Forum Settings
Forums

2019 anime that will (potentially) become classics?

New
May 30, 2019 10:12 PM
Jul 2018
Which anime this year that have aired or will air, do you think may become classics in the future?

I know it's too early to decide if an anime this year will become a classic in the future, but I think it's fun to speculate.

Vinland Saga is going to air in July. It's one of my favorite manga of all time, I think it's also one of the best manga of all time, and based on the trailers, the anime will look pretty good. If all goes well, I think Vinlad Saga will be hailed as a masterpiece classic in the same vein as Monster.

I'm not a particular fan of Kaguya Sama since I dropped the manga (I haven't watched the anime), but if the anime follows the manga (which I'm guessing it does based on the clips I've seen), and based on the reception of the anime, I think Kaguya Sama will be seen as a comedy classic in the future.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 30, 2019 10:14 PM
Oct 2018
Attack on Titan S3P2 (for sure will i think)
Vinland Saga (if WIT does a good job which they probs will)
May 30, 2019 10:15 PM

Sep 2014
hopefully only anime originals are recognized as such, not 12 episode adaptations that only manage to tell like an introduction to a story. I don't see how is that a classic, even if it's good. Maybe the source can be a classic to its medium
May 30, 2019 10:16 PM

Sep 2018
Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 for sure!
May 30, 2019 10:20 PM
Jul 2018
Imaishi said:
hopefully only anime originals are recognized as such, not 12 episode adaptations that only manage to tell like an introduction to a story. I don't see how is that a classic, even if it's good. Maybe the source can be a classic to its medium

I don't think there'll be any 12 episode adaptations that only partially adapt the original source will be considered a classic. Re: Zero is highly acclaimed, 25 episodes, yet I don't think it'll be remembered as a classic until it fully ends.

I'm surprised that there are people who say AOT season 3 part 2 will be a classic. I thought the AOT fanbase was nearly dead.
May 30, 2019 10:28 PM

Jul 2016
Literally none. All Anime today is bad, except for Mob Psycho 100.
May 30, 2019 10:31 PM

Dec 2017
Nande Koko ni Sensei ga?! and Domestic na Kanojo, probably. Classic trash.
May 30, 2019 10:33 PM

Feb 2019
Kenja no mago will be a classic /S
I am guessing kimetsu no yaiba or Carole and Tuesday will be a classic

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 30, 2019 10:35 PM

Dec 2016
Maybe TPN, that thing is popular and was well-received enough to be a potential candidate.
May 30, 2019 11:08 PM

Oct 2018
attack on titan s3 p2 and tate no yuusha.
May 30, 2019 11:11 PM

Sep 2014
Vinland Saga hopefully. I want to believe Wit Studio won't disappoint us.
May 30, 2019 11:36 PM
Mar 2018
I think Miru Tights

#...........................
May 31, 2019 2:02 AM
Jul 2018
Arkab said:
Maybe TPN, that thing is popular and was well-received enough to be a potential candidate.

What does TPN stand for? Is it a manga?
May 31, 2019 2:24 AM

Feb 2019
HopefulNihilist said:
Arkab said:

The Promised neverland, it was a perfect adaption

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 31, 2019 2:29 AM
May 31, 2019 2:35 AM
Jul 2018
SawamuraJane said:
Promised Neverland seems promising i think

Lol! I see what you did there.
Luna_Hazel said:
HopefulNihilist said:

The Promised neverland, it was a perfect adaption

Oh yeah, now I remember. For some reason I keep forgetting.
May 31, 2019 2:39 AM
Feb 2019
As far as this season, Mob Psycho 100 II and Shingeki no Kyojin 3 Part 2 for sure, but as they're sequels it's kinda expected, so I would pick Carole & Tuesday and Sarazanmai, because their directors are cult ones, Kaze ga Tsuyoku Fuiteiru, which was a really good spokon finished the last season, Yakusoku no Neverland and Kimetsu no Yaiba which also have a good chance. As for the rest of the year, hoping to see what will surprise us, although I have my eyes in Vinland Saga and Kono Oto Tomare 2nd Season, maybe Chihayafuru 3 and Somali to Mori no Kamisama, but honestly, who knows?
May 31, 2019 4:10 AM

