Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »
Jun 2, 2019 3:09 PM

May 2016
Eniie said:
ABDoesThings said:

The only reason you find it ridiculous is because you don't like the writing choice Isayama took, no offence. Just because you don't like a writing choice doesn't mean it's cheap. Simple as that, if you wanted Armin to die that bad of a heroic death, well ohkay? Obtaining Titan Powers has a twist to it anyways.

No, I wanted armin to survive, I never wanted him to die. But if you're going to raise the stakes and have him literally get beyond toasted and people in this show die with far less, then you have to stick to your guns instead of going for a low effort fakeout, because that's what it was, he a good execution and got scared, and backpedalled out of it.

Pretty sure is not the case that he "got scared and backpedalled" more so than he already planned to give Armin the serum from the start.

It's not like he thought of the possibility minutes later, those kinds of things are planned.
You are not your body, you are your brain, the "self" that emerges from within it.
Jun 2, 2019 3:12 PM
May 2016
Weebover9000 said:
keragamming said:

Bertholdlt isn't like Erwin who can face death head on, its as simple as that. Getting eaten alive is one of the scariest way to go and I think most will agree with me on that.

We were just talking about how 180 it was for his development in the episode he transformed in, no one was comparing him to Erwin, but rather his development and then having that reaction after saying words like he can accept ANY outcome.

But it's clear that was all bluster. Even Armin and Mikasa pointed out after Bert told the two they had to die just because that it didn't sound at all like Bertholdt. He didn't become emotionally stronger, he relied far more on the idea that he didn't need to justify his actions because of the cruellness of the world as a coping mechanism to be able to do his mission. When all that failed and he was left with the grim reality of his failure of course his coping mechanism wouldn't work, that's why he died the way he always was, a scared kid until the end.
Jun 2, 2019 3:13 PM
May 2019
Modernoir said:
Weebover9000 said:

We were just talking about how 180 it was for his development in the episode he transformed in, no one was comparing him to Erwin, but rather his development and then having that reaction after saying words like he can accept ANY outcome.

But it's clear that was all bluster. Even Armin and Mikasa pointed out after Bert told the two they had to die just because that it didn't sound at all like Bertholdt. He didn't become emotionally stronger, he relied far more on the idea that he didn't need to justify his actions because of the cruellness of the world as a coping mechanism to be able to do his mission. When all that failed and he was left with the grim reality of his failure of course his coping mechanism wouldn't work, that's why he died the way he always was, a scared kid until the end.

Either way, my quoting was intended as a joke, wasnt my intention for anyone to take it seriously.
Jun 2, 2019 3:13 PM
Oct 2012
Modernoir said:
Eniie said:

No, I wanted armin to survive, I never wanted him to die. But if you're going to raise the stakes and have him literally get beyond toasted and people in this show die with far less, then you have to stick to your guns instead of going for a low effort fakeout, because that's what it was, he a good execution and got scared, and backpedalled out of it.

But it's not like he would've been fine simply for showing signs of life like he did in this ep. The sole reason his survival works is because of the serum, which was built up for ages. We KNEW that someone was going to be brought back to life, and Armin just barely being able to hang on makes sense given what we were shown (that he was burnt completely on the outside but couldn't breathe, therefore his lungs couldn't have burned completely from the steam, plus his fall was lessened as a result of that.)

Also it's a bit dumb to call it backpedalling considering the story is STILL ongoing, and this event still holds significance later on as well as it sets up so much. This series doesn't do cop-outs, that much is clear at least with just how much payoff we're getting with literally everything in the next arc. Try not to judge the series as if this is where everything ends, there's still plenty of time to see how this plot goes, it doesn't directly go against everything because the context was already pre-set up to happen to begin with

Nobody is judging the series based on this scene alone. Not even this episode. I thought the episode was good, I'm just disappointed that they cheapened the last episode by presenting no form of consequences or risk to their fight. Erwin is the first ever developed character to be killed in this show. It is back-pedal from the previous episode, and so far they copped out from Armin's action. whether that changes later doesn't really matter. Again, I love this series, and the episode was pretty good. I just feel like they undermined the last episode a lot.

