on about during the last episodes? Does him rightfully wanting his hands back makes him morally impervious to any kind of sin he will commit while on his crusade? That's not even my idea, all there in the episode.
Mass murdering? You mean the soldiers? It was clearly established that they are as evil as demons by all their repeated abuses and by their mentality. It is also not clear if tgey died or just got wounded and fled. If you mean tge two retainers they are demons at this point. Also their mind is so gone killing them is more a mercy kill. About being impervious to every sin I never said that. If he kills NPCs he will commit a sin he will have to repent for later. But now destroying the demons and freeing the people from the rule of Daigo must take priority. The people can never be happy as long as Daimyo and his samurai are alive. Unless they repent all those must die.Killing demons is not a sin.

And you understood absolutely nothing from this series. You accuse samurais, humans, of being evil and agree to their merciless erradication. You are a samurai yourself, if you believe in what you say. Saddening, but you are a great example of why Dororo is a needed series even today - when picking sides means you automatically consider the other side as an utter evil that must be eliminated no matter the cost and moral implications.
ArcturusMi said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

You are mistaking profound symbolism here. The horse was not "demonized", it rather became a tool of vengeance by the "world (not saying Buddha here)" for all this crap humans kept on causing. Which is why it faced against people who literally allowed demons to posses them. There is a FULL FRONTAL symbolism in play.

I'm referring to that comment who thinks Hyakkimaru is just a victim. And Taho is unjustified in his actions.

I was also referring to the commentary you were referring to, but could not find it to properly quote it, to be honest...
Re:formed
Jun 18, 2019 11:51 PM
Apr 2016
ArcturusMi said:
RainyShadow said:

It's the same as if you get a loan (the prosperity for the land).
If you're a decent person, you'll seek a way to invest the money you borrowed, so you can pay back what you got and still have some to live well.
If you're a dumbass (Daigo), you'll just consume it. When the time comes to clear your debt, you won't be able to. Daigo does just this, and then he tries to kill his creditor.

P.S. why do they have a shrine dedicated to demons anyways? Smells even from the beginig...

... Do you even understand the contract Daigo made? It's not loan lmao

He asked the demons to take "anything from me [Daigo]" in exchange of the prosperity of The Land of Daigo. That's it. He's willing to sacrifice himself.

But the demon loves their wordplay and took his firstborn (since Hyakkimaru "belongs" to Daigo Kagemitsu).

The idea is demons don't care what they take, but they will always take something that will cause as much tragedy and friction to humans as possible. Contemporary demons, that is. If they took Daigo himself, that's it. The man is gone, his realm is happy, end. But by taking his son they insure the suffering would continue for at least two people - Daigo and his wife. Everything played into demons hands when Buddha protected the Head of Hyakkimaru, inadvertently causing this moral abyss in the whole realm, and making sure the "son vs father vs brother" narrative scars everyone deeply. Hyakkimaru will surely balance the scales out, but the process was there and the demons like it.
Jun 19, 2019 12:45 AM

Aug 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

And you understood absolutely nothing from this series. You accuse samurais, humans, of being evil and agree to their merciless erradication. You are a samurai yourself, if you believe in what you say. Saddening, but you are a great example of why Dororo is a needed series even today - when picking sides means you automatically consider the other side as an utter evil that must be eliminated no matter the cost and moral implications.
ArcturusMi said:

I'm referring to that comment who thinks Hyakkimaru is just a victim. And Taho is unjustified in his actions.

I was also referring to the commentary you were referring to, but could not find it to properly quote it, to be honest...
I understood the series including the ambiguous bs they tried to put forth from ep1, but I also know the original manga and the original anime.
Also you insult me. I believe that officials should be executed if they abuse their position and that soldier's purpose is to defend the people. In army if you do actions like those the soldiers did in the anime you face a shooting squad. Yes I know it was not the way things were back then but there is a good reason for it. I remember Vlad impaling corrupted officials and that was a good thing.
Also according to you a samurai should have the right to rape steal and kill the people they are trying to protect?
Neither Daigo Tahomaru or the samurai care at all for the people. Yes they do say this to make themselves feel better but their actions do jack shit to help them. What is good are fertile plains if the samurai class take everything they produce from the pov of the peasant? You clear do not understand the pain of serfdom in feudal society.
Jun 19, 2019 1:25 AM
Apr 2016
nightcrawlercyp said:
Daniel_Naumov said:

I understood the series including the ambiguous bs they tried to put forth from ep1, but I also know the original manga and the original anime.
Also you insult me. I believe that officials should be executed if they abuse their position and that soldier's purpose is to defend the people. In army if you do actions like those the soldiers did in the anime you face a shooting squad. Yes I know it was not the way things were back then but there is a good reason for it. I remember Vlad impaling corrupted officials and that was a good thing.
Also according to you a samurai should have the right to rape steal and kill the people they are trying to protect?
Neither Daigo Tahomaru or the samurai care at all for the people. Yes they do say this to make themselves feel better but their actions do jack shit to help them. What is good are fertile plains if the samurai class take everything they produce from the pov of the peasant? You clear do not understand the pain of serfdom in feudal society.

