Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]
Jun 8, 2019 7:47 AM
Mar 2018
dc22 said:
thiago52192 said:

Mindless hating popular things just for the sake of being popular fits a lot more on a definition of a bubble

They're not bad because they're popular, but they are certainly overrated because of it. Deflecting criticism with ad populum is a falacy.

Nostalgik said:

Ohhh friend... i didnt expect this from you.
>"How bad popular shows ACTUALLY are"
That's called a bias. You think that is the right opinion, when in fact it's just your opinion - which may be legitimate - but still just an opinion.

Yeah it's an opinion that I'm expressing on a open speech forum, mostly to counter the circlejerk. What's the problem here?

Lucette_C said:

Let me dismantle the arguments here for you.
For starters, this guy's main argument is 'AoT has lots of plot armor even though the fandom hails it to have no plot armor'. This is completely untrue, because the majority do not hail it to have no plot armor. For exp, Reiner being commonly known as 'plot armor Titan'.
Secondly, plot armor does not make a show bad. If characters were randomly killed off before they achieve their purpose, that would be bad writing. Certain characters need to stay alive to push the storyline forward and serve certain goals. So they will stay alive until that purpose is fulfilled. If you think that's such a terrible thing... Well what are you doing here? Drop the show completely because it isn't for you.
Lastly, AoT is tagged as 'drama', so some scenes are there to create drama and be entertaining. While remaining in the realm of the reasonable.
And so, the main argument in this video just doesn't hold up.

I'd like to point out that this guy also held many misinformed, biased views about AoT, such as in his comments: 'Titans are nerfed' 'Mikasa has no emotions' 'Eren is a one dimensional character' 'AoT fails to explain how they got in to that state of conflict'. Overall it's just fueled by misconception and bias.

I understand having different opinions, but when you make a video with so many unfair and wrong ideas... It only goes to show how these arguments stem from ignorance and hatred.

Sure some of these things might be borderline bashing, but I think Mikasa and Eren are fairly one note characters typical of shounen. As is most of the AoT cast. Why is one of the reasons why this show never ressonated with me on more than a superficial level.

Eren has shown plenty of development as a character though,maybe even more so than the character which is my username.
Jun 8, 2019 8:38 AM

Dec 2015
dc22 said:
thiago52192 said:

Mindless hating popular things just for the sake of being popular fits a lot more on a definition of a bubble

They're not bad because they're popular, but they are certainly overrated because of it. Deflecting criticism with ad populum is a falacy.

Saying something is overated because it is popular is also absurd. Specially talking about a show that made a lot of non anime watchers (people who clearly have a prejudgement on this type of the show and don't care about something being popular on the anime community) love the show and some of them call it a masterpiece.

Ad populum is when someone defend an argument just because it's popular, which is something that I clearly didn't do. My comment was saying it's stupid to think something is bad because it's popular. Changing the argument of a person just to defend your own fits on the definition of Straw Man falacy.
BetterTasteJun 8, 2019 10:08 AM
Jun 8, 2019 10:21 AM

Oct 2013
TsukuyomiREKT said:
dc22 said:

Yeah the only channel that calls out how bad the majority of popular shows actually are. Stay in your bubble.

Stay a butthurt hipster who's only criticism is a buzzword.

Like you? No thanks.

thiago52192 said:
dc22 said:

Saying something is overated because it is popular is also absurd. Specially talking about a show that made a lot of non anime watchers (people who clearly have a prejudgement on this type of the show and don't care about something being popular on the anime community) love the show and some of them call it a masterpiece.

Ad populum is when someone defend an argument just because it's popular, which is something that I clearly didn't do. My comment was saying it's stupid to think something is bad because it's popular. Changing the argument of a person just to defend your own fits on the definition of Straw Man falacy.

Non anime watchers liked the show in the first place because of it's initial shock factor, it was just like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. It's not like those people know any better, their just following normcore shows.

Your argument is that my hate of the show was because it was popular so it was a Straw Man from the first place. It's not because it's popular, it's because people only watch AoT and think it's a masterpiece, without having knowledge of the medium.
Jun 8, 2019 10:40 AM

Oct 2013
dc22 said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Like you? No thanks.

thiago52192 said:

Non anime watchers liked the show in the first place because of it's initial shock factor, it was just like The Walking Dead or Game of Thrones. It's not like those people know any better, their just following normcore shows.

