Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Jun 6, 2019 11:08 PM
Nov 2017
I feel like this season was destined to be hated the second people found out it wasn’t being animated by madhouse anymore. It’s true that the animation quality has definitely gone down big time compared to the first season but that still doesn't mean the animation is terrible. The animation is actually quite good compared to a lot of anime but it just no where meets the standards set by the first season.

Once you get past the animation though, this season is almost as good as the first one. The choice of exploring more about the philosophy of what it means to be a hero and how every hero plays a different part just adds so much to the overall story. I haven’t read the manga but even if it supposedly “was better in the manga” it still works well in the anime. The art may be a buzzkill but it doesn’t justify a hate bandwagon. The fact this season even happened in the first place is a miracle.

At the end of the day this season is not perfect and obviously has its issues like any show, but it just seems that a good amount of people are just blindly hating it. If you genuinely don’t like this season for reasons besides the animation, I would like to hear it. I just want to hear someone give a good reason to not like this season.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Jun 7, 2019 12:12 PM

Jun 2014
I feel the same way. Honestly, I watched season 1 to season 2 continuously. One episode a day and I didn't think there was a noticeable difference in quality.
Jun 7, 2019 12:22 PM

Oct 2018
If I recall it was getting hated cause some of the animation chaps went away to go work with Avenger End Game and that it would cause a decrease in quality. I didn't notice much of anything going on differently.~

サディスティックな考え
"JUST KILL ME."
サディスティックマインド
Jun 7, 2019 12:51 PM

Jul 2014
Tbh the hate is lame. "Animation is trash"? well OPM still enjoyable regardless
Jun 7, 2019 12:59 PM
Aug 2016
I'm pretty sure that people would (rightfully) shit on any sequel that takes a nosedive in production values compared to its prequel, regardless if the studio/staff changed or not, take Overlord III for instance.
Jun 7, 2019 1:13 PM

Nov 2013
I don't really care about animation, the more important thing is they don't change the story or characterization
“You should enjoy the little detours to the fullest. Because that's where you'll find the things more important than what you want.”
Jun 7, 2019 1:36 PM

Apr 2016
I mean, yea some Madhouse stans do exist (and no, Mahouse wouldn't have made this any better since Madhouse fucking sucks nowadays anyway, and it was the original team of freelancers the director called up that made the visuals so good in the first place) and I do think people are overreacting, saying that the atrocious visuals ruin the anime, but this second season is still awful for a laundry list of reasons. Even the discounting the generally abysmal visuals, the presentation of the season has been pretty bad. Mediocre music, awful pacing issues, one-dimensional character writing, the stripping of a lot of the character elements that made Saitama interesting, the lack of any real flavor to the humor, characters, or world compared to season 1 (nothing here even comes close to the disgruntled and arguing alien guys from season 1 ), the inconsistencies regarding certain characters, the lack of time to let things breathe or properly introduce themselves, and the lack of any real weight given to anything all make this season a chore to watch, and I'm only still watching just to see it through to the end. Again, some people are being ridiculous, and yea the moment JC Staff was announced, there was inevitably gonna be some backlash, but man, the often nonexistent and incomplete animation, awful drawing quality, freakish CGI and action mishaps (fuck you, episode 7, you're Berserk 2016/17 bad), grotesque textures on the ground, DO-S's leather, and Genos's and Sonic's armor and metal are all far too noticeable to not be called out. JC Staff gets a lot of hate and while I don't feel the animators deserve it, the abysmal visuals of a lot of their shows nowadays really paint the picture of a badly managed and badly scheduled studio (and the scheduling for OPM 2 which involves issues like there needing to be 5 episode directors for episode 2 don't help matters in the slightest). So yea, the hate isn't there for "no reason". The quality of the anime and its visuals are nowhere near that of season 1 or any adaptation of ONE's work, and the visuals are below even your average non-action seasonal. Fucking Senko-san looks better than this.
CodeBlazeFateJun 7, 2019 1:42 PM
Jun 7, 2019 1:49 PM
Aug 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
I mean, yea some Madhouse stans do exist (and no, Mahouse wouldn't have made this any better since Madhouse fucking sucks nowadays anyway, and it was the original team of freelancers the director called up that made the visuals so good in the first place)
You're literally contradicting yourself in this sentence.
Jun 7, 2019 1:58 PM

Apr 2016
ClickBaitBuster said:
CodeBlazeFate said:
I mean, yea some Madhouse stans do exist (and no, Mahouse wouldn't have made this any better since Madhouse fucking sucks nowadays anyway, and it was the original team of freelancers the director called up that made the visuals so good in the first place)
Except no. I'm saying stans for this now down in the dumps studio exist and will say that "we need MADHOUSE to work on it", and that it was the freelancer team that just so happened to work with a few of their animators that made S1. There's no contradiction here. The stans are wrong and called stans for a reason.
Jun 7, 2019 2:15 PM
Aug 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
ClickBaitBuster said:
Except no. I'm saying stans for this now down in the dumps studio exist and will say that "we need MADHOUSE to work on it", and that it was the freelancer team that just so happened to work with a few of their animators that made S1. There's no contradiction here. The stans are wrong and called stans for a reason.
>Says that Madhouse Sucks when Madhouse make a shitty show
>Praise everyone but Madhouse when Madhouse make a good show
Yep, that's contradiction.

Anyways, here is the obligatory copypasta..

