Forum Settings
Forums

Bad anime you watched out of morbid curiosity?

New
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »
May 20, 2019 1:17 PM

May 2018
Evil or Live. I normally avoid anime with dumb premises (And I mean "dumb" in a bad way) but this was too absurd for me to avoid, so I wanted to watch it just to kind of enjoy it ironically. I laughed at the unintentional comedy, but the comedy that was supposed to be funny was painfully the opposite. The animation is abysmal, the lip syncing is some of the worst I've ever seen, and the characters all suck.
May 20, 2019 1:26 PM

Jul 2007
jal90 said:
EndlessMaria said:

Would you mind explaining your thoughts and reasoning?

Well, edgy as a negative term means trying to appear more adult or more mature with tactics that appear juvenile and try to generate a shock effect in the viewer. I see none of that intent in Midori. Midori from the beginning is aesthetically ugly, unpleasant, and entirely defined by the intent of causing an unpleasant feeling in the viewer. There is no pretension to appear more mature or cooler, it's just ugly and nasty and it tries to appear as such to the viewer, like gore movies do.

Ah, I think I am beginning to understand what edgy means now. Thank you for enlightening me! I'm almost 30 and not very social so a lot of these newer terms slip by me if i'm not paying attention xD

I think "edgy" is kinda similar to what used to be called "grimdark"
☆☆☆
"There's a huge difference between one and infinity.
However, compared to the difference between
existence and non-existence, one and infinite are
nearly the same. I am the child destined to become
the best witch... no... The greatest Creator in the world...!"
-Maria Ushiromiya
☆☆☆

May 20, 2019 2:04 PM

Dec 2012
Well, I've watched Odin: Starlight Mutiny, Inferno Cop, and one of the films by that wacky Japanese, Happy science/religion cult for laughs. Odin actually has some pretty awesome music but was pretty terrible in terms of everything else, inferno Cop was pretty hilarious, and Laws of Eternity was just....strange.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 20, 2019 3:10 PM

Mar 2019
OneNaughtyBear said:
Gyo. It has a score of 5.57 right now, and around the time I watched it I'm pretty sure it had a score in the low-mid 6 range which just goes to show that the score has gotten progressively worse. It's definitely the worst anime I've ever seen and even fapping would be a better use of time than watching it

Who says fapping is a bad use of time?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2019 3:14 PM

Mar 2019
DiverseUse said:
EndlessMaria said:

The Monogatari series is highly regarded yet I didn't enjoy it either. I watched a few of the seasons with my boyfriend at the time since he was really into it, but I didn't care for it. I just didn't really like any of the characters lol.

I felt the same way about Code Geass. A friend of mine warned me that it was one of the worst anime she'd ever seen, so when I saw that it's one of the most highly rated shows here on MAL, I got so curious I had to watch it. And damn, I hated it. It fell into that fatal zone where a show is too entertaining to drop but so stupid it makes me want to headdesk all the time. I even ended up watching the second season, which was even worse than the first.

I don't see how anyone could say that Code Geass is "terrible." I mean, I suppose I could try and see somebody thinking its overrated or mediocre even though I definitely don't feel that way but how can you say its terrible?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 20, 2019 3:15 PM

Jul 2013
Sin: Nanatsu no Taizai: I came there for the tits and got what expected. Only problem is that... Well everything else was bland. The Art and characters really didn't do it for me.

May 20, 2019 3:17 PM

Mar 2019
I guess Hellsing for me kind of falls into this category given that the anime felt like it was mostly just edgy for the sake of being edgy by showing obscene amounts of blood and gore. The story wasn't really all that well written, I liked it decent enough, but I wouldn't want to watch Hellsing go on for several seasons.
May 20, 2019 3:26 PM

Aug 2018
Ousama game, that was a pretty shitty show that I couldn't let go... it never stopped surprising me with it's shit... NEVER... even the last seconds were a disaster...
May 20, 2019 3:28 PM

May 2015
rumbling hearts and oh boy did i regret it. big waste of time lol
My Candies:
May 20, 2019 3:29 PM

Dec 2013
Holy Knight was so bad it felt like a parody, so I had pretty good time. I watched Vampire Holmes with similar motives, but it turned out to be just extremely bad rather than entertaining.
May 20, 2019 3:33 PM

Jul 2016
Mars of Destruction

Skelter Heaven

Probably School Days in the future
May 20, 2019 4:01 PM

Oct 2010
EndlessMaria said:
jal90 said:

Well, edgy as a negative term means trying to appear more adult or more mature with tactics that appear juvenile and try to generate a shock effect in the viewer. I see none of that intent in Midori. Midori from the beginning is aesthetically ugly, unpleasant, and entirely defined by the intent of causing an unpleasant feeling in the viewer. There is no pretension to appear more mature or cooler, it's just ugly and nasty and it tries to appear as such to the viewer, like gore movies do.