Oct 2017
Attack on Titan is basically a 2010's classic at this point as is probably MHA, Mob Psycho 100 S2 should also grab a spot and maybe Vinland Saga if it gets a good adaption (WIT is making the PV's look very promising as a huge fan of the manga). Could get a lot of traction in the West due to its content though I don't know if a wider Japanese audience will grow for it. We do have a lot of action/adventure shonen adaptions this year that could bloom into popular titles or have already started to (TPN) but you need to give it a few years to gauge those I think. Plus some of these KnY and TPN are likely to be shorter due to the mangaka's request so I don't know if they will be as remembered as some of the older long running battle shonen. I would say Dororo too technically it is a classic already though I have heard a few more negative things about the second cour (not caught up).
BilboBaggins365May 31, 2019 4:16 AM
May 31, 2019 6:00 AM
Feb 2017
TolkienFan365 said:
Attack on Titan is basically a 2010's classic at this point as is probably MHA, Mob Psycho 100 S2 should also grab a spot and maybe Vinland Saga if it gets a good adaption (WIT is making the PV's look very promising as a huge fan of the manga). Could get a lot of traction in the West due to its content though I don't know if a wider Japanese audience will grow for it. We do have a lot of action/adventure shonen adaptions this year that could bloom into popular titles or have already started to (TPN) but you need to give it a few years to gauge those I think. Plus some of these KnY and TPN are likely to be shorter due to the mangaka's request so I don't know if they will be as remembered as some of the older long running battle shonen. I would say Dororo too technically it is a classic already though I have heard a few more negative things about the second cour (not caught up).

I feel the Dororo hype has died down a LOT at this point.
May 31, 2019 9:20 AM

Dec 2018
I have very high hopes for Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator. Origin story about Mc who previously was a villain, loner and overpowered. Pretty unique.
It's manga adaptation. It's related to Toaru franchise and it can be watched without watching anything from it's franchise, so no doubt it will be somewhat popular.
So depending on execution it could possibly become a classic.
And i want to metion that stuff working on it is quite experiensed, they worked on many shows i liked.
So if it won't become classic in the future, it surely will be remebered as classic in my book.
May 31, 2019 10:12 AM

Jul 2017
Miru Tights will easily be hailed as the savior of anime

Dororo could've been, but the middle part has been pretty inconsistent

But assuming it all goes well, I do think AoT S3 can be considered one, Carole & Tuesday seems like it could also

If we count shows that started last year but continued this year, Run With the Wind can easily be remembered as a classic for sports anime
May 31, 2019 10:26 AM
Jul 2018
@TolkienFan365

Short_Circut said:

But assuming it all goes well, I do think AoT S3 can be considered one, Carole & Tuesday seems like it could also

If we count shows that started last year but continued this year, Run With the Wind can easily be remembered as a classic for sports anime

I don't think AoT will be remembered as a classic. A classic in terms of popularity, yes, but in terms of quality reception? I don't think so.

Dalkpro said:
I have very high hopes for Toaru Kagaku no Accelerator. Origin story about Mc who previously was a villain, loner and overpowered. Pretty unique.
It's manga adaptation. It's related to Toaru franchise and it can be watched without watching anything from it's franchise, so no doubt it will be somewhat popular.
And i want to metion that stuff working on it is quite experiensed, they worked on many shows i liked.
So if it won't become classic in the future, it surely will be remebered as classic in my book.

I don't think A Certain Magical Index was ever critically acclaimed in the same vein as, say, Ultimate Survivor Kaiji or Monster. Unless this new adaptation will be considered that good, I don't see it becoming a classic.

