Forum Settings
Forums

Why is Rias Germory Such a Well Respected Character?

New
Jun 8, 2019 4:58 AM

Nov 2015
I get she has a perfect English Voice. And all aside from her body... What isn't that people respect so much about Rias Germory across many anime communities? It's like a lot of anime fans have high respect for the characters in High School DXD especially Rias.. Bugs me there's way better animated Wiafu's but they don't get nearly as much respect as Rias.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the [urlhttps://theglorioblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/swordart10ass.jpg=]Site & Forum Guidelines[/url].
Jun 8, 2019 5:08 AM

Nov 2011
Says who? She look like a generic harem girl.

Jun 8, 2019 5:09 AM

Jan 2018
45triffles said:
I get she has a perfect English Voice. And all aside from her body... What isn't that people respect so much about Rias Germory across many anime communities? It's like a lot of anime fans have high respect for the characters in High School DXD especially Rias.. Bugs me there's way better animated Wiafu's but they don't get nearly as much respect as Rias.

She aint S-tier waifu for me dawg..

S-tier waifu is Saber!!

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 8, 2019 5:10 AM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
>It's like a lot of anime fans have high respect for the characters in High School DXD especially Rias

lol what

Anyway, assuming that what you're saying is true it isn't and I'm baffled on what would lead you to this conclusion, I'd guess it's that most of them are just so dull and inoffensive for ecchi girls that there's barely anything to speak about character-wise, let alone hate, whereas praise can be derived from their appearances given that it's actually kind of fucking important for the series type they're in and the role they play in it. I just found it difficult to have a strong reaction to most of them, they exist and they are lewd. There's minor quirks to distinguish each of them, but they're nothing that really makes me latch on or care or have any vested interest in.

Rias specifically would have lead female bias playing a role in this. She gets more screentime than most, she is more prominently featured than the other females in the series, so on and so forth. That's pretty much it, it's rare for a non-lead female to be the most popular.

Really, I'd very much argue that DxD girls are some of the weakest out there for an ecchi series. The MC has more going on for him than most of the haremettes from a pure personality perspective, and he's just a loud, obnoxious, pervy battle shounen protag at most. For an H&E, that is pathetic and it's what I always felt was DxD's greatest shortcoming. It's weak as shit in the character department. It's why I have trouble holding it in the same league as a lot of its contemporaries from this type of series, and given its presence as a sort of gateway H&E, kind of like a fucking AoT or SAO for this type of anime in particular, part of me feels like it plays a huge role in the the generalization of characters from this type of series being dull in the first place. But hey, it splices battle shounen elements and formulas with H&E elements very prominently, and it's got that balance of being not-tame-enough to fail at being an ecchi, but being tame enough to be not offputting to people who aren't into these things most of the time. It's accessible, which is even better for 14 year olds who want to say "hurr I didn't dislike DxD I'm such a degenerate."

DxD never fails to bring out some elitism in me, I swear. It's just difficult not to be a bit of an ass about it >_>
ManabanJun 8, 2019 5:39 AM

Jun 8, 2019 5:30 AM

Jan 2013
No idea. I guess people just have shit taste. The only reason I even watch DxD is for Koneko and am absolutely annoyed at Rias getting 99X times more screentime and good scenes than her.
Jun 8, 2019 5:36 AM

Feb 2016
Manaban said:
>It's like a lot of anime fans have high respect for the characters in High School DXD especially Rias

lol what

Anyway, assuming that what you're saying is true it isn't and I'm baffled on what would lead you to this conclusion, I'd guess it's that most of them are just so dull and inoffensive for ecchi girls that there's barely anything to speak about character-wise, let alone hate, whereas praise can be derived from their appearances given that it's actually kind of fucking important for the series type they're in and the role they play in it. I just found it difficult to have a strong reaction to most of them, they exist and they are lewd. Rias specifically would have lead female bias playing a role in this. She gets more screentime than most, she is more prominently featured than the other females in the series, so on and so forth.

Really, I'd very much argue that DxD girls are some of the weakest out there for an ecchi series. The MC has more going on for him than most of the haremettes from a pure personality perspective, and he's just a loud, obnoxious, pervy battle shounen protag at most. For an H&E, that is pathetic and it's what I always felt was DxD's greatest shortcoming. It's weak as shit in the character department. It's why I have trouble holding it in the same league as a lot of its contemporaries from this type of series, and given its presence as a sort of gateway H&E, kind of like a fucking AoT or SAO for this type of anime in particular, part of me feels like it plays a huge role in the the generalization of characters from this type of series being dull in the first place.

