Forum Settings
Forums

Is English dub really that good? Why do people keep being hyped over new dubbs?

New
Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Jun 11, 2019 8:33 PM

Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
DaCraziGuy said:
Hey, I said some anime dubs were good...

And in another comment I mentioned that dubs made by actual actors and not some drunk frustrated voice actor are generally good too.

But the percentage you mentioned is too low. 2.5% means out of 100, 2 shows have good dub. Nowadays the percentage is a lot higher.

Also if you are watching original dub and rely on subtitles. Subtitles translation can be shit as well. So if you truly want to experience original learn the language which I doubt a lot of people have patience to do.

1 - Subs tend to be a lot more accuarate compared to dubs... a LOT.
2 - You can get most of the mistakes if you know the language enough.
3 - NO, THEY ARE NOT BETTER THAN BEFORE
4 - you are dumb
Jun 11, 2019 8:35 PM

Aug 2018
Steiner1411 said:
DaCraziGuy said:
Why watching something in it's original language it's supoused to be a weeb thing? I'm not an english native speaker and I watch every show subbed... even in frech, german or russian...

and actually there is a 6, the original sucks... and that already makes pretty pointless the dub most of the times.

It isn't a weeb thing, but there are high chances of you becoming a weeb if you watch subs
No, you become a weeb when you fap to samurai stuff, you eat ramen everyday, you say some random japanesse word in every sentence and you do cosplay (unless you are a hot girl).
Jun 11, 2019 8:36 PM

Feb 2014
English dubs are trash these days. Every dub has the same handful of middle aged voice actors who would rather work in TV or movies than get stuck in voice acting. And most of these voice "actors" don't act, they do "anime voice". All of them speak in the same hideous sing-song speech pattern that just sounds weird and unnatural. Even the supposedly best ones. They can't emote and give a natural performance to save their lives.
Jun 11, 2019 8:40 PM
Mar 2018
DaCraziGuy said:
No, you become a weeb when you say some random japanesse word in every sentence

Exactly, this is what I'm talking about, you wont see dub watchers doing this
Jun 11, 2019 8:43 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
obvious_troll said:

But the percentage you mentioned is too low. 2.5% means out of 100, 2 shows have good dub. Nowadays the percentage is a lot higher.

Also if you are watching original dub and rely on subtitles. Subtitles translation can be shit as well. So if you truly want to experience original learn the language which I doubt a lot of people have patience to do.

4 - you are dumb

1. That is complicated because in dub you have to match syllables and context. Like in Steins;Gate main character tries to speak broken English but fails. That joke can be translated directly to sub but would not work in dub at all.
2. Okay
3. Yes. Just watch NGE movie dub or watch new Code Geass movie and compare them to original series. They are a lot livelier. I straight up hated NGE old dub and Code Geass was also so so. Just shouting what you said early won't make it come true.
4. Really is that the best you can say? I disagree so must be stupid and dumb. Just read my signature first line.
obvious_trollJun 11, 2019 8:49 PM
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Jun 11, 2019 8:47 PM
Dec 2015
Dubs tend to be pretty hit or miss. Dubs can be absolutely amazing (Baccano, Fate/Zero, Code Geass) or they can be trash. Most of the time they're trash but hearing a really good dub in a really good anime is an amazing experience.
Jun 11, 2019 8:50 PM

Jun 2014
It depends on the anime. Some I only watch dubbed and others I only watch subbed. With some anime, I have no preference either way.

I do like dubs mainly because I don't have to stare at the bottom of the screen or pause the episode to read the longer sentences before they go away. I'm pretty lenient on voice acting as long as it's not horrible or annoying

The main reason why I usually watch subs over dubs is because of Crunchyroll, but I'll usually watch the dub when they have it.
Jun 11, 2019 8:52 PM

May 2019
Varris said:
Dubs tend to be pretty hit or miss. Dubs can be absolutely amazing (Baccano, Fate/Zero, Code Geass) or they can be trash. Most of the time they're trash but hearing a really good dub in a really good anime is an amazing experience.

Funny things is that one of the example you mentioned is considered not that good. If you think Code Geass(Original dub) was good then this only proves that what dub hits for a person is subjective.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 8:57 PM

May 2019
Malkshake said:
It depends on the anime. Some I only watch dubbed and others I only watch subbed. With some anime, I have no preference either way.

I do like dubs mainly because I don't have to stare at the bottom of the screen or pause the episode to read the longer sentences before they go away. I'm pretty lenient on voice acting as long as it's not horrible or annoying

The main reason why I usually watch subs over dubs is because of Crunchyroll, but I'll usually watch the dub when they have it.