And you insult the whole history of your own species, foundations of humanism, fundamental ideas presented in this series and sound extremely pretentious when talking about the motivations of the characters. As if you understood them. But the bloodthirst will not get you anywhere, closer to us. Always staying behind because of anger and enemy-making. You will see what happens to Hyakkimaru, and hopefully you will see the parallels in the mirror.
Jun 19, 2019 2:36 AM

Mar 2012
NV_ said:
fukumenkei said:

the thing is, he's not fighting for a better quality of life, hyakkimaru is fighting for the right to be alive. which he should have had since he was born.

What are you talking about, he IS alive? And he isn't any less alive because he can't touch or see things the same way other people can, he just has a lower quality of life.

Obviously Hyakkimaru isn't evil or anything for wanting the same chance as everyone else, but there are already people in his world less fortunate than him by this point so it's not like he's been that wronged; however Hyakkimaru is the only character in the series acting purely out of self interest, and that makes him the worst person.

Got to commend Dororo though, never seen a series straddle the line of right and wrong so well.

come on, he is alive, but it's not like anyone would let him live anyway. tahoumaru is trying to kill him. they need him dead, for the demons to keep eating him forever so the land can have peace.

and him getting what's his is not gonna kill thousands, it'll make their lives more difficult, just as it was supposed to be from the beginning.

it's difficult to accept being sacrificed for something you've never chosen. it's not fair. they call him a monster and want him dead, the deal his father made took everything away from him. i wouldn't say that's self interest, it's survival instinct. the worst person in a this is definitely his father. if he wanted to save his land so desperately, he should have given his own body to the demons.
Jun 19, 2019 4:58 AM

Sep 2014
operationvalkyri said:
I gasped so many times during this episode, I lost count.
Stark700 said:
[b]One more episode left and I'm honestly missing this anime already.
Exactly how I feel. This has been an amazing ride!

SAME SAME SAME 😭😭😭
Jun 19, 2019 6:28 AM
Apr 2016
fukumenkei said:
NV_ said:

What are you talking about, he IS alive? And he isn't any less alive because he can't touch or see things the same way other people can, he just has a lower quality of life.

Obviously Hyakkimaru isn't evil or anything for wanting the same chance as everyone else, but there are already people in his world less fortunate than him by this point so it's not like he's been that wronged; however Hyakkimaru is the only character in the series acting purely out of self interest, and that makes him the worst person.

Got to commend Dororo though, never seen a series straddle the line of right and wrong so well.

come on, he is alive, but it's not like anyone would let him live anyway. tahoumaru is trying to kill him. they need him dead, for the demons to keep eating him forever so the land can have peace.

and him getting what's his is not gonna kill thousands, it'll make their lives more difficult, just as it was supposed to be from the beginning.

it's difficult to accept being sacrificed for something you've never chosen. it's not fair. they call him a monster and want him dead, the deal his father made took everything away from him. i wouldn't say that's self interest, it's survival instinct. the worst person in a this is definitely his father. if he wanted to save his land so desperately, he should have given his own body to the demons.

Again, you lack knowledge. This was addressed a thousand time through and through during each episode discussion - demons did not give him a choice of what to give them, they merely took what they wanted when Daigo drew the pact. Also, contemporary demons take first-borns as sacrifices for about a thousand years now. This is not about what Daigo wanted. This is about what demons wanted.
Jun 19, 2019 6:56 AM
May 2016
"The demon pact can only be fulfilled by sacrificing the body of Hyakkimaru, the heir of Daigo.

This part really stood out to me, that Hyakkimaru status as the heir is important to the deal with demons. It’s not just the sacrifice of the firstborn, a common trope, but the fact that Hyakkimaru’s birthright is to rule the land after his father. He’s literally the future of Daigo and his fate is tied to the fate of the land.

Daigo Kagemitsu didn’t sacrifice his son - he exchanged the future of his domain for the temporary prosperity in the present of his reign. And that time is over. The future came in the form of Hyakkimaru and it’s already ruined by the past bad decisions."
Jun 19, 2019 7:29 AM

Aug 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
nightcrawlercyp said:

And you insult the whole history of your own species, foundations of humanism, fundamental ideas presented in this series and sound extremely pretentious when talking about the motivations of the characters. As if you understood them. But the bloodthirst will not get you anywhere, closer to us. Always staying behind because of anger and enemy-making. You will see what happens to Hyakkimaru, and hopefully you will see the parallels in the mirror.