Ah, I think I am beginning to understand what edgy means now. Thank you for enlightening me! I'm almost 30 and not very social so a lot of these newer terms slip by me if i'm not paying attention xD

I think "edgy" is kinda similar to what used to be called "grimdark"

Don't worry! I am not explaining myself very well either but basically I think "edgy" is more of an attitude towards the audience, like a pose, that I just don't find in Midori. But maybe I'm not getting the definition right, it just doesn't feel appropriate to me personally.
May 20, 2019 5:03 PM

Mar 2017
I had a pretty good idea that Iya na Kao sare nagara Opantsu Misete Moraitai was going to be trashy before I started watching it. I wasn't disappointed.

As far as anime that others rate favorably but didn't work for me, top of the heap is Teasing Master Takagi-san, which I couldn't finish because it was too painful to watch. Others I didn't care for on the whole include B-Gata H-Kei, FLCL, and Shuffle! (but I was able to finish all of those).
A møøse once bit my sister...
May 20, 2019 5:43 PM

Jan 2013
Even though I don't believe in spending a second watching something I don't like I still forced myself to finish Mahoutsukai no Yome. That show had some great world-building and always seemed like it was on the cusp of getting better. But then it just never did.
May 20, 2019 5:44 PM

Feb 2019
In Another World With My Smartphone. I had to see what all the commotion was about, and pretty much got what I expected. I've done this with so many Anime, but mainly with the isekai Genre. At least those Isekai anime albeit shitty it's still enjoyable but In Another World With My Smartphone was just mediocre and a snoozefest

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 20, 2019 5:51 PM
Nov 2016
I watched Mayoiga fully knowing it was hot garbage, and I got more enjoyment in watching that trainwreck than I did with just an average anime.

watching so bad it's good anime > watching mediocre anime

May 20, 2019 6:01 PM
Jul 2018
watched plenty of those..

Just recently on a bus ride I watched a bunch of Street Fighter II V just cuz it's SF and some of the characters looked alright. Then after the trip I completed it. Wasn't as bad as I thought it'd be apart from the later episodes which sucked and dragged.
May 20, 2019 8:21 PM

Apr 2015
Blood C, what an edgy anime and waste of time.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
May 20, 2019 8:40 PM

Feb 2014
Diabolik Lovers. It looked terrible, and got bad reviews. But it was short so I figured, what the hell...
I highly regret it to this day
“The reasoning man who scorns the prejudices of simpletons necessarily becomes the enemy of simpletons; he must expect as much, and laugh at the inevitable.”

May 20, 2019 8:49 PM

Sep 2018
Oreimo, this constant violent tsundere bullshit in the anime is ridiculous, this coming from somebody who has a younger sister. I'd have definitely kicked her arse by now.
May 20, 2019 9:14 PM
May 2019
The unholy Mars of Destruction and Tenkuu Danzato Skelter Heaven. I regret my life decisions.
May 20, 2019 9:22 PM

Jun 2016
School Days
Killing Bites

both were fucking terrible
May 21, 2019 12:11 AM
May 2017
GoofballPath53 said:
Sword Oratoria. While Danmachi wasn’t great but at least fun, Sowrd Oratoria was boring as all hell and utter shit.

yeah, JC Staff really failed at adapting that into an anime. which is a shame, because, from what i've heard, many people prefer Sword Oratoria more than the main series, since it is more grounded

on topic: i'm considering watching Fairy Tail just to see how bad it is
May 21, 2019 1:33 AM

Mar 2016
Much of my bottom list: Pupa, Conception, Hametsu no Mars, Tenshi no Drop, Hand Shakers, Goblin Slayer, Ragnastrike Angels, Sleeping with Hinako, Ore ga Suki nano wa Imouto dakedo Imouto ja Nai. List is, more or less, in ascending order of quality.
May 21, 2019 1:59 AM
Aug 2015
For me it was FlCl and SnK. The first one was nothing more but glorified AMV that made little to no sense plot-wise, and as for the second one, edgefest and elitist fanbase that spammed it everywhere they could back in the day (spoilers included) made me drop it somewhere around the first half of season 1, and ever since then nothing convinced me to go back and finish it.
May 21, 2019 2:25 AM

May 2018
Some titles from me:

Salaryman Kintarou - a demonstration of everything wrong with seinen also a horrible production.
Youma
Shuranosuke Zanmaken: Shikamamon no Otoko
Hidan no Aria
Arad Senki: Slap Up Party - actually a korean low budget production but released by Gonzo (before it went for bankruptcy).
Sin: The Movie
Bokusatsu Tenshi Dokuro-chan
Yumeria
Island
alshuMay 21, 2019 2:32 AM
May 21, 2019 2:31 AM

Nov 2017
Does Eromanga Sensei Count? Besides that, I'd say SAO. There were just far too many references to it for me to ignore it so I got a tall glass of Daniels and got it over with. Apart from the alfeim arc it wasn't too bad.
It's not like I like anime or anything.

