Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 22, 2019 4:10 AM

Jun 2016
Recently the concept of what makes an anime a 'classic' has been the centre of attention from the likes of Gigguk, Mother's Basement and other anime youtubers. In your opinion, what anime from this decade would you believe to be classics? Please also include reasons why :)
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 22, 2019 4:28 AM

May 2018
Kimi no Na Wa

Assuming the current ongoing get complete adaptations. It feel wrong to call something classic if they don't get complete adaptations.

Attack on Titan
SAO
OPM
BnHA
Steins Gate
Madoka
Love Live

Mostly base on the huge positive receptions they got.
Papa_ScorchMay 22, 2019 5:14 AM
May 22, 2019 4:29 AM
Jul 2018
This is first time ever that I've agreed with Mother's basement over Gigguk. I believe there are classic anime from the 2010s; we just don't see them that way they haven't been around for long. But there are shows that WILL stay a long time, and those are the ones I consider the classics from this decade.

Steins;Gate
There is no better SF story in anime. There is no better time travel story on TV or in film.

Monogatari series
Redefined both surreal and echhi anime.

Attack on titan
Managed to catch the entire world's attention. Still going strong.

One Punch Man
Will be remembered for its animation spectacle for years.

3-gatsu no Lion
High up there in terms of both impact and quality (to use Gigguk's criteria). Has not made a bombastic impact but will continue to stay in conversations to come due to sheer quality.

Fate/Zero
A modern tragedy.
removed-userMay 22, 2019 4:32 AM
May 22, 2019 4:39 AM

Dec 2015
Steins;Gate because to this day people keep talking favorably about it.

Madoka Magica because of the impact it has on the magical girl genre.

Sword Art Online because it kickstarted the isekai boom that doesn't seem to end.

Kimi no Na Wa because of its sheer popularity and critical succes. To this day people talk about it.

Shingeki no Kyojin because of its sheer popularity.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, despite its manga being one from the 80's, because people won't shut up about it and because seemingly everything is influenced by it.

Fate series: idem Jojo

I'm tempted to put Monogatari on this list but I'm not sure about whether it's just me or if it really is as popular as it seems. also the first season is from 2008.
May 22, 2019 4:49 AM

Jun 2017
I don't like Mother basement videos but I will watch his video probably soon. Well let's just answer the topic:

K-On!!: Even after almost 10 years no CGDCT series became as popular as K-On in the west and is one of the most CGDCT in Japan and also increased the number of CGDCT shows (also CGDCT series before K-On rarely had those eat and drink scenes but after K-On, we see them in like every show)

Madoka Magica: Yep, it's not the first dark mahou shoujo out there but it changed the mahou shoujo genre.

SAO: Definitely a classic in Japan at least, increased the number of isekai shows.

Your Name: Sales, popularity, its success and everything else is enough to call it a classic

Made in Abyss: Became mainstream, Ghibli vibes probably...

Love Live: Not sure about this but before Love Live idol shows mostly was just targeted at kids and with so many episodes but after that we see every season a seasonal idol show

Kemono Friends: Too early to call it a classic but increased the popularity and number of mobile game adaptations in Japan and also full CGI shows...
May 22, 2019 5:04 AM

Jan 2019
I'm interested to see what slightly less mainstream anime will be considered a cult classic years on from now. Personally I'd love to see that happen to Houseki no Kuni, its pretty revolutionary for CGI anime and also just an intriguing, unique story with lovable characters. It's already gained a small but dedicated fanbase so I'd say its possible.

