Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »
May 12, 2019 11:38 AM

Jul 2015
Amazing Episode i really enjoyed every bit of it,the CGI Collossal Titan was not good(i had expected it) but everything else was top notch,the best part was definitely the nuke like explosion that Bertoolt caused and it's aftermath

Bertoolt was the MVP of this episode.

Marco's death scene was really sad,they really brought out the feelings.

May 12, 2019 11:43 AM
Oct 2018
Another very good episode!
Character drawings are still gorgeous. Good use of ost, i love the new version of youseebiggirl.
Bertholdt is easily the mvp of the episode. Man he changed a lot, he can think and decide on his own now.
Overall, this episode conveyed the manga very well, you can feel the tension and the hopelessness of squad levi.
May 12, 2019 11:47 AM

Feb 2013
Poor Marco, he had to hear that conversation.
May 12, 2019 11:49 AM

Mar 2018
Why the hell were they crying over Reiner after everything he's done?!
May 12, 2019 11:52 AM
Jul 2018
new remixes of APETITAN and YouSeeBIGGIRL were godly af omggg
May 12, 2019 11:54 AM

Mar 2014
Here I was waiting an entire week to finally see Reiner dead and he's STILL NOT DEAD after being impaled by swords and having his head blown to bits, I mean jeez at some point there needs to be some sort of progress. Not sure how many more "almost defeated Reiner" scenes I can handle.
May 12, 2019 11:57 AM

Jul 2014
Pretty solid episode with the flashbacks explaining Marco's death and solidifying Bertholdt's motivations, but what is actually the point of Reiner still being alive? The cliffhanger made it obvious that he would be, but it's still totally stupid; this whole thing about how Reiner can move his consciousness across his body to survive is probably the dumbest piece of writing this show has ever come up with (and not just because it came completely out of nowhere earlier this season).
May 12, 2019 12:02 PM
Aug 2016
I forgot a lot of details so it was nice to see this happening again. Also, with knowing more of Beast Titans's motivations right now, it does shed quite a different light on the 'everyone must die' talk.

Also can't remember Reiner was actually talking about 'race' already at this point? Yet again interesting to see these hints popping up.

And people complainging again about CGI and animation *yawn*
Sometimes I really wonder what kind of (unreasonable) stadards they have.
May 12, 2019 12:05 PM

Mar 2014
godly ost for a godly episode. Man the hype is real, I haven't felt this excited since the Reiner/ Bertholdt reveal. I truly have no idea how they're gonna survive against the Colossal Titan, given that the Beast Titan is an equally significant threat. Also kinda disappointed that Reiner didn't die but oh well. The CGI is gonna take a while to get used to, but in the close ups it's 2d animation so it's all right. That short fight between Bertholdt and Mikasa was really cool.

Marco's flashback was really interesting, I also loved how Annie seemed torn and anguished, we haven't had much insight into her thoughts after the female titan revelation anyways

Next ep can't come soon enough!
May 12, 2019 12:08 PM
May 2019
Holy fuck the colossal titan looks terrible. I actually didn't mind it that much in Season 2 so idk why I'm so turned off by it now.. did it get worse? All I could think of was the CGI in Courage the Cowardly Dog lol.

It was a good episode aside from that, but I'm still disappointed overall. Since S3 started, the animation has been so inconsistent and everything just doesn't feel as satisfying as S1 and S2 did. So many scenes looked much better in my head as a manga reader, and now they're kinda ruined :/

Also what's up with their OST timing? I mean the songs on their own are amazing because Sawano is a god, but the way they're using them seems off. They either choose unfitting ones for intense moments, or overuse every hype song in a span of a few minutes like this episode. Chill pls...
May 12, 2019 12:09 PM
Sep 2018
I don't mind the CGI, we should get something new in every episode and to make it different from the other seasons. I somehow want some new ost.
Overall, great eps.

shayed__ said:
unfortunately disappointed. Not with the story but with everything else. the production is really lackluster, we only get like 1 or 2 nicely animated scenes in 1 episode which is not much. The cgi colossal breaks my immersion too hard. Not even the close ups or the stills are 2d anymore no hes completely 3d. Also the ost's didnt really catch me so far. Could be because of some miss placements and bad timings.

As a manga reader, the only hype and great eps is the first episode. It was mind blowing. And since I've already known what would gonna happen, the other two eps aren't really met my expectation. But the talks actually good to build the tension.

Mod Edit: Added spoiler tags; please hide plot details.

Mod Edit: Removed quote of deleted post.
DeadlyRavenMay 12, 2019 7:03 PM
May 12, 2019 12:12 PM

Dec 2014
Great episode as always.

That was super intense and damn the soundtrack is just fantastic.

It's a shame they had to retort to CGI for the colossal titan but I don't think it's bad enough to take away from the rest of the show.