SawamuraJane said:

Arkab said:

I read the manga, and it's amazing. Based on what I've heard, the anime follows the manga, so it's equally as good. However, until Neverland gets more adaptations that finish the manga (which won't happen anytime soon since the manga is extremely look and isn't anywhere near finished), I don't see it becoming a classic, despite the amazing reception.
May 31, 2019 10:40 AM

Jan 2019
Not super popular, but Mahou Shoujo Tokushusen Asuka is bound to become a cult classic. It has a 90's OVA kind of violence that I found to be refreshing.
May 31, 2019 10:43 AM

Jan 2013
Kimetsu no Yaiba is a strong candidate
May 31, 2019 10:47 AM

Aug 2017
Vinland Saga
VINLAND SAGA
ViNlAnd sAGa
But I hope it won't have cancerous fandom
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 31, 2019 10:49 AM

Jan 2018
Kimetsu no Yaiba will definitely become a classic legend. the story, art, music makes up what anime should be and what every anime/manga fans will ever dream watching/reading. personally, it should be like one piece and black clover (non-stop) and not like bnha (released season by season)
May 31, 2019 10:49 AM

Oct 2017
Mob Psycho 100 S2 = could be a classic

Carole and Tuesday = elitists' classic

Kimetsu no Yaiba & Dr. Stone = beloved by the main community classic (idk if they'll have longevity tho)

Sarazanmai = ikuhara fans cult classic

otherwise most of the other shows are long-running continuations or have been "done before" in some way so they won't have staying power in the community's minds (like if anyone is talking about shield hero a year from now i will be very surprised)
May 31, 2019 10:50 AM

Feb 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
@TolkienFan365

Short_Circut said:

I don't think AoT will be remembered as a classic. A classic in terms of popularity, yes, but in terms of quality reception? I don't think so.

8.50 is a decent score. Plus the currently airing season is at 9.11 after 50% of the season has already aired. You don't like it doesn't mean everybody hates the show.

When anime was dying in the west, AoT was a major game changer. AoT became a pop culture during its initial run and still is among the top ten selling manga either in japan or USA (it actually ranked 6th in printed copies for this 6 month period) and the digital sales still outsell One piece.

AoT was received fairly well in the anime community and I can even say that it is still very popular. AoT and armin were worldwide trending on twitter for a day after tye current episode.
ShinyHexMay 31, 2019 11:08 AM
May 31, 2019 11:50 AM

Jul 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
@TolkienFan365

Short_Circut said:

Dalkpro said:

I don't think A Certain Magical Index was ever critically acclaimed in the same vein as, say, Ultimate Survivor Kaiji or Monster. Unless this new adaptation will be considered that good, I don't see it becoming a classic.

SawamuraJane said:

Arkab said:

I read the manga, and it's amazing. Based on what I've heard, the anime follows the manga, so it's equally as good. However, until Neverland gets more adaptations that finish the manga (which won't happen anytime soon since the manga is extremely look and isn't anywhere near finished), I don't see it becoming a classic, despite the amazing reception.

Pretty much what @ThatShiny_Hex said. As for quality wise, 3rd season is doing a great job so far with all the buildup that led up to the season, which is why I said if all goes well it could be a classic
May 31, 2019 11:53 AM
Jul 2018
ThatShiny_Hex said:

8.50 is a decent score. Plus the currently airing season is at 9.11 after 50% of the season has already aired.

That is indeed a very high score. However, I think most of the reviewers and people scoring the anime, are biased fans; not critics who look at the series from a more objective viewpoint.

ThatShiny_Hex said:
You don't like it doesn't mean everybody hates the show.

I never said anything like that: I said that, to my understanding, Attack on Titan isn't very highly received by critics.

ThatShiny_Hex said:
When anime was dying in the west, AoT was a major game changer. AoT became a pop culture during its initial run and still is among the top ten selling manga either in japan or USA (it actually ranked 6th in printed copies for this 6 month period) and the digital sales still outsell One piece.