May 21, 2019 2:44 AM

Jan 2017
Diabolik Lovers.
I kept hearing about it either through memes or from people who genuinely liked the anime. I'm a sucker for reverse harems so I wanted to give it a shot but it was downright awful. This is how NOT to make a visual novel into an anime.

im weeb trash

May 21, 2019 2:56 AM

Apr 2011
Brain Powerd.
I loved the concept and the design, but the script was wack, as in the things the characters said and their reactions to some stuff felt like a drug trip sometimes...
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
May 21, 2019 3:02 AM

Dec 2017
School Days
Akame Ga Kill
Butlers: Chitose Momotose Monogatari
Saredo Tsumibito wa Ryuu to Odoru

Basically the animes that I gave a negative score
May 21, 2019 3:04 AM

Aug 2016
Pupa lol and I've actually seen it twice now because I got some of my friends to watch it. It really is funny just how bad it is. but it's nice that it's only like 30 minutes long in its entirety.
May 21, 2019 5:09 AM

Jan 2019
I watched Higurashi out of actual morbid curiosity, I wanted to see the apparently infamous gore scenes but I dropped it three episodes in just because of how hilariously bad it was.

Maybe I haven't seen enough to "get it" but this is one of the highly rated anime on this site that I just don't understand the praise for at all. A lot of the positive reviews just seem to really overrate the show for its shock value.
May 21, 2019 5:16 AM

Apr 2017
I'm pretty sure that SAO is recognized as a bad anime. So yeah that one. Now is one of my favorite anime tho lmao
May 21, 2019 5:18 AM

Apr 2017
HohoVFX said:
I watched Higurashi out of actual morbid curiosity, I wanted to see the apparently infamous gore scenes but I dropped it three episodes in just because of how hilariously bad it was.

Maybe I haven't seen enough to "get it" but this is one of the highly rated anime on this site that I just don't understand the praise for at all. A lot of the positive reviews just seem to really overrate the show for its shock value.

Just finished yesterday, and even if I LOVED the first season, the second one imho was really a disappointment for me...
May 21, 2019 5:29 AM

Jan 2017
If it counts as bad, then Darling in the FranXX and Eromanga-sensei.

DitF - was actually pretty decent until last 7-8 episodes came, and then I understood all the hate.

Eromanga-sensei - I have no problem with incest and underaged characters, it had some funny moments, but except that few funny moments, everything else was just poor. Shame that the two best girls had the least of screen time. I don't think of it as a horrible show, just a poor one.
May 21, 2019 6:20 AM
Jul 2018

Ebichu, Kokoro Library and Bottle Fairy
Kokoro library was so bad that it prevented me from watching rod tv for years because it was by the same director. Fortunately it proved wrong
AngelicTotoro said:
Brain Powerd.
I loved the concept and the design, but the script was wack, as in the things the characters said and their reactions to some stuff felt like a drug trip sometimes...

Series was supposed to be Tomino's answer to Evangelion, but I found it even more depressing
May 21, 2019 6:57 AM

Apr 2017
I watch/read lots of bottom-of-the-barrel trash in the hopes of finding something funny, bizarre or shocking. I guess that's why I'm such a stable individual.
May 21, 2019 7:09 AM

Oct 2017
surprised at all of the monogatari posts
May 21, 2019 7:16 AM
Jul 2018
EndlessMaria said:
I just watched Shoujo Tsubaki Midori, and just what the fuck lol. I honestly don't like the term "edgy" as it gets thrown around way too much, however this anime was just fucking 40 minutes of edgy smut lmao. It was really just a terrible anime since it has like nearly zero animation and was basically a slideshow with sounds and voices seemingly slapped on as an after thought, and the writing was barely a tangible thing; however it was such a messed up train wreck that I found myself drawn to watch it all the way though just to experience the depths of depravity that are rarely ventured.

I considered writing a review for it but I wont bother so this thread will do.

What anime have you folks watched out of morbid curiosity despite being put off by various aspects of the show?

Zero animation doesn't bother me in such anime, because I really like Yami Shibai, but now... Now, you are not the only one, who watched it out of morbid curiousity...
I can't decide, if the 8-10s reviews are trolls or serious. Maybe they fell for "it's bizarre and disturbing, so it must be deep."