As for modern classics, people are definitely going to still be making Jojo references until the end of time, it's well on its way to classic status
_HohoMay 22, 2019 5:08 AM
May 22, 2019 5:50 AM

Aug 2010
AoT
SAO
JoJos
hero academia (not yet but has that chance to be)
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
May 22, 2019 5:57 AM

Nov 2011
I agree with Monogatari series and Madoka Magica..
Too bad they are not yet ended for good..
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 22, 2019 6:03 AM

Jan 2018
Oftentimes it can be hard to distinguish between what'll become a classic, and what's ultimately just a trend. Just because a series or film is a cash grab doesn't immediately validate its candidacy in the run for becoming a classic; that just means it was wildly popular during its time and made a lot of sales. And when I say 'its time', that can be referring to 10+ years. Basically, it's really difficult to determine what will be considered a classic from the year 2010 onward, but I think it'll really boil down to the impact on the industry as a whole that the title in question had. Sword Art Online and Kimi no Na wa were huge cash grabs, sure, but will they be remembered in 20-30 years' time as cornerstones of the animated medium? Who knows.

HohoVFX said:
I'm interested to see what slightly less mainstream anime will be considered a cult classic years on from now. Personally I'd love to see that happen to Houseki no Kuni, its pretty revolutionary for CGI anime and also just an intriguing, unique story with lovable characters. It's already gained a small but dedicated fanbase so I'd say its possible.

I can definitely see this being the case for Houseki no Kuni, but even more so for the majority of Masaaki Yuasa's works. Anything that strays from the norm and dares to be different usually ends up with a cult following at the very least, but it's also not uncommon for titles that receive little recognition during their time to see the limelight years down the road, too.
GreyleafMay 22, 2019 6:08 AM

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 22, 2019 8:36 AM

Apr 2014
hxh 2011, steins;gate, aot
the way i interpret classic is basically what we will tell other people to watch the most if they wanted to watch 2010 anime
May 22, 2019 8:42 AM
*hug noises*

May 2013
In terms of sheer popularity even outside the general anime community then Sword Art Online, Shingeki no Kyojin, Boku no Hero Academia and One Punch Man

In terms of generally extremely positive reception ever since they aired without really falling off the radar then also Steins;Gate, Madoka Magica, Hunter x Hunter (2011) and Kimi no Na wa

Love Live, K-On and the Monogatari Series are also arguably classics in the sense that they kind of defined their own respective genres

I'd maybe also throw in Gintama: while it's always been kind of niche, it's also always been extremely well received within its own limited fanbase and never ceases to go out of fashion considering that it just keeps on delivering top rated seasons. Could maybe make a similar case for Jojo as well, albeit to a slightly lesser extent
HaXXspettenMay 22, 2019 8:49 AM
May 22, 2019 8:51 AM
Oct 2017
Penguindrum, a hidden gem but ahead of it's time in some ways, definitely a classic in the near future.
May 22, 2019 8:53 AM
Dec 2017
Angel beats is the classical drama of this generation
kaichou wa maid sama the classical romance
one punch man is the classical action
konosuba the classical comedy

May 22, 2019 8:54 AM

May 2014
Non Non Biyori because it's the best anime ever, unmatched.
May 22, 2019 9:37 AM
Jan 2019
Issmail22Lawfy said:

not gonna agree on angel beats it was total shit....
May 22, 2019 9:39 AM

Jul 2016
Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood

Shinsekai Yori (Have not watched it, but it is loved by elitists so I definitely think it will)

May 22, 2019 9:43 AM

Mar 2016
I honestly think I still need to dig deeper into this still ongoing era of 2010s before I make a list of what I think should be considered classics.

However, I'd throw Parasyte The Maxim, Madoka Magica, Steins Gate, and Kill La Kill in this fray.
May 22, 2019 11:20 AM

Apr 2016
We are still in the 2010's. If you actually watched the videos they also mentioned something that I agree with: it's too early to decide what's going to mean something 20 years from now. Something can be amazing, but just disappear into the pile of other good seasonals (Ex. Made in Abyss). And something can be a pioneer for a genre, but not be on the level of quality of other current classics (Ex. SAO).