I exactly follow you pattern but I'd like to add one thing. I personally think that comedy anime are better in sub cuz translating jokes is really hard. The translated jokes might not be bad at all but in several cases the joke changes completely.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 8:58 PM

Mar 2019
I prefer watching in subs because I realized awhile ago that I'm slowly learning the language because I usually watch in subs and I'm usually terrible at learning foreign languages so I need all the help imprinting the sentences and words on my brain as I can get.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2019 9:03 PM

Oct 2012
Well, it depends. I usually watch the anime subbed if I really really like it. Then re watch the dub so I don't miss any.
Not every dub is good. I used to hate dub until very recently. Maybe new ones now are a bit better.
Now I sometimes even compare both then decide.

There was a time very recently tho when I was watching Inu x Boku SS I preferred Ririchiyo's English voice over the Japanese one. Yet, I liked Soushi's Japanese voice over the English one. Which was a first for me to like the dub over the sub at least for that one character. I couldn't choose... so I ended with the dub cuz the sub had horrible quality only 360p -_- excuse u but I watch 720p+

Come on here tell me you wouldn't want to hear Levi's voice acting in English?
Dub is fun sometimes for that re watching value it's worth exploring too.
Jun 11, 2019 9:20 PM

May 2009
Now just why do people have to word things in incendiary ways, riling up emotions in the process...?

For starters:

DaCraziGuy said:
Imo there are 5 reasons for watching a dubbed anime:

1 - The subbed version has a much worse video quality.
2 - You are still a kid.
3 - You are pretty blind.
4 - You don't know how to read well.
5 - You are dumb.
Extra: It's one of those really weird and rare shows with an actuall decent dub and it can be compare to the original (2.5% aprox).
Speak for yourself; I tend (albeit not always) to get a more immersive experience from a dub.

And for the follow-up:
DaCraziGuy said:
4 - you are dumb
1 - accuracy to the Japanese script isn't as important as a cohesive, fluent script, for me.
2 - I don't know Japanese.

and lol at the last reasons in both lists

obvious_troll said:
Just read my signature first line.
Sucks for you; I disabled signature display. :D
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 11, 2019 9:23 PM

Sep 2017
obvious_troll said:
Animxee said:
I wish there a vote for "Both" because personally I like both. I'd rather not choose one over the other. Sure there are a few bad dubs out there, but I find most of them to be good. So I can't really vote because I like both of them

Same here. actually I didn't vote. Also I believe I am one of the few people that can switch from dub to sub or vice versa and not get annoyed by voice actor changing. At max it takes 1~2 episodes to get used to. For MHA I jumped from dub to sub since simul dub ended. I didn't feel anything odd during and after the transaction.

I haven't watched the MHA dub but I have heard parts of it and honestly it sounds really good! The VA sound like they have fun when doing so, and it makes me happy. Also yea switching from dub to sub doesn't bother me either. I had to switch to sub for Fairytail so I could be on par with it, but I wouldn't hesitate to go back to dub!
Jun 11, 2019 9:24 PM

May 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Now just why do people have to word things in incendiary ways, riling up emotions in the process...?

For starters:

DaCraziGuy said:

2 - You are still a kid.
5 - You are dumb.
Extra: It's one of those really weird and rare shows with an actuall decent dub and it can be compare to the original (2.5% aprox).
Speak for yourself; I tend (albeit not always) to get a more immersive experience from a dub.

And for the follow-up:
DaCraziGuy said:
4 - you are dumb
1 - accuracy to the Japanese script isn't as important as a cohesive, fluent script, for me.

obvious_troll said:

It says "Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever" but I wasn't referring to you anyways.
What I find weird that people say they don't watch dub but still say dubs are still the same(i.e of shit quality). When and what was the last dub you watched?
obvious_trollJun 11, 2019 9:29 PM
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 9:27 PM
Mar 2018
obvious_troll said:
If you think Code Geass(Original dub) was good then this only proves that what dub hits for a person is subjective.

How can you not find Johnny Bosch Young good?
Jun 11, 2019 9:36 PM

May 2019
Steiner1411 said:
obvious_troll said:
If you think Code Geass(Original dub) was good then this only proves that what dub hits for a person is subjective.

How can you not find Johnny Bosch Young good?
Actually when I was watching Code Geass I though man this dub is amazing. After that I watched Glass Reflection Review in which he said the dub is so so. I couln't understand what he said until I saw a side by side comparison of dub and sub. Dub wasn't horrible but sub was more livelier. Also in dubs they get MC right most of the time it is the supporting cast they tend to skimp on.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 9:41 PM

Jun 2019
obvious_troll said:
That is not always the case. Loss in translation still happens in subs.

Yes, but I addressed this. Rarely can things be translated literally 1:1 from one language to another and most sub watchers I've heard from understand this fully, but there isn't anywhere near the same prevalence of random stuff stemming from localizations crudely thrown in there in the way that seems to infect dubs.

obvious_troll said:
Though you can argue that for sub they can literally translate everything and have no issue. For dubs it is hard. You have to match syllables and context. Like in Steins;Gate main character tries to speak broken English but fails. That joke can be translated directly to sub but would not work in dub at all.