1. How am I insulting the history of my species?
2. humanism is a demonic ideology and deserves insulting
3. I do understand them
4. I would not say bloodthirst but justice thirst : Blessed are those that thirst for righteousness for they shall be full
5. What enemy-making?
6. How do you know what will happen to Hyakkamaru or me? Are you a fortune teller?
Jun 19, 2019 8:41 AM

Aug 2018
@MNafisN
The ED 2 full version is being released on June 25th
Jun 19, 2019 8:51 AM
Jan 2017
Increible la forma en que todo tomo forma en este episodio.
El caballo se moria pero se llevaria a ellos dos consigo, hyakkimaru volviendose salvaje y empezando una increible pelea con su hermano
Jun 19, 2019 9:10 AM
May 2016
"And you understood absolutely nothing from this series. You accuse samurais, humans, of being evil and agree to their merciless erradication. You are a samurai yourself, if you believe in what you say. Saddening, but you are a great example of why Dororo is a needed series even today - when picking sides means you automatically consider the other side as an utter evil that must be eliminated no matter the cost and moral implications.."

The samurai would do things like test the sharpness of their swords on bystanders in real life. That isn't calling someone evil because they're your enemy, that is just evil.
Jun 19, 2019 9:19 AM

Sep 2014
Zilch_216 said:
Comander-07 said:
doesnt it hurt being like this?

Just a reminder that this is an old japan. In those times first born will always be the heir. They will just be considered not if they are dead. And fortunately Hyakkimaru is still alive.

Also, do you think the demon cared about human system like heir by selection. Tahoumaru is a heir by selection. He was a replacement for Hyakkimaru. A replacement has no value for demons. For them Hyakkimaru has way more value as he is born as a heir.

Also in episode 12. Tahoumaru and his group tried to do something to the hall of hell to stop the curse and also help Hyakkimaru (maybe). But what happened? They we're push back by the demons.

It is good to say your thoughts and things. But it is bad to forget that this show is not your typical modern era anime. Old era's are way complicated with their hierarchy system and stuff.
I would say old era is actually way easier and straight forward.

Fact is Tahouidiot never tried to sacrifice himself, which makes him a hypocrite. The worst kind of people.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 19, 2019 10:23 AM

Mar 2012
Daniel_Naumov said:
fukumenkei said:

Again, you lack knowledge. This was addressed a thousand time through and through during each episode discussion - demons did not give him a choice of what to give them, they merely took what they wanted when Daigo drew the pact. Also, contemporary demons take first-borns as sacrifices for about a thousand years now. This is not about what Daigo wanted. This is about what demons wanted.

i lack knowledge? okay, if you say so...
but it doesn't make daigo any better. he _chose_ to make a pact with the demons. that is what daigo wanted. he knew he would have to pay. and through the whole story, i've never seen he showing a speck of remorse or compassion to hyakkimaru.
Jun 19, 2019 11:01 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
And it just get worse and worse, the relationship between Tohomaru and Hyakkimaru. Another thrilling episode and we’re in for a ride in next week’s finale episode for sure!

Dororo’s old appearance in the end of the ED and the way this episode played out makes me certain that Hyakkimaru will surely die next episode and I’m assuming he’ll be taking down Tohomaru along (the fire a possible indication of it). Dat aside, we right away got the continuation of the fight and boy did it get messed up. Hyakkimaru’s horse ripping off the head of Hyogo and taking down Mutsu was bloody gruesome, what was with the flow of blood during some of the shots though? And then we got a little mother-son scene which was honestly really touching. I just hope this isn’t some kind of ‘history will repeat itself’ sort of a foreshadowing but a twist like that could be pretty cool too, I suppose. Dororo and the Priest’s little convo there was rather interesting though and it’s good to see Dororo supporting Hyakkimaru through thick and thin. On the other side of things, Lord Daigo is ready to take the war on and Hyakkimaru v Tohomaru, the final battle, has begun! Choppy animation throughout the episode and for the majority of the series but here’s to hoping we get a great send-off!
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 19, 2019 12:00 PM
Sep 2014
fukumenkei said:
NV_ said:

Did you even watch the series or are you arguing from the synopsis?

1. Tahomaru is trying to kill him to stop him hurting his land and people more, if Hyakkimaru swore to not pursue his arms and eyes and moved far away, then he would literally never be bothered by Daigo's land ever again. Perhaps they'd prefer for him to be dead and save more of their people, but that's never been portrayed as their objective.

2. No, it is killing people. We've literally seen disease and famine killing people on screen, and it's been made very clear that the reason their land is falling under these disasters is because the pact with the demons is being broken by Hyakkimaru. Sure you could argue this is just the way things should have been, it's a fair point of view, but why would they not save lives when they have the power.

3. There is no survival instinct here, he is actively pursuing battle and danger to have a better body and quality of life. It's certainly not fair on him, but a lot of things in life (more so in their world) are unfair. Thousands of people dying to natural disasters is unfair. Thousands of people dying to preventable natural disasters is unfair.

