Forum Settings
Forums

Is English dub really that good? Why do people keep being hyped over new dubbs?

New
Jun 11, 2019 5:26 AM

Aug 2018
I don't want to be seen as an elitist but I've recently rewatched the first episodes of Fairy Tail in French, It was awful. Then I decided to change the language to Japanese and it was WAY BETTER.

First Point
Since i've been into the anime realm, i haven't seen any anime in Dub, not because I hate it but because i feel like watching in original language for any given show or movie is way better to understand the vision of the creators. For example in the Matrix movies, the french dubbed version changed the final words for one character which ruined the ending.
Why grown people keep watching in dub? Is it because they can't adapt to reading subtitles? Lazyness?

Second Point
Are US voice actors really good in anime? I know that most of the original American TV Cartoons are dubbed really well (Transformers Beast War, Justice League, ...) and way better than french dubs. But I feel like english dub sucks compare to original japanese voice actors, every time I see an english dub clip I cringe a lot, like a lot. Everything feels off ( Hello Persona 4 )
I've come to notice that some of the US voice actors are not professional actors in the first place.
Is it just me? Does Japanese voice actors seems good because it's another language? Does Anime dub fans have bad taste? Does the industry think of the US public as retards?
I just don't understand why there are so many dubs and fans for that.

Maybe because I'm only a foreigner outside of the US.

I would like to know your thoughts on the matter. I'm open to discussions

Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 11, 2019 5:57 AM

Jun 2014
I grew up with dubs, English dubs in particular, and I've always enjoyed them. I've watched Anime that was subbed, and that's fine too, but I still enjoy dubs.

I watched 0079 and Zeta dubbed in English, and they sounded fine to me.

Jun 11, 2019 6:21 AM

Aug 2018
Seiya said:
I grew up with dubs, English dubs in particular, and I've always enjoyed them. I've watched Anime that was subbed, and that's fine too, but I still enjoy dubs.

I watched 0079 and Zeta dubbed in English, and they sounded fine to me.

Just saw clips zeta gundam and 0079, the dub looks good. But I can't get over the original voices of Amuro, Kamille and Char, they are so unique.
Jun 11, 2019 6:25 AM

Jan 2009
i will watch which comes first since i hate waiting, if english dubs comes first then i will watch that first

personally i prefer dubs since i can focus on the animation more but i cannot deny that the japanese voices adds more enjoyment
Jun 11, 2019 6:32 AM

Jul 2013
I think that it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

I appreciate a good dub mainly because I find it easier to concentrate on what is actually happening when I don't have to read subs.

Also, I feel like a good dub has more of a resonance with me than a good sub because of differences in culture. In the same regard, it's easier to notice a mediocre dub than a mediocre sub.

As for you, I'm not sure about the quality of French dubs. What it comes down to, I would assume, is if anime companies give much importance to the anime consuming demographic in France.

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 11, 2019 6:41 AM

Aug 2018
Fuchsia said:
I think that it ultimately comes down to personal preference.

I appreciate a good dub mainly because I find it easier to concentrate on what is actually happening when I don't have to read subs.

Also, I feel like a good dub has more of a resonance with me than a good sub because of differences in culture. In the same regard, it's easier to notice a mediocre dub than a mediocre sub.

As for you, I'm not sure about the quality of French dubs. What it comes down to, I would assume, is if anime companies give much importance to the anime consuming demographic in France.

Everytime an anime comes out in France, you have to wait for the bluray or the dvd set to have a dub.

To clarify, if you want to be a voice actor in france you have to be a real actor first, you can't build a career based on just audio acting. So most of the dubs are High end
Jun 11, 2019 6:42 AM

Aug 2018
deg said:
i will watch which comes first since i hate waiting, if english dubs comes first then i will watch that first

personally i prefer dubs since i can focus on the animation more but i cannot deny that the japanese voices adds more enjoyment

Are you never worried about meaning, about the message, about what the authors want to convey ?
Jun 11, 2019 6:44 AM

Oct 2015
It's just personal preference really. For old shounen shows (and even some new ones) i prefer the English dub (coz a) i'm used to it and b) it's easier to focus on the action that way given that neither English nor Japanese is my first language).
For slice of life my preference is always Japanese simply coz English VAs rarely get the tones and deliveries right. Something the English dub gets right very well is perverted comedy (B gata H kei and shimoneta are great examples of this).
Lastly there are some shows like Baccano, 91 days, Cowboy Bebop etc that have great dubs that i can't fit into any particular category.

