Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Attack on Titan
Available on Manga Store
New
May 8, 2019 10:00 PM

Oct 2017
Season 3 Part 2 has over 10,000 ratings of 10 on the site (and I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing). I watched the first two episodes myself, and I thought they were okay, but not "masterpieces." Having watched all 3 seasons of the show, I got kinda frustrated because I felt like the show was relying on cliffhangers and shock value to retain attention rather than developing the cast of characters or presenting interesting themes. Also, the pacing definitely got to me, where I feel like the show handled key events really poorly by interrupting them with unnecessary information (I think flashbacks are a really weak way to progress the plot or characters in general). One other thing is that after Eren's mom (spoiler ig), most of the deaths in the show were those of side characters who we weren't really made to care about, so for me at least a lot of the deaths lacked the impact I was expecting. The music is great, and while I think the character designs are pretty same-y, I get why that is.

BUT... I DON'T HATE THE SHOW! I just want to know why so many people love it, because I feel like there's gotta be something about it that I'm just missing. I'm 100% open to changing my opinion on it.

Also, yes I am pretty new to watching anime, but I really hope I don't get attacked for that, because I honestly just want to know why AOT is so beloved. Thanks!
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 8, 2019 10:20 PM

Nov 2015
papsoshea said:
I'll try to give an answer that you can accept. One of the many reasons was that the anime released at the most perfect time that helped it cross over to the mainstream. When shows like The Walking Dead was at a high in popularity. It brought in a new audience so it was like the "it" gateway show into anime.

Edit: Woopsie lol I misread, I thought I saw "popular" - my bad.

Disagree. This show would take over any year and be as mainstream as it is. Look what Re;zero did to Anime community, and this would be on another level of hype(i prefer Re;Zero to AOT tho)

And also this had a very interesting story with mistery and apocalypse and everything, that's why it's hype.
You cannot spell Light without L
May 8, 2019 11:12 PM
Apr 2017
its a masterpieces with everything
deal with it
May 8, 2019 11:15 PM
Apr 2019
Man this show might be the greatest thing you every watch im serious, all the mysteries,action,blood, and some other stuff it's just great. There's no replacement for this show either really there is non.
May 8, 2019 11:16 PM
Apr 2019
Yandere-Dragon said:
What makes season 3 part 2 a 9.05 is what I'm wondering, I dropped this season one as titan superpowers seemed boring and mcs seemed untouchable. Does it get much better?
man i was also little confused by that really it was little weird.
May 8, 2019 11:17 PM
Aug 2018
Yandere-Dragon said:
What makes season 3 part 2 a 9.05 is what I'm wondering, I dropped this season one as titan superpowers seemed boring and mcs seemed untouchable. Does it get much better?

It has such a high rating because us manga readers know what's coming this season. The only way that I would end up rating this season anything lower than a 10 is if WIT studio royally fucks up the adaptation.

Also no one can answer the question "Does it get much better?" for you. You kinda have to see for yourself because it depends on your personal taste. This story is about so much more than titan superpowers though. Actually since you like Code Geass, I think you might enjoy the direction Attack on Titan takes later on in the series lol.
May 8, 2019 11:35 PM

Dec 2014
Couldn't tell you for certain. I dropped it in the first half of season 3 when they explained what the titans were. The one rule they couldn't break with this sort of thing is explaining where they came from. The answer was never going to be satisfactory and not knowing what exactly they were kept them feeling creepy and mysterious.

Anyways. Very high budget, dramatic, well-animated, clean character designs that consist mostly of extremely skinny or attractive people. That formula tends to create very popular shows. IE Sword Art Online, Code Geass, Re:zero, Your Name, A Silent Voice, Overlord, Another, Your Lie in April, etc. I know that's a wide-encompassing blanket but I feel like that's the kind of show Attack on Titan is and the kind of show that tends to blow up regardless of writing quality. AoT is a show that relies heavily on its high budget animation while managing to constantly engage the audience in and out of action scenes. Not gonna get into whether its good or bad because that doesn't matter here. I think that's why it's popular and other shows that have those elements tend to explode in popularity too.