4. Daigo offered his body to the demons. As he quite openly and literally said, he was willing to offer them anything of his. His life, his body, his soul. I still wouldn't describe Daigo as a good person, he seems too stubborn and unsympathetic to Hyakkimaru, and he seems to be creating war out of ego and securing his position more than what's best for his people. But at least he's not killing innocents to secure his position. Like some people are.
👌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)👌
Jun 19, 2019 12:13 PM

Sep 2010
the horse's death was quite sad...

at this point I don't really care bout Mutsu and Hyogo, letting the demons posses them and calling Hyakkimaru the bad guy - poor guy is just the victim here!

Tahomarou still acts like a spoiled brat to me
Jun 19, 2019 12:41 PM

Oct 2012
@_MushiRock11_ I agree with this I also believe that hyakkimaru and the tahoumaru will die.I want a happy end with hyakkimaru & dororo, I ask a lot? xD
ElenajaneJun 19, 2019 12:44 PM

Jun 19, 2019 1:05 PM
EOussama

Dec 2016
This episode knew no chills, neither did the last two as well, it really is leading to a heartbreaking conclusion I fear.
Don't even get me started on the fight's choreography, I'm confident enough this is the best I've seen this season. Quite unexpected.
Tahomaru's servants' death caught me off guard, it was sudden, quick and brutal, just what you would expect from an actual massacre from a haunted horse. It sounds weird even when it's in context. I can't believe the next episode is going to be the finale.
Jun 19, 2019 1:35 PM
May 2016
"1. Tahomaru is trying to kill him to stop him hurting his land and people more, if Hyakkimaru swore to not pursue his arms and eyes and moved far away, then he would literally never be bothered by Daigo's land ever again. Perhaps they'd prefer for him to be dead and save more of their people, but that's never been portrayed as their objective.

2. No, it is killing people. We've literally seen disease and famine killing people on screen, and it's been made very clear that the reason their land is falling under these disasters is because the pact with the demons is being broken by Hyakkimaru. Sure you could argue this is just the way things should have been, it's a fair point of view, but why would they not save lives when they have the power.

3. There is no survival instinct here, he is actively pursuing battle and danger to have a better body and quality of life. It's certainly not fair on him, but a lot of things in life (more so in their world) are unfair. Thousands of people dying to natural disasters is unfair. Thousands of people dying to preventable natural disasters is unfair.

4. Daigo offered his body to the demons. As he quite openly and literally said, he was willing to offer them anything of his. His life, his body, his soul. I still wouldn't describe Daigo as a good person, he seems too stubborn and unsympathetic to Hyakkimaru, and he seems to be creating war out of ego and securing his position more than what's best for his people. But at least he's not killing innocents to secure his position. Like some people are."

Tahomaru made an enemy of Hyakkimaru right away. When your opponent is kill first talk later, trying to come to an agreement is impossible. Tahomaru was the one with the chance to offer that possibly.
Jun 19, 2019 1:54 PM
May 2013
Some of you seem to think Daigo offered himself because of the English translation of " Take anything of mine." It's clear in Japanese though. "Wa ga te ni hairu mono" Literally, " what come into my hand". So, it's actually what he would obtain , not what he already had at the time of the deal. After all, as he clearly stated, It was all for his dream of ruling over a prosperous land. Can't rule if he is dead.

I am not here to debate about which side is more right. Just pointing out Daigo was never willing to sacrifice himself. He actually worded it, so the sacrifice would come from elsewhere.
Jun 19, 2019 2:35 PM
Apr 2016
Jaslen said:
Some of you seem to think Daigo offered himself because of the English translation of " Take anything of mine." It's clear in Japanese though. "Wa ga te ni hairu mono" Literally, " what come into my hand". So, it's actually what he would obtain , not what he already had at the time of the deal. After all, as he clearly stated, It was all for his dream of ruling over a prosperous land. Can't rule if he is dead.

I am not here to debate about which side is more right. Just pointing out Daigo was never willing to sacrifice himself. He actually worded it, so the sacrifice would come from elsewhere.

Will obtain or already obtained? I don't think I want to argue over the basics of language, when demons don't care for them, but "hairu" might mean bot future and present time. However ambiguous, Daigo might have also meant "everything that is mine" as everything he laid his hand on. But that does not matter even relatively, at this point.
Jun 19, 2019 7:22 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Elena-chan21 said:
@_MushiRock11_ I agree with this I also believe that hyakkimaru and the tahoumaru will die.I want a happy end with hyakkimaru & dororo, I ask a lot? xD

Yup, I totally understand that feeling ;-;
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jun 19, 2019 7:49 PM
May 2016
Does anyone think this force moral dillema is dragging the show down a bit. The story of Daigo wishing for power was just fine. The point of a villain isn't to be a central focus but too drive the plot and themes. So why do we need to contrive a way to make the villan kind of have a point. And this need in recent works to make the Hero seem grey is basically a cliche at this point.

