Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (13) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 »
Dec 26, 2018 11:19 PM

Sep 2008
vitaminB said:
This show is a clusterfuck. Both key elements, warfare and politics, are like written by a 12 yo who has zero knowledge about how neither of those work. One of the worst script and character writing I've ever seen. At some points I had to speed up the video simply cause I no longer could take the idiocy that was going on on the screen.
My score is 1/10, and if MAL allowed, i'd just rate it 0. Clearly not what I expected from a show that's being literally worshipped as world's finest masterpiece, which I believed it was, until i watched it. Makes me wonder if like two thirds of its worshippers are really anything more than just bandwagon.

Why stop at 0 bruh, why not -10?
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
Mar 12, 2019 5:48 PM
Jul 2017
This show is everything anime should be; an impossible standard that will never be reached again.
Apr 16, 2019 5:04 PM

Aug 2017
Finished it in 1.5 months, absolutely brilliant. The ending is probably as perfect as one could imagine - the new generation is ready to live on and replace the legends of the previous epoch. Maybe the story will even go full circle - in the end, the deeds of men remain the same, regardless of the epoch.

As for the final episode, it just reassured my love for Oberstein. As he had said previously in the series, he was ready to die for the sake of the Kaiser without any hesitation, and he did it in order to buy Reinhard some time to die peacefully. Reinhard didn't even learn about Oberstein's sacrifice (if it was intentional, and I believe it was) on his death bed. In a way, Oberstein is a bit like Reinhard's loyal dog (in a good sense). Maybe it even explains the fact that the only living being Oberstein cared about besides Reinhard was his dog. I guess they just had a lot in common.
I don't really believe that Oberstein's death was not a planned suicide. In fact, it was true to his character - what happens with a shadow of a star when it goes out? The shadow disappears. It's a logical conclusion to Oberstein's story. In fact, every character in LOGH finds this kind of conclusion. I can't think of anyone, whose death was out of place. And as for the living - they have pretty much left to do!

I'm also happy that while this is the end of such a great saga and I will never be able to experience it again for the first time, I still have 52 prequel episodes to watch, and the mere thought of returning to the characters I love and care about warms my heart. I just hope that the prequels are as gorgeous as the original series.
Apr 29, 2019 12:43 AM

Sep 2008
St0rmblade said:

what happens with a shadow of a star when it goes out? The shadow disappears. It's a logical conclusion to Oberstein's story. In fact, every character in LOGH finds this kind of conclusion.

Very nicely put. I never saw that quote as a metaphor for all of the characters. But it makes a lot of sense now.

St0rmblade said:
I still have 52 prequel episodes to watch, and the mere thought of returning to the characters I love and care about warms my heart. I just hope that the prequels are as gorgeous as the original series.

Not as gorgeous, but its good enough for anyone who is missing those characters. It's very heartwarming indeed, and the prequel OVAs end at a point where My Conquest is the Sea of Stars connects :)
So if you watched My Conquest is the sea of stars and then Overture to a New War before the main OVA, your viewing experience comes back full circle.
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 2, 2019 10:08 AM

Aug 2017
eyerok said:
St0rmblade said:

what happens with a shadow of a star when it goes out? The shadow disappears. It's a logical conclusion to Oberstein's story. In fact, every character in LOGH finds this kind of conclusion.

Very nicely put. I never saw that quote as a metaphor for all of the characters. But it makes a lot of sense now.

St0rmblade said:
I still have 52 prequel episodes to watch, and the mere thought of returning to the characters I love and care about warms my heart. I just hope that the prequels are as gorgeous as the original series.

Not as gorgeous, but its good enough for anyone who is missing those characters. It's very heartwarming indeed, and the prequel OVAs end at a point where My Conquest is the Sea of Stars connects :)
So if you watched My Conquest is the sea of stars and then Overture to a New War before the main OVA, your viewing experience comes back full circle.

Another quote from Oberstein on this topic from episode 26:
"Shadows must accompany their light. But if the light dims... Don't the shadows, too?"
He just foreshadowed his own death, wow.

As for the Gaidens, I finished them today and they're pretty great, I should say. It was very pleasant to see cameos by different characters destined to be the core of Reinhard's and Yang's team in the future. And they end right before the films and the beginning of the main OVA, which is pretty nice too.
May 6, 2019 7:18 AM

Nov 2018
honey--mint said:
This show is a clusterfuck. Both key elements, warfare and politics, are like written by a 12 yo who has zero knowledge about how neither of those work. One of the worst script and character writing I've ever seen. At some points I had to speed up the video simply cause I no longer could take the idiocy that was going on on the screen.
My score is 1/10, and if MAL allowed, i'd just rate it 0. Clearly not what I expected from a show that's being literally worshipped as world's finest masterpiece, which I believed it was, until i watched it. Makes me wonder if like two thirds of its worshippers are really anything more than just bandwagon.
Then this is clearly not your cup of tea isn't it?
Even though this was an adaptation of an award-winning manga series, I think a lot of the characters were very well-developed (even if there are over 300 characters in total).
Plus this show is meant to be slow and meticulous with the notion that you should pay attention to every single detail being presented, which for me made this show one of my absolute favorites because I like a show that can present a good/great story (my other favorite being Avatar The Last Airbender). If slow and meticulous isn't your thing then there's plenty of other shows for you to watch.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
May 12, 2019 6:55 AM