~This world is a cruel place~
Jun 11, 2019 6:45 AM

Sep 2014
I personally prefer sub by a long fucking mile and do indeed believe japanese voice acting is way better on average. Been like a year since I've tried any dub.

I'm not gonna say the english industry doesn't have any talent, that's obviously not true, but as a whole it's way less competitive a market than the japanese one. People in japan DREAM of being voice actors and it is THE thing they aimed for from the start, many of them are like celebrities, in the US it's afaik mostly people just settling for what they got and not exactly their ambition, it's not a competitive scene and as such has room for more than just the best.

Also you hear the exact same people in all the shows around (japanese doesn't even come close to this, even if some seiyuu appear in tens of shows) and while the shows with mostly adult casts sound pretty good in english, I believe japanese do a much better job of voicing teenagers - and these are the majority of anime characters.

I personally also like japanese as a language much more than english, which is another point for me.

English is also not native for me, and as such listening to it doesn't take less attention than reading, probably even more, and as such this argument for dub just doesn't work for me. Dub in my native language isn't even a consideration, almost nothing gets it.

The sub also comes first, you don't have to wait + you can catch some stuff that generally gets lost in translation, even if you don't truly speak japanese.

So yeah, subs all the way if you ask me.

deg said:

how can a dub possibly come out first? lol
Jun 11, 2019 6:45 AM

Apr 2015
Because I don't always having to look at both the subtitles and what's going on in the show. It's not that hard to understand.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 11, 2019 6:47 AM

Jan 2013
Imaishi said:

deg said:

It happened with FLCL's new seasons
Jun 11, 2019 6:47 AM

Jul 2013
Zawarudo0079 said:
To clarify, if you want to be a voice actor in france you have to be a real actor first, you can't build a career based on just audio acting. So most of the dubs are High end

What's the reasoning behind this?

Seems like a rather odd restriction..

╮ (. ❛ ᴗ ❛.) ╭

Jun 11, 2019 6:48 AM

Nov 2018
english dubs suck, I have never heard a decent english dub; maybe that's because german dubs are actually really good idk

if someone asked me in what order I look for an anime it's usually:
  1. german dub
  2. german/english sub
  3. english dub
  4. french sub

Jun 11, 2019 6:53 AM

Jan 2009
Imaishi said:

deg said:

aside from FLCL sequels that @Klad mention i recently watch Mutafukaz that is french dubbed (although i prefer english dubbed) so with the rise of international companies funding anime production it can happen more

Zawarudo0079 said:
deg said:

Are you never worried about meaning, about the message, about what the authors want to convey ?

subs vs dubs translations afaik have minimal differences if done by professionals anyway
Jun 11, 2019 6:55 AM
Aug 2017
I honestly can rarely ever tolerate dubs. Some of them are nice, yes, but it just can't compare to the original. I've also watched a few anime movies in persian dub, which were actually great! But the series...usually end up sounding awful in persian dub. Death note's persian dub is also enjoyable and NOT cringey, unlike attack on titan's or haikyuu's... Either way, sub still is the best way to watch anime for me
Jun 11, 2019 6:59 AM
Jul 2018

I prefer subs. I think it adds a lot to a show if you watch it in the language it has been written in. Same goes for movies, books and whatnot. Only my personal opinion though.
Just the other day I played Final Fantasy XV at a friends place - the english dubbed version - and I swear I nearly laughed my ass off. I don't know if I would have ever finished that game if I didn't set the audio to Japanese right away, it sounded all kinds of wrong.

But like with everything, I say to each their own.
Jun 11, 2019 7:10 AM

Aug 2016
Zawarudo0079 said:
I don't want to be seen as an elitist but I've recently rewatched the first episodes of Fairy Tail in French, It was awful. Then I decided to change the language to Japanese and it was WAY BETTER.

First Point
Since i've been into the anime realm, i haven't seen any anime in Dub, not because I hate it but because i feel like watching in original language for any given show or movie is way better to understand the vision of the creators. For example in the Matrix movies, the french dubbed version changed the final words for one character which ruined the ending.
Why grown people keep watching in dub? Is it because they can't adapt to reading subtitles? Lazyness?