The moral Dillema for me is making the show less enjoyable.
Jun 19, 2019 10:16 PM
Nov 2015
yasuda1986 said:
Does anyone think this force moral dillema is dragging the show down a bit. The story of Daigo wishing for power was just fine. The point of a villain isn't to be a central focus but too drive the plot and themes. So why do we need to contrive a way to make the villan kind of have a point. And this need in recent works to make the Hero seem grey is basically a cliche at this point.

The moral Dillema for me is making the show less enjoyable.
wow really I think it's making the story better , making daigo wish only for power was dull and it improved upon it.

It wasn't contrived it made perfect sense. Hero being grey is equivalent to great writing as it's an inherent aspect of the human condition to be grey and not be black or white, even if you call it a cliche(which is the wrong word to use) it's still one that's worth writing.
Jun 20, 2019 2:35 AM
May 2016
NV_ said:
fukumenkei said:

1. Tahomaru is trying to kill him to stop him hurting his land and people more, if Hyakkimaru swore to not pursue his arms and eyes and moved far away, then he would literally never be bothered by Daigo's land ever again. Perhaps they'd prefer for him to be dead and save more of their people, but that's never been portrayed as their objective.

4. Daigo offered his body to the demons. As he quite openly and literally said, he was willing to offer them anything of his. His life, his body, his soul. I still wouldn't describe Daigo as a good person, he seems too stubborn and unsympathetic to Hyakkimaru, and he seems to be creating war out of ego and securing his position more than what's best for his people. But at least he's not killing innocents to secure his position. Like some people are.

why is everyone putting Daigo's misery on Hyakkimaru, as if it was his responsibility?
Jun 20, 2019 2:41 AM

Oct 2008
BEST EPISODE! ACTION WISE AND SCRIPT WISE!
looks like all the important characters will gather on the last conclusion episode namely Biwamaru & Jukai!
5/5!

Jun 20, 2019 6:38 AM

Jul 2017
WHAT A PHENOMENAL EPISODE.

With the brutal death of Hyogo and Matsu, and the Rapidash ghoul, Hyakkimaru has everything but his eyes, to the prospect of Tahomaru.

All that's left is Tahomaru vs. Hyakkimaru. The swordfight for the eyes.

And Dororo, she is worried about Hyakkimaru, because once he gathers all human body parts, he has no use for her.

Honestly, with this episode, it can end in 2 ways:
Tahomaru wins, and the status quo can go on.
Hyakkimaru wins, he gets his own body back, the kingdom of Daigo is set in ruins, and all be put back into place. Peace and long build to prosperity, without the sacrifice of anyone.

Because of Daigo and the sacrifice of Hyakkimaru, this journey of 6 months has been the most deafening, shocking and emotional.

Either way, awaiting upon the final episode! Anywho hopefully it will go on a solid ending note.
KANLen09Jun 20, 2019 6:46 AM
Jun 20, 2019 7:28 AM
May 2016
"wow really I think it's making the story better , making daigo wish only for power was dull and it improved upon it.

It wasn't contrived it made perfect sense. Hero being grey is equivalent to great writing as it's an inherent aspect of the human condition to be grey and not be black or white, even if you call it a cliche(which is the wrong word to use) it's still one that's worth writing."

Well I mean what they're doing with Hyakkimaru seems really forced. Also I would say that they're quite of few people in history who were entirely evil. Making Hyakkimaru into a monster was also my least favorite parts of young black jack. Also it doesn't seem like they're trying to make Hyakkimaru grey, but trying to make him almost black.
Jun 20, 2019 11:26 AM
Sep 2014
yasuda1986 said:
"1. Tahomaru is trying to kill him to stop him hurting his land and people more, if Hyakkimaru swore to not pursue his arms and eyes and moved far away, then he would literally never be bothered by Daigo's land ever again. Perhaps they'd prefer for him to be dead and save more of their people, but that's never been portrayed as their objective.

4. Daigo offered his body to the demons. As he quite openly and literally said, he was willing to offer them anything of his. His life, his body, his soul. I still wouldn't describe Daigo as a good person, he seems too stubborn and unsympathetic to Hyakkimaru, and he seems to be creating war out of ego and securing his position more than what's best for his people. But at least he's not killing innocents to secure his position. Like some people are."

Tahomaru made an enemy of Hyakkimaru right away. When your opponent is kill first talk later, trying to come to an agreement is impossible. Tahomaru was the one with the chance to offer that possibly.

