Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
May 11, 2019 5:41 AM

Feb 2017
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
This was amazing episode! We fully got to see how Marco died and I was sad again. Really liked Reiner and Bertolt talk. Also, the four-legged titan has weird voice.

I expected Colossal to look worse. Really hyped for the next episode!

May 11, 2019 6:13 AM

Mar 2016
For those wondering the episode was leaked in Spanish with shitty quality but if you read the manga there's not really a problem.

CGI Bert is meh honestly. They should've definitely gone with 2D animation in some scenes... But boi... That titan transformation was top notch. It wasn't enough to have a remake of Attack on Titan how about a remake of YouseeBigGirl? Fucking lit.
Also, the preview for next episode is also the most spoiler-ish we've had.
azertz99May 12, 2019 9:12 AM
May 11, 2019 6:14 AM
Mar 2019
tzarye14 said:
CGI Bert is meh honestly. They should've definitely gone with 2D animation in some scenes... But boi... That titan transformation was top notch.
The preview for next episode is also the most spoiler-ish we've had.

I think the 3d environment makes the ODM gear shots more immersive imo, if it was just 2d we would have still shots of people flying with the gear like in season 2
May 11, 2019 6:17 AM

Mar 2016
nanidatosama97 said:
tzarye14 said:
CGI Bert is meh honestly. They should've definitely gone with 2D animation in some scenes... But boi... That titan transformation was top notch.
The preview for next episode is also the most spoiler-ish we've had.

I think the 3d environment makes the ODM gear shots more immersive imo, if it was just 2d we would have still shots of people flying with the gear like in season 2
A scene I would've liked to see in 2D was when he rouse up as the Colossal Titan. In 3D it was pretty weird to watch.
May 11, 2019 6:18 AM
Mar 2019
tzarye14 said:
nanidatosama97 said:

A scene I would've liked to see in 2D was when he raised up as the Colossal Titan. In 3D it was pretty weird to watch.

Eh, well, animating something THAt flippin huge with todays animation budget issues in 2d, with the scenes they have to animate, would make wit go broke pretty fast tbh, im fine with bert being cg as long as other titans like eren, reiner, beast, etc arent cg
May 11, 2019 6:25 AM

Mar 2016
nanidatosama97 said:
tzarye14 said:
A scene I would've liked to see in 2D was when he raised up as the Colossal Titan. In 3D it was pretty weird to watch.

Eh, well, animating something THAt flippin huge with todays animation budget issues in 2d, with the scenes they have to animate, would make wit go broke pretty fast tbh, im fine with bert being cg as long as other titans like eren, reiner, beast, etc arent cg
The problem here isn't budget. It never was for Attack on Titan. The key point is time. That's why they use cg. Since big things move slower they need more frames which instantly costs more time to the production, something that WIT animators rarely have. If they had I'm pretty sure they would animate it 2D. The same would've gone for Rod Reiss' mindless titan form.
May 11, 2019 6:27 AM
Mar 2019
tzarye14 said:
nanidatosama97 said:

The problem here isn't budget. It never was for Attack on Titan. The key point is time. That's why they use cg. Since big things move slower they need more frames which instantly costs more time to the production, something that WIT animators rarely have. If they had I'm pretty sure they would animate it 2D. The same would've gone for Rod Reiss' mindless titan form.

True, but still, as long as it keeps the other titans from being full on CG, im a happy camper.
May 11, 2019 7:06 AM

Jan 2009
i saw the leak raw too just now

nice to see Annie again and they finally revealed how they killed Marco

so the nuclear explosion transformation of the Colossal Titan is the reported sakuga made by a legendary effects expert animator right? if so not bad and gonna check the sakuga community twitter on that one

and im sure a lot will be disappointed by the 3DCG Colossal Titan but he is like that for much of his appearances on this anime show besides the early episodes in the first season anyway

May 11, 2019 7:08 AM
Jun 2017
this ep was CRAZY,one of the best episodes in shingeki in terms of adaptation,better than season 1 as a whole,the CG was very good,wit studio did what they could,thank you wit:)
(i don't mean to overhype people,it's just my opinion)
May 11, 2019 7:22 AM

Jan 2009
tzarye14 said:
nanidatosama97 said:

finally someone gets it

the fact that this part of season 3 is delayed is showing they do not have enough time

and heck because of anime overproduction this days and lack of talented animators too means there is not enough talented animators to make the huge number of anime every year and let alone have enough time for the most part so 3DCG while still more expensive than 2D is needed just to meet the deadline of airing date

i blame the shitty production committee more (the real owners of any anime) for why they do not give enough time for anime production
May 11, 2019 7:41 AM

Aug 2012
Colossal Titan CGI was good and bad.
There were 2 horrible scenes. The last one with Erwin looking at him. And that one were they close up on his face and show his body.
The rest was ok and acceptable.
May 11, 2019 8:06 AM