They keep talking about how humanity inside the wall needs to die cause that's what's been decided, probably some masterplan at work I guess. Though it begs the question of whether a different type of humanity exists outside the walls.

Poor Marco though, he was in the wrong place in the wrong time. :(
May 12, 2019 12:13 PM

Jun 2015
The CGI-Tita... eh I mean Colossal Titan is back!
May 12, 2019 12:17 PM
Apr 2019
shayed__ said:
unfortunately disappointed. Not with the story but with everything else. the production is really lackluster, we only get like 1 or 2 nicely animated scenes in 1 episode which is not much. The cgi colossal breaks my immersion too hard. Not even the close ups or the stills are 2d anymore no hes completely 3d. Also the ost's didnt really catch me so far. Could be because of some miss placements and bad timings.
yeah u can leave this anime.spare us!
May 12, 2019 12:17 PM

Mar 2017
Shingeki no Kyojin is so much better without Eren on the screen
May 12, 2019 12:23 PM

Sep 2017
Ahhh man god damn. Of course Reiner is not dead. The extent of this transfer conscience thing that came up last episode is pretty bs-y. Well whatever, we got lots of fight left. Some of these fuckers on the titan side need to die.

That flashback tho. Rip Marco; you didn't deserve that. Bertolt has gone total savage tho. I really hope Hange survived that. No idea how they are gonna take him down.
May 12, 2019 12:23 PM
May 2016
tokidoki921 said:
Why the hell were they crying over Reiner after everything he's done?!

Did you not watch the first 2 seasons? Reiner was practically the group's big brother-figure, of course they have to kill him but that doesn't mean it feels any less like they're putting the gun to someone they actually knew and looked up to.

Atavistic said:
Pretty solid episode with the flashbacks explaining Marco's death and solidifying Bertholdt's motivations, but what is actually the point of Reiner still being alive? The cliffhanger made it obvious that he would be, but it's still totally stupid; this whole thing about how Reiner can move his consciousness across his body to survive is probably the dumbest piece of writing this show has ever come up with (and not just because it came completely out of nowhere earlier this season).

Why is it dumb in particular? It doesn't go against anything about the titans we've learnt so far. If anything it makes sense we'd learn this from Reiner/Bert given they've spent more time living as titans and know their ins and outs far better. There's so much about Titan physiology that seems nonsensical but still fits for the show, like how gigantic fleshy beings like them can decompose like nothing after they die or the whole thing about Titan regeneration in general. Plus it wouldn't be fitting at all for Reiner to die here.
May 12, 2019 12:24 PM

Jun 2016
not prepared for the depression that'll be possessing me after next episode. T__T the preview was already heartbreaking enough.
May 12, 2019 12:25 PM
Apr 2016
Ugh oh, took me some time to figure out, but according to the opening sequence Erwin is not going to make it past this season. Salute in advance, best supporting character I have ever seen.
Re:formed
May 12, 2019 12:30 PM

Apr 2017
holy shit what an episode! bert's VA did such a great job with capturing his emotions and that bertbomb was everything i could have wanted! reiner and bert's "see ya later, i'm counting on you buddy" absolutely destroyed me in the manga and seeing it animated killed me. anime-onlie's y'all ain't ready.

watching marco's demise again was just cruel.....hurts me more every time.

seeing and hearing zeke was kinda weird for me ngl, prolly bc i imagine him sounding so different from what he actually does.

phxntomhiveghoulMay 12, 2019 12:38 PM
May 12, 2019 12:32 PM

May 2017
NakolHira said:
shayed__ said:

why would I leave one of my all time favorite animes just because the adaptation is not as great as I hoped it would be ?
May 12, 2019 12:33 PM

Nov 2016
They did Marco dirty...like, really dirty.

Another great episode overall. The raw hype in AoT, there's still nothing like it. Even among the best action series, most of them are honestly nothing in direct comparison, mainly due to the outstanding soundtrack imo. And that's still merely the build up for the climax.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 12, 2019 12:46 PM
Apr 2019
shayed__ said:
NakolHira said:

why would I leave one of my all time favorite animes just because the adaptation is not as great as I hoped it would be ?
sorry man...then I suggest u to down ur expectation.I think people are extremely expecting some unexpected scenes..It's an anime which is popular because of the plot,the characters and awesome scenarios.Expecting it a "milepost" anime,,it’s just too much! It can sure be one..but u can't expect so high"
May 12, 2019 12:50 PM

Feb 2008
Of course this post would be infestated with complaints about the 3DCG on the colossal titan. I didn't like it either, but I am not even annoyed by it. Don't know why it's even such a big deal to be honest.

The friggin music once again. Sawano does it again, even if they are just remixes with vocals. My hands are cold and freezing because the atmosphere is so thin during these episodes, and the music has a lot to do with this. Incredible

I can't even recognize Bertholt anymore. Almost defeating Mikasa in a 1v1, forgetting about Annie for some minutes, confronting Armin and beating the frick off Hange squad.