What?? The whole reason he's being attacked is because he continues to pursue his body, they don't need to spell it out to each other that the fighting would cease if Hyakkimaru stopped because there wouldn't even be a reason to fight at all if he stopped.
👌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)👌
Jun 20, 2019 12:07 PM

Mar 2012
NV_ said:

the thing is, it didn't start like this. hyakkimaru killed a demon and got a body part. then he did it again and got another. he learned that if he went after the demons he would have his body back, so he did. he didn't know about a pact, he didn't even know about daigo's land until he came across them. you're arguing about him fighting merely for a better quality of life but when it all began, he had nothing, he couldn't feel, see, talk, hear, he didn't even had a face. the trigger that set him out of control these last episodes for his arms and eyes wasn't -his- quality of life, he realized he couldn't protect what he cared about - dororo - properly without his body. would you rather fight to be able to protect someone you care about and cares for you or give it up for the sake of a land of people who call him a demon and are trying to kill him? both are fighting for what they want to protect in a way. and it's not like tahoumaru and daigo would stop trying to kill him even if he went away and tried to live in peace with what he already has. he already took stuff from the demons, the land is already perishing, even without his arms and eyes. tahoumaru explicitly said this episode, and in the last ones too, that he's going after hyakkimaru to give his body back to the demons. his objective had been killing hyakkimaru ever since they met in banmon.
you see, it's not that black and white, i wouldn't side and agree with hyakkimaru's fight if he was actively killing all those innocent people by his sword, but the famine and diseases aren't really his fault. i stand by hyakkimaru on this because it wasn't his choice, it's too heavy of a burden for a boy to carry on his back. can't hold it against him if he's trying to end the pact.
to me, natural disasters, pests and all that is falling on the land, those are all natural. it's devastating and hard, yes, but it is natural. no one's fault but of nature itself. daigo tried to interfere in that trying to make a pact with demons but it would never last. what would have happened after the demons finished consuming hyakkimaru's body? they would have to give another sacrifice? would him give tahoumaru in his place, or tahoumaru's first born? does that make it okay?
i actually see where you're coming from, but the only character i can't sympathize with in all this is daigo himself. the hall of evil is called of evil for a reason after all. demons are never good or fair. he knew what he was getting into. and I don't buy his talk of "for the prosperity of the land", what daigo wants is power, he fights for himself.
Jun 20, 2019 12:14 PM

Dec 2014
a bit sad how the series is coming to its finale like this
Jun 20, 2019 12:15 PM

Mar 2012
NV_ said:
yasuda1986 said:

What?? The whole reason he's being attacked is because he continues to pursue his body, they don't need to spell it out to each other that the fighting would cease if Hyakkimaru stopped because there wouldn't even be a reason to fight at all if he stopped.

not really. tahoumaru already said that he needs to give his body back to the demons. if he stopped pursuing his body, he would be after him anyway, because of the parts he already got.
Jun 21, 2019 8:20 AM

Oct 2017
Finally those two annoying bastard and bitch died. Also a grand stage fot Hyakkimaru and tahomaru to fight. I hope the ending is not a dissapointment.
Jun 22, 2019 2:00 AM

Apr 2018
How tf did Hyogo move when his head came flying? And Did that guy just called Hyaki a demon? Compared to Tahomaru, he looks more human. Fokin cliffhanger. Well, next episode is the last.
Jun 22, 2019 5:08 AM
May 2016
@Shirai-chan Hyogo and mutsu where being controlled by the last demon.
Jun 22, 2019 5:51 AM

Nov 2014
this country can go to shit for all i care. everyone in it are total selfish assholes who lost their humanity a long time ago. Fighting a blind person when you got three eyes and you still think you're not doing anything wrong?? Robbing him of everything and then calling him a monster for trying to take it back!?? I'm so glad they died and I can't wait for Tahomaru to die a miserable death and for this country to rot in hell. I've never hated an anime character so much since that hypocrite Suzaku from Code Geass.

Daniel_Naumov said:

I wouldn't call Hyakkimaru a mass murderer. All he did in the beginning was kill demons. It's Daigo and Tahomaru and their soldiers who attacked him first. So he fought back, and what if he killed them in return? It's only in self-defense. And when they become demons themselves, would it really be a sin for Hyakkimaru to kill them? Would you really call a human with three eyes, two of them were given to him by the demon, robbed from another human, a human?? To me, Hyakkimaru has more humanity than Tahomaru would ever have. No matter what Hyakkimaru turns into in the end, be it a human or a demon, I'll still be on his side. There's nothing wrong with taking back what you owned that were robbed from you. If anything, it's those robbers who justified their actions by using their country as an excuse who are in the wrong.
ttcchenJun 22, 2019 6:07 AM
Jun 22, 2019 6:33 AM
Sep 2014
fukumenkei said:
NV_ said:

the thing is, it didn't start like this. hyakkimaru killed a demon and got a body part. then he did it again and got another. he learned that if he went after the demons he would have his body back, so he did. he didn't know about a pact, he didn't even know about daigo's land until he came across them. you're arguing about him fighting merely for a better quality of life but when it all began, he had nothing, he couldn't feel, see, talk, hear, he didn't even had a face. the trigger that set him out of control these last episodes for his arms and eyes wasn't -his- quality of life, he realized he couldn't protect what he cared about - dororo - properly without his body. would you rather fight to be able to protect someone you care about and cares for you or give it up for the sake of a land of people who call him a demon and are trying to kill him? both are fighting for what they want to protect in a way. and it's not like tahoumaru and daigo would stop trying to kill him even if he went away and tried to live in peace with what he already has. he already took stuff from the demons, the land is already perishing, even without his arms and eyes. tahoumaru explicitly said this episode, and in the last ones too, that he's going after hyakkimaru to give his body back to the demons. his objective had been killing hyakkimaru ever since they met in banmon.
you see, it's not that black and white, i wouldn't side and agree with hyakkimaru's fight if he was actively killing all those innocent people by his sword, but the famine and diseases aren't really his fault. i stand by hyakkimaru on this because it wasn't his choice, it's too heavy of a burden for a boy to carry on his back. can't hold it against him if he's trying to end the pact.
to me, natural disasters, pests and all that is falling on the land, those are all natural. it's devastating and hard, yes, but it is natural. no one's fault but of nature itself. daigo tried to interfere in that trying to make a pact with demons but it would never last. what would have happened after the demons finished consuming hyakkimaru's body? they would have to give another sacrifice? would him give tahoumaru in his place, or tahoumaru's first born? does that make it okay?
i actually see where you're coming from, but the only character i can't sympathize with in all this is daigo himself. the hall of evil is called of evil for a reason after all. demons are never good or fair. he knew what he was getting into. and I don't buy his talk of "for the prosperity of the land", what daigo wants is power, he fights for himself.

You make some good points and some terrible ones.

First the good: I didn't consider that Hyakkimaru's increased dedication might be a desire for the ability to protect Dororo, but thinking about it I suppose that's what the drowning scene where he smashed his arm up was about. In that light, he's not really fighting only for himself and becomes much more sympathetic.

Then the terrible..:
1. Hyakkimaru has known what his quest is doing to people for a period of time where he wasn't being attacked, and saw the effects firsthand during the moth monster episodes. Obviously he wasn't doing wrong before he knew, he was killing evil monsters even, but now he does and he doesn't care: this makes him a bad person.

2. There's no reason to believe that Daigo's land would pursure Hyakkimaru if he gave up. They've got their hands full with their own stuff, and wouldn't even be able to find him if he travelled far away. Tahoumaru only started threatening to take things back from Hyakkimaru in the most recent 2 episodes, where he's likely influenced by demons himself and what's to get back at the man who's continuously killed and hurt his people.

3. I don't actually think this is black and white. Like several characters in show say, it's obvious that the lives of the many outweigh the life of Hyakkimaru - that bit isn't up for debate. But how you personally feel about that exchange and sacrifice is very much up to interpretation and the value you place on life versus justice. I also don't think anyone thinks Hyakkimaru is EVIL, and if he wins then things will go back to normal: but he's stopping things being better and that matters.
(And also, he IS literally killing innocent people by his own sword, did you forget the rampaging scene with him and his Rapidash? Soldiers are people too, and they don't know about the pact.)

4. That nature argument was something. It's natural so we should accept that we should die to it and not bother trying to survive these issues? WHAT lmao? No further comment.

5. Why are you assuming there would need to be further sacrifices? It's possible, but considering it's been 15~ years and all of Hyakkimaru's body parts are still functional when they're returned, it's also possible that this could last forever. Even if a further sacrifice was needed in another 30 years, that was 45 years of people living and being happy that wouldn't have happened otherwise.

6. I don't think someone who was ONLY interested in power and himself would offer to sacrifice himself for the prosperity of his land, but I think we agree that (at least nowadays) Daigo is an egotistical and nasty person.
👌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)👌
Jun 22, 2019 7:19 AM

Feb 2017
ready for possible bad end after see the old man who saved hyakki gonna do something

MAL score and most user-based rating system are all joke, Imagine trusting plebs and hivemind. Find users who have good sense and rating and use them as a reference. Check my guide to rate
Your taste is trash. Cope, seethe, mald
Jun 22, 2019 8:51 AM
Jul 2018
I want Hyakkimaru to strangle Tohamaru with his new hands.
Jun 22, 2019 9:56 AM
Apr 2016
ttcchen said:
this country can go to shit for all i care. everyone in it are total selfish assholes who lost their humanity a long time ago. Fighting a blind person when you got three eyes and you still think you're not doing anything wrong?? Robbing him of everything and then calling him a monster for trying to take it back!?? I'm so glad they died and I can't wait for Tahomaru to die a miserable death and for this country to rot in hell. I've never hated an anime character so much since that hypocrite Suzaku from Code Geass.