ClickBaitBusterJun 7, 2019 2:18 PM
Jun 7, 2019 2:41 PM

Apr 2016
ClickBaitBuster said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Huh, I did not know Bones and Wit rely on a ton of freelancers. Still, modern Madhouse anime often look mediocre at best and awful at worst. The new Boobiepop redesigns and art style are horrendous, Overlord (all 3 seasons and I heard the visuals get even worse after the already badly produced first season) looks like garbage, Mahouka looked and was fucking abysmal, Place Further has a gross art style and some awful CG (even tho outside of that, the show looks ok), the two new Madhouse shows (Diamond no Ace 2and Afterlost or whatever its Japanese title is) are a powerpoint presentation and a fugly CGI fest from clips I've seen, Mahou Sensou looks like garbage, ACCA did an inconsistent job at keeping its art style which I'm already sorta mixed on, and I've heard from friends that the animation in the NGNL movie is nonexistent. Yea, OPM looked spectacular, and the original NGNL looked pretty and flashy and had good and busy visuals, but most of their output nowadays (at least the ones with any coverage) don't look very good.

Yea obviously the staff changed cuz the studio changed and they couldn't even get the original director back. Everyone can see that, even those who believe that the studio doesn't matter as much as the masses believe it does. I never knew that Madhouse was openly freelance outside of that one project (especially given how spotty their shows tend to look nowadays, which almost rivals that of JC Staff's recent output in terms of lack of quality at times). I do remember hearing that their core founder and a fair amount of people left around 2014 but yea the lack of quality is definitely a management problem, like with JC Staff. Believe me, when I get around to reviewing this show, I'll definitely be mentioning the garbage scheduling which led to issues like 5 episode directors working on one episode and the show looking horrendous and hiring an inexperienced director (he only directed one show that no one cared about) because Shingo Natsume had a scheduling conflict and chose to work on Boogiepop 2019. Mismanagement really is the killer of studios and their reputation (right, video game industry?).
Jun 7, 2019 3:42 PM
Aug 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
ClickBaitBuster said:

Huh, I did not know Bones and Wit rely on a ton of freelancers. Still, modern Madhouse anime often look mediocre at best and awful at worst. The new Boobiepop redesigns and art style are horrendous, Overlord (all 3 seasons and I heard the visuals get even worse after the already badly produced first season) looks like garbage, Mahouka looked and was fucking abysmal, Place Further has a gross art style and some awful CG (even tho outside of that, the show looks ok), the two new Madhouse shows (Diamond no Ace 2and Afterlost or whatever its Japanese title is) are a powerpoint presentation and a fugly CGI fest from clips I've seen, Mahou Sensou looks like garbage, ACCA did an inconsistent job at keeping its art style which I'm already sorta mixed on, and I've heard from friends that the animation in the NGNL movie is nonexistent. Yea, OPM looked spectacular, and the original NGNL looked pretty and flashy and had good and busy visuals, but most of their output nowadays (at least the ones with any coverage) don't look very good.

Yea obviously the staff changed cuz the studio changed and they couldn't even get the original director back. Everyone can see that, even those who believe that the studio doesn't matter as much as the masses believe it does. I never knew that Madhouse was openly freelance outside of that one project (especially given how spotty their shows tend to look nowadays, which almost rivals that of JC Staff's recent output in terms of lack of quality at times). I do remember hearing that their core founder and a fair amount of people left around 2014 but yea the lack of quality is definitely a management problem, like with JC Staff. Believe me, when I get around to reviewing this show, I'll definitely be mentioning the garbage scheduling which led to issues like 5 episode directors working on one episode and the show looking horrendous and hiring an inexperienced director (he only directed one show that no one cared about) because Shingo Natsume had a scheduling conflict and chose to work on Boogiepop 2019. Mismanagement really is the killer of studios and their reputation (right, video game industry?).
>the animation in the NGNL movie is nonexistent
That's plain wrong bro.

>Overlord S1 looked like garbage
>Mahouka looked fucking abysmal.
>Mahou Sensou looks like garbage
Do you mean the art style? because otherwise the characters rarely looked off-model and the animation was definitely nowhere near abysmal

>Place Further has a gross art style
That's subjective, but I see your point.

>and some awful CG
The CGI ship was Ok, I'm not sure what are you comparing it to exactly to call it "awful", but I'm sure it's not your average anime TV show.

>their core founder and a fair amount of people left around 2014
he left in 2011, the rest of their staff start leaving progressively from that point up to 2016.

>5 episode directors working on one episode
You mean animation directors? episode 8 had 15 on top of 2 chief animation directors, They had to do it because otherwise the episode wouldn't meet the baseline quality standards to air on TV, I guess they would've needed 15 more to make the episode looks good in spite of the shitty schedule, just like Wit studio often do with Aot, but I doubt JC would or could do that.

Other than that I have no problem with rest of your post.
Jun 7, 2019 5:56 PM

Apr 2016
ClickBaitBuster said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

That's plain wrong bro.

Do you mean the art style? because otherwise the characters rarely looked off-model and the animation was definitely nowhere near abysmal

>and some awful CG
The CGI ship was Ok, I'm not sure what are you comparing it to exactly to call it "awful", but I'm sure it's not your average anime TV show.

he left in 2011, the rest of their staff start leaving progressively from that point up to 2016.