Aug 2018
honey--mint said:
Hey, can you delete this post so people don't have to read it when they finish the show and want to talk about it
May 12, 2019 8:36 AM

Aug 2018
honey--mint said:
eglepe said:
Hey, can you delete this post so people don't have to read it when they finish the show and want to talk about it
Hey, I'm sure you noticed, but this is not a fan thread. If you can't handle the fact of people having opinions different from that of yours in general title discussion it's not really my problem.
Most people enter this thread through the LOTGH main board, it's just also listed in general discussions.
May 14, 2019 8:07 PM

Sep 2008
eglepe said:
honey--mint said:
Hey, I'm sure you noticed, but this is not a fan thread. If you can't handle the fact of people having opinions different from that of yours in general title discussion it's not really my problem.
Most people enter this thread through the LOTGH main board, it's just also listed in general discussions.

Well it is an episode discussion, and she posted her personal opinion so it's okay. The only part of the post I have a problem with is the attack on the fanbase, but that's alright. We all have those moments..

St0rmblade said:

Another quote from Oberstein on this topic from episode 26:
"Shadows must accompany their light. But if the light dims... Don't the shadows, too?"
He just foreshadowed his own death, wow.

As for the Gaidens, I finished them today and they're pretty great, I should say. It was very pleasant to see cameos by different characters destined to be the core of Reinhard's and Yang's team in the future. And they end right before the films and the beginning of the main OVA, which is pretty nice too.

That's the quote I was referring too. Nice observation there.

Yeah, the prequel OVA's are very nice, overall.
eyerokMay 14, 2019 8:15 PM
May 15, 2019 4:15 AM

Aug 2018
eyerok said:
eglepe said:

Well it is an episode discussion, and she posted her personal opinion so it's okay. The only part of the post I have a problem with is the attack on the fanbase, but that's alright. We all have those moments..
It's just a bit of a bummer when you're excited to talk about a show you just finished and the post on top is some low effort contrarian crap. I guess we'll get a new page soon enough.
May 18, 2019 10:26 AM

Nov 2018
I think Gigguk said it perfectly during his video about classic anime

"One of the greatest stories to have been told in the history of anime"
"A tale so grande, no other anime comes close to the scale, depth and density of the saga told here"
"A one of a kind experience you can't find anywhere else in this medium"
"A full-length epic you gradually immerse yourself into"

If you find shows boring quickly or you're into faster-paced, more action-packed anime then this show isn't for you.

You don't need to be an elitist or a smug prick to like this show either. This show can be enjoyed by anyone.

My current goal is to revamp all the character details for High School DxD and have all the characters included in the DB.
MAL Badges is back bitches! Check the club for more info
Please show your love for my Kiss x Sis manga review here. It will only take you 2 minutes of your time 🙏🙏
Jun 2, 2019 9:34 PM

Jul 2008
This one took long enough... I started this back in 7/7/2008, had in on hold forever, restarted it a few years ago and finally finished it.

I'm having a hard time giving this a 10 because the animation just isn't up there with others even at the time it was made, but everything else about it is masterful.
Jun 9, 2019 6:27 AM
Jun 2019
Reinharto-sama (ಥ﹏ಥ)
Jun 10, 2019 2:33 AM

Feb 2017
I"m glad I took an eye for this magnificently beautiful series.
All those dramatic experiences were an unforgettable experience for me.
9/10

RIP Oberstein, he's one of my favorite character from this series beside Reuenthal
Jun 13, 2019 2:47 AM

Jan 2013
What an epic series all around. I remember enjoying all of the episodes except one, if I recall correctly it was episode 70 when Yang re-took the Iserlohn Fortress by making the Imperial Admiral look like a retard.

I did not expect Oberstein to go out like that and I like that they left it at our judgment whether he wanted to protect the Kaiser or it was a miscalculation.

The Kaiser sadly succumbed to the illness but he managed to leave an offspring behind. His death empties my emotions.

Epic series all around, 10/10. Reuental was the best character of this show, then followed by Reinhard. Mittermeyer is a strong candidate as well.
Jul 20, 2019 5:02 PM

Jul 2011
Die Sage ist vorüber, die Historie beginnt.

I don't know how I'm supposed to feel now.. 10/10

Jul 26, 2019 4:27 PM

Dec 2010
After re watching I could say I really HATE Julian he is every thing I despise about Yang x1000 In fact I dislike the whole yang crew except dusty and yang,Julian is a shitty mary sue copy cat ass character and I hate him with a passion because of them this show is a 8 instead of a 9 thanks to the awesome admirals on the empire side.
Sep 22, 2019 8:29 AM

Aug 2007
I’m very impressed with this show. I started it groaning that it was really long, considering it takes me so much effort to even watch anything over ~26 episodes, but the details for the characters and plot was well worth the meticulousness.