Yes we always knew someone was going to be healed by the titan powers. the crucial and important emphasis they had is that the person has to be alive, implying and directing us that if a character was dead they wouldn't be revived, which is the cheap fakeout that was done regarding to Armin.
Jun 2, 2019 3:15 PM
Aug 2018
This episode is just lit!!
i loved how they stopped music completely just because its a discussion on the roof by these comrades, there is no action, fighting, no need for an ost, just at the end, when every thing is settled, this powerful music kicks and omg!!!
i believe levi made the right choice! erwin just said it himself, he's lying over and over again, he only wants to discover the truth, and i believe to defeat the enemy, you need to be strong but human too, armin as stated in the episode was the key for every success they did, so yeah!
lastly, this is one of the best voice acting ive ever heared! thanks Wit studios and i wish the studio to take over this anime to treat it the way wit is treating it, with love and ambition!
Jun 2, 2019 3:15 PM
Oct 2016
The real concern here is who are the 3 fucks who voted "Hated it"!!!!!!!
Hands down one of the top 3 episodes so far if not the top. And one of the top episodes in anime world.
Jun 2, 2019 3:16 PM

Oct 2013
Weebover9000 said:
keragamming said:

Bertholdlt isn't like Erwin who can face death head on, its as simple as that. Getting eaten alive is one of the scariest way to go and I think most will agree with me on that.

Isn't that the point though? Saying it is a lot more easier than showing it when the moment comes, I can tell myself that I'm not scared of being eaten a live, but when it happens it is a different story.

Also something similar to this will happen again in a episode or two from now.

Its regular theme Isayama uses in the series.
keragammingJun 2, 2019 3:19 PM
Jun 2, 2019 3:17 PM
Aug 2018
I honestly did not expect such controversy over Admin survival; for me, it made sense as to why he got to be revived (although Erwin is still my favorite =D). Also, people complaining about plot armour *cough* Supernatural *cough* Haha, just kidding, know many love that show.

I believe every show have their own flaws and own glorious moments, but it is such a bummer to see multiple people watching this anime without acknowledging both aspects. Kinda ruins the mood for everyone.
Jun 2, 2019 3:18 PM
May 2016
Weebover9000 said:
Modernoir said:

Either way, my quoting was intended as a joke, wasnt my intention for anyone to take it seriously.

Oh sorry, it's hard to tell on the internet sometimes ahah.

Eniie said:
Modernoir said:

But it's not like he would've been fine simply for showing signs of life like he did in this ep. The sole reason his survival works is because of the serum, which was built up for ages. We KNEW that someone was going to be brought back to life, and Armin just barely being able to hang on makes sense given what we were shown (that he was burnt completely on the outside but couldn't breathe, therefore his lungs couldn't have burned completely from the steam, plus his fall was lessened as a result of that.)

Also it's a bit dumb to call it backpedalling considering the story is STILL ongoing, and this event still holds significance later on as well as it sets up so much. This series doesn't do cop-outs, that much is clear at least with just how much payoff we're getting with literally everything in the next arc. Try not to judge the series as if this is where everything ends, there's still plenty of time to see how this plot goes, it doesn't directly go against everything because the context was already pre-set up to happen to begin with

Nobody is judging the series based on this scene alone. Not even this episode. I thought the episode was good, I'm just disappointed that they cheapened the last episode by presenting no form of consequences or risk to their fight. Erwin is the first ever developed character to be killed in this show. It is back-pedal from the previous episode, and so far they copped out from Armin's action. whether that changes later doesn't really matter. Again, I love this series, and the episode was pretty good. I just feel like they undermined the last episode a lot.

Yes we always knew someone was going to be healed by the titan powers. the crucial and important emphasis they had is that the person has to be alive, implying and directing us that if a character was dead they wouldn't be revived, which is the cheap fakeout that was done regarding to Armin.

The thing is, you're only talking like this because you're hot off the heels of the last ep and this ep. It might feel like they cheapened Armin's death by bringing him back to life in this one, but genuinely speaking as a manga reader who's seen the rammifications of these actions unfold in the manga, this twist really doesn't cheapen the impact of anything, if anything by the time this season's over you may already get a feeling of why this was actually a more tragic turn of events.

