Forum Settings
Forums
New
May 14, 2019 11:17 PM

Mar 2018
This is completely random and I was just thinking. Whenever I see a anime that was aired in like 2013, I always mistakenly think of them as released recently. Well it turns out they are 6 years old. Yikes. idk if its a habit since during that time I started watching anime that were airing sometimes. Does anyone else feel like that? Its weird, whenever I see something that was airing 2013-present I instantly think ''new''. Whenever I see Strike the Blood , I literally don't think of it as old but in reality it was airing 6 years ago?? oof idk how to put it into words.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
May 14, 2019 11:19 PM

Feb 2016
I'd say if it has the black rectangles it's old.
4:3 aspect ratio right?
“The world is full of nice people. If you can't find one, be one.”
― Nishan Panwar
8=D ~ O:
May 14, 2019 11:24 PM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
Pre-2000 Anime: Relatively ‘Old’.
Pre-2010 Anime: Somewhere between ‘Old’ and ‘Recent’.
Post-2010 Anime: ‘Recent’.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

May 14, 2019 11:30 PM

Feb 2010
How is 6 years 'old' in any way?

To me the only meaningful distinction is drawing the line around the year 2000 when anime transitioned from cel animation to digitally assisted animation. Lots of significant things changed around that time. The technology, the animation technique, the color palette, the overall style of the visuals, even the way anime were produced and aired. DRawing the line here just makes sense because this way there is an actual meaningful difference between 'old' and 'new'. Which is just not the case if you draw the line in 2013 or 2010 or 2007 or whatever.

Although I guess aspect ratio and resolution are the other criteria one can consider, but even they got more or less started in the early 21st century.
I probably regret this post by now.
May 14, 2019 11:41 PM

Dec 2018
Anything before 2008 and ended in 2008 as well
-----------------------------------

"O kawaii koto"
( ´• ᴗ •` )

I wish i could love myself~

May 14, 2019 11:43 PM

Oct 2017
2013 and older, in my opinion. Not too sure why.
May 14, 2019 11:48 PM

Feb 2016
I would consider anything with cel animation "old".
May 14, 2019 11:54 PM

Jun 2011
10 years old is old. Doesn't matter if it still looks new really. Hard to accept that things I watched as I graduated high school are old now but that is just the facts.

This is also the measure for which video games at the retro gaming expo are considered old. 10 years or the previous console generation is considered retro.
The anime community in a nutshell.
May 14, 2019 11:57 PM

Dec 2012
Something that was made before I was a fan I guess so maybe the 90s or older.
"Laws exist only for those who cannot live without clinging onto them."
-Souske Aizen "Bleach"

May 14, 2019 11:59 PM

Nov 2012
I just got done watching Kannagi, it was released in 2008 but I bet if it was released today people would be none the wiser.

https://myanimelist.net/anime/3958/Kannagi
May 15, 2019 12:06 AM

Dec 2016
I honestly still can't think of anything post-2000 as "old"... though I think for the early 00s titles it's about time...
May 15, 2019 12:12 AM

Aug 2015
I think it's in a span of 10-13 years, I would already call it "pretty old". Just like now, I think anime aired in 2009 is pretty old.

I'm starting to get embarrassed by my own forum signature line.. XD
May 15, 2019 12:14 AM

Jan 2009
when its 10 years old from the current year
May 15, 2019 12:19 AM

Jul 2016
Basically anything that's pre-2000. There's no real thought that's gone into that, that's just what I have in my head
May 15, 2019 12:37 AM

Jul 2010
This is not about the animation, but it feels like anime started being more focused and condensed after 2010s. 13 episode anime became more frequent and pacing is improved generally. Any anime before that, I consider old.

For example, if Angel Beats was done in 2005, it would definitely be a boring 25 episodes. If BHA was done in 2000s, it would be a 300 episode shounen with a lot of fillers etc.
May 15, 2019 12:58 AM

Sep 2018
As someone posted above, 4:3 anime is old or anything made in the 1999 or earlier
May 15, 2019 1:00 AM

Sep 2017
Anything before 2006 is old.Anime took a massive leap forward that year.
May 15, 2019 1:09 AM

May 2018
I am watching [the remaster of] Space Cobra that came out in 1982 and it's new to me ...tho I am familiar with the characters and the aesthetics from later Cobra titles.

