Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 25, 2019 7:16 AM

Nov 2017
Why do writers still use that trope where a character gets knocked over and is about to be stabbed, shot or otherwise killed by a baddie, and the baddie sloooowly raises their weapon but at the last second is killed by another character. Why must they do this? When has a protagonist ever actually died in that scenario? Does this trope even build momentary suspense anymore, because this scene seems like it happens in every action series.
It's not like I like anime or anything.

May 25, 2019 7:21 AM

Jan 2013
I think a worse trope is the one where a character gets hit by something that creates a cloud of smoke around them and then everybody stands around waiting for it to clear wondering whether it was enough to beat them but it literally never is.
May 25, 2019 7:30 AM

Nov 2017
vegeta8639 said:
I think a worse trope is the one where a character gets hit by something that creates a cloud of smoke around them and then everybody stands around waiting for it to clear wondering whether it was enough to beat them but it literally never is.

Exactly. It's just a waste of screen time when they do things like that. Not sure if you would count this as an exception to the smoke screen thing, but the Midoriya vs Todoroki fight from the MHA S2 tournament arc has one where the character actually goes down afterwards if i remember correctly.

May 25, 2019 7:33 AM
Jul 2018
AngryCactus said:
Why do writers still use that trope where a character gets knocked over and is about to be stabbed, shot or otherwise killed by a baddie, and the baddie sloooowly raises their weapon but at the last second is killed by another character. Why must they do this? When has a protagonist ever actually died in that scenario? Does this trope even build momentary suspense anymore, because this scene seems like it happens in every action series.
That does happen a lot, though you can't deny it was awesome here

May 25, 2019 7:40 AM

Nov 2017
operationvalkyri said:
AngryCactus said:
That does happen a lot, though you can't deny it was awesome here

Yeah the Matrix is sick. That agent had essentially zero plot armor which is why the trope was effective on him
AngryCactusMay 25, 2019 8:04 AM

May 25, 2019 7:48 AM
Jul 2018
AngryCactus said:

Yeah the Matrix is sick, but I meant when it happens to a main or even a supporting character with some degree of plot armor. That agent had essentially zero plot armor which is why the trope was effective on him
In this scene, Neo, the protagonist, does have plot armour. He's the one on the ground about to be shot by the agent, when Trinity shows up and shoots the agent. This scene shows exactly what you describe, but it does so very slickly. Tropes, if used well, can look really good. But yeah using them without any imagination does lead to boring, predictable scenes.
May 25, 2019 8:05 AM

Nov 2017
operationvalkyri said:
AngryCactus said:

Yeah the Matrix is sick, but I meant when it happens to a main or even a supporting character with some degree of plot armor. That agent had essentially zero plot armor which is why the trope was effective on him
In this scene, Neo, the protagonist, does have plot armour. He's the one on the ground about to be shot by the agent, when Trinity shows up and shoots the agent. This scene shows exactly what you describe, but it does so very slickly. Tropes, if used well, can look really good. But yeah using them without any imagination does lead to boring, predictable scenes.

Oh you're right, I just didn't process Neo being there in the framing of that GIF lol.

May 25, 2019 8:07 AM

Apr 2015
The action trope that annoys me is character power levels.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 25, 2019 8:09 AM

Nov 2017
Tropisch said:
The action trope that annoys me is character power levels.

shhhhh, can you hear that? It's the sound of a shonen protagonist surpassing their limits

May 25, 2019 8:16 AM

Nov 2013
i know it's not purely contained in action anime, but when two people are running away from something/someone and they are HOLDING HANDS.

like... have you ever tried running fast and holding someones hand at the same time? you just end up dragging them, they drag you, or just both fall/trip over. it kills me whenever i see it. you're actually making yourselves go so much slower!!!
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 25, 2019 8:26 AM
Oct 2018
i'd have to say when the "Antagonist" raises his sword/blade up in the air then in super fucking slow-mo with blurry vision, either mc-kun gets a power boost or someone saves him lmao
May 25, 2019 8:27 AM

Nov 2017
Sad said:
i know it's not purely contained in action anime, but when two people are running away from something/someone and they are HOLDING HANDS.

like... have you ever tried running fast and holding someones hand at the same time? you just end up dragging them, they drag you, or just both fall/trip over. it kills me whenever i see it. you're actually making yourselves go so much slower!!!

