Forum Settings
Forums
Chihayafuru
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this chapter?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this chapter. If you want to discuss future events, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to read/download this chapter or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Manga Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2019 2:04 AM

Nov 2007
THIS IS A MANGA ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS ANYTHING BEYOND THIS CHAPTER.
----------------------------------------
Oh, boy! We are all battle ready and the matches couldn't have started any sooner with all the introductions the day before!

And we are hit with a disaster already?! O_O
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 1, 2019 8:08 AM
Mar 2015
Chitose and Chihaya's bags got switched by her dad so she does not have her kimono and the stuff Kana prepared. they are down to two readers because of influenza
Arata is feeling nervous and sees the Meijin shade.The karuta association sees him as his grandfather and want him to erase Suou Suou does not care about what the association thinks He spends most of his time eating sweets and telling the old fogies what he thinks of them. Shinobu spends a lot of time giving V and W symbols. Chihaya brings down the house by talking about equality between men and women with the 5 game match The sponsors are upset about it and the youtube that Shinobu and Chihaya are doing
May 1, 2019 11:11 AM

Nov 2007
@landofthekwt, was that switch of bags accidental?

Shinobu doesn't have Chihaya's level of energy. 5 games will definitely increase Chihaya's chances. I think the manga will end after this game.

The cover said "Kimi to onaji hoshi wo miteiru kamoshirenai" and it could be referring to Shinobu-chan perhaps? But I feel like it could also be Arata. :)
Coronavirus.
May 8, 2019 10:35 AM

Nov 2007
OT: Very unlike of Suetsugu-sensei to reply to a tweet that was obviously hinting at Arata x Chihaya with hearts just a couple of hours back. Although she only mentioned the snowman dolls, the double hearts and the word cute were almost as if her response to Arata x Chihaya.

Coronavirus.
May 10, 2019 10:21 AM

Oct 2012
Chihaya's speech was everything. My feminist young girl ♥
Next chapter will be out on Chihaya's birthday! Let's see what beautiful drawing Suetsugu-sensei prepares for us.

shanimebib said:
OT: Very unlike of Suetsugu-sensei to reply to a tweet that was obviously hinting at Arata x Chihaya with hearts just a couple of hours back. Although she only mentioned the snowman dolls, the double hearts and the word cute were almost as if her response to Arata x Chihaya.

I... Feel like you're exaggerating a bit. But if it makes you happy lol I know we all can be biased towards our ship.
May 10, 2019 10:32 AM

Nov 2007
MaahHeim said:
I... Feel like you're exaggerating a bit. But if it makes you happy lol I know we all can be biased towards our ship.

This is no exaggeration! My ship has sailed! Woohoo~
I know I am super biased, haha <3
Coronavirus.
May 10, 2019 11:50 AM

Sep 2012
Wonderful chapter!

• I love, love, love how Suetsugu dedicated an entire page to Chihaya recognizing Arata. His soft expression is so sweet, and Chihaya seems so overwhelmed by his appearance. It's like he shook up her entire being going by the last panel on pg 4.
  • A smiling and laughing Arata! A blushing Chihaya! The two of them being so comfortable around each other despite not getting to see each other that often!
  • Shinobu, the current Queen, making her appearance in a beautiful kimono and cute hairstyle. I just love her so much.
  • Oh Suo. I can't stand the way the committee continuously looks down on you.
  • So glad that we're getting more insight on Arata and how he's doing/feeling. There's the ghost of his grandfather, how Suo overwhelms him along with his doubts and fears. The expectations the committee undoubtedly have for him must be a bit too much at times since he's the grandson of the Meijin who held the title for 7 whole years. I can't imagine what it's like to constantly live in the shadow of someone. Really looking forward to see what Suetsugu has in store for his character. I feel like I've been waiting for this for years.
  • Favorite scene was the speech of Chihaya. I really appreciate the moments when Suetsugu shows us how mature she can be. The mention of gender and asking everyone to watch not only her, but Shinobu as well. Great stuff.
  • That short, tender moment between Chihaya and her mama was lovely.
  • So that's how Suetsugu is planning on confronting the rift between Chitose and Chihaya! Speculation of course, but I feel that Chitose will take the kimono to Chihaya-she's shown wearing a kimono in the first few pages of the first chapter-and finally cheer her sister on. It was always Chihaya supporting the dream of her sister, but now the roles will be reversed. Chitose will now be the one to support the dream of Chihaya, It's Chitose's turn to be her biggest fan which will give Suetsugu the opportunity to tie the end of the manga to the beginning-think back to how Suetsugu opened the manga. I have a feeling that we'll be getting a flashback to when Chitose and Chihaya were younger just to really drive the "everything comes in full circle" message home. Whichever way Suetsugu decides to go, one thing is certain-karuta will once again play a role in Chihaya getting closer to someone. Just like it did with Arata, Shinobu, Taichi, Harada-sensei, the Mizusawa club.