If I were to go one step further, I'd say these types of shows do the best job of taking their audiences as far away as possible from reality. You have a gorgeous looking world with gorgeous people and drama. For someone looking to take themselves as far as possible from the real world, I can totally see why people would flock to Attack on Titan or any of the other shows I listed.
May 8, 2019 11:42 PM
Sep 2018
Dolabella said:
Season 3 Part 2 has over 10,000 ratings of 10 on the site (and I'm NOT saying this is a bad thing). I watched the first two episodes myself, and I thought they were okay, but not "masterpieces." Having watched all 3 seasons of the show, I got kinda frustrated because I felt like the show was relying on cliffhangers and shock value to retain attention rather than developing the cast of characters or presenting interesting themes. Also, the pacing definitely got to me, where I feel like the show handled key events really poorly by interrupting them with unnecessary information (I think flashbacks are a really weak way to progress the plot or characters in general). One other thing is that after Eren's mom (spoiler ig), most of the deaths in the show were those of side characters who we weren't really made to care about, so for me at least a lot of the deaths lacked the impact I was expecting. The music is great, and while I think the character designs are pretty same-y, I get why that is.

BUT... I DON'T HATE THE SHOW! I just want to know why so many people love it, because I feel like there's gotta be something about it that I'm just missing. I'm 100% open to changing my opinion on it.

Also, yes I am pretty new to watching anime, but I really hope I don't get attacked for that, because I honestly just want to know why AOT is so beloved. Thanks!

Cause aot is not your typical anime where a loli has a crush with her own brother.
May 9, 2019 1:30 AM

Feb 2018
Ah shit, here we go again.

Attack on Titan's premise and timing made it famous as it is now. A great concept and premise with a strong first episode at the time when GoT and walking dead were at their peak.

As for cliffhangers, they were worth it rather than those cliffhangers having no meaning in the subsequent episodes like TPN. Shock factor was never or rarely used as a form of storytelling since season 1. Except for the fact that shock factor is not equivalent to bad writing.

Many characters dying is a form of signifying the terror of Titans. It's a military after all.

Erwin's whole character is based on a theme that our sins follow us no matter what through the people we affect or abandon with those sins; that it doesn't matter how much life sucks, because life is a struggle, and if you aren't struggling for something, then you aren't really living; and that, yeah, death is meaningless, but we live on through the people we inspire.
Another thing that is worth mentioning is Shadis’ entire anecdote about special people, born talent, ambition versus complacency. I’ve never heard anyone say those kinds of things before.

philosophically aot is deep. It explored in depth the various ethical ideals are formed in a society which is under the condition of perpetual existential threat, how those ideals play out their conflict, the tragedy of disillusionment of the idealists, and the moral ambivalence of the Machiavellian pragmatists.

Ever wondered why shape of you is so critically acclaimed? The song has literally 3 chords repeating itself the whole time.
That's what I am comparing with snk, where it is founded on something basic, yet is something complex. The premise started with three big ass walls, people inside it and man eating giants. From there, it is beautiful that how the story progressed into something complex, with robust worldbuilding and lore.
May 9, 2019 1:42 AM
Apr 2019
Attack on titan was literally my first anime i ever watched. It was very popular back then and critically acclaimed by many critics. Now after 6 years, the popularity has been decreased due to 4 years wait for season 2 and many people dropped this series cause they thought aot was gonna be like modern dragon ball anime or something. But there are people who still to this day read aot manga and watch latest episodes cause those people understand what aot is about. Its also funny that how this series started as a generic shonen series and as it progressed, it got complex and the story got way more interesting and unique. Also, i hope that after this season ends, it should stay at 9+.
May 9, 2019 3:24 AM
Apr 2018
Manga Reader here, I'd like to give a bit more insight if possible.
I'll adress the points you made one by one, I think it's best that way.
<Attack on titan Season 1 - 3 spoilers inbound>

"I got kinda frustrated because I felt like the show was relying on cliffhangers and shock value to retain attention"

Which cliffhangers are you reffering to exactly?
The story is based so it has arcs, and each arc tackles one or several important themes about the world or characters. If you're seeing the show on a weekly basis as it is realeased I guess I can understand what you mean by "cliffhangers" but if that is the case, I would suggest you just wait for the whole season to release and then watch it. If after watching it like that, and you pay attention to the story, you still feel the show is cliffhangery, I would again urge you to write which cliffhangers exactly do you reffer to, because I don't see any cliffhangers besides the one case I mentioned.

"rather than developing the cast of characters or presenting interesting themes"

Again, as the previous point, I urge you to elaborate.