Context yes, but I wish they wouldn't bother trying to match the syllables to mouth movements. To some it might be a visual annoyance or distraction, but I consider it vastly preferable to have more directly translated dialogue than worry about what's going on with the characters' lips.

obvious_troll said:
Also lets say you are watching dbz. DBZ isn't that deep or has cultural meaning behind when compared to shows like samurai champloo. So dub would completely work for dbz like shows and may or may not work shows like samurai champloo.

I can't speak about Dragonball Z in an informed manner because I've only seen a tiny handful of episodes of it 15 years ago, but I will say that I think the only context in which dubbing could work for me is when:

A) It's for entertainment aimed at a children's audience that effectively wants to blend in with Western animation and not distinguish itself

B) Something I watched as a kid or for the first time at any age in dub. For me, that was mostly as a kid and mostly before I knew there even was a thing called anime.

These two points often coincide. To this day, the only dubs I can watch and not cringe are for the original Pokemon Indigo League episodes I started watching at 8 years-old and Spirited Away, my first Ghibli and anime film in general. With the latter, I was in high school the first time I saw it and by that point, knew what anime was and that the film was Japanese, but happened to see it first in dub.

Like I said in my first post though, I can understand the argument for it more if the anime has an American setting or setting of another English-speaking country (even just generic West/old Europe isn't as bad), but I abhor when they want to shove Southern country colloquialisms and surfer dude slang on people that are supposed to be 16th century shrine miko in Hokkaido or something outlandishly incongruent like that. And it seems far too frequent an occurrence in the dubbing world. Localizations kill the art and even kill the entertainment value as something I can care enough to be engaged in, in my opinion.
WatchTillTandavaJun 11, 2019 9:44 PM
Jun 11, 2019 9:42 PM
Jul 2018
Because Japanese voice actresses sound incredibly obnoxious. Take Kanon 2009 for instance: the girls in the Japanese version sound like 5 year old girls. How does nobody find this annoying? Whereas in English dubbed anime, girls sound way older than they are, which is hot.
Also, is it really that hard to understand that many people prefer consuming media in their native tongue, because it's the language they're most familiar with?
Jun 11, 2019 9:44 PM

Jul 2016
obvious_troll said:
Optigisa said:
The only English dub I hated and switched over to sub because of it was the School Days dub, it was so atrocious to listen to.

Other than that, I would rather read manga than watch subbed. Reading at my own pace is a better option, and ever since I started with manga, I have found that reading them is more enjoyable than watching a subbed Anime.

So yeah, Dubbed > Subbed

JoJo sub is amazing. Dub is good but sub is iconic lvl.

Dub does have ZA WARDUDO or Road Roller da
Same goes for Joseph Engrish.

Was never interested in Jojo, sorry.
Jun 11, 2019 9:47 PM

May 2019
WatchTillTandava said:
obvious_troll said:
That is not always the case. Loss in translation still happens in subs.

Yes, but I addressed this. Rarely can things be translated literally 1:1 from one language to another and most sub watchers I've heard from understand this fully, but there isn't anywhere near the same prevalence of random stuff stemming from localizations crudely thrown in there in the way that seems to infect dubs.

obvious_troll said:
Though you can argue that for sub they can literally translate everything and have no issue. For dubs it is hard. You have to match syllables and context. Like in Steins;Gate main character tries to speak broken English but fails. That joke can be translated directly to sub but would not work in dub at all.

Context yes, but I wish they wouldn't bother trying to match the syllables to mouth movements. To some it might be a visual annoyance or distraction, but I consider it vastly preferable to have more directly translated dialogue than worry about what's going on with the characters' lips.

obvious_troll said:
Also lets say you are watching dbz. DBZ isn't that deep or has cultural meaning behind when compared to shows like samurai champloo. So dub would completely work for dbz like shows and may or may not work shows like samurai champloo.

I can't speak about Dragonball Z in an informed manner because I've only seen a tiny handful of episodes of it 15 years ago, but I will say that I think the only context in which dubbing could work for me is when:

A) It's for entertainment aimed at a children's audience that effectively wants to blend in with Western animation and not distinguish itself

B) Something I watched as a kid or for the first time at any age in dub. For me, that was mostly as a kid and mostly before I knew there even was a thing called anime.

These two points often coincide. To this day, the only dubs I can watch and not cringe are for the original Pokemon Indigo League episodes I started watching at 8 years-old and Spirited Away, my first Ghibli and anime film in general. With the latter, I was in high school the first time I saw it and by that point, knew what anime was and that the film was Japanese, but happened to see it first in dub.

Like I said in my first post though, I can understand the argument for it more if the anime has an American setting or setting of another English-speaking country (even just generic West/old Europe isn't as bad), but I abhor when they want to shove Southern country colloquialisms and surfer dude slang on people that are supposed to be 16th century shrine miko in Hokkaido or something outlandishly incongruent like that. And it seems far too frequent an occurrence in the dubbing world. Localizations kill the art and even kill the entertainment value as something I can care enough to be engaged in, in my opinion.