At this point, the only anime that I can sort of predict being a classic would be MHA or One Punch Man. I can walk in a crowd and shout "Go Beyond PLUS ULTRA" or "ONE PUUUNCH!!!" and have half of the people there losing their s***.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 22, 2019 11:29 AM

Aug 2018
I would say at least one requirement for being a classic is that they must be sufficiently old but still retained relevance. So I would say that no anime from the 2010's really fits the description of a classic, at least not yet. Well see in a few decades time. I love Bakemonogatari but it feels disingenuous to call it a classic at this point.
May 22, 2019 11:40 AM

Oct 2010
There are many issues with the way this thread can be approached. I am tempted to just state my favorites because they will surely be the ones I will remember in twenty years, but I know this is not what this thread intends. On the other hand, some define classics in a way that scares me in how strict it is. Like to be a classic something has to shape the medium in some sort of HUGE and bombastic way and honestly you don't need that to get a show that survives through the decades and is remembered fondly.

I think the answers to this thread are going to either underestimate or overestimate what the term classic means, inevitably. If we lack the perspective of time, this is impossible to answer. I get that this is just a thread to speculate but we can't even measure our bias at this point.
May 22, 2019 12:01 PM

Nov 2016
In this context, I think of a classic as an essential or a staple anime that will still be watched by a good amount of people 10 years(from now) later down the line.

As already mentioned. SAO, AoT, MyHero, Steins;Gate and HxH are pretty good choices . Depending on preferences, Shigatsu, Ping Pong and The Tatamy Galaxy seem reasonable as well . Granted, it's hard to look that far into the future, especially in fast-paced times like these.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 22, 2019 12:06 PM

Dec 2016
holysauron said:
Steins;Gate because to this day people keep talking favorably about it.

Madoka Magica because of the impact it has on the magical girl genre.

Sword Art Online because it kickstarted the isekai boom that doesn't seem to end.

Kimi no Na Wa because of its sheer popularity and critical succes. To this day people talk about it.

Shingeki no Kyojin because of its sheer popularity.

Jojo's Bizarre Adventure, despite its manga being one from the 80's, because people won't shut up about it and because seemingly everything is influenced by it.

Fate series: idem Jojo

I'm tempted to put Monogatari on this list but I'm not sure about whether it's just me or if it really is as popular as it seems. also the first season is from 2008.

Completely agree with you here. However, as much as I like Monogatari, I would not say that Monogatari is a classic. It is not something I can recommand to newcomers. I feel like it is the kind of show that everybody knows about, but where only a small portion of these people have seen it.
May 22, 2019 12:11 PM

Jun 2014
Surprised no one has said Psycho Pass. I know everything after the first season isn't nearly as good, but the first season was some real good shit.
(x෴x)
May 22, 2019 12:37 PM
Aug 2018
Steins Gate- My favorite cast of characters in an anime, good but generic plot, does a good job being lighthearted and being dark simultaneously. Every character gets development and can be relatable at times. The relationship between Kurisu and Okabe slowly develops into a very close (mostly romantic) bond, and finishes with Okabe having resolve.

Banana Fish- A hidden gem with people being turned off by the “Shounen Ai” undertones but hides a very dark and gritty tale about the mystery of “Banana Fish”. Good characters, a actually good antagonist (but stills does a bunch of villain cliches), great animation (but can be inconsistent at times), and a fantastic soundtrack. The relationship between Ash and Eiji is the strongest aspect of this show, proves that men can be close without any romantic implications.

HUNTER X HUNTER 2011- Definitely one of the best battle shounen I’ve watched, even with the annoying tropes and cliches, it makes up for it’s characters and pacing.

Kill La Kill- I thought I was going to hate this show because of Gurren Lagaan but I was wrong, it’s way better than Gurren Lagaan and has more characters for me to care about. Fantastic animation, kickass soundtrack, and does a good job making fun of all of the cliches that plague anime like a disease.

Psycho Pass- The philosophical themes, main protagonist gets development (I didn’t like her at first because of her being an annoyance), a compelling antihero even though he monologues way too much, and the way lgbt characters are depicted it’s not fucking fetishized but realistically portrayed, it doesn’t throw it in your face but subtly gives you clues, the lesbian couple actually acts like a normal couple and not wanting to kiss or fuck every two seconds (I hate Yuri so don’t quote me about it, don’t recommend me any because I will not listen).

