Forum Settings
Forums

Why is it that so many people on here seem to just hate every single anime they watch?

New
Do you think it's stupid for people to trash every anime they watch?
May 16, 2019 12:37 PM
Feb 2018
When I just casually look for more shows to watch, I'll sometimes click on users and browse through their favorites to find something that looks good. But then I notice the person has a mean score of 2-4 with over 500 animes completed. Do you think that it's a bit ridiculous for people to straight up hate basically everything they watch too the point where they nitpick and tear into anime just because? I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I just don't see the point in watching anime if you're just gonna trash every anime you have watched. Like seeing 1's or 2's on all their completed anime, where you will rarely ever see a show rated above a 5. I think that's nitpicking too an extreme level and being a hardcore elitist. Then again it's just my opinion and not everyone is gonna agree with me which is totally okay.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 16, 2019 12:42 PM

Jul 2017
inb4 hate on OP for making another score related thread

cuz they're all elitists duHHHHhh

May 16, 2019 12:43 PM
Arch-Degenerate

Sep 2015
Goddammit we just had this thread

Why do you even care, why shouldn't they be able to be here, what are they doing wrong, stop trying to control the opinions other people have because threads like this always reek of bogus ass attempts at creating external pressures on people who have a mean score you don't like

Let them do their thing, it's a non-issue

Short_Circut said:

dammit xP

May 16, 2019 12:44 PM

Sep 2017
Every time I check someone who gave a bad review, I also notice that they gave most shows a 4 or 5, and honestly I just learned to not care what their scores are, but rather leave it up to my own judgement. I rarely rate shows lower than a 6, I think I may have rated one show either a 5 or 6, but other than that, mostly 7's, 8's, and 9's.
May 16, 2019 12:46 PM

Jul 2017
Manaban said:

Short_Circut said:

dammit xP

Goteem lel limitlimitlimitlim;lt
May 16, 2019 12:47 PM

Oct 2017
They just have a shitty or weird scoring system. Some people don't score by enjoyment at all, but unless they're ridiculously harsh or just terrible at picking shows to watch you'd expect a mean of at least around 5 if they're using the whole scale. Basically no one actually hates most of the anime they watch, despite what the scores may imply to you.
May 16, 2019 12:52 PM

Aug 2018
That's just trolling.
Even if you are a massive elitist your score should range from 5 to 7.

I never lie on the internet. What's the point of it...
the chinese noodles ad is an anime and avatar isn't!
triggered

Check out my taste and my profile.
May 16, 2019 12:57 PM

Jul 2014
Yes, drop shit if you don't enjoy it, otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Platypus7 said:
They just have a shitty or weird scoring system. Some people don't score by enjoyment at all, but unless they're ridiculously harsh or just terrible at picking shows to watch you'd expect a mean of at least around 5 if they're using the whole scale. Basically no one actually hates most of the anime they watch, despite what the scores may imply to you.

I've read a lot of low-rated reviews, there are people who've sat through over 20 episodes of several animes and have ended up giving them low enjoyment ratings specifically.

Those kind of people exist, whether they actually didn't enjoy the anime, or are just lying about their enjoyment level is a mystery. Maybe the enjoyment of having completed an anime and being able to write a review about it outweighs the unpleasantness they have to deal with while watching it?
May 16, 2019 12:57 PM

Oct 2010
They have a different scoring system just like an anilist where you can score with emojis or with a 1-100 scale. Just get over it
May 16, 2019 1:06 PM

Nov 2016
I'm all for using the whole scale, but I think having a mean between 2-4 is usually pretty ridiculous or it's a sign that someone has a very specific taste and that he won't appreciate most stuff that doesn't align with it, just don't take it too seriously.

fuck this topic btw

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 16, 2019 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
Yeah some people use 2 as average like krunchyman. It's just a different scale.