The last one, before that atrocity, was Gyo for me. That also gave me the "enough internet for today"-feeling. Although I liked the few manga I read from Ito Junji, but that movie was on a different level, oh boi.
May 21, 2019 8:04 AM
Jan 2019
Attack on Titan. I knew that it would just be mainstream garbage from the start, just wanted to see why so many fake anime fans liked it. In the end it turned out to be complete shit as I expected.

Overlord: Awful writing, bad characters, and awful animation/CG. This just shows that anyone that hypes up new and garbage anime are fake anime fans and frauds. Overlord is one of the worst anime I've ever watched in my life.
May 21, 2019 8:11 AM

Jan 2018
EndlessMaria said:
I just watched Shoujo Tsubaki Midori, and just what the fuck lol. I honestly don't like the term "edgy" as it gets thrown around way too much, however this anime was just fucking 40 minutes of edgy smut lmao. It was really just a terrible anime since it has like nearly zero animation and was basically a slideshow with sounds and voices seemingly slapped on as an after thought, and the writing was barely a tangible thing; however it was such a messed up train wreck that I found myself drawn to watch it all the way though just to experience the depths of depravity that are rarely ventured.

I considered writing a review for it but I wont bother so this thread will do.

What anime have you folks watched out of morbid curiosity despite being put off by various aspects of the show?

Domestic Girlfriend is the greatest dumpster fire/car crash I've ever seen... and damn when there's a big dumpster fire/car crash like this, it's really hard to not try to look at it

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 21, 2019 8:55 AM
Jul 2018
Steiner1411 said:
MadHobbit2 said:
Aku no Hana. I heard it was awful in every respect (quite unlike the manga), but I ended up enjoying it nevertheless. The rotoscoping didn't bother me too much; in fact I feel like the unsettling, off-putting nature of the animation complimented the themes of the story well and added to the bleak, disturbed vibe all the characters exuded in their personalities.

The ending ruined the anime for me lol , but before that it was amazing, heck I even got scared at some moments :P

The manga goes much further than the anime (obviously) and provides a much more satisfying ending. You should read it.
May 21, 2019 11:22 AM
Jul 2018
Miss Kobayashi's Dragon Maid. I honestly thought it was going to be better but it was so weird and confusing. I only made it through 3 episodes.
May 21, 2019 11:31 AM
Jul 2018
A lot of stuff. More so the story line.
May 21, 2019 3:50 PM

Oct 2008
Keijo
Shingeki! Kyojin Chuugakkou
Pop team epic - didn't finish it though

Yeah and my regret will haunt me for the foreseeable future because of it.
May 21, 2019 4:54 PM

Sep 2018
Me and my friends thought it would be hilarious to watch boku no pico when we were 12
the urban legend itself
May 21, 2019 5:06 PM

Sep 2014
definitely Mars of Destruction. And well it didnt disappoint. Or rather yes it did. Its just bad.

Sort of Tokyo Ghoul Re, but I dropped that at some point.

Its funny though how many people here comment with good or very good (going by MAL) anime and try to be edgy with it.
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 21, 2019 6:17 PM

Aug 2016
I watched Conception expecting it to be utter dogshit, but ended up kinda enjoying it.
People who put MAL stats in their sigs are losers lol
May 21, 2019 6:36 PM

Nov 2013
EndlessMaria said:
mid It was really just a terrible anime since it has like nearly zero animation and was basically a slideshow with sounds and voices seemingly slapped on as an after thought

Not that I'm defending it's content because it's really hard to get through, but the fact that Shoujo Tsubaki Midori even exists is kind of incredible. Hiroshi Harada drew the entire thing by himself over many years with 0 sponsors. The animation is NOT terrible when you look at it in that light.
May 21, 2019 6:59 PM
Jul 2018
I heard a lot of bad things about Sora to Umi no Aida/Between the Sky and Sea so I decided to check it out to see if it was honestly that bad.

It was fine. It had a lot of problems with the world, story and characters, but it wasn't as bad as I was lead to believe.
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» What are your thoughts on harem anime?

BuddhaIsBetter - Today

48 by traed »»
2 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 12 hours ago

39 by ETHANDARYL420 »»
6 minutes ago

» ❄️ Anime Winter 2024 Male Characters Tournament ( 1 2 )

ISeeLifePeople - Apr 14

84 by TitanOfPlasma »»
14 minutes ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 10 hours ago

12 by traed »»
21 minutes ago

» Muskoku Tensei is the antithesis of Evangelion ( 1 2 )

ShuisBased2 - Jan 15

67 by Stygian_Prisoner »»
25 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.