Forums

Most Overrated/Underrated Anime Discussion Thread v.5

New
Pages (85) « First ... « 51 52 [53] 54 55 » ... Last »
Apr 19, 2019 7:44 AM

Dec 2017
MadHobbit2 said:
thevagus said:

"some of gintama" how many episodes have you even watched to call it mediocre?

The first ~15 episodes of the 2006 original version. I really tried to give it a chance, since other people tend to rate it so highly, but it just wasn't doing it for me so I dropped it. Why is this such a big deal to you?

That makes sense. First thirty episodes are only there to form foundation which is really important even tho it is boring. Good comedy starts after episode 34. Good story and bizzare comedy starts after benizakura arc which is from episode 48 to episode 51. Gintama is fucking bizzare after that and constantly delivers new type of humor until the end. In the end of 2015 season it has two best shonen serious arcs with lots of feels.
I won't force you or anything but just consider rewatching it when you are depressed.

"All that is gold does not glitter,
Not all those who wander are lost;
The old that is strong does not wither,
Deep roots are not reached by the frost."

Apr 19, 2019 7:49 AM

Dec 2017
@Daphi it does have different kinds of humor. It might not be your type of humor. But it is false that it is same through out, in fact series changes quite drastically throughout the eps.

Apr 19, 2019 7:57 AM

Jan 2019
thevagus said:
@Daphi it does have different kinds of humor. It might not be your type of humor. But it is false that it is same through out, in fact series changes quite drastically throughout the eps.

i disagree
in 240~ episodes the humor was exactly the same
always screaming and then some other shit
saying its not my type of humor is false
i very much enjoyed it for the first 50-100 eps
it just got old because it was more of the same so i started to not enjoy it because the plot wasnt actually going anywhere, i know there is a story, but due to the focus on comedy that is always the same the plot is paced horrendously, worse than one piece in that regard, i know comedy is the point, but in such a long running series you need more then just the same type of comedy all the time

Apr 19, 2019 8:34 AM

Jul 2014
Satyr_icon said:
I can't stress enough how Bunny Girl's and Slime Datta Ken's popularity baffles me.

Safeanew said:
NHK ni Youkoso! is overrated.
It is a good comedy show, but it fails as a social commentary.
I hope people avoid learning too many "life lessons" from that show.

Maybe because it's not really trying to do social commentary nor give life lessons. It's just a story about broken and awful people. Unless you count "don't act like any of these people" as life lessons.

I mean that it is not a great depiction of people.
It mostly amounts to a moral caricature and talks nothing about difference in way of talking and come of as quite idealistic in it's themes and messages because it avoids any real challenge.
It says some things are bad but gives a magical solution to them without any real context.
The comedy is fine because it holds even with the story being a complete mess by poorly made characters and poorly explored themes.
I am not against a criticism of the hikikomori lifestyle, but it have to do better than that if it really want to help solve a problem rather than be the problem.
But of course it's aim probably is to be the problem.
Apr 19, 2019 8:54 AM

Dec 2017
Daphi said:
thevagus said:

i disagree
in 240~ episodes the humor was exactly the same
always screaming and then some other shit
saying its not my type of humor is false
i very much enjoyed it for the first 50-100 eps
it just got old because it was more of the same so i started to not enjoy it because the plot wasnt actually going anywhere, i know there is a story, but due to the focus on comedy that is always the same the plot is paced horrendously, worse than one piece in that regard, i know comedy is the point, but in such a long running series you need more then just the same type of comedy all the time

Comedy is the main focus of the anime. Plot does move after first season is finished and after 2015 season, there is nothing but plot which is mixed with humor.
Humor isn't same at all. Humor in every arc is different af. For example, santa arc which comes after diviner arc has different humor to the core. Renho arc which comes after love choriss arc has a very different humor. There is actually a lot of plot in gintama even baka ouji has his own background story.
It has pacing issues regarding plot but it is worth it because of shogun assassination and farewell shinsengumi arc which is at the end of 2015 season.

Apr 19, 2019 9:19 AM

Jul 2016
Most genre-deconstruction anime are really overhyped and overrated.