Fair enough. It makes sense that anime that have western theme or maybe general theme look fine if dub but historical and cultural anime are better in native language.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 9:51 PM

May 2009
HopefulNihilist said:
Whereas in English dubbed anime, girls sound way older than they are, which is hot.
Sidenote: for some reason I sometimes wonder if I like the art of girls in anime series from the 00s on average more than the art of girls in anime series from the 10s, and if this is the case, whether it's because the girls in anime series from the 00s on average look more mature.
Jun 11, 2019 9:51 PM

Dec 2016
In some cases, yes if the directing is good.
In other cases, no if the voice acting is terrible or they completely rewriting the script compared to the original one, to the point where it loses meaning. Even sometimes adding things that were never there to begin with.

The last time I got hyped for a dub was persona 4 the animation but I still do give dubs a chance if I sound alright.
LazyChaserJun 11, 2019 9:57 PM
Jun 11, 2019 9:53 PM

May 2019
GlennMagusHarvey said:
HopefulNihilist said:
Whereas in English dubbed anime, girls sound way older than they are, which is hot.
Sidenote: for some reason I sometimes wonder if I like the art of girls in anime series from the 00s on average more than the art of girls in anime series from the 10s, and if this is the case, whether it's because the girls in anime series from the 00s on average look more mature.

That 00s design you are talking about kinda died/ become unpopular. But I agree.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 12, 2019 12:24 AM

Aug 2012
Each language has its particularities which do not translate well so subs are generally more accurate. On the other hand it takes more to read subs and if you want to watch an anime at 2x for instance you pretty much have to go with dubs.
Jun 12, 2019 3:35 AM
Jul 2018
90 percent of the time japanese dub is good. But weebs always make it like that engllish dub sucks so much that people who watch english dub also gotta be vocal about how english dub is good. I don't think english dub is bad. They can be really good sometimes. For example I think Lelouch sounds better in english dub rather than japanese. But most of the time english dub can't do as good job as japanese ones does in terms of gasping, screaming etc.

So I think japanese dub is better than english dub although I'm not a fan of japanese language.
removed-userJun 12, 2019 3:40 AM
Jun 12, 2019 3:39 AM

Jul 2011
Idk the only anime I've watched was the Devilman OVA with the english dub because it was hilirious but I'm actually more used to German dubs, I've grown up with them and I only watch anime with dubs when it comes to my childhood anime

Jun 12, 2019 4:14 AM

Jan 2011
FMmatron said:
Not a eng dub hater, in fact there were some instances where I the watched the English or German dub and I liked it, but then there are also hilariously bad dubs

>Implying this example is bad
Please, it's amazing.
Jun 12, 2019 4:28 AM

Nov 2016
ReaperCreeper said:
FMmatron said:
Not a eng dub hater, in fact there were some instances where I the watched the English or German dub and I liked it, but then there are also hilariously bad dubs

>Implying this example is bad
Please, it's amazing.

Yeah, amazingly bad :P That's a feat in itself or maybe it's done on purpose to fuck with everyone, which would be even more amazing, who knows

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 12, 2019 4:43 AM

Aug 2018
SwatKat1990 said:
This topic has been ran into the dirt time and time again... I'm a dub person because subs get in the way of my viewing experience.

Sorry, couldn't find in the anime section :/
Jun 12, 2019 4:54 AM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:
Zawarudo0079 said:
Dub or Sub ?
I actually watch both dubs and subs, but when you force a dichotomous choice like this, then I'll pick dubs in my native language since I tend to get more out of them.

Zawarudo0079 said:
I don't want to be seen as an elitist but I've recently rewatched the first episodes of Fairy Tail in French, It was awful. Then I decided to change the language to Japanese and it was WAY BETTER.
I had the reverse experience with Asterisk War and with Four Rhythm. When I first watched them with Japanese audio, they were okay, but when I rewatched them with English audio, I got a lot more enjoyment (as well as little details) out of the experience.

I can't speak for French dubs, nor even for English dubs that I haven't watched. Also FWIW sometimes I choose Japanese audio over English audio (such as in the case of Chaika and Kannazuki no Miko).

Zawarudo0079 said:
First Point
Since i've been into the anime realm, i haven't seen any anime in Dub, not because I hate it but because i feel like watching in original language for any given show or movie is way better to understand the vision of the creators. For example in the Matrix movies, the french dubbed version changed the final words for one character which ruined the ending.
Why grown people keep watching in dub? Is it because they can't adapt to reading subtitles? Lazyness?
Well, for starters, I disagree with the opinion that watching in the original language is better. In two ways: I'm not necessarily concerned with "understanding the vision of the creators" as much as I simply want a coherent story that I can enjoy; I can read up on the creators' vision and appreciate that later, and that's something I like to do, but I believe the work should stand on its own. And (perhaps more importantly) in my opinion the best way to understand the experience of a person who natively speaks a given language, without learning that language itself, is to get the meaning of their experiences, rather than merely the script to those experiences.

