Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
May 12, 2019 4:16 PM

Mar 2019
vvvwwi said:
Giulia14 said:

Funny that i responded the Kurapika thing already but it seems you didn't read properly. Is Sharingan a "rip-off"? YES. But didn't you say Meruem was an homage to Cell?. Is Sasuke as a characters a rip-off? NO, their ideologies and personalities are different, Sasuke has more screentime in Shippuden and is more relevant to the story. A killed family is common in japanese mythology and so is Revenge. Eren's family was killed and he wants Revenge, is he a rip-off of Kurapika? Duh.

Sasuke rip-off of Killua? Eh? Just because he is a FRIEND of the protagoist? A protagonist having friends is copy? Their frienshipa are totally different, Sasuke is an antagonist most of the time, Killua is a co-protagonist. And also the dynamics Sasuke-Itachi and Killua-Illumi are different. Illumi is evil, Itachi isn't really. Did Illumi kill the Zoldyck? No. Itachi did. Their powers are different, the ways they influnce their stories are different.

Ahahahahaahha YOU should reread or re-watch Naruto. Chidori appeared in the fucking FIRST ARC. Kakashi used it to kill Zabuza (Haku). Minute 6.20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWJ_8dp9wVE
All of this was BEFORE Killua's ability appeared. Guess Togashi copied??? Lol. There is no speed boost with Chidori. It requires the user to move at high speeds to make the best use of the technique.That normally means moving at top speed. Most can't handle that speed due to the tunnel vision effect. (Btw it's natural for a lightning to have speed, but ok).
And again lightning power is NOT copy, it's a common power and it's narutal for the series to have this power since CHAKRA is the power system.

I knew you were referring to Hashirama technique. What i said is: the concept of Buddha fighting with his thoudand hands is an image taken from japanese martial arts. And in that video it showed, Chiriku was a monkey and used a technique with thoudans hands. Netero was kinda a monkey and he used this technique too. This is japanese culture.

I never said that the test wasn't copied (you could call it "homage" or "reference", right?

Why Naruto fans are so ignorant?
Raikiri appeared in the first arc, not Chridori.
And no, it gives speed boost to it's user, proof:

https://narutoversity.wordpress.com/2015/05/25/chidori-and-raikiri/

"The story of Chidori/Raikiri is based on the story of Tachibana Dōsetsu, a Japanese samurai:
Dōsetsu was in possession of a famous sword called Chidori. One day, while he was still a young man, he was taking shelter under a tree, as it was raining. Suddenly, a bolt of lightning struck him. However, Dōsetsu used his Chidori to cut the Thunder God inside the lightning bolt, allowing him to survive. After this incident, he renamed his Chidori to Raikiri.
Like the jutsu, the sword itself was unchanged but gained a new name."

I don't get it, is really the speed your problem(? There is no really much difference between the two techniques, Raikiri is just an advanced form of Chidori but they both use fucking lightnings. You said that Chidori appeared in volume 13, chapter 113 right? Well, Kanmuru (the Godspeed itself) was used for the first time in episode 101, or chapter 238, so Chidori still came first lmao

And again, can't really see how can a lightning power be copied since it's the most basic power ever, but still
May 12, 2019 4:48 PM

May 2018
Isn't this more on the side of future fantasy than science fiction? Just a thought.

I read both the preview and the first chapter and story-wise, it seems to lack a certain "oomf" for some reason. And the story elements seem rather loose and I suppose, expects readers to just take what's thrown at them at face value.

How did the manekineko Daruma make the game? He doesn't seem like the programmer type.

Also how does Hachimaru automatically know how to fight? You could argue it's from him playing virtual games all the time but from the way he worded it to his dad, this game is something he picked up recently.

I just felt like everything was too convenient for the plot.

Maybe the author didn't feel like spending too much time fleshing out how he became a samurai and just wanted to jump to that point already so he packed it all in to one chapter. So next chapter, I expect them to just go ahead and proceed with his samurai adventures going forward which is a shame as I wanted a more smooth transition rather than the "oops he's now a samurai who's actually competent" trope.
May 12, 2019 5:01 PM

Feb 2013
Slimcoder said:
Jesus Christ this thread.

Only one chapter of a pretty decent start & we already got all this toxicity going on.

Man its just so disgusting & disappointing.

That's mal and the internet for you
May 12, 2019 7:24 PM

Feb 2019
vvvwwi said:
Giulia14 said:

Funny that i responded the Kurapika thing already but it seems you didn't read properly. Is Sharingan a "rip-off"? YES. But didn't you say Meruem was an homage to Cell?. Is Sasuke as a characters a rip-off? NO, their ideologies and personalities are different, Sasuke has more screentime in Shippuden and is more relevant to the story. A killed family is common in japanese mythology and so is Revenge. Eren's family was killed and he wants Revenge, is he a rip-off of Kurapika? Duh.