I don’t agree with them so let’s see in several years if they stand the test of time
GrandassassinMay 22, 2019 12:49 PM
May 22, 2019 1:24 PM

Dec 2012
Hard to say, but maybe:

Accel World
Ajin
Alderamin on the Sky
Aldnoah Zero
The Ancient Magus' Bride
Angel Beats
Attack on Titan
Barakamon
Beyond the Boundary
Bunny Drop
Chaika: Coffin Princess/Avenging Battle
Darling in the FranXX
Death Paraqde
Erased
Fate/Zero
Fate/Stay Night: Unlimited Blade Works TV
Future Diary
The Heroic Legend of Arslan
Highschool DXD/New/Born/Hero
Highschool of the Dead
Hinamatsuri
Kingdom
Jormungand/Jormungand: Perfect Order
One Punch Man
Overlord
Parasyte
Psycho-Pass
Puella Magi Madoka Magica
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Re:Zero
The Seven Deadly Sins
Shiki
A Silent Voice
Snow White With the Red Hair
Star Blazers 2199/2202
Steins; Gate
Sword Art Online
Tokyo Ghoul
Violet Evergarden
Yona of the Dawn
Your Name
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 22, 2019 1:26 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
if kill la kill ever gets treated as a classic i'm going to kill la kill myself

ba dum tiss

-----

Iunno and I don't care to try to predict. Let time run its course on that one. What's considered a classic doesn't necessitate any kind of viewing or reverence in of itself, and it's just something being remembered by the consensus as either impactful on the medium its a part of, or something being considered quite good and is treated with a large degree of praise over a longer period of time than the average life-span of a piece of media. I consider it to be a bit of a worthless designation in terms of how I look at media, because I don't care to LARP as a professional critic. Which, analyzing and trying to understand why the desigination is being applied to a given to a work in the (then) present is probably where I'd understand that designation having the most value.

Anitubers trying to make this a focal point of discussion so often is something I view with distrust. Like, it just feels it's trying to get people to pre-emptively deem modern works they want to be considered classics in the future to be as much too far ahead of time. The mixture of the breadth of their platform, recurring audiences that have a noted tendency to reiterate/parrot their preferred anitubers' stances and opinions quite heavily, and my impression that even the better ones come off as being self-absorbed pricks that seek to mold their audiences into their image, with any sort advocation of self-determination tending to come off as a two-faced lipservice to that obnoxiously loud sect of the fandom that rails against critical analysis on the basis of relativism and subjectivity, kind of compounds to form something that feels like a pit in my stomach. But maybe I'm just being far too cynical for my own good with that, so I'll go as far as to take myself with a grain of salt with this second paragraph.
ManabanMay 22, 2019 1:46 PM

May 22, 2019 2:39 PM

Dec 2016
Can something with a generalized bad reputation despite its popularity be considered a classic?

I can't see as a classic something that doesn't carry a positive connotation, so I can't think of something like SAO as a future classic, despite being a hit and it's influence in the isekai trend.

May 22, 2019 2:45 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Arkab said:
Can something with a generalized bad reputation despite its popularity be considered a classic?

I can't see as a classic something that doesn't carry a positive connotation, so I can't think of something like SAO as a future classic, despite being a hit and it's influence in the isekai trend.

It depends more on how people respond to it in the future than the here and now. Something can be met with widespread applause in the present can be met with contempt down the line, and on the other hand, something can be controversial or met with disgust at the time it's released and then almost universally lauded down the line. The latter can be kind of more cult-status-y than classic in many cases, though, albeit I've always kind of interpreted that as being just a variant on titling something a classic in the first place.

Really, this discussion is good for predictions and that's about it, we're not going to be able to establish the perception of a series a couple of decades from now based on the current environment. And, mind you, I'd question whether or not it was appropriate to do so if the attempt was being made or if that was the desire in this discussion being established. Viewing it from a present-only perspective seems like it misses the point, though.