Also if people want to watch stuff they hate, it's their time and choice
May 16, 2019 1:16 PM
Jul 2018
Oh! Is this the remake of the “MALers having a mean score of less than 5, what makes you keep watching anime”? Or a remaster of “Why do most people's mean score on MAL is low”? Or is this the new dlc of “Why do people with a low mean score not try to get some other hobbies or friends in real life?” This is getting kind of ridiculous at this point guys lol...
May 16, 2019 1:23 PM

Oct 2017
Sai-B said:
Yes, drop shit if you don't enjoy it, otherwise you're just wasting your time.

Platypus7 said:

I've read a lot of low-rated reviews, there are people who've sat through over 20 episodes of several animes and have ended up giving them low enjoyment ratings specifically.

Those kind of people exist, whether they actually didn't enjoy the anime, or are just lying about their enjoyment level is a mystery. Maybe the enjoyment of having completed an anime and being able to write a review about it outweighs the unpleasantness they have to deal with while watching it?

Yeah, there's always going to be some people like that. There are reasons to watch shows you don't enjoy for sure. Not being enjoyable doesn't necessarily mean a show is boring, some people just like to complete what they start or force themselves to finish a show they hate to avoid complaints of "you didn't even finish it."
May 16, 2019 1:27 PM

Sep 2015
The more anime you watch, the more your standarts rise. Simple as that

“Now I have neither happiness nor unhappiness.

Everything passes.

That is the one and only thing that I have thought resembled a truth in the society of human beings where I have dwelled up to now as in a burning hell.

Everything passes.”
― Osamu Dazai, No Longer Human
May 16, 2019 1:28 PM
Jul 2018
It's just because they want look critical. Really annoying tbh.
May 16, 2019 1:35 PM

Feb 2018
Maybe they have a different evaluation system than MAL. Although it is true that this harms the Anime score
May 16, 2019 1:41 PM

May 2017
Omg another one. Why does it matter? What everyone else decides to watch and what they decide to rate stuff has no effect on you.
May 16, 2019 1:44 PM

Aug 2018
VengefulAura said:
When I just casually look for more shows to watch, I'll sometimes click on users and browse through their favorites to find something that looks good. But then I notice the person has a mean score of 2-4 with over 500 animes completed. Do you think that it's a bit ridiculous for people to straight up hate basically everything they watch too the point where they nitpick and tear into anime just because? I don't know why it bothers me so much, but I just don't see the point in watching anime if you're just gonna trash every anime you have watched. Like seeing 1's or 2's on all their completed anime, where you will rarely ever see a show rated above a 5. I think that's nitpicking too an extreme level and being a hardcore elitist. Then again it's just my opinion and not everyone is gonna agree with me which is totally okay.

Yeah, I don't know why someone would watch 12 or 24 episodes of a 1-star show. Just stop watching if it's so bad.
May 16, 2019 1:44 PM
Apr 2018
Firstly I would like to say that your statement is false since if a person were to hate every single anime they watch then I do not see a purpose in continuing to watch anime.

However this could well be true for people who have watched a large number of anime, precisely atleast over 600 animes. This is the case as someone who has watched so many animes may have covered all the good animes there are or to say the least watched all those animes that are of the persons taste.Hence leaving away low grade animes and those lacking appeal to them.
Yato_san3May 16, 2019 1:52 PM
May 16, 2019 1:46 PM
Jul 2018
Everyone can waste their time however they want.

Seriously, I think, there aren't so many people out there with such a low mean score.
It appears as huge number, because you will recognize and remember them more than the "average" profiles with averages scores between 5-7.
May 16, 2019 1:50 PM

Feb 2010
Why are so many new users here unable to perform even the most basic search functions to realize that this question has already been asked and answered a million times?

I guess some mysteries are not meant to be solved.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 16, 2019 2:00 PM

Jun 2016
Oh shit, here we go again..........
May 16, 2019 2:03 PM

Aug 2018
Edocchi said:

Hey look, this thread is about you, mister 4.40 mean score.
May 16, 2019 2:04 PM

Dec 2013
I have no idea why people even care about other people's scores. Not to mention quality matters more than quantity, so people are willing to wade through trash to find hidden gems.