When I first joined MAL ecchi harems were among most of what I was watching. Never knew anime had such awesome tropes, thought it only had battle shonens to offer. This is basically a side of battle shonen with a main focus on boobs. I like the characters and I like the voices, English and Japanese. I came for the boobs and but ultimately fell in love with gasper the cross dressing vampire hahaha. He's the strongest character in my opinion. Like Manaban said, this show is full of weak characters for an ecchi series. They literally just use their breasts to win Issei. Gaspy for best girl but besides him Akeno is my choice (I cringed the whole time with this post).

AND everyone has a decent chest except for .... YOU GUESSED IT. The neko lolita lol can't have an ecchi without some sort of neko or lolita(generic af)
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
Jun 8, 2019 5:45 AM
Mar 2018
Lewded*

FTFY                                                          
Jun 8, 2019 6:52 PM
Jun 2019
Honestly most of u who commented are childish. An anime is meant to be respected no matter what. Just cuhz it aint like what ur used to u bitch about it. Actually from the way i see it the author and creator hit it right on the nail. Their devils not humans ur looking at it from another pitiful human out looking devils dont have the same values humans do. Death is everyday. Sins are what rule them while humans r 70% ruled by sin and 30% ruled by virtue. Also devils are attracted to power so who's to say it's wrong for the female characters to want issei so bad? They follow their natural attraction towards power. And with him being the wielder of the boosted gear it makes perfect sense. And to call them glorified whores ud have to call half the female population whores bc that's exactly what most want.
Jun 8, 2019 6:54 PM
Jul 2018
You're overthinking this. People love jerking off to her. What the fuck is this about respect lol
Jun 8, 2019 6:55 PM

Jul 2007
Honestly I have never heard of this character.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jun 8, 2019 7:29 PM

Apr 2018
There's no respect involved but Hikasa Yoko's voice makes me cum
Jun 8, 2019 7:31 PM

Mar 2017
EndlessMaria said:

Are you living under a rock? It's the main female character in High school DxD
Jun 9, 2019 3:38 AM

Jul 2007
Vazka said:
EndlessMaria said:

Lol as if I'm supposed to be expected to know of every character from every generic harem anime.
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

Jun 9, 2019 3:53 AM

Oct 2010
She has red hair and big boobs, that's it. Her only personality trait is that she wants to fvck Issei but after so many episodes she still hasn't done it because retarded plot. And she's useless as a fighter, everytime she loses her clothes and Issei has to help her. I only respect Akane from Renai Boukun as a haremette.
Jun 9, 2019 3:59 AM

Dec 2009
Who?
Since I dont really care for harem anime, I dont know the character.

Its not about respect, per se. Its obvious people like her because she is a redhead and has big ''plot''
JaemaeJun 9, 2019 4:04 AM
Jun 9, 2019 4:12 AM

May 2018
Dave_Adrian said:
BestBoiEren said:

saber is an overrated, bland waifubait trash

AWWW HELLL NAWW BRUHHH, SABER BEST FUCKING GIRL RIGHT HERE

You just can't chat shit about Saber with me around bruv... gonna get some beatdown

Oh, as he is the kind of troll who can't write two coherent sentences in a row without cussing, he definitely can.

------
Other than that, never heard of this character, but as it comes from an ecchi show, I'm not so sure she'd be even well received overall. Probably to a "selected audience" but that's about it.
Jun 9, 2019 4:22 AM

May 2013
Probaably because people consider her "sure honey, you can go bang other girls, I have no issues as long as you come back to me" attitude endearing.

In short, she makes the harem/polygamy shite possible.

┐( ̄ー ̄)┌

Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 9, 2019 4:26 AM

Jan 2009
i got no motivation to watch the show that she is in but damn her sexy physical aspect is the one im sure that is getting more respected
Jun 9, 2019 4:29 AM

Sep 2014
Is she? Frankly, I never felt this is the case.
I mean, I love Rias, she's among my favourite characters and the only one coming from ecchi series, but from my experience DxD's been getting ton of flak around, like all the ecchi shows around, especially those with explicit nudity.