You mean animation directors? episode 8 had 15 on top of 2 chief animation directors, They had to do it because otherwise the episode wouldn't meet the baseline quality standards to air on TV, I guess they would've needed 15 more to make the episode looks good in spite of the shitty schedule, just like Wit studio often do with Aot, but I doubt JC would or could do that.

The art style for Overlord was horrible, the animation was...mediocre, and the CGI was awful. I heard all of these things get worse in the later seasons but even in S1, it wasn't good. Mahouka barely had any animation, the art style was also bleh, and I will never forgive the lighting. Mahou Sensou's art style was also this generic LN style and clips have told me the visuals don't hold up.

The CGI ship looks like foam. I dropped it at episode 1 so there's prolly more CGI.

I see. Yea my memory on that was hazy. Thanks. Didn't know the staff erosion lasted until 2016 tho.

Ah, I musta misheard/misread this whole time. They had 5 for episode 2, which is a yikes, and WHAT THE FUCK?! EPISODE 8 HAD 15?! HOLD THE FUCK UP! I NEED TO SEE THIS!
Jun 7, 2019 6:02 PM

Jan 2009
you did not read the manga so thats why you did not relate to the complains

much of the complaining on the episode discussions are from manga readers like me

majority likes the story but this anime sequel is lacking direction, execution, animation thats all and that is making the better story of this part on the manga just barely good in this anime sequel
Jun 7, 2019 7:31 PM

May 2019
It does deserve some of the hate and do yourself a favor. Read the manga
Don't be a self pretentious that is the most gayest thing ever
English Dubs are better than subs
You all have anime profile pic so you opinion doesn't count
Your Waifu is trash
Cory in the house is the best anime
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFQQALduhzA
Japanese are one of the most xenophobic nations
My Anime List looks like a website from 1990s
Jun 7, 2019 9:07 PM
Aug 2016
CodeBlazeFate said:
ClickBaitBuster said:
That's plain wrong bro.

>and some awful CG

The art style for Overlord was horrible, the animation was...mediocre, and the CGI was awful. I heard all of these things get worse in the later seasons but even in S1, it wasn't good. Mahouka barely had any animation, the art style was also bleh, and I will never forgive the lighting. Mahou Sensou's art style was also this generic LN style and clips have told me the visuals don't hold up.

The CGI ship looks like foam. I dropped it at episode 1 so there's prolly more CGI.

I see. Yea my memory on that was hazy. Thanks. Didn't know the staff erosion lasted until 2016 tho.

Ah, I musta misheard/misread this whole time. They had 5 for episode 2, which is a yikes, and WHAT THE FUCK?! EPISODE 8 HAD 15?! HOLD THE FUCK UP! I NEED TO SEE THIS!
Ok, now I know that you have two problems . First, you're mixing "bad anime" and "badly animated anime", especially with Mahouka and Mahou Sensou. Second, you consider any show that doesn't have big sakuga moments almost every episode "barely animated".

Well first, let's get Overlord II/III out of the way, they were shit, everything about them was shit, no one argue otherwise, but you have to give credit to S1 for being consistent, yes it used still shots and CGI way too much, and the art-style was a huge degradation from the original LN, but the drawings were consistent, and there was good animation where it mattered the most, which more than I can say about a lot of LN adaptations:

Regarding Mahouka, as I said, calling it "barely animated" is one hell of a stretch, it seems that the whole show being so bad that you gave it 1/10 affected your judgement of its production values, the over-saturated color schemes and the glowy atmosphere are subjective, I liked them personally, and the art-style is exactly the same as the LN:

Or just see those if you don't want to go through all that crappy editing:

>The CGI ship looks like foam. I dropped it at episode 1 so there's prolly more CGI
I mean, I could've understand if the characters themselves were CGI, but come on dude, the ship is just a static object, if I go by that logic then AoT and Kabaneri would also be crap, because they sure use more CGI than SoraYori.

About OPM S2, just check the ending credits of that episode, "animation director" in Japanese is written (作画監督), "chief animation director" is written (総作画監督)
ClickBaitBusterJun 7, 2019 9:16 PM
Jun 7, 2019 10:58 PM
Nov 2016
ClickBaitBuster said:

>The CGI ship looks like foam. I dropped it at episode 1 so there's prolly more CGI
I mean, I could've understand if the characters themselves were CGI, but come on dude, the ship is just a static object, if I go by that logic then AoT and Kabaneri would also be crap, because they sure use more CGI than SoraYori.

Hating on something just because is CGI is not right but to be fair, AoT has some CGI here and there but it doesn't bother us that much because everything else is awesome in that anime and this includes the directing, music, sound effects, voice acting and awesome animation, all of these things combined makes us forget about that CGI stuff and AoT has maintained pretty good consistency so far with all 3 seasons which are pretty much quality material and this is something that needs to be praised because a lot of the times the quality drops in animes in the 2nd season and up. I can't say the same for OPM S02 because everything that I mentioned is lacking here and the irony is that the CGI parts doesn't bother me in OPM S02, personally the CGI in OPM S02 is not that bad so Genos arms or metallic objects doesn't bother me that much, it could've been worse, everything else though is horrendous.

I haven't watched Koutetsujou no Kabaneri so I won't talk about that one.

Wit Studio (the one from Attack on Titan) should be the one handling One Punch Man, I don't trust Madhouse anymore, the recent animes from Madhouse are mediocre as well.
Jun 8, 2019 1:14 AM

Mar 2014
Honestly OP you shouldn't let the haters get to you. If you love season 2, continue enjoying it and share it with the people who do, ignore the haters.