Daniel_Naumov said:

I wouldn't call Hyakkimaru a mass murderer. All he did in the beginning was kill demons. It's Daigo and Tahomaru and their soldiers who attacked him first. So he fought back, and what if he killed them in return? It's only in self-defense. And when they become demons themselves, would it really be a sin for Hyakkimaru to kill them? Would you really call a human with three eyes, two of them were given to him by the demon, robbed from another human, a human?? To me, Hyakkimaru has more humanity than Tahomaru would ever have. No matter what Hyakkimaru turns into in the end, be it a human or a demon, I'll still be on his side. There's nothing wrong with taking back what you owned that were robbed from you. If anything, it's those robbers who justified their actions by using their country as an excuse who are in the wrong.

You lack some profound understanding of this "humans and demons" narrative, but well can't catch them all this era.
Tahoomaru will be the only one surviving from him family, and his land will start prosper little by little thanks to Dororo's father treasures. Just a hint.
Hyakkimaru did not start as a villain, and he is still is not one. In fact, there is, like, zero villains here. ZERO. Which is why the series and many of Osamu's works are called "Grey morality". There is, however, an extermely transparent concept of "crime and punishment". You sin, you kinda perish, through different mechanisms and causality. At this point about everyone sinned. Except Tahoomaru maybe, as he is only trying to slay his brother. But that bit is open up to a lengthy debate.
So Hyakkimaru kept on trying to get his limbs back by slaying foul demons. Actual evil, which, as per trope, was brought in by the humans, but humans themselves were not evil. Okay, he is not doing a bad thing. But suddenly humans also start getting involved with the demons, and Hyakkimaru is forced to slay humans as well. Regardless of their moral spectrum, his crusade after his body was always going to end like this. Bad people get cut by him, others meet their demise in the process of chasing him.
At this point Hyakkimaru had been called out on being selfish and blinded by his "greed" several times now. By different characters, even the blind Monk who is as close to being a manifestation of virtue in this series as it can be. But he does not care anymore, he shouts and shakes off Dororo, his only "light in the dark" and new family. As was logically stated, Hyakkimaru has enough body parts to keep on living more or less content (considering a third of the population is either malnourished or invalid, he is kinda well-off), but he does not listen to no reason, he selfishly follows what he wants. Not what is right, though there is no right here, as I will allude in the closing remark. Either way he is causing way more friction and suffering than he would do if he stopped chasing his past. Lives are being ruined because he wants to take the body back. Lives of people who initially had nothing to do with the whole deal with the devil thing, but are now a part of the broader tragedy. Whatever virtue Hyakkimaru had in the beginning, is gone at this point. He became what he fought against - a troubled, angered man trying to further his justified goals during cruel, harsh times. The same as Daigo was in the episode 1, the same as Tahoomaru is now.
So everyone from his blighted family is going up or down the circles, except for Tahoomaru, because someone has to lead the people into a new, balanced age. Balanced, because as demons cemented the deal, the forces of good also entered the play (no one says Buddha). The protection Hyakkimaru received, the steed infused with divine vengeance (a subtle hint how it surprisingly withers in a fight against demon-possesed hands) - everything is there to help Hyakkimaru balance the scales. Which means nullify the contract. He is not supposed to survive the ordeal, as he is now merely an instrument of powers beyond him. But he may (and definitely will) take pride that, before he perished, he made something good and left the world to others in a slightly better state than it was. As the world is rid of devil deals, and about everyone who was directly or not responsible for it, the people will begin anew, this time enduring the hardships and working to their heart's extent to restore their country. Without relying on questionable deals. AND they will have a major boost up in a form of Dororo's gold. The series begins at zero, goes up to 99,(99), and then goes right back at zero, from which everything begins anew, as if the whole Dororo never happened.
So if you are saying you will still blindly, wholeheartedly support him, regardless what the series creators are telling you, you have a right to do so. You have chosen the poor right though so prepare some antidepressants and a notebook to write down the message of this series. So that the next time you will avoid succumbing to some sorta impulses, and will choose whom to support wisely.
Daniel_NaumovJun 22, 2019 10:06 AM
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

» Is Dororo a boy or a girl ? ( 1 2 )

JanPri - Jan 15, 2019

80 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:39 AM

» Possible reason for such ending

Raajdeep - Oct 21, 2023

24 by 1List2RuleThemAl »»
Apr 19, 11:37 AM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Stark700 - Jan 14, 2019

204 by Shadowwolf21 »»
Apr 7, 11:34 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 16 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 29, 2019

108 by Bubblarz »»
Mar 31, 1:52 PM

Poll: » Dororo Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 24, 2019

442 by Flomik »»
Mar 25, 1:26 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.