May 22, 2019 3:26 PM

Oct 2008
Reason is because these are the current popular, top and favorite anime series of the majority.

Mirai Nikki
Sword Art Online
Shingeki no Kyoujin
Tokyo Ghoul
Boku no hero academia
Made in abyss
Ore no Imouto ga Konnani Kawaii Wake ga Nai

And
"Steins gate" maybe
May 22, 2019 3:44 PM
Jul 2018
Tale of Princess Kaguya definitely, despite the low popularity. Classic not just for Japan but world animation. I doubt anything similar will be produced again. Too expensive to make and it was a commercial failure.

As for series I'll add Little Witch Academia.
Kill la Kill was fine but without M. Otsuka and M. Shimada (RIP) it felt soulless
May 22, 2019 4:05 PM
Dec 2017
Ricochet2000 said:
Issmail22Lawfy said:

not gonna agree on angel beats it was total shit....

not gonna agree with you it was the best short dramatic anime i've ever seen , and i've seen a lot of drama
May 22, 2019 5:17 PM

Oct 2010
petran79 said:
Tale of Princess Kaguya definitely, despite the low popularity. Classic not just for Japan but world animation. I doubt anything similar will be produced again. Too expensive to make and it was a commercial failure.

This one I quite agree with. The movie is big particularly among Western film critics. It's almost guaranteed to transcend.
May 22, 2019 6:12 PM
Jul 2018
There are several that can be good contenders:
1. Steins Gate and Madoka - they have similar reasons to be classics
2. My Hero Academia, One Punch Man and Attack on Titan - quality-wise, they are the best mainstream/overrated shows
3. Nichijou - if Lucky Star and Azumanga Daioh are sometimes considered classics then why tf not?
4. Violet Evergarden - I guess maybe because of Netflix
5. SAO - while not great quality wise, but damn it made a huge impact
May 22, 2019 6:53 PM

Nov 2016
I feel like any anime that could be call a classic came out in the earlier part of the decade
Not that I think the quality went down but I really can't think of anything that really had any real longevity pass 2015. Even things like made in abyss or kimi no na wa haven't passed the 2 to 3 years mark and so my list will be

Hunter x hunter 2011
K on
Steins gate
Fate zero
Jojo bizarre adventure
Monogatari series
Attack on titan
May 22, 2019 7:06 PM

Aug 2018
I'm probably missing stuff, but I would consider these to be overall Classics in anime for one reason or another:

• Attack on Titan
  • Boku no Hero Academia
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011)
  • One Punch Man
  • Steins;Gate
  • Sword Art Online
  • Your Lie in April

This next list of anime straddle the line between classic and cult classics anime to me:

• Ancient Magus Bride
  • Death Parade
  • Made in Abyss
  • Mob Psycho 100
  • Mirai Nikki
  • Parasyte: The Maxim
  • Ping Pong the Animation
  • Psycho Pass
  • Violet Evergarden
BigAristotle94May 22, 2019 7:11 PM
May 23, 2019 12:09 AM
Feb 2014
Whatever e-celebs call classics I call normalfag entry level shit.
May 23, 2019 1:04 AM
Jan 2019
Why the hell people calling kill la kill a classic and comparing with gurren lagann its not even close to the epicness of TTGL
May 23, 2019 1:36 AM
Jul 2018
Optigisa said:

Shinsekai Yori (Have not watched it, but it is loved by elitists so I definitely think it will)

I'm sure shinsekai yori can only be loved by elitists cause I couldn't enjoy it at all
May 23, 2019 4:26 AM
Jan 2019
laviha said:
Optigisa said:

I'm sure shinsekai yori can only be loved by elitists cause I couldn't enjoy it at all
I'm not a elitist but shinsekai yori is really good don't know what u are talking about
May 23, 2019 9:56 AM
Jul 2018
Ricochet2000 said:
laviha said:

I'm not a elitist but shinsekai yori is really good don't know what u are talking about

I dropped it after episode 6, does it get better later?
May 23, 2019 10:08 AM
Jan 2018
houseki no kuni
first full cgi anime that has way better animation than most of anime in this decade
May 23, 2019 10:14 AM

Jan 2009
i say Devilman Crybaby just because its like the most nihilistic show i have seen on any media
May 23, 2019 10:47 AM

Oct 2013
deg said:
i say Devilman Crybaby just because its like the most
nihilistic show i have seen on any media

Wait, isn't it already a classic before it got its remake? I'm sure that series inspired a lot of manga back in the 80s I believe?
May 23, 2019 10:56 AM

Jan 2009
keragamming said:
deg said:
i say Devilman Crybaby just because its like the most
nihilistic show i have seen on any media

Wait, isn't it already a classic before it got its remake? I'm sure that series inspired a lot of manga back in the 80s I believe?

yep but anime is not so close to being mainstream back then
May 23, 2019 11:00 AM
Jul 2018
I think what classic anime share in common, is that they are almost unlike anything else:

Durarara!!: absolute chaos and fun, with very interesting storylines and characters. Unlike any anime, aside from Baccano.

Konosuba: unlike any comedy anime that I've seen: subverts isekai tropes, mean to hilarious effect, with some of the most (ironically) likeable characters and best chemistry I've seen between characters.

Date a Live: a classic among ecchi/harems. Good characters, and a really fun and interesting storyline.

Highschool DxD: an ecchi series that does not hold back. A rarity among its genre.

Devil is a Part Timer: a geniuenly hilarious comedy with more unexpectedly down-to-Earth humour, and original plot.

Kill la Kill: pure insanity, with great characters, and a story that gets bigger and bigger.

In This Corner of the World: 1st half is an isekai set in WWII, and the 2nd half is pure drama. Not something you watch everyday.

Fate/Zero: unlike Fate/Stay Night, Fate/Zero truly focuses on its battle royale setting

Cupid's Chocolate: maybe not a classic series overall, but definitely a classic among harems. Really likeable characters with a decent amount of depth.

I would put Jojo, but it had adaptations before 2010.
May 23, 2019 11:15 AM

Oct 2013
deg said:
keragamming said:

Well, the manga is and the devil cry baby anime isn't even close to mainstream.
May 23, 2019 11:19 AM

Apr 2017
operationvalkyri said:

Fate/Zero
A modern tragedy.

I absolutely love how that sounds! Could you please develop this idea.

『 The truth has power because it’s the truth.
And because it is the truth, that makes it just.
It’s persuasive, isn’t it? Don’t you want truth like that? 』

May 23, 2019 11:21 AM

Jan 2009
keragamming said:
deg said:

Well, the manga is and the devil cry baby anime isn't even close to mainstream.

its just a prediction of mine, for example Gundam when it first came out flops i heard but years/decades later it started going mainstream
May 23, 2019 11:46 AM
Jul 2018
Kuraya said:
operationvalkyri said:

Fate/Zero
A modern tragedy.

I absolutely love how that sounds! Could you please develop this idea.

As much as I'd liked to claim credit for the term, I was primarily inspired by this video:

https://youtu.be/61Kh28P2Pgk
May 23, 2019 12:10 PM

Apr 2010
Didn't watch, but maybe your lie in April. Goddammit, people talk about this too much.

Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» What is your opinion on anime becoming mainstream?

BroDa2545 - 12 minutes ago

5 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
2 minutes ago

» What anime do you refuse to watch since you have already read the source material?

Kushna - 7 hours ago

16 by Lucifrost »»
3 minutes ago

Poll: » Which one do you prefer?

MillerEvans23 - 51 minutes ago

6 by palm-tree »»
6 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9039 by Kenny_Stryker »»
8 minutes ago

» What percentage of anime that you've seen did you pirate? ( 1 2 3 )

Ejrodiew - Apr 13

130 by BilboBaggins365 »»
13 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.