We're so close to the end of this season at this point its useless to acknowledge the haters, since this is the case almost every anime season.
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
Jun 8, 2019 3:02 AM
Jul 2016
ClickBaitBuster said:
I'm pretty sure that people would (rightfully) shit on any sequel that takes a nosedive in production values compared to its prequel, regardless if the studio/staff changed or not, take Overlord III for instance.

also dragon ball and one piece was have the same anime production studio and the quality changed so people expecting one punch man season 2 to have the same quality as season 1 with madhouse while they didn't kept the quality of overlord season 1 in the next seasons lmao
Jun 8, 2019 3:05 AM

Jan 2009
todd2580 said:
ClickBaitBuster said:

also dragon ball and one piece was have the same anime production studio and the quality changed so people expecting one punch man season 2 to have the same quality as season 1 with madhouse while they didn't kept the quality of overlord season 1 in the next seasons lmao

err its unfair to compare long running TV shows to short running TV shows

a long running TV show will eventually have production schedule problems meanwhile short TV series like 12 episodes once should have more better production schedule and thus better animation quality than long running TV series

Hunter X Hunter 2011 is like an exception to this rule though
Jun 8, 2019 3:27 AM
Jul 2016
xZabuzax said:
ClickBaitBuster said:

Hating on something just because is CGI is not right but to be fair, AoT has some CGI here and there but it doesn't bother us that much because everything else is awesome in that anime and this includes the directing, music, sound effects, voice acting and awesome animation, all of these things combined makes us forget about that CGI stuff and AoT has maintained pretty good consistency so far with all 3 seasons which are pretty much quality material and this is something that needs to be praised because a lot of the times the quality drops in animes in the 2nd season and up. I can't say the same for OPM S02 because everything that I mentioned is lacking here and the irony is that the CGI parts doesn't bother me in OPM S02, personally the CGI in OPM S02 is not that bad so Genos arms or metallic objects doesn't bother me that much, it could've been worse, everything else though is horrendous.

I haven't watched Koutetsujou no Kabaneri so I won't talk about that one.

Wit Studio (the one from Attack on Titan) should be the one handling One Punch Man, I don't trust Madhouse anymore, the recent animes from Madhouse are mediocre as well.

Wit is overworked too so nope they are dying with Aot and other works like that viking anime and what keeps Aot decent is it have some professional animators that can work on tight schedule but still tiring and that's why part 2 of season 3 will the last one wit ever produce since as a studio is not profitable since production I.G is who gets it all also the CGI in OPM S2 isn't much and genos's arm is just bright colors in episode 2 and 3 episode 1 was CGI since it seems it was the least episode they worked on it with episode 7
Jun 8, 2019 3:34 AM
Jul 2016
deg said:
todd2580 said:

err its unfair to compare long running TV shows to short running TV shows

a long running TV show will eventually have production schedule problems meanwhile short TV series like 12 episodes once should have more better production schedule and thus better animation quality than long running TV series

Hunter X Hunter 2011 is like an exception to this rule though

well the anime industry have alot of demands with a shortage of animators so expecting some works to be good and bad in animation as result but i blame the production committee of OPM on that i actually think J.C Stuff could do something if they were given enough time but since the production committee didn't want it to be like AOt season 2 very late and they just needed profit as it's an commercial plan for them but yeah still it's their fault
Jun 8, 2019 3:43 AM

Mar 2013
I'm just here for incredibly misinformed and wrong elitist guy. He really makes my day.
Jun 8, 2019 3:53 AM
Jul 2016
BlackCracka said:
I feel like this season was destined to be hated the second people found out it wasn’t being animated by madhouse anymore. It’s true that the animation quality has definitely gone down big time compared to the first season but that still doesn't mean the animation is terrible. The animation is actually quite good compared to a lot of anime but it just no where meets the standards set by the first season.

Once you get past the animation though, this season is almost as good as the first one. The choice of exploring more about the philosophy of what it means to be a hero and how every hero plays a different part just adds so much to the overall story. I haven’t read the manga but even if it supposedly “was better in the manga” it still works well in the anime. The art may be a buzzkill but it doesn’t justify a hate bandwagon. The fact this season even happened in the first place is a miracle.

At the end of the day this season is not perfect and obviously has its issues like any show, but it just seems that a good amount of people are just blindly hating it. If you genuinely don’t like this season for reasons besides the animation, I would like to hear it. I just want to hear someone give a good reason to not like this season.

" It’s true that the animation quality has definitely gone down big time compared to the first season but that still doesn't mean the animation is terrible. The animation is actually quite good compared to a lot of anime but it just no where meets the standards set by the first season. "

yeah people expected it to be like season 1 but they dumb that it'll the same quality or and for people didn't expected it to be in season 1's quality at least expected it to be in the level of MHA but J.C Staff is overworked with a lot of works (they have 4 Anime series this summer) so it was expected to be less than MHA but it's not that bad and actually J.C Staff is trying even in a tight schedule also the lack of animators on this season doesn't help that's why some of the battles are become simple and they might struggled to find good animators to work on this season with the less time they have but they have at least some good animators also studio LAN (SSSS Gridman , Kabaneri Movie , JOJO 5) helped them in the first half of episode 8

as i watched the first 5 episodes the pace is good slow but decent i have to say also the director might be struggling but at least he tries to do his job fine also he have an 2 episode OVA in the upcoming summer so that's what isn't helping his case too so i feel sorry for him than the others that might hate him and it's not totally his fault lmao
todd2580Jun 8, 2019 3:56 AM
Jun 8, 2019 5:20 AM

Jul 2012
It definitely doesn't deserve the low scores that people give like 1 to 5
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jun 8, 2019 5:45 AM
Jul 2016
Shadzzo said:
It definitely doesn't deserve the low scores that people give like 1 to 5

episode 1 6.5
episode 2 6.8
episode 3 7.5
episode 4 7.8
episode 5 6.3
episode 6 7
episode 7 ???
episode 8 ???
Jun 8, 2019 6:18 AM
Dec 2017
I think the hate is because of trashy direction.

