Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (15) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »
May 27, 2019 5:21 AM
Jul 2018
virquilium said:
Underwhelming episode, could've been alot better. You can see clearly the focus on certain elements and scenes in the episodes, while the rest of the episode is just plain mediocrity. This show just dropped hard in quality starting from season 3. Even the manga's latest Arc is fucking boring, and going in a very bad direction generally. Every time I see a franchise, that has a promising first season, or introduction in general, then follow up with a good sequel (Season2), then just goes downhill and into the nearest trashcan. Disappointing.
You know what's overwhelming? Your expectations. They're so ridiculous they are beyond a laughing matter. Jeez if you want a good TV show you might as well make your own lol. Then see how many people like your tastes.
May 27, 2019 5:23 AM
May 2016
blackiemma22 said:
SetsukoHara said:

Yeah, I don't like so that means I don't understand. LOL

Lol but on some real shit if you didn't really enjoy part 1 then consider this arc and even this episode AoT's peak. It won't get better, actually probably worse for you at the end of this arc and going forward. The manga readers remaining are AoT's fans that sticked through so obviously most of them will tell you that it's getting better and better, but the truth is basement reveal and what follow was a a deal breaker for a lot of people.

It was only really a deal breaker for people who didn't get the foreshadowing that's been scattered much like how the other twists were handled the same. AoT goes from being a great series to a masterpiece post-basement, delving into why is spoiler-territory though.
May 27, 2019 5:24 AM
Jul 2018
SheevPalpatine said:
WordIsBond said:
That episode was a great example of why this show is popular. Drama with high stakes, large scale action, lack of plot armor. Loved it.

Levi has a huge plot armor. Ok, he is a beast, but let be honest: he should have used all of his weapons on his "route" to Zeke and in the fight. But still, he had some left after it, and he can escape...

Don't read the next if you didn't read the manga:
You clearly don't know what's weak writing. The reason characters are kept alive just a little longer is so that they can have their last words. Otherwise it's just fucking sudden and anticlimactic. You don't know jack. I'd prefer a little drama over an anticlimax any day.
May 27, 2019 5:27 AM

Jul 2014
What an episode, not a finale but such a fantastic culmination of everything that has come before it. Erwin's death, Armin's sacrifice, some Levi badassery and victory in the face of defeat. Absolutely fantastic, even if Levi's hesitation did let the Beast Titan (whose identity is now very obvious) survive for now (and even if Hange's sudden reappearance was kinda an ex machina).

Only question now is what's next (other than the basement)? The losses have been huge for the Scouts and the few survivors aren't in the best state either.
May 27, 2019 5:30 AM
Jan 2018
ABDoesThings said:
SheevPalpatine said:

Levi has a huge plot armor. Ok, he is a beast, but let be honest: he should have used all of his weapons on his "route" to Zeke and in the fight. But still, he had some left after it, and he can escape...

You clearly don't know what's weak writing. The reason characters are kept alive just a little longer is so that they can have their last words. Otherwise it's just fucking sudden and anticlimactic. You don't know jack. I'd prefer a little drama over an anticlimax any day.

Plus this series is hardly realistic to Begin with
Mattinator95May 27, 2019 5:41 AM
May 27, 2019 5:48 AM

Jul 2012
Modernoir said:
blackiemma22 said:

Lol but on some real shit if you didn't really enjoy part 1 then consider this arc and even this episode AoT's peak. It won't get better, actually probably worse for you at the end of this arc and going forward. The manga readers remaining are AoT's fans that sticked through so obviously most of them will tell you that it's getting better and better, but the truth is basement reveal and what follow was a a deal breaker for a lot of people.

It was only really a deal breaker for people who didn't get the foreshadowing that's been scattered much like how the other twists were handled the same. AoT goes from being a great series to a masterpiece post-basement, delving into why is spoiler-territory though.

We'll have the last episode thread to explain every single genius foreshadowing that makes the basement major twist and post-basement content the best in the series. For now, it's kinda pointless to discuss it in here. We could even make a separate thread, but after it has been finished airing.

