Forum Settings
Forums

2019 Anime Watching Challenge - Discussion (OPEN until DEC 15)

New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 35 36 [37] 38 39 » ... Last »
May 31, 2019 11:34 PM

Nov 2018
dierubikdie said:
gumpibaueli said:
Hi everyone :)
I am currently on Intermediate. I was wondering if I could use for example «Working!!» for the challenge «Watch an anime with a title that ends with the first letter of your username» or if the «!!» count as well.

In the challenge explanations it says «exclude any numbers and/or special characters on your username, only letters» but nothing about he anime title.

According to this post by @SheyCroix, that's fine.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

I'm currently on level on mal-badges!
May 31, 2019 11:51 PM

Mar 2013
Goodluck guys, go for it😁
Not planning to join this year.
Jun 1, 2019 11:41 AM

Dec 2014

Yes thank you ! I'll take Jojo or White Album ^^
Jun 2, 2019 9:47 AM

Feb 2016
dierubikdie said:
Lakesys said:
Hello, looking for an anime list aired in february for this challenge:

*Watch an anime that began airing the same month (any year) you joined MAL

Thank you

Oof, that's a tough one. Most Winter stuff starts airing in January. Here's a few you might try, though:

Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika - Short-form gag anime about various mental illnesses. Pretty funny and actually kind of educational.

Ryuu no Haisha (The Dragon Dentist) - Very interesting world-building and great visuals.

Joshiraku OVA - You can watch this alongside Joshiraku, but if you're crunched for time, it's funny on its own. You won't miss any sort of overarching plot (the series doesn't have one), but you will miss the character introductions from the main series.

Nodame Cantabile: Nodame to Chiaki no Umi Monogatari - Another special you can watch, it takes place after Episode 8 of Nodame Cantabile. This one probably should only be watched with the main series, but that's okay because it's stellar.

Thank you so much ♥ I will check one of this n.n
Jun 3, 2019 9:22 PM

Mar 2009
Question, I've been looking really hard for a series with three children MCs. Do dead children count? As in, ghosts who are children?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37433/Wakaokami_wa_Shougakusei

I've been considering this series and I'm not sure if it qualifies
Jun 3, 2019 10:25 PM

Jun 2009
The rules state that:

Rules said:
There are two exceptions to this rule:
  -- Anime which have more than 50 episodes can be started at any time during the challenge period.

What about an anime with exactly fifty episodes? Can I watch it earlier or not?..
Right now I'm talking about Digimon Adventure 02...

Never saw no miracle of science, that didn't go from a blessing to a curse
Never saw no military solution, that didn't end up as something worse
Jun 4, 2019 12:26 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Claptrap said:
Question, I've been looking really hard for a series with three children MCs. Do dead children count? As in, ghosts who are children?
https://myanimelist.net/anime/37433/Wakaokami_wa_Shougakusei

I've been considering this series and I'm not sure if it qualifies

I don't think dead characters count.

AlexTrusk said:
The rules state that:

Rules said:
There are two exceptions to this rule:
  -- Anime which have more than 50 episodes can be started at any time during the challenge period.

What about an anime with exactly fifty episodes? Can I watch it earlier or not?..
Right now I'm talking about Digimon Adventure 02...

It needs to have more than 50 episodes. So those that have 50 episodes won't count.
Jun 4, 2019 1:19 AM

Jun 2009
Yuki-Chan276 said:
It needs to have more than 50 episodes. So those that have 50 episodes won't count.

Does the length of an episode matter?..

Never saw no miracle of science, that didn't go from a blessing to a curse
Never saw no military solution, that didn't end up as something worse
Jun 4, 2019 7:26 AM

Jul 2014
For Ap.03: Watch the last movie of a Movie-Series, would Godzilla 3: Hoshi wo Kuu Mono count? They're not on the list provided, but these were released after the list was crated and meet the list's criteria of being " at least three movies that are directly related to each other".
Jun 4, 2019 8:18 AM
Dec 2009
@blackmagemasta You can probably message the author of the post so they can edit it. Check the bonus part if you haven't yet, newer anime have been added there so Godzilla 3 should be eligible.

