Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »
Jun 10, 2019 2:05 PM
Apr 2016
Weebover9000 said:
justasadguy said:

I mean 24 mins which could have been reduced to 5 (exaggerating)...
what is funny is that they made this episode slow af, I was looking forward to see what would have come next, and they just show a photo and flashback?
After 24 mins? aight man
(I'm not mad with you bro, I'm just disappointed about how slow this ep was and no, don't say inTeLLecTuaL EpiSoDeS ArE sLoW, bc death note's eps weren't this slow)

Im not going to say the intellectual thing, but weve had 5 straight episodes up till episode 6 with non stop combat and action, so a slow paced episode or two wont hurt anyone imo. As a manga reader, I can tell theyre just trying to end the season on a solid note and not a cliffhanger, so expect the season to slow down a bit with the upcoming flashback story.

He just literally compared this series to a DN. Intellectual is not a quality anywhere around him
Re:formed
Jun 10, 2019 3:02 PM

May 2016
Damn I really want this show to take first place on Mal but guess that won't be possible the basement was average, waited 3 years for this episode.

already miss Erwin '-'
Jun 10, 2019 3:36 PM

Nov 2017
For me this is the best episode so far yet in all of AoT. This episode just got me and I got sucked in. Man the 2nd half of the episode was just so amazing.

plz @ me
Jun 10, 2019 3:41 PM

Sep 2014
A more subdued reveal than I was expecting, but just more to add to the overall mystery of things and to keep me engaged with series. Now to see where the next step takes us.
Jun 10, 2019 5:16 PM
Jul 2018
Welp, now that we know that THE OUTER WORLD IS DOING JUST FINE. This adds alot to the entire series. The setting just got fleshed out severely.
Jun 10, 2019 5:22 PM

Sep 2012
Now this is where SNK starts getting really good. The post-basement story is by far the best.
Jun 10, 2019 5:23 PM
May 2019
ABDoesThings said:
Welp, now that we know that THE OUTER WORLD IS DOING JUST FINE. This adds alot to the entire series. The setting just got fleshed out severely.

Yeah, although when I read this in the manga it made me appreciate just how much effort must of been put in to make the series work within that small space compared to how large the rest of the world must be in comparison and how much story he was able to put into these walls.
Jun 10, 2019 5:27 PM
Jun 2019
this episode is very shocking, especially the part of the photo, it seems grisha is married and has children long before coming into the wall, and I'm sure the kid looks like zeke,

In the previous episode, Zeke said "believe me, we are both your father's victim", indicating that there is a blood connection between Zeke and Eren, because Zeke said "someday, I will definitely save you",

if that's true then the next episode will be awesome, I can't wait for the story to continue,

and really damn, now that I really like the story of Grisha when he was a child, seriously she was like Eren and mikasa the old days, always talking about freedom, but unfortunately when I saw a preview next week, I was afraid to see the tragic story of Grisha,

Hopefully nothing hurts
Jun 10, 2019 6:56 PM

Jul 2012
That tonal shift for the Marley side of the story was done amazingly well, I'm very impressed.

This will be such an amazing ride from this point on, can't wait for the next 3 episodes.
Jun 10, 2019 6:58 PM
Feb 2019
When I saw the ED scene, I felt like I'm watching an entirely different show, it felt so strange yet so beautiful and exciting, I don't know how to express it but I kind of felt empty as well, because everything was just different.

The fact of having a huge advanced civilization outside the walls has been already foreshadowed a lot in the anime, and I believed in it because of many hints, but to actually see it? that was another thing.

The armbands reminded me of the Jews people when they used to wear them, and the entire scenery looked like something from WWII, also the place was like those concentration camps in the Nazi Germany, and all of that was when Grisha was very young! I don't know how it looks like now! that makes my heart race.

The whole idea of having another civilizations outside the walls is so beautiful and dreamy.

The thing is, I can't find the Titans fit with that world lol, like I can see them fit the side we know since it looks in middle ages, and you know giants or monsters go more likely with that kind of world, at least in AoT. So I don't understand how the Titans came? Experiments?

For the photograph, that was so so nice, we can know that of course Grisha is the man in the photograph, but I don't know about the woman other than that she's her wife? and the son... his hair looks like Zeke's hair lol that's crazy as hell. I think it's really him.

About Erwin, I love his flashback so much ❤❤❤❤❤ I will never get over him, it's just so heartbreaking to find the truth without him, when he was the one who was seeking for it the most.