Jan 2018
CGI colossal fucking ugly, the rest is great.
BARK BARK BARK ARRRGGFFF WOOF WOOF WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK BARK HSSSSSSSSS SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRR RUFF RUFF WOOF WOOF WOOF SNARL BITE BITE BARK CHOMP SNIFF SNIFF GRRRRRRRRRR RUFF WOOF BARK BARK BARK BARK ARGGGHHFFFF BITE BITE BITE WOOF HSSSSSSS GRRRROWWWL HOWLLL WOOF WOOF BARK BARK BARK ARGGGGRRRFFF BITE WOOF WOOFBARK BARK HSSSS CHOMP GRRRRR
May 11, 2019 10:11 AM

Oct 2013
I was shock to see it was leaked, I watched it and this was the best episode so far, the soundtrack was on point. About the collosal titan, at this point we know its going to be CG, but it wasn't so bad.
May 11, 2019 10:37 AM

Jul 2012
If I were to nitpick some stuff, there were like two or three bad CGI shots with the Colossal Titan, but other than that, quite the phenomenal episode all around.

This arc's adaptation thus far has been amazing, waiting weekly is starting to become a bit hard, makes me just want to reread the manga at that (which I would personally recommend to anyone tbh, the amount of clever foreshadowing in this series is absurd during a second reading through).
May 11, 2019 10:58 AM
May 2017
deg said:

so the nuclear explosion transformation of the Colossal Titan is the reported sakuga made by a legendary effects expert animator right? if so not bad and gonna check the sakuga community twitter on that one

and im sure a lot will be disappointed by the 3DCG Colossal Titan but he is like that for much of his appearances on this anime show besides the early episodes in the first season anyway

Actually Hashimoto didn't worked on this episode surprisingly, apparently he will be involved in ep.54 along with Imai!! And as for the Colossal titan, the reason why he was in 2D in S1 is cuz those scenes were pre-animated, also WIT had a lot of talented animators back than
May 11, 2019 3:02 PM
Jun 2016
I don't get why the Colossal Titan has to be in CGI. The soldiers and their vertical maneuvering equipment have much more lines to draw.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 11, 2019 4:31 PM
Mar 2019
DupeusT31 said:
I don't get why the Colossal Titan has to be in CGI. The soldiers and their vertical maneuvering equipment have much more lines to draw.

Because, as someone else pointed out to me, animating something that big that moves that slow takes a lot of time and focus with the frames, and a few month time span isnt really all that easy. I suggest watching a behind the scenes with how animating works in japan, or watch a anime called Shirobako, it gives you insight on the madness of the production schedule hell
May 11, 2019 5:50 PM
May 2016
I've doomposted myself enough to get ready to face the CGI Colossal but I'm relieved to hear it sounds like it won't actually be that bad.
Keep in mind that while the CGI Colossal was derpy in a few scenes in season 2, it led to us getting THIS https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/38382 which I'd wager wouldn't have been possible without the usage of the CG model. Hopefully we'll get an equivalent of spectacle this season.
May 11, 2019 5:52 PM
May 2016
Edylson said:
deg said:

Actually Hashimoto didn't worked on this episode surprisingly, apparently he will be involved in ep.54 along with Imai!! And as for the Colossal titan, the reason why he was in 2D in S1 is cuz those scenes were pre-animated, also WIT had a lot of talented animators back than

What? This episode wasn't the one he was working on? And Imai's joining him for 54?! Jesus, I was certain it was gonna be this ep considering Bert's nuclear transformation. Mind refreshing my memory on what ep 54 has that could be considered worthy of pure sakuga treatment from those two?
May 11, 2019 6:06 PM

Oct 2013
Modernoir said:
Edylson said:

What? This episode wasn't the one he was working on? And Imai's joining him for 54?! Jesus, I was certain it was gonna be this ep considering Bert's nuclear transformation. Mind refreshing my memory on what ep 54 has that could be considered worthy of pure sakuga treatment from those two?

Manga spoiler.

May 11, 2019 6:42 PM
Jul 2018
Can people shut the fuck up about the CG? Just imagine trying to animate that thing by hand. Id lose my mind.
May 11, 2019 8:30 PM

Oct 2017
The Colossal Titan was as I expected, and it was bad. But the rest of the episode was great. Plus, the CGI Colossal Titan doesn't bother me much.

Though, the preview... they literally spoiled everything in it.
May 11, 2019 9:28 PM
Aug 2015
ABDoesThings said:
Can people shut the fuck up about the CG? Just imagine trying to animate that thing by hand. Id lose my mind.