shanimebib said:

Saw this as well. It's cute how she responded to a blatant Chihaya x Arata shipper and even tweeted two hearts just like ones the person added on top of those tickets-at least I believe that's what they were. I've seen pictures of the exhibit online-mostly twitter-and Arata got more focus of the two main leads so that's always nice. I always felt he had more of a standing compared to Taichi.
The desire to be loved is the last illusion. Give it up and you will be free.
May 10, 2019 12:59 PM

Oct 2012
shanimebib said:
MaahHeim said:

*insert smiley face here*
May 14, 2019 7:08 AM

Sep 2012
Doesn't have anything to do with the chapter itself, but the on-going exhibit held in Japan. Was roaming yahoo!auctions in order to find some goods, and I came across this. New artwork-at least I believe it is-by Suetsugu so I decided to share it.

possession1981May 14, 2019 7:19 AM
May 14, 2019 9:20 AM

Nov 2007
^ But is that Chihaya though. She doesn't look anyone remotely close to the Chihaya I know.
Coronavirus.
May 14, 2019 10:16 AM

Sep 2012
shanimebib said:
^ But is that Chihaya though. She doesn't look anyone remotely close to the Chihaya I know.

I don't see why it wouldn't be considering the other characters on the box. Why would she draw some members of the Mizusawa club, the two male leads, but not her heroine? Who could that be if not Chihaya?
May 14, 2019 10:25 AM

Nov 2007
possession1981 said:
shanimebib said:

I don't see why it wouldn't be considering the other characters on the box. Why would she draw some members of the Mizusawa club, the two male leads, but not her heroine? Who could that be if not Chihaya?

The drawing is off, that's what I meant. Suetsugu's drawing is pretty consistent unlike the one you posted.
Coronavirus.
May 14, 2019 10:38 AM

Sep 2012
shanimebib said:
The drawing is off, that's what I meant. Suetsugu's drawing is pretty consistent unlike the one you posted.

I have to disagree. Chihaya looks gorgeous on the chapter cover for 215, but looks odd to me on the latest volume cover alongside her sister.
possession1981May 14, 2019 10:43 AM
May 15, 2019 8:17 PM
Aug 2010
I've been thinking of how I want to see Chihayafuru's current arc end (it would fit for an ending of the series, but I really would like it to not stop :P).

I want this arc to end with Chihaya obviously beating Shinobu (3 to 2) and Arata obviously beating Suo (3 to 2). But then I want Chihaya's greed to come up at the end and ask for a match between Arata. To settle strongest between them. But her greed goes further and wanting to also see a match between Shinobu and Suo. Protest from some in committee, but obviously older queen who wanted to fight the master in her day will push for it as well as some others. Arata will clearly want that too. Even Shinobu will want to play against Suo for once. They allow for at least one game each due to time.