Like, dude, no worries, you can enjoy Kill La Kill for its humor and its fanservice.
You can stop pretending you need a 300 IQ to understand its "anti-objectification yada yada" message, lmfao.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Apr 19, 2019 9:41 AM
Feb 2016
Most overrated for me is Guilty Crown. Watched this show bcos my friend recommended for me and he said that this is the best anime ever. Into 4 episodes of the show and boy i was dissapointed. I endured very hardly to watched it till the end bcos i hate doing something halfway. Nothing makes sense. And i Mean nothing. Even SAO can be reasonable with and understandable even with a little bit flaws but guilty crown just spoil everything from the beginning. You could watched it if you wanna know more. I’m not good at explaining stuff. Oh yeahh, forgot abt bunny girl senpai. Still don’t get what’s the hype abt. It’s basically monogatari recycled.

For the most underrated probably Natsume series the one dealing with yokai and Sorayori. These show are fun but there’s barely people talking about these kind of shows.
Anguish_one7Apr 19, 2019 9:53 AM
Apr 19, 2019 9:56 AM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
DYED said:

Like, dude, no worries, you can enjoy Kill La Kill for its humor and its fanservice.
You can stop pretending you need a 300 IQ to understand its "anti-objectification yada yada" message, lmfao.

I mean most of those "genre deconstructions" are usually not deconstructions and usually reconstructions or literally using every accessible tool in their genre archive. Saying it's special doesn't put it on a pedestal Becky.
Apr 19, 2019 10:11 AM

Aug 2017
thevagus said:
MadHobbit2 said:

The first ~15 episodes of the 2006 original version. I really tried to give it a chance, since other people tend to rate it so highly, but it just wasn't doing it for me so I dropped it. Why is this such a big deal to you?

That makes sense. First thirty episodes are only there to form foundation which is really important even tho it is boring. Good comedy starts after episode 34. Good story and bizzare comedy starts after benizakura arc which is from episode 48 to episode 51. Gintama is fucking bizzare after that and constantly delivers new type of humor until the end. In the end of 2015 season it has two best shonen serious arcs with lots of feels.
I won't force you or anything but just consider rewatching it when you are depressed.

Lmao back-and-forth on a fourm. I would never think i would see something like this

My biggest regret: Reading all 200+ chapters of Kanojo, Okarishimasu
Apr 19, 2019 10:12 AM

Aug 2017
DYED said:

I didn't even know there was a message in Kill La Kill other than maybe the whole "be unique" and the "even if you're not the same as everyone else you don't need to hate yourself" messages.

Apr 19, 2019 10:18 AM

Aug 2017
Overrated

• Naruto: It's just a bunch of people fighting other people,
  • Attack on Titan: It's just titans and Eren killing them.

Underrated

• Gabriel DropOut: It's cute, it's wholesome, it needs a season 2
  • Eromanga Sensei: Don't even bother trying to say it's bad

Apr 19, 2019 10:19 AM

Jul 2016
PokestarFan said:

I didn't even know there was a message in Kill La Kill other than maybe the whole "be unique" and the "even if you're not the same as everyone else you don't need to hate yourself" messages.

Every single person who ever suggested me Kill La Kill always had to throw in how the anime is a "clever and subtle parody and critique of the ecchi sub-culture because of how the concept of clothes is depicted" and bla bla bla.

I watched it and never found anything like that, but go off people.
Your favorite anime is cringe. My favorite anime is a masterpiece.

Apr 19, 2019 10:20 AM

Aug 2017
DYED said:
PokestarFan said:

Every single person who ever suggested me Kill La Kill always had to throw in how the anime is a "clever and subtle parody and critique of the ecchi sub-culture because of how the concept of clothes is depicted" and bla bla bla.

I watched it and never found anything like that, but go off people.

Exactly like nobody gives a shit I watched it because I enjoyed the ecchi and I enjoyed the plot

Apr 19, 2019 10:25 AM

Jan 2019
PokestarFan said:
Overrated

• Naruto: It's just a bunch of people fighting other people,
  • Attack on Titan: It's just titans and Eren killing them.

Underrated

• Gabriel DropOut: It's cute, it's wholesome, it needs a season 2
  • Eromanga Sensei: Don't even bother trying to say it's bad

eren only killed more actual humans than he killed titans so that plot summary is no plot summary at all xD
as far as i remember he only killed 1 titan
also thats not what the anime is about at all xD
but the plot doesnt get revealed even remotely until they reach the basement or even later so i understand this misconception people have

and eromanga sensei is pretty awesome ill have to agree
DenkiDestroy99XApr 19, 2019 10:28 AM
Apr 23, 2019 5:52 PM

Dec 2012
Underrated:

Dragon Ball (the first one): I think DB is better than DBZ. It has good fight scenes but it is also more of an adventure anime with lots of good comedy and build up.