Second Point
Are US voice actors really good in anime? I know that most of the original American TV Cartoons are dubbed really well (Transformers Beast War, Justice League, ...) and way better than french dubs. But I feel like english dub sucks compare to original japanese voice actors, every time I see an english dub clip I cringe a lot, like a lot. Everything feels off ( Hello Persona 4 )
I've come to notice that some of the US voice actors are not professional actors in the first place.
Is it just me? Does Japanese voice actors seems good because it's another language? Does Anime dub fans have bad taste? Does the industry think of the US public as retards?
I just don't understand why there are so many dubs and fans for that.

Maybe because I'm only a foreigner outside of the US.

I would like to know your thoughts on the matter. I'm open to discussions

Just a question of point of view, each time I heard an English dubs my ears bled so

but for those who grown with it I can understand because I like watch french dub on some "old anime" I watched on tv when I was a child, kind of nostalgy ( we have some good dub, yes fairy tail was meh )

Maybe the new anime has a better cast on some nowadays idk but until the beginning of the 2000 era it was pretty bullshit ( jus my opinion )
Jun 11, 2019 7:11 AM

Feb 2015
The English dubs of anime have improved over the years as far as I can observe. Not like what it was a decade ago where it feels off sometimes on their delivery.

But of course, some issues that comes with dubbing shows in another language are the nuances in the original are dampened or lost in translation and approximation has to be done to make the point across. Cultural differences can create peculiarities in a language.

I watched few clips of Stardust Crusaders in both languages from time to time and they are just as equally good. There just needs to be good voice actors and good scripts in the first place to give it justice. Japan has been long in the voice acting industry and they have a big pool of talents there and is quite profitable. May just be one of the reasons why them seem to do so well with it.
Jun 11, 2019 7:12 AM

Aug 2018
Fuchsia said:
Zawarudo0079 said:

What's the reasoning behind this?

Seems like a rather odd restriction..

The whole TV/Movie industry is very restrictive (for example : Netflix movies cannot compete in Cannes competition only because they are not release in theater first) . I think it is mainly because since in the beginning of dub, the voice actors were all real actors, it probably created a mindset were if you are not in the industry first, you can't do it. That's why all the voices in french dub are so similar, the voice of spiderman is the same voice of Channing Tatum, of Joseph Gordon Levitt, etc. Dub is very strict, It's like a gated network. It's not impossible to get in the industry but it's definitively difficult.
Jun 11, 2019 7:29 AM

Aug 2013
The only right way to consume ANY media (not only Japanese) is to use original voices. Anything other is always fake and just bad. Dubs should exist only for kiddie content.
Dub = fake crap. Always.
Jun 11, 2019 7:31 AM

Feb 2019
See, everyone is always so quick to hate on dubs and tout the virtues of subs, but almost none of them have the necessary understanding or lexicon to articulate WHY subs are better. They just spout some generalized crap like "the Japanese voice actors are better" or "it sounds better in the original language". HOW does it sound better? What is their standard of measurement for judging voice quality? What does watching it in Japanese give you that you can't get out of the English dub? If I asked a random weeb to compare and contrast a popular English voice actor and a popular Japanese voice actor on the basis of quality, they wouldn't be able to do it, because all they "know" is that subs are better, end of story.

Yes, it's true that the Japanese voice acting industry is more reputable and illustrious than the Western dubbing studios, with a rich history and well-respected vocal talent, but does that automatically make ALL dubs completely unwatchable garbage? Hell no. It's like saying "Not all movies are as perfect as The Godfather, so why should I watch any movies other than The Godfather?" It makes no sense, because of course we all watch movies other than The Godfather, despite their flaws and imperfections. So why can't we watch and enjoy dubs even though they're technically lower quality than subs?

And unless you're 100% fluent in Japanese, all that crap about stuff being "lost in translation" and dubs "removing jokes/references/etc. that only make sense in the original" won't even matter to you for two reasons. Firstly, just because the script is changed, doesn't mean those jokes and references are replaced with nothing. They're replaced with jokes and references that make sense in English, rather than things that only make sense in Japanese. People always assume that something is "lost" in translation, when in reality it's more that things are "altered" so that the original spirit of the script is preserved while still allowing us to understand what's going on.

And secondly, simply knowing that, for example, a certain joke is a pun in Japanese doesn't automatically make it funny in and of itself. You'd have to understand the linguistic attributes that MAKE it funny in order to derive humor from it. And to do that you'd need to understand Japanese (which the vast majority of Western anime viewers don't). Watching a dub would turn this culturally specific joke into one that English speakers could understand and recognize as humor. So how does that make it any different from the original in terms of quality?

