Forum Settings
Forums

Light Novel 'Adachi to Shimamura' Gets TV Anime Adaptation

New
May 7, 2019 4:42 AM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Publishing company Kadokawa announced a television anime adaptation of Hitoma Iruma's Adachi to Shimamura (Adachi and Shimamura) yuri light novel series on Tuesday. More information regarding the anime adaptation will be announced on the Dengeki Bunko official website and Twitter account, Dengeki Bunko Magazine, and the author's official website at a later time.

Synopsis
Looking for a quiet place to sit around while she's skipping class, Adachi goes to the second floor of the gym and meets Shimamura. The pair spends time talking about their favorite TV shows and cooking, playing table tennis sometimes, and gradually develops a friendship. Meanwhile, Adachi starts having special feelings for Shimamura. Anguished due to the feelings inside of her, Adachi begins spending her everyday life together with Shimamura a little differently.

Iruma launched Adachi to Shimamura in Dengeki Bunko Magazine in October 2012, 1.5 years after completing his Denpa Onna to Seishun Otoko light novel. Kadokawa began publishing the novel through its Dengeki Bunko imprint with illustrations by Nozomi Ousaka (Chuunibyou demo Koi ga Shitai!) in March 2013. The seventh volume was published in November 2016, with the eighth volume planned for a May 10 release.

A three-volume manga adaptation by Mani was serialized in Square Enix's Gangan Online magazine from 2016-2017. Illustrator Moke Yuzuhara will begin serializing a new manga adaptation in Dengeki Daioh's July 2019 issue on May 27.

Source: Dengeki Online, PR Times

News tip submitted by changelog

Adachi to Shimamura on MAL
VindstotOct 1, 2019 7:57 PM

May 7, 2019 4:47 AM
May 2016
More yuri is always good
May 7, 2019 4:58 AM

Nov 2007
More stuff so that people leave H!E alone is always good!
Stay Home and Wash Your Hands.
Protect Yourself. Protect Your Loved Ones.
Protect Your Community and Help Defeat
Coronavirus.
May 7, 2019 5:33 AM
Oct 2017
Sugoiii
I love yuri/shoujoai
I am waiting for his adaptation in anime impatiently
May 7, 2019 5:43 AM

Mar 2014
I am a simple man, I see anime and hear yuri and I watch.
May 7, 2019 6:49 AM

Nov 2017
oooo interesting i will always check out gl

plz @ me
May 7, 2019 7:05 AM

Feb 2019
more yuri is always welcome, I just pray that it's wholesome like asagao to kase san

It’s okay to look back at the past, just don’t stare too long

May 7, 2019 7:08 AM

May 2015
>GL

You got me.

This is a pleasant surprise, though. I'll hope for a decent staff.

May 7, 2019 7:35 AM

Nov 2016
Finally a new yuri is approaching! <3 <3 <3
Curious that it is a light novel I know most of Yuri come from sleeves, but light novel only saw 2 at most. Other positive point is the author of denpa onna, what I remember of the anime is that it had very charming and cute female characters, the boy was the only ugly and smelly.
May 7, 2019 8:11 AM

Nov 2008
An LN that's yuri and not isekai?

I'll give it a try.

May 7, 2019 9:39 AM
May 2016
you had me at Yuri. I'll be watching.

now what I REALLY want is an adaptation of Tatoe Todokanu ito da toshitemo(if I could reach you), then I'll truly be happy
May 7, 2019 10:52 AM

Oct 2012
Yay! More girls loving girls <3
May 7, 2019 10:53 AM

Feb 2015
A LN that's not isekai... very interesting.... I think, I will watch this.

wtf I didn't even know Denpa Onna is LN when I watched the manga, kek I quite like that especially how shaft handled the cinematography of the scenes.
May 7, 2019 11:18 AM

Dec 2015
So glad to see the manga I've been reading get an anime.
May 7, 2019 12:08 PM

Feb 2013
Hoppy said:

I'll give it a try.

_Ako_ said:

wtf I didn't even know Denpa Onna is LN when I watched the manga, kek I quite like that especially how shaft handled the cinematography of the scenes.

Huh, yeah, there's hundreds and hundreds of those in the market. lol And the same is true for the ones which aren't Isekai as well.

LN is a vast market much like manga and there's many series that we don't even know or have translations.

May 7, 2019 12:16 PM

Dec 2014
Instant watch for me. Looking forward to it.
May 7, 2019 2:07 PM

Nov 2014
Oh hell yes. I'm here for this one.
May 7, 2019 2:21 PM

Feb 2015
caio_brb said:
Hoppy said:

I'll give it a try.

_Ako_ said:

Huh, yeah, there's hundreds and hundreds of those in the market. lol And the same is true for the ones which aren't Isekai as well.

LN is a vast market much like manga and there's many series that we don't even know or have translations.

I like the fact that what you're saying is the generalized argumentation quoted and cited by the majority of the users.
May 7, 2019 2:26 PM

Feb 2013
_Ako_ said:
caio_brb said:

I like the fact that what you're saying is the generalized argumentation quoted and cited by the majority of the users.

