Forum Settings
Forums
The Ghost in the Shell
Available on Manga Store
New
Apr 28, 2019 11:10 AM

Feb 2013
Everyone outside of Japan knows Ghost in the Shell as Ghost in the Shell. It's needlessly confusing to use the untranslated title. Despite being on this site for an age I have no idea where to go to request a title change, so I'll post it here.
Apr 28, 2019 11:14 AM

Oct 2014
I guess we need to summon some mods here
@arsonal @Leknaat @svaax @Naruleach
why did the title change?
Apr 28, 2019 11:15 AM

Sep 2016
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's to bring it in line with most of the listings on here, with the main title being in Japanese

So in other words, for consistency

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

May 1, 2019 3:12 AM

Jan 2009
maybe they are doing this in preparation for that long promise title language switch button they promise years ago
May 1, 2019 5:36 AM

Jun 2015
Finally MAL starts to change the names and I hope they will do it with other anime too
May 1, 2019 5:55 AM

Nov 2016
Next are

Wan Pīsu

Desu Nōto

Shutainzu Gēto

Or even better, let's start using Kanji.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

May 1, 2019 5:21 PM

May 2015
Sharpoint said:
If I were to hazard a guess, I'd say it's to bring it in line with most of the listings on here, with the main title being in Japanese

Yeah, but it was "Ghost in the Shell" for so many years. Like why would they just suddenly start caring about it being consistent now?

May 1, 2019 7:28 PM

Sep 2016
TsukuyomiREKT said:
Sharpoint said:

Yeah, but it was "Ghost in the Shell" for so many years. Like why would they just suddenly start caring about it being consistent now?

I think they've been changing titles for a while know, I guess it was just this anime's turn
SharpointMay 1, 2019 7:32 PM

300th pun
xchyssa said:
You got some nice viewpoint there, I always know I can't fool you with my sharpest tagging skills

May 1, 2019 9:24 PM

Feb 2013
Sharpoint said:
TsukuyomiREKT said:

I think they've been changing titles for a while know, I guess it was just this anime's turn
You're telling me we're gradually descending into an inevitable hellscape where every title on MAL is in Japanese? This news is chilling.
May 4, 2019 10:21 AM

Nov 2011
one could always make a compromise between the english and japanese name. call it
Ghost in the 機動隊
You can buy lossless digital music from your favorite Japanese artists on https://ototoy.jp/.
The songs are all DRM-free and you can re-download your purchased albums as you wish.
Show your support to your favorite artist if you can!
ps. if you are looking for Japanese albums, you have to search it in Japanese (not romaji). Just copy and paste the name.

For those who want to learn Japanese through anime
Resources for learning the language
May 6, 2019 6:23 AM

Oct 2009
Terrible idea that will hurt discoverability massively on the site, people looking at their own lists won't even recognise it.

In the case of Ghost in the Shell the name is just better not even just more well known, it is thematically far more appropriate, they even talk about ghosts in shells (using the english word ghost) as a concept in the movies and the show all the time.

If there really is going to be a setting that we can use to choose between Japanese and English titles that's also a bad idea since lots of shows are much better known by their japanese titles and vice versa.
May 6, 2019 6:38 AM

Oct 2009
KanonDE said:
Finally MAL starts to change the names and I hope they will do it with other anime too

Says the guy who only watched the movie and gave it a 2, what a surprise that this doesn't bother you.
May 6, 2019 6:49 AM

Jun 2015
TopgunUK said:
KanonDE said:

Says the guy who only watched the movie and gave it a 2, what a surprise that this doesn't bother you.

??????????????

Why should it matter what I watched and how I rated it if I wish that MAL changes to the japanese name for other anime too lol

But seeing as how this anime here seems to be your fave one, I guess you're just bitter that someone didn't like it
May 6, 2019 7:06 AM

Oct 2009
KanonDE said:
TopgunUK said:

??????????????

Why should it matter what I watched and how I rated it if I wish that MAL changes to the japanese name for other anime too lol

But seeing as how this anime here seems to be your fave one, I guess you're just bitter that someone didn't like it

Actually no I'm really not interested in your personal tastes, just thought that since you clearly don't care about this anime you wouldn't care about a decision like this that hurts it.

If you really just think it should all be consistent I disagree, but we'll still be left with tons of english titles arbitrarily since plenty of Anime have english titles in Japan too.

In this particular case we're talking about the title the author actually wanted for the work, the publisher made him go with Mobile Armored Riot Police in Japan which doesn't even fittingly describe the job of section 9 and is never referenced in the work itself.