Lucky Star: Some people hate on this. It's a very chill anime with great humour, it doesn't need a plot, similar to Nichijou. The homour is not as out there as Nichijou but it is funny in its own way. You have to watched this subbed.

Toradora: This is a great romcom anime with feels. Characters have depth, the comedy is good and the drama is good.

Overrated:

Your lie in April: To me this felt too forced and predictable.

Gintama: I've watched about 250 episodes and while it's good the comedy gets old after a while, yet all seasons have around 9 ratings.
DragonfistApr 24, 2019 9:57 AM
Apr 23, 2019 6:16 PM

Mar 2012
Black Clover is underrated. I repeat Black Clover is underrated.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
May 7, 2019 9:56 PM

Dec 2014
Angel Beats is damn overated man the only good point about this one was Otonashi.
May 9, 2019 6:53 AM
Feb 2019
Underrated:
Overlord
Most Isekai anime is overate, but honestly, idk why Overlord is underrated. Probably being an isekai makes most members do not take it seriously. Yeah, people often complain about Ainz and his servant being overpower, slow pacing, having no thrill, no characters development and stuffs. But was it an adventure of some newbie in the first place? Why we need them? Things I like most about Overlord is how the story not concentrate on Nazarick but others characters of that world. It really do makes each and every character has depth in their buildings, not just some forgettable street passing guys. While the second and third season are not really a good adaption (but good writing if you ask me), the first season is good to enjoy. Try ignoring your prejudice and watch it slowly, carefully, then give it a little thought, try to view it from the characters's view then you would know why Japaneses are so hype for it
May 9, 2019 7:05 AM

Nov 2018
Underrated:

Kujira no Kora wa Sajou ni Utau (Children of the Whales)

This was a real masterpiece that wasn't really recognized when it came out in Fall 2017. It still is sadly, with a score of 7.31 and 110,000 members on MAL.
The sound and BGM is outstanding, in addition to lovable characters and fluid animation sequences. It blew my expectations out the water and got me hooked on until the last episode.

For those who want a few heart-moving moments won't be disappointed either. All in all, I think it deserves much more attention then it already has, and this should reach more people.

Do give it a try guys..... You might find it the same way I did :)
May 9, 2019 7:58 AM

Jul 2016
OVERRATED

Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai
Please read carefully before hating me. I'm not saying that this show is shit. It's a good anime but shouldn't be on around 8.5 rating. I saw many people gave it 10/10. In my opinion, it has the supernatural phenomenons like Haruhi Suzumiya, psychological conversation like Monogatari Series, and romantic drama like Oregairu. But it just a downgraded version of their mixture. A lot of events in this show couldn't be explained logically especially Rio Futaba who tried to use scientific explanation but it still didn't make any sense. Also, many problems had been solved too easily. The causes of them are very simple, not different from other animes out there. I only enjoyed Kaede arc TBH and I prefer The Pet Girl of Sakurasou (Written by the same author) than this.

My rating: 7.5-8.0

Koe no Katachi (A Silent Voice)
This one wasn't very much overrated. I just felt like it was too rushed. But every other things are great. It might be from my overhyping for this anime. I saw Kimi no na wa (Your Name) first then a lot of people started to compare these two movies but in the end, I prefer Kimi no na wa.

My rating: 8.0

Steins;Gate 0
I'm a big fan of Steins;Gate Series and really like the original show. It was a masterpiece for me. But in S;G 0, they shouldn't adapt it into only 23 episodes. Story in the VN is very long and they just cut off it a lot to make it fits in limited eps. They just wasted a potential to make the great sequel of a masterpiece show. The last episode just saved it btw.

UNDERRATED

It's sad that most of the underrated animes are the comedy ones. Sometimes, rating is not fair when comparing with drama animes.

K-On!
K-On! is my best Slice of Life anime ever. I couldn't find many animes out there that can show us "what the actual slice of life anime is". Every moment in this show can be experienced in my daily life which made it very enjoyable. Especially if you love music, this show could be imprinted in your heart forever.

