Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2019 8:23 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Damn, the military got their hands full around this time again. Even with the war approaching an end, there's still a lot of tension this episode.

Also, there's even new information on the Fairy Book, which has been a fairly important part of the show now.
May 12, 2019 10:11 AM

Aug 2013
Decent episode I guess.

So there are still searching for the black fairy tome.

May 12, 2019 10:23 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
Hmm the irony of having the hero's of the war be labelled as traitors in its aftermath. With the anniversary coming up its pays to be extra vigilant. While certainly powerful the effects that the artificial fairies have on people seems to be anything but trust. Hmm a teamup of Marlya and Klara huh interesting. Their display in the bar was quite impressive. The insights into Klara's past and while she holds the boss in such high regard was pretty interesting. Overall an interesting ep that did well both in expanding upon the world and at the same time expanding upon the allies that Marlya and Free work alongside while also showing the kind of work that the agency has to take part in as well. Im quite curious on what the enemy has in store for both the black time and the seemingly malfunctioning auto fairies though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2019 11:09 AM
Mar 2015
Round up the usual suspects
May 12, 2019 12:01 PM

Jul 2017

sasuga Marlya, that's some amazing protection skills right there

Also finally Flashback simulator the anime provides a flashback that doesn't seem entirely out of place
May 12, 2019 12:19 PM

Aug 2016
Why this anime has such low ranking score? I cant get it at all. Can someone explain me?
May 12, 2019 12:30 PM

Dec 2015
From last week we know that those nobles were planning something. When they mentioned the anniversary it already was obvious that this was the date where the plan will be executed. With the malfunction we lready got to suspect those robots being involved in the plan - which has been confirmed by the noble guy smiling at the end after the ED.

Finally some plot starting.
May 12, 2019 12:50 PM

May 2018
Man the Dorothea guys weren't that smart to realize that the Artificial Fairy was hacked. The only good point around here is Marlya and Klara kicking the asses of those thugs .
May 12, 2019 4:28 PM

Apr 2018
SilentNox said:
Why this anime has such low ranking score? I cant get it at all. Can someone explain me?

Because it's clearly not good.
The main problem with Fairy Gone is the confusing and kinda boring plot with lots and lots of locations and characters names impossible to remember. I closely watched the six episodes so far, but I woudn't be able to summarize what this anime tells. The storytelling is just bad.
May 12, 2019 4:40 PM

Aug 2013
SilentNox said:

Imagine being promised a meal you've been looking forward to or something you were really interested in trying right? Then you finally sit down to enjoy the dish and all you're given are side dishes and a decent appetizer without so much as a hint of where the main part of the dish should be. Essentially image a meat and potatoes dish with only the potatoes and rice and not a single chunk of meat in sight.
Don't believe the hype.
May 12, 2019 5:00 PM
Sep 2016
DedPanda said:
SilentNox said:

Imagine being promised a meal you've been looking forward to or something you were really interested in trying right? Then you finally sit down to enjoy the dish and all you're given are side dishes and a decent appetizer without so much as a hint of where the main part of the dish should be. Essentially image a meat and potatoes dish with only the potatoes and rice and not a single chunk of meat in sight.

If that's the comparison you're going to make, Fairy Gone is a five course meal and we're just at the salad, while most anime is a giant burger from McDonalds meant to be devoured all at once
May 12, 2019 5:07 PM

Aug 2013
AquaShldEXE said:
DedPanda said:

If that's the comparison you're going to make, Fairy Gone is a five course meal and we're just at the salad, while most anime is a giant burger from McDonalds meant to be devoured all at once

Maybe, maybe not. So far this is just as misleading as the fyre festival. Fairy Gone has a lot of issues with the way it is telling its story. Given that it has 24 episodes, I'm sure it can rectify its issues hopefully by the midpoint. But as it stands, it's just running on wasted potential.
Don't believe the hype.
May 12, 2019 5:13 PM
Sep 2016
Ok, so, this is the episode that exemplifies best the problems that most people have with the series. Namely, the proper nouns that are just thrown around willy nilly like we're supposed to care. Some of them like Lay Dawn we're well acquainted with but the name at the end that was meant to be a huge reveal? Am I going to have to watch it another three times to understand who that was? I mean, I will, but you can't expect everyone to. That's the thing about this show, it kinda requires you to do a bit of homework to understand fully what's going on, but in my opinion that's its greatest strength, though I get why most people won't get it.

