Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 17, 2019 7:06 PM

Jul 2013
Let's talk about our experiences with the void.

I'll start off by saying that my most noticeable experience with this is after watching Beck. The journey of friendship and passion that Yukio undertakes throughout the series is a great one, and even with the momentous, positive ending, I still felt a sense of despondency when it all came to a close.

What about you?

(For those not in the know about what the void is, read this reddit thread to get a better understanding).

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 17, 2019 7:08 PM

Jun 2012
And then you read the Beck manga and instead of feeling any sort of void, you just feel incredibly burnt out.

Dorohedoro left me feeling wanting more. I just hadn't had enough.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 17, 2019 7:10 PM

Jul 2016
It sucks, that's for sure. Especially with anime that don't feel like it gave me any good closure despite me enjoying it up until its end. Despite that, I still get sad that the said show is over because I had a good time. I rate it a high rating and boom. Think about it for a few days and gradually forget about it.

The largest of that feeling I had was when reading the last chapter of Great Teacher Onizuka and that last panel with the final quote... hit me hard. So, yeah. A few others I can't recall off the top of my head as well.
deli_Jun 17, 2019 7:17 PM
"This little girl, who's not even half my size... taught me that tears can flow even from these silver eyes." - Teresa
Jun 17, 2019 7:17 PM

Sep 2018
I hadn't really had this happen to me in a while, one of them would be Angel Beats! The ending of that just hit me really hard emotionally, and I became really sad for a little while.
"Literary experts revealed that reviews on sites like MyAnimeList kill more than 200 brain cells per second."

- Joey, "The Anime Man"
Jun 17, 2019 7:49 PM

Dec 2012
I don't really get that. If I complete something I usually just feel satisfied unless it's extremely inconclusive or depressing. In which I'd feel sad or frustrated.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 17, 2019 7:54 PM

Aug 2014
I'm a couple years deep in the void but there isn't a particular anime that caused this. I don't think.
Jun 17, 2019 7:57 PM

May 2018
The first season of Digimon. Still one of my favorite and one of the best isekai till this day. That ending where they separate with their Digimon left me sad but I know its a good ending.
Jun 17, 2019 8:01 PM

Jan 2009
Devilman Crybaby made me sad for days like i cannot even watch other anime or read manga at those times too
Jun 17, 2019 8:16 PM

May 2016
I recently had that feeling when I rewatched cowboy bepop or finished watching it. I saw some random episodes on Adult swim when I was younger and I never thought about finishing it until now.The ending left me feeling kind of sad and hopeful? I actually ended up downloading some of the animes ost on my phone to keep that feeling with me.
"It's not like I wanted a signature or anything...BAKA!" - A MAL user.
Jun 17, 2019 8:32 PM

Jul 2017
First time would probably be with SAO. Especially since if you don't consider the Fairy Dance arc the ending of the Aincrad arc is pretty empty

It'd probably be Clannad AS next, for obvious reasons. YLiA also had its brief moment but it didn't last for too long

Then out of sheer astonishment, both Tamako Love Story and Hanasaku Iroha mainly cause of the fact that the romance in the 2 are quite similar. In fact even left me a bit frustrated because I wanted to see an after story of sorts but they were both originals so rip.
Jun 17, 2019 10:16 PM

Jan 2010
Fuchsia said:
Let's talk about our experiences with the void.

I'll start off by saying that my most noticeable experience with this is after watching Beck. The journey of friendship and passion that Yukio undertakes throughout the series is a great one, and even with the momentous, positive ending, I still felt a sense of despondency when it all came to a close.

What about you?

(For those not in the know about what the void is, read this reddit thread to get a better understanding).

Well, I'm usually buried in fanworks after I dig all of canon and official contents.

The longest time I've been in a void is like two years lmao. But I'm fine as long as I have content to feed on.

In order to avoid the emptiness, I usually make sure there is a ton of contents I can feed on even after I finished a show.
Jun 17, 2019 10:31 PM

Jun 2017
Manga like Orange, Koe no Katachi and Onani Master Kurosawa have left me longing for more content. What do I do? well, I just let time pass and just don't watch anime/read manga for a couple of weeks.

Also, reading/watching a completely different work generally helps getting rid of that feeling.

Jun 17, 2019 11:04 PM
Aug 2018
I think its hunter x hunter, black butler and haikyuu. The endings are okay except haikyuu cause i think there will be more adaptations but the waiting for it is sad.
They are just my favorite and I want moreeeee.
Jun 17, 2019 11:08 PM
Jul 2018
what sort of sad weeb experiences that, rip
Jun 17, 2019 11:18 PM

Oct 2014
After completing Legend of the Galactic Heroes i felt super spoiled and still feel like that to some degree, that i'll never be able to experience a complete narrative that grand again in anime. It went a little bit further and ruined Code Geass for me, the parallels between the two that CG used and did a lot of them worse in comparison is hard to ignore. I still like CG but the high place i had it at isn't where it is now.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
Jun 17, 2019 11:19 PM
Feb 2017
After watching Toradora! I didn't watch anime for over a month.
Jun 18, 2019 12:48 AM

May 2018
Completing a good anime title has the opposite effect on me - I want more stuff even substandard ones.

And of course I get burn out but by monotonous repetitive animes or by the lack of titles that appeal to me.
Jun 18, 2019 1:51 AM

May 2014
I don't think i've really experienced it, or at least not for very long. After watching Nana, which i consider to be a masterpiece. I was still able to watch and enjoy Noragami the same week i'd finished Nana. A good anime is a good anime.