My rating: 9.0

Release the Spyce
I don't know why this show got only 7.0/10. I was quite enjoying it lol. It has good actions, some drama, catchy songs. It might has some boring episodes, too weak villain. But I still enjoyed it.

Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai! Movie: Take On Me
This is one of the best anime films I've ever watched. Everything in this series has been summed up perfectly and happily. You'll feel very satisfied after watching it (Except ones who hate the series from the start, you don't need to watch this). The movie is the best way to end this series. I love it.

My rating: 9.5-10
May 10, 2019 2:49 PM

Mar 2018
Overrated: Steins;Gate
I LOVE the show but I wouldn't expect it to be this popular. For example, a similar popularity show like Death Note. I would recommend that to anybody. But I wouldn't recommend Steins;Gate. It's popularity makes me happy but when I think of recommending it to someone idk if they will like it despite the ratings. I can't put it into words but I don't know how its in the top 3 without a cult hating on it.
May 10, 2019 6:11 PM

Jun 2017
Ah don't know why I post here definitely it's because of lack of new threads but I can't understand Kimetsu no Yaiba and Carole & Tuesday scores they have absolutely nothing, very boring. Well at least "know" why Carole & Tuesday score is this high because it's similar to Sora Yori which is another overrated anime for me but have no idea for Kimetsu no Yaiba

I think I started watching seasonals from 1 and half years ago and this is the weakest season I see until now. At least we have Hitoribocchi in this season.
Also Amazing Stranger is underrated from this season. At least it's better than Senko-san...
May 10, 2019 8:07 PM

Jul 2016
Most Overrated:
Oregairu(First and Second season), the amount of drama that this show had was totally unnecessary and useless to the characters, and those unnedded complex(and pseudo intellectual, mostly by Yukino) dialogues that in the end were just ship battles and flirting, the show went from interesting topics to a fucking waifu battle, and let's not talk about the totally forgotten drama at the start of the first season of Yui and Hachiman that could've been amazing development and was ignored cuz the author hates Yui(I'm not even a Yui fan BTW), the sad part is that the story seems like it won't change a thing in the next season, maybe will get even worse. And I can barelly remember the OST of this show, mediocre at it's best.

Most Underrated:
Sakurada Reset, that show deserves an 8 easily(let's remember that it was 6.70~ in 2017), the way that the author solved the last "boss" of the show was AMAZING, it was so well done that it almost seems like he planned it all since the start, all the pieces got together, and the OST is just one of the best.

In most cases, the MAL Average Scores don't mean anything, here is a question: were the works made before 2000 all shit?
Why are they so damn scarce in the Top 50? Think about how MAL is quite literally a filtered amount of the Anime fanbase.

Here's a timeline of the Top 15 in which you can check that, almost always, the scores are affected by the freshness, popularity and other factors that have nothing to do with quality.

May 10, 2019 9:17 PM

Jan 2016
underrated

Urusei Yatsura

my rating; 10

Re: Cutey Honey

my rating; 9

Texhnolyze

my rating; 10

☆ Black★Rock Shooter (OVA)

my rating; 9

Uchuu Senkan Yamato 2199

my rating; 9

Boku no Chikyuu wo Mamotte

my rating; 8

Densetsu Kyojin Ideon

my rating; 8

Mahou Shoujo Lyrical Nanoha

my rating; 8

Dororon Enma-kun Meeramera

my rating; 8
EggheadLunaMay 10, 2019 9:35 PM
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
May 10, 2019 9:24 PM

Jan 2016
overrated

Black Lagoon

my rating; 1

Zoku Owarimonogatari

my rating; 1

3-gatsu no Lion

my rating; 2

Flying Witch

my rating; 2

Top wo Nerae! Gunbuster

my rating; 2

Devilman: Crybaby

my rating: 3
EggheadLunaMay 10, 2019 9:32 PM
▾ Check Out My Original Series ▾

▾ Check Out My Blog ▾
May 11, 2019 7:00 AM
May 2019
My pick for overrated anime will always be Hataraku Maou-sama. Can't understand how some people find the comedy funny and the anime fun to watch while for me an episode feels like one hour or even more.

