Forum Settings
Forums

Is English dub really that good? Why do people keep being hyped over new dubbs?

New
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
Jun 11, 2019 9:44 AM

Jan 2017
Nowadays i only watch dubs of battle shounens. The voice acting might not be as good as subs but the voices of characters sound way more realistic in dubs of battle shounens. In subs they sound either too matured or too childish.

For the rest, i always prefer subs.
Jun 11, 2019 10:50 AM

Jan 2010
The last anime dub that i watch was Naruto,btw my first anime that i ever watched on the internet.The moment i found the Jap dubs i never looked back at eng dubs ever again.I just love hearing the japanese language and hearing eng dubs in anime just feels so unnatural for me.
Jun 11, 2019 11:37 AM

Mar 2014
This topic has been ran into the dirt time and time again... I'm a dub person because subs get in the way of my viewing experience.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2019 11:41 AM

Aug 2015
The first time I watch anime, it was dubbed So I don't have a problem with it, but I still prefer subbed (especially if my fav seiyui is in it).
Though I never really hyped about dubs, I can understand some of the hype since I'm also looking forward to Cells at Work dubs since the PV looks nice! Maybe you'll feel it too if you find the one seems nice to you.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
Jun 11, 2019 11:51 AM
Oct 2017
Depends on the show. Some dubs are good while others aren't.
Shows like Death Note, Code Geass, Tokyo Ghoul, Steins;Gate, etc all have really good dubs.
Jun 11, 2019 1:12 PM

May 2009
Zawarudo0079 said:
Dub or Sub ?
I actually watch both dubs and subs, but when you force a dichotomous choice like this, then I'll pick dubs in my native language since I tend to get more out of them.

Zawarudo0079 said:
I don't want to be seen as an elitist but I've recently rewatched the first episodes of Fairy Tail in French, It was awful. Then I decided to change the language to Japanese and it was WAY BETTER.
I had the reverse experience with Asterisk War and with Four Rhythm. When I first watched them with Japanese audio, they were okay, but when I rewatched them with English audio, I got a lot more enjoyment (as well as little details) out of the experience.

I can't speak for French dubs, nor even for English dubs that I haven't watched. Also FWIW sometimes I choose Japanese audio over English audio (such as in the case of Chaika and Kannazuki no Miko).

Zawarudo0079 said:
First Point
Since i've been into the anime realm, i haven't seen any anime in Dub, not because I hate it but because i feel like watching in original language for any given show or movie is way better to understand the vision of the creators. For example in the Matrix movies, the french dubbed version changed the final words for one character which ruined the ending.
Why grown people keep watching in dub? Is it because they can't adapt to reading subtitles? Lazyness?
Well, for starters, I disagree with the opinion that watching in the original language is better. In two ways: I'm not necessarily concerned with "understanding the vision of the creators" as much as I simply want a coherent story that I can enjoy; I can read up on the creators' vision and appreciate that later, and that's something I like to do, but I believe the work should stand on its own. And (perhaps more importantly) in my opinion the best way to understand the experience of a person who natively speaks a given language, without learning that language itself, is to get the meaning of their experiences, rather than merely the script to those experiences.

It's not because I can't read subtitles; I mentioned that I watch both subs and dubs. (Occasionally, at the same time, as in I have the dub audio going and a different sub track going.)

It's that I want to be able to hear the voices actually reciting the script. Simply reading the words in text and having non-understood speaking sounds accompany them is an acceptable experience, but when I get to hear the voices, their lines have the potential to be far more powerful, far more memorable, far more impactful. For me, a dub can bring the story to life more effectively than a sub can. (Doesn't mean a sub can't succeed at this, but it does mean that I'm more likely to very much enjoy a dub than to very much enjoy a sub.

Zawarudo0079 said:
Are US voice actors really good in anime? I know that most of the original American TV Cartoons are dubbed really well (Transformers Beast War, Justice League, ...) and way better than french dubs. But I feel like english dub sucks compare to original japanese voice actors, every time I see an english dub clip I cringe a lot, like a lot. Everything feels off ( Hello Persona 4 )
I've come to notice that some of the US voice actors are not professional actors in the first place.
Whether they are professionals doesn't really matter to me, as long as their work is effective, which I think it by and large is.