Also, Dorothea is portrayed as being basically strongarming thugs than competent investigators, I mean come on, no one noticed the other whistle being blown, and no one realized that it's possible to "hack" the artificial fairy with another whistle...they don't really make it clear how the artificial fairies work. I'm pretty sure that's on purpose, though. They make a point to show them harassing citizens for being slightly out of line rather than doing any actual work. Actual fairy-related crimes are probably few and far between, so when there's nothing to do, they probably just go around bullying people. I'm wondering if our main characters will stick with them, as Marlya only joined them because Free asked her to, and Free might have a conflict with siding with the nation that overthrew his home country.

Also the background, character art, and action animation was phenomenal this episode. That being said...that marlya face tho
AquaShldEXEMay 12, 2019 5:19 PM
May 12, 2019 5:23 PM

Oct 2010
Honestly fell asleep 3 times this episode
May 12, 2019 5:48 PM
Sep 2016
SilentNox said:

as someone who considers this AOTS and potentially AOTY I absolutely get why it's so polarizing. Its one major flaw is how much info and exposition it throws your way at once. Especially in this episode, all the names, countries, alliances, etc. If you're not paying attention, you'll miss them. For example, one of the last two surviving Dukes, Ray Dawn, leader of Kal-O, also has a personal connection to Marlya and Veronica as he's the one who burned down Suna, but if you don't study each episode over and over, you might miss that. And the character named at the end of this last episode doesn't really have any significance. Honestly though, once you piece the names and associations together, it's not really that complicated, but the complexity is kind of necessary to a post war drama. I have a feeling that the exposition will be mainly dumped in the first few episodes and slow down later on, as Ver and Marlya's backstories and the politics of the war have been laid out for us over time.

The flashbacks, too, most people think they get in the way of the action, but as far as anime flashbacks go, this one utilizes them well imo, with the major flashbacks happening at the beginning of the episode and the ones interrupting the action being brief and relating directly to what's happening onscreen.

There's also "bad" animation. Yes, in some spots it's legitimately bad, like the frame I pointed out earlier, but that's kinda to be expected with such an experimental style. It's not usual to have such realistic characters in a pseudo-European-American setting; even Violet Evergarden has more stylization. I really appreciate the art style but it's not really everyone's thing. The animation itself, for some reason people say it's poorly directed, and I just don't get that at all...it's some of the most realistic fantasy action I've ever seen.

Finally, the music isn't to everyone's taste, they just associate it with Linkin Park or whatever, which to each their own but imo it works surprisingly well
May 12, 2019 5:51 PM
Sep 2016
JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Man the Dorothea guys weren't that smart to realize that the Artificial Fairy was hacked. The only good point around here is Marlya and Klara kicking the asses of those thugs .

I think that's kind of the point; they're portrayed as thugs themselves, harassing people committing petty crimes when they have nothing better to do, and being dumb when it comes to Wolfran's revolution brewing under their noses, which is frankly above their pay grade. Are they really the only investigative governmental agency, though? I find that a little strange...
May 12, 2019 6:22 PM

Oct 2015
Dice is a tough nut to crack, if it wasn't for Axel things would've been difficult for them.

Loved Marlya and Klara teamwork, wished they were the main rather than Free/Marlya duo.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

May 12, 2019 6:42 PM

Sep 2017
CG flags? Seriously?

Another mediocre episode. I'm honestly getting pretty bored already of this shows structure, where they are always searching for this Black Fairy Tome. It needs to go somewhere beyond holding someone at gunpoint, retrieving a piece of paper, and determining it to be fake. Why exactly was Klara, knowing that she would probably engage in active pursuit at some point in her investigation, in a dress? I guess I can understand the whole artificial fairy thing, to cause panic or disorder before their official release, but that's about the extent of things that made sense or were properly developed/conveyed this episode.

Also, seriously, what the fuck were those CG flags? And I thought CG crowds looked bad.
May 12, 2019 8:41 PM

Mar 2016
SilentNox said:
Because it's bad?
May 12, 2019 8:51 PM

Sep 2017
I swear every episode starts with a random flashback. At this rate they shoulda made this like 4 cour and showed us the entire war. But actually it seems this will actually be a split cour instead of 24 eps. Probably for the better since the animation isn't great, especially for PA Works standards.

I find it suspect that no one would suspect the possibility that someone else could have a whistle and was controlling the fairy. Also could no one hear that or ?
May 12, 2019 10:51 PM

Feb 2015
It was explained that after the war, five dukes were named and three of them are now dead (Lay Down). Lay Down had a meeting with a man. Police had a problem with an artifical fairy, but Free, Marlya and the other artificial fairies stopped it (someone controled it), then they had a meeting with Griff Mercer and the fairies technicians. Free and Chase were investigating about the artifical fairy, when a guy named Daniel appeared to talk with Chase. Nein sent Marlya and Klara with an informant named Buz, and he revealed that a black tome was bought by a man named Dice, they both found and followed him to a train to the next station and caught him (Sweetie and Damien too). In Dorothea, Dice didn't talk. Free and Marlya encountered with Axel. Sweetie went to visit a guy named Gilbert Warlock.

