Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 10, 2019 12:39 AM

Feb 2018
Peco said:

lol they love it sooo much that they cant even bother to watch it.. from 1m users in S1 to 20k now, smh my head LOL

>Season 1 aired in 2013.
>Season 3 part 2 is currently airing and many people rate a show after it's finished or has completed certain x%.
>Many users from 2013-19 have already left this site, perhaps rated season 1 but aren't there for this season.
>Many people binge a season after it's airing.
>Some dropped the show because it didn't get along with their taste.

So, yeah, stop acting like an edgy teen when you claim yourselves as an adult >20 y/o.
You didn't even give any constructive criticism.
When objectively s2 was better than s1
May 10, 2019 12:58 AM

Apr 2012
To correct you OP, SNK not universally loved, it's popularly loved, there's a difference.

For example Pokemon (as a concept) is universally loved. SNK is just your typical edgy survival plot with a shounen twist by a mangaka who could barely draw at first. Of course it would be popular with teenagers.
EratiKMay 10, 2019 6:27 AM
May 10, 2019 1:56 AM
Apr 2019
EratiK said:
To correct you OP, SNK not universally loved, it's populary loved, there's a difference.

For example Pokemon (as a concept) is universally loved. SNK is just your typical edgy survival plot with a shounen twist by a mangaka who could barely draw at first. Of course it would be popular with teenagers.

Can u explain us how it's a typical edgy survival plot?. If you haven't read the manga then u are so wrong.
May 10, 2019 2:14 AM

Apr 2012
The author himself said he got inspired by Sidonia no kishi. Just removed the harem and transposed in a medieval steampunk universe. It was a good idea though, I'll give him that.
May 10, 2019 2:58 AM
Jan 2017
Basically the manga readers know shit gon be firee and by watching the first 2 episodes with the amazing OST, its clear that this season gon be lit - unless WIT really tries hard to fk it up
Im into trash. But my taste is still better than yours ahaha.
May 10, 2019 4:30 AM
Mar 2019
EratiK said:
The author himself said he got inspired by Sidonia no kishi. Just removed the harem and transposed in a medieval steampunk universe. It was a good idea though, I'll give him that.

Shingeki is so much more than what you think it is, not bashing on you btw, just saying the characters have developed a lot in the manga (especially Eren), and this final manga arc has been pretty complex in terms of storytelling. To the point it drove away the casual audience from it and the ones who want deep storytelling stuck around.
nanidatosama97May 10, 2019 4:39 AM
May 10, 2019 5:15 AM

Feb 2018
EratiK said:
To correct you OP, SNK not universally loved, it's populary loved, there's a difference.

EratiK said:

Sidonia no kishi began serializing april 2009 and SnK began serializing september the same year. Isayama first came with the idea of AoT with his zeroth volume which he drew in 2006. And he never told he got inspired with any japanese series. I've read many of his interviews. His idea came from his hometown which was surrounded by mountains and cannal walls which gave him the idea of humans trapped within walls.

And yes, could you please rephrase the term "edgy typical survival shounen" because I can't see how does it qualify for the same.
May 10, 2019 5:56 AM

Oct 2013
EratiK said:

I've read all his interview and he never once said he got inspiration from that series.

@ThatShiny_Hex

He did say he got inspiration from the muv luv game back in 2006 and there is plenty of other series that inspire him during his journey with snk, what you say is also true as well, its a mixture of both.

May 10, 2019 6:09 AM

Apr 2012
Haha Muv Luv, that's even worse.
May 10, 2019 6:14 AM
Mar 2019
EratiK said:
Haha Muv Luv, that's even worse.

You dont seem to be admitting to being wrong to anything, you just respond with a "haha" or act like you know something when you dont. Not trying to be rude, but im starting to get that vibe with you that youre not really here to give much constructive criticism and just here to call it typical edgy shonen material without backing up your claim as to why.
May 10, 2019 6:26 AM

Apr 2012
No offense I was just here to explain why it's popularly loved, not universally.