Sasuke rip-off of Killua? Eh? Just because he is a FRIEND of the protagoist? A protagonist having friends is copy? Their frienshipa are totally different, Sasuke is an antagonist most of the time, Killua is a co-protagonist. And also the dynamics Sasuke-Itachi and Killua-Illumi are different. Illumi is evil, Itachi isn't really. Did Illumi kill the Zoldyck? No. Itachi did. Their powers are different, the ways they influnce their stories are different.

Ahahahahaahha YOU should reread or re-watch Naruto. Chidori appeared in the fucking FIRST ARC. Kakashi used it to kill Zabuza (Haku). Minute 6.20 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWJ_8dp9wVE
All of this was BEFORE Killua's ability appeared. Guess Togashi copied??? Lol. There is no speed boost with Chidori. It requires the user to move at high speeds to make the best use of the technique.That normally means moving at top speed. Most can't handle that speed due to the tunnel vision effect. (Btw it's natural for a lightning to have speed, but ok).
And again lightning power is NOT copy, it's a common power and it's narutal for the series to have this power since CHAKRA is the power system.

I knew you were referring to Hashirama technique. What i said is: the concept of Buddha fighting with his thoudand hands is an image taken from japanese martial arts. And in that video it showed, Chiriku was a monkey and used a technique with thoudans hands. Netero was kinda a monkey and he used this technique too. This is japanese culture.

I never said that the test wasn't copied (you could call it "homage" or "reference", right?

Why Naruto fans are so ignorant?
Raikiri appeared in the first arc, not Chridori.
And no, it gives speed boost to it's user, proof:

Err... nope. Chidori is a change of chakra's nature with a little change in form, so it loses power or impact when the user uses it. To compensate that, the user needs to add speed to the technique to draw out more power. In Gai's words, to create a powerful thrust combining speed to the technique. Kakashi had to train Sasuke's Taijutsu intensely for 1 month for Sasuke to use Chidori properly. In other words, the technique doesn't add speed on the user, the user needs to add speed on the technique for the technique to work properly. That's the complete opposite of Killua's Hatsu.

I think the technique you're looking for that is similar to Killua's Godspeed is the 4th Raikage's Lightning Release Chakra Mode.

Ah, I forgot about Raikiri. Raikiri is a technique that combines a change in chakra's form (more than Chidori) and nature, so it doesn't need too much speed. Kakashi created the technique because Minato warned him about the disadvantages of the Chidori.
cross3773May 12, 2019 7:47 PM
May 12, 2019 8:09 PM

Nov 2018
Super solid for me, reminded me of Edens Zero with the space theme and the "follow-up series after legendary megahit" vibe. The art and panels were a mess but hopefully Okubo will get a better grip with more practice. I saw some Naruto clones so I felt at home. Welcome back Kishi, it's better when he's around.
May 12, 2019 8:12 PM
Aug 2013
vvvwwi said:
Giulia14 said:

Hilarious you complain about Kishimoto "copying" Togashi, since Togashi did the same with Toriyama (kid Goku=Gon) LMAO

You also forgot Meruem = Cell
There's a difference beetwen homage / reference and stealing literally everything. Sharingan, Sasuke's character, Itachi, Chakra nature test, Chuunin Exam, Chidori, True Several Thousand Hands Jutsu, Orochimaru, Akatuski.
This is disgusting

I am not going to list every single bias you have, though just for the sake of the argument I'll have you know that, for example, Kishimoto didn't even want to make a tournament arc and was heavily pressed by Jump. He wanted Team 7 to travel to foreign countries just like they did with their first relevant mission in the Land of Waves.

About the rest, I think you can easily figure out the differences between them.
-----------------------------------------

Anyway, I am a bit disappointed. I didn't expect much, but I really didn't feel invested in it. Yeah, Hachimaru's relationship with his father was fine yet so predictable that it didn't really struck me. The other characters were pretty useless, which is something unacceptable within 71 pages. I didn't enjoy the art either though it nostalgically reminded me some of the drawings during the War Arc of Naruto. I am obviously looking forward for the next chapters, hopefully it will improve.

By the way, no female characters it seems. I mean, I'd rather not have them in the first place than having them just for the sake of being totally worthless like they were in Naruto. They actually mentioned some princesses, though, so it scares the shit out of me that maybe we'll get to see once again females who desperately need to be saved by the strong-willed men... Perish the thought.
May 12, 2019 9:27 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
I don’t hate it. But I am kinda disappointed in the premise in general. I feel like Kishi as a writer is going to have a Kubo and Mashima problem rather then grow and change as Togashi did.