I don't know how this is generalized when I'm explaining that the market have much more than Isekai and that it's vast on genres and titles.

But really, what I should expect from anime only which as the name says, only knows things when there's anime and don't know anything about how other markets are or works lol
May 7, 2019 2:29 PM

Feb 2015
caio_brb said:
_Ako_ said:

I don't know how this is generalized when I'm explaining that the market have much more than Isekai and that it's vast on genres and titles.

But really, what I should expect from anime only which as the name says, only knows things when there's anime and don't know anything about how other markets are or works lol

you're on your path to be an aspiring journalist... I can see it, your future is very bright indeed.
May 7, 2019 4:22 PM

Apr 2012
Oh, guys. I understand that yuri is popular and many people want to see real yuri, not baiting... But damn. It feels like most people don’t care if this work is good, all that’s important is that it’s yuri.

@caio_brb The maximum knowledge of most people is "shoujo is a silly girly romance, and shonen about the battles of over-powered teens".

May 7, 2019 4:28 PM

Dec 2018
caio_brb said:
_Ako_ said:

In any case, the sao clones predominate in the market and it is these same novels that most adapt to the anime, you do not see 4 yuri anime in a season
May 7, 2019 6:23 PM

Feb 2013
Fede_5000 said:
caio_brb said:

In any case, the sao clones predominate in the market and it is these same novels that most adapt to the anime, you do not see 4 yuri anime in a season

No Isekai is a"Sao clone" because the majority by far are reincarnation stories with no influence from it but from series which were originally web novels from Shosetsuka ni Narou which is where the majority comes from. SAO don't have any real influence on Isekai and we see it as the VRMMORPG don't have nearly the same quantity be it on light novels or anime adaptations, which are reincarnation focused and summon focused in first place be it in action, comedy, cooking or anything isekai related.

If you want to know which series began on narou, you can see it here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shousetsuka_ni_Narou

And my argument was about light novels which is what I quoted. I don't know why you're talking about 4 yuri anime in a season when that just has to do with adaptation and it can be from any medium, while Isekai is 99% from Light Novels.
May 7, 2019 6:29 PM
Sep 2015
RobertBobert said:
Oh, guys. I understand that yuri is popular and many people want to see real yuri, not baiting... But damn. It feels like most people don’t care if this work is good, all that’s important is that it’s yuri.

Yup cause AdaShima is a really popular LN and is well known outside of Japan...
May 7, 2019 6:45 PM

Jan 2018
Oh my god. I've been waiting for years. An anime adaptation is finally happening!

There hasn't been any new materials for Adashima for 2 years and a half and only recently that a new volume with a new manga serialization were announced. This is really telling of how successful Yagakimi was for Kadokawa.
May 7, 2019 8:10 PM

Mar 2009
@RobertBobert due to the rarity of good bl and yuri adaptations, fans can't afford to be picky. maybe one day when there's a larger amount of adaptations they can, the amount is increasing. but. not currently.

anyway, can anyone tell me the plot of this? is it slice of life ish (as the synopsis suggests) or drama? im assuming because it's an ln its drama, but without giving away too many details what's the plot beyond 'kids in school talk and struggle with feelings'?
May 7, 2019 9:20 PM
Voltekka!

Sep 2017
>GL

No thanks, I'll pass
May 8, 2019 2:56 AM

Apr 2012
xile said:
RobertBobert said:

Yup cause AdaShima is a really popular LN and is well known outside of Japan...

I hardly see people here who are happy about the adaptation of this work. Most people simply react to the word "yuri" as a code word, the rest is not important to them.

Claptrap said:
@RobertBobert due to the rarity of good bl and yuri adaptations, fans can't afford to be picky. maybe one day when there's a larger amount of adaptations they can, the amount is increasing. but. not currently.

This is an old song. Yuri fans always complain about the lack of yuri anime, but this doesn't prevent them from calling every new all-female anime as yuri and finding lesbians among any BFF.
May 8, 2019 6:23 AM

Jan 2011
Hey, this is that one whose manga adaptation I've seen getting scanned lately.
May 8, 2019 2:00 PM
Mar 2018
Is it more too much fanservice like Sakura Trick or rather a lovely rom-com like Sasameki Koto?
May 8, 2019 11:18 PM

Mar 2009
RobertBobert said:
Claptrap said:

This is an old song. Yuri fans always complain about the lack of yuri anime, but this doesn't prevent them from calling every new all-female anime as yuri and finding lesbians among any BFF.

Not sure about your point here tbqh. Of course you can find characters who come off as gay and who tease viewers, and of course people desperate for content attach themselves to those characters. That's different from characters actually having follow through in the work.
May 9, 2019 12:15 AM

Dec 2011
Thing I learned from this announcement - Adachi to Shimamura is actually still being released. Can I get my hopes up for a 6th volume of Tokage no Ou? It's only been 5 years and 10 months since volume 5 came out.