Your argument is that my hate of the show was because it was popular so it was a Straw Man from the first place. It's not because it's popular, it's because people only watch AoT and think it's a masterpiece, without having knowledge of the medium.

Ok, and even if that was the case, what about now? Its been 6 years since season 1, a lot of these anime fans are now hardcore fans that watch plenty of anime since season 1 debut not only that they had to watch snk season 3 part 1 which was mostly politics and human vs human battle to get here, now we are here and its getting a lot of praise, and it is more impressive this time than back in 2013 because majority of these praise are from hardcore anime watchers.

Not following your previous discussions, but not sure why we are even going back to 2013 in the first place.

Jun 8, 2019 10:49 AM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
dc22 said:

Like you? No thanks.

Ok, and even if that was the case, what about now? Its been 6 years since season 1, a lot of these anime fans are now hardcore fans that watch plenty of anime since season 1 debut not only that they had to watch snk season 3 part 1 which was mostly politics and human vs human battle to get here, now we are here and its getting a lot of praise, and it is more impressive this time than back in 2013 because majority of these praise are from hardcore anime watchers.

Not following your previous discussions, but not sure why we are even going back to 2013 in the first place.

It's still the same people watching it. Those that didn't like it have long since dropped it, so it's no wonder the score keeps rising.
Jun 8, 2019 11:10 AM

Dec 2015
dc22 said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Like you? No thanks.

thiago52192 said:

Why liking something on the beggining because the initial shock value is bad? Personally, shock value is probably the best way to start a series because it shows it has a potential of not being another average show (if done correctly of course, because a lot of shows have tried to do that and failed completely).
Sure, it needs to develop upon this inital shock, but each episode of SNK is doing that. In the case of Game of Thrones it was also doing fine, until the writers fucked up the last couple of seasons. TWD did get worse, but it's rare finding someone who defend it now.

My argument was indeed about you hating because it was popular because that was what your initial comment was insinuating. When you clarified after what your argument actually was, I adressed correctly. I also don't think it's really necessary to have a knowledge of the anime medium to understand the quality of the show. If someone already have a experience on watching movies and series, they can already understand most of the components that this medium has. I've watched the show a long time ago, when I basically only watched 20-30 shows, and now that I've watched more than 200, my opinion stays the same. Analysing those components is just gonna be a battle against different opinions, so to each their own
BetterTasteJun 8, 2019 11:20 AM
Jun 8, 2019 11:13 AM

Oct 2013
dc22 said:
keragamming said:

It's still the same people watching it. Those that didn't like it have long since dropped it, so it's no wonder the score keeps rising.

No shit sherlock! Its a sequel series who else would be watching it? The point I am making is that majority of the folks watching part 2 are not casual anime watcher, there was a 4 years gap between season 1 and 2, during that time they got years to watch other anime and refine their taste and to know what they will like and dislike, it has been six years since season 1, saying these people are still casual normies is bullshit.

And stop the bull crap about the score of this season, season 3 part 1 ended in October of last year with basically the same score as season 1, heck season 2 is rated lower than season 1, so that is definitely not the real reason why the score is so high compare to previous reason.

It just means that this season has click the right boxes that the majority is enjoying it than the previous season.

You would have a argument only if season 2 and 3 had a big jump in score over season 1, but in reality season 3 only is higher by a slight margin, the jump in score from s3 part 1 to s3 part 2 is far too big to make such a conclusion.

Every anime watcher starts as a casual first, people that are following the series after more than half a decade is clearly into this medium and not just the series alone.

Your 2013 argument is too outdated to have any validation now, perhaps you didn't realize that so many years has past since season 1?

Think about it, the ps4 wasn't even out yet when snk was airing, heck you didn't even join this website yet when snk was airing. Its a long ass time dude, I have even seen some folks on this website calling the 1st season of snk as being a old anime. Lmao
keragammingJun 8, 2019 11:33 AM
Jun 8, 2019 11:47 AM
Apr 2017
all the episodes rating on imdb above 9.0 except 1 episode from the first season(8.9)
s3 part 2 E05 now is back to be number 1 above Chernobyl
for me AOT is the best anime
Jun 8, 2019 1:10 PM

May 2015
dc22 said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

Like you? No thanks.

thiago52192 said:

They don't need to have knowledge of the medium to call it a masterpiece. Even if it's literally the only anime they've seen, they can still call it that. Different opinions exist kid.