Even if it outsells One Piece, I don't think AoT is taken as seriously as One Piece in terms of quality.

ThatShiny_Hex said:
AoT was received fairly well in the anime community and I can even say that it is still very popular. AoT and armin were worldwide trending on twitter for a day after tye current episode.

True, I don't think critics hate Attack on Titan, but I don't think it's loved critically either. To my understanding, critics think Attack on Titan is either an okay series, or just decent.

Short_Circut said:
HopefulNihilist said:
@TolkienFan365

Pretty much what @ThatShiny_Hex said. As for quality wise, 3rd season is doing a great job so far with all the buildup that led up to the season, which is why I said if all goes well it could be a classic

I only watched season 1 of Attack On Titan, so I can't say how good the series actually is; my assumptions on whether AoT will be a classic is based on how critics view it. Because in my opinion, a true classic anime is an anime that is highly received well by critics.
May 31, 2019 12:17 PM

Jul 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
ThatShiny_Hex said:

8.50 is a decent score. Plus the currently airing season is at 9.11 after 50% of the season has already aired.

That is indeed a very high score. However, I think most of the reviewers and people scoring the anime, are biased fans; not critics who look at the series from a more objective viewpoint.

ThatShiny_Hex said:

I never said anything like that: I said that, to my understanding, Attack on Titan isn't very highly received by critics.

ThatShiny_Hex said:

Even if it outsells One Piece, I don't think AoT is taken as seriously as One Piece in terms of quality.

ThatShiny_Hex said:

True, I don't think critics hate Attack on Titan, but I don't think it's loved critically either. To my understanding, critics think Attack on Titan is either an okay series, or just decent.

Short_Circut said:

I only watched season 1 of Attack On Titan, so I can't say how good the series actually is; my assumptions on whether AoT will be a classic is based on how critics view it. Because in my opinion, a true classic anime is an anime that is highly received well by critics.

But it is well received by critics though? Both manga and anime have won a lot of awards and not just fan ones
May 31, 2019 12:24 PM

Feb 2018
HopefulNihilist said:
ThatShiny_Hex said:

ThatShiny_Hex said:

ThatShiny_Hex said:

ThatShiny_Hex said:

Short_Circut said:

From critics point of view, season 1 is the worst among all of them. Shingeki's writing increases with season, and after the current airing arc, it increases drastically.

ps: Some classics arent well liked by critics as well, something like Death note or haruhi suzumiya or even akira.

Classical anime is something that was and will be well liked, influencial at their run time and would remain unique throughout the bonds of time.
ShinyHexMay 31, 2019 12:32 PM
May 31, 2019 12:26 PM

Apr 2017
I would say that Vinland Saga definitely could if WIT does a good job. SNK S3 Part 2 will I believe. Same goes for Bungou Stray Dogs S3, and Chihayafuru S3 that should come out later this year. I think JoJo Part 5 (if we can count it as 2019 show) is quite assured to become classic, since JoJo itself already is a classic. But besides Vinland all those are a continuations of already well established shows (and Vinland itself is adaptation of already very well establised manga). In terms of new shows I think this year isn't very impressive so far. I'm hopeful something will come out in next 2 seasons (although summer offerings don't look very impressive either so far, hopefully there will be surprise when they actually come out).
MrZawaMay 31, 2019 12:30 PM

Art by ギャット GFX by aryandil
May 31, 2019 1:07 PM
Sep 2017
No question, Dororo will be among them.
May 31, 2019 1:16 PM

Aug 2010
Miru Tights, probably the only one.
May 31, 2019 1:58 PM

Oct 2017
@HopefulNihilist

That's is just a subjective opinion on what a classic entails though. I don't really believe quality is the main factor as that is a subjective opinion people often can dislike things that are considered classics. Obviously it needs to have some collective agreement that it is a quality show which it does as many people really like it. The most important thing is staying power and influence on the industry though and AOT has easily been one of the most popular action series of this decade.