I guess I could see that being necessary if the other person was a small child, but then again, at that point it would be better to either pick up the child or ditch them

May 25, 2019 8:33 AM

Nov 2013
AngryCactus said:
Sad said:

I guess I could see that being necessary if the other person was a small child, but then again, at that point it would be better to either pick up the child or ditch them

lol that's even worse! consider the strides of an adult running, then the strides of a 5 year old, it really isn't possible to 'run' alongside them lol. definitely have to pick them up piggy-back style or in your arms or just sacrifice them for the greater good
the official MAL hall of fame/cursed comments is now open for business - you are welcome to PM me any potential quotes to include
May 25, 2019 9:41 AM

Dec 2009
The trope can be better used when it is a supporting character lying on the ground. There's an actual possibility of death.
May 25, 2019 10:03 AM

Apr 2018
One of the action anime tropes i hate (which is very prevalent in Bleach) is when a character gets cut by a bad guy and they make it super dramatic with all the blood spraying out in slo-mo...then the camera pans to show it was just a non-lethal shoulder/arm/leg cut.
May 25, 2019 10:09 AM

Nov 2017
Stygian_Prisoner said:
One of the action anime tropes i hate (which is very prevalent in Bleach) is when a character gets cut by a bad guy and they make it super dramatic with all the blood spraying out in slo-mo...then the camera pans to show it was just a non-lethal shoulder/arm/leg cut.

They do something similar quite often in the Gintama Shogun assassination arc where the characters will just collect serious wounds and then continue fighting

May 25, 2019 10:11 AM
Jul 2018
Having crap and abysmal romance.   
May 25, 2019 10:18 AM

Jul 2017
And it's always the MC who ends up doing the saving

AngryCactus said:
Stygian_Prisoner said:

They do something similar quite often in the Gintama Shogun assassination arc where the characters will just collect serious wounds and then continue fighting

They do that in all Gintama arcs lol. Gintoki probably lost an airplane's worth of blood
May 25, 2019 10:21 AM
Sep 2015
AngryCactus said:
Stygian_Prisoner said:

The only thing I’ve seen where that makes since is One Piece and Zoro because it goes along with his character and also is added in a comedic way.
May 25, 2019 10:37 AM

Aug 2018
Step one, make a surprise attack
step two, scream "I'm here" before attacking
step three, the attack fails...

That is the most retarded troupe ever imo...
May 25, 2019 10:40 AM

Apr 2018
@PatViBrittania:
"The only thing I’ve seen where that makes since is One Piece and Zoro because it goes along with his character and also is added in a comedic way."

I've only watched a fraction of One Piece, but i'll give it a pass 'cause when Mihawk slashes Zoro across the chest with his huge sword (in the Baratie arc) it's acknowledged as a serious injury, and it had to stay bandaged for several episodes.
Hell, even Arlong sees it later on, and comments that it's a miracle that he's still alive. I appreciated that.
May 25, 2019 10:52 AM

Jan 2018
-Damsel in distress
-Underdeveloped romance
-Underdeveloped villain
-Dense MC
-Beta male MC
-Token black friend?

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 25, 2019 10:53 AM

Nov 2007
Shouting the name of the move before attacking annoys me to no ends. You are basically telling your opponent what to expect ffs.

Although GIGA DRILL BREAKER is limitless.
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 25, 2019 10:54 AM

Feb 2010
Pretty sure all tropes are about equally (un)necessary. I guess you meant to say you're talking about your personally most disliked one.

In any case I don't have one. All the action tropes are okay, I've seen them countless times and they still don't annoy me, if anything I find them something between charming and amusing depending on how they are executed.