Jun 8, 2019 1:15 PM

Oct 2013
keragamming said:
dc22 said:

No shit sherlock! Its a sequel series who else would be watching it? The point I am making is that majority of the folks watching part 2 are not casual anime watcher, there was a 4 years gap between season 1 and 2, during that time they got years to watch other anime and refine their taste and to know what they will like and dislike, it has been six years since season 1, saying these people are still casual normies is bullshit.

And stop the bull crap about the score of this season, season 3 part 1 ended in October of last year with basically the same score as season 1, heck season 2 is rated lower than season 1, so that is definitely not the real reason why the score is so high compare to previous reason.

It just means that this season has click the right boxes that the majority is enjoying it than the previous season.

You would have a argument only if season 2 and 3 had a big jump in score over season 1, but in reality season 3 only is higher by a slight margin, the jump in score from s3 part 1 to s3 part 2 is far too big to make such a conclusion.

Every anime watcher starts as a casual first, people that are following the series after more than half a decade is clearly into this medium and not just the series alone.

Your 2013 argument is too outdated to have any validation now, perhaps you didn't realize that so many years has past since season 1?

Think about it, the ps4 wasn't even out yet when snk was airing, heck you didn't even join this website yet when snk was airing. Its a long ass time dude, I have even seen some folks on this website calling the 1st season of snk as being a old anime. Lmao

Season 3 part 2 is definitely delivering on what the fans want, at least more than the last ones. Hype is a powerful drug.

And only 200k people are watching S3 part 2, it's long gone from the 1.5M of the original season. Casuals or not, they're rather diehard AoT fans on a whole.
Jun 8, 2019 1:20 PM

Apr 2019
@dc22 you are excellent at stating the obvious its fascinating, i don't know what u are trying to achieve with the discussion, but the moment u posted the video link to that moronic video all your credibility went out the window right into the passing garbage truck
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 8, 2019 4:08 PM

Sep 2018
Two weeks after episode 5 and still in top 1 on IMDb, this is historic for the anime world
I keep moving forward
Jun 8, 2019 5:29 PM

Oct 2013
Nim0174 said:
@dc22 you are excellent at stating the obvious its fascinating, i don't know what u are trying to achieve with the discussion, but the moment u posted the video link to that moronic video all your credibility went out the window right into the passing garbage truck

Apparently it's still not so obvious to you that the show is grossly overrated.
Perhaps try to look past the memeworthy presentation into what the video is actually saying.
Jun 8, 2019 7:10 PM

May 2015
dc22 said:
Nim0174 said:

Perhaps try to look past the memeworthy presentation into what the video is actually saying.

Apparently it's still not so obvious to you that your opinion isn't objective fact.
Perhaps try to dismount that high horse.

Jun 8, 2019 9:26 PM

Apr 2019
dc22 said:
Nim0174 said:

did your mama not teach you that your opinion is worthless in society?
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 8, 2019 9:28 PM

Jan 2013
TsukuyomiREKT said:
dc22 said:

Apparently it's still not so obvious to you that your opinion isn't objective fact.
Perhaps try to dismount that high horse.

Pot calling the kettle black.

Nim0174 said:
dc22 said:

did your mama not teach you that your opinion is worthless in society?

Don't be surprised if other people think your opinion is worth the same then.
Jun 8, 2019 10:41 PM

Apr 2015
Someone lock this thread already, there's nothing worth discussing in here.
Jun 8, 2019 10:57 PM

Feb 2018
dc22 said:
keragamming said:

Season 3 part 2 is definitely delivering on what the fans want, at least more than the last ones. Hype is a powerful drug.

And only 200k people are watching S3 part 2, it's long gone from the 1.5M of the original season. Casuals or not, they're rather diehard AoT fans on a whole.

Because it's still airing? Because the first season was 6 fucking years ago. As if people didn't go inactive between these 6 years?

Talk about being delusional. You can't even come up with valid arguments. You're just restricted to "You guys cannot see how overrated this is" to "only a handful of people are watching this".

PS: DiTF was definitely AOTY 2018.
Jun 9, 2019 6:19 AM

May 2009
Thread locked for not encouraging discussion.

Another score thread that ended as all the others before did...

Threads about ranking and scores just encourage flame wars between people who liked the show and people who disliked it. They don't promote any kind of actual discussion.

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (5) « First ... « 3 4 [5]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

801 by mapachefffff »»
Apr 4, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.