Yup, no need to put your absolute best in your work simply because it's hard. The Colossal Titan doesn't even move so much and they did it extremely fucking well in the first season, so I don't get the point in switching to CGI.
May 11, 2019 9:57 PM

Apr 2019
Modernoir said:
I've doomposted myself enough to get ready to face the CGI Colossal but I'm relieved to hear it sounds like it won't actually be that bad.
Keep in mind that while the CGI Colossal was derpy in a few scenes in season 2, it led to us getting THIS https://www.sakugabooru.com/post/show/38382 which I'd wager wouldn't have been possible without the usage of the CG model. Hopefully we'll get an equivalent of spectacle this season.

that looks amazing honestly
You son of a .. turtle

May 11, 2019 10:45 PM

Nov 2011
Marco will be missed...even now, I still remember him despite not being as prominent as the main characters.

I don't mind the CG, kinda got used to it from the previous seasons. The storytelling was important for sure this episode.
May 12, 2019 12:31 AM
Jun 2015
Just wait for a better resolution release before talk about the art (expecially CGI): from previous week episode, Reiner vs Eren looks waaaaaay better in 720p
May 12, 2019 12:42 AM

Jan 2018
Watched it around 20 hours ago but holy shit this was probably my favourite episode in the entire show so far. This was definitely Bertholt's episode, and no one elses. The transformation was the best so far, and the build up with Bertholt was incredible. When Mikasa got kicked I was surprised as heck!
May 12, 2019 3:10 AM
Jul 2018
Parthostic said:
ABDoesThings said:
Well then it's a very good thing that you aren't an animator.
and I wouldnt dream of being one due to this toxic ass fanbase that acts like its the end of the world due to some fucking CG.

On_the_Lam said:
ABDoesThings said:

Yup, no need to put your absolute best in your work simply because it's hard. The Colossal Titan doesn't even move so much and they did it extremely fucking well in the first season, so I don't get the point in switching to CGI.
Let me make something clear. When you have something small and moving fast, its easy to animate. When you have something big and slow, you need alot more frames to animate it. Common sense right?

The colossal Titan is a fucking gigantic slug. Drawing that over and over and then shading it is near impossible even for a large and talented staff. Now then, why not lessen the frames? If you reduce the amount of keyframes, you get a fucking blob and the whole model melts like glue.

Now ask why switch to fucking CGI?

Mod Edit: Merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
DeadlyRavenMay 12, 2019 7:05 PM
May 12, 2019 4:44 AM
Mar 2019
Guys guys chill its just cg its not like its gonna kill your mother in front of you for simply existing Im sure a lot of you havent even watched it in the best quality available and just settled for the shitty 360p leaks, just wait for the official airing today to truly judge it at 720p. These moments are why im not fond of opening an episode discussion thread before the official release of the episode just cause it leaked.
nanidatosama97May 12, 2019 4:50 AM
May 12, 2019 5:07 AM
Apr 2019
nanidatosama97 said:
Guys guys chill its just cg its not like its gonna kill your mother in front of you for simply existing Im sure a lot of you havent even watched it in the best quality available and just settled for the shitty 360p leaks, just wait for the official airing today to truly judge it at 720p. These moments are why im not fond of opening an episode discussion thread before the official release of the episode just cause it leaked.

Lol I died at that killing mother in front of u joke and today is mother's day too. Anyway, I agree the cg wasn't that bad its actually good. These guys are impatient at least they should watch the episode in HD not in 240p and then judge it.
May 12, 2019 8:50 AM

Jun 2008
That Colossal Titan is ugly as sin.

And get ready for the next episode.
May 12, 2019 8:59 AM

Oct 2013
pretty sad that this was one of the best episode in the series overall imo and it is getting overshadowed by the cgi colossal titan, this was one of the main thing I was worrying about and it prove to be the case.

It comes to the point where the less colossal titan being shown the better, I'm already imagining if all the wall titans being release, its going to be a cgi galore when that time comes.

I personally has gotten over the cgi since season 2, but it seems plenty of persons hasn't.
May 12, 2019 9:01 AM

Jun 2008
^ that is a really big spoiler =3
May 12, 2019 9:09 AM

Apr 2015
Oh boy...so they needed 6 Animation Directors and 3 Assistant directors for this episode despite it being littered with reused scenes & a lack of new "demanding" scenes.

That has me curious how the production will fare outside of episode 54 if they have this much of a problem already.
FappaMay 12, 2019 9:17 AM
May 12, 2019 9:11 AM

Jan 2018
keragamming said:
pretty sad that this was one of the best episode in the series overall imo and it is getting overshadowed by the cgi colossal titan, this was one of the main thing I was worrying about and it prove to be the case.

It comes to the point where the less colossal titan being shown the better, I'm already imagining if all the wall titans being release, its going to be a cgi galore when that time comes.

I personally has gotten over the cgi since season 2, but it seems plenty of persons hasn't.