It's not because I can't read subtitles; I mentioned that I watch both subs and dubs. (Occasionally, at the same time, as in I have the dub audio going and a different sub track going.)

It's that I want to be able to hear the voices actually reciting the script. Simply reading the words in text and having non-understood speaking sounds accompany them is an acceptable experience, but when I get to hear the voices, their lines have the potential to be far more powerful, far more memorable, far more impactful. For me, a dub can bring the story to life more effectively than a sub can. (Doesn't mean a sub can't succeed at this, but it does mean that I'm more likely to very much enjoy a dub than to very much enjoy a sub.

Zawarudo0079 said:
Are US voice actors really good in anime? I know that most of the original American TV Cartoons are dubbed really well (Transformers Beast War, Justice League, ...) and way better than french dubs. But I feel like english dub sucks compare to original japanese voice actors, every time I see an english dub clip I cringe a lot, like a lot. Everything feels off ( Hello Persona 4 )
I've come to notice that some of the US voice actors are not professional actors in the first place.
Whether they are professionals doesn't really matter to me, as long as their work is effective, which I think it by and large is.

I think they don't make as much impact for you because (1) they're not in your native language (which I presume is French), while they are for me, and (2) you may already have ideas of how anime characters "should" sound and dub voices may not match those ideas. (For example, maybe you enjoy the squeaky cute girl voice that shows up more often in Japanese voice acting. Meanwhile, that trope happens to be not something I really like. This is of course a matter of personal taste.)

Zawarudo0079 said:
Does Japanese voice actors seems good because it's another language?
I've heard some western anime fans say they enjoy anime because it's different from their usual experiences; for them, it may very well be the case that Japanese sounds better because it's foreign to them and thus different. (This is not my perspective on anime, but obviously different fans have different tastes.)

GlennMagusHarvey said:
[=Zawarudo0079 message=57785132]Does Anime dub fans have bad taste? Does the industry think of the US public as retards?
These two questions presume that (American English) dubs are somehow inherently "bad", which they are not. Rather, it's simply a matter of preference.

You can get different things out of a dub vs. a sub. Which things people value more depends on the person in question.

I should written that in another way, it was just random question to add to the topic.

Your point was quite interesting regarding having the script while watching a show, It happened to me back when I was a kid and was learning english by myself.
Jun 12, 2019 5:01 AM

Aug 2018
ISOQuorra said:
Zawarudo0079 said:
First Point
Since I've been into the anime realm, i haven't seen any anime in Dub, not because I hate it but because i feel like watching in original language for any given show or movie is way better to understand the vision of the creators. For example in the Matrix movies, the french dubbed version changed the final words for one character which ruined the ending.
Why grown people keep watching in dub? Is it because they can't adapt to reading subtitles? Laziness?

Second Point
Are US voice actors really good in anime? Does Japanese voice actors seems good because it's another language? Does Anime dub fans have bad taste? I just don't understand why there are so many dubs and fans for that.

Well first of all, there's nothing wrong with wanting to hear a piece of media in your own native language. I don't see how that could be seen as bad taste in any way whatsoever. Plus I doubt that people growing up with anime would even care about the quality of the voice actors they were hearing. Also how come it's so unexpected for there to be fans of dubbed media? It makes perfect sense for people to enjoy that; some people just don't like hearing things in a different language. I just don't see that as a valid argument against dubs.

I do, however, understand your first point about wanting to enjoy something in the original language. And you've admitted that you don't hate dubs (at least not explicitly), so I'm going to believe you don't have any strong personal reasons for preferring subs, other than the reason you have stated.

But as for which is better? That honestly depends on the person.

For those that prefer dubbed over subbed, they have their justifications: as previously stated - not wanting to watch something in a different language. I see this one as the most reasonable. There's no need to push someone to be comfortable hearing things in a different language. Not wanting to read. You mentioned this one and while I don't agree it's due to laziness I won't deny that it is easier to process. But I don't really see this as a strong reason for dubs unless you are someone who can't actually read that fast or that well, or if the show in question has a lot of fast-paced action. Not liking the sound of the Japanese voice actors. This relates back to my first point but whether it's something like actual tone of the voice or something more subtle like delivery I think this is a valid point as well. You can argue whether or not the voice fits the character design or whatever but the difference in voice is the reason I can't switch languages mid-series. The dubbed cast is better. Purely subjective argument, so it doesn't have much weight to me.