After finishing the Umineko VN, i definitely felt like i'd never experience something on that level again (With the exception of Higurashi of course) But it doesn't stop me from enjoying other things.
Jun 18, 2019 2:12 AM

May 2009
From the source linked by OP

For people who do not know what 'the void' is, it's basically the feeling you have after you finish an anime you enjoyed so much you have no motivation whatsoever to watch anything else, severe cases leading to doing nothing else other than THINKING about said anime.

...is this a bad thing?

I consider this a good thing; it's an experience that's well worth having. (As long as one isn't to the point of being pathologically unable to do anything else.)

I actually sometimes long for bygone days when I had fewer pieces of creative media floating around in my mind and thus had more room for something I just watched to keep floating around my mind for days. Particularly if it was emotionally impactful. It'd really mean a lot to me.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 18, 2019 3:15 AM

Oct 2008
Void well the void you are referring to, I don't have as much experience with. Since it had to be one hell of an anime or manga, to make me feel as though it is the only one of it's kind.

However if there was ever an anime like that than that would be "Rainbow Nisha Rokubou no Shichinin", however one anime recently helped me get over that void. And the other void inducing anime is "Shingeki no Kyoujin", I still have yet to recover from the void this series caused me.
Jun 18, 2019 3:40 AM

Apr 2017
When I finished Fate/stay night: UBW in my early days, gone in the forest and stayed there for a while.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

Jun 18, 2019 3:53 AM

Apr 2017
It's been a while since I felt like that. It happened quite often when I began watching anime, but I guess since then I got used to it and it doesn't really happen anymore. It occasionally happens in a bit weaker form when I finish great show though. Last time it happened with Mushishi and Monogatari. But I no longer have that feeling of emptiness that makes it impossible to watch anime for a while. Only getting a bit unsettled by the fact that it's going to be hard to find a show that good anytime soon.

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jun 18, 2019 4:50 AM

Nov 2011
I think I experienced that every time I find a 10 or 9 in my rating system..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
Jun 18, 2019 5:08 AM
Apr 2017
It's happened to me with a few games I played but not with any anime that I can think of. After I watch an anime that I ended up giving a 9 or 10 to I usually start watching something else anyway (a sequel or just another kind of anime), if I stop watching anime altogether, it's not because of how godly the last I watched was but rather because I don't feel like watching anime and that's about it.
"The problem with defining even an aspect of your personality by something that you like, is that criticism of that product appears to you to be criticism of you personally. I find it to be a very harmful attitude, [...] you can't rationally discuss a product because you've started to define yourself by its very existence."

John Bain
Jun 18, 2019 5:44 AM

Feb 2014
GlennMagusHarvey said:

For people who do not know what 'the void' is, it's basically the feeling you have after you finish an anime you enjoyed so much you have no motivation whatsoever to watch anything else, severe cases leading to doing nothing else other than THINKING about said anime.

...is this a bad thing?

I consider this a good thing; it's an experience that's well worth having. (As long as one isn't to the point of being pathologically unable to do anything else.)

I actually sometimes long for bygone days when I had fewer pieces of creative media floating around in my mind and thus had more room for something I just watched to keep floating around my mind for days. Particularly if it was emotionally impactful. It'd really mean a lot to me.

Agreed.

The "void" as defined in this thread is the mark of excellence in anime.
Thinking about art you experienced can help you in many, obvious ways.
I guess there are few kind of "voids" ; nihilistic animes have very notorious ones. (Devilman Crybaby, Evangelion, Madoka Magica, etc)

を重ねるだけだよ
if you erase sin with a sin, you just add to your sins .
Jun 18, 2019 5:59 AM
Jul 2018
I'v been in the void ever since I finished Evangelion. I feel like no other anime will make me feel the same way as my top 3 favorites did.
Jun 18, 2019 8:14 AM

Mar 2016
alshu said:
Completing a good anime title has the opposite effect on me - I want more stuff even substandard ones.

Pretty much this. I end up getting excited thinking about all of the shows out there that I haven't seen yet.
Jun 18, 2019 8:31 AM
Jan 2018
Lets see I think the it was after watching k-on that i didnt watch anime for like half a month and most of the time i was just staring at the ceiling.
Jun 18, 2019 4:15 PM

Jul 2013
GlennMagusHarvey said:

...is this a bad thing?

I don't necessarily think that experiencing the void is a bad thing, but I think the feeling of the void is quite a bittersweet one.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 18, 2019 5:16 PM

Sep 2018
Tokyo Ghoul re for how bad it was.......
Jun 18, 2019 5:48 PM

Aug 2018
I feel a void when a great show has no ending... having a great show with a great end is one of the most enjoyable things ever.

PS: I'll never gonna understand the people that ask for more seasons after a show had a closed ending... those people are dumb.

More topics from this board

» Has the isekai bubble finally burst ( 1 2 )

EastIndiaCompany - Apr 23

66 by EastIndiaCompany »»
20 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

40 by Nemo_Niemand »»
6 minutes ago

» Who are your enemies in the anime industry/fanbase?

Catalano - 2 hours ago

12 by ShatteredSans »»
7 minutes ago

» Does being an anime fan make you proud or embarassed?

BuddhaIsBetter - Apr 22

46 by Nemo_Niemand »»
16 minutes ago

» Why are most current goblins green?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

22 by Ex-Aid »»
21 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.