I don't get you guys.
Why you are so obsessed with newer cutting edge stuff? Are those titles always satisfying to you no matter the content?
Not me.
Not anymore.

Yes, technologies evolve, artists learn how to use them ect...which is overclouded by the fact for what they are used, what kind of imagery and storytelling.

For example Violet Evergarden looks really great but I am totally not interested in what this show is trying to tell me.
Also isn't it an overkill to tell such mostly melodramatic and static story constituted mainly of dialogs with such rich and dynamic visuals?
On the other hand Golden Kamuy which is a way more interesting to me has dynamic story, a lot of action and beautiful scenery...but all this is represented by mostly static shots and horrible low detail 3D CGI additions like bears, wolfs, camp fires ect.

Thus a show could use all the contemporary technologies and still not working properly.
Also trends nowadays skip on some of my favorite genres and themes.
alshuMay 15, 2019 1:30 AM
May 15, 2019 1:11 AM
Feb 2014
I consider anime made before 2000 as old, i think it's around that time that i found out what anime really was and got into it, so i don't consider anime such as the original Fruits Basket, Full Moon wo Sagashite or Pretear as old, even though they are almost 20 years old by now.
My Shoujo, Josei and Female targeted anime adaptations starting from 2017+ stacks:

Part 1: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9181
Part 2: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9195
Part 3: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9225
Part 4: https://myanimelist.net/stacks/9280
May 15, 2019 1:21 AM

Apr 2017
I consider anything old if it's not new. 10 years+, I would consider pretty old.
alshu said:
I am watching [the remaster of] Space Cobra that came out in 1982 and it's new to me ...tho I am familiar with the characters and the aesthetics from later Cobra titles.

I don't get you guys.
Why you are so obsessed with newer cutting edge stuff? Are they always satisfy you no matter the content?
Not me.
Not anymore.

Yes, technologies evolve, artists learn how to use them ect...which is overclouded by the fact for what they are used, what kind of imagery and storytelling.

For example Violet Evergarden looks really great but I am totally not interested in what this show is trying to tell me.
Also isn't it an overkill to tell such mostly melodramatic and static story constituted mainly of dialogs with such rich and dynamic visuals?
On the other hand Golden Kamuy which is a way more interesting to me has dynamic story, a lot of action and beautiful scenery...but all this is represented by mostly static shots and horrible low detail 3D CGI additions like bears, wolfs, camp fires ect.

Thus a show could use all the contemporary technologies and still not working properly.
Also trends nowadays skip on some of my favorite genres or themes.

Not only is the aesthetics good but the content and plot is good, as amazing as old shows are not all have the best animation and that throws people off a lot.
May 15, 2019 1:21 AM
Jul 2016
I consider the anime which had aired before 2007 as old.
May 15, 2019 1:23 AM

Jul 2016
Before the decade that I was born in.
May 15, 2019 1:26 AM

Mar 2019
i dunno... maybe if ithe animu has white beard and mustache lol

You Can Not Build The World With Beauty!
You Need Brain And Muscle!

Oh, Seriously?

Then You Can Not Destroy The World With Beauty!
Instead, You Need Brain And Muscle To Do So!
Only People With The Most Superior Brains And Muscles
Can Be The Best At Destroying This World!
But Who Has More Superior Brain And Muscle Anyway?
Me Or Her?

May 15, 2019 1:40 AM

May 2018
hairu said:

Not only is the aesthetics good but the content and plot is good, as amazing as old shows are not all have the best animation and that throws people off a lot.

Yeah, look at Shoumetsu Toshi, Gunjou no Magmell and lets say Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo Yu-no (all of them from the current season) and tell me strait in the eyes that those have great aesthetic, animation and content.

The quality of the show is determined mostly by the artistic ideas and the passion behind the project not that much by the year in which it was created.