The writing to me really started to get better starting with this arc and the majority of the audience seems to have had a positive response to it. It probably will end up this generation's Code Geass.

Again it's just theorizing you can't really predict this stuff until the series ends however, as long as AOT gets a decent ending it will continue to be seen as an easy intro to anime like FMAB or Cowboy Bebop and therefore stay relevant rather than seasonal show x.

@BlakexEkalb

Fair though technically its a manga from Tezuka being remade but yeah I get the feeling a lot of people have stopped talking about it.
BilboBaggins365May 31, 2019 2:06 PM
May 31, 2019 2:53 PM
Jul 2018
@ThatShiny_Hex

I thought Death Note, Haruhi Suzumiya, and especially Akira, were beloved by critics.

TolkienFan365 said:
That's is just a subjective opinion on what a classic entails though.

True, it's subjective, but I've noticed that every anime that I've heard that is considered a "classic" (Monster, Kaiji, Kill la Kill) has high critical praise, and an ending. If AoT right now has as much critical praise, then I can see it becoming a classic.

TolkienFan365 said:
The most important thing is staying power and influence on the industry though and AOT has easily been one of the most popular action series of this decade.

AOT definitely has staying power, that we can agree on. However, influence? I haven't seen or heard any anime that was influenced by AOT.

TolkienFan365 said:
The writing to me really started to get better starting with this arc and the majority of the audience seems to have had a positive response to it. It probably will end up this generation's Code Geass.

I'm not sure if that's a good comparison, from your point of view. Because Code Geass is highly decisive: there are many people who believe it's a genius series, but there are also almost as many people who believe it is pretentious and stupid.

TolkienFan365 said:
Again it's just theorizing you can't really predict this stuff until the series ends

True, that's why I specifically said this thread was about theorizing, just for fun.

TolkienFan365 said:
however, as long as AOT gets a decent ending it will continue to be seen as an easy intro to anime like FMAB or Cowboy Bebop and therefore stay relevant rather than seasonal show x.

Based on what you've said, it seems as though AOT has garnered more critical praise, but in exchange, its popularity has died down. I don't think I've heard people hype it as much as when it first aired.

@Short_Circut

AOT has awards?! I'm going to have to look that up.
May 31, 2019 3:06 PM

Apr 2013
Since when was Kill la Kill considered a classic?
May 31, 2019 3:18 PM

Nov 2009
Who even determines what is a classic or not. Hard to go wrong here.
May 31, 2019 3:25 PM
Jul 2018
84DaysWithout said:
Who even determines what is a classic or not. Hard to go wrong here.

There are different ways to define a classic, in my opinion. You can define a classic as:

-Something you thought was amazing and that will always stick in your heart and mind.
-Something that others thought was amazing

For example, I consider Romeo and Juliet a classic based on that 2nd standard, even though I myself don't care about the play.

Holmes15 said:
Since when was Kill la Kill considered a classic?

I thought Kill la Kill was highly beloved by critics.
May 31, 2019 3:43 PM

Jul 2017
HopefulNihilist said:
@ThatShiny_Hex

I thought Death Note, Haruhi Suzumiya, and especially Akira, were beloved by critics.

TolkienFan365 said:
That's is just a subjective opinion on what a classic entails though.

True, it's subjective, but I've noticed that every anime that I've heard that is considered a "classic" (Monster, Kaiji, Kill la Kill) has high critical praise, and an ending. If AoT right now has as much critical praise, then I can see it becoming a classic.

TolkienFan365 said:
The most important thing is staying power and influence on the industry though and AOT has easily been one of the most popular action series of this decade.

AOT definitely has staying power, that we can agree on. However, influence? I haven't seen or heard any anime that was influenced by AOT.

TolkienFan365 said:

I'm not sure if that's a good comparison, from your point of view. Because Code Geass is highly decisive: there are many people who believe it's a genius series, but there are also almost as many people who believe it is pretentious and stupid.