Every one is very enamored by the world building and for some people that can carry a show but for me the characters have to shine immediately; I’ll give it an arc to see if it grows on me, I want to be wrong.

Also since Kishi isn’t drawing this I was hoping it’d have a little more flavor. It’s not bad but it feels very blank; not enough shades or line widths to change it up. And since Ookubo is basically imitating his mentors style down to a fault it gets a little lost.

I get WSJ wants this to be the return of a star aka an epic reprise almost like what happened with HxH but this manga is gonna have to have some seriously strong writing in the vein on Dr. Stone cause this is not marketable in a merchandising kind of way.
May 13, 2019 1:05 AM

Jan 2018
A pretty interesting first chapter. It feels kind of weird being someone who has never watched/read Naruto and seeing the majority of people in this thread compare it to Naruto lol. But either way I am excited to see where this story will go and I hope it will be around for a while.
May 13, 2019 5:09 AM

Jan 2016
euujin said:
as much as i liked the chapter, art gave me dgm vibes in that the character art blends in with the background during fights. other than that, excellent work to both kishi and okubo for their debut.
Didn't notice that, but now that you write about it, being a fan of both D.Gray-Man and Naruto, I'm pretty optimistic! ^^
May 13, 2019 6:22 AM
Feb 2019
as someone who is disabled and chronically ill (I require being hooked up to machines every day to stay alive as Hachimaru did in the beginning), I was really excited to see a new series with a disabled and ill protagonist, especially from someone as big as Kishimoto. however, I'm disappointed that they made him able-bodied so quickly. I knew they would do something to allow him to become a samurai, but they did not have to do it all within the first chapter. I also think they could have done something to allow him to keep some sense of being disabled or ill because being disabled and sick isn't a bad thing.

otherwise, I like the art and I think the world seems interesting, so I'm waiting for the next chapter and I'll keep reading it.
May 13, 2019 7:58 AM

Mar 2015
savecarmilla said:
as someone who is disabled and chronically ill (I require being hooked up to machines every day to stay alive as Hachimaru did in the beginning), I was really excited to see a new series with a disabled and ill protagonist, especially from someone as big as Kishimoto. however, I'm disappointed that they made him able-bodied so quickly. I knew they would do something to allow him to become a samurai, but they did not have to do it all within the first chapter. I also think they could have done something to allow him to keep some sense of being disabled or ill because being disabled and sick isn't a bad thing.

otherwise, I like the art and I think the world seems interesting, so I'm waiting for the next chapter and I'll keep reading it.

You should absolutely read Steel Ball Run.
May 13, 2019 8:02 AM
Feb 2019
BliuBliu said:
savecarmilla said:

You should absolutely read Steel Ball Run.

thank you for the recommendation! I just read the synopsis and I will definitely check it out soon.
May 13, 2019 9:22 AM

Nov 2013
Very cheesy but it's okay?
May 13, 2019 10:47 AM
Aug 2018
Waited for the official release since manga scanlations tend to diminish the quality of the artwork.

Durning the promotion for this series, Kishimoto made a big deal about trying to create a relatable MC with a frail body and sickly disposition but that all seems to have been completely undone and in just the first chapter. He just gets a new body rather than becoming strong despite his disability similar to Toph from Avatar or Zatoichi, I guess Kishi figured Hachimaru’s particular disability would be too much trouble to write around for a battle shonen. Well atleast there’s Daruma.

Though he seems to have gone too far in the other direction since Hachimaru appears to be nigh invulnerable, in just this chapter three times someone loses their hand (four if you include the video game) and it isn’t really a big deal they just grow a new one, quite similar to Bleach in that regard. Hell even the dog was brought back even better after being crushed. Since his father seems to be a regular human, tension could still be devised from trying to keep him safe, just like in this chapter, a reversal of that trope of a father/parental figure travelling with a child while trying to keep them safe, as seen in The Last of Us, Logan, God of War 2018 etc. As well as a role reversal of the dynamic of Hachimaru and his father up until this point. Kishi did say he was going for a father and son theme with this series.

Powered up into a cyborg samurai by killing himself that’s pretty metal but also kind of a questionable thing to include considering this manga’s intended demographic. That along with the samurai using their souls as their weapons seem to be literal takes on old quotes “the Way of the Samurai is found in death” - Yamamoto Tsunetomo and Tokugawa Ieyasu's remark that the sword was the "soul of the samurai".