In episode 8, just count the number of monster cells whenever they appear on the screen and you will explore a whole new field of mathematics. I know mathematics does not matter in anime but still, people like me point out every mistake that makes the episode bad.
Jun 8, 2019 8:16 AM

Apr 2016
ClickBaitBuster said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

Ok, now I know that you have two problems . First, you're mixing "bad anime" and "badly animated anime", especially with Mahouka and Mahou Sensou. Second, you consider any show that doesn't have big sakuga moments almost every episode "barely animated".

Well first, let's get Overlord II/III out of the way, they were shit, everything about them was shit, no one argue otherwise, but you have to give credit to S1 for being consistent, yes it used still shots and CGI way too much, and the art-style was a huge degradation from the original LN, but the drawings were consistent, and there was good animation where it mattered the most, which more than I can say about a lot of LN adaptations:

Regarding Mahouka, as I said, calling it "barely animated" is one hell of a stretch, it seems that the whole show being so bad that you gave it 1/10 affected your judgement of its production values, the over-saturated color schemes and the glowy atmosphere are subjective, I liked them personally, and the art-style is exactly the same as the LN:

Or just see those if you don't want to go through all that crappy editing:

About OPM S2, just check the ending credits of that episode, "animation director" in Japanese is written (作画監督), "chief animation director" is written (総作画監督)
I mean, some shows can work with limited animation. Berserk 1997 is prolly the best example I can think of, but Happy Sugar Life plays on wacked out imagery to make up for there not being much in the animation department, and Fate/Extra Last Encore is so incredibly beautiful, detailed, and full with lots of well-animated, small character movements as well as imaginative and gorgeous locations that it can get away with not having to many big sakuga moments outside of some of the fight scenes. Mahouka, OPM 2 and Overlord don't have that excuse, especially Mahouka and OPM 2 since Overlord 1 at least has some great cuts here and there, and OPM 2 just generally looks like garbage.

Wew, this really speaks to how bad 2 and 3 are when the CGI is apparently even worse and they can't even keep their art style (one I don't like) consistent. Yea S1 at least managed that and a few neat cuts, but I still wouldn't say it is a well-animated show or that it has overall good visuals. Definitely better than say, The Asterisk War tho. Those first two and the fifth bit you linked on there are actually pretty good but the third and fourth are awful. I did forget about most of those sakuga cuts tho.

I mean, Mahouka is primarily people just sitting and standing with all the info-dumps and whatnot taking up approximately a third or more of the total runtime, and there's not much movement in most of the fight scenes or character interactions. The art style is the same in the LN but that's my problem: I don't like this generic LN art style. I despise their oversaturated lighting filter that has no reason to be there and no congruency with the bland world and hideously bright and garish uniforms, as it all just hurts my eyes to look at, forcing me to squint a lot of the time when I watched the show. Clips 1 and 2 are pretty standard stuff apart from the zooming in. Clip 3 is less decent, with some moments that feel floaty and awkward, bad zooms and shakycam (I don't even know how you get shakycam in an anime) and one bad editing moment where the characters each backflip to different ends of the screen at one moment, only for the very next shot to be of them already in close quarters combat without any transition. I fucking hate clip 4. Mindless flipping around and CGI ground, that god awful, overly bright and saturated lighting, it all is just so hard to look at. The final one is a decent explosion cut (barring how unreasonably bright it is.) Funny enough, No Game No Life has way more animation and detail, less CGI, and colors that blend with the overly bright lighting to make the show less eye-searing and more justified in-universe.

The CGI in Kabaneri was less awful than the foam ship, but then again, I can't comment on Sora Yori too much outside of episode 1. The ship being a static object makes the CGI even less excusable since it's not even really moving like that CGI monster in Kabaneri episode 6 (yea I looked back at AoT ads and clips, and the CGI is quite terrible at points, like with the CGI Colossal Titan). Kabaneri at least had beautifully detailed artwork tho since the art style was by Haruhiko Mikimoto, and the team managed to keep that surprisingly consistent while still having good fight animation and beautiful character designs. Can't comment about the quality of AoT overall since I don't remember much from S1 several years ago and I haven't seen anything past that.

oof, video is unavailable, but I'll take your word for it.
Jun 8, 2019 12:06 PM

Jun 2010
What I can't wrap my head around is all the talk about poor animation.

They got so used to watching high-quality anime that they demand nothing less than perfection. Damn, you guys are entitled as all hell.

People should be grateful at how far animation has come and cut the shows some slack.
Jun 8, 2019 1:27 PM
Apr 2019
The only thing one punch man had going for it was it's visual spectacle, take that away and it's nothing. Dry comedy, weak story, unbeatable mc and one punch is a really boring gimmick.
Jun 8, 2019 1:31 PM

Jan 2009
Fayez_bin_A said:

They got so used to watching high-quality anime that they demand nothing less than perfection. Damn, you guys are entitled as all hell.