However, all of this makes more confused, and I have a lot more questions, I guess we will know more about what's in those books, maybe Grisha's diaries, I'm so excited.
Jun 10, 2019 6:59 PM
Aug 2018
Slow episode in other anime series- "Man, what an amazing backstory and buildup!"

Slow episode in AoT- "Yo, where are the titans? This is lame."

Literally every single time Aot has a "slow" episode, there is always this one reaction I see. I just thought it was hilarious :D

I liked the serene feel to it considering it was right after battle, though some parts looked like it came from season 1 animations. Not complaining though, but thick lines did change the art style by a little. :D
Jun 10, 2019 7:48 PM

Sep 2009
I love what the studio is doing with the show this season, the art and music is great. But the theatrics for this episode were a tad bit too much. Halfway in it was soooo drawn out I was tempted to skip until dialogue started. The story can't move too slowly especially when there's no ongoing battles it ruins the pace big time.

Having Armin tell us what we just saw last episode in slow speech and the back and forth flashbacks of Mikasa and Eren felt like overkill, we get it...
Jun 10, 2019 8:16 PM

Oct 2013
Raizel said:
Damn I really want this show to take first place on Mal but guess that won't be possible the basement was average, waited 3 years for this episode.

already miss Erwin '-'

lol, this was just the appetizer my friend, The basement reveal will be the remaining 3 episodes of this season.
Jun 10, 2019 11:20 PM

May 2017
Wasn't much of a reveal imo... the fact that Eren's dad was found outside of the wall and then was some medical genius who saved the town from a plague was enough of a hint that theres a lore advanced society outside of the walls, which Grisha came from. This was drilled in more at the beginning of this 2nd part of this season, where the three mugs of coffee (black liquid) were found on top of the wall. Coffee comes from somewhere warm, tropical regions, and apparently thos inside the wall have no idea what it could be. Obviously something that comes from outside.. .

So mmmm it's good that the story is coming, but I'm not exactly surprised
Jun 10, 2019 11:23 PM
Apr 2019
so I want to know if anime-onlys love this episode... It should be a relieve to know.. because from here on the true story begins.
Jun 10, 2019 11:26 PM

May 2014
It's annoying how lame I get spoiled through some YouTube recommendations showing thumbnails and titles with big Attack on Titan spoilers. Damn this Manga Store section at the bottom of this page too, for showing me spoiler covers of Attack on Titan volumes.
Might read the Manga after finishing this Anime season.
This episode was paced much slower than I expected.
Some Manga readers were hyping this episode to be shocking, but it seems like the last episodes of this Season are what contain the shocking contents these Manga readers were talking about.

I think I know the direction this series will be going with these 3 books. Based on how the photo was described to be made, I believe there will be a lot more information about how advanced technology is made or how it works. With this type of information, technologies, methodologies, and more will grow and evolve within the walls.
Alongside information that benefits the livelihood of the people within the walls, I think there will, of course, be important information on the history of the other civilization. Historical information about the purpose of Titans, their social hierarchy, their culture, etc.
There could be further information about different types of titans and their specialties.
These 3 books seem like they will offer brighter hope for the civilization within the walls.

I'm not going to lie, I wish Erwin would have been revived rather than Armin. It's not just that I like Erwin's character more than Armin, but I think Erwin wouldn't just stop at knowing some major secrets of the world found in Eren's basement. I think he would continue to support humanity within the walls to find out more knowledge of the world from outside the walls. I hope that Armin's character improves or something at least to make his character more interesting to me.

On the topic of character, I am highly interested to know the motives of people like Reiner, Annie, Zeke, and the others that are a part of their faction. It seems like Bertholdt, Annie, and Reiner may have been brainwashed since they were young to go against humanity within the walls. Perhaps they have a legitimate reason to wipe out the people within the walls.

Could they be forced by Zeke to help him carry out his mission? Reiner did try and fight off Zeke and lost somehow. Perhaps their fight was about their will to not attack all the people within the walls and to just go back to their homeland. It could have been about how Reiner or Bertholdt either can never go back home without Zeke or if they tried defying Zeke any further, he would somehow kill both of them. Zeke probably knows of other titan shifters who would help him deal with Reiner or Bertholdt.