Just don't start discussing it in here just yet, since it can ruin the fun for some people (since some users in the previous episode discussions ended up actually spoilering things by doing just that, and when the mods cleaned it was too late for some people).

May 27, 2019 5:48 AM

Aug 2017
Meta meme right here

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
May 27, 2019 5:53 AM

Aug 2012
Durst0n said:
The culmination of 6 years wait. What an absolute masterpiece.

the chapter with beast titan vs levi came out in 2016
May 27, 2019 5:53 AM

Aug 2017
Danpmss said:
Modernoir said:

We'll have the last episode thread to explain every single genius foreshadowing that makes the basement major twist and post-basement content the best in the series. For now, it's kinda pointless to discuss it in here. We could even make a separate thread, but after it has been finished airing.

Just don't start discussing it in here just yet, since it can ruin the fun for some people (since some users in the previous episode discussions ended up actually spoilering things by doing just that, and when the mods cleaned it was too late for some people).

While I agree that Attack on Titan is more fun when they are destroying titans/almost getting destroyed by the titans, Attack on Titan is as much of a political anime that shows what happens when the wrong people are in charge as an anime where humans have to defeat these giant monsters that are better than them. So maybe when the basement is finally found, we can get a good idea of what will really happen to the people in charge.

May 27, 2019 5:54 AM

Aug 2017
WordIsBond said:
SheevPalpatine said:

Well I thought Armin had plot armor since he is essentially a genius on the show and he was looking like a burnt chicken nugget at the end of the episode.

Yum, Armin nuggets!

May 27, 2019 6:00 AM
May 2016
PokestarFan said:
Meta meme right here

Absolutely blessed post. Contrarians are adorable.
May 27, 2019 6:00 AM

Mar 2013
Eventhough I already read the manga for this episode, It still hurts to see Armin got barbequed...
But man... The battle between Levi and Beast Titan is so awesome to see It got animated...

Really good Episode, looking forward to the next Episode with another conflict and despair brewing.
May 27, 2019 6:05 AM
May 2016
Mattinator95 said:
ABDoesThings said:

The writing for this part isn't weak at all. Some people conveniently tend to forget that this ISN'T the last arc of the manga. Spoilers below but

Just had to get this off my chest.
May 27, 2019 6:12 AM

Feb 2014
My mind's almost empty after watching this episode. I want to praise almost everything about it, but I'm not sure where to start! XD

Levi was a man on a mission, as he was able to take out the titans on the right hand side of the beast titan without giving his position away thanks to the flare guns from the other soldiers charging to their deaths. When the beat titan finally took note as to what was happening, it was too late for him and Levi unleashed everything he had on him.

The whole attack, from start to finish, had some incredible fluid animation that I want to replay over and over again. It was THAT good.

Sadly, the messenger titan came along to take the beat titan guy and ran off, although they both will appear in the next episode, so they won't be making a retreat just yet.

However, the true MVP of the episode was Armin. His plan, ultimately, was a sacrificial plan of himself that would bring enough time for Eren to harden the entrance and attack Bertholt. Just seeing Armin getting burnt to a crisp was painful, but he held on with all his strength until his life slip away for good. R.I.P D=

With his sacrifice complete, Eren was able to successfully pull Bertholt out of his colossal titan form and on the other side, Hange makes a sudden return to plant a nice tunder spear into Reiner's face, which gave the perfect opportunity for Mikasa to FINALLY finish him off.

Although the plan was a success, the death of Armin has left me feeling really saddened. Not only that, but the next episode will be covering the same scenes that was shown back at the end of the first half of season 3 as a preview. I don't think my body is ready for what's to potentially come and I haven't even read much of the manga yet, either! X_X
May 27, 2019 6:14 AM

Aug 2017
Nim0174 said:
wildhood said:
An inconsiderate Anituber fucking spoiled Armin's death for me a couple years ago because the title of his AOT chapter review video literally stated that Armin died. Fucking inconsiderate idiot. I wish I never went to his channel. I was hoping it wasn't true. Pissed off that he did actually die.