I guess that's it for Hange's bodyguard, right? I really liked that dude. Can't wait for next week.
"Manga readers are annoying, all they do is complain or spoil the anime we discuss in an anime forum. They should really do their whining at manga forums."

Stolen from Janethan23. Add in visual novel readers too
May 12, 2019 12:51 PM
Jul 2018
It was so sad to see Marco's death animated but the worst comes in the next episode, although we'll get to see levi in action I still don't feel like watching it ;(
May 12, 2019 1:01 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
People might as well accept that the fabulous good ole days of beautiful hand drawn 2D only TV series are well and truly gone. Only films or shorts can justify doing full 2D action scenes.

ON another note, this episode reminded me of why I disliked Berthold and Reiner so much. Poor Marco. And Berthold's ridiculous answer to Armin's plea accentuates that dislike. Don't @ me on this.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 12, 2019 1:07 PM
Jul 2018
Can we just overlook the CGI colossal titan? I'm tired of seeing 'disappointed with this and that' after each episode airs. Talk about the soundtrack, it's lit af in this episode but all you guys can do is complain about CGI
May 12, 2019 1:11 PM
Oct 2017
Marco don’t look back just run as fast as you can if you don’t want to die but then😂
May 12, 2019 1:18 PM

Apr 2015
laviha said:
Can we just overlook the CGI colossal titan? I'm tired of seeing 'disappointed with this and that' after each episode airs. Talk about the soundtrack, it's lit af in this episode but all you guys can do is complain about CGI

I agree and the colossal titan only appeared at the end of the episode..

I still hate Bertholdt but his character development was amazing to see. And now I miss Annie even more.
The preview of the next episode made me realize of what's coming and I just didnt want to see that part, it's gonna be the worst. :(
May 12, 2019 1:22 PM

Feb 2014
Reiner did exactly what i thought last week now the only the question is he stuck as titan or can he heal his human body and transfer his consciousness back
May 12, 2019 1:26 PM

Apr 2015
laviha said:

While I agree that some people get too hung up on that particular aspect, I do not share this sentiment of "quit complaining about it, praise stuff instead". We're not in some sort of echo chamber here where negative opinions are excluded for the sake of people who can't deal with that.
May 12, 2019 1:28 PM
Jan 2018
laviha said:

It's Not like complaining is going to do anything . Animes will continue to use it if people like it or not.

Anime has used it for years now it's not going away anytime soon
May 12, 2019 1:31 PM
Aug 2018
Personally, I loved this season so far despite some bits being eh and meh. I just wished the higher ups of WIT Studio didn't cram so many projects for the animators to do and primarily focus on Shingeki No Kyojin instead . What do you guys think?
May 12, 2019 1:37 PM

Jun 2016
xXrosaliciousXx said:
Personally, I loved this season so far despite some bits being eh and meh. I just wished the higher ups of WIT Studio didn't cram so many projects for the animators to do and primarily focus on Shingeki No Kyojin instead . What do you guys think?
I agree, S1 and S2 were perfectly handled by WIT, S3 is inconsistent but still a 10/10.
May 12, 2019 1:38 PM
Mar 2019
laviha said:

Welcome to the MAL community, where people act like certified detective experts over anime
May 12, 2019 1:40 PM
Jul 2018
Fappa said:
laviha said:

While I agree that some people get too hung up on that particular aspect, I do not share this sentiment of "quit complaining about it, praise stuff instead". We're not in some sort of echo chamber here where negative opinions are excluded for the sake of people who can't deal with that.

Alright they can complain but honestly is complaining all they can do? They are ignoring all the other good parts of the episode just because of the CGI and how come they still can't get over it after seeing it so many times
May 12, 2019 1:49 PM
Jul 2018
shayed__ said:
NakolHira said:

Then you spent too much time daydreaming about an adaptation.
May 12, 2019 2:02 PM
Mar 2019
CaptainBallerina said:
There is a mistake in the scene after Mikasa threw her blade. After she threw her right blade towards bertholt, naturally she lost the right blade. But then when she started running, the blade was still there. And after that when she was speaking with Armin the right handle was still empty. Good job.

P.S. too lazy to add images

Or maybe she pulled another one out? They have multiple blades
May 12, 2019 2:27 PM
Mar 2019
CaptainBallerina said:
I thought about that too but after that frame the right handle was empty (when she was speaking with Armin). There is no logic nor time to draw a blade and sheathe it again in that little intense period of time.