People should be grateful at how far animation has come and cut the shows some slack.

>poor animation
>should be grateful at how far animation has come

pick one since those 2 does not compute together

i rather they do this sequel in full 3DCG done by either SANZIGEN or Orange studio for example
Jun 8, 2019 1:45 PM

Apr 2016
Fayez_bin_A said:

No one should be grateful for this. No one asked for this (they asked for season 2, but not for a botched product made by people who are horribly mismanaged and badly scheduled). This is low-quality even by the standards of anime that have been coming out nowadays, which generally don't look anywhere near as good, fluid, or detailed as anime of previous years and decades. We should be thankful for the Mob Psycho 100 and Redlines of the world, the stellar titles made by passionate, seemingly well-run studios and people, not stuff like this, where it's cynically shat out by companies who destroy their staff working on way too many shows a season for next to no pay, without any heart, soul, or talent being put in. Hell, I've liked many shows with decent or even lackluster visuals like Happy Sugar Life and Fairy Tail respectively. Some do overreact but even still, let's not do this. What you're demanding is this:

Enjoy it if you may, but let's not demand others to curb their criticism just so you can enjoy your shit in peace (which you can do anyway since unless the criticisms speak to you, none of this should impact your enjoyment).
CodeBlazeFateJun 8, 2019 1:49 PM
Jun 8, 2019 1:46 PM

Jan 2009
Fayez_bin_A said:

>poor animation
>should be grateful at how far animation has come

pick one since those 2 does not compute together

i rather they do this sequel in full 3DCG done by either SANZIGEN or Orange studio
or if they want to be more cheap then just do a full color of the manga
Jun 8, 2019 2:53 PM

Jun 2010
CodeBlazeFate said:
Fayez_bin_A said:

No one should be grateful for this. No one asked for this (they asked for season 2, but not for a botched product made by people who are horribly mismanaged and badly scheduled). This is low-quality even by the standards of anime that have been coming out nowadays, which generally don't look anywhere near as good, fluid, or detailed as anime of previous years and decades. We should be thankful for the Mob Psycho 100 and Redlines of the world, the stellar titles made by passionate, seemingly well-run studios and people, not stuff like this, where it's cynically shat out by companies who destroy their staff working on way too many shows a season for next to no pay, without any heart, soul, or talent being put in. Hell, I've liked many shows with decent or even lackluster visuals like Happy Sugar Life and Fairy Tail respectively. Some do overreact but even still, let's not do this. What you're demanding is this:

Enjoy it if you may, but let's not demand others to curb their criticism just so you can enjoy your shit in peace (which you can do anyway since unless the criticisms speak to you, none of this should impact your enjoyment).
That's all pretty fair and sound, but I think you misunderstood my suggestion or used my post to bring up another point or something.

To clarify, you and another guy who quoted me seem to think that I'm asking for people to enjoy the show despite its animation. I think you both misunderstood my point: its animation is great IMO. Not the best I've seen, but it's well within modern-day standards. I don't see myself as an old-timer by any stretch, but I did watch enough anime on VHS to know that it has come a long way, so it's kinda sad that not many people appreciate what they have at the moment.

It's a curious trend in general, not even limited to anime. People who moved from Atari to PS1 thought that graphics can't get any better than that, whereas those that started gaming later on tend to be more critical on graphics.

In the end, there's a ton of stuff you can gripe about in OPM. It was always built on a flimsy gimmick but the animation really shouldn't be on the list of things wrong with OPM's anime.
Jun 8, 2019 3:06 PM

Apr 2016
Fayez_bin_A said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

That's all pretty fair and sound, but I think you misunderstood my suggestion or used my post to bring up another point or something.

To clarify, you and another guy who quoted me seem to think that I'm asking for people to enjoy the show despite its animation. I think you both misunderstood my point: its animation is great IMO. Not the best I've seen, but it's well within modern-day standards. I don't see myself as an old-timer by any stretch, but I did watch enough anime on VHS to know that it has come a long way, so it's kinda sad that not many people appreciate what they have at the moment.

It's a curious trend in general, not even limited to anime. People who moved from Atari to PS1 thought that graphics can't get any better than that, whereas those that started gaming later on tend to be more critical on graphics.

In the end, there's a ton of stuff you can gripe about in OPM. It was always built on a flimsy gimmick but the animation really shouldn't be on the list of things wrong with OPM's anime.
Anime has definitely changed and yea a lot of people really take the look of modern anime for granted and don't understand that everything (or nearly everything when they got their hands on CGI) was hand-drawn back before the 2000s, but I don't think this anime, with its almost nonexistent animation, constant model errors and drawing inconsistencies, awful ground, leather, and metal textures, and CGI mishaps is a good example of the power of modern anime. Shows like Mob Psycho 100 are excellent examples of the power of modern, computer-drawn anime, just like a lot of great and popular games throughout the past decade or so have raised the bar of 3D game graphics. At the same time, I wouldn't dare sleep on the best-looking games or anime of old or great-looking newer titles that can recreate older styles (like Shovel Knight for 8-bit and Kabaneri for Haruhiko Mikimoto's legendary art style for series like Macross and Gunbuster).