But seriously, just let people do what they want. It's none of your business anyway.
May 16, 2019 2:05 PM

Jun 2016
epidemia78 said:
Edocchi said:

My manga mean score is even lower u know 😎😎😎. Wow I'm such an elitist 😎
May 16, 2019 2:09 PM

Aug 2018
Edocchi said:
epidemia78 said:

My manga mean score is even lower u know 😎😎😎. Wow I'm such an elitist 😎

You gave white album a 1. You're abusing the rating system.
May 16, 2019 2:11 PM

Aug 2017
OP you must go outside and make some friends.
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
May 16, 2019 2:12 PM

Aug 2018
Nurguburu said:
OP you should go out and make some friends.

Friends cut into valuable time better spent on watching shitty anime
May 16, 2019 2:27 PM

Dec 2017
Yeah, I think it's stupid. I can understand if people don't like the anime they watch, because some animes simply suck balls. However, trashing on every single anime you watch shows that you have zero brain cells, as a normal person would switch to a different genre/type of anime or a different form of entertainment by now. There's no point in wasting time searching for an anime that won't ever satisfy you. Either rethink your standards or stop jumping from anime to anime will nilly and actually take some time to search, read reviews, and look at in-depth recommendations. Yeah, I'll admit these reocurring threads tend to get on my nerves. This type of thing just gets way too annoying.
May 16, 2019 2:36 PM
May 2019
First, everyone has their own opinion on the animes they have watched. Second, is that, if you really want to know how the anime is going to be, you see it in the MAL ratings scores and go according to your interest.
May 16, 2019 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
I don't understand how School Days went from 6.05 to 5.95
May 16, 2019 3:24 PM
Aug 2013
i rate animes anymore. i had rated animes where i thought they deserve the rating ,
because they were either really bad or very good.

many years ago, angel beats was not very old yet .the people loved it back then. i watched 3 three episodes and dropped it.

last year i gave it a second chance. because every anime I gave up feels like unfinished ,something that is left behind, and hoped it could get better.it was wasted time.

my rating system

for story 2-3 points
charactere 2 points
predictability -1 point or a good plot twist + 1 point
animation 2 points
music 2 points

according to my rating system on example angel beats 4 points

the story had not touched me.i did not like protagonists,
the story was so predictable.only for music and animation i can give 2 points each.

sorry my english is not very good.
May 16, 2019 3:35 PM
Feb 2018
I don't get why some people are getting so salty about this question being asked. I apologize for not ever checking forums daily to have seen this question has been asked before. However, I won't apologize for having an opinion and being not so closed minded as many people are. While it isn't my business what people do, I just felt that I should start a topic about it.
May 16, 2019 4:34 PM

Jul 2017
VengefulAura said:
I don't get why some people are getting so salty about this question being asked. I apologize for not ever checking forums daily to have seen this question has been asked before. However, I won't apologize for having an opinion and being not so closed minded as many people are. While it isn't my business what people do, I just felt that I should start a topic about it.

Yea that's the reason lmao, a lot of others have started the same topic hence the hate
May 16, 2019 4:41 PM

Dec 2017
paintingneko1990 said:

my rating system

for story 2-3 points
charactere 2 points
predictability -1 point or a good plot twist + 1 point
animation 2 points
music 2 points

according to my rating system on example angel beats 4 points

the story had not touched me.i did not like protagonists,
the story was so predictable.only for music and animation i can give 2 points each.

sorry my english is not very good.