The shows main pillars in my opinion are 1) interesting themes 2) characters.
You have Eren, who initially you meet as this hot-headed child aspiring to become a hero and join the Survey Corps, you see how inexperienced and naive he is. Everything about his world view and his life is shattered when the Colossal Titan smashes through the walls. He is introduced to the millitary, he goes to training, and gets stronger so he can leave his naiveté behind, and once again, all of his expectations and plans are shattered when the Colossal Titan strikes again. You see him lose friends, hope, and eventually his own life (kind of). He is of course given a second chance. After he comes back he is unsure of himself, of his newfound powers, he is far from the hot headed naive boy he once was, there is now doubt in him. He is not sure in his own abilities to plug the hole with his titan, and his concearns turn out to be true, he struggles to controll this power and struggles to find a place in this new world he has been thrown in. Skip to the end of the season, where he faces off against Annie. A comrade he once fought beside, and which he thought would never betray him, turns out to be the enemy. He is forced to face off against her, but he doesn't want to. His movement is stiff, brute, he lacks precision, he still has that fire inside him. He's lost people, and knows the pain of losing. He is far from that child dreaming about becoming a hero and exploring the world carelessly with his childhood friends. Compare that fight, to the one where he fights Reiner in season 2, and again, in season 3.
I can write a paragraph 10x bigger for most of the main cast + a big portion of the supporting cast, but I think you can see where I'm going.
If you can honestly say that there is no character development in Attack on Titan, I would say that you haven't been paying attention.
Same goes for the themes of the show.
I could ramble on even more about how wrong I think you are because I know what happens later on in the manga, but I think this is enough to make the point.

"Also, the pacing definitely got to me, where I feel like the show handled key events really poorly by interrupting them with unnecessary information"

Flashbacks are mostly an anime only thing, and are there to remind the viewer of the characters motivations, reasoning, and why they are doing what they are doing at that given point in time. I can agree with you that sometimes they seem a bit reduntant, if one has payed attention and understands what is happening fully, but for most people who are not super into the show and have seen the first season 5+ years ago, it is not difficult to see why they decided to put a small reminder of WHY somoene is doing something.
There are some flashbacks that are purely for story telling, and as far as those are concearned, again, I would have to agree with you on one side, that sometimes they do kinda break the pacing and immersion (More specifically, for instance, I don't like the cut when Annie is chasing Levi squad + Eren in the forrest of giants), But at the same time, as alreayd said, those scenes do serve a purpose, and are vital to the story.

"most of the deaths in the show were those of side characters who we weren't really made to care about"

I don't understand why people always demand deaths of important characters in order for the deaths to have any impact.
Maybe you have't spent 3 seasons with Levi squad, but from the couple of episodes, you can understand who they are to some level, and what they mean to Levi, And that is entirely enough for their deaths to have impact on him + Eren who they were meant to protect, and he felt guilty about when they were killed. I feel like trying to give more meaning past the context provided is not neccessary.

Attack on Titan was my first "real" anime. The first time I watched it, I missed so much stuff. So trust me when I tell you that the story is amazing (but as with all stories, will not appeal to everyone). It is handled in a really good way, and Isayama is master of his craft.
It took me 2 more re-watches to fully catch every detail, and only then I realized how much everything made sense and how well it was crafted. Now this of course can be a subjectve matter so I won't say that everyone will like AoT because that's just absurd, BUT if you do have a liking for it, and you don't quiet understand it fully, I advise you to do as I did which is: Read the manga, and then go back to the anime.
You wil have SO MUCH MORE CONTEXT to every single little detail, and your mind will be blown by how well everything is settup, and handled.
(I am lying a bit, there are a few things I think are handled badly, but that's manga spoilers territory, so i'll just stick to what I said originally, because this thing might change since the manga is not over yet and those things might be resolved in a good way by the end)

p.s. apologies for any grammar mistakes or typos
KasterrFeb 24, 2020 6:39 AM
I just keep moving forward, until my enemies are destroyed.
May 9, 2019 3:37 AM

Oct 2015
DiscoMilf said:
Couldn't tell you for certain. I dropped it in the first half of season 3 when they explained what the titans were. The one rule they couldn't break with this sort of thing is explaining where they came from. The answer was never going to be satisfactory and not knowing what exactly they were kept them feeling creepy and mysterious.

I'm not sure why you came into the series not expecting the nature of the titans to be explained at some point. The story can't progress much without expanding on its lore.

There's always going to be mixed opinions on the nature of the titans, but what's more important is how that fact is explored and Isayama is doing a tremendous job building on it in the manga.
May 9, 2019 6:14 AM

Jan 2015
story, plot , world, characters, mystery, everything

also compare it to other anime 99.9% of them are trash, so not hard to be a masterpiece in this industry
(like other popular ones which are garbage are: fate, bnha, shield hero) just to mention a few
May 9, 2019 6:21 AM
Mar 2019
Oh man, lets hope this thread doesnt go into a burning hellhole like others did when they asked a similar question.

