Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Jun 10, 2019 5:17 AM
Jul 2018
Arcos said:
luccide said:

At this point after season 2, I believed at least half of the anime-only watchers would have at least guess or predicted this as one of the possibility.

As a standalone, this episode was pretty slow and I do agree that to a certain extend, underwhelming as well.
My concern is what the manga readers are hyping up to be a masterpiece. There're quite a few show that had this relatively "similar" concept too but I don't think I've a strong impression on any of those unfortunately.

I hope SnK proves to be otherwise because SnK is already a masterpiece to me so far.
I'm surprised to find out Wit won't be handling SnK next season onwards. I wonder why since the studio have been doing such a great job all along.

You are right. Manga readers tend to overestimate the plot, since it is more time consuming to read the manga you are either a real fan or would have dropped it at this point. For anime it is a different matter.
But I do hope it will become the masterpiece thats worthy of the episodes the anime showd us in this season.
The entirety of the story so far has been an example of superb writing. Trust me, the writer knows what hes doing.
Jun 10, 2019 5:19 AM

May 2014
We're finally at the basement! The secrets of course aren't going to live up to the long wait, but it's going to be interesting nonetheless.
Jun 10, 2019 5:20 AM
Jul 2018
I dont think youll get many direct answers next episode. Cause the story so far has basically been "a story in the story". From here on out, AoT is no longer you're generic apocalyptic anime. Its a very complex world.
Jun 10, 2019 5:20 AM

Jul 2014
Even when we're finally getting to learn what's in that basement, the show still drags it out to a ridiculous degree, spending several minutes getting Armin up to speed and then the rest of the first half of the episode walking to the house. As for what was revealed, I guess I should have seen it coming but it still completely caught me out, and I'm really not sure what to expect not or how to rationalise this revelation with everything else.
Jun 10, 2019 5:32 AM

Feb 2014
I've been waiting so long for this moment, to finally find out what was stored in the basement of the Jaeger household. The answers was sort of what I was expecting, but at the same time, it still caught me off-guard when it went into Grisha's flashback when he was a kid.

The episode also did a great job at adding to the suspense before getting to the basement. The two minutes of Eren, Mikasa, Levi and Hange walking down the many streets of Shiganshina, with multiple scenes showcasing what each part of certain streets looked like before the fall of Wall Maria and the present day. Coupled with flashes of a younger Eren and Mikasa running through the streets and the excellent choice of song that matched the feeling of emptiness and quietness, this segment was very powerful for me.

All of this has left me craving for the next episode already. Looking at the preview for next time, it'll show a lot more of Grisha's past and, hopefully, show what the thoughts of Eren, Mikasa, Levi and Hange after learning about the whole truth. =)
Jun 10, 2019 5:39 AM
Jun 2019
sim0n2170 said:
Episode 56 Endcard by Mai Teshima

ohh that's so pretty, I have to make this picture as my new laptop wallpaper
Jun 10, 2019 5:43 AM
May 2019
Atavistic said:
Even when we're finally getting to learn what's in that basement, the show still drags it out to a ridiculous degree, spending several minutes getting Armin up to speed and then the rest of the first half of the episode walking to the house. As for what was revealed, I guess I should have seen it coming but it still completely caught me out, and I'm really not sure what to expect not or how to rationalise this revelation with everything else.

Im fine with slow paced episodes here on out honestly cause the fighting is pretty much done and weve had non stop action for the first 5 episodes, and considering this second half of season 3 is only 10 episodes, thats a lot.
Jun 10, 2019 5:46 AM

Jan 2009
not a good episode in terms of production quality but they are working on a tight schedule anyway so there is a chance they are pouring their production time more on later episodes that are more important
Jun 10, 2019 5:55 AM
Jan 2018
@keragamming

Jun 10, 2019 6:04 AM
Jan 2016
I got goosebumps when the letter said that there are a lot of peoples outside the walls and has a nice living...Erwin's theory is right and now I'm curious about the story of Grisha...Can't wait for next eps...
Jun 10, 2019 6:25 AM
Apr 2016
Just like expected, Armin feels conflicted now. Well, truth about the basement has finally been unveiled. So, humans do live outside too, in fact, probably a lot. Fine episode.
Jun 10, 2019 6:26 AM

Oct 2013
Atavistic said:

This is the first episode this season that adapted only 1 chapter, while the previous ones adapted 2, they had to slow down and even add fillers to pad out this episode.