Ghosts as a concept are referenced all throughout using the english word.

Not using Ghost in the Shell for this work is taking consistency too far, and we're really just one step away from doing what FMmatron joked about.

Batoru rowaiaru anyone?
May 6, 2019 7:07 AM
News Team
YEEHAW

Nov 2014
Because it wasn't weeb enuff for MAL's staff
STOP SLEEPING ON ODD TAXI

May 7, 2019 3:45 AM

Aug 2014
what a dumbass change

cant wait for Hagane no Renkinjutsushi, top rated MAL anime
May 7, 2019 4:41 AM

Mar 2012
TopgunUK said:
Terrible idea that will hurt discoverability massively on the site, people looking at their own lists won't even recognise it.

In the case of Ghost in the Shell the name is just better not even just more well known, it is thematically far more appropriate, they even talk about ghosts in shells (using the english word ghost) as a concept in the movies and the show all the time.

If there really is going to be a setting that we can use to choose between Japanese and English titles that's also a bad idea since lots of shows are much better known by their japanese titles and vice versa.

^This
What a terrible idea, I don't understand...
May 8, 2019 7:19 PM

Jan 2015
The name change is stupid. Even the japanese posters have Ghost in The Shell in them. Its the name of the movie, in the original posters. The japanese manga name is "攻殻機動隊 THE GHOST IN THE SHELL". It is known as Ghost In The Shell. That's how stupid the change is.
May 8, 2019 7:40 PM

Jun 2015
I can chime in here. The Japanese actually mainly refer to the anime as "Ghost in the Shell", with "Koukaku Kidoutai" as the subtitle. So we should absolutely leave the main title as "Ghost in the Shell".

As simple proof, here is the Japanese Wikipedia article on the anime: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_/_%E6%94%BB%E6%AE%BB%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E9%9A%8A

Note how they primarily refer to it as "Ghost in the Shell" (or ゴースト・イン・ザ・シェル) within the article. Mods (if anyone can ping them, that'd be great), I think I've made a completely bullet-proof case, so you should definitely change the main title back to "Ghost in the Shell".

To be clear, I'm an absolute proponent of how titles have been handled on this site (Japanese names, Hepburn romanization, using the English words when they should be). But in this case, you guys have got it wrong. The official Japanese title IS "Ghost in the Shell".
chausiesMay 17, 2019 2:35 PM
May 9, 2019 7:57 PM

Nov 2013
I can't believe they changed the name, seems nonsensical.
First Berserk now this. Smh
May 10, 2019 7:09 PM

Dec 2016
Can't wait for the day when it's the turn of one of MAL's sacred cow: FMA:B.

Oh boi that's gonna be juicy
May 12, 2019 2:51 AM

Feb 2014
As if it wasn't bad enough they weebed the titles of Spice and Wolf and Paranoia Agent. Who even calls them by their Japanese names? I didn't know MAL's primary demographic was weebs who refuse to use any English titles. The vast majority of people on this site are non-Japanese, who prefer to use a mix of Japanese and English titles, depending upon which is more popular, sounds appropriate, and/or convenient. Forcing Japanese titles on them in the name of "consistency" doesn't make much sense, especially since like others have said, it will affect the discoverability of anime.
May 14, 2019 5:12 PM

Feb 2013
So... @arsonal @Leknaat @svaax @Naruleach

Given that there hasn't been a change in more than two weeks, I guess we're stuck with this?

We are damned.

See
chausies said:
I can chime in here. The Japanese actually mainly refer to the anime as "Ghost in the Shell", with "Koukaku Kidoutai" as the subtitle. So we should absolutely leave the main title as "Ghost in the Shell".

As simple proof, here is the Japanese Wikipedia article on the anime: https://ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/GHOST_IN_THE_SHELL_/_%E6%94%BB%E6%AE%BB%E6%A9%9F%E5%8B%95%E9%9A%8A

Note how they primarily refer to it as "Ghost in the Shell" (or ゴースト・イン・ザ・シェル). Mods (if anyone can ping them, that'd be great), I think I've made a completely bullet-proof case, so you should definitely change the main title back to "Ghost in the Shell".
for the most obvious reason why this was a mistake.
Daddy-OMay 14, 2019 5:16 PM
May 17, 2019 2:24 PM

Oct 2014
Arbitrarily changing something on a moderators whim shouldn't be allowed, something so arbitrary should be a user feature to display whatever title they want as the main title if anything. What's the basis?