On a side note, can anyone help me with this? Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread.
Malloween Candies (2023):
6 main candies
Jun 4, 2019 8:59 AM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
AlexTrusk said:
Yuki-Chan276 said:

The rule is more than 50 episodes, so duration doesn’t matter in this case.

Hexcellion said:
@blackmagemasta You can probably message the author of the post so they can edit it. Check the bonus part if you haven't yet, newer anime have been added there so Godzilla 3 should be eligible.

On a side note, can anyone help me with this? Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread.
From your PTW:
FLCL
Mushishi
Yakusoku no Neverland

Not on your PTW:
Samurai Champloo
Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster
Houseki no Kuni
bigdud24Jun 6, 2019 2:26 PM
Jun 5, 2019 10:16 AM

Mar 2014
Hi! Sorry if this was asked before, but can I use Danmachi Sword Oratoria for '(I.02) Watch an Alternative Version or Alternative Setting of something you've previously watched.' I already watched Danmachi so should be ok right?
SlarkeroJun 5, 2019 10:20 AM
Jun 5, 2019 10:39 AM

Jul 2014
Slarkero said:
Hi! Sorry if this was asked before, but can I use Danmachi Sword Oratoria for '(I.02) Watch an Alternative Version or Alternative Setting of something you've previously watched.' I already watched Danmachi so should be ok right?
Danmachi Sword Oratoria is listed as side story so it's not valid for this item.
Anime valid for this item must be listed as Alternative Version or Alternative Setting.
Jun 5, 2019 10:39 AM

May 2017
Slarkero said:

Danmachi doesn't have any related anime that is listed as "Alternative Version" or "Alternative Setting" so unfortunately that won't be valid.

Ahhh sorry for the double response, looks like I posted at the same time as mozgow.
Jun 5, 2019 10:51 AM

Mar 2014
Oh no T.T, thanks "long may the sun shine on the both of you" @mozgow @Aeradae.
Jun 5, 2019 11:39 AM

Mar 2013
I thought I signed up earlier in the year, but I must have forgotten. If I sign up now, will all the anime I've watched so far this year not count?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 5, 2019 12:06 PM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
zaverix said:
I thought I signed up earlier in the year, but I must have forgotten. If I sign up now, will all the anime I've watched so far this year not count?

It will count but please be careful not to invalidate any as you need to fit the dates within the tiers.
Jun 5, 2019 12:34 PM

Mar 2013
Yuki-Chan276 said:
zaverix said:

It will count but please be careful not to invalidate any as you need to fit the dates within the tiers.

Sorry, what do you mean by that? I'm not sure what you mean.

Jun 5, 2019 12:52 PM

May 2017
zaverix said:
Yuki-Chan276 said:

I believe Yuki just means that you need to make sure all of the anime you choose for Novice was completed before the anime you choose for Apprentice, and so on.

So if the anime you choose for Novice were watched from, let's say January 1 - May 1, then the next tier can only have anime that you started watching after May 1.
Jun 5, 2019 1:11 PM

Mar 2013
Aeradae said:
zaverix said:

I believe Yuki just means that you need to make sure all of the anime you choose for Novice was completed before the anime you choose for Apprentice, and so on.

So if the anime you choose for Novice were watched from, let's say January 1 - May 1, then the next tier can only have anime that you started watching after May 1.

Okay I just went through and read the instructions closer. It is so different than last year and way more convoluted to understand, but it looks like it will be more fun.

I have another question though. If I want to try expert, do I have to say that in the beginning or do I say novice and then change it to intermediate when I finish? Also, I still am not very clear on the turn in promise for moving to the next level? It says don't turn it in, but there has to be some formal method for moving on right? Could I get a clearer explanation please. Sorry for the hassle.

Edit one other question, what does it mean by anime used in forum set. I can't figure that out.
zaverixJun 5, 2019 1:18 PM

Jun 5, 2019 1:43 PM

May 2017
zaverix said:
Aeradae said:

Okay I just went through and read the instructions closer. It is so different than last year and way more convoluted to understand, but it looks like it will be more fun.

I have another question though. If I want to try expert, do I have to say that in the beginning or do I say novice and then change it to intermediate when I finish? Also, I still am not very clear on the turn in promise for moving to the next level? It says don't turn it in, but there has to be some formal method for moving on right? Could I get a clearer explanation please. Sorry for the hassle.