If it means disappointing some folks, I would take this option all the time, because then ext episode will be adapting 2 chapters and I think the next episode will easily make up for this slow paced one.

Jun 10, 2019 6:38 AM

May 2009
God dammit this went so fast, they barely scratched the surface of the truth. I have been abstaining from reading manga, and I was hoping I get to see a lot more in this episode. But it ended when it got to the good part. I hope the next week's episode reveals a lot.
Jun 10, 2019 6:43 AM

Dec 2016
The animation had some obvious flaws (didn't note the time stamps but whatever), the ending makes no sense but well thanks to everyone who commented below ep 7 discussion, I got spoiled 39 movies 176 animes and 4397 books (sarcasm obviously)
Signature removed. Please have a positive iq.
Jun 10, 2019 6:47 AM
Apr 2018
x3mslayer said:
God dammit this went so fast, they barely scratched the surface of the truth. I have been abstaining from reading manga, and I was hoping I get to see a lot more in this episode. But it ended when it got to the good part. I hope the next week's episode reveals a lot.

Don't worry, we'll get more next week.
Jun 10, 2019 6:54 AM
May 2016
Sephyros said:
The animation had some obvious flaws (didn't note the time stamps but whatever), the ending makes no sense but well thanks to everyone who commented below ep 7 discussion, I got spoiled 39 movies 176 animes and 4397 books (sarcasm obviously)

If the ending doesn't make sense, I'd highly recommend you check out that other thread that's compiled all the evidence/foreshadowing of the Basement reveal before the anime even reached this point. It's totally worth it since it shows Isayama had planned this out from the start.
Jun 10, 2019 6:56 AM

Dec 2011
It's about to get down! YES!
Jun 10, 2019 7:02 AM

Nov 2017
That ending, holy shit that truth reveal is one of the most amazing I've ever seen. I'm getting Maze Runner vibes now. Just Sugoi
I love how Levi just casually kicks the basement door in, that's how it's done!
I've now gotten so excited about the story like never before in AOT. I so wanna see the next episode...!

plz @ me
Jun 10, 2019 7:05 AM

Sep 2014
FRACKING FINALLY! 6 years waiting was worth it. But I still feel a little blue balled. Was expecting more info on titans, not just "humans live outside the walls as well and are technologically advanced"

This episode was pretty amazing again as well, the walk through Shiganshina, their memories etc.
Once again I have to say the ED is perfect for this season.

Only 9 scouts are left. 10 if we include our Queen. Wow. Didnt expect that.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 10, 2019 7:43 AM

Jan 2014
Good episode.
However, the story went into the direction I wanted it least to go. But It was probably a given knowing all of the foreshadowings... Well, will see how it turns out to be
Jun 10, 2019 7:44 AM

Oct 2017
haoody said:
zeus-faber said:
Can someone explain that photo in short since i didn’t read the manga. It kinda caught me off guard cuz it basically seems there’s a whole society with advance technology out there somewhere and it doesn’t make any sense....

but it makes sense, they are leaking small hints some time ago. you should read this to clarify things

Welp... I obviously missed those hints lol, how does that even happen? Maybe because I didn't rewatch previous seasons and forgot most of it. Got any advice where should I start fill in the blanks since I don't want to watch all of it again..
zeus-faberJun 10, 2019 7:48 AM
Jun 10, 2019 7:58 AM

Apr 2018
Great. The mysteries of the basement has been revealed. But I do wonder why his dad have to hide it from him when Eren was still a child.
Jun 10, 2019 8:02 AM
Jan 2016
Finally, THE BASEMENT!, the flashbacks about Eren and Mikasa remembering the past was just awesome, we saw a lot of familiar faces!

So in the basement they found 3 books, probably is Eren's father past, and seems he confirms there is more humanity, and he came froma beautiful city, they even had photografhy!