Still, this was an amazing episode. I just wish I wasn't spoiled about Armin's death.

just try not to get spoiled in the future^^

SheevPalpatine said:

for other people do not open this spoiler its just an answer to sheev

As for Levi, i can agree with that doubt, they don't elaborate on it, so lets just assume Levi is so badass that he can slice pure Titans with blunt blades due to being an Ackermann
also, every Show has Characters with Plot Armor, those that dont die have Plot Armor.
its that simple, there is not 1 show in which not at least one character has Plot Armor.
Or do you know a Show where every single Character dies? I don't

Take Akame ga Kill for example BIG SPOILER

Or JoJo

Every Character has Plot Armor, until they die.
Code Geass?

Death Note?

like dude, most main characters don't die in the middle of a show, and not one show has all main characters die in the middle of a show

I agree. Unfortunately, on another website, someone spoiled for me what will happen to Armin. And there is no way that Armin is going to just die. Ever seen Pokemon? Especially in the movies, just when it looks like it's going to go badly, they somehow manage to win.

Spoiler for what will happen to Armin:
What I was spoiled about might be incorrect, but it would prove my point

May 27, 2019 6:17 AM
Jan 2019
can we all just appreciate the fucking directing in the zeke beatdown? that last bit where levi jams his foot into the beast titans fur and sliced his nape was incredibly well done, extremely visceral.
May 27, 2019 6:17 AM
Jan 2019
can we all just appreciate the fucking directing in the zeke beatdown? that last bit where levi jams his foot into the beast titans fur and sliced his nape was incredibly well done, extremely visceral.
May 27, 2019 6:20 AM

Oct 2017
Awesome episode! I finally got to see Levi vs the Beast Titan animated as well as Armin’s sacrifice.
May 27, 2019 6:31 AM

May 2009
Did they really fucking kill Armin? Omfg ;_; Couldn't they just take Jean headass?
May 27, 2019 6:32 AM

Aug 2015
Arghwksjhjdkdhskshaj
I CAN'T TAKE THIS ANYMORE!!
I should've known this will happen since I'm a manga reader, but as expected, with the voice acting and stuff, THIS IS SO AWESOME!!!

Levi's badass moment that everyone has been waiting for is finally animated!! And it's not even a slighest let down!!

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
May 27, 2019 7:05 AM

Aug 2012
Episode 54 Endcard by Naohiro ŌSUGI

May 27, 2019 7:07 AM
Feb 2012
Just wanted to press: F
May 27, 2019 7:17 AM
Jan 2016
Bow to Armin, Erwin, Marlo, and all soldiers who fight till the end...Big honour for them...But it's not the end, as Erwin said, sacrifice is needed to achieve a bigger goal and that's what it is.
May 27, 2019 7:20 AM

Jul 2012
sim0n2170 said:
Episode 54 Endcard by Naohiro ŌSUGI

What a badass endcard.
May 27, 2019 7:25 AM
Jul 2018
sico_mode said:
I'll have to watch the entire sequence again in slow mo to appreciate all the details. I loved how when fighting the other titans, Levi throws his blade up then catches it before slicing the titan. What flair!
May 27, 2019 7:36 AM

Oct 2015
10/10 episode, this is Attack on Titan at its finest, season 1 included.
Armin was a boss. He deserves to become a Titan at this point. I mean, not that Erwin doesn't deserve it, but he ain't a Main Character sooooo... Q_Q
May 27, 2019 7:42 AM
Jul 2018
All you people with your Armin titan theories giving me hope. If it doesn't turn out to be true, I'll be heartbroken all over again.
May 27, 2019 8:00 AM

Apr 2011
This is so good!

5/5

May 27, 2019 8:07 AM
Jul 2018
Mattinator95 said:
ABDoesThings said:

They try to explain phenomena with physics
May 27, 2019 8:18 AM

Mar 2016
My main man Levi was getting it in against Mr. Baseball Titan, though. That shit was lit af!
May 27, 2019 8:22 AM

Oct 2009
I am just in disbelief..what. Armin..how is this even possible?
May 27, 2019 8:33 AM