Edit one other question, what does it mean by anime used in forum set. I can't figure that out.

I didn't participate last year, but yeah I've heard it's quite different.

You can edit what difficulty you want to complete up to whenever you want. If you want to try expert you can put that in, and then if you don't end up getting to that level just change it before you turn it in.

There is no "official" method to move on. When you've watched the required number of anime you just go to the next level. You just need to make sure all of the anime you watch after is watched after the completion date for the previous level. For example, I finished Novice on April 14th so every anime I use for Apprentice needs to be started after April 14th (unless the anime is 51+ episodes, then you can start it any time you want). When you've completed as many levels as you're going to, then you turn the whole thing in.

The forum set is the avatar and signature used in the forums - for example, my avatar is Magic Kaito and my signature is Kuroshitsuji.

Hope that helps!
Jun 6, 2019 1:24 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Aeradae said:
zaverix said:

I didn't participate last year, but yeah I've heard it's quite different.

You can edit what difficulty you want to complete up to whenever you want. If you want to try expert you can put that in, and then if you don't end up getting to that level just change it before you turn it in.

There is no "official" method to move on. When you've watched the required number of anime you just go to the next level. You just need to make sure all of the anime you watch after is watched after the completion date for the previous level. For example, I finished Novice on April 14th so every anime I use for Apprentice needs to be started after April 14th (unless the anime is 51+ episodes, then you can start it any time you want). When you've completed as many levels as you're going to, then you turn the whole thing in.

The forum set is the avatar and signature used in the forums - for example, my avatar is Magic Kaito and my signature is Kuroshitsuji.

Hope that helps!

@zaverix
What Aeradae said here is a good explanation.

And yes, last year was very different as it did not feature the tier system of this year.
You can start Expert any time you want but you need to finish all other tiers, namely: Novice, Apprentice, Intermediate and Advanced as well if you want to turn in for Expert. Please do not turn in for each individual level. You can continue working your way through the challenge tiers until you've found the one you want to turn in for. And then you turn in.

The anime in your forum set is Little Witch Academia so you can put that there.

Jun 6, 2019 1:02 PM

Jan 2015
Hello,

Could I have recommendations for (Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread, please ? And also for (I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member, please ? :)

Thank you in advance :)
Jun 6, 2019 1:50 PM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
Seryla said:
Hello,

Could I have recommendations for (Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread, please ? And also for (I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member, please ? :)

Thank you in advance :)

For (Ap.29):
JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken (TV)
Flip Flappers
Megalo Box
Samurai Flamenco
Full Metal Panic!

For (I.21):
Seihou Bukyou Outlaw Star
Durarara!!
Kekkai Sensen
Koutetsujou no Kabaneri
SSSS.Gridman
Jun 9, 2019 10:17 AM
Dec 2009
A question about challenges about total time, can I use the Duration shown in the MAL page or do I have to use the actual time per episode? For example in Senyuu, it says 5 min. per ep. with 4 episodes, so if I use the duration listed in the MAL page then it should be eligible to use for 16 min. and above challenges. Need clarification here about the total time part.
6 main candies
Jun 9, 2019 10:34 AM

May 2017
Hexcellion said:
A question about challenges about total time, can I use the Duration shown in the MAL page or do I have to use the actual time per episode? For example in Senyuu, it says 5 min. per ep. with 4 episodes, so if I use the duration listed in the MAL page then it should be eligible to use for 16 min. and above challenges. Need clarification here about the total time part.

It depends on which item you want to use it for. Some of the items state that the total anime time has to be more than XX minutes, which means that the episodes can be any length as long as the anime is more than XX minutes total. Some of them state that the anime must be longer than XX minutes per episode, so short episode anime like Senyuu won't always work for those.
Jun 9, 2019 11:05 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Hexcellion said:

Use the listed duration on MAL, regardless of the actual episode length. This goes with what @Aeradae said.
Jun 9, 2019 3:14 PM

Jan 2014
Hi, could I get an anime rec for (I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member? Thanks!
Jun 9, 2019 4:06 PM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
stepikku said:
Hi, could I get an anime rec for (I.21) Watch an anime with 4 episodes or more recommended to you by a challenge team member? Thanks!
Sure thing!