For example a typical edgy thing is the hero was a killer as a child. It's a stereotype that date back to Musashi, it's stuff you see all the time (FMP, Black Lagoon, Chrome Shelled Regios, etc). The shounen element is basically youth with friends and effort (to save their lives, with lots of gore, edge+2), action is often structured around a map/levels which is also typical of shounen because it needs to be clear so young readers can understand.

Again intrinsically there's nothing wrong with it, but it's not universally loved.
EratiKMay 10, 2019 6:32 AM
May 10, 2019 6:35 AM
Mar 2019
EratiK said:
No offense I was just here to explain why it's popularly loved, not universally.

For example a typical edgy thing is the hero was a killer as a child. It's a stereotype that date back to Musashi, it's stuff you see all the time (FMP, Black Lagoon, Chrome Shelled Regios, etc). The shounen element is basically youth with friends and effort (to save their lives, with lots of gore, edge+2), action is often structured around a map/levels which is also typical of shounen because it needs to be clear so young readers can understand.

Again intrinsically there's nothing wrong with it, but it's not universally loved.

I can see why you think that, if youre looking at SnK on the surface level, which is what many who dont like it do, but what SnK does brilliantly imo, is disguise itself as a generic shonen in the beginning, but then becomes more in depth with each passing arc as there are hints to future arcs in previous arcs. Very subtle hints, the anime doesnt do it very well for the uprising arc, but uprising arc in the manga is where the manga starts to show its true colors of being a bit unique in the realm of shonen.
May 10, 2019 6:38 AM

May 2017
if we talk about anime then def visuals add to its charm,and manga wise the way story is constructed
May 10, 2019 9:39 AM
Jan 2016
Dolabella said:
Season 3 Part 2 has over 10,000 ratings of 10 on the site (and I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing). I watched the first two episodes myself, and I thought they were okay, but not "masterpieces." Having watched all 3 seasons of the show, I got kinda frustrated because I felt like the show was relying on cliffhangers and shock value to retain attention rather than developing the cast of characters or presenting interesting themes. Also, the pacing definitely got to me, where I feel like the show handled key events really poorly by interrupting them with unnecessary information (I think flashbacks are a really weak way to progress the plot or characters in general). One other thing is that after Eren's mom (spoiler ig), most of the deaths in the show were those of side characters who we weren't really made to care about, so for me at least a lot of the deaths lacked the impact I was expecting. The music is great, and while I think the character designs are pretty same-y, I get why that is.

BUT... I DON'T HATE THE SHOW! I just want to know why so many people love it, because I feel like there's gotta be something about it that I'm just missing. I'm 100% open to changing my opinion on it.

Also, yes I am pretty new to watching anime, but I really hope I don't get attacked for that, because I honestly just want to know why AOT is so beloved. Thanks!

the reason why its the masterpiece for me because of how carefully crafted its and just fukin filled with details and you will only understand and catch it fully after a couple of rewatches, it has normal foreshadowing that you will find in most shows which good. but it also has two way foreshadowing(don't know whats it called in writing terms) that blows my mind and you won't find it others shows easily. In this an event that happens presently in the story changes the meaning/perception of the past event in the story something you most probably can't even guess without that perspective given to you in the future. it kinda makes me go holy shit!, this makes rereading and rewatching a great fun,(btw i am a manga reader) and there are some deep meanings to things that are revealed later. with all this underlying beneath the crazyiness in just the cherry on the top and in terms of the show the animation is also crazy good compared to most others. Isayama knows how to execute things in a exciting way. SPOILER STARTS like he has given way to many hints for reiner and berts reveal so he executed it like he did and still made it epic and now its one of the best reveals for me and many SPOILER ENDS well thats all i could say without making this a thesis right now. hope you understand my point of views, thanks!
SiLVeR99103May 10, 2019 9:43 AM
May 10, 2019 12:36 PM