I think they don't make as much impact for you because (1) they're not in your native language (which I presume is French), while they are for me, and (2) you may already have ideas of how anime characters "should" sound and dub voices may not match those ideas. (For example, maybe you enjoy the squeaky cute girl voice that shows up more often in Japanese voice acting. Meanwhile, that trope happens to be not something I really like. This is of course a matter of personal taste.)

Zawarudo0079 said:
Does Japanese voice actors seems good because it's another language?
I've heard some western anime fans say they enjoy anime because it's different from their usual experiences; for them, it may very well be the case that Japanese sounds better because it's foreign to them and thus different. (This is not my perspective on anime, but obviously different fans have different tastes.)

Zawarudo0079 said:
Does Anime dub fans have bad taste? Does the industry think of the US public as retards?
These two questions presume that (American English) dubs are somehow inherently "bad", which they are not. Rather, it's simply a matter of preference.

You can get different things out of a dub vs. a sub. Which things people value more depends on the person in question.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
Jun 11, 2019 1:22 PM

May 2009
MadHobbit2 said:
with more of a focus on incorporating Japanese pronunciation of names, more emotive character portrayals, and more accurate script translations
Ironically, I sometimes wonder if dubs that take more liberties with name pronunciation and script accuracy might sometimes be better at bringing a story to life. While script accuracy is a pretty default demand everyone says is important, one cannot deny the success of stuff like Ghost Stories, Samurai Pizza Cats, and (for a much more prominent example) the dub of the first season of Pokémon.

Very often the flow and timing in a scene is key to its impact, and I think dubs that aim for better flow may be more effective. So I don't share the opinion that dubs from the 00s were bad; I'm quite fond of at least a few of them.

Jun 11, 2019 1:46 PM

Nov 2015
Zawarudo0079 said:
First Point
Since I've been into the anime realm, i haven't seen any anime in Dub, not because I hate it but because i feel like watching in original language for any given show or movie is way better to understand the vision of the creators. For example in the Matrix movies, the french dubbed version changed the final words for one character which ruined the ending.
Why grown people keep watching in dub? Is it because they can't adapt to reading subtitles? Laziness?

Second Point
Are US voice actors really good in anime? Does Japanese voice actors seems good because it's another language? Does Anime dub fans have bad taste? I just don't understand why there are so many dubs and fans for that.

Well first of all, there's nothing wrong with wanting to hear a piece of media in your own native language. I don't see how that could be seen as bad taste in any way whatsoever. Plus I doubt that people growing up with anime would even care about the quality of the voice actors they were hearing. Also how come it's so unexpected for there to be fans of dubbed media? It makes perfect sense for people to enjoy that; some people just don't like hearing things in a different language. I just don't see that as a valid argument against dubs.

I do, however, understand your first point about wanting to enjoy something in the original language. And you've admitted that you don't hate dubs (at least not explicitly), so I'm going to believe you don't have any strong personal reasons for preferring subs, other than the reason you have stated.

But as for which is better? That honestly depends on the person.

For those that prefer dubbed over subbed, they have their justifications: as previously stated - not wanting to watch something in a different language. I see this one as the most reasonable. There's no need to push someone to be comfortable hearing things in a different language. Not wanting to read. You mentioned this one and while I don't agree it's due to laziness I won't deny that it is easier to process. But I don't really see this as a strong reason for dubs unless you are someone who can't actually read that fast or that well, or if the show in question has a lot of fast-paced action. Not liking the sound of the Japanese voice actors. This relates back to my first point but whether it's something like actual tone of the voice or something more subtle like delivery I think this is a valid point as well. You can argue whether or not the voice fits the character design or whatever but the difference in voice is the reason I can't switch languages mid-series. The dubbed cast is better. Purely subjective argument, so it doesn't have much weight to me.

