Forum Settings
Forums
New
Jun 16, 2019 3:55 PM

Nov 2018
I doubt it will stay in 99 for a while but it more than deserves it in my opinion, this movie is a visual masterpiece and really fascinating to think about.
Jun 16, 2019 4:40 PM

Oct 2017
Top 100 is overrated for EoE, for my tastes. It's been a while since I watched it but I remember feeling it was kind of a lot of action and none of the moody, slow, atmospheric segments that made EVA so good.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Jun 16, 2019 4:46 PM

Dec 2013
No objections here. There are some far worse anime than EoE in T100. I'd say it deserves it.
Jun 16, 2019 5:35 PM

Jul 2016
EoE is one of the best Anime movies, better than the stuff that is in the top 10 on MAL
Jun 16, 2019 5:42 PM

Oct 2013
So the score is going up?
Jun 16, 2019 5:56 PM

Jul 2016
2ego said:
I found the movie horrible. Not sure why and how people like it.

But you think Dragon Ball and Monster are good?
Jun 16, 2019 6:02 PM

Jul 2016
keragamming said:
So the score is going up?

No. It was an 8.51 in March and it still is an 8.51 now, I think other titles' scores lowered.
Jun 16, 2019 6:34 PM

Dec 2016
99 is still insanely low. I honestly don't understand how this isn't yet in the top 10.
Jun 16, 2019 7:44 PM

Nov 2018
Arkab said:
99 is still insanely low. I honestly don't understand how this isn't yet in the top 10.

I agree completely.
Jun 16, 2019 7:45 PM

Jan 2009
this 600mb re-encode of this movie is sitting on my harddrive for years lol i have to eventually watch this but knowing the Rebuild movies are more enjoyable to me than the TV series makes me lazy to start watching this old movie
Jun 17, 2019 7:29 AM

Jan 2013
deg said:
this 600mb re-encode of this movie is sitting on my harddrive for years lol i have to eventually watch this but knowing the Rebuild movies are more enjoyable to me than the TV series makes me lazy to start watching this old movie
Watch it for those light effects. ;)
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 17, 2019 7:33 AM

Jan 2009
Cabron said:
deg said:
Watch it for those light effects. ;)

ye maybe next week i will try to watch it together with Kaiba
Jun 17, 2019 8:08 AM

Jun 2017
RIP Kaguya-sama

Well one day even Perfect Blue will be in top 100
Jun 17, 2019 1:45 PM

Jul 2016
2ego said:
Optigisa said:

But you think Dragon Ball and Monster are good?

I sure do. Elaborate on why those two are bad. I gave my opinion in the episode discussion of Eva.

Monster is monotonous and stretched out, the villain is a mary sue. Dragon Ball is the father of shonen and thus other shonen have taken it's archetypes and improved significantly on them. Plus, Dragon Ball's pacing is atrocious and the outcome is predictable. I tried to watch it last year and could not finish it.
Jun 17, 2019 2:38 PM

Jul 2016
2ego said:
Optigisa said:

Monster is monotonous and stretched out, the villain is a mary sue. Dragon Ball is the father of shonen and thus other shonen have taken it's archetypes and improved significantly on them. Plus, Dragon Ball's pacing is atrocious and the outcome is predictable. I tried to watch it last year and could not finish it.

I disagree that Monster is repetitive or stretched out, each story had great depth. The villain is great, Johan had immense depth in his character, and lacking flaws doesn't imply that he's a bad villain, in fact, as a villain, he stands atop, as he is the perfect villain. Yet again, if you personally dislike long shows, don't complain as if it's an actual flaw, older anime had longer adaptations than anime these days, don't use 2019's standards in a 1986's anime. Whatever the outcome, you wouldn't be satisfied with it unless everyone died and lost, since a positive outcome seems to be regarded as "predictable" in your viewpoint. In the first Dragon Ball, in fact, many times, the characters lost, though, so I don't see how it was "predictable."

To each their own, I guess. Monster is unimaginative and dull, I wanted to provide examples, but this is pointless.

if you personally dislike long shows, don't complain as if it's an actual flaw, older anime had longer adaptations than anime these days, don't use 2019's standards in a 1986's anime.

I really liked Yu Yu Hakusho, even though it was made in 92 and had 112 episodes worth of content. It's not my fault that the author's work (In this case, Dragon Ball) has not aged particularly well. As for older shows, I actually prefer older series over today.

Dragon Ball is predictable because the characters kept on winning and winning without any loss or consequences at the very least. What consequences though? When the author provides you with many plot devices (The Dragon Balls, Saiyan power boost, senzu beans, time chamber, etc.) you really cannot lose at all. Sure, this might be Dragon Ball and they didn't have the latter three, but they still had the dragon balls right then to use when a major villain attacked and a death occurred. And sure, they might have lost the occasional tournament match or two at the Budokai Tenkaichi tournaments, but that's not really a major threat. Look at Hunter x Hunter for example,
Plus, the nen system allows for various outcomes and depends on strategies, unlike Dragon Ball which favors the bigger number, thus turning it predictable and cliche.