Mar 2018
That was crazy! Erwin was taken out. The way Armin died was really sad, but he risked his life for the cause and went out like a real one. Best episode of the season.
"Those that break the rules and regulations are scum. But those who abandon their friends are even worse than scum." -Obito Uchiha
May 27, 2019 9:21 AM
Apr 2017
Best of the season, possibly best of the series. 10/10

I really liked the direction. The music that played before the fight/after Levi's victory was perfect: Not overly cheerful. but with just that small dose of hope to keep you going. Animation was top-notch as well. 10/10 10/10 10/10
May 27, 2019 9:21 AM
Jan 2013
oh boy the tension
rest in pepperoni Armin
hated to see the monkey get snatched away, how come Levi didnt get a hook in him, dammit
very great episode
May 27, 2019 9:25 AM

Mar 2018
This episode was amazing, especially Levi vs beast titan. I'm just disappointed that none of them finished the job. Now it looks like beast titan, Reiner and Bertolt will all survive.
May 27, 2019 9:26 AM
May 2019
Mattinator95 said:
So Funimation will get this today but crunchyroll will get it Wednesday ???
No, they got it sunday too
May 27, 2019 9:28 AM
Jul 2018
Damn this episode was insane. It's gonna be a shitfest next episode when they need to decide who to give the titan serum to
May 27, 2019 9:33 AM

May 2016
This episode was fucking amazing. The levi and beast titan fight was incredible.
May 27, 2019 9:36 AM
Jan 2019
This was EPIC.
That's what I've been waiting for for so long!!!
Such epic fight scenes!
But oh, the end, so much hurt!!!
I hope the next EP goes well for our people, but given it's AoT, I find myself doubting it...

And YAY! Hange is alive!

Sep 2014
lmao its the highest rates TV episode of all time on IMDB

https://www.imdb.com/search/title?title_type=tv_episode&num_votes=1000,&sort=user_rating,desc
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Oct 2007
EEEEEEEEEEEPPIIIIIIIIIICCCC!!!

I'm not sure why but one of my eye got watery when they showed Armin's burned body in the very last scene.

I think.... the Titan Serum might be used on Armin.. or not? Non-manga reader here :P I hope they doesn't use it on that newest recruit that were shown to be the sole survivor though...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2019 9:41 AM

Jan 2018
This episode solidifies Attack on Titan on my top favorite list
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 27, 2019 10:00 AM

Feb 2017
god this was so GOOD - everything about this episode was absolutely amazing.
they finally got bertholdt and reiner which was so relieving but man did it come at a cost :( seeing armin like that was heartbreaking, but i admire his leadership skills and his sacrifice for humanity's sake sososo much

aaaaaa i was so happy to see hange too

placeholder text
May 27, 2019 10:01 AM

Aug 2010
From the most satisfying/epic moment of seeing Levi obliterate the beast titan... to heartfelt moment of Armin's final sacrifice. Can't even put into words what I just saw. My new favorite anime episode.

100/10
May 27, 2019 10:03 AM

May 2016
HOLY FUCK

I thought last episode was fucking amazing... HOLY SHIT. Had to rewatch this one immediately. That was the single greatest episode of Attack On Titan ever, out of all the seasons for me. Easily. That was fucking amazing in so many ways I'm just about speechless...

Levi's entire ""fight"" and retribution against the Ape Titan... That shot with the titans running towards Levi as he drops his used up blades and begins to breakdown over Erwin--with realization creeping in as he starts having time to think again... That rookie guy realizing his love and what was actually important to him as his life comes to an end.. That shot where Levi was in the background wrecking the ensuring titans as the other rookie guy was PTSD'ing the fuck out surrounded by bodies, wondering why he was the one alive... The whole 1-episode creation and execution of Armin's anti-Bertholdt plan and Armin's subsequent fate... The moment of Hange's return and Bertholdt getting surprise fucked by Eren... ALL OF IT. SO MUCH IN ONE EPISODE. And to fit and do all that and still have it feel well paced?
This show can be so fucking incomparably thrilling and epic. The music, the animation, the story, the pacing... It's like all the perfect mix. A distillation of pure hypeness. And with both of Game of Thrones and One Punch Man's latest continuations I am so thankful for Attack on Titan right now, and how it's still delivering like this after all this time and still reaching new heights.