That aside, people enjoy it for the mystery element it brings and the fact we learn at the same pace as the characters about the world. Anime usually has the characters knowing more about the world than we do so we can be spoon fed by them, which im normally fine with, but it gets old being treated like an infant as a viewer with information about the lore and world. However, in this series, pretty much everyone is in the dark, and once you finally get the juicy details youve been wanting, it feels so satisfactory learning them along side characters you experienced this unknown world with. Thats one of the big reasons I enjoy it, anyways.
nanidatosama97May 9, 2019 6:25 AM
May 9, 2019 6:48 AM

Apr 2019
absolutely radiating brilliant story and world, amazing plot and character progression
intriguing mystery, amazing ost and art, overall a big cast with spectacular side characters
there is nothing really else to say, there aren't any flaws in this show
what other people see as flaws aren't really flaws, its just subjective, the animation quality is decent and the voice acting is brilliant and makes characters even more memorable than they already are

You son of a .. turtle

May 9, 2019 7:26 AM
Mar 2019
Nim0174 said:
absolutely radiating brilliant story and world, amazing plot and character progression
intriguing mystery, amazing ost and art, overall a big cast with spectacular side characters
what other people see as flaws aren't really flaws, its just subjective, the animation quality is decent and the voice acting is brilliant and makes characters even more memorable than they already are

"There arent any flaws in this show."
There are always flaws in any show, nothing is perfect.
May 9, 2019 7:38 AM

Oct 2013
DiscoMilf said:

Anyways. Very high budget, dramatic, well-animated, clean character designs that consist mostly of extremely skinny or attractive people. That formula tends to create very popular shows. IE Sword Art Online, Code Geass, Re:zero, Your Name, A Silent Voice, Overlord, Another, Your Lie in April, etc. I know that's a wide-encompassing blanket but I feel like that's the kind of show Attack on Titan is and the kind of show that tends to blow up regardless of writing quality. AoT is a show that relies heavily on its high budget animation while managing to constantly engage the audience in and out of action scenes. Not gonna get into whether its good or bad because that doesn't matter here. I think that's why it's popular and other shows that have those elements tend to explode in popularity too.

If I were to go one step further, I'd say these types of shows do the best job of taking their audiences as far away as possible from reality. You have a gorgeous looking world with gorgeous people and drama. For someone looking to take themselves as far as possible from the real world, I can totally see why people would flock to Attack on Titan or any of the other shows I listed.

The answer you got in the 3rd season that titans are humans was a obvious answer, but you have basically just scratch the surface of it, and I know what you are thinking, what else is there to know? Please go and follow the 3rd season of part 2, because when you finish season 3 part 2, your opinion is going to turn upside down.

Reaching so far into the series and dropping it right before reaching the most important part in the series is criminal itself.

I can counter that argument you were saying that attack on titan is popular because of its high budget, that the manga was really popular before the anime and if you heard plenty of folks said the art sucks, but people loved it for its story. Attack on titan manga doesn't have those cool budget and ost in the manga.

''You have a gorgeous looking world with gorgeous people and drama''

I'm sorry I don't know who would want to live in the attack on titan world. lol or do you mean it has a interesting dark atmosphere that draws in people?

keragammingMay 9, 2019 7:42 AM
May 9, 2019 8:21 AM

Apr 2019
nanidatosama97 said:
Nim0174 said:

"There arent any flaws in this show."
There are always flaws in any show, nothing is perfect.

its a matter of perspective
just for reference, im not counting minor flaws like a couple of animation mistakes or stuff like that
tell me a hundred "flaws" and i'll say these are all positive things, depending on how you argue u can turn around any flaw into something positive
You son of a .. turtle

May 9, 2019 8:22 AM
Mar 2019
@Nim0174

You're acting like factual flaws in entertainment dont exist, when they do.
May 9, 2019 8:27 AM

Apr 2019
nanidatosama97 said:
@Nim0174

You're acting like factual flaws in entertainment dont exist, when they do.

they arent flaws, its just the potential hasn't been used to its fullest
the potential of any show is never used to its fullest, that doesnt make it less of a masterpiece
You son of a .. turtle

May 9, 2019 8:57 AM

Dec 2014
JUUSEE said:
DiscoMilf said:

I'm not sure why you came into the series not expecting the nature of the titans to be explained at some point. The story can't progress much without expanding on its lore.

There's always going to be mixed opinions on the nature of the titans, but what's more important is how that fact is explored and Isayama is doing a tremendous job building on it in the manga.