Honestly, I think dubs get a bad rap due primarily to ignorance. Definitely in the early days, when anime was first started to become incorporated into Western media, the dubs were almost always atrociously bad. The early 2000s were much the same, but around 2007-2008 you could see gradual progress in quality. Dubbing studios began to see the lucrative potential of the anime market and started producing better quality dubs, with more of a focus on incorporating Japanese pronunciation of names, more emotive character portrayals, and more accurate script translations. And of course nowadays a lot of the current voice actors have been around for a while, and it’s only natural that their skill would improve over time. You can’t really compare a trashy 2004 dub such as that of Higurashi to a modern dub of Konosuba, for example. The difference is night and day.
When you stand at the cliff's edge, staring into the darkness below, the most horrifying realization is not that you might slip, but that you could leap.
Jun 11, 2019 7:33 AM

Feb 2019
Short answer: no.
Long answer: no, it isn't.

When I forget to change the audio track to japanese, I always cringe at the few seconds I get to hear of english dub. Maybe it really is because english is not my mother tongue, I just know it bothers me as hell.
Jun 11, 2019 7:45 AM

Aug 2018
Aastra343 said:
Short answer: no.
Long answer: no, it isn't.

When I forget to change the audio track to japanese, I always cringe at the few seconds I get to hear of english dub. Maybe it really is because english is not my mother tongue, I just know it bothers me as hell.

Happens to me everytime I download something from netflix, i get the dub treatment automatically ( because my interface is in english)
Jun 11, 2019 7:50 AM
Jul 2018
Aastra343 said:

Maybe it really is because english is not my mother tongue, I just know it bothers me as hell.

That is an interesting point in itself actually. Are native English speakers prone to like dubbed stuff ? Or is the opposite true ?
English is my second language, but I use it daily at work, so I might not be the best example.
Jun 11, 2019 7:52 AM

May 2013
If you have strong proficiency of Japanese as a language, then yes, the English dubs may indeed appear inferior because of translations. And you will also say the same about the subs.

If you don't have strong proficiency, please don't kid yourself over "losing the meaning the authors wanted to convey". Translation losses are inevitable, and they also start from text itself.

As someone who has limited proficiency in Japanese (but not something to write home about) I enjoy watching in whatever sounds good to my ears. That is, the timbre of the voices takes precedence over the silly sub vs dub shite.

No point in raising hue and cry over losing the 'original meaning' when you don't speak the original language. I naturally gravitate naturally towards the japanese dub because I find the fake acting funny and also because there is a larger selection of timbres (voice actors) to try out as compared to the roster of dub actors . My IRL japanese friends don't speak the way anime characters do either.

Heck, even me with a bare bones knowledge in Japanese can spot errors in subtitles occasionally. Even subbers rephrase sentences just like foreign dub voice actors do as long as the general message is preserved. English is my third language and I am baffled by the amount of people who concern themselves with the original meaning. Learn the language first before making that claim, I'd say.

If you are a gamer who likes playing RPG games, do you play something like the Witcher series in Polish or do you play it in English?
KreatorXJun 11, 2019 7:56 AM
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 11, 2019 7:54 AM

Aug 2018
MadHobbit2 said:
See, everyone is always so quick to hate on dubs and tout the virtues of subs, but almost none of them have the necessary understanding or lexicon to articulate WHY subs are better. They just spout some generalized crap like "the Japanese voice actors are better" or "it sounds better in the original language". HOW does it sound better? What is their standard of measurement for judging voice quality? What does watching it in Japanese give you that you can't get out of the English dub? If I asked a random weeb to compare and contrast a popular English voice actor and a popular Japanese voice actor on the basis of quality, they wouldn't be able to do it, because all they "know" is that subs are better, end of story.

Yes, it's true that the Japanese voice acting industry is more reputable and illustrious than the Western dubbing studios, with a rich history and well-respected vocal talent, but does that automatically make ALL dubs completely unwatchable garbage? Hell no. It's like saying "Not all movies are as perfect as The Godfather, so why should I watch any movies other than The Godfather?" It makes no sense, because of course we all watch movies other than The Godfather, despite their flaws and imperfections. So why can't we watch and enjoy dubs even though they're technically lower quality than subs?