Again, those that prefer subbed also have their points: as you stated - wanting to enjoy something in the original language. This is fine as long as it's from a standpoint of wanting to understand the original version, instead of a place of superiority. The original language is better. I don't accept this, as it's as subjective as can be. You can say things like better delivery and more personality if you want, but you can't just say something is better just because it is. Not liking/hearing the dub. I honestly don't understand this one. You talk to people and go about your life speaking and hearing your own native language. Why is it terrible all of a sudden to hear in a TV show? I get it if the performance isn't that good for a show or something, but you can't generalize that to every single show. It's more accurate than translated dubs. I understand this one. Anything that is dubbed has to be translated, and things are sometimes written or delivered differently, not to mention things might end up being changed or omitted for cultural reasons (though, unless you can understand the native language flawlessly, subtitles are still translations, albeit more accurate ones). Dubs aren't readily available. I'm behind this one, as it's the reason I prefer subbed for airing anime.

I think the only thing you can do is say which you prefer, but not which is objectively better. They both have their merits as well as their flaws.

Jun 11, 2019 1:55 PM

May 2014
I'm not against dubs, but 90% of the time i watch the original Japanese version. I've never been excited for a dub before, but for my favourite anime i'll re-watch it after it's dubbed, just out of curiosity. I don't like a lot of english dub actors anyway, i can't even tell what they're saying sometimes or they're just plain annoying.
Jun 11, 2019 1:59 PM

May 2018
There are some really good English language (American) dubs of anime out there and not only is it more convenient - being able to watch (and immerse yourself in) the animation across the whole of the screen 100% of the time, sometimes they are even better than the Japanese VA's - like in Golden Kamuy or Gamers! for example. Sometimes dub is a bit cheesy or can totally denigrate the content and gravitas of a show - like Promised Neverland for example, that's one I definitely prefer subbed. I'm moderately excited for the dub of the new Bungou Stray Dogs though and with something like AOT/SnK I'd say that the dub and sub are on a par with each other - rather fine, high calibre performances all round.

SuperGreenTeaJun 11, 2019 2:04 PM
Jun 11, 2019 2:07 PM

Oct 2013
I don't watch many dubs, but I thought some of the ones I've seen were pretty solid.

Fullmetal Alchemist/FMA Brotherhood
Black Lagoon (watched exclusively in dub)
Cowboy Bebop (watched exclusively in dub)
One Punch Man (not the best, but still better than a lot of others)
Dragon Ball Z/Dragon Ball Kai
Blue Exorcist (not the best, but still better than a lot of others)
Hamatora (not the best, but still better than a lot of others)
Persona 4 The Animation
Steins;Gate
ummm....that's all I got right now and it's all pretty subjective.
Jun 11, 2019 2:09 PM

Dec 2012
Both. It doesn't matter what language I watch it in as long as it's convincingly acted to my standards, which most modern English dubs are. The greatest advantages of a dub are that I don't have to split my attention between reading dialog and watching what is going on onscreen, I can hear the dialog instead so it's more immersive. I can also finish the episode faster because I don't need to keep pausing to read subtitles when there are fast talkers or complex conversations. The subtitles aren't there blocking part of the screen either.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

Jun 11, 2019 2:48 PM

Apr 2018
Some are fucking phenomenal (Haruhi Suzumiya for example)

It's just that a lot of em are bad lol
Jun 11, 2019 3:02 PM
Jul 2018
We are now in a state where video games over better acting, animation and voice overs than both anime, cartoon and animated movies when it comes to English dubs.

Fuchsia said:
Zawarudo0079 said:
To clarify, if you want to be a voice actor in france you have to be a real actor first, you can't build a career based on just audio acting. So most of the dubs are High end

What's the reasoning behind this?

Seems like a rather odd restriction..

This happens in other Euro countries too. Eg in my country anime and cartoon voice actors were already famous as real actors in various movies, theaters, TV series, narration in tape, vinyl and radio
This did not mean that dubs would be good but it had also to do with bad translations and lack of infrastructure in dubs. In most cases dubs would end good.