For underrated, Musaigen no Phantom World maybe because of how much people think of it as one of KyoAni's worst while for me, it was really fun to watch except maybe the Kurumi doll-thing episode but maybe that's just me lol.
May 13, 2019 11:12 AM

Jul 2016
It takes me one day to complete a 10-13 episode Anime

It takes me two days to complete a 25 episode Anime

It is now my second day of watching Haibane Renmei, I am on episode eight and I still do not get the hype. Is there a mystery? Surely. Is the mystery interesting? No.
May 13, 2019 11:17 AM

Jul 2016
Also, would say Cowboy Bebop. The show is great, but there are honestly better out there that deserve it's acclaim.
May 13, 2019 3:44 PM

Apr 2015
Arpeggio of Blue Steel is underrated, so many people avoid watching it just because it's from a Studio that uses 3D for it's anime, it's really good imo.
"Well, she's flatter than a pancake"
-Mimi Alpacas
"Woof"
-Tobiichi Origami 
"Are you trying to turn the dormitory into a strip club!?!
-Atena Saotome 
Jun 9, 2019 9:59 PM

Jun 2019
Optigisa said:
It takes me one day to complete a 10-13 episode Anime

It takes me two days to complete a 25 episode Anime

It is now my second day of watching Haibane Renmei, I am on episode eight and I still do not get the hype. Is there a mystery? Surely. Is the mystery interesting? No.

I find it interesting in and of itself that you find the mysteries so uninteresting.

There's a lot of questions you can ponder for days, but maybe it's the atmosphere that gets people interested in pondering them in the first place. It either washes over you or it doesn't. Without the premise grabbing you in the first place it will probably be a chore to watch for most people, because all that said Haibane Renmei is an extremely slow-paced show and does something not often done by mixing Slice of Life genre with the mystery and fantasy genres. This can make it, especially the first six episodes or so, feel aimless and more about navel-gazing and feeling the atmosphere over being plot-driven.
Jun 9, 2019 10:16 PM
Mar 2018
Overrated :- Bunny Girl Senpai

Has a lot of pseudoscience, no memorable OSTs and the plot is kinda average and plain stupid at times, there's a lot of dialogue as well so it gets boring as well.

Underrated : - Shuumatsu Nani Shitemasu ka? Isogashii Desu ka? Sukutte Moratte Ii Desu ka?

The characters are awesome, amazing OST, and the story is quite good, memorable ending, should have had a rating of atleast 8+
Jun 9, 2019 10:30 PM

Mar 2019
I was really surprised that Dragon Ball is actually highly rated on this website with reviews even praising it; I was under the impression that every man in the world agreed that Dragon Ball is the crème de la crème of garbage.
Steiner1411 said:
Has a lot of pseudoscience, no memorable OSTs and the plot is kinda average and plain stupid at times, there's a lot of dialogue as well so it gets boring as well.
It is complete quantumbabble with nothing behind it but I thought the plot and character interactions were really interesting and it was a welcome change from the constant "It's established in the second episode already that the two main characters clearly are developing feelings for each other but we're going to spend 20 episodes of them awkwardly denying it to themselves until they finally admit it at the end."

They were refreshingly genre-aware and casually admitted to themselves and each other that of course they were at the early stages of a developing romance.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 9, 2019 10:36 PM
Mar 2018
Sphinxter said:
]It is complete quantumbabble with nothing behind it but I thought the plot and character interactions were really interesting and it was a welcome change from the constant "It's established in the second episode already that the two main characters clearly are developing feelings for each other but we're going to spend 20 episodes of them awkwardly denying it to themselves until they finally admit it at the end."

They were refreshingly genre-aware and casually admitted to themselves and each other that of course they were at the early stages of a developing romance.

I gave 4 points just because of the interaction between them or else I'd gladly give 0, cant relate much to that "constant" of yours because I never really cared about character romances, and I rarely watch romance anime.
Jun 10, 2019 12:33 AM

Mar 2019
Steiner1411 said:
Sphinxter said:
]It is complete quantumbabble with nothing behind it but I thought the plot and character interactions were really interesting and it was a welcome change from the constant "It's established in the second episode already that the two main characters clearly are developing feelings for each other but we're going to spend 20 episodes of them awkwardly denying it to themselves until they finally admit it at the end."

I gave 4 points just because of the interaction between them or else I'd gladly give 0, cant relate much to that "constant" of yours because I never really cared about character romances, and I rarely watch romance anime.
To be fair this is like viewing a comedy series and then rating it poorly because it was all jokes and no plot when one doesn't like comedy.