And unless you're 100% fluent in Japanese, all that crap about stuff being "lost in translation" and dubs "removing jokes/references/etc. that only make sense in the original" won't even matter to you for two reasons. Firstly, just because the script is changed, doesn't mean those jokes and references are replaced with nothing. They're replaced with jokes and references that make sense in English, rather than things that only make sense in Japanese. People always assume that something is "lost" in translation, when in reality it's more that things are "altered" so that the original spirit of the script is preserved while still allowing us to understand what's going on.

And secondly, simply knowing that, for example, a certain joke is a pun in Japanese doesn't automatically make it funny in and of itself. You'd have to understand the linguistic attributes that MAKE it funny in order to derive humor from it. And to do that you'd need to understand Japanese (which the vast majority of Western anime viewers don't). Watching a dub would turn this culturally specific joke into one that English speakers could understand and recognize as humor. So how does that make it any different from the original in terms of quality?

Honestly, I think dubs get a bad rap due primarily to ignorance. Definitely in the early days, when anime was first started to become incorporated into Western media, the dubs were almost always atrociously bad. The early 2000s were much the same, but around 2007-2008 you could see gradual progress in quality. Dubbing studios began to see the lucrative potential of the anime market and started producing better quality dubs, with more of a focus on incorporating Japanese pronunciation of names, more emotive character portrayals, and more accurate script translations. And of course nowadays a lot of the current voice actors have been around for a while, and it’s only natural that their skill would improve over time. You can’t really compare a trashy 2004 dub such as that of Higurashi to a modern dub of Konosuba, for example. The difference is night and day.

Intersting point but wether you like or hate dub only depends on you. Saying that one is better than the other serves no purpose, the interest in that debate is just : What is the reasons for you in liking dub or not
Jun 11, 2019 7:56 AM

Jun 2019
When I'm really tired I prefer dub, because I can't keep up with what's going on and the subs at the same time. I think dubs are decent, specially nowadays, so I don't know what the fuss is about.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Jun 11, 2019 8:09 AM

Aug 2018
FoxFire75 said:
Aastra343 said:

Maybe it really is because english is not my mother tongue, I just know it bothers me as hell.

That is an interesting point in itself actually. Are native English speakers prone to like dubbed stuff ? Or is the opposite true ?
English is my second language, but I use it daily at work, so I might not be the best example.

Dub is pretty big in France (for tv) but anime fans have to cope with the fact that dub is not available for animes (only popular anime only make it to the dub studios). The US is the biggest market for anime so having a lot of dub is common. Like how non english speaking countries have to watch movies in dub (especially if you live outside of a big city). The more dub is spread the more being used to it, is easy.

Shifting from a language to another is quite difficult for an audience. I think watching in one language over the other depends on commitment.
Jun 11, 2019 8:12 AM
Feb 2017
I prefer sub because most of the time they put out more emotion and I'm able to watch the show sooner. However, if a show has a good dub then it allows me to focus on the show a lot more than having to read subtitles. I usually watch shows subbed nowadays though, but I tend to weigh both sides and see which one is better.
Jun 11, 2019 8:16 AM

Oct 2014
Some people are dyslexic and aren't able to watch subs because the text goes too fast for them. There's also people who are just lazy or who multitask their anime.
Jun 11, 2019 8:16 AM
Jul 2018
Zawarudo0079 said:
FoxFire75 said:

Dub is pretty big in France (for tv) but anime fans have to cope with the fact that dub is not available for animes (only popular anime only make it to the dub studios). The US is the biggest market for anime so having a lot of dub is common. Like how non english speaking countries have to watch movies in dub (especially if you live outside of a big city). The more dub is spread the more being used to it, is easy.

Shifting from a language to another is quite difficult for an audience. I think watching in one language over the other depends on commitment.

Sounds a lot like the situation where I live ( Austria ) - only popular anime / anime that's on TV are available dubbed. But everything else, no matter if british, american or french shows and movies are dubbed.
I guess it's just a matter of time. The more the popularity of anime grows, the more dubs will be produced and hence ( hopefully ) quality will improve.
Jun 11, 2019 8:18 AM

Aug 2018
FoxFire75 said:
Sounds a lot like the situation where I live ( Austria ) - only popular anime / anime that's on TV are available dubbed. But everything else, no matter if british, american or french shows and movies are dubbed.
I guess it's just a matter of time. The more the popularity of anime grows, the more dubs will be produced and hence ( hopefully ) quality will improve.