I won't tease too much and I can respect your opinion, but I implore you to go on ahead with an open mind. Isayama isn't the type of writer who just does cheap cop-outs because he's out of ideas.

And to be fair, we (well most of us) also presumed Erwin was entirely dead until this episode. It would've been a perfect way for Armin to go out, as a hero, and the denial of that for some viewers I can understand is frustrating.
Jun 2, 2019 3:18 PM
May 2019
xXrosaliciousXx said:
I honestly did not expect such controversy over Admin survival; for me, it made sense as to why he got to be revived (although Erwin is still my favorite =D). Also, people complaining about plot armour *cough* Supernatural *cough* Haha, just kidding, know many love that show.

I believe every show have their own flaws and own glorious moments, but it is such a bummer to see multiple people watching this anime without acknowledging both aspects. Kinda ruins the mood for everyone.

Sadly this is how it went down when the manga chapter of this dropped so I kinda expected it to happen in this thread too
Jun 2, 2019 3:19 PM
Apr 2019
Weebover9000 said:
keragamming said:

But you have to consider what he said before and after. He didnt mean that because he is ready to face death. He confident that they would win. ANY outcome he meant is that even if all his friends from SC dead, he would accept that. He wouldnt break down. He wouldnt ask for forgiveness.
Jun 2, 2019 3:22 PM

Jan 2018
Such an amazing episode! I'm crying

Jun 2, 2019 3:23 PM
May 2019
@Lel0uchZer0

Eren acted suicidal in season one, episode 5, charging head first when the titan ate Thomas causing the death of all of his squad, ignoring all of them telling him to stop. So your point on no one acting this crazy is wrong.
Jun 2, 2019 3:24 PM
Oct 2015
One of the very few anime that made me cry and feel so deeply. *Sob*
Thank you!
Jun 2, 2019 3:28 PM
May 2019
Lel0uchZer0 said:
Weebover9000 said:
@Lel0uchZer0

Eren acted suicidal in season one, episode 5, charging head first when the titan ate Thomas causing the death of all of his squad, ignoring all of them telling him to stop. So your point on no one acting this crazy is wrong.

I mean this episode xD
Eren still the dumbest there is

" I call her out because no one acts this crazy in that whole anime" This phrasing kinda made me think you meant the entire show with "that whole anime"
Jun 2, 2019 3:38 PM
Jan 2019
Maybe it wasn't quite a free fall. Berthold was releasing a lot of steam, hot air, so maybe Armin kind of floated a little until he reached the ground.
Jun 2, 2019 3:38 PM

Dec 2015
Oh man we are only 2 episodes away from the biggest reveal in History of Anime!
Jun 2, 2019 3:43 PM

Aug 2014
incredible episode.

they really did a good job on this one wow
Jun 2, 2019 3:48 PM
May 2013
the debate betwen Levi and eren etc is to realistic. this anime should be no 1 in Top MAL.
Jun 2, 2019 3:54 PM
Apr 2019
Trash, why is this like fairy tail psuedo killing off characters
Jun 2, 2019 4:04 PM
May 2016
Hope folks can see and understand, that this is the actual SnK, not those flashy titan fights, huge war moment, but these tiny pieces of intense drama and emotion and the characters. I keep on saying this, but this show is not about action, its a psychological mystery drama!
And people blabbing on Mikasa jumping Levi, u all win soon know, and then you will realize that Isayama is a genius storyteller and king of foreshadowing. Every tiny detail matters in SnK and has some relation to the overarching plot.
Jun 2, 2019 4:06 PM

Nov 2016
Most emotional AoT episode so far, almost brought me to tears.

Erwin was an amazing guy and he will be deeply missed, but great that we got to keep Armin.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jun 2, 2019 4:09 PM

May 2018
Of course the plot armor titan escapes AGAIN lol
Jun 2, 2019 4:11 PM

Feb 2008
The piano by Sawano at the end.

Bertolt crying for help.

The entire episode, or almost, with no soundtrack at all.