On the other hand, I will say that is not an absolute perfect piece due to the overload of details as well... I believe in some of the beginning or middle episodes there could have been dialogue shaved to strengthen the piece. I wouldn’t say any of the episodes (besides the two about Terra, which would have better fit as a special imo) are unnecessary in its entirety, but I can’t help to wonder if this wouldn’t have benefitted from dropping a culmination of lines or short battle interaction sequences to make for a tighter story.

That being said, the rest of it was absolutely incredible. I walked into this critical, and honestly poked fun at it in the start, but ended up falling in love with quite a few characters. Yang was definitely the star for me, but so many have a lot of brilliance. Shout out to Oberstein thinking about his dog in his last moments and being amazingly impartial despite all the pushback he constantly received due to natural human emotion and suspicion of his calculating personality.

I would certainly like to rewatch this and detail where exactly I felt the small pockets of lull for me were personally, but I will say the last 30 episodes were perfection, as with the majority of the run time. I’m quite humbled and shocked this anime made it into my lower top 10.

9/10
LycanSep 22, 2019 8:39 AM

Sep 23, 2019 12:29 AM
Jun 2010
I coul read this thread again and again and again. I love LOTGH. I think i'm re-viewing it for the 4th time now. I watched the remake to compare after finishing s1 and it was not bad. If that makes the original more well known, glad to hear.

Otherwise LOTGH is a speechless experience. Something which I speak about to any friend, colleague or person with whom I speak about anime.

A must see.
Oct 23, 2019 3:13 PM
May 2013
What a great, grand saga. Almost every character is memorable. Oberstein, loyal to the end, probably goes down as many's favorite character. Mittermeyer would be my choice, who I'm sure will make sure that the Lohengrann dynasty stays strong in the years to come.

Reinhart's end although sad felt almost inevitable, even though I didn't want to believe it had to be so. He died like Alexander the Great, young, and after having conquered the known world.

By the way, they really could have milked his death scene, it is the pinnacle of the series, and we only get a few seconds of reactions to his death before it switches over to Julian, I was ready to shed some tears, but that kind of ruined it.

Overall this series and episode were fantastic, thought-provoking, pretty much every plot thread was tied up by the end. And although the ending was bittersweet it felt appropriate.
Nov 10, 2019 4:44 PM

Jan 2011
silversaint said:
finally completed it an loved the ending
3rd best anime ive seen
10/10

after having rewatched it, id say LOGH is now tied for my all time fav anime

Oberstein did nothing wrong
Nov 11, 2019 3:23 AM

Feb 2018
I very much enjoyed this Shakespearean esque space opera of a show. Oberstein did nothing wrong, and Death to Republicanism!
Nov 16, 2019 12:48 PM
Nov 2018
Third rewatch of it,still holds up the same and you notice so many visual hints and metaphors all throughout.

THE most complete and ambitious anime series ever made,bar none. Gaiden was a interesting watch as well and it has more of that adventurous feel like the first season of the main series,but its not as much of a shared vision.
ESTLZNov 16, 2019 12:53 PM
Nov 29, 2019 5:13 PM

May 2010
I just finished LOGH and wow... it was really amazing !

I don't have much to say, it was not perfect but the downs are completely nothing compared to all the good thing that LOGH had to offer !

Yes it is a very ambitious anime, the beginning was a bit hard to watch (about 15 episodes) but the rest was great.

It goes up in my top 10 !!

9/10
Dec 1, 2019 10:50 PM

Oct 2012
I thought the Grand Bishop left the earth
RIP Oberstein, he didn't make any mistakes. From his personality he knew exactly what will happen to him

The story ended after Reinhard's life ended

Dusty, Frederica, Julian
Hildegard, Wolfgang
Are the only main characters left in the end

I wished there's some kind of wrap up to show all characters that still alive
"Signature removed"
Jan 7, 2020 2:20 PM

Nov 2016
I guess I should've gotten suspicious of a maniac that's carrying a mummy with him. Glad to hear that Josef didn't die.

Obersteins death was something already foreshadowed by himself. Given his words from back then it's so fitting that he acted as a bait. Selfless till the end, a man who lived for the empire. And that Reinhard didn't learn about this incident was also just consequent. Surprising was still the fact that had a dog at home. This kinda made me wish for a slice of life spin-off depicting his private life xD R.I.P.

And wow. Although I didn't like Reinhard quite as much as the good old Yang, his death still ended up being the saddest for me. He accomplished so much and everyone was there( well, only those still alive of course) yet it had something so tragic that he failed at things he really wanted. The scene with Felix and the ambition at the very end was also really nice.

My only gripe is that the final season felt rushed, especially towards the end, it easily could've been twice as long or at least with another additional 5 episodes or so. Having that said, it was still fantastic and this ending was without a doubt one of the most emotional ones I've ever seen.