As Bertholdt said, he doesn't even believe the people he wants to kill are bad, he sees them in a positive light. With having that in mind, where do Bertholdt and Reiner get their resolution to wipe out an entire civilization from? It wasn't until recently where Reiner and Bertholdt cut out their feelings for their friends.
Bertholdt himself said that neither side is in the wrong, yet there's nothing he could do to prevent his actions.
Right after saying that, Bertholdt says, "This world is just that cruel."
At the end of this recent episode, the preview for the next episode talks about Eren is shown "a cruel world" through the perspective of his father and his story.
Both Bertholdt and Eren's father seem to share a similar perspective on how the world is cruel beyond the civilization within the walls.
So, perhaps the story of his father will help justify why Bertholdt would not explain his reasons to wipe out nearly everyone within the walls.

At this point, I think Annie will be uncrystallized soon. She's been in that state for about two seasons. Annie's only living childhood friend is Reiner now and he seems to be far, far gone away in some place. It could be some sort of knowledge from within one of the three books that helps free her or something. When she does get out, I think she will have a change of heart and help out humanity inside the walls. I just don't see anything good from her continuing to defy the people within the walls again after getting freed from being in a state of crystallization. It seems like she has a chance to be different than Reiner or Bertholdt.
Jun 10, 2019 11:30 PM

Jan 2015
Welp, that was something I wasn't expecting... I really liked it tho!
I'm curious to know more about the "more advanced" humans.
Jun 10, 2019 11:38 PM
Apr 2018
Can someone confirm to me that the one who voiced young Grisha was Yuuto Uemura?
Jun 10, 2019 11:55 PM
Jan 2018
mitsukirox101 said:
I love what the studio is doing with the show this season, the art and music is great. But the theatrics for this episode were a tad bit too much. Halfway in it was soooo drawn out I was tempted to skip until dialogue started. The story can't move too slowly especially when there's no ongoing battles it ruins the pace big time.

Having Armin tell us what we just saw last episode in slow speech and the back and forth flashbacks of Mikasa and Eren felt like overkill, we get it...

Wouldn't make any sense if Armin never had any reaction to what happened and instead just said what the hell and didn't question or think anything about it and just acts like nothing happened

demision said:
Wasn't much of a reveal imo... the fact that Eren's dad was found outside of the wall and then was some medical genius who saved the town from a plague was enough of a hint that theres a lore advanced society outside of the walls, which Grisha came from. This was drilled in more at the beginning of this 2nd part of this season, where the three mugs of coffee (black liquid) were found on top of the wall. Coffee comes from somewhere warm, tropical regions, and apparently thos inside the wall have no idea what it could be. Obviously something that comes from outside.. .

You will be suprised how many people didn't figure it out and have all the forshadowing go over there heads
Jun 11, 2019 12:41 AM
Apr 2016
Mattinator95 said:
mitsukirox101 said:

Wouldn't make any sense if Armin never had any reaction to what happened and instead just said what the hell and didn't question or think anything about it and just acts like nothing happened

demision said:

You will be suprised how many people didn't figure it out and have all the forshadowing go over there heads

It is abasing how little modernity people seem to understand about complex emotions and reactions. Is their surrounding so bland and plain they do not get to experience these "overkills"? A good thing, one might say.
Re:formed
Jun 11, 2019 2:43 AM

Aug 2012
yvanedisco said:
Can someone confirm to me that the one who voiced young Grisha was Yuuto Uemura?
Yes it is him who voiced young Grisha
Jun 11, 2019 2:47 AM
Apr 2018
sim0n2170 said:
yvanedisco said:
Yes it is him who voiced young Grisha

I knew it. Thank you for confirming!
Jun 11, 2019 3:33 AM

Mar 2013
Nah, to be continue xd
Jun 11, 2019 3:47 AM
May 2015
demision said:

That was just the prologue to the actual reveal. The real revelations will come over the next three episodes. It's a damn rollercoaster, better get ready.
羽根を焦がす無数の鳥が
灰を散らし安らぎ笑う
誰か散らせ
僕がここに居たという証も
骨はどうせ砂と化して消えるのに
Jun 11, 2019 5:30 AM

Apr 2019
Skellers said:
Roxas2019 said:
Anime only REMEMBER this the turning point of this series after this episode the series will change from generic anime to masterpiece
Since when has this been a generic anime? I have yet seen something with a story like this

from the context id guess he meant "great" not "generic"
its just english language skills
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 11, 2019 6:21 AM