I like how even though Hachimaru is presented as sympathetic because of his ailment. Kishi isn’t afraid to make him kind of bratty. Makes sense that a kid that has been dealt a bad hand in life would have some pent up anger and would be impatient to leave the house that he’s basically chained to like a dog, as the chapter points out.

The world looks to be quite fun, I like the fusion of archaic samurai values/ideals and the futuristic technology. Despite the science fiction label it appears to be more of a science fantasy with it including a deity like Fudo Myo-o also the kind of out of place element of Greek mythology Pandora’s box not that I’m complaining. Even though I’m loving the design aesthetic of this setting, the pieces of armour floating around the samurai like a lava lamp makes the character designs a bit too busy, especially against background which also has lots of little details.

Kind of bummed out that the antagonist of this chapter died, really liked his design especially when he pulled out his samurai armour. Not really sure how he got defeated so easily though, Daruma knocked him off his ride and out of his armoured form and Hachimaru was able to defeat him with his cane? Maybe Samurai aren’t that OP. Regardless I like how Hachimaru used that retractable cane his father gave him to win the battle, a nice little chekhov's gun moment.
May 13, 2019 11:09 AM

Nov 2012
I loved the art and the character designs. I also think this series has huge potential for World Building just like Naruto did.

Very much looking forward to the next chapter and what Kishi does next, glad to see him working on a new manga so soon even if he isn't doing the art. I think the artist for this series has clearly been able to grasp the style for the series that Kishimoto must of wanted to go for. Look forward to more from him after this series as well.

A very impressive start for this series IMO, and the poll on this thread seems to echo that statement!
I have a third testicle that gives me psychic powers
May 13, 2019 1:11 PM

Mar 2018
It was ok wouldnt say it was a good chapter but an interesting start. The art looks good even tho it is a downgrade from Kishimoto’s other works but still and the story can definitely go somewhere but some of the dialogue should have been left out imo. Overall a decent start and i hope the writing doesn’t end up like in naruto.
May 13, 2019 1:32 PM

Sep 2011
pretty fun start and the main character has a nice little crutch behind him to make you kind of root for him, making him have a disability that kept him trapped in his room his whole life is a nice way of making you excited to see him finally get to explore the world and since the setting seems pretty creative thats a good way of excusing the inevitable infodumps and exposition.

Naruto definitely turned into a seires I really cant say was anything above a bad manga by the end, it pretty much butchered most the characters and early highs it had with questionable writing decisions and conflicts, and while that definetly weighs heavilly on my expectations of what to expect from this manga I at least want to give kishimoto another chance that he might be able to recapture that style of storytelling that made naruto so enjoyable in its early years, I'm sure its gonna be endlessly compared to this new series (if it lasts there is kind of a stigma of never getting 2 hits in a row in jump) but im glad it at least so far has seperated itself massively from naruto in terms of setting and characters

My only big complaint it this manga needs more shading in the action scenes cause the bubbly effect kind of caused everything to get lost in a jumble of shapes for me, granted i was reading on my phone but still i dont have that issue with other series i read on the phone.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

May 13, 2019 1:46 PM
Jan 2016
Why is it 'unpublished' and mal won't let you log the chapter tho? Is it an unofficial release or something?
May 13, 2019 6:55 PM

Jun 2015
Guysss..... Wheereeee tooo reeeaaadd? Is it unofficial release or just leaks you were talking about?
May 13, 2019 7:05 PM

Jan 2009
YosepYRA said:
Guysss..... Wheereeee tooo reeeaaadd? Is it unofficial release or just leaks you were talking about?

here, i recommend you read from the official ones listed on that thread https://www.reddit.com/r/Samurai8/comments/bmt5en/disc_samurai_8_the_tale_of_hachimaru_ch_1/
May 13, 2019 7:45 PM

Nov 2012
YosepYRA said:

RoadToSenpai said:
Why is it 'unpublished' and mal won't let you log the chapter tho? Is it an unofficial release or something?

Chapter 1 and the prelude are both free to view chapters I think ,I would recommend to use the official Shonen Jump app like I did.
May 13, 2019 11:52 PM

Jan 2009
found this interesting

official FREE digital manga release vs illegal scanlation manga release https://www.reddit.com/r/Samurai8/comments/bo53pw/viz_vs_jaiminisbox_quality/

the official digital release have more shading (obviously because its not from a scanner lol) so im gonna re-read this, and for those that think the art is confusing because of lack of shading then try reading the official digital release too

May 14, 2019 4:30 AM
Jul 2018
It was ok, nothing spectacular.

Paneling and art was a mess but still understandable, there were too many things that just doesn't make sense, but I'll let it slide for now.