I don't have too many complaints about season 1, let alone its visuals. I have a laundry list of issues with season 2, and the laundry list of issues with season 2's production values is one of my grievances with the show. Most people here will gush about amazing-looking modern anime, of course, and a lot of people have noted that most modern anime don't look as stellar as people say they do, making their praise for the visuals of the best of today's anime all the more earned. Most people are kinda oblivious to bad visuals unless it's super obvious for almost anyone like with Hand Shakers or Berserk 2016. The fact that OPM 2 is being treated somewhat similarly is a good thing, as it shows there is some level of vigilance amongst the general anime populous, even if it is unfortunate that this show had to have this fate. Apologies if I misinterpreted what you said, but man did it come off as "wow, you people are so ungrateful, this looks amazing so stop whining".
CodeBlazeFateJun 8, 2019 3:10 PM
Jun 8, 2019 4:25 PM

Jun 2010
CodeBlazeFate said:
Fayez_bin_A said:

Anime has definitely changed and yea a lot of people really take the look of modern anime for granted and don't understand that everything (or nearly everything when they got their hands on CGI) was hand-drawn back before the 2000s, but I don't think this anime, with its almost nonexistent animation, constant model errors and drawing inconsistencies, awful ground, leather, and metal textures, and CGI mishaps is a good example of the power of modern anime. Shows like Mob Psycho 100 are excellent examples of the power of modern, computer-drawn anime, just like a lot of great and popular games throughout the past decade or so have raised the bar of 3D game graphics. At the same time, I wouldn't dare sleep on the best-looking games or anime of old or great-looking newer titles that can recreate older styles (like Shovel Knight for 8-bit and Kabaneri for Haruhiko Mikimoto's legendary art style for series like Macross and Gunbuster).

I don't have too many complaints about season 1, let alone its visuals. I have a laundry list of issues with season 2, and the laundry list of issues with season 2's production values is one of my grievances with the show. Most people here will gush about amazing-looking modern anime, of course, and a lot of people have noted that most modern anime don't look as stellar as people say they do, making their praise for the visuals of the best of today's anime all the more earned. Most people are kinda oblivious to bad visuals unless it's super obvious for almost anyone like with Hand Shakers or Berserk 2016. The fact that OPM 2 is being treated somewhat similarly is a good thing, as it shows there is some level of vigilance amongst the general anime populous, even if it is unfortunate that this show had to have this fate. Apologies if I misinterpreted what you said, but man did it come off as "wow, you people are so ungrateful, this looks amazing so stop whining".
I see, that's a good take. You seem to be more invested in the subject than I do, so I'll take your word for it. Thanks for the insight. :-)

No need to apologize, you weren't the only one to misunderstand my post, so it's more likely to be a mistake on my part. English is not my native language.
Jun 8, 2019 5:37 PM
Jul 2016
Ankit_Gupta_ said:
I think the hate is because of trashy direction.

In episode 8, just count the number of monster cells whenever they appear on the screen and you will explore a whole new field of mathematics. I know mathematics does not matter in anime but still, people like me point out every mistake that makes the episode bad.

the director is still a beginner and he's working on a tight state so that's expected so don't blame him plz it's a result of factors that lead to this...
todd2580Jun 9, 2019 4:35 PM
Jun 9, 2019 1:41 PM

Aug 2016
ClickBaitBuster said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

My dude here just brought out the FACTS and LOGIC.

Holy shit. Well said.
Jun 9, 2019 8:47 PM

Aug 2017
One of the top reviews is some idiot trashing the animation and not saying a thing about anything else and gave it a 1.

Because of these jerks I doubt we’ll get another season.
"Whether doing good or evil, I will be the boss."

Jun 10, 2019 12:37 AM

Jul 2016
MakoChoppo said:

If BD/DVD sales are bad, then sure. Some random English fans' review on an English site won't affect Japan's reception that much lol (If Japan fans was as disappointed as us then it's different story lol).

JFuji said:
ClickBaitBuster said:

Holy shit. Well said.

And then the shills keep defending the show like it's masterpiece and flawless lol.
MahiaErebeaNegiJun 10, 2019 12:43 AM
Jun 10, 2019 6:18 AM
Jul 2016
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
MakoChoppo said:

If BD/DVD sales are bad, then sure. Some random English fans' review on an English site won't affect Japan's reception that much lol (If Japan fans was as disappointed as us then it's different story lol).

JFuji said:

Holy shit. Well said.

And then the shills keep defending the show like it's masterpiece and flawless lol.

it have flaws for sure but it isn't that bad yeah the battles are like toku live action series which isn't fit OPM but it can work sometimes especially the sound effects can provide some feel for the situations but in a way fit the way battles are done....
Jun 10, 2019 6:49 AM

May 2015
I stopped watching the show over a month ago and I don't know if I'll ever finish it or not. And it's not just the animation that made me stop. The whole show just felt off. I got much more enjoyment out of reading the manga than I did with S2.

Jun 10, 2019 6:59 AM
Feb 2016
It's true the animation isn't as good as S1, but it's still enjoyable to watch. Read the manga if you are still aren't statisfied it will make you forgot with it's awesome artwork of Yusuke Murata-sensei.
Jun 10, 2019 7:28 AM

Jul 2016
todd2580 said:
it have flaws for sure but it isn't that bad yeah the battles are like toku live action series which isn't fit OPM but it can work sometimes especially the sound effects can provide some feel for the situations but in a way fit the way battles are done....