A show can only really trigger me by how it executes its characters and their values and personalities etc... and there might be some (romance) tropes along those lines that I would feel similarly negative about, but when it comes to something as neutral as action, I don't mind most tropes, I can see their point or appeal, and even if I dislike the execution in some cases it's never a big deal, just a slight downside. It's often just a matter of interpretation too.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 25, 2019 11:13 AM

Aug 2018
The most unnecessary trope? For me its when the MC gets beaten to pulp or is losing, but then all of a sudden, X thing occurs/remembered they can now instantly win.

A famous example is someone getting hurt/dying that is not the MC, and boom! They've awoken some hidden power. Antag is now absolutely fucked nearly 90% of the time.

This is in my opinion is absolutely retarded, and is disheartening because you can see it a mile away.

Yes I feel very strongly about this because so many scenes have gone to shit because of this.
warning this idiot is a professional retard
May 25, 2019 11:33 AM

Feb 2010
Krayken said:
The most unnecessary trope? For me its when the MC gets beaten to pulp or is losing, but then all of a sudden, X thing occurs/remembered they can now instantly win.

A famous example is someone getting hurt/dying that is not the MC, and boom! They've awoken some hidden power. Antag is now absolutely fucked nearly 90% of the time.

This is in my opinion is absolutely retarded, and is disheartening because you can see it a mile away.

Yes I feel very strongly about this because so many scenes have gone to shit because of this.

what's the problem tho? It makes complete sense for a strong emotional impetus to impact the psychology of a character, giving them renewed determination, spirit, energy, motivation, whatever you want to call it. It's similar to people suddenly being able to lift cars in extreme emergency situations when the adrenaline is flowing. It makes sense both psychologically (in resetting the state of mind) and physically (in giving them an adrenaline rush).

Especially when it's a show where the powers are already random and unrealistic and just explained as 'magic' or 'spirit energy' or whatever. Why shouldn't emotions have a considerable impact on those powers if they are already kind of spiritual in nature?
May 25, 2019 11:39 AM

Dec 2016
Yeah I hate that trope. I feel like I see it a lot more often in Western TV/movies than in anime, though.

What's the difference?
May 25, 2019 11:42 AM

Aug 2018
Pullman said:
Krayken said:

what's the problem tho? It makes complete sense for a strong emotional impetus to impact the psychology of a character, giving them renewed determination, spirit, energy, motivation, whatever you want to call it. It's similar to people suddenly being able to lift cars in extreme emergency situations when the adrenaline is flowing. It makes sense both psychologically (in resetting the state of mind) and physically (in giving them an adrenaline rush).

Especially when it's a show where the powers are already random and unrealistic and just explained as 'magic' or 'spirit energy' or whatever. Why shouldn't emotions have a considerable impact on those powers if they are already kind of spiritual in nature?

The problem is that I don't like that trope.
warning this idiot is a professional retard
May 25, 2019 11:50 AM

Feb 2010
Krayken said:
Pullman said:

For no reason?

Okay then.

You talked about scenes going to shit like there were some actual issues with the trope making shows worse, but if it's only you having the issues without being able to explain what's wrong with it then that's a different story. Can't argue with unreflected preferences after all.

Sorry for bothering you.
May 25, 2019 12:00 PM

Dec 2012
The dumbest action series trope by far is when characters scream the name of their attacks and techniques as they do them. Bonus stupidity points if the name of the attack is written on screen too or if they completely lost the element of surprise and a chance at a devastating sneak attack because they couldn't keep their mouth shut and pummel the bad guy when his guard was down.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 25, 2019 12:19 PM
Sep 2018
I hate the never ending conversations between the bad guy and MC midfight.
May 25, 2019 3:48 PM

Apr 2014
announcing the names of their moves every time they use it
May 25, 2019 10:24 PM

Nov 2017
shanimebib said:
Shouting the name of the move before attacking annoys me to no ends. You are basically telling your opponent what to expect ffs.

Although GIGA DRILL BREAKER is limitless.

Ha, not wrong, it wouldn't be TTGL without it.

May 25, 2019 10:29 PM

Nov 2017
Pullman said:
Krayken said:

For no reason?

Okay then.