This was a messy episode, so Lay Dawn is one of the dukes named after the war and he knows the guy that planned the artificial fairy incident. Also, integrating or reintegraiting names and cities again.
Atlas77Aug 15, 2019 9:51 PM
May 13, 2019 5:42 AM

Feb 2014
I could just see that Sebastian guy would spring a trap on Marlya and Klara from a mile away, just by judging his smug, ugly face, but the two girls made quick work of his weak underlings and got the necessary info out of him about the auction of the black fairy tome. Whether if it's the real one or just another fake, who knows, but I hope it's real this time.

It was also interesting to see how the five dukes were formed and how three of them ended up dead. Not everything is so peaceful after war and in some cases, old wounds tend to never heal fully...

Either way, the agent has been caught, but he's keeping his lips sealed. Now's the time for Axel to make a name for himself. =P

There was a lot to digest in this episode again, but the production values in its animation and visuals are still pretty good overall. The story is making better sense, but it still has its issues.
May 13, 2019 7:35 AM

Feb 2019
This anime has so many side characters I'm starting to get a bit lost! I loved seeing the girls put that man in his place!
May 13, 2019 10:58 AM
May 2017
Pretty slow, foreshadowing episode.
I really like that they show that the "villains" have their reasons too. From the example of the first 3 dukes, the remaining 2 know that the Empire is out for them, they are just trying to do something about it. Not everything is black and white.

JiangHaoyi1979 said:
Man the Dorothea guys weren't that smart to realize that the Artificial Fairy was hacked.

ProofByColor said:
I find it suspect that no one would suspect the possibility that someone else could have a whistle and was controlling the fairy. Also could no one hear that or ?

They said it would be quite hard for someone just figure out how to hack them, it probably means that it was an inside job.

SilentNox said:

This show is meant for a more mature audience.
This is MAL.
That's all.
May 13, 2019 12:22 PM

Mar 2019
I thought that anime would become better soon but it's already 6 episodes and everything is so slow.
May 13, 2019 1:42 PM
Mar 2019
The OST during the scene in the bar reminded me of some Cowboy Bebop. This was definitely the best episode of the series so far with the most stunning animation quality and utilization of some very unique and experimental shots. The setting and colour palette as always suits the vibe well. And not to mention we got a little backstory into Karla's character as well!
Trying to remember all the different members of each faction still seems difficult for me, but the general idea surrounding the Black Fairy Tome is enjoyable enough to continue this show.
May 13, 2019 1:54 PM

Sep 2011
The backstory about the unification, with the dukes, the prime minister and stuff, was nice. It was also nice to see Mariya and Klara working together in a mission, they were pretty capable on it. But the guy they captured refuses to speak, and it seems that Bitter Sweet might get first to the tome even though she lost the train. xD If Veronica didn't already steal it or something. lol
May 13, 2019 2:58 PM

Aug 2016
I love how supposedly non-existing secret agency Dorothea's agents just streetswalking everywhere in official uniforms, everybody recognize them and they immidiately overranking any security members in area without questions.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 13, 2019 9:25 PM

Jul 2011
Dorothea female power team, YEAH! :3

"A half moon, it has a dark half and a bright half, just like me…", Yuno Gasai
May 14, 2019 2:56 AM

May 2010
time to drop this clear as day trash show.
May 14, 2019 7:26 PM

Oct 2008
Klara is hotter than Marlya!
i have a soft spot for megane hot girls!
4/5.

May 15, 2019 9:00 AM

Aug 2018
It might better to binge this series. With such a convoluted plot and a huge cast, it’s difficult to understand what’s going on. I think it’s time to bail until a better day.
May 15, 2019 9:40 AM

May 2009
Last two epiosodes weren't awful, I guess things finally start to click.
May 15, 2019 2:24 PM
May 2017
besek said:
Maybe I'm just a dumb bitch, but I absolutely cannot wrap my head around the rules regarding the fairies: the legality, who can use them and who can't, whatever the hell a "fairy primordial" is and also they can be synthetically created as well??? This show's plot seems to be all over the place.