I am not telling you that everything new is worst by default just that there is no guaranty it would be good despite technology, trends or whatever.
alshuMay 15, 2019 2:35 AM
May 15, 2019 1:45 AM

May 2008
If it does not have colors it is old. :D

For me old is something from 60s or 70s... maybe early 80s.
May 15, 2019 2:16 AM

Feb 2015
Any before the full transition to HD on television, so I guess that's before mid to late 2000's. That's when I first noticed a little more refined use of colors and details. Most shows from the early 2000's has shown their age.
May 15, 2019 3:05 AM

Apr 2017
alshu said:
hairu said:

Yeah, look at Shoumetsu Toshi, Gunjou no Magmell and lets say Kono Yo no Hate de Koi o Utau Shoujo Yu-no (all of them from the current season) and tell me strait in the eyes that those have great aesthetic, animation and content.

The quality of the show is determined mostly by the artistic ideas and the passion behind the project not that much by the year in which it was created.

I am not telling you that everything new is worst by default just that there is no guaranty it would be good despite technology, trends or whatever.

In all honestly those shows do have better animation than shows from the 90's?
May 15, 2019 3:24 AM

May 2018
hairu said:

In all honestly those shows do have better animation than shows from the 90's?

Are you not familiar with those titles I listed? They look horrible (Shoumetsu Toshi) to plain (Yu-No).

There are some TV shows even from the 70s and some movies from the 60s that have better animation than Shoumetsu Toshi, Magmell and Yu-No...but not my point here because this is cherry picking.
In every anime "period" there are shows with really bad animation.

My point its that new doesn't mean automatically good thus I don't get the obsession with newer stuff if it doesn't guarantee anything.
Any average anime fan should check constantly for new and old titles that suit his/her mood and current interests.
May 15, 2019 4:04 AM

Jul 2016
Equal or Less than 2000 is Old/Classic for me.
May 15, 2019 4:04 AM

Oct 2010
Pre 1990, why? Because I was born in 1990. I don't think slayers and eva are old, its creators are still living and kicking.
May 15, 2019 4:06 AM

Oct 2008
I don't, although I am a seasonal anime watcher, I still watch anime from several years back. Currently I am watching a 2001 anime "Project Arms".
May 15, 2019 4:50 AM

Apr 2017
alshu said:
Are you not familiar with those titles I listed? They look horrible (Shoumetsu Toshi) to plain (Yu-No).

There are some TV shows even from the 70s and some movies from the 60s that have better animation than Shoumetsu Toshi, Magmell and Yu-No...but not my point here because this is cherry picking.
In every anime "period" there are shows with really bad animation.

My point its that new doesn't mean automatically good thus I don't get the obsession with newer stuff if it doesn't guarantee anything.
Any average anime fan should check constantly for new and old titles that suit his/her mood and current interests.

There are still so many good shows that are new and have good animation, thing is with shows from later on they have an amazing story but people can't get into it since the animation looks plain to them(of course there are exceptions, for shows that have good animation even back in the 70s and people will gladly get into watching one of these).
But for example if we were to compare the 1993 Jojo's bizzare adventure to the current one, which do you think would be more enjoyable? Lots of older anime have art like the 1993 Jojo, when a lot of art nowadays look like AOT. People should contrast between old and new, but there's a bigger range on good looking art with the new technologies now.
May 15, 2019 5:00 AM

Aug 2018
I think it's obvious a generation factor but that's it
May 15, 2019 5:18 AM

Aug 2016
alshu said:

I agree, older things doesnt necessarily mean it is bad. But I think peoples "obsession" with the newer shows is quite self explanatory. Its the social aspect of being able to talk about all the new airing shows, with other people who are also watching them. And also, why should people have to watch both new and old? Everyone is different, everyone has different tastes and reasons for liking things, so can't we just let people watch what the hell they like?
May 15, 2019 5:19 AM

Jan 2017
In my case, it's after dozen (12) years, because children, who were born at the same time as the released medium, are now teenagers and slip into the main demographic for anime.
May 15, 2019 5:49 AM
Jul 2018
Pullman said:
How is 6 years 'old' in any way?