TolkienFan365 said:
Again it's just theorizing you can't really predict this stuff until the series ends

True, that's why I specifically said this thread was about theorizing, just for fun.

TolkienFan365 said:
however, as long as AOT gets a decent ending it will continue to be seen as an easy intro to anime like FMAB or Cowboy Bebop and therefore stay relevant rather than seasonal show x.

Based on what you've said, it seems as though AOT has garnered more critical praise, but in exchange, its popularity has died down. I don't think I've heard people hype it as much as when it first aired.

@Short_Circut

ye it won Tokyo Anime Awards in 2014 for best director, score, story and AoTY. I believe there's also some more
May 31, 2019 3:45 PM

Oct 2013
@HopefulNihilist

Its not 2013/14 anymore, the series isn't as hype as season 1, but it is still a popular series that is getting plenty of praise especially this season.

The latest episode is literally ranked #1 as the best episode of all time on imdb. https://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=tv_episode&num_votes=1000,&sort=user_rating,desc heck 3 episodes from attack on titan is in the top 20.

Its also rated highly on mal ranked 6th with 9.11, even exceeding my expectation.
May 31, 2019 3:51 PM

Oct 2017
@HopefulNihilist

Well again as a manga reader pretty much almost everyone has loved the direction though again could just be more of an echo chamber since the people that like AOT keep up with it. This current season has gotten a lot of praise from anime onlys so at the very least I am not mistaken there.

As for Code Geass yeah I have heard many contrary opinions though I have also for NGE and that one I think most would agree it is a classic (still waiting for the release on Netflix so I can form my own opinions on it). Same thing with Lain some who think it's forward thinking others over pretentious garbage.

As for influence I was just saying that more generally few shows usually can be pointed to as starting a trend. Though those that do most will look back and say they are classics.

As for popularity yeah it has died down it still is one of the most popular manga out there same for the anime.
May 31, 2019 3:55 PM

Nov 2013
2019 will produce no anime classics, quote me on this in 2029 if north korea hasn't nuked japan by then
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 31, 2019 3:59 PM

Nov 2016
If I have to name one then Yakusoku no Neverland. Maybe Kaguya too.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 31, 2019 4:00 PM
Jul 2018
keragamming said:
@HopefulNihilist

Its not 2013/14 anymore, the series isn't as hype as season 1, but it is still a popular series that is getting plenty of praise especially this season.

The latest episode is literally ranked #1 as the best episode of all time on imdb. https://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=tv_episode&num_votes=1000,&sort=user_rating,desc heck 3 episodes from attack on titan is in the top 20.

Its also rated highly on mal ranked 6th with 9.11, even exceeding my expectation.

How long does an anime episode remain as being ranked as the best episode of all time, though? Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't those work like Billboard charts: artist x is #1 in 2018, but in 2019, it's a different artist, and the artist from 2018 gets forgotten?

TolkienFan365 said:
Well again as a manga reader pretty much almost everyone has loved the direction though again could just be more of an echo chamber since the people that like AOT keep up with it. This current season has gotten a lot of praise from anime onlys so at the very least I am not mistaken there.

Alright.

TolkienFan365 said:
As for Code Geass yeah I have heard many contrary opinions though I have also for NGE and that one I think most would agree it is a classic (still waiting for the release on Netflix so I can form my own opinions on it). Same thing with Lain some who think it's forward thinking others over pretentious garbage.

I didn't consider the contrary opinion on NGE. You make a very strong argument there. But I think the ratio of people who think Code Geass is amazing vs people who think it sucks is 50;50, while for EVA, it's 80;20

TolkienFan365 said:
As for influence I was just saying that more generally few shows usually can be pointed to as starting a trend. Though those that do most will look back and say they are classics.

I'm a little confused here; are you saying that AOT may be influential in the future?