I am really hyped for next episode, to know the truth!
Jun 10, 2019 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
I don't know if I'm ready for this tone shift. Getting huge The Village (M. Night Shyamalan) vibes, which is not a good thing. The fact that a lot of manga readers call what is to come a masterpiece is reassuring. I hope I'm not one of those who drop AoT out of frustration.
Jun 10, 2019 8:29 AM

Apr 2015
Loved the episode, Got chills when they entered the basement, I guess we'll know the entire truth in the upcoming episodes! :)
Jun 10, 2019 8:35 AM
Sep 2012
When the very first episode is titled "To you, in 2000 years", you kinda expect that the events of AoT don't take place in Middle Ages-like times. As an anime-only fan I'm glad this series finally got to that part.
Wit Studio delivers. An adaptation that every good series deserves and it makes you not regret reading manga ahead (shame on you OPM S2).
Jun 10, 2019 8:39 AM

Oct 2013
Nim0174 said:
@Adnash93 "By the way, did he live in something like "ghetto of poverty"?"
just wait till next week ;O as you said you can already guess its gonna revolve around him.

you guys still need to avoid spoilers for 3 weeks, don't think you are save ;O

Haha, thanks for a warning. I am curious to learn more about the society from which Grisha originates and to know more of that ghetto I mentioned before. It looked like an isolated part of the city dedicated for the poorest citizens, but who knows. A lot unexpected things had happened already in the last several episodes, why not to expect even more to come? :)
Jun 10, 2019 8:43 AM

Sep 2014
zeus-faber said:
haoody said:

but it makes sense, they are leaking small hints some time ago. you should read this to clarify things

Welp... I obviously missed those hints lol, how does that even happen? Maybe because I didn't rewatch previous seasons and forgot most of it. Got any advice where should I start fill in the blanks since I don't want to watch all of it again..
just watch it again. Its definitely worth it.
Or look at the foreshadowing thread here in the forum
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jun 10, 2019 9:21 AM

Jul 2016
Beautiful episode... Full of memories and revelations. Finally some answers!! I can't wait to know everything
Jun 10, 2019 9:26 AM

Feb 2007
Just leaving this here so we never forget the real truth of the basement.
Jun 10, 2019 9:29 AM

Apr 2019
Daniel_Naumov said:
Nim0174 said:

how do you do what? watch the stream? or speak japanese?
it would go against the site rules to advertise other sites
i can only tell you to use reddit or google for more information
if you meant the language barrier, then i can assure you that there actually are people capable of speaking the language who are not japanese xD

No I mean how do you watch NHK, unless you are Japanese? Is it available for streaming on the internet?

it would go against the site rules to advertise other sites
i can only tell you to use reddit or google for more informatio
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 10, 2019 9:42 AM
Jan 2017
as the manga reder i can feel the sensation from this episode .
i already know what gonna happen next,, but the best scene in this episode when eren open the drwler using his key and found the book,, but yeah i alredy read this,, hmmm
Jun 10, 2019 10:06 AM

Oct 2017
damn waiting all this time to learn the secret and finally they r showing us the truth. This was yet another awesome episode. Can't wait too see the next.
Jun 10, 2019 10:41 AM

Apr 2008
Now the other part I've been mostly looking forward to finally starts.
This backstory is great.

Jun 10, 2019 10:46 AM
Feb 2019

lolwut, they were jews all along

now it's all make sense

Pyotr-SamaJun 10, 2019 11:01 AM
Jun 10, 2019 11:11 AM

Oct 2017
Comander-07 said:
zeus-faber said:

just watch it again. Its definitely worth it.
Or look at the foreshadowing thread here in the forum

I guess i'll have to... thanks
Jun 10, 2019 11:27 AM

Apr 2013
So it seems like we get some diaries from Grisha in that basement and a new story unfolds about his past. Some Grisha flashbacks are on the way, seems like the place he came from was has is further technology-advanced than what we've seen so far.
Jun 10, 2019 11:36 AM
Feb 2017
Looks like we finally know that humanity existed outside the walls. Tbh I already could piece together that humanity existed beyond the walls, but good confirmation.
Jun 10, 2019 11:38 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Though it's nice that Armin managed to recover the sheer weight of what had happened after losing consciousness must have been heavy. Still at least the tension in the air was lifted. The homecoming scene though sure was nicely done making great use of the OST and flashbacks. Though Wall Maria was retaken and the basement reached the cost to the scouts were way too high. Still the revelation of what they found in the basement sure proved to be interesting. Curious to see what else lies within the books that they found in the basement. From the after credits scene it looks like we might well get to see the Malian arc once this season ends.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 10, 2019 11:49 AM

Dec 2018
So basically, I watched a 24 min episode just to know Griesha came from outside the walls, where a developed society exists/existed?
LMAO
Jun 10, 2019 11:54 AM
May 2019
justasadguy said:
So basically, I watched a 24 min episode just to know Griesha came from outside the walls, where a developed society exists/existed?
LMAO

I dont get whats so funny, also the note on the photograph said "Humanity outside the walls is NOT extinct."
Jun 10, 2019 12:00 PM
May 2016
justasadguy said:
LMAO

how does someone watch 56 episodes of this show and still somehow manage to "speedwatch" one of the pivotal episodes?
Jun 10, 2019 12:01 PM

Dec 2018
Weebover9000 said:
justasadguy said:
LMAO

I dont get whats so funny, also the note on the photograph said "Humanity outside the walls is NOT extinct."