Aug 2017
Attack on titan is like Game of Thrones atm
May 10, 2019 12:40 PM
Mar 2019
magaiverix said:

I really dislike that comparison with a burning passion, its like, game of thrones didnt do it first, ya know? Just cause aot has lots of death doesnt make it GoT the anime imo.
May 10, 2019 1:03 PM

Aug 2017
nanidatosama97 said:
magaiverix said:

I really dislike that comparison with a burning passion, its like, game of thrones didnt do it first, ya know? Just cause aot has lots of death doesnt make it GoT the anime imo.

Attack on titan is like Game of Throne's last season last epics
May 10, 2019 1:16 PM
Mar 2019
magaiverix said:
nanidatosama97 said:

Attack on titan is like Game of Throne's last season last epics

This wont be the last season, the manga is still ongoing, lol
May 10, 2019 1:45 PM
Jul 2018
nanidatosama97 said:
magaiverix said:

I agree, but Akame ga kill is GoT the anime
May 10, 2019 1:51 PM
Jul 2018
Dolabella said:
Season 3 Part 2 has over 10,000 ratings of 10 on the site (and I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing). I watched the first two episodes myself, and I thought they were okay, but not "masterpieces." Having watched all 3 seasons of the show, I got kinda frustrated because I felt like the show was relying on cliffhangers and shock value to retain attention rather than developing the cast of characters or presenting interesting themes. Also, the pacing definitely got to me, where I feel like the show handled key events really poorly by interrupting them with unnecessary information (I think flashbacks are a really weak way to progress the plot or characters in general). One other thing is that after Eren's mom (spoiler ig), most of the deaths in the show were those of side characters who we weren't really made to care about, so for me at least a lot of the deaths lacked the impact I was expecting. The music is great, and while I think the character designs are pretty same-y, I get why that is.

BUT... I DON'T HATE THE SHOW! I just want to know why so many people love it, because I feel like there's gotta be something about it that I'm just missing. I'm 100% open to changing my opinion on it.

Also, yes I am pretty new to watching anime, but I really hope I don't get attacked for that, because I honestly just want to know why AOT is so beloved. Thanks!

Attack on titan is hyped as fk because it has literally everything u could want in an anime.
Action, slight hints of romance, mysterys, depressing stuff, creepy stuff, plot twists nobody considers and literally no fanservice beside the 1 episode with mikasa's training.
Thats how it got so popular, it doesnt have any mistakes the average viewer would notice or even care about. Same with OPM, same with re zero, same with everything that more than just popular.

If nobody could answer your question and you care enough, this video should be able to:

removed-userMay 10, 2019 1:56 PM
May 10, 2019 2:43 PM
Nov 2017
Yandere-Dragon said:
crazey said:
It has such a high rating because us manga readers know what's coming this season. The only way that I would end up rating this season anything lower than a 10 is if WIT studio royally fucks up the adaptation.

Also no one can answer the question "Does it get much better?" for you. You kinda have to see for yourself because it depends on your personal taste. This story is about so much more than titan superpowers though. Actually since you like Code Geass, I think you might enjoy the direction Attack on Titan takes later on in the series lol.

Got it, thanks for the explaination, I'll consider giving it another try

Stick with it, some of the points you addressed will be taken care of this season
May 10, 2019 3:01 PM
Mar 2019
Yandere-Dragon said:
magaiverix said:
pretty sure characters have massive plot armor in attack on titan though

I mean, if everyone just died, the plot would drag and take forever to continue because Isayama would have to invent more new characters
May 10, 2019 3:07 PM
Mar 2019
Yandere-Dragon said:
nanidatosama97 said:

I mean, if everyone just died, the plot would drag and take forever to continue because Isayama would have to invent more new characters
idk it's pretty immersion breaking for me when there's a set of characters that for sure won't die and will always manage to make it out of every situation in a dangerous world.