Nonetheless one outstanding piece of fiction and I was honestly entertained for every single second. I mean, this series has it all. Grand world building, large cast of compelling characters, nearly perfectly paced( except for the last season as mentioned above) and dense plot with tons of interesting conversations. Some probably thought with all that came also a lot of unnecessary information, but imo it's that attention to detail what made this universe so fascinating and authentic. There was action, politics, "history", philosphy, drama, romance, comedy, a coming of age story. It offered so much variety and precisely that's why I think it's a series that can be enjoyed by most. I can't really think of anything similar in this medium.

And props to the narrator, he was the best guide you could think of and he provided a lot of the enjoyment.

I would like to write more, but I feel a bit scatterbrained because there's so much to say about this series that it's kinda overwhelming.

One last thing for sure, tho. LotGH is an easy 10/10

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Jan 21, 2020 9:28 AM
Jan 2014
I enjoyed the episode. My only gripe is that I wanted to see Yang finally put to rest on Heinessen.
Feb 8, 2020 9:49 AM
Aug 2018
This is the best show I have ever seen. I have one complaint. I would of loved a scene of Fredrica finally laying Yang to rest on Heinessen! They talk about it a couple of times and I thought for sure we would of saw a scene along those lines!
Feb 14, 2020 7:00 AM

Jan 2016
There was a lot to like about this show so I will lost some complaints.

1. The conspiracy plot with Phezzan and Terra was weak and shouldn't have even been in the show.

2. The free planet alliance cast is all garbage except for Yang

3. There were some major plot direction errors like killing off Kircheis instead of letting their relationship struggle blossom as Reinhard makes good and bad decisions.

4. Season 1 felt like the only season with any real strategy in battles.

5. Weak space battles.

6. Less talking about the occurences happening in the universe and actually SHOW US what is happening.

7. OP and ED for season 1 completely blew the others out of the water. Season 4 OP and ED are very bad.

8. Too many characters on the empire side. Would have been a better decision to focus on about half the cast size so you get to sympathize with them more.

9. Reurenthal revolt was dumb and forced.

10. Season 2 was bad.
Great show. 9/10
DhaarokFeb 14, 2020 7:04 AM
Feb 19, 2020 12:56 PM

Jul 2019
I'm here just to say that I'm genuinely afraid that I will never watch anime this great again.
Mar 4, 2020 9:39 PM

Jun 2016
Great (even if also sad) ending to a great anime!

I had mixed feelings about Oberstein throughout watching the show but also feel that he redeemed himself through his sacrifice for Kaiser Reinhard. He and the Kaiser himself are surely in Valhalla with the rest of their fellow comrades and even some honored members of the Alliance.

I've heard that people especially here on MAL thought very highly of this anime and I fully agree with them. I'll definitely rewatch the whole thing again, as well as watch the prequel and side stories. But I'm going to miss watching this every night for a while, I truly enjoyed it.

This series is definitely a 10/10 for me, perhaps even an 11/10!
Apr 21, 2020 9:39 AM

Dec 2015
After all the praise I read, I somehow expected more depth regarding politics, philosophy and characterization in those 110 episodes.

But in the end, it is just like watching some superhumans duking it out among themselves. Philosophy, politics and the rest of humanity seem just like a decoration to the titanic struggle among the main characters, who are not that different regarding their methods. Expanding on someone like Job Truniht could have made the show more interesting I think, because he could have given the story some human conflict that feels real.

It is not bad, it has some great moments, but it has no real depth in my opinion. Even titanic struggles have been done better. Like in Hunter x Hunter Chimera Ant, because of the bigger emotional impact I felt...

Just my personal taste.
EstefanApr 21, 2020 9:47 AM
May 8, 2020 12:26 AM

Dec 2019
FIRST of all R.I.P. to Yang Wen-Lii and Reinhard & to all those that died as well !

What a ride this one was, ngl there were some episodes that i found them boring but it was worth, i was so sure Reinhard was going to die but i tried to believe he wouldn't, but in the end i was wrong :/

10/10
                                                         🖤   

Jun 5, 2020 12:16 PM

Jul 2019
This series deserves a solid 8/10, but I gave it a 9 because anime standards are pretty low, to be honest.

Space tactics were awful, they made combat episodes the worst aspect of a series about huge battleships firing at each other. Only the second season had some entertaining skirmishes, but they weren't even that spectacular (older shows like Gundam and Macross did a better job at this). The rosen ritters were also awful, they managed to make melee axe combat unexciting by succeeding every single time with no noticeable loses (at least Poplan's squad suffered some loses from time to time, poor Konev).

This show's not about action though, but about history, politics, and drama. But even that wasn't as flawless as some fanboys here claim: Some major factions like the evil space-zionists and the retarded Goldenbaum nobles were badly written, and there were some very campy episodes early on, and some very forced ones later on the series. The writing was often inconsistent, sometimes it was great, a few times it went above most people's heads, but many other times it treated the viewers as morons.

It's a very enjoyable and well written show, don't get me wrong, but this is no masterpiece.
HeirofZorJun 5, 2020 12:21 PM
Jun 5, 2020 5:03 PM
Mar 2013
BrumaHobo said:

It's a very enjoyable and well written show, don't get me wrong, but this is no masterpiece.