I'm referring to those fans who defends the show from any criticism without any reason other than "Nur as guud as S1 bat it yiz stell greet!", even if the criticism is logical and does make sense.

todd2580 said:
toku live action series

I don't remember that I have ever says this in my previous comments lol. Also, in which way OPM2's fight looks like live action series like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai? Because the fights looks more like Naruto fight than live action series me lol.
Jun 10, 2019 7:57 AM

Apr 2018
@BlackCracka

I dont know if you realize it or not, but you already mentioned one of the reason of why people hate this season, and yet you said that people hating on season 2 for no reason, wtf?
Jun 10, 2019 7:58 AM
Jul 2016
MahiaErebeaNegi said:
todd2580 said:

I'm referring to those fans who defends the show from any criticism without any reason other than "Nur as guud as S1 bat it yiz stell greet!", even if the criticism is logical and does make sense.

todd2580 said:
toku live action series

I don't remember that I have ever says this in my previous comments lol. Also, in which way OPM2's fight looks like live action series like Kamen Rider and Super Sentai? Because the fights looks more like Naruto fight than live action series me lol.

i mean they use some special sound effects and the cgi that planet with used To compensate the lack of animation in fights but it looks like naruto's one but when not given much time since in the end some of food wars's animators did worked on pierrot's hit shows like naruto and bleach
Jun 10, 2019 8:13 AM

Aug 2017
TsukuyomiREKT said:
I stopped watching the show over a month ago and I don't know if I'll ever finish it or not. And it's not just the animation that made me stop. The whole show just felt off. I got much more enjoyment out of reading the manga than I did with S2.

Anime over manga any day
"Whether doing good or evil, I will be the boss."

Jun 10, 2019 8:17 AM
Sep 2017
Fayez_bin_A said:
CodeBlazeFate said:

It seems absurd to give this show a pass because it looks better than old shows. Like yes, that should be standard with advances in animation technology and techniques. I am currently watching Fist of the North Star and it has recycled animation galore. I give it a pass on that type of stuff because it was a long-running shonen in an age when animation of any real kind was beyond the budget of a weekly show. When I see this show pull out limited animation and blur to make the fight scenes look halfway decent I am far less forgiving, because with how much animation has progressed in the last 35 years they really ought to give us better for important fight scenes.
Jun 10, 2019 9:23 AM
Jul 2016
sdrexler said:
Fayez_bin_A said:

It seems absurd to give this show a pass because it looks better than old shows. Like yes, that should be standard with advances in animation technology and techniques. I am currently watching Fist of the North Star and it has recycled animation galore. I give it a pass on that type of stuff because it was a long-running shonen in an age when animation of any real kind was beyond the budget of a weekly show. When I see this show pull out limited animation and blur to make the fight scenes look halfway decent I am far less forgiving, because with how much animation has progressed in the last 35 years they really ought to give us better for important fight scenes.

J.C Stuff can do something as season 1 (you see taboo tattoo's animation if you don't believe me) but as a cause of other factors that didn't happened
the problem also that J.C Staff have alot of shows (some of their other shows are action like Index S3 , accelerator , danmachi movie and S2 and previously date alive S3) to work on and OPM S2 seems have less animators , time and talent so they're in a kinda bad state especially they might didn't found enough animators in the beginning of the season because some of them are busy or don't want to work on less time you can blame on here since they packed up alot of works but you can't really blame them since the whole industry is overworked too
Jun 10, 2019 9:54 AM
Sep 2017
todd2580 said:
sdrexler said:

J.C Stuff can do something as season 1 (you see taboo tattoo's animation if you don't believe me) but as a cause of other factors that didn't happened
the problem also that J.C Staff have alot of shows (some of their other shows are action like Index S3 , accelerator , danmachi movie and S2 and previously date alive S3) to work on and OPM S2 seems have less animators , time and talent so they're in a kinda bad state especially they might didn't found enough animators in the beginning of the season because some of them are busy or don't want to work on less time you can blame on here since they packed up alot of works but you can't really blame them since the whole industry is overworked too

I would agree that the industry as a whole is in trouble. This is part of why I dislike people comparing OPM S2 to the average show; the average show isn't that good and it's not a bar that anyone should be using to defend a work. The proliferation of mediocre works is a major overarching problem that the industry has brought upon itself and that contributes to hurting shows that could be great, and I believe that we should refuse to support shows that do not meet a minimum standard of quality. A standard that is not artificially lowered by comparing to shows made decades ago when modern animation techniques did not exist.

Despite that, there are much better shows out there that manage to avoid the failings of the average show (which are remarkably similar to the failings of shows from decades ago, albeit somewhat better hidden due to SFX). Shows that start with similarly limited resources and come out with really good animation, like OPM S1 or Mob Psycho. If JC Staff painted themselves into a corner by scheduling too many shows and not being able to get good enough staff, then that's their problem.
Pages (4) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jul 2, 2019

389 by THEBIGNOODLER »»
Apr 10, 2:30 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xShinigami3125 - Jun 25, 2019

200 by Craneface »»
Mar 28, 2:52 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

xShinigami3125 - May 7, 2019

244 by scorpioniclibra »»
Mar 14, 3:26 PM

Poll: » One Punch Man 2nd Season Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

xShinigami3125 - Apr 23, 2019

367 by Dr_tardo »»
Feb 21, 6:24 PM

» Bro deadass nearly died

Mei-o_Scarlett - Jan 17

3 by Mei-o_Scarlett »»
Jan 17, 3:07 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.