But well, if we're talking about people who can go beyond the retarded 'it has tits its garbage' mentality and the general anti-ecchi crowd, I guess she's well recognized and liked.
As to why? She has GREAT design combining the feel of a foreign beauty + is sexy as hell, creating this charm of a real mature girl despite being like 18 (I give a lot of credit to TNK for this one, you get none of that in the LN), she's damn charismatic and her introduction to the series as this powerful, otherworldly person who saves the protagonist and twists his world around definitely enhances that feeling.
She has likable personality and charm, is the knowledgeable person around, her leader position (at times almost motherly) and being basically a saviour of several main characters definitely adds to the whole charisma and puts her several levels above the kind of obnoxious caricatures like TLR's Lala or Rosario's Moka, she's not the bland nobody like Asterisk's Julis (or hundreds of 'characters' like her) either.
Oh and she's voiced by Hikasa Yoko who fits her character super well and is a pleasure to listen to.

IDK, Rias to me is #1 ecchi lead by a long mile.
ImaishiJun 9, 2019 4:37 AM
Jun 9, 2019 4:43 AM

Mar 2013
EndlessMaria said:

Hmm.. check this anime https://myanimelist.net/anime/11617/High_School_DxD?q=highschool%20dxd bless your innocent eyes^
Jun 9, 2019 4:46 AM

Jan 2018
deg said:
i got no motivation to watch the show that she is in but damn her sexy physical aspect is the one im sure that is getting more respected

I came here to say the exact same thing, lmao. You'll never find me watching that series, but she definitely has a nice "plot." :P

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

Jun 9, 2019 4:48 AM

Jan 2016
EndlessMaria said:
Vazka said:

Lol as if I'm supposed to be expected to know of every character from every generic harem anime.

this is probably the most popular harem anime lmao
Jun 9, 2019 4:57 AM
Jan 2012
I mean...personality-wise she's nothing new, and the anime she's part of itself isn't that respected.

There's nothing really there to praise besides looks, which isn't even that spectacular either. Long brightly colored hair, big boobs, comes off as more mature than the typical squeaky girls you see in other harem, and wants to get her freak on with the MC. That's all fairly basic character traits you'd see some ecchi and even hentai.. I assume when the writer was deciding what kind of characters should be in his work he just put a bunch of character and personality traits into a hat and drew them at random.
Jun 9, 2019 5:05 AM
Jul 2018
She's literally the only love interest I can name in an ecchi harem that is charismatic and cool.

OnionKnightRises said:
I mean...personality-wise she's nothing new

True, but is that a bad thing? I can't name a single anime character who is unique in terms of personality, or even a fictional character.

OnionKnightRises said:
the anime she's part of itself isn't that respected.

I mean, compared to series like Monster and Welcome to the NHK, DxD isn't respected at all, but I think out of all the ecchi harem anime, it's the most respected, because of how much it embraces its nature.
removed-userJun 9, 2019 5:09 AM
Jun 9, 2019 5:13 AM

Jan 2015
Dave_Adrian said:
BestBoiEren said:

saber is an overrated, bland waifubait trash

You just can't chat shit about Saber with me around bruv... gonna get some beatdown

I just did and I will keep doing it. Just spreading facts
Jun 9, 2019 5:37 AM
Jan 2012
HopefulNihilist said:
She's literally the only love interest I can name in an ecchi harem that is charismatic and cool.

OnionKnightRises said:
I mean...personality-wise she's nothing new

True, but is that a bad thing? I can't name a single anime character who is unique in terms of personality, or even a fictional character.

OnionKnightRises said:
the anime she's part of itself isn't that respected.

I mean, compared to series like Monster and Welcome to the NHK, DxD isn't respected at all, but I think out of all the ecchi harem anime, it's the most respected, because of how much it embraces its nature.

Not having anything new personality-wise is definitely a bad thing. Without that, she's just a typical ecchi character.

It's also not really respected even compared to other ecchi. There are far more that embrace their genre without just being nothing but fanservice. Kill la Kill and Keijo are obvious examples of ecchi shows that have gotten respect, with Kill la Kill having a reason for the fanservice and not skimping on everything else just for the titillation, and Keijo is just straight up ridiculous in a fun way.

DxD is not respected, it's the McDonalds of the ecchi genre. It's where you go when everywhere else is too much of a hassle to get to. The only thing I can really say is underappreciated about the show is it's hilarious English dub.
Jun 9, 2019 5:39 AM

Jul 2016
She is respected for two reasons, and you know what those reasons are
Jun 9, 2019 6:22 AM

Jan 2013
45triffles said:
>i get she has a perfect english voice
Lmao according to who?
Please learn about cel animation and its technical process.
Learn how special effects and backlighting were done without computers.