Suo loses to Shinobu and Shinobu can be like "the little gods love me because I love them back, you could be stronger if they loved you too" (that + Arata's matches could be what give Suo finally some passion for Karuta).

Arata and Chihaya will be a long match and Chihaya will be at a crazy 200% skill by being so focused on her objective. Not just to play Karuta with Arata, but to send a message to him too. Only allowing him to take the cards that give her feelings towards Arata clear as day. Because she is, after all, a Karuta nut and could only really do everything around Karuta. Winning or losing doesn't really matter here (but I think Winning for Chihaya would be better). The cards left are the ones bout love and we can have Kana-chan be the good ol' voice over realizing it. I don't think Arata ever really look deep into the meanings of the cards (he clearly knows them given earlier bits about how he sees Karuta instead of the Cell Phone as his bridge to her), but I think Chihaya could explain it well then to him and clearly confess her love for him. It seems perfect to me that he would get her confession (and she give it) through Karuta itself. I think it'd be better with her winning because part of what makes her win is her deeper knowledge of the poems and how much she loves Karuta beyond just the competitive nature and it could help him come to appreciate Karuta even more. Obviously can kiss then and there can be reactions from all. This event as well as with the prior can really help things explode for popularity on Shinobu's youtube as well as Chiihaya's social media and helps them make Karuta more into a profession they can get paid while playing.

Just seems the most fitting conclusion for the arc. And I'd personally the series not end there so we can see Chihaya and Shinobu as well as others help push Karuta to be a professional sport as well as see Chihaya pushing Mizusawa as a coach while she's attending college (Chihaya is super greedy after all :P) and see Arata with Chihaya's relationship bloom more. I'd just love the series not to end there, but I think that'd also be a fitting place for it to end.

It likely will go similar to this, I think, with at least Chihaya and Arata winning and a confession, but the key I really wanna see is Chihaya getting a match right then and there against Arata to confess her feelings that way and it being public to everyone around/watching.
May 16, 2019 3:20 AM

Nov 2007
^where is my Taichi in your fantasies? T_T

Also, Queen matches are 3 games (race to 2) while Meijin matches are 5 games (race to 3).
Coronavirus.
May 16, 2019 7:09 AM
Mar 2015
The karuta association changed the queens match to best of 5 after Shinobu and Chihaya asked for the change They were planning to do so next year but after Shinobu was told about the plan she and Chihaya made the request to move the 5 game match to the current year
May 16, 2019 9:52 AM
Aug 2010
shanimebib said:
^where is my Taichi in your fantasies? T_T

Also, Queen matches are 3 games (race to 2) while Meijin matches are 5 games (race to 3).

Taichi doesn't matter with this part of the arc :P I also don't care about him atm. I'm not sure what more he needs for his story other than to just be playing Karuta while focusing on becoming a doctor. Maybe going out with that love obsessed junior of the Mizusawa team as it seems likely she'll win his heart in the end and I think she is good for him.

And as already said, they changed it to be 5 matches for this year. I want to also have Chihaya's greed push for a match against Arata (and lead to a match between Suo and Shinobu).

Btw, why do so many like Taichi? Is it just cause he's attractive? Cause he's always kinda a selfish, cowardly, jackass in most of the manga. I do acknowledge he's grown as a character (and as a Karuta player), but he's also failed his friends, his team, and a lot of people through out. And he's hurt a lot of people for his own selfishness. He's really not a likable guy to me.
May 16, 2019 9:59 AM

Nov 2007
@landofthekwt: I was under the impression that it was still under consideration. Maybe I got it wrong. Thanks for the clarification. :)

@TheGodEmperor: You know just before she would kiss Arata, she could remember her first kiss and we can totally get an ass pull that she had been in love with Taichi all these time. I mean I have seen it happen in the most cliched shoujo ever but I hope I am wrong.