Did the quality improve over time in Austria ?
Jun 11, 2019 8:24 AM

Mar 2018
I usually prefer dubs because I have audio processing issues, so having to read subs while noise is happening just distracts me and it’s a lot harder to enjoy everything. Some shows I’ve been able to watch subbed, but some shows like Kaguya-sama or Baccano I genuinely couldn’t keep up with and got lost pretty quickly.
I’ll give a show’s sub a shot, and sometimes I’m good with it, but more often than not I watch the dub for this reason and still enjoy it a lot!
Jun 11, 2019 8:25 AM
Jul 2018
Zawarudo0079 said:
FoxFire75 said:

Did the quality improve over time in Austria ?

I am afraid I am not qualified to answer that question -.- The last dubbed anything ( in German ) I watched on TV was Dragonball or Sailormoon XD it's been a while lol I would guess it did improve in those what 20 years ? , but it's just an assumption.
I watched however English dubs every now and then, but I still prefer the sound of the Japanese language while watching anime. Just personal preference I guess.
Jun 11, 2019 8:32 AM

Mar 2019
Imaishi said:
I personally prefer sub by a long fucking mile and do indeed believe japanese voice acting is way better on average. Been like a year since I've tried any dub.
I personally entertain the idea that Japanese voice acting only sounds better if one not speak Japanese and if one speak it one will notice it sounds about as cartoony and strange as the average Anglo-Saxon voice acting.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 11, 2019 8:35 AM

Jun 2012
Have you ever considered that some people may just not want to read while watching a show or a movie? Have you considered that some people who aren't native English speakers, and don't have access to translations in their own language, may not be able to read text fast enough to be able to follow the dialogue of shows, especially something ridiculously fast like Tatami Galaxy? Or have you considered that there are some people with optic conditions that simply can't move their eyes fast enough to simultaneously follow a show and its text at the same time?

It's not a question of which is better or is one good at all, but it's a matter of what works for the individual. Preferences don't necessarily fall into a good or bad territory. Just some food for thought.

I don't want to come to the forums and act like somebody whose come here to broaden your senses and help you expand your thinking. Try looking at the world with a different perspective once in a while.
I'm also filled with pure-hearted ulterior motives.

Jun 11, 2019 8:36 AM

Nov 2017
I don't prefer one over the other. It just depends on the individual show for me.
ロード中です...

Jun 11, 2019 8:38 AM

Aug 2010
most dubs just dont fit all that well.

i would also like to not have to read, but what i gain from the audio of pathetic sounding voice acting that nowhere near matches up with the visuals and other sounds is just bad.
I especially cant stand English female voice actors in anime when they try to do children. Makes me want to punch them. And like... maybe i just got used to the squeakiness of Japanese ladies because my urge to punch is a lot less when they play children.
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
Jun 11, 2019 8:43 AM

Feb 2019
FoxFire75 said:
Aastra343 said:

I've only watched a few anime dubbed in dutch (usually the really popular ones, like pokemon and sailor moon) and it's usually quite lackluster and/or plain bad. Usually the dub never covers all of the episodes and they base the dub on the german one, what means they are a translation of a translation lol. I don't know if the dutch dubs were of better quality and more quantity I'd enjoy them more.

I quite like the german dubs, I think they can be quite decent at times. That's why I think I may just dislike the voice acting of english dubbers.
Jun 11, 2019 8:53 AM
Jul 2018
Aastra343 said:

I've only watched a few anime dubbed in dutch (usually the really popular ones, like pokemon and sailor moon) and it's usually quite lackluster and/or plain bad. Usually the dub never covers all of the episodes and they base the dub on the german one, what means they are a translation of a translation lol. I don't know if the dutch dubs were of better quality and more quantity I'd enjoy them more.

I quite like the german dubs, I think they can be quite decent at times. That's why I think I may just dislike the voice acting of english dubbers.