Jun 9, 2019 6:25 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
She’s the main heroine of the most mainstream ecchi anime on MAL. That’s about all the explanation you need

Still hella overrated if you ask me and nowhere even near the best girl in her own show but that’s a different story
Jun 9, 2019 9:16 AM

Jan 2018
BestBoiEren said:
Dave_Adrian said:

I just did and I will keep doing it. Just spreading facts

I swear blud, you gonna get more beatdown than what I did to a Spurs fan when he tried to chat shit on Arsenal..

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Jun 9, 2019 9:18 AM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
People don't fap to characters they respect
Jun 9, 2019 9:21 AM
Jul 2018
OnionKnightRises said:

Not having anything new personality-wise is definitely a bad thing. Without that, she's just a typical ecchi character.

Again though, no anime character is new personality wise. Not even some of the most loved characters in anime like Guts, Griffith, Johan Liebert, have personalities that are unique. It's their depth and development that make them stand out, which Rias doesn't have. Sure, maybe Rias's personality isn't unique among anime in general but among ecchi harems I'd argue it is. I can't name a single ecchi harem series, anime or manga, that I've seen/read that has a dominant main love interest like Rias. That's because most ecchi harems portray the female love interest as being very submissive; a tsundere insecure about her own feelings. I like Rias because she's the complete opposite of that: she's not submissive, she's not a tsundere, and she's not insecure about her romantic feelings at all.

OnionKnightRises said:
It's also not really respected even compared to other ecchi. There are far more that embrace their genre without just being nothing but fanservice. Kill la Kill and Keijo are obvious examples of ecchi shows that have gotten respect, with Kill la Kill having a reason for the fanservice and not skimping on everything else just for the titillation, and Keijo is just straight up ridiculous in a fun way.

I don't think Keijo is anymore respected as DxD is. In fact, I think I've seen people trash Keijo more than DxD. Though I'm just one observer, so I can't represent the majority of observers.
DxD does follow a plot, though, and becomes more plot-oriented as the series goes on. Even Mother's Basement said he found the plot interesting, and he's one of the only legit anime critics (because of how he analyzes anime's directing, plot, etc)
DxD is also ridiculous in a fun way, though. I can't count how many hilarious moments there were in DxD that had me laughing my butt off.
Also, keep in mind, Keijo and Kill la Kill are not harems; I can understand your argument that Kill la Kill and Keijo are better ecchi series, but which anime is a better ecchi harem than DxD?

OnionKnightRises said:
DxD is not respected, it's the McDonalds of the ecchi genre.

Isn't 99% of ecchi anime like McDonalds? Part of the reason I respect DxD, is that it's one of the only harem ecchi series I've seen, where I actually care about the girls, for their personalities. Sure, they're not very multi-dimensional, they won't go down in anime as the greatest characters, but they each have their own clear development, and hidden side to them. For example, Akano's backstory and her relationship with her father showed a completely different side to her. None of them come off as being too tropey to me, and props for not having a f*cking tsundere.

OnionKnightRises said:
I can really say is underappreciated about the show is it's hilarious English dub.

Now this we can agree on.

HaXXspetten said:
Still hella overrated if you ask me and nowhere even near the best girl in her own show but that’s a different story

Who do you think is best girl in DxD? I vote Akano, because she's the ara ara onee-san type + a sadist.
Jun 9, 2019 9:52 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
HopefulNihilist said:
HaXXspetten said:

Who do you think is best girl in DxD? I vote Akano, because she's the ara ara onee-san type + a sadist.
I don't have a clear favourite either but any out of Akeno, Ophis, Serafall and Koneko probably. Asia is at least undoubtedly the most useless

Though I'm not a particularly big fan of DxD in general
Jun 9, 2019 10:39 AM

Nov 2016
One thing I'm sure of is that RESPECT definitely isn't the right word but she is fine I guess

More topics from this board

» Do you drop shows? ( 1 2 )

EverRealm - Yesterday

59 by Lightskynight »»
1 minute ago

» For those who ever rewatch anything, are there any anime you can't really casually rewatch in whole or in part due to intensity?

WatchTillTandava - 3 hours ago

10 by Jackson1333 »»
4 minutes ago

» Do you fantasize about anime while you sleep?

Alpha_1_Zero - 6 hours ago

16 by deg »»
5 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 3 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

114 by -YaoiBoy- »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What position do you watch anime in?

Spunkert - Yesterday

19 by PlasticRobot »»
12 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.