I have seen on your profile that you have not seen much anime (I'm not saying it as a negative, you have many great things to discover).

But I think that when you watch more series you will discover that LOGH is an unrepeatable show and that it deserves to be considered a masterpiece (and not classify LOGH fans as "fanboys").

Elements like ... intense dialogues, extreme violence, unexpected deaths and around 30 characters with their own development (between 30-60 years old) are difficult to see in modern anime. (Although I also love school anime and "pure" entertainment!).

I agree that it is not perfect because basically "perfection" does not exist.
ChillidaJun 5, 2020 5:24 PM
Jun 10, 2020 6:21 AM
Feb 2020
Best series ever, hands down. I cried 3 times or more in the last 30 episodes. This series has made me have such a mix of emotions throughout the entire show. On the final episode I was speechless and I couldn't stop crying manly tears.
Jun 17, 2020 4:19 PM

Aug 2015
Let me be honest guys. I went in wanting to hate this series. I was always tired of hearing all the praise this series got. As a big shounen fag, I wouldn't normally watch something like this normally. But it's really good. It's dense, it;s thought-provoking and I found myself attached to the characters before I realized it. Not many people I would recommend it to but if I think they could enjoy it I will. I didn't really enjoy it until I got the mid to late 20's and definitely mid season 2.

Jul 3, 2020 7:10 AM

Oct 2018
I expected more from Oberstein what a quick ending he got.So Reinhard died not knowing what Oberstein did and how he died?
Whaaat? Did his wife deliberetly lied to him or she hasnt heard about Oberstein yet? Also, before the cult leader died he said there are more people that want to hurt the Lohengramm family, but we could nott find out because Julian killed him right away. So who are those other bad people ?
Mila91Jul 3, 2020 7:14 AM

Jul 23, 2020 9:39 AM
Mar 2016
...And So the Space Saga has come to an end....*Cries buckets.* That final scene was just fucking Beautiful and kinda sad too. Easily one of the best and most satisfying endings ever seeing how complex it is. I Wouldn't call it THE Best show but easily one of the best, Most Epic and Complex show ever made.

They Wrapped Most of the Things well. I Didn't want Reinhard to die, but still he lived and died by his own will. I liked What Fraulein said later tho. Didn't Oberstein go down too, was it all Planned afterall? He died just like he lived too like Reinhard. Although Douche Arch Bishops dying was was so fun to watch mwahaha. I wanted Julian to die but whatever atleast he got a badass moment.

This is Basically "Star Wars mixed with Game of Thrones" and considering the Scale of the entire show i'd say its Larger than GoT yet its done Masterfully with such great detail its just shocking. Also wayyyyy ahead of its time. for the fact that its show from 1988! Best thing abt this show is probably its Moral Ambiguity which makes it fun to watch rooting for both sides, tho i always followed the Empire. All the characters are soo Fleshed out its very realistic in general.

Even tho this deserves a 10, i'm gonna give it a 9/10 due to various issues like pacing and like 20 eps of Reuntal and Mittenmier having their 'talk' lol.

This has been quite a Journey. I can talk all day abt this lol never the less still sad that it has ended. All good things have to come to an end unfortunately...

PEACE!
Sep 12, 2020 8:07 AM

Apr 2015
And so the great journey ends with this epic episode. The great man who we followed for 110 episodes, finally meets his... beautiful end.

Everyone's watching from Valhalla with a glass of wine in hand.

WE NEED MORE OF THESE SHOWS!!!

10/f-ing 10!!!
Sep 27, 2020 3:37 AM
Aug 2019
انه حقا انمي عظيم لقد بكيت في النهاية
تقيمي
10/10
Sep 27, 2020 5:42 AM

May 2016
SIEG MEIN KAISER REINHARD VON LOHENGRAMM
This universe was too small to contain your dreams and ambitions T__T
Nov 8, 2020 11:42 PM
Apr 2019
I have two things to say.

1 - I do not regret watching it in chronological order. I think it was in fact, a good decison

2 - I wish we had an epiloque. Ending was good but wanted a bit more
Nov 14, 2020 3:14 PM

Dec 2013
Estefan said:
After all the praise I read, I somehow expected more depth regarding politics, philosophy and characterization in those 110 episodes.

But in the end, it is just like watching some superhumans duking it out among themselves. Philosophy, politics and the rest of humanity seem just like a decoration to the titanic struggle among the main characters, who are not that different regarding their methods. Expanding on someone like Job Truniht could have made the show more interesting I think, because he could have given the story some human conflict that feels real.

It is not bad, it has some great moments, but it has no real depth in my opinion. Even titanic struggles have been done better. Like in Hunter x Hunter Chimera Ant, because of the bigger emotional impact I felt...

Just my personal taste.

You could've been taken seriously if it weren't for that penultimate paragraph
Nov 24, 2020 11:45 PM

Mar 2012
23:29 on July 26th, Space Calendar 801, New Imperial Calendar 3. Reinhard von Lohengramm was 25 years old. His reign lasted just over 2 years.
The legend ends, and history begins.