Kinda wished we would have a disabled protagonist, but at the end he became a 'chosen one', kind of disappointed there
May 14, 2019 6:33 AM

Oct 2012
How to publish a succesful manga

1. Get a decent artist
2. Rip off star wars changing some stuff
3. Add a big name to the credits
4. ???
5. Profit

I already feel this is overrated, the story was Ok at most, I felt like kishimoto was watching starwars and mixed some naruto on it and came up with this, the art is good but confusing at parts, the panneling is awful... and yet, i hear nothing but praise for this manga.

i just hope that this crap doesnt cause "chainsawman"'s or "The last Sayuki"'s cancellation because i would be really upset.

this is Boruto and Dragon Ball super all over again, crap manga that succedes just because the kishimoto or toriyama names are attatched to them
May 14, 2019 7:01 AM

Jun 2009
It was.... eh. I'll give it a few more chapters though.
May 14, 2019 7:34 AM

Jan 2013
Loved the abundance of details and the art.

Generic start, sure, but this series is promising.
May 14, 2019 8:48 AM

Aug 2018
I honestly had low expectations for this but I loved this first chapter so much! Can't wait to see what's coming for us in the future.
May 14, 2019 9:17 AM

Jan 2018
vvvwwi said:
JudoJD said:

Is there any battle shounen writer in shounen jump who isn't just generic cliches and copying?

Sure, people like Yoshihiro Togashi, Nobuhiro Watsuki

The former still can't finish the story due to back pain, the latter is basically japanese Jared Fogel..

Seriously, Nobuhiro is one dumbass motherfucker

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 14, 2019 9:19 AM

Jan 2018
Pretty good, but some of the exposition ain't really gettin in my head if you know wut I mean

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

May 14, 2019 11:58 AM
Dec 2018
Iruka taught me...

Not to judge people by their reputation but their personality..

Haku taught me...

That there is no good or evil when you're protecting the ones you love...

Neji taught me...

That if you leave your pride behind

You can change your destiny...

Rock Lee taught me...

That hard work beats talent...

Kakashi taught me...

That teamwork and friendship stands above rules...

Hinata taught me...

That love is worth fighting for...

Sai taught me...

That life without feelings isnt worthwhile...

Sakura taught me...

That weakness is a choice...

Gaara taught me...

How painful can loneliness can be and how love can change someone...

Nagato taught me...

That revenge and hatred leads to more revenge and hatred...

Asuma taught me...

How important to take care off the next generation...

Shikamaru taught me...

That sometimes you have to do the things that bother you...

Maito Dai taught me...

That it dosent matter what other people say about you...

Minato and Kushina taught me...

That parent's love will never end...

Maito Gai taught me...

That no matter what you always have to believe in yourself...

Sarutobi taught me...

That problems should be solved with kindness rather than violence...

Sasuke taught me...

That you shouldn't just dream about things but actually achieve them...

Itachi taught me...

That sometimes you have to make sacrifices for the greater good...

Tsunade taught me...

To never abandon the living for the death...

Jiraiya taught me...

That you must never give up your faith in humanity and your hope of piece...

Obito taught me...

That is never too late to revert to the right way...

Madara taught me...

That peace is no peace without freedom...

And Naruto

Well we all know that Naruto taught us a lot. But the most important this is: No matter what happens in your life...
May 14, 2019 12:01 PM
Dec 2018
Although HxH informed us on the terrible deeds we have committed as humans, it never came close to influencing the millions of people who watched naruto. Naruto is portrayed as this innocent and vulnerable kid who has many obstacles but never gives up. Rock Lee is the real underdog you are looking for. Kishimoto made sure to give each character their own lesson to us. I guess you already know what Lee taught us Naruto fans.
May 14, 2019 12:06 PM

May 2015
vvvwwi said:
Giulia14 said:

Hilarious you complain about Kishimoto "copying" Togashi, since Togashi did the same with Toriyama (kid Goku=Gon) LMAO

There's a difference beetwen homage / reference and stealing literally everything. Sharingan, Sasuke's character, Itachi, Chakra nature test, Chuunin Exam, Chidori, True Several Thousand Hands Jutsu, Orochimaru, Akatuski.
This is disgusting

Why the fuck are you so salty?