Almost cried, but how I wish I didn't read the manga before this. The basement awaits.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
Jun 2, 2019 4:12 PM
Nov 2017
I really respect erwin
He was Never selfish
Levi on the other hand had to do the right thing.
Plot Armour being so perfect
Jun 2, 2019 4:13 PM

Apr 2019
Ameen_Aftab said:
Hope folks can see and understand, that this is the actual SnK, not those flashy titan fights, huge war moment, but these tiny pieces of intense drama and emotion and the characters. I keep on saying this, but this show is not about action, its a psychological mystery drama!
And people blabbing on Mikasa jumping Levi, u all win soon know, and then you will realize that Isayama is a genius storyteller and king of foreshadowing. Every tiny detail matters in SnK and has some relation to the overarching plot.

its actually amazing how its a point of criticism of Mikasa's Character until we get

Its such a seemingly unimportant Detail but it will have an insane Impact when we get there in S4.

just Hope Season 4 will come eventually, i want to see that with Voice Acting ;O
You son of a .. turtle

Jun 2, 2019 4:13 PM

Nov 2017
Excellent episode!

It does not bother me that there is nearly no OST (and the opening in passing), as long as the tension has not yet fallen. Special mention to the Seiyū who is AMAZING!!

Even if I do not like Bertolt too much, seeing the very first opponent of the anime being devour by Armin is malaisant but sad at the same time. :/

RIP Erwin. It's really sad that he died when he almost realized his dream.
Jun 2, 2019 4:14 PM
Jan 2019
holy shit this was amazing, fantastic direction and excellent voice work.
Jun 2, 2019 4:20 PM

Jan 2018
Are people really upset that Armin was still barely breathing? Anyway great episode!! Anyone seen those terrible subs with Titan Titan? (Beast Titan)
Jun 2, 2019 4:23 PM
May 2019
Frostbytes said:
Best comedy episode, Snk always delivers with its stupid plot armours.

>Armin gets lethal burns on his entire body and falls from such a high wall, an absolutely fatal position
>"Oh but look, since he is one of the main characters, he is still barely alive and breathing!!! So get the serum!"

And hence follows the subsequent drama. Hilarious episode, even more funny that Reiner's plot armour from few episodes ago.

Damn im late to join debate
What a way to broke the mood of this episode with this stupid argument.
Why i said this stupid argument?
Because your trying to using logic on anime.
The whole 3DMG and levi action is such a bullshit when you think with logic how the f*ck he doesn't broke his fucking bone with that kinda speed and maneuver.

Every anime look stupid if you tried to use too much logic on them.
Roxas2019Jun 2, 2019 4:33 PM
Jun 2, 2019 4:25 PM
Jun 2015
Dariat said:
Of course the plot armor titan escapes AGAIN lol
IKR That cart Titan just randomly shows up and snatches them up. Annoying!
Jun 2, 2019 4:27 PM

Aug 2018
This episode, like the one we watched last week, deserved another 5/5 or even 6/5.

An episode full of intense discussions, with a permanent tension above everyone's head. Armin being saved - somehow - by Erwin's last "order" was very strong ! The major himself dedicated his whole life for a single goal but decides to give it up at the price of someone else's life... he can now rest in peace.

Jun 2, 2019 4:33 PM

Aug 2018
Holy shit this episode was good, had me in tears.
I use Arch, btw.
Jun 2, 2019 4:34 PM

Dec 2015
I hated S2 & S3 part 1 of AoT
But goddamn, episodes like this make me realise this season has stepped the quality back up.
Jun 2, 2019 4:40 PM
Jan 2019
judex__ said:
I really respect erwin
He was Never selfish
Levi on the other hand had to do the right thing.
Plot Armour being so perfect

Nah... erwin is the most selfish character in shingeki
Everything he sacrificed was actually just for HIM to see REACH HIS FATHER DREAM.. point to the line
Sums erwin life for ya
Jun 2, 2019 4:51 PM

Jan 2014
Bertolt's death screams were super satisfying... Well done episode...
Jun 2, 2019 4:53 PM
Apr 2016
What a tragic episode...it was so hard to watch, felt heavy in my chest. Well, a situation like this has been talked about many times in animes like Naruto, but it never really happened...I guess it's hard to write it. The voice actors did justice. Amazing episode.
Jun 2, 2019 4:58 PM

Aug 2012
Oh yes, the biggest asspull of snk.
This part is the manga fault, so I cant criticise the anime. The anime just follows whats in the manga.
But Armin still being alive after falling from that height is just ridiculous.
This is the unique valid point anyone can have against snk. Its really bad and I cant defend it.

