Forum Settings
Forums

Football (Soccer) thread of the 2019-20 season

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (16) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 8, 2019 11:23 AM

Aug 2010
Just not jumping? lol

I watched Pukki bully some Bosnians this evening.
Jun 9, 2019 6:17 PM

Mar 2012
I find Women's World Cup fun to watch. I guess I'm "woke" by MAL standards, but I also just like soccer and have always played soccer with girls/women. It's a game, so the more the merrier. I went to two round of sixteen games at the 2015 WWC in Canada and even cheered for England, so y'all can thank me.
LoneWolf said:
@Josh makes me sad to call myself Canadian.
Jun 10, 2019 7:28 AM

Aug 2010
I've been to a decent number of Norwich City ladies games over the years but that's about being invested in a local side more than for general love of the game. The quality of women's football just isn't there sadly, even at International level. Glad you find it fun though, although i'm sure it's really just a sideshow for you too. During the season, at least.

Legitimately do love the virtue signalling whenever it comes to these summer tournaments, and the fake enthusiasm/ignoring of mistakes from the commentators.

On the bright side diversity did bring Alex Scott to the front row of BBC Pundits (ticks twoboxes). Talks just as much crap as most of her male colleagues but man, she really cute.
Jun 13, 2019 12:52 AM

Nov 2011
Must mean he's on his way to Hillsborough then

SWFC

We're all Wednesday arent we?
Jun 13, 2019 7:03 AM

Jan 2018
earnshaw30 said:

Ribery should go to PSG instead, that's the perfect spot to end his footballing carrer there.
Jun 13, 2019 10:09 AM

Aug 2010
Liverpool away on the opening day. Chelsea and Man City in the first 5 games.

Easy.
Jun 13, 2019 2:32 PM

Jun 2008
One good reason to watch the Women’s World Cup!

^Well rounded teams!

😉
Jun 13, 2019 6:59 PM

Aug 2010
Jun 15, 2019 5:55 PM

Nov 2016
Argentina playing like shit (as always). Great win for Colombia.

Jun 15, 2019 5:58 PM

Jul 2016
Where has this beautiful thread been all my life?
Jun 15, 2019 6:28 PM

Jul 2016
earnshaw30 said:

I take offense to that
Jun 15, 2019 7:29 PM

Apr 2011
I guess it was Higuain's fault.
Jun 15, 2019 7:37 PM

Nov 2011
Optigisa said:
earnshaw30 said:

I take offense to that

thanks for letting me know
SWFC

Jun 15, 2019 7:44 PM

Jul 2016
yhunata said:

I am guessing Argentina lost an international match again
Jun 15, 2019 7:48 PM

Apr 2011
Optigisa said:
yhunata said:

Lost 2-0 to Colombia in the opener of the Copa America.
Jun 16, 2019 7:43 AM

Jun 2008

Oh damn....I’d watch EVERY game if this occurred!

I mean, hot damn...can you imagine, these super fit girls in hot pants? Truly a new meaning to the “beautiful game”!

And lol, Of course some of them got offended...😂😂😂

Jun 16, 2019 7:49 AM

Jun 2008
_XaViAN said:

The best part is gonna be when they crash out and Everyone blames Messi, and he finally says “enough of this bullshit” and actually retires from International play.

Honestly tho...Messi is barely Argentinian.

Dude left the country in his early teens, doesn’t live there (at all), and everyone in the goddamn country seems to dislike him for some retarded reason.

Why even bother?

As a Barca fan, I’d rather him rest and get ready for next season than play this dumb tournament.
Jun 16, 2019 9:09 AM

Nov 2016
--ALEX-- said:
_XaViAN said:

The best part is gonna be when they crash out and Everyone blames Messi, and he finally says “enough of this bullshit” and actually retires from International play.

Honestly tho...Messi is barely Argentinian.

Dude left the country in his early teens, doesn’t live there (at all), and everyone in the goddamn country seems to dislike him for some retarded reason.

Why even bother?

As a Barca fan, I’d rather him rest and get ready for next season than play this dumb tournament.

It's rather unfortunate when you have one best player in the team while the rest are just a bunch of flops. The pressure that the media have laid on his shoulders is a heavy burden for just one individual to carry. For a game that is made up of 11 players, they will always find a way to point fingers at that one individual. Yet again, this is a team game. So whether you have the best player in the world in your team or not, it does not matter as long as everyone is playing as a team.