Again, those that prefer subbed also have their points: as you stated - wanting to enjoy something in the original language. This is fine as long as it's from a standpoint of wanting to understand the original version, instead of a place of superiority. The original language is better. I don't accept this, as it's as subjective as can be. You can say things like better delivery and more personality if you want, but you can't just say something is better just because it is. Not liking/hearing the dub. I honestly don't understand this one. You talk to people and go about your life speaking and hearing your own native language. Why is it terrible all of a sudden to hear in a TV show? I get it if the performance isn't that good for a show or something, but you can't generalize that to every single show. It's more accurate than translated dubs. I understand this one. Anything that is dubbed has to be translated, and things are sometimes written or delivered differently, not to mention things might end up being changed or omitted for cultural reasons (though, unless you can understand the native language flawlessly, subtitles are still translations, albeit more accurate ones). Dubs aren't readily available. I'm behind this one, as it's the reason I prefer subbed for airing anime.

I think the only thing you can do is say which you prefer, but not which is objectively better. They both have their merits as well as their flaws.

Your answer on the subject has enlightened me, thank you
Jun 12, 2019 5:05 AM

Feb 2019
As with most things it is hard to generalise if subs or dubs are better, it very much depends on the series and the subject.

Argument for subs:
1. They are often a more direct translation of the original script. Japanese is totally different to English meaning most sentences will be different lengths once translated. If you are dubbing then your dialogue has to be the same length as the Japanese to match the lip movements, so changes in the script have to be made.
2. Some Japanese doesn't translate well. In particular honourifics such as -chan, -kun etc. which can make a slight change to how a character is perceived. Mostly for slice of life series I will stick with subs because they contain lots of contemporary slang and informal dialogue which is just easier to read.

Argument against subs:
1. They distract from the action. I am well used to subs now after watching lots of subbed anime and also being a fan of world cinema- I'd say 20% of most TV and movies I watch are subbed. However even for me sometimes you miss out on visual action whilst you are reading.
2. The speed of dialogue. Japanese dialogue in anime is very different to real life. The speed of dialogue is increased to make it easier to animate mouth movements. This is parodied in Excel Saga and even more in Puni Puni Poemi. A lot of the time in a particularly dialogue-heavy sequence it is difficult to keep up with the subs. I originally watched Ghost in the Shell subbed and had to rewind quite often where the Puppetmaster is speaking at the end. I watched it a second time dubbed and had a much easier time.
3. The number of speakers. Sometimes there will be more than 1 person speaking at a time and it is impossible to keep track of both sets of subs. Add sign captions onto that and you have a very busy screen.

Dependent arguments:
1. The voice. The voice can make or break a character and this can be very different between English dubs and the original Japanese, especially with female characters. Take Yoko from Gurren Lagann as an example. In the Japanese version she has quite a high pitched young sounding voice. In the English version she has quite a low voice and it makes her character seem older and more confident. It is totally subjective to which is better and I personally think the English dub matches her character much better than the Japanese.
2. The setting. This might just be a weird thing that I have but I like the language to match the place where it is set. If it is set in a Japanese highschool then it is weird if the characters are speaking English because it is such a uniquely Japanese setting. On the other hand if the anime is something like Riding Bean which is set in America it is strange that they don't speak English. Also I think the language should match the character's name. Take Spike Spiegel as an example. His surname is not slightly Japanese so it seems more natural that he would speak English.

One extra not-serious point- occasional with subs you get to hear the Japanese say English words which is super funny. My favourite from Excel Saga- "gorgeous, goregous" translates as "gawwjuss, gawwjussu".
Jun 12, 2019 5:07 AM
Nov 2017
It depends on th anime. I like subbed for almost every single anime, but that's just because almost all of anime just fit with Japanese voice actor and Japanese style. But for anime like Kuroshitsuji, Steins Gate and Code Geass, I prefer the dubbed more. My first language is not even english, but the English voice actor for those anime really did a good job.
Jun 12, 2019 5:08 AM

Aug 2018
Animxee said:
I wish there a vote for "Both" because personally I like both. I'd rather not choose one over the other. Sure there are a few bad dubs out there, but I find most of them to be good. So I can't really vote because I like both of them

Didn't originally planned to make a poll, I wanted to try it ( it's my first topic on MaL)
Jun 12, 2019 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
Because Japanese voice actresses sound incredibly obnoxious. Take Kanon 2009 for instance: the girls in the Japanese version sound like 5 year old girls. How does nobody find this annoying? Whereas in English dubbed anime, girls sound way older than they are, which is hot.
Also, is it really that hard to understand that many people prefer consuming media in their native tongue, because it's the language they're most familiar with?

They may sound older in the dubs but they talk like 5 years old too, swearing and cursing words not existing in the original.
Why cant English use words like "curses" instead of "shit" or "damn you" instead of "f**k you"? Way too edgy.
Jun 12, 2019 6:05 AM

Apr 2014
watch with the volume at 0% and just read the subs :thumbs-up:
Jun 12, 2019 6:17 AM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
Most of the time, I'm doing other things (namely work or family stuff) when watching anime, so I prefer being able to look away if I need to, without having to pause and restart constantly. English dubs are obviously better for that in my case.