Feb 2013
Yey they finally revealed the Jews
Jun 11, 2019 6:23 AM
Apr 2019
demision said:

The shocking part was that the rest of the world doing just fine
Jun 11, 2019 6:39 AM
May 2016
mizuharaaya said:
demision said:

This. I can't at all see how this was a predictable twist. When you think about the possibilities, this was one of the most out-there ones for the story to go with. The basement could've simply had a cure for the titans or could've simply just explained their origins, but the reveal that not only are there humans outside the wall, but there's also entire civilizations advanced enough to have things like blimps, the way the series' scope widens so, so much because of this reveal makes it one of the most ambitious twists I've seen in manga.
Jun 11, 2019 6:49 AM

Nov 2009
The reveal in this episode was just everything people theorized the whole time, whether manga-readers or anime-watchers (yo, there were clues about it all the way), so it was probably nothing surprising for some anime-onlies, but don't worry. The real basement comes next. I just hope they don't cut dialogue in the remaining 3 episodes.

People living outside is just the smallest part of the tip of the iceberg.
Jun 11, 2019 7:59 AM

Aug 2009
Was anyone else disappointed that the basement wasn't some Lovecraftian tentacle dungeon? Just me?
Jun 11, 2019 8:17 AM
May 2015
cambot1337 said:
Was anyone else disappointed that the basement wasn't some Lovecraftian tentacle dungeon? Just me?

Before the reveal, I used to joke that there was Grisha's porn stash in the basement...

...but now thinking about it, while Grisha made quite a lot of precautions to hide the books, he should've gone one step further, like Light Yagami, and hide some porn in that secret drawer - that way, whoever finds it, would probably think that this is what he was trying to hide and wouldn't look for a false bottom.
羽根を焦がす無数の鳥が
灰を散らし安らぎ笑う
誰か散らせ
僕がここに居たという証も
骨はどうせ砂と化して消えるのに
Jun 11, 2019 9:53 AM
Jan 2018
Modernoir said:
mizuharaaya said:

This. I can't at all see how this was a predictable twist. When you think about the possibilities, this was one of the most out-there ones for the story to go with. The basement could've simply had a cure for the titans or could've simply just explained their origins, but the reveal that not only are there humans outside the wall, but there's also entire civilizations advanced enough to have things like blimps, the way the series' scope widens so, so much because of this reveal makes it one of the most ambitious twists I've seen in manga.

its only predictable if people didn't ignore the foreshadowing ,
Jun 11, 2019 10:07 AM
Mar 2018
Raizel said:

already miss Erwin '-'

Have you even seen the post credits scene. That is where the basement reveal really begins to shine.
Jun 11, 2019 10:52 AM

Mar 2010
Am I the only disappointed about basement? theyre pursuing It since forever And then they reach It And It Just feels like a ordinary thing
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 11, 2019 11:35 AM

Oct 2013
BeYourself said:
Am I the only disappointed about basement? theyre pursuing It since forever And then they reach It And It Just feels like a ordinary thing

What did you learn about the basement secrets excluding that humans are living a normal life outside the walls?
Jun 11, 2019 11:45 AM

Apr 2019
bakuramariks said:
The reveal in this episode was just everything people theorized the whole time, whether manga-readers or anime-watchers (yo, there were clues about it all the way), so it was probably nothing surprising for some anime-onlies, but don't worry. The real basement comes next. I just hope they don't cut dialogue in the remaining 3 episodes.

People living outside is just the smallest part of the tip of the iceberg.

same here, i mean i can see it work without cutting dialog, considering its 5 chapters left
i don't think they would have extended this episode at such a slow pace just to cut dialog afterwards
if it goes the way i expect we will get 1 1/2 chapters for either the next or the 9th episode, the other one 2 chapters, and the 10th will be 1 1/2 because they took ymirs backstory from chapter 89 and showed it in season 2 already
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 11, 2019 12:21 PM

May 2018
Oh, so with the tech to do some spiderman things, don't know about photography ....and in that post credit scene, is that another walled up city like Titan that has World War one tech?????
Jun 11, 2019 1:02 PM

Feb 2007
Modernoir said:
mizuharaaya said:

What? We already knew Annie's gang came from the outside to destroy the walled kingdom, how can it possibly be a surprise that there's a world full of humans outside the walls? The only real surprise, if at all, is the full extent of its technical advances, since we only had some very minor glimpses into this before.
Jun 11, 2019 2:02 PM

Aug 2012
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Oh, so with the tech to do some spiderman things, don't know about photography ....