Time well spent.
Legend of the Galactic Heroes is one of those stories where I wish I was fluent in Japanese. There was much eloquence and wisdom from the dialogue I could understand. Thank you Central-Anime for capturing dialogues, monologues, narration, etc. with rich and detailed (and magniloquent) vocabulary to reflect the robust and noble personalities of both the Empire and Alliance.

Was Oberstein's sacrifice a furtive plan to execute his own death or a miscalculation on his part? Or both? The world may never know.

Were that we could have just one more "page to history". (111!)
It'd be nice to see Julian discussing constitutionalism with Hilda, Dusty writing his memoirs, Frederica laying Yang to rest and spending time with the Cazellnu household (and improving her cooking).
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dictating his will on his death bed: "Give the six High Admirals the position of Imperial Fleet Admirals. That, however, must be done after my death, in the name of the Kaiserin, who will be regent."

His last words to his sister, Annerose: "I had a dream, Sister."
"Still, you haven't had your fill of dreams, Reinhard..."
"No, I had plenty...the dreams that no one had ever seen before...all too many of them. Sister, thank you for everything. Sister...here. I no longer have need of it. I will give it to you. And...I'll return Kircheis to you. I'm sorry that I've borrowed him from you for such a long time."

A blessing for his son, Alexander: "Aside from something like the reign of the Empire, as a father, I wanted to leave my son, Alexander Siegfried with a friend on an equal footing. It's a selfish wish, but I wonder if you'll accept it... You're a good boy, Felix. Please be a good friend to Alec from now on."

Concerning Oberstein who has been mysteriously absent "It seems the Chief Minister of Military Affairs isn't here, so where is he?"
Hilda wipes his brow. "The Chief Minister of Military Affairs is absent due to compelling reasons."
"I see. That's right - what that man does always has compelling reasons."

His last words to Hilda: "Kaiserin, I'm certain that you'll govern space more wisely than I could. If you want to move into constitutional polity, that's fine. Either way, as long as the one who holds power is the wisest and most powerful in the universe, all will be well. If Alexander Siegfried does not have the capacity, there's no reason to sustain the Lohengramm Dynasty. If you do everything as you wish, I have nothing more to hope for."

His last words. The ambitious youth reaching for the stars with his best friend never left. "Once we seize space, we'll all..."

Having heard his last words, his Kaiserin firmly declares: "The Kaiser didn't die of illness; He passed away having used up all of his lifetime. He didn't fall from illness. Everyone, please don't forget that."
xxxATiONNov 24, 2020 11:55 PM
A good author leaves the audience enough material to be satisfied with, yet yearning for more.
Dec 4, 2020 2:08 AM

Jan 2016
BrumaHobo said:
This series deserves a solid 8/10, but I gave it a 9 because anime standards are pretty low, to be honest.

Space tactics were awful, they made combat episodes the worst aspect of a series about huge battleships firing at each other. Only the second season had some entertaining skirmishes, but they weren't even that spectacular (older shows like Gundam and Macross did a better job at this). The rosen ritters were also awful, they managed to make melee axe combat unexciting by succeeding every single time with no noticeable loses (at least Poplan's squad suffered some loses from time to time, poor Konev).

This show's not about action though, but about history, politics, and drama. But even that wasn't as flawless as some fanboys here claim: Some major factions like the evil space-zionists and the retarded Goldenbaum nobles were badly written, and there were some very campy episodes early on, and some very forced ones later on the series. The writing was often inconsistent, sometimes it was great, a few times it went above most people's heads, but many other times it treated the viewers as morons.

The thing is that this show isn't a masterpiece but so much media in America and Japan that compete with it are so garbage that it is basically a masterpiece on a comparison level.
Jan 7, 2021 7:46 AM

Dec 2018
After putting this show off for years I finally decided to give it a try. I had the utmost of expectations that I thought would never be reached, yet I was blown away. Truly a fucking incredible anime.
Jan 8, 2021 12:37 PM
Nov 2020
Loved this anime but its not without its flaws.

The battles and 'tactics' used were not good IMO. Normally illogical and hard to follow with plenty of plot-no-jutsu.

I didn't feel emotionally attached to many characters and never cried during the show despite its 110 episode length which is very surprising. Probably because the show sacrifices emotional connection to characters for its more form 'historical' based storytelling; its more like reading a really good history book or documentary on a realistic time period than a fiction.

Anyway, its absolutely amazing and apart from those two issues, I felt the show was utterly amazing and has some of my favorite characters of all time. I feel the ending wasn't very dramatic as the first half of the show promised a far more epic ending; but it was ultimately more satisfying and gradual, natural conclusion.. again as if this was a piece of history rather than an anime.

Jan 10, 2021 1:49 AM
Jun 2017
I do not know whether this shaking that runs through my body is due to the cold weather or the sheer emotion I'm feeling.