It also seems as @chausies suggests, Koukaku Kidoutai is the subtitle in the first place, lol.

I don't believe in the Devil.
You should. He believes in you.
May 18, 2019 2:56 PM

Aug 2010
Oh Lord, even GiTS got the "consistency" treatment now?? We are doomed...
May 19, 2019 2:42 PM

Oct 2014
Now I’m gonna second guess myself every time I see the title of one of my favorite movies because I don’t recognize the damn Japanese name. Thanks, MAL.
May 19, 2019 5:16 PM

Aug 2016

Crying over literally nothing.
May 24, 2019 6:08 PM
Mar 2015
First Berserk, Then Eureka 7 and GITS. What the fuck is up with all that weebshit? Either give us the toggle option, or stop changing the damn names into gibberish. Not everyone is a diehard weebu who understand japanese. And consistency is a stupid ass argument. Who asked for consistency in the first place? Leave the titles that are widely known in the English form, in English. Is that so fucking hard?
Jun 4, 2019 3:12 PM
Jul 2018
KanonDE said:

I think this is a terrible idea because people who are new to the site will have a harder time finding anime they've seen before creating the account or even people who have an account won't know what to click on for the name of the anime
Jun 6, 2019 12:42 PM
Sep 2012
Crappy title changes on MAL, what's new? I still don't get "Captain HERLOCK" , I'm not surprised anymore...
Jun 12, 2019 1:55 PM
Jul 2018
Ghost in the shell>any other name. MAL needs to take notes
Jul 20, 2019 9:53 PM
Jul 2018
Sharpoint said:

Should we make Fullmetal Alchemist "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi", then? (Please no)
Jul 22, 2019 9:10 AM

Jun 2013
It's okay to change. Just add the English title using on configurations, as Anilist did. 99% of users will choose title in English.
Jul 22, 2019 9:49 AM

Sep 2016
rodolfoemiliano said:
It's okay to change. Just add the English title using on configurations, as Anilist did. 99% of users will choose title in English.

Providing I interpreted this right
An option would be great, to choose between the two

300th pun
xchyssa said:

Jul 23, 2019 5:38 AM

Jun 2013
@Sharpoint Exactly. But this site hardly changes. It seems they are afraid to innovate.
Aug 4, 2019 4:53 PM

Dec 2015
So they still haven’t fixed that nonsense huh
Aug 4, 2019 5:01 PM

Feb 2013
KingRequiem said:
So they still haven’t fixed that nonsense huh
Looks like we're trapped in weab dystopia forevermore.
Sep 27, 2019 3:54 PM

Oct 2010
As a ghost in the shell fantard I do not approve of this, it's stupid, what proof do the mods have that this is called koukaku kidoutai? will they change, let's say for example, guilty crown's name too? giruti kuraun? or what?
Sep 27, 2019 6:04 PM

Sep 2016
I disagree with the name change, but even I can do a simple google search dude
That is the official japanese name. Ghost in the Shell is the title it was changed to in the west

300th pun
xchyssa said:

Feb 3, 2020 11:44 AM

Jan 2012
I just noticed the change.

Everybody knows this show as "Ghost in the shell", renaming it might throw people off from watching it if they see the japanese name in the list. "Koukaku Kidoutai" doesn't ring any bells.

Oct 27, 2020 5:39 PM
Sep 2012
Oh, another nonsensical "puritanism" change... I'm waiting the moment the site will be Watashi No Anime Risuto
Mar 10, 2021 3:46 AM
Jul 2018
Very good, they should change every anime title!
Aug 9, 2021 2:41 PM
Jul 2018
HeroicIdealism said:
Sharpoint said:

Should we make Fullmetal Alchemist "Hagane no Renkinjutsushi", then? (Please no)

So... when is Fullmetal Alchemist going to be changed to Hagane no Renkinjutsushi? You know... for consistency.

More topics from this board

» How do you describe Motoko Kusanagi's dilemma?

Mehwish_999 - Yesterday

2 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
2 hours ago

Poll: » Ghost in the Shell Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

naikou - Jan 29, 2009

166 by notalai »»
Apr 8, 12:04 AM

» How bad are the Ghost in the Shell Blu Rays?

JiffyBone - Mar 12, 2018

8 by Seiidou »»
Aug 6, 2023 8:51 PM

» The Original Movie Was Better

Densel_ - Nov 13, 2022

10 by Densel_ »»
May 7, 2023 9:49 PM

» Canon story watch order?

WeebiBOY - Jan 21, 2023

4 by giffica »»
Jan 21, 2023 4:58 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.