Anyway, I'll give this a try. From past experience Iruma-sensei's works are usually good, even if he does have a habit of writing far too many of them at once and thus leaving individual series without any news (let alone volumes) for several years...
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 9, 2019 4:15 AM

Apr 2012
@Claptrap I understand perfectly well that people will consider the work as yuri, if there are a lot of yuri vibes or female characters with "doubtful" orientation. I just don't understand how people can combine this with a complaint that yuri is supposedly small.

@kuuderes_shadow Is he? If I'm not mistaken, Iruma-sensei is a woman.
May 9, 2019 4:27 AM

Dec 2011
RobertBobert said:
@kuuderes_shadow Is he? If I'm not mistaken, Iruma-sensei is a woman.

Probably. I don't really care about that.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
May 9, 2019 2:56 PM
otp haver 🤪

Jul 2017
Am I out of the loop. Has this ever happened before? I've never even really heard of GL light novels being very prominent. Excited nonetheless.
May 9, 2019 4:39 PM

Mar 2009
RobertBobert said:
@Claptrap I understand perfectly well that people will consider the work as yuri, if there are a lot of yuri vibes or female characters with "doubtful" orientation. I just don't understand how people can combine this with a complaint that yuri is supposedly small.

Because something that has 'yuri vibes' is very different from something that actually is direct about these themes or is actually going to talk about them without leading viewers on for 20 eps. It's... hm. It's like 'there's a lot of homoerotic works, but not a lot of works that talk about being gay/have confirmed gay characters', which is true for both yuri and BL in general I think.
May 9, 2019 5:53 PM

Nov 2011
Stripes said:
Am I out of the loop. Has this ever happened before? I've never even really heard of GL light novels being very prominent. Excited nonetheless.

Strawberry panic. Plenty of yuri LNs also exist, just a lot of them are not translated.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
May 9, 2019 6:36 PM

Apr 2012
rederoin said:
Stripes said:

Strawberry panic. Plenty of yuri LNs also exist, just a lot of them are not translated.

Even last year, the Japanese themselves joked that "yuri LN does not exist" at one of the yuri events, lol. SP is a somewhat separate case, but in general, there is even a CGDCT LN.

Claptrap said:
RobertBobert said:

Because something that has 'yuri vibes' is very different from something that actually is direct about these themes or is actually going to talk about them without leading viewers on for 20 eps. It's... hm. It's like 'there's a lot of homoerotic works, but not a lot of works that talk about being gay/have confirmed gay characters', which is true for both yuri and BL in general I think.

Then why don't people just stop saying that it is yuri, etc?
May 10, 2019 7:52 AM

Nov 2011
RobertBobert said:
rederoin said:

Even last year, the Japanese themselves joked that "yuri LN does not exist" at one of the yuri events, lol. SP is a somewhat separate case, but in general, there is even a CGDCT LN.

Claptrap said:

Then why don't people just stop saying that it is yuri, etc?

Thats very nice for them to get to joke about it? I suppose? Does not make it true, though.

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
May 10, 2019 8:12 AM

Apr 2012
@rederoin The joke is based on the fact that most LN is built on the first-person narrative, while modern trends in yuri and all-female setting prescribe the maximum “exclusion” of the audience from what is happening in the plot. This is why the player’s character in Bushi’s games is becoming increasingly impersonal with every franchise.
May 11, 2019 6:53 AM

Mar 2014
So, it's mostly slice of life, or drama?
FGO NA Code: 482.072.599

(F2P thug life of savings...)

Ben-to! best nonsensical action anime. Ever.
May 12, 2019 1:56 AM

Jan 2016
More yuri is always welcome.
Aug 28, 2019 4:37 AM

Sep 2013
So looking forward to this. Would really like to see Adachi's attempts to be closer to Shimamura in anime.

I hope the artist of the new manga adaptation will be in charge of the character design. I fell in love with AdaShima because of the story and her art.
Erika___Aug 28, 2019 4:42 AM
Aug 28, 2019 12:45 PM

Apr 2013
Ah, I've heard good things about that one. Never bought it, but if peoples like the genre announced, they 'll probably be enjoying it.
Oct 6, 2019 12:45 AM

Feb 2013
Erika___ said:
So looking forward to this. Would really like to see Adachi's attempts to be closer to Shimamura in anime.

I hope the artist of the new manga adaptation will be in charge of the character design. I fell in love with AdaShima because of the story and her art.

It won't. It'll be based on the LN itself, of course, so with Non's artstyle.
Oct 6, 2019 12:49 AM

Sep 2013
caio_brb said:
Erika___ said:

It won't. It'll be based on the LN itself, of course, so with Non's artstyle.

I just saw the character design. Doesn't really look like Non's design nor Moke.
Dec 2, 2019 9:18 AM

Sep 2014
I'm reading the manga adaptations and it's a little disappointing that this seems more like platonic love, but I'll watch the TV anime anyway

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 28 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
28 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 46 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
46 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.