I like Dragon Ball because of nostalgia, but that's really it.
Jun 17, 2019 2:47 PM

Nov 2018
It is in 98 now :D

Eva fans unite!
Jun 17, 2019 3:07 PM

Jul 2016
2ego said:
Optigisa said:

To each their own, I guess. Monster is unimaginative and dull, I wanted to provide examples, but this is pointless.

if you personally dislike long shows, don't complain as if it's an actual flaw, older anime had longer adaptations than anime these days, don't use 2019's standards in a 1986's anime.

I really liked Yu Yu Hakusho, even though it was made in 92 and had 112 episodes worth of content. It's not my fault that the author's work (In this case, Dragon Ball) has not aged particularly well. As for older shows, I actually prefer older series over today.

Dragon Ball is predictable because the characters kept on winning and winning without any loss or consequences at the very least. What consequences though? When the author provides you with many plot devices (The Dragon Balls, Saiyan power boost, senzu beans, time chamber, etc.) you really cannot lose at all. Sure, this might be Dragon Ball and they didn't have the latter three, but they still had the dragon balls right then to use when a major villain attacked and a death occurred. And sure, they might have lost the occasional tournament match or two at the Budokai Tenkaichi tournaments, but that's not really a major threat. Look at Hunter x Hunter for example,
Plus, the nen system allows for various outcomes and depends on strategies, unlike Dragon Ball which favors the bigger number, thus turning it predictable and cliche.

I like Dragon Ball because of nostalgia, but that's really it.

I'm talking ONLY about the first Dragon Ball, by the way. Goku nearly died fighting against Piccolo Daimao, he was beaten up insanely bad. Goku nearly died fighting against Mercenary Tao, too, he lost miserably against them. Taking only objectivity into account, the first Dragon Ball has next to no plot-holes, while Hakusho has A LOT of them. So, we have a clear conclusion: you're judging these shows entirely on your own personal taste. End of debate.

Have it your way then. You know Goku went on to annihilate Mercenary Tao after Kaorin gave him a plot device. Nearly dying or dying does not mean anything in the world of Dragon Ball, not DB nor DBZ nor any of it's other franchises since death has been made into a joke. I am pretty sure Dragon Ball has a plot hole though. The dragon balls, which are supposed to be stone for a whole year, are suddenly effective again during the Red Ribbon Army arc, which is roughly 8 months after their previous use.
Jun 17, 2019 4:12 PM

Jul 2016
2ego said:
Optigisa said:

Have it your way then. You know Goku went on to annihilate Mercenary Tao after Kaorin gave him a plot device. Nearly dying or dying does not mean anything in the world of Dragon Ball, not DB nor DBZ nor any of it's other franchises since death has been made into a joke. I am pretty sure Dragon Ball has a plot hole though. The dragon balls, which are supposed to be stone for a whole year, are suddenly effective again during the Red Ribbon Army arc, which is roughly 8 months after their previous use.

If you take that mindset into Dragon Ball's world, whatever they were to see, you would just find it as "bad." Dragon Ball doesn't make "death" a joke, it gives it a different atmosphere, an atmosphere that shows that their world is entirely created by the author, a creation that goes past "death." I'm sure that didn't happen, from my memories a year passed since the previous use.

Fine then. Why did you find EoE bad anyways?
Jun 17, 2019 4:52 PM

Jul 2016
2ego said:
Optigisa said:

Fine then. Why did you find EoE bad anyways?

Read my opinion in the episode discussion, that's where I posted it.

The movie or the series? I'm going to check out the movie one.
Jun 17, 2019 5:14 PM

Jul 2016
2ego said:
Optigisa said:

The movie or the series? I'm going to check out the movie one.

The series were great, the movie was not. The problem with the movie was it went completely off course, it wasn't even Evangelion anymore.

Well, to each their own I guess. I think both of them were great. Shinji finally concluded his character arc at the end of it.
Jun 17, 2019 6:21 PM

Dec 2016
Craftyslr said:

Eva fans unite!

Sadly once the new season arrives it's gonna fall at least 2 spots, Vinland Saga and Dr. Stone most likely are going to be at least 8.6+ rated shows (at least for a good while)...
Jun 17, 2019 6:35 PM

Nov 2018
Arkab said:
Craftyslr said:

Eva fans unite!

Sadly once the new season arrives it's gonna fall at least 2 spots, Vinland Saga and Dr. Stone most likely are going to be at least 8.6+ rated shows (at least for a good while)...

You're right....