Also, it's fun to watch new stuff and recognize actors from other series, which I'm pretty terrible at doing with the original Japanese cast. Like, when Monica Rial or Brittney Karbowski shows up, I'm like yay dis gon be gud

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Jun 12, 2019 7:18 AM
Jul 2018
petran79 said:
HopefulNihilist said:

They may sound older in the dubs but they talk like 5 years old too, swearing and cursing words not existing in the original.
Why cant English use words like "curses" instead of "shit" or "damn you" instead of "f**k you"? Way too edgy.

The English dubs I watch rarely have cursing, though.
Jun 12, 2019 7:35 AM

May 2019
GERXjakobson said:
I watched a lot of Eng Dubs and they are not that good. The latest experience
of a dub was the first Episode of YuYu Hakusho I saw because the Dub is
pretty hyped and I thought it was gross for ears and brain and switched to the Sub
version immediately.

Try watching a dub show that came after 1998? Why 1998 you ask. It is because Cowboy Bebop aired in 1998 and it was the first amazing dub. That show gave other actors a reference so that they can improve voice acting. Nowadays almost all dub are watchable and most of them are pretty good.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 12, 2019 12:04 PM

Jun 2019
HopefulNihilist said:

I suppose what one's actual preferences for the opposite sex, their age, behavior, and mannerisms are plays a large role in this, and those tastes are also partially informed by a viewer's own age.

I don't watch anime or any show really for hot-sounding characters, but I definitely don't find "older" hotter by default; if anything, it would be the opposite and younger would be hotter - the beauty and freedom of youth is often idealized (obviously I'm talking about those who have at least reached some level of sexual development, not pre-pubescent children). To the extent that I find age plays a factor in determining hotness, I may have found older hotter when I was 14 but not now that I'm in my 20s.
Jun 12, 2019 12:11 PM
Jul 2018
WatchTillTandava said:
HopefulNihilist said:

I suppose what one's actual preferences for the opposite sex, their age, behavior, and mannerisms are plays a large role in this, and those tastes are also partially informed by a viewer's own age.

I don't watch anime or any show really for hot-sounding characters, but I definitely don't find "older" hotter by default; if anything, it would be the opposite and younger would be hotter - the beauty and freedom of youth is often idealized (obviously I'm talking about those who have at least reached some level of sexual development, not pre-pubescent children). To the extent that I find age plays a factor in determining hotness, I may have found older hotter when I was 14 but not now that I'm in my 20s.

But that's the thing though: so many female anime characters in Japanese sound like pre-pubescent children.
Jun 12, 2019 12:20 PM

Jun 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
WatchTillTandava said:

But that's the thing though: so many female anime characters in Japanese sound like pre-pubescent children.

From the shows I've watched they mostly just sound like a heightened version of a lot of Japanese women speaking in real life who often come across to Western ears by the way many of them compose themselves as slightly more delicate, softer-spoken, feminine, and younger than their actual biological age than their Western counterparts, and many men find that an attractive and compelling feature; not literal children though. I don't watch any real zany over-the-top comedy or ecchi series though, so that may be the case in there, but not in more serious dramatic shows.
Jun 12, 2019 12:56 PM

May 2009
WatchTillTandava said:
HopefulNihilist said:

From the shows I've watched they mostly just sound like a heightened version of a lot of Japanese women speaking in real life who often come across to Western ears by the way many of them compose themselves as slightly more delicate, softer-spoken, feminine, and younger than their actual biological age than their Western counterparts, and many men find that an attractive and compelling feature; not literal children though. I don't watch any real zany over-the-top comedy or ecchi series though, so that may be the case in there, but not in more serious dramatic shows.
Speaking for myself, I simply prefer them speaking in a more normal tone of voice.

An obscure but particularly pertinent example: Hannah Weber, from Element Hunters. She's a pop idol, and she sounds like a cute pop idol when she's singing. Later, she actually shows up "for real" in the show, and I was quite amused and in a way delighted when she DIDN'T have an affectedly-cutesy voice all the time but actually had an "everyday" voice that she used. (Amusingly, her seeming change from kawaii to mundane was regarded as a disappointment by another character who was a fan of hers, though this was less about her voice and more about her attitude of disdain toward him and his colleagues.)

And she's like, 11 years old. If a 11-year-old girl character can have a normal everyday voice, then anyone else older can.
Jun 12, 2019 12:56 PM

Nov 2015
There are things I consider for dubs.

If I'm busy and want to do chores while watching anime, then I prefer to watch in dub. But if I can focus all my attention on the anime, than sub.

I like watching it with dubs if it suits the setting of the show. I usually read online somewhere about the voice actors, and then opinions from people who have watched it. People say it's a good dub and it adds more? I'll watch dub.

My siblings only watch dub, so whenever I rewatch/watch anime with them, I watch it in dub too.

Most of the anime I've seen are a mix of both because of these reasons. Some episodes I've seen in sub, and some in dub. It's just more convenient for me.