I didn't know about dubs based on other dubs -.- a translation of a translation sounds .. not good.
Jun 11, 2019 8:59 AM

Dec 2018
well... ima lookin' forward to "Nichijou My Ordinary Life" dub... hohoho
Jun 11, 2019 9:01 AM

Mar 2018
I have never watched an anime dubbed

naruto, mha, konosuba, fmab, death note all sound lame to me. I dont watch german or french movies/series dubbed either
EsquirtitJun 11, 2019 9:08 AM
poop
Jun 11, 2019 9:06 AM

Aug 2018
Holybaptiser said:
Have you ever considered that some people may just not want to read while watching a show or a movie? Have you considered that some people who aren't native English speakers, and don't have access to translations in their own language, may not be able to read text fast enough to be able to follow the dialogue of shows, especially something ridiculously fast like Tatami Galaxy? Or have you considered that there are some people with optic conditions that simply can't move their eyes fast enough to simultaneously follow a show and its text at the same time?

It's not a question of which is better or is one good at all, but it's a matter of what works for the individual. Preferences don't necessarily fall into a good or bad territory. Just some food for thought.

I don't want to come to the forums and act like somebody whose come here to broaden your senses and help you expand your thinking. Try looking at the world with a different perspective once in a while.

That's why I created this topic, to have a different perspective on the subject at hand.
I get that foreigners might not have translation in their langage but that's not the purpose of Dub animes. And problems regarding personal health is a valid point but then again it's just a small percentage of dub fans. I'm talking about people who don't have handicaps, who are fully capable of watching sub, why do they prefer dub over sub. I'm perfectly aware that my opinion is subjective, you can't really have a debate over what's good and what's bad. The interesting thing to tell : is why you like something or hate.
Jun 11, 2019 9:11 AM

Jun 2012
Zawarudo0079 said:
Holybaptiser said:

That's why I created this topic, to have a different perspective on the subject at hand.
I get that foreigners might not have translation in their langage but that's not the purpose of Dub animes. And problems regarding personal health is a valid point but then again it's just a small percentage of dub fans. I'm talking about people who don't have handicaps, who are fully capable of watching sub, why do they prefer dub over sub. I'm perfectly aware that my opinion is subjective, you can't really have a debate over what's good and what's bad. The interesting thing to tell : is why you like something or hate.
The typical responses are:
1. I don't like to read while I watch a show
2. I don't like hearing moon speak

Jun 11, 2019 9:14 AM

Aug 2018
Holybaptiser said:

That's why I like long and elaborated comments, like your last one.
Jun 11, 2019 9:17 AM

Apr 2016
Anime dubs good? Wut? 99% of them are bad xD
Jun 11, 2019 9:19 AM

Jun 2012
Zawarudo0079 said:
Holybaptiser said:

That's why I like long and elaborated comments, like your last one.
There will come a time when you realize being long-winded does not do much for elaboration but causes more room for verbiage. Unfortunately, the reasons are so blunt and shallow that they don't really require much elaboration, and if someone tries to elaborate a lot on the topic, they're conscientiously or unconsciously trying to convince you to see it their way, which isn't something I strive for.

Jun 11, 2019 9:37 AM

Jun 2019
Sphinxter said:
Imaishi said:
I personally entertain the idea that Japanese voice acting only sounds better if one not speak Japanese and if one speak it one will notice it sounds about as cartoony and strange as the average Anglo-Saxon voice acting.

I don't know about actual japanese people, but actors in japanese shows and dramas sound as exaggerated as anime seiyuus.

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Jun 11, 2019 9:41 AM

Apr 2017
I almost always prefer watching in original dub, regardless of whether it's anime, western movie or whatever. Most of the time it sounds better to me. I don't doubt that there are a few exceptions to this, but in my experience they are pretty rare.

Besides dubs sometimes make really weird choices. Like Chihayafuru dub (which I rarely heard because it was default track) dubbing the card readers and making the reading, which I enjoyed a lot in Japanese due to all the subtle intonation changes, sound like shit. Especially given that readers don't speak any lines besides reading the cards, which can't be translated, so they essentially made English speaking VAs speak Japanese for no apparent reason. And that's not such an old dub either. That certainly did not improve my opinion of dubs, though I'm sure not all face such issues.
MrZawaJun 11, 2019 9:47 AM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
Jun 11, 2019 9:41 AM
Aug 2018
Though I prefer subs because that’s just me I do enjoy dubs
Pages (6) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Yesterday

30 by Vendicator »»
24 seconds ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

17 by deg »»
54 seconds ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 2 hours ago

6 by BirdyTheMighty »»
3 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

113 by DigiCat »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » How do you watch anime?

RobertBobert - 4 hours ago

24 by luckyrune »»
9 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.