It's like The Thing. What makes that movie so fucking rad is they never explain where it came from. All we as an audience know is that it crash landed in the Arctic and it assimilates living organisms until it has assimilated them all. They never give us backstory on what it did before it landed on earth or even what it originally looked like.

Because of that, it allows your mind to wander and fill in the gaps yourself. It could have assimilated thousands of other planets before reaching ours, and that is terrifying. We don't know! Even the final scene is ambiguous! We have no idea if Childs or MacCready have been assimilated and that ambiguity makes the ending fascinating. Also, the movie had the good sense not to tell us anything about it because good horror often relies on the unknown, especially when it comes to monster flicks. Fear itself is derived from what we don't know. That's what makes the titans so fucking creepy to me. It's these weird, lanky bastards with stupid faces that chase any human around and until the point they told us why, it worked. I didn't wanna know why they chased people or where they came from.

There's a quote from one of the writers of Blade Runner 2049 in reference to whether or not Harrison Ford's character is a replicant:

"It is the act of discussing it that is interesting and makes the film endure.

It is the welcoming of ambiguity, uncertainty, and irresolution that makes this interesting."

That's how I feel about the titans. Once they explained what they were, I stopped caring completely. There was no real need to explain what they are. You might think they do, but stories often work better if their more alluring elements aren't fully explained, i.e. The Thing or Blade Runner

keragamming said:

I can counter that argument you were saying that attack on titan is popular because of its high budget, that the manga was really popular before the anime and if you heard plenty of folks said the art sucks, but people loved it for its story. Attack on titan manga doesn't have those cool budget and ost in the manga.

I didn't say it was popular because of its budget. I said its structure depends on its budget. It is popular because of its dramatic storylines, skinny/attractive characters designs, high-flying animation, and brilliant art.

keragamming said:

lol or do you mean it has a interesting dark atmosphere that draws in people?

Correct!
BuuubbblesssMay 9, 2019 9:05 AM
May 9, 2019 9:32 AM
Nov 2018
DiscoMilf said:
JUUSEE said:

It's like The Thing. What makes that movie so fucking rad is they never explain where it came from. All we as an audience know is that it crash landed in the Arctic and it assimilates living organisms until it has assimilated them all. They never give us backstory on what it did before it landed on earth or even what it originally looked like.

Because of that, it allows your mind to wander and fill in the gaps yourself. It could have assimilated thousands of other planets before reaching ours, and that is terrifying. We don't know! Even the final scene is ambiguous! We have no idea if Childs or MacCready have been assimilated and that ambiguity makes the ending fascinating. Also, the movie had the good sense not to tell us anything about it because good horror often relies on the unknown, especially when it comes to monster flicks. Fear itself is derived from what we don't know. That's what makes the titans so fucking creepy to me. It's these weird, lanky bastards with stupid faces that chase any human around and until the point they told us why, it worked. I didn't wanna know why they chased people or where they came from.

There's a quote from one of the writers of Blade Runner 2049 in reference to whether or not Harrison Ford's character is a replicant:

"It is the act of discussing it that is interesting and makes the film endure.

It is the welcoming of ambiguity, uncertainty, and irresolution that makes this interesting."

That's how I feel about the titans. Once they explained what they were, I stopped caring completely. There was no real need to explain what they are. You might think they do, but stories often work better if their more alluring elements aren't fully explained, i.e. The Thing or Blade Runner

keragamming said:

I didn't say it was popular because of its budget. I said its structure depends on its budget. It is popular because of its dramatic storylines, skinny/attractive characters designs, high-flying animation, and brilliant art.

keragamming said:

lol or do you mean it has a interesting dark atmosphere that draws in people?

Correct!

...But Attack on Titan is nothing like "The Thing", the origin of the titans is one of the most important things in the plot and you'll realise it if you had read the manga
May 9, 2019 9:51 AM

Dec 2014
It's simply not, that's the answer.
May 9, 2019 9:58 AM
Mar 2019
Venumidas said:

You can give your opinion, but be constructive about it. He asked for reasons why he sees it as so, not as to reasons why its not.
May 9, 2019 10:17 AM

Oct 2013
nanidatosama97 said:
Venumidas said:

You can give your opinion, but be constructive about it. He asked for reasons why he sees it as so, not as to reasons why its not.

@DiscoMilf

That is what the series seems to be going for though, you think that titans being humans is the real mystery of the series, and also there is a twist in that.