Td;lr: both.
Jun 12, 2019 3:35 PM

Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
DaCraziGuy said:

4 - you are dumb

1. That is complicated because in dub you have to match syllables and context. Like in Steins;Gate main character tries to speak broken English but fails. That joke can be translated directly to sub but would not work in dub at all.
2. Okay
3. Yes. Just watch NGE movie dub or watch new Code Geass movie and compare them to original series. They are a lot livelier. I straight up hated NGE old dub and Code Geass was also so so. Just shouting what you said early won't make it come true.
4. Really is that the best you can say? I disagree so must be stupid and dumb. Just read my signature first line.

1 - That is my point, in dub YOU HAVE to change stuff, in sub, you rarely do it.
3 - Having a "livier" in a dark atmosphere is not good at all... besides, they suck by themselves... they hurt and they don't fit the characters at all.
4 - It's not the best, but I already stated that in point 5 of my first comment and I'm not trying to fight.
Jun 12, 2019 3:45 PM

Aug 2018
GlennMagusHarvey said:

For starters:

DaCraziGuy said:

2 - You are still a kid.
5 - You are dumb.

And for the follow-up:
DaCraziGuy said:
4 - you are dumb

obvious_troll said:
Well, if you have that problem you should try to practice reading a bit more... the last time I watched a dub by my own will was at 13 yo, I compared a lot of dubs vs subs and I couldn't believe how they butchered the scripts (Not only in anime, in every media happens the same).

Accuracy is the most important thing, especially if you like shows with dense dialogs as me. Having them butchered, having a totally different meaning and sometimes, even completly changed is a fking sin.

The dubs are a lot more restricted, that is why they have a huge cost in quality... in subs you don't have almost any restriction except "making the sentence have sense". In dubs you have the timing, the expressions, words and language... besides that almost every "dubber" in every language tend to be worse than the original.

Jun 12, 2019 3:48 PM

Aug 2018
Steiner1411 said:
DaCraziGuy said:
No, you become a weeb when you say some random japanesse word in every sentence

Exactly, this is what I'm talking about, you wont see dub watchers doing this
But you probably could watch them running like Naruto or eating instant ramen (aka cancer)
Jun 12, 2019 4:34 PM
Dec 2017
I didn't vote in the poll because I watch both dub and sub anime and don't prefer one over the other all the time. Anyway, yes, some English dubs ARE that good. Sometimes, I wait for the dubs to get released because I might've watched season 1 of an anime in English dub and just what to hear the same voices again for the next season.

Also, some English dubs might be bad but not all of them are. The best English dubs, in my opinion, are the ones for My Hero Academia, Mob Psycho 100, Seven Deadly Sins, Dragon Ball, and Fairy Tail. There are many other good ones out there though! Because of this, people can expect for more good (or at least decent) dubs to come out.

There's also just the usual stuff like not wanting to read subtitles or being able to at least listen to it and understand what the characters are saying.
Jun 12, 2019 5:33 PM

May 2009
DaCraziGuy said:
Well, if you have that problem you should try to practice reading a bit more...
I can read just fine. Like I mentioned in various other posts, such as this one, I watch both subs and dubs.

DaCraziGuy said:
the last time I watched a dub by my own will was at 13 yo, I compared a lot of dubs vs subs and I couldn't believe how they butchered the scripts (Not only in anime, in every media happens the same).

Accuracy is the most important thing, especially if you like shows with dense dialogs as me. Having them butchered, having a totally different meaning and sometimes, even completly changed is a fking sin.
To me, word-for-word accuracy to the Japanese script is not as important as internal consistency and flow within the English script. In my experience, the best way to achieve proper consistency and flow is to communicate the meaning and feeling intended by the original script, rather than to stick slavishly to the exact translation of the words (not to mention that the original script itself could be lackluster). One could say it's a different kind of accuracy -- one that focuses on the big picture and the functions of the words in context.

DaCraziGuy said:
besides that almost every "dubber" in every language tend to be worse than the original.
How so?
Jun 12, 2019 5:47 PM

Jan 2018
Meh, Cowboy Bebop and Baccano's English dubs are the only two good ones out there, imo. Actually, I'll take it a step further to say that they're vastly superior to the original (Baccano's original audio is hilariously bad; Japanese folks trying to speak with accents akin to those of the prohibition era U.S. = fail). But with these exceptions aside, I just really don't enjoy dubs for the most part, as the dialogue often sounds forced and unnatural.

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Pages (6) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» List of characters you want to shoot

dumbandinsane - Today

17 by dumbandinsane »»
1 minute ago

» angry sub only users

Yorda_trico - 2 hours ago

21 by Yorda_trico »»
7 minutes ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - 10 hours ago

13 by Lhundrup »»
11 minutes ago

» Overall, do you rate anime generously or harshly? Why? ( 1 2 3 )

Rinrinka - Apr 8

107 by Platypus900 »»
16 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

119 by Pinoffin »»
26 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.