The Argentinian squad has been lacking a good coach for quite some time now and another main problem is that they lack cohesion and team play. So I don't know how you can rely on one person to do everything. You can't really blame Messi for the whole team's performances. That just fucking ridiculous.

Maradona teammates stepped up for him and scored in the World Cup 86' final. Ronaldo got injured in Euro 2016 final and his teammates stepped up for him. But have the Argentinian players ever stepped up for Messi when he needed them the most? Nope. Hell, Argentina wouldn't have been at the world cup if it wasn't for him.

He might just as well commence retirement 2.0

Jun 16, 2019 11:22 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
--ALEX-- said:

The worst part about this is that when Messi announces his international retirement, everybody will be begging him to stay, even though they blame their losses on him. The Argentinians are aware that they cannot afford to lose Messi, so they'll try to make him feel forgiven so that he continues to play for them, only to criticize him again. I really want Messi to retire internationally, due to the lack of supports he gets from both his team and the fans. Argentina does not deserve a player like him.
Jun 16, 2019 12:24 PM

Jun 2019
Soccer is probably the most boring sport out there I never saw appeal in watching it
but even that isn't as bad as it's toxic masculinity spreading fanbase who always gets angry and aggressive over the dumbest things like not liking their team or player missing a shot, like chill it's just a dumb game whether the team wins or loses has no bearing on you.

Jun 16, 2019 1:44 PM

Aug 2010
Pretty much agree. We just hate ourselves.
Jun 16, 2019 4:05 PM

Jul 2016
yhunata said:
Optigisa said:

Lost 2-0 to Colombia in the opener of the Copa America.

Damn, that's sad to hear.
Jun 16, 2019 8:04 PM

Apr 2011
What the fuck are you people talking about? Whenever Argentina (or Barca) loses, people will blame everyone but Messi. Where have you seen people blame Messi and only Messi? Hell, my earlier post was a reference to this very behavior where Higuain was always made the scapegoat.
Jun 17, 2019 12:11 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
yhunata said:
What the fuck are you people talking about? Whenever Argentina (or Barca) loses, people will blame everyone but Messi. Where have you seen people blame Messi and only Messi? Hell, my earlier post was a reference to this very behavior where Higuain was always made the scapegoat.

To be fair, it is true that when Barcelona loses, it is rare that people put the blame on Messi. However, that is not the case for Argentina. If you remember in the 2015 Copa America, many Argentinians put the blame on Messi for their loss in the final. Though it is true that Higuain was criticized, currently, Argentina criticizes mainly Messi. Currently, Higuain can no longer be made the scapegoat when Argentina loses, for obvious reasons, so fans and the media just need to find someone else to criticize, where they choose Messi, due to their frustration at how he wins everything at Barca, but is unable to bring Argentina a trophy.
If you want to know more about it, you can search up on the Argentinian media's reaction after the 2015 Copa America, and the Copa América Centenario. Argentinians put the blame on Messi after Argentina's losses in the finals.
Jun 17, 2019 2:13 PM

Mar 2016
yhunata said:

Not just that. Over years, How many times have coaches been changed and teams formations made to adapt to Messi? From 2014-2019, you have 4 coaches. I may not have seen all fan reactions, but whether Argentina or Barca loses, you always get Messi apologists. Especially when it comes to Argentina, they say he’s playing with pseudo-world class players, and that none are up to his caliber to assist him as an excuse for team losses and Messi not being efficient.
Shishou_23Jun 17, 2019 2:19 PM
Jun 17, 2019 5:09 PM

Jul 2016
I hate it when Americans call it soccer. I bet they do it just to annoy the Europeans.
Jun 17, 2019 5:12 PM

Jul 2016
yhunata said:

I agree. Messi missed the biggest chance against Germany in the 2014 final. Any other day and he would have slotted it in. I don't know why everyone blames Higuain for missing a hard chance when they should be blaming Zabaleta or Messi for that game. Messi also missed the decisive penalty in the finale against Chile, it's really not Higuain's fault.
Jun 17, 2019 5:35 PM

Sep 2013
Optigisa said:
yhunata said:

I agree. Messi missed the biggest chance against Germany in the 2014 final. Any other day and he would have slotted it in. I don't know why everyone blames Higuain for missing a hard chance when they should be blaming Zabaleta or Messi for that game. Messi also missed the decisive penalty in the finale against Chile, it's really not Higuain's fault.
Same can be said about Higuain missing a chance and penalty vs chile 2015 while messi was the only one that made the penalty. At least Higuain has missed a total of 3-4 clear chances in finals and he's a striker who should at least make one of them, while Messi has played most of his career in arg as a deep midfielder due to the midfield being mediocre at best.