I mean 24 mins which could have been reduced to 5 (exaggerating)...
what is funny is that they made this episode slow af, I was looking forward to see what would have come next, and they just show a photo and flashback?
After 24 mins? aight man
(I'm not mad with you bro, I'm just disappointed about how slow this ep was and no, don't say inTeLLecTuaL EpiSoDeS ArE sLoW, bc death note's eps weren't this slow)
Jun 10, 2019 12:02 PM
May 2019
justasadguy said:
Weebover9000 said:

what is funny is that they made this episode slow af, I was looking forward to see what would have come next, and they just show a photo and flashback?
After 24 mins? aight man
(I'm not mad with you bro, I'm just disappointed about how slow this ep was and no, don't say inTeLLecTuaL EpiSoDeS ArE sLoW, bc death note's eps weren't this slow)

Im not going to say the intellectual thing, but weve had 5 straight episodes up till episode 6 with non stop combat and action, so a slow paced episode or two wont hurt anyone imo. As a manga reader, I can tell theyre just trying to end the season on a solid note and not a cliffhanger, so expect the season to slow down a bit with the upcoming flashback story.
Jun 10, 2019 12:06 PM

Dec 2018
Weebover9000 said:
justasadguy said:

After 24 mins? aight man

I'm not going to say the intellectual thing, but we've had 5 straight episodes up till episode 6 with non stop combat and action, as a manga reader, I can tell they're just trying to end the season on a solid note and not a cliffhanger, so expect the season to slow down a bit with the upcoming flashback story.

Man, please tell me you are joking right now because damn 3 episodes of just flashback?!
I hope they at least tell something because let's admit it, the first 17 minutes of this episode were just skippable no cap
It's not a matter of being slow, it's a matter of not letting anything happed for more than 3/4 of an episode :(
Jun 10, 2019 12:07 PM
May 2019
justasadguy said:
Weebover9000 said:

I'm not going to say the intellectual thing, but we've had 5 straight episodes up till episode 6 with non stop combat and action, as a manga reader, I can tell they're just trying to end the season on a solid note and not a cliffhanger, so expect the season to slow down a bit with the upcoming flashback story.

Man, please tell me you are joking right now because damn 3 episodes of just flashback?!
I hope they at least tell something because let's admit it, the first 17 minutes of this episode were just skippable no cap
It's not a matter of being slow, it's a matter of not letting anything happed for more than 3/4 of an episode :(

Not all flashbacks are bad you know, just look at FMAB, its filled with them for a few episodes but they are executed perfectly, this will be one of those cases imo
Jun 10, 2019 12:10 PM

Dec 2018
Weebover9000 said:
justasadguy said:

Not all flashbacks are bad you know, just look at FMAB, its riddled with them for a few episodes but they are executed perfectly, this will be one of those cases imo

Man, you kinda relieved my stress/disappointment from this ep, thanks :3
Let's hope for a good backstory because for a shounen to go from gore to intellectual like that you need a very well done "divider" line
Jun 10, 2019 12:32 PM

Mar 2017
I'm not a patient person and i swear i'm soooo frustrated! I wanna know the secret in those books NOW! hahah

I found that scene were Mikasa and Eren were walking through Shiganshina so eerie; the fragments of life and people who will never come back and everything they once knew just a ghost town...
Jun 10, 2019 12:37 PM

Aug 2015
So I can finally say it.

Marley
Nazis
Society
Soldier
Eren Lamperouge
Jun 10, 2019 1:10 PM
Jun 2017
justasadguy said:
let's admit it, the first 17 minutes of this episode were just skippable no cap

you think it's skippable,but most fans appreciate the build up and the tension it creates,seeing eren and mikasa wondering their home and remembering how it used to be was emotional,if there was no build up and they say "ok,let's go to the basement" it would feel so underwhelming,but maybe you don't give a shit about the characters you watch this show for action and mystery,which is fine,everyone has his own taste,I can't argue with that.
Pages (9) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

801 by mapachefffff »»
Apr 4, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.