Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 26, 2019 10:10 PM

Dec 2018
There are certain anime i want to buy, though, i can only find those at ebay and so on... As the paranoid anoxious pleb i am, i've always refraind from using such sites, as i'm scared of getting scammed.

How is your experience ordering DVDs from such sites? Is it a high risk of getting scammed or am i simply overthinking it?

Edit: Pullman and Zesti basically taught me what amazon is.
God_MarsMay 27, 2019 9:00 PM
May 26, 2019 10:38 PM

Aug 2009

Pretty well if I say so myself.

(Guess I didn't really need the spoiler tags the the image resized quite nicely.)
FacelessVixenMay 26, 2019 10:49 PM

May 26, 2019 11:23 PM
Jul 2018
Watch for bootlegs. Ebay is filled with those.
May 26, 2019 11:26 PM

Nov 2017
I've had success on Amazon. Never gotten ripped off beyond it being pricey.
May 26, 2019 11:26 PM

Jan 2018
Who the fuck uses a DVD player anyway these days??

I know it used to be a big deal and all, now... well, I use it to kill cockroaches or somethin

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 27, 2019 1:18 AM

Dec 2018
NexivsSelecaf said:

(Guess I didn't really need the spoiler tags the the image resized quite nicely.)

Thats looks great! NGE, Akira, Black Lagoon and so on. It feels so good to physically own anime. I myself am looking for "Galaxy Railways" and "Metropolis".

May 27, 2019 6:14 AM
Nov 2009
Sure, never had any issues ordering from Amazon directly.

Snusgossen said:
NexivsSelecaf said:

Thats looks great! NGE, Akira, Black Lagoon and so on. It feels so good to physically own anime. I myself am looking for "Galaxy Railways" and "Metropolis".

What looks best, in my opinion, are complete (ideally limited) editions. Those DVD 1, 2 etc of a series are usually rather meh.
May 27, 2019 6:59 AM

Feb 2010
Idk why you would think that amazon would scam you? They are a high profile and official site, why would they risk their whole business for a marginal profit on a niche product? It makes no sense. It's not like ebay where you just buy from private randos.

Amazon has many issues, like predatory pricing, monopoly issues, abusing private shops who selll their product via their site etc... But worrying about amazon selling you bootlegs is the most random thing I've heard in a while.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 27, 2019 7:05 AM

Dec 2018
Pullman said:
Idk why you would think that amazon would scam you? They are a high profile and official site, why would they risk their whole business for a marginal profit on a niche product? It makes no sense. It's not like ebay where you just buy from private randos.

Amazon has many issues, like predatory pricing, monopoly issues, abusing private shops who selll their product via their site etc... But worrying about amazon selling you bootlegs is the most random thing I've heard in a while.

Oh really is that so? I can't say i'm familiar with the website at all, i've always seen it as the same thing as Ebay to be perfectly honest with you.

Thank you for the information and making me much more aware. :D
May 27, 2019 7:13 AM

Feb 2010
Snusgossen said:
Pullman said:

Oh really is that so? I can't say i'm familiar with the website at all, i've always seen it as the same thing as Ebay to be perfectly honest with you.

Thank you for the information and making me much more aware. :D

No, amazon is just a giant online shop company seeling products directly to the buyers, while ebay is just a marketplace allowing basically anyone to put almost anything on sale as a private individual. They don't really control what people sell, cause ebay is not the seller, just the site providing the online space for the actual sellers.

There's also shops selling their stuff via amazon (new or used), which is a bit similar to the marketplace model of ebay, but that's only a side thing and it always tells you whether you are buying the product from amazon or from a secondary shop. But I think even those secondary shops are subject to a lot more quality control before they get approved than anything on ebay where it's literally just random individuals selling mostly used stuff, because amazon's reputation would also be damaged if they were found out to approve of bootleg sellers to operate under their name. So amazon should be very safe in that regard.

They are a predatory, extremely unethical company tho so you have to decide for yourself if you want to support them by buying from them or not.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 27, 2019 7:29 AM
Jean Michel Salt

Oct 2015
For sure they are a lot of control for secondary shop on amazon im not even sure if random people can sell on it.
I got an issue one time for an import froom japan but amazon fix the problem fast.
Pullman make a good summary of amazon system.
If u order on amazon u should be fine in 99% of the case probably.
Ebay is a bad idea to buy anime/manga i think.
It could be worth if u are looking for limited edition not in store.

May 27, 2019 7:43 AM

Dec 2018
zesti said:
For sure they are a lot of control for secondary shop on amazon im not even sure if random people can sell on it.
I got an issue one time for an import froom japan but amazon fix the problem fast.

Thank you for even more clarification. Amazon isn't widely used here in Sweden, only if people buy more obscure or specific stuff from what i know. So i barley had any knowledge about it as company, how it functions and so on.