Beck
One Outs
Initial D First Stage
Sidonia no Kishi
Hisone to Maso-tan
Jun 9, 2019 5:44 PM

Jan 2014
bigdud24 said:
stepikku said:
Sure thing!

Beck
One Outs
Initial D First Stage
Sidonia no Kishi
Hisone to Maso-tan

Thank you!! I think I'll go with Sidonia no Kishi or Hisone to Maso-tan.
Jun 10, 2019 1:11 AM

Dec 2012
Hey, would anyone be willing to look over my novice section before I move on? I'll leave it here for expedience and any insight would be much appreciated.

Jun 10, 2019 4:14 AM

Dec 2007
For Intermediate 8
8. Watch an anime with a voice actor that worked on 5 or less series — state the voice actor; any anime they participated as voice actor; must be 5 or less different titles/anime; don't count same franchise/character as one; you can use this blog for ideas but it's incomplete and not fully revised (valid VAs)

Does the voice actor have to be the Japanese voice, or is any language applicable?
Jun 10, 2019 5:58 AM
Dreamcatcher

Aug 2013
Bayek said:
Hey, would anyone be willing to look over my novice section before I move on? I'll leave it here for expedience and any insight would be much appreciated.

Looking over it quickly doesn't reveal anything wrong so far.

djmintlaw said:
For Intermediate 8
8. Watch an anime with a voice actor that worked on 5 or less series — state the voice actor; any anime they participated as voice actor; must be 5 or less different titles/anime; don't count same franchise/character as one; you can use this blog for ideas but it's incomplete and not fully revised (valid VAs)

Does the voice actor have to be the Japanese voice, or is any language applicable?

Any language is applicable.
Jun 10, 2019 6:15 AM

Nov 2014
Bayek said:

Looks good to me as well, just make sure you fill in that Finish Date at the top of the section :)
Jun 10, 2019 7:27 AM
Dec 2009
bigdud24 said:
AlexTrusk said:

The rule is more than 50 episodes, so duration doesn’t matter in this case.

Hexcellion said:

From your PTW:
FLCL
Mushishi
Yakusoku no Neverland

Not on your PTW:
Samurai Champloo
Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster
Houseki no Kuni

Thank you for suggesting Houseki no Kuni! I loved it, now I'm gonna be sad waiting for season 2 (if it ever comes).
6 main candies
Jun 10, 2019 7:40 AM

Dec 2012
@Yuki-chan276 @abhutrash

Thanks, I appreciate it. Onward to Apprentice then! And on that note, would anyone be willing to recommend me an anime for Ap29:
"Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread"?
Jun 10, 2019 8:48 AM

Nov 2014
Bayek said:
@Yuki-chan276 @abhutrash

Thanks, I appreciate it. Onward to Apprentice then! And on that note, would anyone be willing to recommend me an anime for Ap29:
Gotcha bro:
3-gatsu no Lion
Master Keaton
Hidamari Sketch
Asatte no Houkou.
Bartender
Jun 10, 2019 10:39 AM

Feb 2014
Hello, will need a rec for "(Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread" it HAS to be SHOUNEN, as I'm attempting the challenge with that restriction.
Jun 10, 2019 11:08 AM
King of Justice

Mar 2017
Punkero said:
Hello, will need a rec for "(Ap.29) Watch an anime recommended to you in the challenge discussion thread" it HAS to be SHOUNEN, as I'm attempting the challenge with that restriction.

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 3: Stardust Crusaders
Kuroko no Basket
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
Mahoutsukai no Yome
Jun 10, 2019 11:13 AM

Feb 2014
bigdud24 said:
Punkero said:

JoJo no Kimyou na Bouken Part 3: Stardust Crusaders
Kuroko no Basket
Yamada-kun to 7-nin no Majo
Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
Mahoutsukai no Yome

Thank you, I think I will go with either Kuroko and Yamada-kun unless Shey's hi-score challenge forces me to watch any of the other three.
Jun 10, 2019 11:53 AM

Dec 2017
Anyone got some suggestions on:
(I.18) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and tagged with 2 or less genres

Thanks in advance ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶
Jun 10, 2019 1:03 PM

Dec 2012
@Cevoy - Anitore Ex came to mind.