Season 3 part 1
Jun 11, 2019 3:23 PM
Apr 2019
luinthoron said:
Modernoir said:

What? We already knew Annie's gang came from the outside to destroy the walled kingdom, how can it possibly be a surprise that there's a world full of humans outside the walls? The only real surprise, if at all, is the full extent of its technical advances, since we only had some very minor glimpses into this before.

Because people expect there are full of titans out there, so they didnt think that humanity would be doing just fine outside the walls. Of course anime has much more foreshadowing than manga at this point of time, so maybe thats why manga readers didnt expect it back then
Jun 11, 2019 4:00 PM

Jul 2013
I'm so fucking pissed that the ocean wasn't in the basement

Jun 11, 2019 4:23 PM

Jan 2016
And that's why FMA 2003 is superior to Brotherhood folks!
Uh oh wrong show D:
Jun 11, 2019 7:30 PM

Jul 2012
Sw3at said:
Uh oh wrong show D:

Wrong statement too, only the first half of OG FMA anime was better, and that is excluding some average filler episodes and overall deviations.

Not sure what brought the comparison in the first place but okay.
Jun 11, 2019 8:07 PM

Mar 2015
AnimeIsBadLOL said:

please pay attention to the number of 'stars' in Grisha's armband.
9 not 6.
The number of

Jun 12, 2019 2:10 AM

Feb 2007
mizuharaaya said:
Because people expect there are full of titans out there, so they didnt think that humanity would be doing just fine outside the walls. Of course anime has much more foreshadowing than manga at this point of time, so maybe thats why manga readers didnt expect it back then

It doesn't even need any foreshadowing, though, when we have been quite literally told that they were sent here with the mission to destroy the walls and the people within. Clearly there had to be someone out there to give them this mission. Level of technology aside, this alone should have made it obvious that there were people living outside the walls.
Jun 12, 2019 2:49 AM
Jul 2018
luinthoron said:
mizuharaaya said:

It doesn't even need any foreshadowing, though, when we have been quite literally told that they were sent here with the mission to destroy the walls and the people within. Clearly there had to be someone out there to give them this mission. Level of technology aside, this alone should have made it obvious that there were people living outside the walls.
You make it seem like you have alot of brains lol. What you dont realise is that this is it was assumed that the entirety of humanity was eaten. Why was it assumed? cause where else would humanity flee to?

What people didnt expect was for humanity to be living the good life outside the walls, completely free of titan worries.

Then the question that came about is "how is humanity able to survive outside the walls? they shouldve gotten eaten."

Simple answer, the entirety of the world of AoT we knew pre-basement is situated on an island like Madagascar.

And with the titan shifters, people thought there were small societies that were managing to live among the titans like in the walking dead.
Jun 12, 2019 3:06 AM

Jun 2017
Holy shit, I can't wait to see the next episode! "i come from a land where humans live in luxury." Meaning, there are other countries existing out there contrary to what has been told to them for a very long time.
“What do you do when there is an evil you cannot defeat by just means? Do you stain your hands with evil to destroy evil? Or do you remain steadfastly just and righteous even if it means surrendering to evil?”
― Lelouch Vi Britannia
Jun 12, 2019 3:27 AM

Jan 2016
Danpmss said:
Sw3at said:
Uh oh wrong show D:

Wrong statement too, only the first half of OG FMA anime was better, and that is excluding some average filler episodes and overall deviations.

Not sure what brought the comparison in the first place but okay.
If only you'd seen the whole anime then you would have known... :/ (who the f*** cares about deviation? The following events in the manga, and I've read it until the end, aren't original at all!)
Jun 12, 2019 3:28 AM

Feb 2013
maem said:
AnimeIsBadLOL said:

9 not 6.
The number of

Oh yea because one "star" is slightly curved they totally aren't Jews
Jun 12, 2019 5:56 AM
Jun 2019
AnimeIsBadLOL said:
maem said:

9 not 6.
The number of

Oh yea because one "star" is slightly curved they totally aren't Jews
I know it's clearly not the same sign as the Jews, it's just that it has a little resemblance to the Jewish camp, where at that time Nazi locked them in a wall, it seems that the author of AOT was inspired by the historical story
Pages (9) « First ... « 4 5 [6] 7 8 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

801 by mapachefffff »»
Apr 4, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.