May 14, 2019 12:07 PM
Dec 2018
Urameshi-Kun said:

1. Get a decent artist
4. ???
5. Profit

I already feel this is overrated, the story was Ok at most, I felt like kishimoto was watching starwars and mixed some naruto on it and came up with this, the art is good but confusing at parts, the panneling is awful... and yet, i hear nothing but praise for this manga.

i just hope that this crap doesnt cause "chainsawman"'s or "The last Sayuki"'s cancellation because i would be really upset.

this is Boruto and Dragon Ball super all over again, crap manga that succedes just because the kishimoto or toriyama names are attatched to them

Lol I'm not following or subbing to your crap channel. Go fuck yourself. It's on episode one and your already complaining. Kishi isnt even drawing the manga and your being retarded. I bet your a HxH fan who sucks up to the 9 year long chimera ant arc. Children these days...
May 15, 2019 12:07 AM
we back

Aug 2015
Urameshi-Kun said:

1. Get a decent artist
4. ???
5. Profit

Jesus Christ, where to start off with this cancer. First, how is this ripping off Star Wars in anyway? Because its a Sci-fi series and the characters fight with swords? Those are literally the only similarities between the two.

Secondly, this manga has a single chapter out. It is not succeeding, nor failing. Also, have you not read this thread at all? Some people really liked it, while others had genuine criticisms about it. It isn't being met with all praise lmao.

I'm just gonna hope that your post is low tier bait and that you aren't actually being serious. Also I agree with that other guy, no one cares about your YouTube channel
May 15, 2019 4:37 AM

Sep 2017
xfinityretaile1 said:
Super solid for me, reminded me of Edens Zero with the space theme and the "follow-up series after legendary megahit" vibe. The art and panels were a mess but hopefully Okubo will get a better grip with more practice. I saw some Naruto clones so I felt at home. Welcome back Kishi, it's better when he's around.

Saaaaame I totally thought of Edens Zero!
yikes
May 15, 2019 2:32 PM

May 2019
Yeah well the manga is definitely something I will try to continue for another while, but am a little disappointed by the art. It just seemed to be a little all over the place as well as some parts of the story itself. The best way to describe it would be underwhelming, since there was no buildup whatsoever for the main dude and what not.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 15, 2019 10:03 PM
#1 Hitagi Lover

Apr 2014
Pretty good 1st chapter. I'm a sucker for anything that has to do with sci-fi so I'm very interested to see where Kishimoto takes this.
May 16, 2019 7:19 PM
Aug 2018
Giulia14 said:
vvvwwi said:
Looks like another story about "underdog" who's actually a god.
Jesus, this writing and unnatural exposition. Kishimoto never changes, i see.
Very excited to see what he stole from Togashi this time.

That is such a shitty comparison. Goku and Gon are very different characters.
May 16, 2019 11:35 PM
Jul 2014
Oussema said:
Giulia14 said:

So, you can argue that Sharingan, the test and the chuunin exams are homages / references too, right? Also, the test in Naruto just appeared in one episode and had 0 relevance. And for the record, the editors pushed Kishimoto to do a tournament arc, he didn't plan to do it, but well.

-Sasuke and Kurapika are nothing alike, their personalities and developments are different, their function as characters is different and Sasuke had way more screentime than Kurapika during the series. Literally the only similarity (besides Sharingan) is that both are obsessed with revenge for their families, but that is a common trait in japanese ancient stories and culture. Will you say that Eren is a copy of Kurapika too? I don't think so.

-Itachi: ??? i can't recall anyone in HxH who killed his own family for the sake of his village, but may be wrong.

-Chidori: this jutsu appeared in the first arc of Naruto, while Kanmuru as a technique appeared in before Greed Island and he gave Killua speed, which Chidori doesn't. But do you really think that having lightning powers is an original thing? Because the theory of Chidori as a copy is kinda dumb lol. For the record, Kishimoto didn't invent chakra narure, it already existed in japanese culture, just like the idea of fighting through the elements of water, wind, fire, earth AND lightning. And Kishimoto decided to use this power system from the beginning, even before Nen was mentioned in the manga and Killua used lightning. So tell me, HOW is this power a copy of HxH? You act like HxH invented everything lmao it's like saying that Avatar TLA copied Naruto because they used the elements to fight, LOL. It's taken from japanese mythology.

Thousand Hands Jutsu: look, Buddha fighint with his thoudans hands, ANOTHER iconic image taken from japanese martial arts ahahah. Look at minute 2:00 https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5gaCZw9K4I this happened in 2006 in Naruto manga. Netero against Meruem happened in 2008-2009 in HxH manga. Did HxH copy Naruto? NO, again this "fighting style" is iconic in japanese mythology.