Real actors have the advantage when dubs are performed in groups like in a theater troupe. This usually happens in tv series. During movies the actor is alone. You could tell the difference between a real actor and just a voice actor in that case.

There was a case in the series Lazerion where they tried to imitate the Japanese dubbing process, eg having people shout and talk in the background or have characters talk adlib without break. It failed miserably of course and is considered as one of the worst dubs in existence. There wasn't the infrastructure and directing experience for it

Other times actors would just create a small studio where 4-5 people would dub a whole series.

Jun 11, 2019 3:10 PM

Jan 2017
I only watch subs. It is not that I hate dubs. I have become a fan of many Japanese voices actors so I would rather listen to them. I can't even name any English dub actors.
Jun 11, 2019 3:21 PM
Sep 2013
A dub is only good when the anime is set in a western setting e.g. Baccano!, Black Lagoon and Monster. Otherwise you can be quite certain that it will be inferior to the original.
Jun 11, 2019 3:34 PM

May 2009
petran79 said:
We are now in a state where video games over better acting, animation and voice overs than both anime, cartoon and animated movies when it comes to English dubs.
Ironically, I often prefer no voice acting at all in video games.
Jun 11, 2019 3:39 PM
May 2019
i dont really like dub...i dont know why but it doesnt feel the same. it was fine when i was a kid and watced yu gi oh but when i started watching anime a lot more i realised its way better when its subbed
Jun 11, 2019 3:42 PM
Sep 2013
ShockZz said:
english dubs suck, I have never heard a decent english dub; maybe that's because german dubs are actually really good idk

if someone asked me in what order I look for an anime it's usually:
  1. german dub
  2. german/english sub
  3. english dub
  4. french sub

From the few anime I watched in German the dub quality was great (SAO in particular was really good). But I still can't get over the fact that they didn't dub the well-acclaimed, mystery suspensefull thriller anime that is 'Monster' even though it is set in Germany and literally everyone speaks German.
Jun 11, 2019 3:49 PM

Nov 2018
SirRavixFourhorn said:
From the few anime I watched in German the dub quality was great (SAO in particular was really good). But I still can't get over the fact that they didn't dub the well-acclaimed, mystery suspensefull thriller anime that is 'Monster' even though it is set in Germany and literally everyone speaks German.

probably was a problem with the rights for it, they also take ages to get Bleach done and that ended years ago. So there is still hope that they may do it :D
Jun 11, 2019 3:49 PM
Jul 2018
Subs is always the best way to go except for Black Lagoon and Panty & Stocking as the English dub makes these show even better. I remember watching Steins;gate with a french dub a couple of years ago since it was actually pretty decent because every French dub on the planet is usally the cringiest and worst shit ever made.
Jun 11, 2019 4:19 PM

May 2009
SirRavixFourhorn said:
Meanwhile, there's no Spanish dub of El Cazador de la Bruja, which I think is basically set in Mexico.
Jun 11, 2019 4:29 PM

Nov 2016
Not a eng dub hater, in fact there were some instances where I the watched the English or German dub and I liked it, but then there are also hilariously bad dubs

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 11, 2019 4:57 PM

Jul 2016
The only English dub I hated and switched over to sub because of it was the School Days dub, it was so atrocious to listen to.

Other than that, I would rather read manga than watch subbed. Reading at my own pace is a better option, and ever since I started with manga, I have found that reading them is more enjoyable than watching a subbed Anime.