Ok, you want me to spoil you on what I'm talking about in your profile? Since you have no intention of watching it?
May 9, 2019 10:35 AM

Jul 2015
people dislike the new GoT thinking they have taste or standards, but i bet they gobble shit like this up, cringe
May 9, 2019 10:36 AM

Dec 2014
pichulandiaaaa said:

...But Attack on Titan is nothing like "The Thing", the origin of the titans is one of the most important things in the plot and you'll realise it if you had read the manga

Is the manga better? The anime is so over-the-top and silly I have a hard time taking it seriously as drama.

keragamming said:

@DiscoMilf

That is what the series seems to be going for though, you think that titans being humans is the real mystery of the series, and also there is a twist in that.

Ok, you want me to spoil you on what I'm talking about in your profile? Since you have no intention of watching it?

I'd prefer you didn't.

I think I was just struggling through the current part. Season 1 and 2 were pretty entertaining but S3 slooooooooooooooooooooooooooowed down and explaining the titans just killed my buzz. I'll get back to it eventually. If I can force myself to watch season 4 of My Hero Academy after suffering through season 3 I can push myself through S3 of AoT
May 9, 2019 10:44 AM

Oct 2013
@DiscoMilf

Yes you could read the manga, plus you can go at your own pace, each chapter has 45 pages. The uprising arc in season 3 part 1 is pretty slow so it is understandable.

Part 1 of season 3 ended at chapter 73, if you read snk manga from that chapter and caught up to the latest chapter, you will have a different opinion of what you have now of the series, now whether that is positive or negative is up to you, but there are people who have drop the series because of the big drastic changes.

Some now really love the series with this new change, while other prefer it stay like what it was in season 1 to 3.
May 9, 2019 10:53 AM
May 2018
Dolabella said:

A lot of people read the manga (including myself). Most of those 10 ratings are based of our own experience. We know this arc is the best so far and one of the best around. Since now, everything is adapted with Wit quality. I don’t want to wrong you but first episode this season was not okay, it was great. I know you are new but in anime things are done in different ways as it does for real shows. About deaths, just think death is coming and you don’t know when. Anyone can die in this anime I’m just saying.
May 9, 2019 11:00 AM
Mar 2019
Peco said:
people dislike the new GoT thinking they have taste or standards, but i bet they gobble shit like this up, cringe

Who are you to decide if people have tastes/standards or not? Cause this is how your comment comes off across, snobby and a bit stuck up. You sound a bit salty as well that people simply dislike the new season of GOT.
nanidatosama97May 9, 2019 11:11 AM
May 9, 2019 11:03 AM
Jul 2018
why are we getting forums asking why the show is loved or why the show is hated? not complaining tho

not sure how to explain why it is so loved but I guess it's because it's keeps the audience on the edge of their seat on every episode to see what happens next and to find out the origin of titans.

Besides it doesn't give tasteless fanservice or cliches like other action fantasy anime.
May 9, 2019 11:17 AM

Oct 2013
Peco said:

I can be a snobby asshole just like you, people that like ping pong or those shitty slice of life shows where nothing happens doesn't deserve to have a opinion on a show.

See, easy wasn't it? We all can be assholes just like you, but we choose not to.

Now get the hell out of this sub forum if you don't have anything constructive to say.
May 9, 2019 11:19 AM
Jun 2017
you don't like it because your taste is different than most people,and there is nothing wrong with that,AOT is my favorite anime,my second is HxH,even though I can't deny the fact that HxH is better when it comes to writing and characters.
May 9, 2019 11:35 AM

Oct 2018
It's gonna get a lot of hate after they adapt chapter 105. Hoping they don't actually.
May 9, 2019 11:37 AM
Mar 2019
Birdsanddrugs said:
It's gonna get a lot of hate after they adapt chapter 105. Hoping they don't actually.

Its only covering chapters 73 to 90 for this cour though
May 9, 2019 12:16 PM
Jan 2019
the immediate draw of the show is the titans, it’s an awesome concept and works well as a mix of thriller and horror. but what makes this series amazing is how it builds on that idea, and how the narrative and the characters evolve. without spoiling anything, where the series is now is almost unrecognisable compared to to where it began, but it is still carrying the same themes and ideas, just totally transformed
May 9, 2019 1:02 PM

Jul 2015
nanidatosama97 said:
Peco said:

Who are you to decide if people have tastes/standards or not? Cause this is how your comment comes off across, snobby and a bit stuck up. You sound a bit salty as well that people simply dislike the new season of GOT.

i dont watch GoT lol
keragamming said:
Peco said:

I can be a snobby asshole just like you, people that like ping pong or those shitty slice of life shows where nothing happens doesn't deserve to have a opinion on a show.

See, easy wasn't it? We all can be assholes just like you, but we choose not to.