To me the only meaningful distinction is drawing the line around the year 2000 when anime transitioned from cel animation to digitally assisted animation. Lots of significant things changed around that time. The technology, the animation technique, the color palette, the overall style of the visuals, even the way anime were produced and aired. DRawing the line here just makes sense because this way there is an actual meaningful difference between 'old' and 'new'. Which is just not the case if you draw the line in 2013 or 2010 or 2007 or whatever.

Although I guess aspect ratio and resolution are the other criteria one can consider, but even they got more or less started in the early 21st century.

When I watch carefully remastered bluerays of old titles, roles seem to be reversed. Cels can be scanned at much higher resolutions than digital.
May 15, 2019 6:01 AM

Mar 2017
I wouldn't really consider anything more recent than about 2000 as old, though I might consider something before 2005 as "fairly old". To be "really old" it would have to date from the mid-1980s or earlier.

Contrast this to what's considered "old" in popular music, TV, Hollywood films, and even American animation. With all of those media, I'd have to go back at least to the 1980s just to get into "fairly old" territory, and the 1950s or 60s to be "really old".
A møøse once bit my sister...
May 15, 2019 6:04 AM

Feb 2013
Everything before 1990, since I was born in 1989.
May 15, 2019 6:06 AM
Aug 2018
anything before 2000 is old...
anything before 2010 and creepy art style old...
AoT > anime
May 15, 2019 6:13 AM
Dec 2017
oli06 said:
This is completely random and I was just thinking. Whenever I see a anime that was aired in like 2013, I always mistakenly think of them as released recently. Well it turns out they are 6 years old. Yikes. idk if its a habit since during that time I started watching anime that were airing sometimes. Does anyone else feel like that? Its weird, whenever I see something that was airing 2013-present I instantly think ''new''. Whenever I see Strike the Blood , I literally don't think of it as old but in reality it was airing 6 years ago?? oof idk how to put it into words.

It depends on the anime

Here is the thing
Kaze no stigma 2007 but looks like it was maded in 2000
Death note 2006 looks like it was maded just recently.

One punch man 2015 looks like it was maded in 2019

Some time It's a paradox
May 15, 2019 6:14 AM

May 2018
hairu said:

There are still so many good shows that are new and have good animation

I am not saying that there aren't non at all.
From this year Mob Psycho 100 II and Kaguya-sama come to mind.
Also Kemurikusa had horrible visuals but interesting concepts and lore.

Sadly Dororo dropped the ball visually and from certain point as writing quality. Yakusoku no Neverland was a meh project because A-1 Clover Works had other shows to work on.

Kouya no Kotobuki Hikoutai is an interesting example because it takes advantage of modern technologies - those gorgeous intense 3D CGI air fights would be difficult to animate in 2D...but also shoots itself in the leg withe them because for some reason used 3D and 2D designs for its characters. The cast looked terribly inconsistent and unnatural.
Also some problems with the writing (everybody acting like a kindergarten kid).

So 2019 to this point is a meh year for me, especially the spring season. This anime from 1982 I mentioned above look and works better than the most of the new shows.
(Sadly it sounds horribly. Maybe the studio lost its master audio types? I have seen way older remastered TV shows with better sound.)

hairu said:
But for example if we were to compare the 1993 Jojo's bizzare adventure to the current one, which do you think would be more enjoyable?

- I am not a fan of JoJo also never watched the 1993 OVAs.
- Not a fair comparison from adaptation point of view.
From what I have seen (the first 2 seasons), there is nothing that complicated as art or animation that could not be created with 90s TV budget and technics. I could speculated that in 1993 such show could become even more well received in synergy with the popularity of the manga in the 90s.

hairu said:
lot of art nowadays look like AOT.