So yeah, Dubbed > Subbed
Jun 11, 2019 6:24 PM

Aug 2018
I watch dubs over subs 90% of the time because I'm fat lazy fuck who can't be bothered to read. Jojo BA is the only one where I watched the subs over dubs because I'm also retarded. Some anime don't have dubs so I only have the option of watching subs. Sometimes the english dub is honestly not great but I don't have the time or effort to care.
warning this idiot is a professional retard
Jun 11, 2019 6:33 PM
Jan 2009
The amount of anime I only watched the Japanese version of can be counted on 1 hand I think. I watch either. For each season, I will only watch that anime via simuldub.
Jun 11, 2019 6:36 PM
Mar 2018
I honestly enjoy anime in dubs when compared to subs, most of the time I find female voices in sub annoying , hence it becomes hard for me to watch an anime in sub with a lot of female characters, and honestly though the characters look more western than Japanese in many anime, so I like watching dub because I believe it suits them better
Jun 11, 2019 7:08 PM

Aug 2018
Imo there are 5 reasons for watching a dubbed anime:

1 - The subbed version has a much worse video quality.
2 - You are still a kid.
3 - You are pretty blind.
4 - You don't know how to read well.
5 - You are dumb.
Extra: It's one of those really weird and rare shows with an actuall decent dub and it can be compare to the original (2.5% aprox).
DaCraziGuyJun 11, 2019 7:28 PM
Jun 11, 2019 7:10 PM

Aug 2016
From my observation, English dubs excel in serious stories (GiTS:SAc) , settings (Cowboy Bebop, Baccano) or over the top comedy shows (Golden Boy, Panty and stocking) compared to other works it does
Jun 11, 2019 7:17 PM

May 2019
The only issue I have with dubs is that they get released very late. Months after a show has aired sometimes even years.
Noways I watch all seasonal shows in sub and only watch dub for completed shows
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Jun 11, 2019 7:21 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:

2 - You are still a kid.
5 - You are a retard.
Extra: It's one of those really weird and rare shows with an actuall decent dub and it can be compare to the original (2.5% aprox).

2.5%? Unless you are living in 80s. I don't know where you came up with that statistic. I would say almost all shonen/action anime has good dub.The only place where it usually lags is slice of life which is also improving day by day.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 7:24 PM

May 2019
Optigisa said:
The only English dub I hated and switched over to sub because of it was the School Days dub, it was so atrocious to listen to.

Other than that, I would rather read manga than watch subbed. Reading at my own pace is a better option, and ever since I started with manga, I have found that reading them is more enjoyable than watching a subbed Anime.

So yeah, Dubbed > Subbed

JoJo sub is amazing. Dub is good but sub is iconic lvl.

Dub does have ZA WARDUDO or Road Roller da
Same goes for Joseph Engrish.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 7:27 PM

Dec 2015
I prefer subs because I grew up with them. As soon as I could read decently I watched action movies or foreign series subbed so it's not that I think dubs are bad, I'm just not used to them. That being said some media just aren't made for dubbing. I once saw a German dub of Jackass and it was awful. Also if you dub things from documentaries you get me annoyed in no time. Live action is just not made for dubbing especially considering you can read the lips of the original. With anime it's just not being used to but when I did watch the dub for Blood+ I did enjoy it.
Jun 11, 2019 7:27 PM
Mar 2018
DaCraziGuy said:

2 - You are still a kid.
5 - You are a retard.

6 - You don't wanna die a weeb                                          v
Jun 11, 2019 7:29 PM

May 2019
fancyjasper said:
I'm not against dubs, but 90% of the time i watch the original Japanese version. I've never been excited for a dub before, but for my favourite anime i'll re-watch it after it's dubbed, just out of curiosity. I don't like a lot of english dub actors anyway, i can't even tell what they're saying sometimes or they're just plain annoying.

As a guy who likes watching dub. I never get excited for dubs as well. Usually dub gets released late and I am too impatient. If I start a show in sub and dub somehow catches up I don't switch over however if I am watching dub and dubs starts to lag. I immediately switch over to sub.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 7:30 PM

Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
DaCraziGuy said:

2 - You are still a kid.
5 - You are a retard.

2.5%? Unless you are living in 80s. I don't know where you came up with that statistic. I would say almost all shonen/action anime has good dub.The only place where it usually lags is slice of life which is also improving day by day.
NO, they don't improve and the shounens never were good... the voice actors of most countries are just bad actors. You need an actual actor for enjoying a good dub, and anime never gets one of those.
Jun 11, 2019 7:32 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
obvious_troll said:

NO, they don't improve and the shounens never were good... the voice actors of most countries are just bad actors. You need an actual actor for enjoying a good dub, and anime never gets one of those.