At the end of the day messi isn't free of blame he's made his mistakes or not performed at a high level in some games, but more of the blame has to go to the players surrounding him and more than the players the argentina federation for not implementing a style of game in the team for all these "golden" years and thinking that by just having messi everything will be solved or that it will guarantee success. Watching a argentina game is insufferable haha.
sic mundus
Jun 17, 2019 5:41 PM

Jul 2016
Rastafa21 said:
Optigisa said:

Same can be said about Higuain missing a chance and penalty vs chile 2015 while messi was the only one that made the penalty. At least Higuain has missed a total of 3-4 clear chances in finals and he's a striker who should at least make one of them, while Messi has played most of his career in arg as a deep midfielder due to the midfield being mediocre at best.

At the end of the day messi isn't free of blame he's made his mistakes or not performed at a high level in some games, but more of the blame has to go to the players surrounding him and more than the players the argentina federation for not implementing a style of game in the team for all these "golden" years and thinking that by just having messi everything will be solved or that it will guarantee success. Watching a argentina game is insufferable haha.

Yes, I agree in some ways, I am just referring to Messi's brand of fans or the Barcelona fans, who were so angry that Messi never won the titles that they started blaming Higuain. I know Higuain sucks, just that Messi is to be equally blamed as well for missing crucial chances.
Jun 17, 2019 8:18 PM

Apr 2011
Good lord, what on Earth is wrong with Roma? First they sell their best players, then they decide not to renew De Rossi's contract and only tell him this at the very end of the season and now Totti. Does their board really think their fans are gonna side with them rather than their biggest living legend?
Jun 18, 2019 12:36 AM

Feb 2012
yhunata said:
Good lord, what on Earth is wrong with Roma? First they sell their best players, then they decide not to renew De Rossi's contract and only tell him this at the very end of the season and now Totti. Does their board really think their fans are gonna side with them rather than their biggest living legend?

Is Dzeko still at Roma, not moved yet to Inter?

Will he even go.
Jun 18, 2019 1:52 AM

Nov 2011
Why are Japan playing in the Copa America am I just really shit at geography?
SWFC

Jun 18, 2019 1:58 AM
Community Mod
+ Manga DB Staff

Feb 2017
earnshaw30 said:

Copa America is the international competition for countries in CONMEBOL. There are only 10 countries in that group, which is not enough to make up a tournament. So for every Copa America, two teams are invited to participate in the competition to bring the number of teams up to 12. In 2019, the invited teams were Qatar and Japan.
So no, you're not bad at geography.
Jun 18, 2019 8:17 AM

Aug 2010
earnshaw30 said:

Plate tectonics, pal. Your geography textbooks were clearly out of date.

Jun 18, 2019 8:35 AM

Sep 2015
That would be really embarrassing for those 10 CONMEBOL countries if none of them emerged as the champion in the end of the tournament.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jun 18, 2019 9:40 AM

Nov 2011
Government should do something about those textbooks.....if we eventually leave europe can we also play in the copa america?

Wednesdays under a "soft" transfer embargo for not submitting our accounts because we're shady as fuck
SWFC

Jun 18, 2019 5:14 PM

Aug 2010
What does that mean? One in- one out? If it gets too bad you can just do a Derby and sell your stadium to yourselves anyway.

We signed a 17 year old from Rochdale and have had a bid accepted for a 19 year old Motherwell player. Also more talk of Jordan Rhodes today, seems that will be happening. Reckon we're heading for the top 10 tbh.
Jun 18, 2019 9:17 PM

Apr 2011
UpperCat said:
That would be really embarrassing for those 10 CONMEBOL countries if none of them emerged as the champion in the end of the tournament.