The romantic development between Sakuta and Mai is kind of the most important thing of the story.

It is obvious that "obscenity" is not a term capable of exact legal definition; in the practice of the courts, it means "anything that shocks the magistrate".

— Bertrand Russell
Jun 14, 2019 1:27 AM

Aug 2012
People were talking about Bungou Stray Dogs being underrated in the 3rd season discussion. Like some said, I guess it´s actually "underhyped". You just don´t see most viewers and fans in general being loud about it. BSD is a good series with a discreet success. At least here in America.

Now, in Japan it´s quite different, but I think the reason is simple. Japanese citzens read 11 books per year in general, they respect their writers a lot. They are taught to enjoy classic literature and know the people behind the books since childhood. That´s why BSD looks even more interesting to them. I gotta say, when I started to read books like I Am a Cat, Night on the Galactic Railroad and No Longer Human, the series started to look even cooler.

Just my two cents about that thread, since it was closed and admin sent us here.

"Could you not talk with me? I'm busy breathing."
Jun 14, 2019 4:26 AM

Nov 2014
Underrated/Overlooked:

• Princess Tutu
  • Dennou Coil
  • Noein
  • Fantastic Children
  • Gankutsuou
  • Wolf's Rain
  • Shingeki no Bahamut: Genesis
  • Concrete Revolutio
  • Kanashimi no Belladonna
  • Haibane Renmei
  • The Big O
  • Giant Robo: The Day Earth Stood Still
  • RahXephon

Overrated/Overhyped:

• Ano Hana: The Flower We Saw that Day
  • Clannad
  • Overlord
  • KonoSuba
  • JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
  • Psycho Pass
  • Chuunibyo demo Koi ga Shitai
  • One Punch Man
  • Boku no Hero Academia
Jun 14, 2019 5:12 AM

Feb 2019
Overrrated:
Bunny Girl Senpai, Anohana, Kimi no Na wa and Bunny Girl Senpai again.

Bunny Girl Senpai: The more I think about the ratings this show got - some genuinely giving it a 10 - the more baffled I get. It's just your normal romance show, nothing different about it to make it that praised.

Anohana: terrible writing and plot trying to disguise itself between a few "emotional" punches that are nothing more than teenagers shouting at each other and crying about their unrequited love. Some scenes with Menma are fine, but the rest of the show ruins it.

Kimi no Na wa: I really don't get the hype behind this. Don't get me wrong, it was fine, but nothing excepcionally unique. The visuals are amazing, but the puddle deep characters holds the art back.
KosmonautJun 14, 2019 5:46 AM
Jun 14, 2019 5:31 AM
Nov 2018
Donten ni warau is so under rated. Its sad, heart wrenching and beautiful. Has anyone seen it??
Jun 14, 2019 5:39 AM

Jun 2019
Underrated no doubt: Ga-rei zero and Redline.

Overrated: any yuasa show, almost all dementia series, bunny girl sempai (nearly all of the plot ideas and points, including the "never before seen" interaction between Mai and Sakuta is done better, more satisfyingly and less holier than thou in monogatari).

Leading biologist Scott Pitnick said:
The bigger your 'nads, the smaller your brains
Jun 14, 2019 5:49 AM

Oct 2018
Let the hate begin

In my opinion, Toradora is really overrated

People are calling it one of the best romance+comedy anime, but honestly it's just really boring.

• Most of the episodes are like some filler ones. They have absolutely no purpose and they change nothing in the story.
  • The romance part of it is also terrible IMO, since it's basically nothing, it's just 90% comedy and 10% romance.
  • Also many say Taigai is the best tsundere character in anime, but she's just annoying for me.

I really like romance anime, it's one of my favorite genres, but Toradora is the most boring one I've seen so far.
Jun 14, 2019 10:35 AM

Oct 2017
Most under-rated this season can easy go to Sarazanmai.
Jun 14, 2019 11:12 AM
Nov 2017
Overrated

1. Angel beats.
Some people really love it because it is "sad". Well yes, but that is the only thing you got. The few first episodes aren't that strong and great. It had a lot of potential, and the concept is really great. But, the execution is just too terrible. Besides the "sad" part, I just got bored and bored.