You talked about scenes going to shit like there were some actual issues with the trope making shows worse, but if it's only you having the issues without being able to explain what's wrong with it then that's a different story. Can't argue with unreflected preferences after all.

Sorry for bothering you.

I agree with him Pullman. It usually feels really lazy when writers do that. Its not always the worst, but many of those types of scenes would have been better if the protag was able to overcome the situation by outwitting their opponents instead of using willpower.

May 25, 2019 10:30 PM

Nov 2017
WizardSaintLaxus said:
I hate the never ending conversations between the bad guy and MC midfight.

But they add so much "character development" lol

May 25, 2019 10:47 PM

Mar 2008
Kruszer said:
The dumbest action series trope by far is when characters scream the name of their attacks and techniques as they do them. Bonus stupidity points if the name of the attack is written on screen too or if they completely lost the element of surprise and a chance at a devastating sneak attack because they couldn't keep their mouth shut and pummel the bad guy when his guard was down.

While overused it has a purpose. It's just there to make fan discussion about events easier. Though they have to be pretty dense to not remember attack names and recognize them
May 25, 2019 10:52 PM

Feb 2018
When the MC and the villian one up another
"Let's attack!"
"Foolish human! This is nothing! I've got you cornered now, so take this!"
"ugh!"
"I have defeated yo--w-wait, what's that?!"
"Have you not realized that this was my plan all along, villain?"
"*laughs*Hmph, you think this can defeat me?! I saw your plan from a mile away!"

....so on and so forth. It gets tiring to see the boring ol' twist of "I've prepared for this!" Especially the ones that try to bullshit on how the character knew this would happen from the beginning
May 25, 2019 11:00 PM

Nov 2017
foxsuprise said:
When the MC and the villian one up another
"Let's attack!"
"Foolish human! This is nothing! I've got you cornered now, so take this!"
"ugh!"
"I have defeated yo--w-wait, what's that?!"
"Have you not realized that this was my plan all along, villain?"
"*laughs*Hmph, you think this can defeat me?! I saw your plan from a mile away!"

....so on and so forth. It gets tiring to see the boring ol' twist of "I've prepared for this!" Especially the ones that try to bullshit on how the character knew this would happen from the beginning

I'm glad that one pisses somebody else off too. Its so much more powerful when you can actually see plans unfolding naturally and not explained retroactively.

May 25, 2019 11:04 PM

Nov 2013
When a character shouts for no reason when performing an attack.

When a character decides to just stand there and talk to the enemy instead of attacking them.

May 26, 2019 7:29 AM
Mar 2015
The villain who drones on and on about how strong he is instead of killing of the hero
May 26, 2019 8:13 AM

Nov 2018
"Never kill the antagonist" trope is the one that I hate the most.

- Step 1: The antagonist threatens many people (few, large group, entire building, entire city, etc)
- Step 2: The protagonist overpower the antagonist. The antagonist shows no remorse.
- Step 3: The protagonist DO NOT KILL the antagonist.
- Step 4: The antagonist plan almost succeed leading to almost killing everyone in the building, the city, etc.
- Step 5: A bad luck kicks in, the antagonist dies in an accident, the protagonist becomes a hero.

I Hate that! We need to catch the author and the script writer, lock them in a room and make them watch "Happy Tree Friends" until their morality level restore. No hero would allow a treat to innocent people to continue to exists because absolute "morale".

More topics from this board

Poll: » Do you tend to watch newer seasonal shows, or older shows?

Akuya - 6 hours ago

24 by Blackfire2340 »»
1 minute ago

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

93 by Ratris_Decision »»
8 minutes ago

» Do you find how the anime community finds something to be edgy annoying?

vasipi4946 - 6 hours ago

12 by Ratris_Decision »»
13 minutes ago

Sticky: » AWC 2024 Anime Watching Challenge - Sign-Up (Open Until December 10th) ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

AWC_mod - Jan 1

972 by Animekiralover »»
17 minutes ago

» Why were children’s anime dubs so unappreciated?

funtime43_tr - Yesterday

25 by QPR »»
44 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.