Eh, its still a good episode..I just wish people would talk about how they enjoyed it more is all. Like, you can voice your complaints, but when the thread is filled with nothing but them, and barely anyone talking about how they like the episode each week, it gets tiring as hell.
May 12, 2019 2:28 PM

Feb 2014
At long last, they finally show how Marco got killed. He was just in the wrong place at the wrong time when he overheard Reiner and Bertholt's secret plan and his sharp thinking made him convinced that they weren't joking about. To confirm that, Reiner pins him to the ground, orders the terrified Annie to remove his ODM gear and leave Marco at the mercy of a titan, who ate him.

Even though they left him to die, Reiner, Bertholt and Annie still had terrified expressions on their face as Marco got eaten. It sums up how powerful the whole scene was from start to finish.

Bertholt's moves really swung the tide of the fight in favour of the titans. The negotiations with Armin fell apart quickly and he actually held his own against Mikasa briefly before quickly moving on and transforming, catching Hange's squad in the transformation blast. I really hope her squad is okay. D=

No surprise that the anti-3D CGI brigade have made their complaints known, AGAIN, about the Colossal Titan being in 3D, but I'm not really bothered by it anymore. Sure, some of his movements felt a bit too stiff while other scenes were actually alright, but it's not as bad as others say about it.

I doubt things are going to get any better for Erwin's squad at this rate, and the preview only makes it sound like they're going to suffer more as well. I'm still pumped up for the next episode either way, though. =)
May 12, 2019 2:29 PM
Dec 2013
Ah, so that's how Marco died... Reiner, Bertholdt and Annie all played a part in his death because Marco overheard Reiner and Bertholdt's conversation. Those bastards! And it was pretty reckless for them to have that convo outside instead of indoors. They just assumed that it was just them two around when that wasn't the case.

And looks like the thunder spears seemed to have failed in killing Reiner, unfortunately.
wildhoodMay 13, 2019 2:55 AM
May 12, 2019 2:38 PM

Mar 2016
The art is not that good anymore. It doesn't resemble the past seasons as much, and also does a worse job telling the story.

The colossal titan looks quite awful. I am okay with 3d backgrounds, but I really don't like 3d characters in a 2d anime. Plus, the model that they used looks horrible, the texture has an uncomfortable amount of details and the rigging looks lazy. I know WIT studio can do better, so I wish they would.

The flashback was done quite well. Looked like Marco's actor had a slightly difficult time to get back into character after so many years. However, Annie's actress did a fantastic job. It felt as if she'd never left.

Hope the fights end by episode 5 or 6. I really want to see the inside of the basement. Because of how faithful this adaptation is, I think they will do a good job with the revelation.
May 12, 2019 2:43 PM
Mar 2019
FuMomo-kun said:
The art is not that good anymore. It doesn't resemble the past seasons as much, and also does a worse job telling the story.

The colossal titan looks quite awful. I am okay with 3d backgrounds, but I really don't like 3d characters in a 2d anime. Plus, the model that they used looks horrible, the texture has an uncomfortable amount of details and the rigging looks lazy. I know WIT studio can do better, so I wish they would.

The flashback was done quite well. Looked like Marco's actor had a slightly difficult time to get back into character after so many years. However, Annie's actress did a fantastic job. It felt as if she'd never left.

Hope the fights end by episode 5 or 6. I really want to see the inside of the basement. Because of how faithful this adaptation is, I think they will do a good job with the revelation.

Yeah, no spoilers but I think all this will be resolved in episode 5 with the pacing
May 12, 2019 2:44 PM

Feb 2018
I guess i'm one of the few people who thought the CG looked good .
7soMay 12, 2019 2:51 PM
May 12, 2019 2:59 PM

Nov 2017
Magnificent episode!

Marco's flashback is CRAZY! The CGI does not bother that he has "missed". I find it even successful.
ElyshionDec 13, 2019 3:09 PM
May 12, 2019 3:31 PM

Jan 2017

Hold up. Did half the characters just die. Killed indiscriminately, is this why they compared AoT to GoT. This shouldn't have happened. Not in this way. I wanted something a little more hard-hitting
May 12, 2019 3:40 PM

Sep 2014
Im pretty sure they arent all dead, but how could Armin know? He has to work with what he got.

These episodes always feel way too short. Its like a movie cut in 10 pieces so far. Definitely going to enjoy it when I rewatch the series.

Was there this kind of explosion when Berthold transformed in season 1 as well? Maybe it was from the fall, who knows.

Finally we got a nice shot of Mikasa again. It feels like she had barly any screentime since season 1
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
May 12, 2019 3:47 PM

Aug 2013
That CGI titan's straight outta my nightmares
May 12, 2019 3:47 PM
Mar 2015
The Titans just want to kill everyone inside the walls
May 12, 2019 3:48 PM

Jun 2015
They ganged up on poor Marco!

That's a tight situation in there. I wonder what they will do.
If you are going to disagree with me, don't bother talking to me. I will seriously hurt you!
Pages (8) « 1 [2] 3 4 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2019

458 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 6:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.