I'll start by saying I didn't choose this date at random to finish this series. At the moment, it's 1:36 AM (EST) of January 10th, 2021. 2070 years ago, a man called Julius Caesar crossed the Rubicon river, starting one of the most important politico-military confrontations in what would be recorded by History as one, if not the most greatest empire that was ever stablished in the existence of mankind. 101 years ago, a peace treaty known as the Treaty of Versailles went into full effect, a peace treaty that would mark the definitive final point for the most brutal war that men had ever fought to that point of history. An act of war, an act of peace; no more, no less. As I'm writing this, I cannot help but remember the words "In every age, in every place, the deeds of men remain the same".

Indeed, milennia later than the time I'm writing this it's told to us that mankind hasn't essentially changed, and we are still resolving our problems by brute force. It's in these circumstances that we are honoured to attend this wonderful play, the Legend of the Galactic Heroes. As in the major conflicts throughout human history, we witness the eternal struggle between autocracy and democracy, between order and freedom, between firmness and liberty, the rule of force and the rule of law.

We attend the story of two men, Reinhard von Lohengramm and Yang Wenli, who are the embodiment of these two systems of rule, of law, of thought. We observe their pursuit of their dreams, of love, of peace, of victory. We must bear in mind it's a story carried out by humans. There aren't any green weird little men running around in this show, there are only people like anyone else. People who start a war in order to take revenge on someone who wronged his sister and against the system that made him able to do so, people who engage in conflict in order to secure his pension for his latter life, even people who do it out of pure foppery and whim.

Alongside them we find many characters, some endearing, others worthy of contempt. In any way, they all take part in a story where each one of them feels like a person of their own, and not exclusively as someone designed to move the plot around. We see how their actions have consequences, some unharmful, some fatal. We see their joy, their sorrow, their excitement, their despair, their lives.

We are presented with the most glorious and most gruesome aspects of war. As there are men who fought for supposedly menial motives, there are others who do so for reasons they upheld in the upmost esteem. For glory, whether it's national or personal; for people, whether they must protect them or honour them; for ideologies they think are worth to give their blood for.

This is the story that is presented to us, sprinkled with the most beautiful soundtrack that could ever be used, composed by the most brilliant minds of their time. If I weren't a classical music lover to begin with, this series would surely have given birth to that love. Beethoven, Wagner, Mahler, Dvorak and many other are also stars in this show. Whether it is a romantic scene, a glorious fight, a villainous scheme or the most tragic death, there is always a perfect piece to support it.

Indeed, brilliancy is everywhere to be found in this series. It can be found on the remarks of the characters, lecturing others about their motives for their war, in the astonishing tactics used in the countless battles or skirmishes present in the show, in the overall conducting of this marvellous play.

Regarding this last chapter... Although my tears didn't run freely, at some moments I felt overwhelmed with emotion. The story of the galactic hero, the Galactic Emperor, Kaiser Reinhard von Lohengramm. comes to an end. His gold embroidered death flag, although at half mast, manages to stand higher than any other's, shining with the light of a thousand suns, as Reinhard did through all of his life. Indeed, he didn't die due to some unknown disease, he died from using all of his vital energy in just a decade, an energy large enough to make him shine like no one could have ever shined in the history of the galaxy. As said, a sword has no reason to exist but as a sword.

Damn Rubinsky! He perfectly devised everything so he would have the last laugh, but alas, he didn't have it. In any way, he will be remembered as one of the greatest schemers from this show. It appears that, contrary to my theories, De Villier and Rubinsky were totally different people. Speaking of De Villier, it was satisfying to see him finally go in such a manner. I really appreciate the fact that Julian didn't kill him to protect the Kaiser or the Lohengramm Dynasty, but to avenge Yang's death.

The final shot with the Mittermeyers and specially Felix trying to reach for the stars was filled with hope. Indubitably a new era has just begun, marked by the death of the old one, both literally and figurative. This new era is hopeful, an expected era of wise rule and peace, where coexistance is finally achieved through all of mankind. It's no secret that the Kaiserin would surely accept Julian's proposal of the constitutionalization of the Empire.

It's kind of a shame I didn't get to know the fate of the rest of the characters. I suppose that's someething that must be left to each one's imagination. My surprise was great when it was revealed that Erwin Josef II was still alive. Nevertheless is dubious he will ever occupy the Throne again, as the line of succesion and the ascension of the second ruler (the most important moment for an Empire to test itself) were firmly decided. Anyway, I think I used most of my inspiration from this series in the lines above, so I'll just go to more compelling matters.

Even if the brightest star on the heavenly screen had just extinguished, his death didn't affect me as much as that of the Chief Minister of Military Affairs, Fleet Admiral Paul von Oberstein. In an ironic twist of fate, the light was extinguished the same night as its shadow was dissipated. Reinhard's death did eclipse that of Oberstein, but that doesn't stop me from mourning him.

Oberstein truly deserves to be called one of anime's finest characters. Through my past comments I've already stated why do I think so, but it doesn't harm to replicate those reasons here, even if I don't do it with the same amount of detail. Oberstein was undeniably a necessary, vital character for this series, which can be manifested by stating a fact I've hinted at but refused to explain thoroughly until this very episode: No one contributed to the establishment of the Lohengramm Dynasty in the political field more than Oberstein did.