2. Anohana
The same thing as Angel Beats.

3. Re:zero
Some people will say it is so good, because it is just mind-blown and the story is unpredictible. Well, that was useless if you don't have a good MC character. Seriously, the story in Re:zero isn't that dark. Maybe some people will consider it so "dark", but maybe they just never look at the real dark anime? I don't know. And the MC, Subaru is just awful. He has no personality whatsoever except he can go back in time if he die. But he's just boring, he's not funny, he has no rage, he has no phylosophy, he has nothing. Well, he actually got depressed after died more and more, but the execution of it just bad. After he goes crazy, a girl just express her love, and then he goes back to normal.

4. Kimi No Nawa
I don't understand why people really so hype into this. I like romance shows like shigatsu, but not this one. I don't get the feeling at all, I just don't really like the character, and everyone said the conceptt is good, while I just think it is like Yamada-kun with a little bit of time traveller stuff.

5. Koe No Katachi
I actually love the flashback of this movie, but only that. Well, it's still enjoyable, but not as enjoyable as 9+ score. The movie is just too rash. They just focused on Ueno (sorry if I said it wrong, it's been years since I watched it) for the antagonist, while the two guys (I don't remember their name, but they were MC's childhood friends, and I'm really sure they are important for the MC, since what we know that the MC has the same issues like the Heroine (for getting bullied), they will be "male" Ueno).

Underrated
1. Youjo senki
Maybe this anime is not for everyone, I get it, but Youjo Senki is just so underrated. In Isekai-Quartet (if you know what the show, you will get what I'm saying), Youjo Senki is my favorite shows after Konoshuba. It has a great MC with a phylosophy, it is isekai, but it tries a different thing rather than medieval with sword, armor, devil king, satan, magic, etc (well, it has magic, but the magic is clearly different than the magic from the medium of isekai).

2. Tonari no Totoro
I don't know what to say, it is just so creative and so great. Even the world that Tonari no Totoro offer is like "our world", but having an imagination big fat friend is something that make me considering about this world.

3. Mushishi
Again, another masterpiece that I'm really sure a lot of anime community, especially people who like watching ecchi-harem with romance will don't know about it. Ginko, the MC just makes me feel so Empathy to him, and the story and the concept is just so cool. It doesn't need arc or long story to make me hype. Sometimes it just makes me so mind-blown. And the best part is that it has "consequences". It is impossible to always get a good ending. You have to choose what's right, saving the first human but making the others get killed, or the opposite of it.
Jun 14, 2019 7:12 PM

Jul 2016
Aastra343 said:
Overrrated:

Bunny Girl Senpai: The more I think about the ratings this show got - some genuinely giving it a 10 - the more baffled I get. It's just your normal romance show, nothing different about it to make it that praised.

Anohana: terrible writing and plot trying to disguise itself between a few "emotional" punches that are nothing more than teenagers shouting at each other and crying about their unrequited love. Some scenes with Menma are fine, but the rest of the show ruins it.

Kimi no Na wa: I really don't get the hype behind this. Don't get me wrong, it was fine, but nothing excepcionally unique. The visuals are amazing, but the puddle deep characters holds the art back.
ironic you say that but your fav is the most overrated force and cringe drama 3gatsu no lion.

Jun 15, 2019 2:20 AM

Feb 2019
chriskor022 said:
Aastra343 said:
Overrrated:

ironic you say that but your fav is the most overrated force and cringe drama 3gatsu no lion.

You're entitled to your opinion, mate. I just can't see the irony in criticizing bad "emotional" punches like Anohana and their shouting teenagers - I suppose that's what you're referring to, since you mentioned cringe drama - while at the same time liking 3-gatsu. If you think 3-gatsu is cringe overrated drama, sure, you do you, I just can't see how all of these would be the same kind of "cringey" and therefore make it ironic for me to dislike one while liking the other.
Jun 15, 2019 3:49 AM

May 2012
"Off the top of my head":

Overrated

• Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
  • Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2
  • Kimi no Na wa.
  • Steins;Gate
  • Gintama°
  • Hunter x Hunter (2011)
  • Ginga Eiyuu Densetsu
  • Gintama'
  • Gintama': Enchousen
  • 3-gatsu no Lion 2nd Season

Underrated

• Youbi Masochist Animation
  • Prima Donna Mai
  • Offside Girl
  • Blue Seagull
  • Joshidai: Ecchi Soudanshitsu
  • Tsui no Sora (!)
  • Happy Day
  • Hi Gekiga Ukiyoe Senya Ichiya
  • Suzumi-bune
  • Takarasagashi no Natsuyasumi

Edit: Shinsekai yori is overrated due to having no real characters with a distinct personality except for Squealer. It has great world-building though, and I like the show overall.
crescensXGJun 15, 2019 3:55 AM
My Rereads | My Favorite Mangaka | Soylent Green

Buy stuff, or buy at least your favorites if you can afford it - Don't be lame.