"Shonen were never good"
You lost me there.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 7:33 PM

Aug 2018
Steiner1411 said:
DaCraziGuy said:

2 - You are still a kid.
5 - You are a retard.

Why watching something in it's original language it's supoused to be a weeb thing? I'm not an english native speaker and I watch every show subbed... even in frech, german or russian...

and actually there is a 6, the original sucks... and that already makes pretty pointless the dub most of the times.
Jun 11, 2019 7:36 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
Steiner1411 said:

Why watching something in it's original language it's supoused to be a weeb thing? I'm not an english native speaker and I watch every show subbed... even in frech, german or russian...

and actually there is a 6, the original sucks... and that already makes pretty pointless the dub most of the times.

From my perspective "watching something in it's original language" isn't a weeb thing. But pretending that everything besides original is always shit and will make your ears bleed etc... is
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 7:38 PM

Aug 2018
obvious_troll said:
DaCraziGuy said:

From my perspective "watching something in it's original language" isn't a weeb thing. But pretending that everything besides original is shit and will make your ears bleed etc... is
Hey, I said some anime dubs were good...

And in another comment I mentioned that dubs made by actual actors and not some drunk frustrated voice actor are generally good too.
Jun 11, 2019 7:46 PM

May 2019
DaCraziGuy said:
obvious_troll said:

From my perspective "watching something in it's original language" isn't a weeb thing. But pretending that everything besides original is shit and will make your ears bleed etc... is
Hey, I said some anime dubs were good...

And in another comment I mentioned that dubs made by actual actors and not some drunk frustrated voice actor are generally good too.

But the percentage you mentioned is too low. 2.5% means out of 100, 2 shows have good dub. Nowadays the percentage is a lot higher.

Also if you are watching original dub and rely on subtitles. Subtitles translation can be shit as well. So if you truly want to experience original learn the language which I doubt a lot of people have patience to do.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 7:50 PM

Sep 2017
I wish there a vote for "Both" because personally I like both. I'd rather not choose one over the other. Sure there are a few bad dubs out there, but I find most of them to be good. So I can't really vote because I like both of them
Jun 11, 2019 7:52 PM
Mar 2018
DaCraziGuy said:

It isn't a weeb thing, but there are high chances of you becoming a weeb if you watch subs
Jun 11, 2019 7:55 PM

May 2019
Animxee said:
I wish there a vote for "Both" because personally I like both. I'd rather not choose one over the other. Sure there are a few bad dubs out there, but I find most of them to be good. So I can't really vote because I like both of them

Same here. actually I didn't vote. Also I believe I am one of the few people that can switch from dub to sub or vice versa and not get annoyed by voice actor changing. At max it takes 1~2 episodes to get used to. For MHA I jumped from dub to sub since simul dub ended. I didn't feel anything odd during and after the transaction.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 7:56 PM

May 2019
Steiner1411 said:
DaCraziGuy said:

It isn't a weeb thing, but there are high chances of you becoming a weeb if you watch subs

If you watch anime you are already becoming weeb. Watching sub won't make a big difference.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 8:05 PM
Mar 2018
obvious_troll said:
Steiner1411 said:

If you watch anime you are already becoming weeb. Watching sub won't make a big difference.

Not really, you dont start saying words like `Nani` or `gomenasai` or `ittadekimasu` or whatever if you watch dubs a lot
Jun 11, 2019 8:08 PM

May 2019
Steiner1411 said:
obvious_troll said:

Not really, you dont start saying words like `Nani` or `gomenasai` or `ittadekimasu` or whatever if you watch dubs a lot

I know people personally who have only watched subs ever since they started watching anime. They don't say that in their conversation. I won't deny that such people (who saya baka, and other words etc...) don't exists. But you can watch subs and be normal.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 8:13 PM

Jun 2019
An age old debate if there ever was one, it seems.