Orochimaru: guess he is a copy of Hisoka(? But... No. Just no. Have you ever studied literary criticism? I did, and this superficial similarities detween characters were SO common in the classic books of the same period, that i can't believe someone thinks this is really plagiarism xD With this mindset of yours everuthing is a copy, you know?
Hisoka and Orochimaru are different characters with different POWERS and REALLY different motivations. Hisoka wants to fight against strong people for fun, because he likes to prove himself and he likes strenght per se.
Orochimaru likes strong people he wants them to serve him, wants to use them for his purposes. He wants Sasuke's body because his goal is to obtain Immortality. And he wants to be immortal because the normal duration of human life isn't enough to know EVERYTHING in the world. So Orochimaru's ultimate goal is the total knowledge of every technique. This seek of knowledge and the obsession for discover was also the purpose of many scientists in the Enlighment period. So tell me, how is Orochimaru similar to Hisoka in a non-superficial way? Maybe because both are pedophiles? C'mon.

Akatsuki: again, it would be cool if you could explain to me WHY Akatsuki is a copy of the Phantom Troupe. Because, AGAIN, the similarities are just superficial. Only similarity: both are criminal organization. How cliche. Detective Conan too has an iconic criminal organization, so i guess HxH copied?? Lol. In Akatsuki every member has his own arc and a good amount of screentime, which honestly didn't happen with every member of the PT and they just had a HUGE role in the Yorknew arc. The Royal Guards were way more layered and important. The members of the PT were sad and angry due to Uvogin's death, the members of Akatsuki didn't give a fuck and even laughed at Hidan and Deidara deaths.
In general, they also have very different philosophies and motivations. If i record correctly PT members said "We took whatever we want", they are thieves who stick together due to their past and being born in the Meteor City. While the ultimate goal of Pain and Obito was the peace in the world, even using non-moral and unconventional ways to archieve it. So how are their philosophies, functions and motives similar?

If you call this "stealing literally everything" then i'm sorry dude, but your critical skills aren't really good

KO haha
You literally said everything that was in my mind regarding his ignorant comment
He couldn't even respond to this xD

Im just quoting this so "mr. shonen expert" can see this beautful essay again.

Seriously. Naruto does a million things, just because three of those things are similar to Hxh doesnt mean its copying it. Also, Togashi didnt invent tournament arcs or exam arcs lol. There is no "patent" on tournaments, revenge plots, colorful eyes., etc. Btw I love you Togashi, you made two of my favorite series with Hunter x Hunter and Yu Yu Hakusho, Im sorry that some of your fans suck.
May 16, 2019 11:44 PM
Apr 2016
The thread is not even for Samurai 8 lol, but NARUTO vs HXH
May 16, 2019 11:59 PM

Jul 2015
Lucyxxx said:
vvvwwi said:

Sure, people like Yoshihiro Togashi, Nobuhiro Watsuki

oh Nobuhiro Watsuki the person who likes Child porn. I see what your life must look like it lol

imagine thinking that being a bad person somehow makes you exempt from having artistic merit
this is literally "nice painting, right? it was made by hitler" except not a meme
oyabuntaroJul 18, 2021 7:07 PM
May 17, 2019 2:02 AM

Mar 2019
ManThighs said:
Giulia14 said:

That is such a shitty comparison. Goku and Gon are very different characters.

Oh look, Sasuke and Kurapika are different characters too, Sharingan and Kurapika red eyes have different powers, Orochimaru and Hisoka are COMPLETELY different characters etc, and still, people say Kishimoto copied. I just fight fire with fire, man.
May 18, 2019 4:51 AM
Mar 2019
@vvvwwi

Naruto Manga Release date: September 21st, 1999
Hunter X Hunter Manga Release date: March 3, 1998
Thats too much of a short time frame with series starting almost around the same time for an author to copy anything from each other, as both series are still fresh and working on their own arcs.
You can appreciate Togashis work, thats fine, but calling an author a rip off artist of him because you enjoy Togashi that much is going a bit far. You weren't there when he was making ideas, I wasn't there, so we can't say for certain where he got the ideas, just because they're "similar", does not mean he "LOL STOLE THEM FROM HXH"
May 18, 2019 4:32 PM

Nov 2012
Sateramao said:
The thread is not even for Samurai 8 lol, but NARUTO vs HXH

Seriously man this has got to the point where it's veered off topic.

Togashi and Kishi are both great mangaka, there's no need for the US vs THEM mentality, they both made classic JUMP series and I'm sure they would respect and pay homage to each other in their works.

I can definitely say that the fans who are calling this/naruto "rip-offs" of Togashi are definitely a lot more butt hurt about any of this than Togashi himself is.