Still, its better for the series story wise, I rather isayama allow certain characters to live to advance the plot, than let it be butchered into a slow boring mess because he just casually kills people off that are important to the plot at that time. If he did that, we would have no answers at all and people wouldnt like this anime/manga as much, also you pretty much summed up like 70% of this genre of entertainment, AOT isnt the only one that does it. Im sure some shows you enjoy do that too
nanidatosama97May 10, 2019 3:12 PM
May 10, 2019 3:41 PM

Feb 2019
Attack on Titan is one of the more thought-provoking manga of the 2010s. This doesn't always translate well into the anime where they're more interested in flash than substance. Where the anime shines is the way it conveys emotion. People regularly give this 10s because there are moments where anyone would get goosebumps, like when Bert and Ernie are on top of the wall and the flagpole snaps while youseeBIGGIRL is playing. No other anime captures the anxiety of the characters like this one.

White_Wolf0 said:
Man this show might be the greatest thing you every watch im serious, all the mysteries,action,blood, and some other stuff it's just great. There's no replacement for this show either really there is non.

Also this! Attack on Titan is at this rare balance of realistic parallels and fantastic execution that makes it irreplaceable. It draws fans that checked out of anime after '06-'07 back into the medium with western themes, design, and mythology. I stopped watching anime for a long time until someone showed me Erwin's famous charging scene. Now I'm back to watching anime and picking up new recommendations since this restored my faith.
May 10, 2019 3:44 PM

Nov 2018
It came at the right time and it's amazing.
May 10, 2019 4:10 PM

Oct 2013
Yandere-Dragon said:
magaiverix said:
pretty sure characters have massive plot armor in attack on titan though

game of thrones season 6 spoiler and some mild spoiler from the latest season.

May 10, 2019 4:45 PM

Sep 2016
I don't know man, I dropped it twice.
May 10, 2019 5:09 PM

Aug 2018
Actually answer is really simple , it's masterpiece and that is all

"I want to show that woman the true Yoshikage Kira. I want her to hear how I feel deep inside. That I want to take your slender neck into these hands and strangle you to death."

May 10, 2019 6:45 PM

Dec 2016
Lmao I lost the count how many times I've seen this same thread created in the SnK boards XD
May 10, 2019 7:12 PM
Oct 2018
Lmao like how you've to mention you don't hate this series...
Also, I think the same way about this series as you do. Maybe this series must've been the first with serious humour for many.
BUT... I DON'T HATE THE SHOW!
May 10, 2019 7:21 PM
Oct 2018
Peco said:
nanidatosama97 said:

Who are you to decide if people have tastes/standards or not? Cause this is how your comment comes off across, snobby and a bit stuck up. You sound a bit salty as well that people simply dislike the new season of GOT.

i dont watch GoT lol
keragamming said:

I can be a snobby asshole just like you, people that like ping pong or those shitty slice of life shows where nothing happens doesn't deserve to have a opinion on a show.

See, easy wasn't it? We all can be assholes just like you, but we choose not to.

Now get the hell out of this sub forum if you don't have anything constructive to say.

lol they love it sooo much that they cant even bother to watch it.. from 1m users in S1 to 20k now, smh my head LOL
Ayee dude calm down them 20k gon swarm inside your house soon lol
May 10, 2019 10:00 PM

Aug 2017
BestBoiEren said:
story, plot , world, characters, mystery, everything

also compare it to other anime 99.9% of them are trash, so not hard to be a masterpiece in this industry
(like other popular ones which are garbage are: fate, bnha, shield hero) just to mention a few

Bruh get your head outta your ass.