I don't mind a Sumire ending. That would be kind of sweet because I came to love her as well. Her character had more growth than Chihaya. ;)

As for fans liking Taichi, I dunno. I only know two people IRL who like Arata more than Taichi. The other one is my younger brother, haha.
Coronavirus.
May 16, 2019 10:16 AM
Aug 2010
shanimebib said:
@landofthekwt: I was under the impression that it was still under consideration. Maybe I got it wrong. Thanks for the clarification. :)

@TheGodEmperor: You know just before she would kiss Arata, she could remember her first kiss and we can totally get an ass pull that she had been in love with Taichi all these time. I mean I have seen it happen in the most cliched shoujo ever but I hope I am wrong.

I don't mind a Sumire ending. That would be kind of sweet because I came to love her as well. Her character had more growth than Chihaya. ;)

As for fans liking Taichi, I dunno. I only know two people IRL who like Arata more than Taichi. The other one is my younger brother, haha.

It was at first, then it was pushed, so it was agreed upon

Ya, it's kinda disappointing that Chihaya, being the main character, feels like she's grown the least of many of the more frequent characters. That's why I don't want the series to end soon because she still actually needs to grow as a character more. Not that she's had none, I just think she needs more.

I still don't get love of Taichi :P I don't hate him, but I don't think he's a great guy either.
May 16, 2019 12:43 PM

Sep 2012
TheGodEmperor said:
Arata and Chihaya will be a long match and Chihaya will be at a crazy 200% skill by being so focused on her objective.

I have no idea what Suetsugu has planned, especially since she declared that the climax of the story will be happening this October so I can't comment much. I do believe that we'll be getting another Chihaya and Arata match though due to two chapters-chapters 166 and 173. In the former, Chihaya wants another round because she can't remember how she beat Arata, but it never happens. The latter, she tells Arata she wants to be the strongest player in the world. It's fitting for our greedy Chihaya to want to fight against Arata after they both obtain the titles. If I am right and they do have other match then I think this is when Chihaya's answer to his confession will be revealed.

I still don't get love of Taichi :P I don't hate him, but I don't think he's a great guy either.

Even though he's not my favorite, he certainly does have has an excellent coming-of-age story. I can see why his popularity rose after his development, but before that? I'm left scratching my head as well. I guess his feelings for Chihaya and his whole not wanting to be a coward thing really touched fans.
May 17, 2019 9:28 PM

Feb 2011
shanimebib said:
MaahHeim said:

OH YES, CHIHARATA FANS UNITE, THIS A SIGN FOR CHIHAYA X ARATA SHIP HEADING TOWARDS THEIR DESTINATION WHERE THEIR MISTY BRIDGE WILL UNITE THEM TOGETHER FOREVER !!!!!!!!!!!! <3
[/quote]

@TheGodEmperor
Yeah, a genius theory that's possible to happen, since Chihaya's greediness has no limits when it comes to karuta, knowing her, she will want to settle a match with Arata after the entire match: a brilliant idea OH YES BRING IT: I'M SO DYING TO SEE ANOTHER MATCH BETWEEN OUR FAVORITE KARUTA BAKAS, THEIR DESTINY JUST AWAITS THEM!!!!! I'M SUPER EXCITE FOR THE NEXT CHAPTERS TO COME, FINALLY, ARATA FANS HAS GATHER IN THE FRONT ROW SEATS AT LAST IN WHAT'S TO COME: since most of the time Suetsugu-sensei had pushed us fans in the back seat for a long time, I have to say all our patience will be rewarded in the end, I just know it. :)
sweetangieMay 17, 2019 10:04 PM
May 17, 2019 10:04 PM

Nov 2007
@sweetangie: I was just kidding lol when I said my ship has sailed! There is no way to tell if there won't be any twist in romance at the end (just like the Live Action).

But, I will stand firm on my belief that it will really alter the entire foundation of the manga if Chihaya and Taichi becomes the end game.