Thank you and Pullman for explaining it for me :)
May 27, 2019 7:50 AM
Jean Michel Salt

Oct 2015
Snusgossen said:
zesti said:

Thank you for even more clarification. Amazon isn't widely used here in Sweden, only if people buy more obscure or specific stuff from what i know. So i barley had any knowledge about it as company, how it functions and so on.

Thank you and Pullman for explaining it for me :)

Np if i can help :)
i am froom france dont know about pullman but never got any issue with Amazon and i buy some stuff ^^

May 27, 2019 9:42 AM

Apr 2014
amazon should be safe. if something is bad they will return you your money, send you an extra free, etc. ebay also has a security but there are still ebay horror stories.
May 27, 2019 10:00 AM
Jul 2018
I bought FMA:brotherhood blu-rays (anime and movie), Monster DVDs and Angel Beats blu-ray on Amazon. Never had problems but I know that if I had problems they would have helped me. :D Just look at the ratings and comments of the stuff you want to buy just in case though.
About eBay... I saw Monster blu-rays on it. They don't even exist... lol The price was also crazy like over 200$ or something. What the hell.
removed-userMay 27, 2019 10:03 AM
May 27, 2019 4:28 PM

Sep 2012
I haven't had any issues with that, just check on the ratings and reviews of the seller and have a browse around for the same product from other sources.
May 27, 2019 4:43 PM
Jan 2012
Dave_Adrian said:

I know it used to be a big deal and all, now... well, I use it to kill cockroaches or somethin

It's less about watching them, and more about collecting them, and showing support for the anime and it's creators
May 27, 2019 4:43 PM
Mar 2018
I myself have had very little issues. And if you're ever scared about what you think is a bootleg. Try googling "*insert item here* bootleg" and see what comes up.
Also because someone sent theirs, I figured I'd send a small portion of mine. (these Blu-Rays were ones I took with me on vacation for some reason). https://prnt.sc/nu5wbo
May 27, 2019 6:07 PM

Oct 2014
Can't really go wrong with Amazon. eBay on the other hand is filled with bootlegs, so make sure you know what to look for.
May 27, 2019 7:38 PM

Nov 2008
Stay FAR away from ebay. Go with Amazon.

OnionKnightRises said:
Dave_Adrian said:

It's less about watching them, and more about collecting them, and showing support for the anime and it's creators

This. But I also like to have copies that I can lend to friends. :p Nobody would use a DVD player to kill a cockroach...come on. Don't say stupid stuff. lol

May 27, 2019 7:47 PM

Apr 2016
So far i bought anime BDs from CDJapan and Amazon.. I didn't had any problems. If you want to buy from eBay I suggest you to be very careful. There are a lot of anime DVDs/BDs that look like the official releases but are fake

May 27, 2019 9:27 PM

Oct 2007
Rightstuf is a long-time legitimate seller of anime stuff. I've bought a lot from them and have only had good experiences.
May 28, 2019 5:30 AM
Nov 2009
Pullman said:

Amazon in the US has lots of issues with counterfeit products. Even "sold and shipped by Amazon" isn't trustworthy there, as the stock is often combined with the FBA stuff.
May 28, 2019 5:58 AM

Jun 2014
I started collecting Anime on DVD back around 2012, and I have over 200 Anime DVDs now, but I rarely buy any these days, as the prices have gone up, and Blu-ray is more expensive, so I usually just live without it. I also have over 50 Anime laserdiscs, and a small Anime VHS collection

Chiibi said:
Stay FAR away from ebay. Go with Amazon.

I'm afraid I can't agree with this.

I've purchased many Anime DVDs on eBay, and as long as you know what to look for, you're fine. Plus, you get to see actual images of the DVDs on eBay, whereas on Amazon you just see a stock photo. If you buy anything used on Amazon, it's an even bigger risk, but even stuff that is officially sold and shipped by Amazon are sometimes fake. I have used Amazon when I have no choice, but eBay usually has stuff I'm looking for at better prices, especially used stuff.

blissfire said:
Rightstuf is a long-time legitimate seller of anime stuff. I've bought a lot from them and have only had good experiences.

For those of us in Canada, RightStuf is pretty much useless now. I used to buy stuff there, but now the Canadian dollar is really weak, and the shipping costs are insane. It costs over $20 just to have one DVD shipped, and if you want free shipping, you have to buy over $250 worth of stuff($336 CAD), and I never buy that much at a time.

More topics from this board

» Anime that low-testosterone males can't comprehend ( 1 2 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 14

75 by LostSpectre »»
42 seconds ago

» What anime do a lot of people consider to be one of the greatest that you think is just good? ( 1 2 )

arinthach - Yesterday

55 by Pokitaru »»
6 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - 7 hours ago

30 by iiKonata »»
8 minutes ago

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - 6 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
28 minutes ago

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - 11 hours ago

10 by Zettaiken »»
39 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.