D W-W&N 🤍

MAL is a far cry from being my main literature site, that's why I won't be doing mere single chapter updates anymore. Manga- aka Baka-Updates + 2 French ones are miles better and more thorough/complete + less restricting. The latter are perfectly suited for Manga/Light Novel/Books collectors such as myself. Less stressful/tiring this way. -g-
Jun 15, 2019 5:44 AM

Jul 2016
Aastra343 said:
chriskor022 said:

You're entitled to your opinion, mate. I just can't see the irony in criticizing bad "emotional" punches like Anohana and their shouting teenagers - I suppose that's what you're referring to, since you mentioned cringe drama - while at the same time liking 3-gatsu. If you think 3-gatsu is cringe overrated drama, sure, you do you, I just can't see how all of these would be the same kind of "cringey" and therefore make it ironic for me to dislike one while liking the other.
and your entitled with your opinion. And i find it hilarious that you say its overrated, when your fav its overrated. So feel free to argue but 3gatsu is the forced and cringey drama.

Jun 15, 2019 5:52 AM

Feb 2019
chriskor022 said:
Aastra343 said:

and your entitled with your opinion. And i find it hilarious that you say its overrated, when your fav its overrated. So feel free to argue but 3gatsu is the forced and cringey drama.

Chill out, I know you're looking for someone to argue with, but I'm not gonna give you that. The whole purpose of the thread is saying what you think is overrated/underrated. You already gave your opinion, I gave mine and that's all there's to it.
Jun 15, 2019 6:47 AM

Oct 2017
crescensXG said:
Shinsekai yori is overrated due to having no real characters with a distinct personality except for Squealer. It has great world-building though, and I like the show overall.

SSY isn't really about the characters though. It's about the world, and the themes and groups of people. I get the complaint about the characters, but I think it's often exagerrated and I don't think deep, distinctive characters are absolutely necessary for something to earn high praise. SSY does such a great job with not only world-building, but giving an atmosphere to that world. I always think it's like Ergo Proxy in a way that they both exude such a strong atmospheric pull that draws the viewer (this viewer at least) in through the use of great directing, world-building, and sound design.
“In individuals, insanity is rare; but in groups, parties, nations and epochs, it is the rule.”
-Friedrich Nietzsche
Aggregate scoring is bad for the anime fandom
Aug 3, 2019 7:36 PM
Dec 2018
I think the Precure, lyrical nanoha and Symphogear series are really underrated because of other animes like FMA, Madoka Magica, AoT, Sailor moon and Dragon ball.

Same with Aikatsu and Pripara series are underrated because love live is so much popular
HelaLoveAug 3, 2019 7:46 PM
Aug 24, 2019 2:46 AM

Dec 2018
Thanjh said:
Kimetsu no Yaiba,Dr. Stone and Shield Hero most overrated things I've seen in a while

You give vinland saga a 10 and KNY a 6 then say KNY is overrated? Even if you're rating Vinland based on the manga, that's really off. If you're not, then that rating makes no sense whatsoever

Vinland saga and AOT season 3 are the most overrated animes this seasom
Pages (85) « First ... « 51 52 [53] 54 55 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» I made a fake anime seasonal chart using AI. Which of these sounds interesting to you? ( 1 2 3 )

FFandMMfan - Apr 13

101 by FFandMMfan »»
1 minute ago

» Anime Clubs in College

Peach_Main - 15 minutes ago

1 by MadanielFL »»
2 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

29 by YN_ON »»
5 minutes ago

» Character explaining their own power to opponent is stupid, why do they do that?

Rinrinka - 2 hours ago

19 by Zimzky »»
6 minutes ago

» What old anime could become popular today?

W3TFT - Yesterday

12 by Rhaelynne »»
6 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.