I totally disagree.
The only shows that to me look like AOT are all produced by studio Wit (and Kabaneri looks very close).
It looks are one of the main reason I dropped it.
1. Horribly thick outlines of the charters and their shading is different that the one of the backgrounds.
2. 3 minutes of incredibly smooth and detailed sakuga and the rest of the episode is stale with slideshow like animation.
I am really grateful that only this studio works like this and you can expected some nice surpises even from the smaller studios.

hairu said:
People should contrast between old and new, but there's a bigger range on good looking art with the new technologies now.

This has nothing to do with technologies.
It's a question of current trends and how people are used to certain styles.
For example JoJo TV proves that a little rehashed and adapted but in its core deeply influenced by the 80s and the 90s character design could be popular with the modern watcher...if heavily advertised I guess.
alshuMay 15, 2019 6:50 AM
May 15, 2019 6:40 AM

Aug 2010
i think after 10 years its okay to start accepting an anime as being older.

its not as old as a 20 year old anime, but its still old you know what i mean
https://combosmooth.itch.io/ - I make free-to-play browser games for PC and I sell pixel art animation here
May 15, 2019 6:43 AM

May 2018
Renn said:
Its the social aspect of being able to talk about all the new airing shows, with other people who are also watching them.

Commenting seasonals is overrated.
99% of the time someone explains to you how wrong is your opinion.
And if you have something negative to say your are immediately branded as hater or troll.

Renn said:
And also, why should people have to watch both new and old? Everyone is different, everyone has different tastes and reasons for liking things, so can't we just let people watch what the hell they like?

1. Are you telling that to me? I watch both and recommend both.
I only react to this mantra that comes again and again "Newer is better.".
Maybe it works for smartphones and computers but not necessary for art.
2. Actually taste changes with experience. The less divers titles you watch the more it will be limited and you risk to run out of stuff to watch.
And one day sooner that later new trends will come and someone will say "There is nothing good like SAO anymore!" or "Where are my isekais?".
May 15, 2019 7:13 AM

Nov 2015
I definitely notice if it has come out before 2010, but I don't think I would actually call it old unless it came out before 2000. I don't think that will change to me even as time goes on. Even in 5 years I think that's still what I would say
May 15, 2019 7:22 AM

Sep 2017
Pre-1980s. I start calling something old when it's so hard to find it online because either no one remembers it or no one bothers to put it online. That's the only way a show being too old will bother me.
May 15, 2019 7:32 AM

Nov 2016
Pre 2000, even tho I would call many mid to late 90's as older and not necessarily as old, same goes for the early 2000's.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 15, 2019 7:48 AM
Aug 2013
really old are animes in black and white
old animes before 80´s
80´s
90´s the decade i was born
00´s
10´s very up to date
May 15, 2019 7:51 AM

Apr 2014
Attack on Titan is definitely an old anime, so idk.. like 6/7 years before I consider it old.
A stupid thread deserves a stupid answer!
May 15, 2019 8:15 AM

Nov 2011
=> 6 years
=> old anime

I lose motivation to answer your question honestly ...
The old animes (or movies or games or anything) are ones which aired before you were born or at least before you are old enough to knowing about it when it firstly aired.. Yes it depends to each person.. You find out something before your life is a sign you are bothering yourself to learn some history before you were born / you became a fan..
Jim_HeartMay 15, 2019 8:19 AM
"The Slave is the have-not, the oppressed one with nothing to spare.
But because the Slave is in that despairing situation, having nothing, it can kill the Emperor !"
May 15, 2019 8:19 AM

Jul 2016
When it's themes have aged badly.

Example: Akira is a product of it's time.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Anime you hope will be announced as soon as possible.

Dominusew - Today

14 by FanofAction »»
7 minutes ago

Poll: » What is your most common reason for rewatching anime?

MeanMrMusician - Yesterday

18 by traed »»
8 minutes ago

» Anime Misandry ( 1 2 )

ColourWheel - Apr 21

84 by -YaoiBoy- »»
16 minutes ago

» Do you drop shows?

EverRealm - Today

43 by purplemoon_ »»
26 minutes ago

» Credit cards companies are forcing the Hentai industry

Dije - 6 hours ago

31 by traed »»
27 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.