abhutrash said:
Bayek said:
@Yuki-chan276 @abhutrash

Gotcha bro:
3-gatsu no Lion
Master Keaton
Hidamari Sketch
Asatte no Houkou.
Bartender
As soon as I saw 3-gatsu at the top of that list, I knew it was the one. Thanks!
Jun 10, 2019 3:07 PM

Nov 2014
Bayek said:
@Cevoy - Anitore Ex came to mind.

abhutrash said:
Gotcha bro:
3-gatsu no Lion
Master Keaton
Hidamari Sketch
Asatte no Houkou.
Bartender
As soon as I saw 3-gatsu at the top of that list, I knew it was the one. Thanks!
That's why I put it at the top xD
Judging from your favorites, I suspect you'll love it.
You're welcome and best of luck with the rest of the challenge.
Jun 10, 2019 6:22 PM
Space Brother

Mar 2015
Cevoy said:
Anyone got some suggestions on:
(I.18) Watch an anime with more than 16 minutes in total and tagged with 2 or less genres

Thanks in advance ٩(- ̮̮̃-̃)۶

Yuru Camp△
Chio-chan no Tsuugakuro
Tamako Market
Doukyonin wa Hiza, Tokidoki, Atama no Ue.
Barakamon
Anime de Wakaru Shinryounaika

"An earnest failure has meaning."

"Nothing is definite in this world. But it's okay.
Some things within me are definite."
Jun 11, 2019 9:38 AM
Apr 2019
Phenom_sage said:
Nurguburu said:
26. Watch an anime with a full English title.

Can you recommend some anime to watch?

is it wrong to try to pick up girls from dungeon?
but it has Danmachi, it's jp name. I recommend something like Bleach or Amagi Brilliant Park
Jun 12, 2019 9:48 AM

Jul 2016
Can someone tell me if watching an anime movie is valid for item E.07?
'Watch an anime that finished airing with more than 5 minutes per episode and less than 500 completed members'
Yta_kawaiiJun 12, 2019 9:57 AM
Jun 12, 2019 9:54 AM

Apr 2014
Yta_kawaii said:

A movie would be valid as long as it met the other requirements.

Good Lord, BeanChagBear just walked through the clubhouse walking perfectly normally.
He said he had “no time” to talk.
Too busy watching anime, evidently.
Jun 12, 2019 9:57 AM

Jul 2016
BeanChagBear said:
Yta_kawaii said:

Thank you!! I was worried because it said 'more than 5 minutes per episode' but a movie has no episodes...
Jun 12, 2019 10:03 AM

Apr 2014
Yta_kawaii said:
BeanChagBear said:

Thank you!! I was worried because it said 'more than 5 minutes per episode' but a movie has no episodes...

Understandable. For the purposes of the challenge most movies are considered to have 1 episode but there are some movies that are split into parts and the database considers them to have multiple episodes, such as Shikioriori and Byousoku 5 Centimeter.

Good Lord, BeanChagBear just walked through the clubhouse walking perfectly normally.
He said he had “no time” to talk.
Too busy watching anime, evidently.
Jun 12, 2019 7:46 PM

Jan 2017
Friendly reminder

What happens if I have an invalid item after turning in?

-- If during the inspection of your challenge we find an invalid (an anime that doesn't fit the item requirements), you will be asked to either:

* Replace the item for another not used of the same section WITH the same anime
   * Replace the anime with another watched during the time period of that section WITH the same item

-- In case you don't have any valid anime for this or any unused item during that section's time period, you will be allowed to watch a new anime for the same item you had the invalid, after your Challenge Finish Date (date of the last watched anime for the challenge).

-- Please, keep in mind that if you have an invalid, shifting titles around with already used items will make the changes invalid (again). You need to either use unused items or new anime (not used or recently watched).

Also, our discord has suggestion for new items and removal of existing ones going on. You can join and vote on them, as well as give suggestion of your own, help others and get help a bit faster (usually) than in the forums. Find the invite link in my signature area.
AWC_modJun 13, 2019 1:44 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (48) « First ... « 35 36 [37] 38 39 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Yesterday

76 by CaptainKenshiro »»
1 minute ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

61 by perseii »»
4 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 50 minutes ago

6 by CaptainKenshiro »»
5 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - 11 hours ago

24 by 0arche »»
6 minutes ago

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

64 by Blueberry173 »»
22 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.