All my ships in AnY, Omofuri (well half of it), DameKoi, HaruMatsu, Boku to Kimi, SKK have already sailed in recent months so I am on bit of a too happy-side. Chihayafuru adding to the list will add more to it!
Coronavirus.
May 17, 2019 10:14 PM

Feb 2011
shanimebib said:
@sweetangie: I was just kidding lol when I said my ship has sailed! There is no way to tell if there won't be any twist in romance at the end (just like the Live Action).

But, I will stand firm on my belief that it will really alter the entire foundation of the manga if Chihaya and Taichi becomes the end game.

All my ships in AnY, Omofuri (well half of it), DameKoi, HaruMatsu, Boku to Kimi, SKK have already sailed in recent months so I am on bit of a too happy-side. Chihayafuru adding to the list will add more to it!

Well, this is a sign for us fans ( and YES I'm happy to see Sustsugu-sensei approved this picture in her official twitter account and most importantly, in what other surprises Suetsugu-sensei will have for us in the next chapters to come: I CAN'T WAIT!!!!! If the manga will go in the same path in teh live-action then I don't know what to say, all I care about is the main source of the story which is the manga since the LA wasn't supervised from the creator herself) as long Suetsugu-sensei will stay true to the story's theme, I really hope for Chihaya and Arata's happiness together will be granted in the end.
sweetangieMay 17, 2019 10:26 PM
May 18, 2019 11:12 AM

Sep 2012
shanimebib said:
There is no way to tell if there won't be any twist in romance at the end (just like the Live Action).

What happened in the live action? I haven't watched the films, but they seem to push Taichi x Chihaya a lot.
possession1981May 18, 2019 11:24 AM
May 18, 2019 11:36 AM

Nov 2007
possession1981 said:
shanimebib said:
There is no way to tell if there won't be any twist in romance at the end (just like the Live Action).

What happened in the live action? Did it go the Chihaya and Taichi route or did Chihaya end up alone? If it's the former then good. That's basically the happy end for Chihaya x Taichi while Chihaya x Arata gets the canon source material. I know other series where a different pairing happened in an AU/different setting while the intended endgame got the canon story. Even if Chihaya did end up alone, I still don't see Suetsugu going down that route or the Taichi route in the manga.

Coronavirus.
May 19, 2019 10:07 AM

Sep 2012
@shanimebib Thank you for going into detail! I was thinking of checking the trilogy out, but I'm picky with live-actions and this doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I'll stick to the original source material.
May 19, 2019 10:59 AM

Nov 2007
possession1981 said:
@shanimebib Thank you for going into detail! I was thinking of checking the trilogy out, but I'm picky with live-actions and this doesn't seem like my cup of tea. I'll stick to the original source material.

Oh, no~ I didn't want to push you away from the LAs. Romance aside, the LAs are still wonderful additions to the franchise and you should not decide on my post alone!
Coronavirus.
May 19, 2019 11:37 AM

Jan 2018
shanimebib said:

*sobs* No... that's not true... that's impossible.. *sobs*

I'm level on mal-badges. View my badges.

Nov 26, 2020 9:55 AM
Nov 2020
chihaya being a feminist made this series perfect. i could care less about the meijins im rooting for wakamiya and chihaya!!!!! my feminist babies

More topics from this board

» Problem with this manga.

Suiely_c-ute - Mar 22

3 by Suiely_c-ute »»
Mar 28, 7:51 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 247 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

MaahHeim - Jul 31, 2022

197 by chiakimagoto »»
Mar 18, 1:31 AM

» Chihayafuru Sequel - Chihayafuru plus - kimi ga tame announced

ItzElite - Oct 31, 2023

19 by CelticMindset »»
Jan 2, 3:34 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 205 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Dec 7, 2018

79 by Zooincle »»
Oct 31, 2023 9:39 AM

Poll: » Chihayafuru Chapter 134 Discussion

Stark700 - Aug 26, 2014

15 by Zooincle »»
Oct 29, 2023 9:23 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.