Even though AoT is pretty dope, don't put down every other show especially if they are popular just to prop it up, its lowclass & immature.
I used to be a watchmaker.
May 11, 2019 1:35 AM

May 2018
Slimcoder said:
BestBoiEren said:

also compare it to other anime 99.9% of them are trash, so not hard to be a masterpiece in this industry
(like other popular ones which are garbage are: fate, bnha, shield hero) just to mention a few

Even though AoT is pretty dope, don't put down every other show especially if they are popular just to prop it up, its lowclass & immature.

Don't bother arguing with him/her. His/her half vocabulary consists of "trash" and synomyms for that word and the forum contribution can be reduced to one liners and shit posting.
Not worth the effort.
May 11, 2019 3:05 AM
Apr 2017
Gilliesss said:
Yazan_Aot said:
its a masterpieces with everything
deal with it

People like you are what ruin these kinds of shows

Deal with it
its the best anime ever
May 11, 2019 3:05 AM

May 2016
The answers like "it is just a masterpiece and that's all" shows that the majority of the viewers of this show are blinded and inmature fanboys, and the proof that this show is just an overrated battleshounen cliché.

And now they will come and will call me a hater :D (i am not, i enjoy AoT, but it is far away from masterpiece)
-
May 11, 2019 3:35 AM

Apr 2019
SheevPalpatine said:
The answers like "it is just a masterpiece and that's all" shows that the majority of the viewers of this show are blinded and inmature fanboys, and the proof that this show is just an overrated battleshounen cliché.

And now they will come and will call me a hater :D (i am not, i enjoy AoT, but it is far away from masterpiece)

they will call you a hater because you phrase your opinion as a fact and put your Opinion above all else and they would be right lol
hater is more of a term used to generalize not just people who actually hate it but also people who think their opinion is worth more than other peoples opinions
You son of a .. turtle

May 11, 2019 3:39 AM

May 2016
Nim0174 said:
SheevPalpatine said:

they will call you a hater because you phrase your opinion as a fact and put your Opinion above all else and they would be right lol
hater is more of a term used to generalize not just people who actually hate it but also people who think their opinion is worth more than other peoples opinions

I don't feel that my opinion is worth more than other people's opinion.

But when someone says something like that "Deal with it
its the best anime ever" or "it is just a masterpiece and that's all" with no proper arguments, it really bothers me.
-
May 11, 2019 3:44 AM

Apr 2019
SheevPalpatine said:
Nim0174 said:

its the best anime ever" or "it is just a masterpiece and that's all" with no proper arguments, it really bothers me.

well yeah they are essentially doing the same thing so you got a point

understand that most that acclaim it as a masterpiece have read the manga,
your perspective/outlook on the whole story really changes after the basement reveal and the arc after that

that said the term "overrated battle shounen" just doesn't qualify for AoT at all since its really Mystery Focused, it also sounds degrading also what the hell is wrong with shounen? xD
You son of a .. turtle

May 11, 2019 4:02 AM

May 2016
Nim0174 said:
SheevPalpatine said:

your perspective/outlook on the whole story really changes after the basement reveal and the arc after that

that said the term "overrated battle shounen" just doesn't qualify for AoT at all since its really Mystery Focused, it also sounds degrading also what the hell is wrong with shounen? xD

I've read the manga too.

I'm too old for shounen :P
-
May 11, 2019 4:08 AM

Jan 2018
I agree with you OP. I don't dislike SNK by any means, but it's definitely far from spectacular. I have fun with it whenever I watch it, but it's something I literally forget about the next day. The character development, while not necessarily entirely bad, really isn't anything worthy of praise, either. I will say that the visuals and animation are quite stunning, though, as well as Sawano's work on the soundtrack. But do I find it to be deserving of anywhere close to a top spot on MAL? Certainly not.

All of that said, I do understand the mentality of its fans. People will like what they like, and love what they love. I have plenty of shows I'm overly biased towards as well, but it doesn't make them great from a critical standpoint. But at the end of the day, who really cares?