The anime community will never accept CGI, especially if it's "bad". I didn't mind it, but I guess it'll forever be hated.
May 12, 2019 9:22 AM
Mar 2019
Fappa said:
Oh boy...so they needed 6 Animation Directors and 3 Assistant directors for this episode despite it being littered with reused scenes & a lack of new "demanding" scenes.

That has me curious how the production will fare outside of episode 54 if they have this much of a problem already.

I didnt see any reused scenes? It looked like they just took every panel off the manga and animated it to me, and ive been checking weekly through my volumes to make sure
May 12, 2019 9:58 AM

Apr 2019
SSTHZero said:

he didn't spoil anything, he is just speculating.
You son of a .. turtle

May 12, 2019 10:31 AM

Jun 2008
Nim0174 said:
SSTHZero said:

Well, the talk about the
May 12, 2019 10:41 AM

Jan 2018
nanidatosama97 said:

I didnt see any reused scenes? It looked like they just took every panel off the manga and animated it to me, and ive been checking weekly through my volumes to make sure
They reused the beast titan's throw when he's throwing the barrel over the wall. Check season 2 episode 1, where he throws the horse at Mike.
May 12, 2019 10:54 AM

Apr 2019
SSTHZero said:
Nim0174 said:

Well, the talk about the

it didnt actually happen and we've known about the wall titans for a long time in the anime
You son of a .. turtle

May 12, 2019 10:56 AM

May 2016
I was on the verge of tears when Marco said we didn't even talked this through poor guy he died without saying anything.

I can't believe their goal is to kill all humans inside the walls, Poor Armin has to take order in a situation like that.

Someone must really have had a thing or two for Mikasa.
RaizelMay 12, 2019 11:23 AM
May 12, 2019 11:06 AM

Feb 2010
That little scuffle between Mikasa and Bertolt was tight.
May 12, 2019 11:07 AM

Apr 2015
nanidatosama97 said:

Oh there are. After having watched the episode twice and seeing other examples from people I count the Beast Titan barrel throw, the explosion on the houses, a few scenes in the flashback, another beast titan one and probably a moving gear one.
May 12, 2019 11:07 AM

Aug 2013
Poor Marco.

Looks like Reiner managed to survive.

May 12, 2019 11:16 AM
Shingster

Jun 2015
So thats what happened to Marco back then. Still the insight into Reiner and Bertholdt's state of mind before the battle was insightful. While certainly brave the negotiation between Armin and Bertholdt was doomed to fail from the start. Damm that mid air transformation sure ended up wiping out the majority of the corps vets here. An impressive ep as always. While featuring less action than last ep the focus on the state of mind of Reiner and Bertholdt as well as the insight into what they did previously was welcome. In the present looks like things are starting to get deadly serious for the team.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 12, 2019 11:20 AM

Apr 2013
Damn Bertholt really teased before actually transforming and still caught Hange Squad off guard
just because I’ve gotten weaker, doesn’t mean that you got stronger, does it?
May 12, 2019 11:30 AM
May 2016
God that was a great ep. The OST fucking carried it, god damn we got like what, 3 really damn good remixed tracks from the first season? Every step of the battle has been great so far. I honestly didn't mind the CGI for the colossal, got used to it after season 2. I hope they'll make use of the advantages having that sort of model can bring like they did too with season 2 to make fans more accepting of it.

Man, Bert has come a long way. The scenes between the antagonists this ep were really well-done too, Reiner and Bert having that little bit of banter before bumping eachother on the back like true comrades was great, but I don't buy that Bert believes what he's saying at all to Armin and the others. "That's right, nobody's in the wrong. Because this world is just... that cruel." What a beautiful moment. I can't wait to see what's coming up
ModernoirMay 12, 2019 12:16 PM

May 2017
unfortunately disappointed. Not with the story but with everything else. the production is really lackluster, we only get like 1 or 2 nicely animated scenes in 1 episode which is not much. The cgi colossal breaks my immersion too hard. Not even the close ups or the stills are 2d anymore no hes completely 3d. Also the ost's didnt really catch me so far. Could be because of some miss placements and bad timings.
shayed__May 12, 2019 11:33 AM

Apr 2014
This episode was really nice. The way how it went, and how it was executed in terms of action was nicely done. Looking forward to the next episode.
May 12, 2019 11:36 AM
Mar 2019
Fappa said:
nanidatosama97 said:

Oh there are. After having watched the episode twice and seeing other examples from people I count the Beast Titan barrel throw, the explosion on the houses, a few scenes in the flashback, another beast titan one and probably a moving gear one.

To be fair, youd only notice that if youre constantly comparing it with other scenes from the anime/constantly re watch the anime, if you just casually watch each season like I do its kinda hard to notice re used scenes like that.
nanidatosama97May 12, 2019 11:39 AM
Pages (8) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

801 by mapachefffff »»
Apr 4, 3:19 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Apr 28, 2019

458 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 6:59 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.