I hope it doesn't look like I'm trying to argue. You know far more about AOT than I do, and our ideas of what defines a classic anime is entirely subjective. I'm only interested in discussing with you.

Short_Circut said:
HopefulNihilist said:
@ThatShiny_Hex

@Short_Circut

ye it won Tokyo Anime Awards in 2014 for best director, score, story and AoTY. I believe there's also some more

Damn.
May 31, 2019 4:11 PM

Oct 2017
@HopefulNihilist

No I don't consider you arguing with me lol

What I meant is few shows are able to be influence the industry. Most are going to more push a trend than establish it. Those that do establish a new trend though almost always are considered classics because of that influence. I would argue you extend that to shows that shortly follow suit and help make the genre popular as well. I am not claiming that AOT made say dark fantasy/supernatural more popular at all just more continuing that genre's popularity and prominence if anything from say when FMAB ended (same kinda theme dark steampunk/dieselpunk fantasy). The major influence I would argue was mainly on the financial side where AOT really helped speed up the recovering of the anime/manga industry in the West after the crash in the late 2000's. It also was a major hit for Kodansha which they hadn't seen in awhile.

As for AOT again I am just communicating how the current AOT anime only community feels about the show and how the manga community is reacting to new chapters. That response to recent developments could very different when certain portions of the manga gets adapted or when we see the conclusion of the manga. If AOT gets a bad ending again it could lose popularity and fall off in time. Which is why it is hard to judge but if Isayama can continue writing like he is of late I think it could establish itself there.
BilboBaggins365May 31, 2019 4:17 PM
May 31, 2019 4:12 PM
Jan 2015
If Kaguya-Sama ever gets a full adaption, it could definitely be considered a modern classic for RomComs.

My Queens

May 31, 2019 4:13 PM

Oct 2013
@HopefulNihilist

No, I heard one of Breaking bad episodes was at number 1 for a good while now, until apparently, game of thrones fans down vote it.

Its similar to mal ranking.
May 31, 2019 4:23 PM
Jul 2018
TolkienFan365 said:
@HopefulNihilist

No I don't consider you arguing with me lol

What I meant is few shows are able to be influence the industry. Most are going to more push a trend than establish it. Those that do establish a new trend though almost always are considered classics because of that influence. I would argue you extend that to shows that shortly follow suit and help make the genre popular as well. I am not claiming that AOT made say dark fantasy/supernatural more popular at all just more continuing that genre's popularity and prominence if anything from say when FMAB ended (same kinda theme dark steampunk/dieselpunk fantasy). The major influence I would argue was mainly on the financial side where AOT really helped speed up the recovering of the anime/manga industry in the West after the crash in the late 2000's. It also was a major hit for Kodansha which they hadn't seen in awhile.

As for AOT again I am just communicating how the current AOT anime only community feels about the show and how the manga community is reacting to new chapters. That response to recent developments could very different when certain portions of the manga gets adapted or when we see the conclusion of the manga. If AOT gets a bad ending again it could lose popularity and fall off in time. Which is why it is hard to judge but if Isayama can continue writing like he is of late I think it could establish itself there.

I don't think Attack On Titan is continuing a trend, though. I'm still not sure whether AOT is a dark fantasy or a supernatural, but for the sake of discussion, I'll assume it's both. We're still getting plenty of supernatural anime as always, but rarely any dark fantasy (for some reason)

keragamming said:
@HopefulNihilist

No, I heard one of Breaking bad episodes was at number 1 for a good while now, until apparently, game of thrones fans down vote it.

Its similar to mal ranking.

Ah, okay
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - 10 hours ago

9 by LenRea »»
29 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

92 by JaniSIr »»
30 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Yesterday

49 by fae »»
30 minutes ago

» is ur fave genre ur most watched genre ?

ame - Yesterday

17 by Ratris_Decision »»
35 minutes ago

Poll: » Bare feet or pantyhoses?

Absurdo_N - Yesterday

26 by LoveYourEyes »»
41 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.