It is not explained fully, but there are bits of information every episode, so after a while you can piece the big picture together.
I am not aware of the full picture as well, I but have some fairly good guesses:
IMO there are different kinds of fairy soldiers. The original fairies are the Fairy Primordials. They are the small flying creatures that were in some kind of glass in the first episode. They are harmless on their own and normally they are invisible to humans.
I belive somehow throughout many-many years they possessed some animals or something (I don't think it is explained), and that resulted in animal fairies. The first fairy soldiers were created in the war of unification, they transplanted an organ from the animal fairies in humans, that's how fairy soldiers could controll the fairies, e.g. Free, Wolfran. Only 17 of these fairy soldiers survived the war. During the war these animal fairies went extinct, so this way no more fairy soldiers can be created.
But there is an another way of creating fairy soldiers, through fairy possession. This way they could use the Fairy Primordials to create more fairy soldiers. The method of this fairy possession is written down in the Black Fairy Tome, that's why everybody is after it. Maybe somehow this fairy possession thing happened to Marlya in episode 1, that's how she can control a fairy, but it is not explained at all, we will probably know more of it from the future episodes.
So I think all of Dorothea's fairy users were fairy soldiers in the war and we know that we don't know how Marlya got her fairy. They seem to be facing an awfully lot fairy users, we don't know how most of them got their fairy. Maybe some of them are ex-fairy soldiers from the war (Wolfram, and maybe a couple others), but I doubt all of them were fairy soldiers, like Veronica (but who knows, there are a total 17 fairy soldiers left, it is possible that every fairy user they met were fairy soldiers), so maybe someone is already using the Black Fairy Tome to create fairy users, maybe there is a 3rd way to make fairy users. We don't know yet.
Also there are artifical fairies. I have no clue how they are made, I don't think much about them has been shown yet.

This is my favourite thing about Fairy gone. It has a very complex story, and the way they are presenting information is not just spoon feeding everything, rather piece by piece you have to put together the puzzle, meanwhile exploring the anime's universe. This is missing from modern animes: the joy of exploring new things week by week, not just after reading the synopsis you already know 80% of the story. It is a lot more interesting than watching majority of the other shows this season that use previously laid out structures, making the story very easy to predict (if there's a story at all).
imSOuniqueMay 15, 2019 2:42 PM
May 15, 2019 5:37 PM

Apr 2018
Pretty good ep, Still searching for that book
May 16, 2019 1:39 AM
Jan 2019
They make a great duo 😍
May 17, 2019 1:34 AM

Dec 2015
Kind of a dull episode. Not sure this show is really going anywhere. Also why was this episode's "girl power" feel so obnoxiously over the top? It all felt almost as forced as that scene at the end of End Game.
May 17, 2019 4:04 AM

Jun 2013
Obviously, Dice will crack once you show him pictures of some lolis. I'm sure he a loli lover,they all are.

Honestly, I forget faces easily but a lot of the characters here are pretty unforgettable. I only remember Marlya since we see her face all the time and Wolf. I thought Bitter Sweet was Veronica in disguise running after them at the train station.
臭い-
May 19, 2019 1:33 PM

Aug 2016
AquaShldEXE said:
SilentNox said:

as someone who considers this AOTS and potentially AOTY I absolutely get why it's so polarizing. Its one major flaw is how much info and exposition it throws your way at once. Especially in this episode, all the names, countries, alliances, etc. If you're not paying attention, you'll miss them. For example, one of the last two surviving Dukes, Ray Dawn, leader of Kal-O, also has a personal connection to Marlya and Veronica as he's the one who burned down Suna, but if you don't study each episode over and over, you might miss that. And the character named at the end of this last episode doesn't really have any significance. Honestly though, once you piece the names and associations together, it's not really that complicated, but the complexity is kind of necessary to a post war drama. I have a feeling that the exposition will be mainly dumped in the first few episodes and slow down later on, as Ver and Marlya's backstories and the politics of the war have been laid out for us over time.

The flashbacks, too, most people think they get in the way of the action, but as far as anime flashbacks go, this one utilizes them well imo, with the major flashbacks happening at the beginning of the episode and the ones interrupting the action being brief and relating directly to what's happening onscreen.

There's also "bad" animation. Yes, in some spots it's legitimately bad, like the frame I pointed out earlier, but that's kinda to be expected with such an experimental style. It's not usual to have such realistic characters in a pseudo-European-American setting; even Violet Evergarden has more stylization. I really appreciate the art style but it's not really everyone's thing. The animation itself, for some reason people say it's poorly directed, and I just don't get that at all...it's some of the most realistic fantasy action I've ever seen.

Finally, the music isn't to everyone's taste, they just associate it with Linkin Park or whatever, which to each their own but imo it works surprisingly well

Thanks for answer, sorry for taking so long to reply, i wasn't expecting to reacive anything for my question.