As a native English speaker and American, I honestly cannot stomach the dubbed versions. There are a number of lesser reasons but my central complaint boils down to one word: Localization!!!

It may not be as bad if the setting is in the U.S. or some nondescript/generic Western country, but nothing takes me more out of a setting that's supposed to be rural medieval Japan than hearing some trendy American slang or colloquialism from the American South or California. I actually wince and feel my face getting made into one of disgust it's so disjointed and unnatural-feeling. I also hear localization is being used to advance political agendas and contemporary ideologies of some specific factions and people, but I haven't personally witnessed this in action since I don't commit to watching any dubbed track versions.

So localization is the number one offender for me that makes it viscerally off-putting and inorganic-seeming. I have heard and understand all of the counter arguments that "Unless you speak Japanese, and are preferably a native speaker at that, you're also getting a translated version" and I understand that, but the translated version that shows up as text in subtitles still feels a hell of a lot closer to the intent of the creators than some totally random jokes and anachronistic slang shoehorned into dubs.

To me, that totally butchers the mood and spirit, dampens the emotional intensity in a scene, and there's no excuse for it. Yes, when something is translated from one language to another, it often can't be literal 1:1 as no exact equivalent of certain words or phrases exist, but it doesn't have to make up random nonsense. If the claim is that it's to match the lip movements because of the syllabic variance, that's something I don't give a shit about. I'd rather simply have it not match and have the dialogue be what is written for the subs.

Another lesser reason is that knowing it's a dub and not the original language intended by the creators, there's something that just makes the vocals feel disconnected from the animation, like it was messily overlaid on them but you can still perceive this acute separation.

And I want to hear the VAs that best align with the artistic vision of the creator or director, chosen specifically for that role to embody that character. I don't care if the dubbed team's recasting is for a Japanese to English translation/reproduction or it's a live action espionage thriller translated from Romanian to Hindi. I don't think the executives overseeing any dub for any language ever chooses a better voice to represent the film or series characters better than the original content creators could choose for themselves.
WatchTillTandavaJun 11, 2019 8:19 PM
Jun 11, 2019 8:15 PM

May 2019
obvious_troll said:
Steiner1411 said:

I know people personally who have only watched subs ever since they started watching anime. They don't say that in their conversation. I won't deny that such people (who saya baka, and other words etc...) don't exists. But you can watch subs and be normal.

Though there is one show I believe can make you weeb instantly. And that is JoJo sub. After watching JoJo you won't be saying `Nani` or `gomenasai` or `ittadekimasu` but would would be saying "Za Warudo", "ORA ORA ORA", "Muda Muda Muda", "Road Roller Da", "Horry Sheet", "Arrivederci", "toki wo tomare" etc... I don't I need to mention anymore you get the point.
Your Waifu is trash
Jun 11, 2019 8:27 PM

May 2019
WatchTillTandava said:
I understand that, but the translated version that shows up as text in subtitles still feels a hell of a lot closer to the intent of the creators than some totally random jokes and anachronistic slang shoehorned into dubs.

That is not always the case. Loss in translation still happens in subs. Though you can argue that for sub they can literally translate everything and have no issue. For dubs it is hard. You have to match syllables and context. Like in Steins;Gate main character tries to speak broken English but fails. That joke can be translated directly to sub but would not work in dub at all.

Also lets say you are watching dbz. DBZ isn't that deep or has cultural meaning behind when compared to shows like samurai champloo. So dub would completely work for dbz like shows and may or may not work shows like samurai champloo.
obvious_trollJun 11, 2019 8:35 PM
Your Waifu is trash
Pages (6) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 1 hour ago

7 by 8oomer »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

78 by TheDarkLordOtaku »»
3 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

61 by ShuisBased2 »»
4 minutes ago

» thoughts on Chinese anime? ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

ryo-san - Mar 6, 2022

226 by lingojk »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

65 by Caciulacdlac »»
11 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.