Kind of sad that seasonal stuff always gets an extremely high score right away (even though both those shows look promising) because I think newer fans are just really excited. I'm sure the scores will fall back later on.
Jun 17, 2019 6:42 PM

Jan 2013
Why care about its placing?
At least be glad that it's still well known, others don't get to have that luxury.
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 18, 2019 3:48 AM

Jul 2016
Cabron said:
Why care about its placing?
At least be glad that it's still well known, others don't get to have that luxury.

True, I don't care for the mean score anymore.
Jun 21, 2019 4:33 AM

Aug 2018
Rating ispure bullshit guys, just enjoy whatever the hell you enjoy.

This movie is not only one of the best looking anime movies out there but it is another perfect conclussion for Evangelion. Now that it has come to Netflix, I hope it will be "better known".
Jun 21, 2019 4:52 PM

Apr 2011
ego2 said:
The series were great, the movie was not. The problem with the movie was it went completely off course, it wasn't even Evangelion anymore.

This guy gets it.

15 char
Jun 22, 2019 12:13 AM

Dec 2015
And how well does the TV series rank?

mhkr said:

It's a joke, right? Is there nothing from Kon "up there"?
@mhkr Thanks. (420th ?!)

Rei_IIIJun 22, 2019 4:08 AM
Jun 22, 2019 12:29 AM

Jul 2016
It is back to 100 now
Jun 22, 2019 12:52 AM

Jun 2017
Rei366 said:
mhkr said:

Not a joke but not completely serious. I just wanted to say that elitist shows ranks always will go higher and higher.

Perfect Blue was around 8.20 when I joined MAL but it's now 8.37. Even back in like 2011 the rating was under 8:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110424225244/https://myanimelist.net/anime/437/Perfect_Blue

And you can navigate through dates for more information
Jun 23, 2019 12:02 AM
Jul 2018
There are also the more recent Eva movies that stole the spotlight, though personally I prefer EoE much more.
Jun 23, 2019 12:37 PM

Nov 2013
YossaRedMage said:
Top 100 is overrated for EoE, for my tastes. It's been a while since I watched it but I remember feeling it was kind of a lot of action and none of the moody, slow, atmospheric segments that made EVA so good.

You might have watchend the wrong movie then.

deg said:
this 600mb re-encode of this movie is sitting on my harddrive for years lol

Bluray version is now out, I suggest getting that instead.
You all need to watch Nami.

Sep 2, 2019 12:41 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ferien said:

Don't take MAL rankings too seriously. It only represents a the views of primarily English speaking anime fans. Additionally MAL rankings suffer massively from recency bias. This is quite normal, specially with preteens and young adults as its predominant users. The site itself is only 13 years old, and productions that are older than lets say, 2003 have a real hard time staying up in these rankings.

As a general rule, whenever a show is pre 2000 I tend to add ,5 to it's ranking and if it's pre 1985 I add ,75. That gives me a much more realistic idea of the show (disclaimer: I'm not bothered by ""old"" or ""dated"" looking animation and art as a newbie would be).

Another weakness with MAL rankings is sequel bias. The MAL system doesn't consolidate sequels when a series is done and as a result you end up with a lot of sequels of a popular show ranking very highly, since all the people that did not like a show or series to begin with, will maybe not watch a sequel and then that sequel only gets votes by hardcore fans.
By the years 2050 about half of all the top 100 anime in MAL with be Gintama' It seems the shows fans just assign them 10's on autopilot.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Sep 2, 2019 12:45 PM
May 2019
It's one of my favorite anime movies of all time it definitely deserves it.

Ferien said:

+1
Sep 17, 2019 1:56 PM

Oct 2015
mhkr said:
Rei366 said:

Not a joke but not completely serious. I just wanted to say that elitist shows ranks always will go higher and higher.

Perfect Blue was around 8.20 when I joined MAL but it's now 8.37. Even back in like 2011 the rating was under 8:
http://web.archive.org/web/20110424225244/https://myanimelist.net/anime/437/Perfect_Blue

Not ALWAYS, Paranoia Agent and Millenium Actress are going down
Sep 17, 2019 2:10 PM

Jun 2017
Nostalgik said:
mhkr said:

Not ALWAYS, Paranoia Agent and Millenium Actress are going down
OK, you're right so in most cases I guess...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you think Shinji is irredeemable?

TASM18 - Apr 15

20 by Ten »»
Yesterday, 6:01 PM

Poll: » Neon Genesis Evangelion - The End of Evangelion Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Zerachroma - Jun 13, 2008

533 by rengoku09_ »»
Apr 1, 5:57 AM

» should i watch this movie instead of 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 or should i watch 25-26 and the movie

CRG - Aug 21, 2023

44 by Invisible_King »»
Mar 20, 1:27 PM

» There's nothing romantic about Asuka and Shinji

Sanjay63773 - Oct 26, 2022

37 by LoveLikeBlood »»
Mar 17, 1:01 PM

» how to watch?

misasdeathnote0 - Dec 19, 2023

18 by KitsuFrost »»
Dec 28, 2023 4:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.