Probably why they decided to invite the Asian Cup finalists and not the Euro finalists. Imagine the scenes if Portugal had gotten invited and went on to win the Copa America.
Jun 19, 2019 4:21 AM

Nov 2011
ItsYaBoyShikari said:
What does that mean? One in- one out? If it gets too bad you can just do a Derby and sell your stadium to yourselves anyway.

We signed a 17 year old from Rochdale and have had a bid accepted for a 19 year old Motherwell player. Also more talk of Jordan Rhodes today, seems that will be happening. Reckon we're heading for the top 10 tbh.

means we cant sign anyone full stop though the club and our local media reckon its being removed in the near future and we've got 2 signings lined up so it cant be much of a problem....Chansiri supposedly did the stadium sale to ourselves a few weeks ago think we should be ok for this season now once this bans been lifted
SWFC

Jun 19, 2019 10:08 AM

Sep 2015
yhunata said:
UpperCat said:

Probably why they decided to invite the Asian Cup finalists and not the Euro finalists. Imagine the scenes if Portugal had gotten invited and went on to win the Copa America.

It'd be like a nightmare for them, I imagine.

Though, that scenario wouldn't be no grimmer than seeing Qatar or Japan winning it. Too bad their prospects don't look really good right now.

Tobacco Causes Severe Health Problems, Smoke Moderately While Respecting Others.
Jun 19, 2019 8:01 PM

Apr 2011
UpperCat said:
yhunata said:

It'd be like a nightmare for them, I imagine.

Though, that scenario wouldn't be no grimmer than seeing Qatar or Japan winning it. Too bad their prospects don't look really good right now.

I was actually talking more about the incredible salt mines that the Messi fanboys would generate.

Speaking of, Argentina just can't win, can they?
Jun 19, 2019 8:23 PM

Nov 2016
inb4 they lose to Qatar last match

Jun 21, 2019 8:37 AM

Jan 2018
Let's say goodbye to Fernando Torres, who is retiring from football after 18-years of his career. He last played for Sagan Tosu, a Japanese football club based in J-League.

Jun 21, 2019 12:41 PM

Oct 2010
Romania U-21 has just beaten England U-21 at the Euro 4-2. This is like impossible.
Jun 23, 2019 9:30 AM

Aug 2010
VAR is racist, lads. This confirms it.
Jun 23, 2019 10:56 AM

Nov 2011
That was just embarrassing from Cameroon
SWFC

Jun 23, 2019 11:21 AM

Aug 2010
The officials were babying them in the end, was clearly a pen and they should have had at least 2, possibly 3 sent off. Amazing.
Jun 24, 2019 9:45 AM

Apr 2013
San Siro to be demolished. Erm why?
Jun 24, 2019 9:53 AM

Jul 2016
Catalano said:
Romania U-21 has just beaten England U-21 at the Euro 4-2. This is like impossible.

Nothing is impossible in Football. Plus, England aren't an elite team.
Jun 24, 2019 10:07 AM

Oct 2010
Optigisa said:
Catalano said:

Nothing is impossible in Football. Plus, England aren't an elite team.

Yeah but, at least they have football programs and club development, a ton of money and everything. Romania team has some guys who play in England and Italy lower divisions and a few from Hagi's club, the difference is staggering. If it was for Serbia or Poland winning against the brits that wouldn't have been such a surprise, they have coaches and trainers and they invest body and soul in football. We're just sitting in front of our TVs and hoping we have luck with the big guys. If Romania loses by a 2 goal difference against France, they'll qualify for the Olympics.
Well, it's not like I hate a story where the little guys beats the strong guy so let's see what'll happen against the frenchies.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (16) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Sticky: » The Current Events Board Will Be Closed on Friday JST ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Luna - Aug 2, 2021

272 by traed »»
Aug 5, 2021 5:56 PM

» Third shot of Sinovac COVID-19 vaccine offers big increase in antibody levels: study ( 1 2 )

Desolated - Jul 30, 2021

50 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:24 PM

» Western vaccine producers engage in shameless profiteering while poorer countries are supplied mainly by China.

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

1 by Bourmegar »»
Aug 5, 2021 3:23 PM

» NLRB officer says Amazon violated US labor law

Desolated - Aug 3, 2021

17 by kitsune0 »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:41 PM

» China Backs Cuba in Saying US Should Apply Sanctions To Itself

Desolated - Aug 5, 2021

10 by Desolated »»
Aug 5, 2021 1:36 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.