Btw, I dont consider Reiner transfering is consciousness across his nervous system an asspull. All of it happened in the same chapter. Isayama was trying to show to the reader the extent of titan shifters powers. Its always been like that. In shingeki no kyojin, the reader learns something new every chapter about the titans. Theres never going to be a chapter/episode where all the information about the titans is going to be explained. Its always a little by little.
Jun 2, 2019 5:02 PM

Jan 2013
Seeing Mikasa cry like that actually got to me but I was still kinda hoping the syringe would get destroyed or something just to make things more interesting. The scene foreshadowed in that trailer did not live up my expectations unfortunately but it's probably because they hyped it up more than they should have. I guess I was expecting a major fuckup on Eren's part or something for Levi to react like that rather than a verbal disagreement that they resolved anyway.
Ah well, it was still a good episode though.

"Next episode: The Basement". Fucking Christ it's finally time. There better be something real good down there after all these years of waiting otherwise I'm gonna be pissed.
Jun 2, 2019 5:02 PM

Nov 2015
Man... the tears were flowing.

Katsura janai, Zura da

Jun 2, 2019 5:13 PM

Jun 2016
I can not say this enough aot was and is amazing anime, such a powerful episode
hit me right in the feels with the decisions that levi had to make
and the voice acting was so top notch like I could feel the pain in their voices w/o them
over selling the emotion or the classic scream loud af to seem MORE SAD
This series is up there in shounens for amongst the ranks of HxH 2011
Jun 2, 2019 5:15 PM

Jun 2015
Sasuga of course the plot armour in attack on titan is as bs as ever. Disappointing episode overall.
Jun 2, 2019 5:16 PM
May 2019
Frostbytes said:
Best comedy episode, Snk always delivers with its stupid plot armours.

>Armin gets lethal burns on his entire body and falls from such a high wall, an absolutely fatal position
>"Oh but look, since he is one of the main characters, he is still barely alive and breathing!!! So get the serum!"

And hence follows the subsequent drama. Hilarious episode, even more funny that Reiner's plot armour from few episodes ago.

You are the best "Stupid" comment i have read in the whole snk thread. Congratulations.

I bet you are always Laughting when see flying man with steam gear and rope in this show. Because that is very unlogical.
Jun 2, 2019 5:18 PM

Apr 2015
Such an amazing episode, I actually got emotional and was on the edge of my seat throughout this whole episode
10/10, Loved it!!
Next week we'll finally see what's in the basement, I cant contain my hype!
Jun 2, 2019 5:19 PM

Oct 2013
KanonDE said:
Sasuga of course the plot armour in attack on titan is as bs as ever. Disappointing episode overall.

Should not be disappointing at all to you, since you gave the previous seasons a 1/10.
Jun 2, 2019 5:19 PM

Jan 2017

This episode still managed to tug my heartstrings, even though there wasnt the slightest possibility of Armin dying... well, he is the narrator. That screwed them over.
Still though, it was emotional; honestly would've preferred Reiner to be eaten than berdhtholt, but hey, what can you do?
Jun 2, 2019 5:21 PM

May 2014
Man such bs, reviving that burned dude, i swear they're going to revive literally every character at this point.
Jun 2, 2019 5:21 PM

Dec 2016
Erwin Nooo
My favorite character💔💔
Jun 2, 2019 5:22 PM
Mar 2019
wow, so finally reiner was saved by zeke, and they ran away with that weird titan, honestly he was a fucking bastard that I really hated, it made me very annoyed when the reiner was always filled with luck, and bert looked so sorry, in the end he was made titan food, and still remember Annie and try to call her name LOL, and now Armin will have the power of a colossal Titan now, so the walls will not be penetrated by the enemy anymore
Jun 2, 2019 5:25 PM
Mar 2019
tidoesstuff said:

Lol, does anyone pay attention to this picture, Jean's face is not visible to the camera, I don't know whether he is crying or smiling
Pages (17) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 6 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2019

458 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 6:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.