On the episode itself, firstly DAMN was it so satisfying to see them wreck the enemy side like that. It always is with this show but to have the tables turn so completely in one episode? Seeing the titan trio get utterly wrecked and taken so much by surprise was so sadistically cathartic, the Ape Titan's ""fight"" especially. Fuck that was so good and brutal, it even tops that one Levi scene in the OVAs. I can't wait to see the Ape Titan's reaction to the situation on the other side of the wall, and how things are just as fucked now over there. Also I need Eren to drag bitch boy Bertholdt around a bit more please... Maybe a lot more. And for AT LEAST ONE of the shifting titans to die too. I get the feeling Ape Titan is going to escape somehow, kinda has to I guess, but Bertholdt and Reiner CAN'T POSSIBLY survive this. Please kill them show--no taking prisoners. I know there's a thing about Reiner's colossal plot armor so maybe he won't die either... But at least Bertholdt? Please?

And secondly, Armin... :( I've never really felt too close to his character personally--I don't think we ever really got enough varied moments from him for his character to truly shine--but damn if even I wasn't hit by that. In terms of top anime deaths (and assuming he really is dead for good) that is way fucking up there. Armin's character towards the end was really well-done. In both ways.

Besides the amazing pacing (that set up, properly delivered on and completed three huge fights and three different group's strategies/plans all at once as well as multiple character deaths) another thing this episode needs credit for is just how well executed all the plot lines are here. Despite so much being flipped on it's head and the humans winning all three battles against the standardly terrible odds this episode, it still all felt easy to believe. I was never once thrown out of it, or questioned the series of events. There was always enough foreshadowing, sacrifice and/or consistency involved to all of it. More and more with Attack On Titan am I realizing just how much I love Isayama's storywriting, flawed as it may be.

Judging by the preview for next episode it looks like Levi is going to try rescue Erwin with the titan serum he's got, and Erwin will probably refuse provided he's still able to talk. I'm worried about Levi--Erwin is really the only person he's still got/had from way back and the only person that's survived through it all like he has. Even though he never expressed much I think he's is going to realise that he was a lot closer to Erwin and relied on him way more than he'd thought. Levi is gonna realise that he isn't quite so immune from the effects of tragedy and loss. And I do wonder if maybe Eren is going to instead want to use the serum on Armin. Dunno if there'd be much hope but I do recall seeing Eren, Mikasa and Levi fighting over something on that rooftop in the preview for this last season... The titan side this episode (as they tend to do) truly underestimated humanity's ingenuity and sheer stubbornness of will.
Oh and I'm calling it now that Hange is gonna rock a permanent eye patch from now on. Surprised her character didn't already have one tbh

ZaugrMay 27, 2019 12:52 PM
May 27, 2019 10:10 AM

Dec 2009
Funseco said:
Durst0n said:
The culmination of 6 years wait. What an absolute masterpiece.

the chapter with beast titan vs levi came out in 2016

I think he said that regarding THE ABSOLUTE REKT that Reiner and Berthold had in this episode haha (since I guess the anime first season was in 2013)
Batora07May 27, 2019 10:17 AM
May 27, 2019 10:11 AM

Jan 2015
AOT jumped 2 positions in top 100 after this episode. 10/10 best episode of the season
May 27, 2019 10:24 AM

Jul 2014
It's has been a beautiful adaptation
May 27, 2019 10:34 AM

Jul 2012
BinaryFinary said:
AOT jumped 2 positions in top 100 after this episode. 10/10 best episode of the season

For now this is the peak, but just you wait for the basement portion, and THAT will establish this as a masterpiece for good in the eyes of many haha

I can't wait to see it animated <3
May 27, 2019 10:53 AM
Aug 2018
This was phenomenal, rarely would I actually consider an episode 10/10 but this is it.

People rightly go on about the animation for Levi vs Beast Titan but Mikasa vs Reiner tops it for me. Reiner exploding out of the back of his titan was incredibly well animated and the music was perfect.
Cant wait for next week, this show just keeps getting better and better
Pages (15) « First ... « 5 6 [7] 8 9 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2019

458 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 6:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.