Now get the hell out of this sub forum if you don't have anything constructive to say.

lol they love it sooo much that they cant even bother to watch it.. from 1m users in S1 to 20k now, smh my head LOL
May 9, 2019 1:09 PM
Mar 2019
Peco said:
nanidatosama97 said:

i dont watch GoT lol
keragamming said:

lol they love it sooo much that they cant even bother to watch it.. from 1m users in S1 to 20k now, smh my head LOL

MAL fanbase doesnt dictate the entire fanbase, I hope you know that obvious fact.
May 9, 2019 1:40 PM
Feb 2017
The main reasson this season is rated so highly is that most of its detractors already dropped it a long time ago.
Only people who actually atleas "liked" the earlier seasons will bother watching, and scoring this season.
May 9, 2019 1:41 PM
Feb 2017
The main reasson this season is rated so highly is that most of its detractors already dropped it a long time ago.
Only people who actually atleas "liked" the earlier seasons will bother watching, and scoring this season.
May 9, 2019 1:55 PM

Oct 2017
Kasterr said:
Manga Reader here, i'd like to give a bit more insight if possible.
I'll adress the points you made one by one, i think it's best that way.
<Attack on titan Season 1 - 3 spoilers inbound>

"I got kinda frustrated because I felt like the show was relying on cliffhangers and shock value to retain attention"

Which cliffhangers are you reffering to exactly?
The story is based so it has arcs, and each arc tackles one or several important themes about the world or characters. If you're seeing the show on a weekly basis as it is realeased i guess i can understand what you mean by "cliffhangers" but if that is the case, i would suggest you just wait for the whole season to release and then watch it. If after watching it like that, and you pay attention to the story, you still feel the show is cliffhangery, i would again urge you to write which cliffhangers exactly do you reffer to, because i don't see any cliffhangers besides the one case i mentioned.

" rather than developing the cast of characters or presenting interesting themes"

Again, as the previous point, i urge you to elaborate.

The shows main pillars are Interesting Themes and Characters.
You have Eren, who initially you meet as this hot-headed child aspiring to become a hero and join the survey corps, you see how inexperienced and naive he is. Everything about his world view and his life is shattered when the Colossal Titan smashes through the walls. He is introduced to the millitary, he goes to training, and gets stronger so he can leave his naiveté behind, and once again, all of his expectations and plans are shattered when the colossal titan strikes again. You see him lose friends, hope, and eventually his own life. He is of course given a second chance. After he comes back he is unsure of himself, of his newfound powers, he is far from the hot headed naive boy he once was, there is now doubt in him. He is not sure in his own abilities to plug the hole with his titan, and his concearns turn out to be true, he struggles to controll this power and struggles to find a place in this new world he has been thrown in. Skip to the end of the season, where he faces off against Annie. A comrade he once fought besides, and which he thought would never betray him, turns out to be the enemy. He is forced to face off against her, but he doesn't want to. His movement is stiff, brute, he lacks precision, he still has that fire inside him. He's lost people, and knows the pain of losing. He is far from that child dreaming about becoming a hero and exploring the world carelessly with his childhood friends. Compare that fight, to the one where he fights Reiner in season 2, and again, now in Season 3.
I can write a paragraph 10x bigger for most of the main cast + a big portion of the supporting cast, but i think you can see where i'm going.
If you can honestly say that there is no character development in Attack on Titan, i would say that you haven't been paying attention AT ALL, and that you should go watch something simpler and more easy to digest.
Same goes for the themes of the show.
I could ramble on even more about how wrong i think you are because i know what happens later on in the manga, but i think this is enough to make a point.

"Also, the pacing definitely got to me, where I feel like the show handled key events really poorly by interrupting them with unnecessary information"
Flashbacks are mostly an anime only thing, and are there to remind the viewer of the characters motivations, reasoning, and why they are doing what they are doing at that given point in time. I can agree with you that sometimes they seem a bit reduntant, if one has payed attention and understands what is happening fully, but to most people who are not super into the show and have seen the first season 5+ years ago, it is not difficult to see why they decided to put a small reminder of WHY somoene is doing something.
There are some flashbacks that are purely for story telling, and as far as those are concearned, again, i would have to agree with you on one side, that sometimes they do kinda break the pacing and immersion (Specifically i for instance don't like the cut when Annie is chasing Levi squad + Eren in the forrest of giants), But at the same time, as alreayd said, those scenes do serve a purpose, and are vital to the story.