I can agree that plot development here is kinda slow, but for 24 episodes length title having dedicated fourth of it into exposition is okay to me. To be honest, i cant recall a moment where i was really bored while watching series. Yes, there was some uninteresting scenes but overall pacing is really steady. Though, i dont really expect any revelations and strong plot twists later, this title seems like it's slowly unraveling the story given it's initial premises.

Me also consider this anime strong points is it's unusual visual style, yeah, there can be weird facial expressions but if u take a random shot of a real life person, not expecting to be photographed, there's good chance that it will be even more weird. Setting is also feeling fresh, not so many works use western style. And action scenes here are really good, animation is well choreographed, fights are enetertaining to watch, each person uses it's own unique combat style.
Just like you, i cant see where someone seen bad animation.

Overall, for me it seems like very solid anime with no really weak points and which is doing good job in each episode i watched so far.

The musing for me also seems realtively good and it fits to the overall mood of the show.
Jun 8, 2019 6:20 PM

May 2015
Five dukes...two left. One of them is Ray Dawn. These dukes planning on starting a new war?

They're controlling Zerns with whistles? Wouldn't vocal commands be much more suitable? What happens if they lose the whistle?

Well they caught Dice. Kind of weird for Klara to run around unarmed. If she confronted Dice first, Dice would probably just run away. Fortunately Marlya had a gun...
Jun 9, 2019 12:49 AM
EOussama

Dec 2016
It felt as though nothing happens in these episodes. As if I'm playing through a Hitman mission but with no successful progress.
Jun 18, 2019 4:59 PM

Aug 2017
They are still searching for the Black Fairy Tome. We know more about the glasses girl.

Yeah, more annoying flashbacks. Well, a bit better than the last episode but still a lot of information to digest...idk.
Daddy Free and hot glasses guy need more screen time. That's all I want from this show.

NurguburuJun 18, 2019 6:39 PM
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Jun 20, 2019 11:02 PM
Sep 2016
Looking back, this is definitely the episode where the show took a nosedive. The directing is just terrible, and it doesn't really improve later on. Specifically, the whistle. Why are we shown the saboteur? More importantly, why does he play a super obvious lower melody that for some reason the other characters are unable to hear? Most importantly, why does it take them TWO MORE EPISODES, an entire WEEK in in-universe time, to figure out what was going on?

This specific flaw makes me certain that the show switched writers/directors in between episodes 5 and 6. Because in episode 4, merely 2 episodes ago, the characters' awareness was perfectly consistent. At the end of episode 4, Jonathan hides just out of the line of sight of Marlya, as well as the camera. That is, the VIEWER knew as much information as the CHARACTER, and this is intentionally used to have Jonathan move in an unexpected, almost supernatural way. Compare that to this episode where the VIEWER learns immediately what's going on when the artificial fairies are being sabotaged, and the CHARACTERS are completely clueless. To the point where they're actually freaking deaf to the different freaking WHISTLE. I sincerely hope that the second season is more put together to this because for the past month and a half I've been watching my previous favorite show of the season go down in flames.
Jan 8, 2020 6:10 AM

Jul 2015
I feel like they should have kept the saboteur a secret instead of showing him so that it would come as a bigger surprise once the trick has been revealed.

I wonder why the mother and daughter didn't just ran away or why Marlya didn't push them aside, the artifical fairy just stood there shaking with that giant blade

Feb 13, 2021 9:11 PM
Oct 2019
wasn't the best chase scene/sequence. and was it me or did the bag look like it was a reddish brown in one shot but black in the next? why did he give that kid a snack?

the little magic puppy still has no role

I'm surprised axel is still alive. I thought somebody had discovered his dead body

and clearly that prime minister(?) guy was the one the orchestrated the fake fairy incident, but how? why?

this story's a lot more complex than one would expect. I doubt everything gets answered by the end. (tbd if I like that or not)
HagePotPotatoFeb 13, 2021 9:15 PM
Aug 15, 2021 5:19 AM

Feb 2018
Director Nein looked cool. Agent Dice was able to avoid the duo for all the train trip but once he got off to the train station/town he couldn't hide at all huh ^

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - May 5, 2019

51 by Thewatcher_22 »»
Feb 18, 2022 9:11 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 23, 2019

72 by JaniSIr »»
Jan 23, 2022 7:58 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 16, 2019

65 by JaniSIr »»
Jan 23, 2022 7:18 AM

» Is this worth watching?

removed-user - Oct 7, 2021

6 by Pangolin44 »»
Nov 3, 2021 8:26 AM

Poll: » Fairy Gone Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 9, 2019

51 by Kap92 »»
Aug 15, 2021 5:20 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.