Yeah, your rating system is actually pretty good. Even though you disliked the story and characters enough to drop it, you still gave it a 4. That's pretty fair judgement and I respect that.
May 16, 2019 4:43 PM

Oct 2017
VengefulAura said:

There's a forum search function: https://myanimelist.net/forum/search
It's recommended that you check it before making a thread to see if the topic has been covered before (https://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=516059). There's nothing wrong with asking a question but if you could easily have it answered by checking past threads instead of making a new one of course people are going to be salty, particularly with this question as it's asked regularly.
May 16, 2019 4:55 PM

Aug 2014
it's just because a lot of anime is bad
May 16, 2019 5:07 PM
Feb 2018
metadata said:
it's just because a lot of anime is bad
yeah to you i guess everything is bad lol 4.32
May 16, 2019 5:17 PM

Apr 2015
This threads just don't stop coming and they don't stop coming....
May 16, 2019 5:21 PM

Dec 2016
Imagine unironically liking anime. Weaboos smh

What's the difference?
May 16, 2019 5:37 PM
Jul 2018
Jese23 said:

2 as average on a 1-10 scale? Seriously?
May 16, 2019 5:42 PM
Jul 2018
Gythia said:
Jese23 said:

https://myanimelist.net/profile/Krunchyman

well his mean average is 2.01

His scale is :
2-10.......Various Levels of Good/Great
1............Bad

So basically anything 2 or higher is good for him
May 16, 2019 5:54 PM
Jul 2018
Jese23 said:
Gythia said:

https://myanimelist.net/profile/Krunchyman

well his mean average is 2.01

His scale is :
2-10.......Various Levels of Good/Great
1............Bad

So basically anything 2 or higher is good for him

Huh, mb. Looks like a troll account imo
May 16, 2019 6:07 PM

Feb 2019
People shouldn't waste so much of their time on shows they consider bad or mediocre, Having a low mean score just shows that you spend most of your time watching stuff you hate more than you like

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 16, 2019 6:11 PM

Jan 2009
its understandable if they seen like 1000+ anime already (1000 is the common sample size in polls/survey/statistics that is considered reliable) because as they say 90% of everything is trash (Sturgeons Law)

and overall MAL global mean score is close to 7 or 6.79 to be exact, source https://anime.plus/s/globals
May 16, 2019 6:14 PM

May 2009
VengefulAura said:
Why is it that so many people on here seem to just hate every single anime they watch?
Well I can't speak for anyone else, but I don't hate and in fact actually like much of what I've watched.
Avatar character is Gabriel from Gabriel DropOut.
May 16, 2019 6:23 PM

Jun 2017
Omg get over it bruh.... its not that deep
May 16, 2019 6:34 PM

May 2018
Because more than 90% of anime that comes out each season is bad. If you are looking for a series that has a minimum quality or offers something different and you are not selective, it is normal to have a low score.
May 18, 2019 1:00 AM

Dec 2018
Well i like to criticise and i can enjoyed something i think is bad

One Punch Man 2nd Season is horribly wrong in every way, but its kind of funny =P . I like to see it stupid ass try and fail every week , and it makes me laugh

Juts because i find a media having a low quality don't mean that i hate it. Now my mean score is not that low 7.7 But i do watch some anime that i think is bad but I still kind of enjoys them
May 18, 2019 1:20 AM
Jan 2012
Your topic does not feel like just an opinion piece. If you were asking why people do this and what others thoughts are of it, then yeah sure, it'd just be a harmless opinion topic (despite this topic being made like every couple days). The problem is you called the way some people watch anime ridiculous and pointless. How is that open-minded? It doesn't seem like you were asking for the reason they do so, it felt more like you wanted to tell people you didn't like how some people do things.

It's not about your opinion, but how you presented it.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 5 hours ago

31 by Wolfyrinn »»
42 seconds ago

Poll: » Hentai is the worst anime genre ever created. ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 17

92 by Skuletor »»
2 minutes ago

» Post the Last Anime Items you bought ( 1 2 )

SpeedyAlchemist - Mar 10

59 by SpeedyAlchemist »»
11 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

38 by TheSFHero »»
37 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 9 hours ago

33 by TRC_Randy »»
1 hour ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.