"most of the deaths in the show were those of side characters who we weren't really made to care about"

I don't understand why people always demand deaths of important characters in order for the deaths to have any impact.
Maybe you have't spent 3 seasons with Levi squad, but from the couple of episodes, you can understand who they are to some level, and what they mean to Levi, And that is entirely enough for their deaths to have impact on him + Eren who they were meant to protect, and he felt guilty about when they were killed. I feel like trying to give more meaning past the context provided is not neccessary.
If you feel like any character besides the main ones dying serves no purpose, you should probably just stick to watching Game of Thrones, that show will quench your bloodthirst 100%.

Attack on Titan was my first "real" anime. The first time i watched it, i missed so much stuff. So trust me when i tell you that the story is amazing. It is handled in a really good way, and Isayama is master of his craft.
It took me 2 more re-watches to fully catch every detail, and only then i realized how much everything made sense and how well it was crafted. Now this of course can be a subjectve matter so i won't say that everyone will like AoT because that's just absurd, BUT, if you do have a liking for it ,and you don't quoiet understand it fully. i urge you to do as i did which is: Read the manga, and then go back on the anime.
You wil have SO MUCH MORE CONTEXT to every single little detail, and your mind will be blown by how well everything is settup, and handled.
(I am lying a bit, there is one and only thing i think is handled badly, but that's manga spoilers territory, so i'll just stick to what i said originally, because this thing might change since the manga is not over yet and that thing might be resolved in a good matter by the end)

p.s. apologies for any grammar mistakes or typos

Thanks so much for your super-detailed answer! The stuff you quoted was just my personal impressions of the show, I'm not touting it as if it's objective fact, but I definitely can see that it's a lot deeper than I thought. I should def rewatch it if I missed that much. (Manga are too expensive for me, but i appreciate the rec)
May 9, 2019 2:00 PM

Oct 2017
K, thanks everyone for your inputs! What I'm getting the most is that the mystery element is what really makes the show shine, and while I didn't particularly enjoy that, that's totally just personal taste. I really appreciate you all sharing why you love the show, and while it's not a 10 in my book I 100% get why it is for so many other ppl!

also the GOT roasting is killing me lmao
May 9, 2019 2:16 PM

Mar 2013
How is not a masterpiece? I mean, the level of detail in battles, the fighting scenes that are actual MMA fighting techniques and not just your typical anime fights with stupid power ups and huge explosions. The fact they refer to older seasons, and the way it is all connected make it feel like the story is already set. Best part about the show is the suspense, seriously you complain about cliff hangers, but I have never watched an anime that makes me question what will happen or why things are the way they are in a show like this anime did. So much mystery, and to top it all off I personally love the cast. Armin is smart, mikasa is badass, and Eren is your typical guy who has conviction but also doubts his abilities due to all the pressure/expectations humanity puts on him.

That's my take to why this show is so loved.
May 9, 2019 2:56 PM
Jul 2018
Peco said:

And you hate it so much that you can't even give proper reason why you think it's bad. You are stating that it went from 1m to 20k users but the 20k are the users who only scored it. I could explain more but I don't think I should give much shit to haters. Think of some better way to try to insult the show next time :)
May 9, 2019 4:40 PM

Aug 2012
Peco said:
nanidatosama97 said:

i dont watch GoT lol
keragamming said:

lmao you really using MAL as an indication of how many people are watching it.
May 9, 2019 5:18 PM

Jul 2012
The best answer is probably just watch it by yourself and brace yourself for the espectacular reveals and twists by the end of this current season.
May 9, 2019 6:22 PM

Dec 2014
nanidatosama97 said:
Venumidas said:

He asked what makes it universaly loved, but it isn't, my comment from a standpoint of his question is not wrong.
May 9, 2019 7:08 PM
Jul 2018
Its unpredictable, it has great plot twists, the character developments are fantastic. Also just the entire meta of the story is great.
May 9, 2019 11:02 PM

Oct 2018
Yazan_Aot said:
its a masterpieces with everything
deal with it

People like you are what ruin these kinds of shows

May 10, 2019 12:00 AM

Mar 2014
We're three seasons in and people are still asking this question?

Smh
"You can't spell slaughter without laughter".
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 2, 2019

802 by jebras »»
Yesterday, 10:08 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 30, 2019

668 by Beqapapi »»
Apr 12, 1:14 PM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Thorf - May 26, 2019

734 by lightning19 »»
Apr 12, 7:59 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 19, 2019

345 by JoestarEISH_020 »»
Mar 31, 8:10 AM

Poll: » Shingeki no Kyojin Season 3 Part 2 Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Tsarko - May 11, 2019

369 by TheNewGuy7204 »»
Mar 28, 7:57 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.