"I am not sure that I exist, actually. I am all the writers that I have read, all the
people that I have met, all the women that I have loved; all the cities I have visited.
"
― Jorge Luis Borges
[url=]Goodreads[/url] | [url=]Letterboxd[/url]

May 11, 2019 4:22 AM

Jan 2015
Slimcoder said:
BestBoiEren said:

if every other show is bad then i will put them down, and most of them are bad -the ones i specially mentioned are a tier lower- so I will put them down
May 11, 2019 4:37 AM
Jul 2018
AoT is loved because its unique. Simple as that. Its like what the Walking Dead was back in its hayday. Its a great take on your classic apocalypse setting.
May 11, 2019 5:01 AM

Aug 2017
BestBoiEren said:
Slimcoder said:

if every other show is bad then i will put them down, and most of them are bad -the ones i specially mentioned are a tier lower- so I will put them down

So the very essence of a lowclass & immature person indeed. Your put downs mean nothing & signify nothing, just you acting like a child. A person with actual maturity wouldn't resort to such unnecessary insults without any actual reasoning or basis.

It is only pitiable because it is your very nature & nothing can change that but that doesn't mean I can't make fun of you for being a whiner on occasion.
I used to be a watchmaker.
May 11, 2019 5:02 AM

Apr 2019
SheevPalpatine said:
Nim0174 said:

I've read the manga too.

I'm too old for shounen :P

you can never be too old :O im born 89
even my dad watched shounen at 60 lol
You son of a .. turtle

May 11, 2019 5:47 AM
Jul 2018
BestBoiEren said:

you can't be calling popular shows trash with sao in your favs lmao
May 11, 2019 6:01 AM
Mar 2019
operasinger said:
BestBoiEren said:

Youre not much more mature by saying he cant have an opinion because of a show he watches. Also..

@BestBoiEren
Calling fate trash while having Fate/Zero a 10/10 shows you are just being an outright troll
nanidatosama97May 11, 2019 6:09 AM
May 11, 2019 6:11 AM

Apr 2019
BestBoiEren said:
Slimcoder said:

So the very essence of a lowclass & immature person indeed. Your put downs mean nothing & signify nothing, just you acting like a child. A person with actual maturity wouldn't resort to such unnecessary insults without any actual reasoning or basis.

It is only pitiable because it is your very nature & nothing can change that but that doesn't mean I can't make fun of you for being a whiner on occasion.

It's funny how you think I care about what a random weeb thinks about me.

Not to mention that you have bad taste. fate at 7 ,bnha at 9...

man you attitude is just as bad as the AoT haters xD

operasinger said:
BestBoiEren said:

the same goes for you
You son of a .. turtle

May 11, 2019 6:21 AM
Jul 2018
nanidatosama97 said:
operasinger said:

Youre not much more mature by saying he cant have an opinion because of a show he watches. Also..

@BestBoiEren
Calling fate trash while having Fate/Zero a 10/10 shows you are just being an outright troll

That's how it works for him, he thinks others can't have an opinion bc of a show that they watch so that's the only way to make him realize what he's doing. I'm just giving him the taste of shit he gives others all the time
May 11, 2019 6:29 AM

Apr 2019
operasinger said:
nanidatosama97 said:

@BestBoiEren

That's how it works for him, he thinks others can't have an opinion bc of a show that they watch so that's the only way to make him realize what he's doing. I'm just giving him the taste of shit he gives others all the time

thats a stupid argument, because he does the same most likely he is thinking the exact same thing you are

its not really a justification

just because someone steals your girlfriends cat doesn't mean you are allowed to steal his cat

that way you will just cycle around triggering people to adjust to your thinking and they will bash shows you like, triggering people to bash shows he likes, triggering people to bash more shows, at the end ur all bashing each other

doesn't sound like fun to me but hey to each their own xD
You son of a .. turtle

May 12, 2019 1:13 AM
Sleepy

Nov 2014
Thread locked

It's full of baiting already and will only continue to be derailed.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.