I love both of these artists works & I really enjoyed this first chapter and hope more people pick up this series, the response has been generally positive despite the negativity in this thread. Moving onto the second chapter now! Hope it's as good or even better than the first!
May 19, 2019 2:52 PM

Feb 2017
This chapter wasn't too bad. I'm looking forward to seeing more.
Mankind knew that they cannot change society. So instead of reflecting on themselves, they blamed the beasts.
May 24, 2019 8:08 PM

Oct 2017
the artstyle lowkey reminded me of Nihei
Jun 1, 2019 1:33 PM

Feb 2019
Hit me in the feels will ya? The main character's start was annoying definitely, but the way it is written it makes sense to do something like that and Daruma introduction was like the slope of the climax. I started to feel the hype once the -風 attack/technique came out!! Really like the chapter and looking forward to the series as it evolves over the course.
ファラオ
Jun 7, 2019 6:20 PM

Jul 2012
Up to a nice start

Seems like shounen manga threads on MAL are as cancerous and toxic as ever, so I guess I'll be reading reddit reactions instead.

4/5
Jun 11, 2019 11:07 AM
Jun 2013
vvvwwi said:
Giulia14 said:

This is disgusting

Are you ignorant or just trying to be edgy? Either one makes you look a fool to others.

The Sharingan and Crimson eyes are red, that's it. On grants increased visual range, precognition and the ability to cast illusions. The other increases the user's power at the cost of their clear-mindedness. Two completely different things.

Sasuke and Killua are opposites; the former is a dark brooder with a soft side, the latter an upbeat kid with a darker side.

Itachi and Illumi again, completely different. One was pretending to be villain but revealed to be a double agent working to protect his home and country. Illumi was just a manic guy obsessed with his brother.

Chakra litmus papers was something Kishimoto worked into the manga after they were introduced in a P1 anime filler.

Togashi invented tournaments/exams and lightning attacks did he huh? News to me.

Shinsuusenju is based on Avalokiteśvara, sometimes known in Japan as the Senju Kannon.

Orochimaru = Gel? Gel was introduced years after Orochimaru, and she's the only semi-similar character in the series.

Akatsuki were mercenaries working towards an ultimate goal, the Troupe were thieves. Unless you were claiming that Togashi invented groups?

Either way, this is the same edgy shit that's prevalent in quite a lot of areas in fiction fandom.

Kishimoto is a really capable author who is au fait on a number of topics, and that's something he enriched Naruto with. Social commentary, satire, borderline literary level characterization and an abundance of mythological references make Naruto stand out.

All authors from Kohei Horikoshi back to Luo Guanzhong and beyond, have all been heavily inspired by the fiction and fact they know. Togashi included. In fact, he's even admitted that he created HXH based on what was popular at the time.

Jun 11, 2019 11:07 AM
Jun 2013
vvvwwi said:
Giulia14 said:

This is disgusting

Are you ignorant or just trying to be edgy? Either one makes you look a fool to others.

The Sharingan and Crimson eyes are red, that's it. On grants increased visual range, precognition and the ability to cast illusions. The other increases the user's power at the cost of their clear-mindedness. Two completely different things.

Sasuke and Killua are opposites; the former is a dark brooder with a soft side, the latter an upbeat kid with a darker side.

Itachi and Illumi again, completely different. One was pretending to be villain but revealed to be a double agent working to protect his home and country. Illumi was just a manic guy obsessed with his brother.

Chakra litmus papers was something Kishimoto worked into the manga after they were introduced in a P1 anime filler.

Togashi invented tournaments/exams and lightning attacks did he huh? News to me.

Shinsuusenju is based on Avalokiteśvara, sometimes known in Japan as the Senju Kannon.

Orochimaru = Gel? Gel was introduced years after Orochimaru, and she's the only semi-similar character in the series.

Akatsuki were mercenaries working towards an ultimate goal, the Troupe were thieves. Unless you were claiming that Togashi invented groups?

Either way, this is the same edgy shit that's prevalent in quite a lot of areas in fiction fandom.

Kishimoto is a really capable author who is au fait on a number of topics, and that's something he enriched Naruto with. Social commentary, satire, borderline literary level characterization and an abundance of mythological references make Naruto stand out.

All authors from Kohei Horikoshi back to Luo Guanzhong and beyond, have all been heavily inspired by the fiction and fact they know. Togashi included. In fact, he's even admitted that he created HXH based on what was popular at the time.

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 43 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Thorf - Mar 22, 2020

50 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:45 AM

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 42 Discussion

deg - Mar 15, 2020

4 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:40 AM

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 41 Discussion

deg - Mar 8, 2020

9 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:37 AM

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 40 Discussion

deg - Mar 1, 2020

10 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:33 AM

Poll: » Samurai 8: Hachimaru Den Chapter 39 Discussion

deg - Feb 21, 2020

12 by Ranxomare »»
Jan 17, 2023 11:30 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.