Indeed, Reinhard and the rest of his admirals achieved great feats that put him in an advantageous position in the Empire, but Oberstein made it all possible so the Imperial Crown could be worn by his head. Let's start orderly.

First, the Westerland incident. At that time, the Empire had descended into a civil war, between the conservative noble faction and the progressives. It's no secret to anyone that this civil war, as all do, would have potentially led to millions of deaths and maybe even the demise of the Reich if the Alliance decided to attack (averted only by the coup d'etat in the Alliance). It's implied that the nobles, even if their government wasn't the best for the Empire, still had a significant popular support, not taking into account their power, money and influence that made them gain social leverage.

By letting Prince Braunschweig attack his own servants, it was made clear to everyone that the nobles had no consideration whatsoever for the common imperial folk, which made them lose the favour of those that were still counting on them, thus bringing a much faster end to the war than expected. As it was explained by Oberstein himself, ending the civil war in such manner made it possible for more bloodshed to be averted, as the nobles would have surely used many people as meatshields if they had seen any opportunity to do so.

Although it's a highly controversial matter, I believe that Oberstein had no interest on Kircheis' death. Indeed, he knew how to take advantage of the situation afterwards, but that doesn't necessarily mean that he was wishing for it to happen. If he knew that the life of Reinhard, Kircheis and the rest of the admirals would have been put in such danger, he wouldn't have devised such a plan with so many windows for error, and he wouldn't have instinctively protected Reinhard with his own body. I remember I felt disgusted when I saw him standing right next to Reinhard, as I felt that spot was reserved for Kircheis only, but Oberstein did really deserve it by his own merits.

Anyway, after Kircheis died, he knew how to benefit from the admiral's grief and directed their rage against the Imperial Prime Minister, Prince Lichtenlade. It was never explicitly said that Lichtenlade was really behind the assassination attempt on reinhard, but it's true that it would have benefited him greatly. By turning Lichtenlade into a scapegoat, Oberstein was able to leave the Prime Ministership vacant, which Reinhard quickly occupied, thus making him the most powerful person in the Empire (as the Kaiser was merely just a young boy) and Kaiser in all but name.

Some time later, when faced with the problem of what to do ad portas of the kidnapping of the Kaiser Erwin Josef II, Oberstein advised him to let it pass. The kidnapping of the Kaiser and his subsequent trip to the Alliance as the head figure of/for the Legitimate Government gave Reinhard the political legitimacy to conduct Operation Ragnarok, which definitely brought the Alliance to its knees, giving him almost unlimited power over the galaxy. It also led to the events that would result in the abdication of the Kaiserin, last leader from the Goldenbaum Dynasty, in his favour, thus crowning him the new Kaiser of the Galactic Empire.

If these events hadn't taken place, Reinhard would surely be a very condecorated admiral, probably the most brilliant Imperial Fleet Admiral of all times, but he doubtfully would have got any kind of political power. In order to get any executive power, he would have to hope to be appointed as Chief Minister of Military Affairs (maybe in a move by the nobles in order to make him stay away from the frontlines) or to take the power directly by a coup d'etat that would have surely been met with utmost resistance by the nobility.

Even after the Neue Reich was stablished, Oberstein didn't stop working tirelessly. In order to lurk the republican revolutionaries out of Iserlohn, he had to use a bait that everyone judged inappropiate, when the truth was that if Oberstein hadn't used it the republicans would have never been pressured, Reinhard would have died shortly after and no negotiations would have taken place.

Aside from his political prowess, only comparable to those of Reinhard's in the battlefield, Oberstein stood out as a very competent administrator, even as to being appointed by Reinhard as the head of the commission that would decide the administrative status of the Free Planets Alliance. He also directed Reinhard in some of the most difficult moments of his life as a person with decision-making power (v.g the Kaiser's kidnapping or the appointment of the Imperial Consul to the FPA, among others), and his remarks where like bullets that flown straight and directly into his target, without failing even once.

I will never once abandon my defense of Oberstein. He very much leads the list of the "Did nothing wrong" characters of all time, no matter how much he may be hated for it. Indubitably, I always thought and will always think that almost all hate against Oberstein was undeserved. "Shadows must accompany their light. But if the light dims, don't the shadows too?" was a phrase that went by not fully understood, but was made clear as the story progressed.

Oberstein had to serve as a shield for the disgraces that could afflict the Empire, whether it were gossiping, dangerous elements or weak governing. It's always true that the person in charge must take some radical measures sometimes, without his sentimets coming between him and his duty, and Oberstein was always there to remind everyone of that. In order to avoid the image of Reinhard to be tarnished, he assumed the role of being the most shadowy, the most obscure space object he could be, and as a black hole he atracted to himself any criticism that could have soiled Reinhard's immaculate brightness.

Oberstein took that role personally, even if that implied putting his life at stake for the greater good of the Empire. He was seen by everyone as a despicable person with no emotions, a robot that couldn't care for anyone. Although it was seemingly correct on the outside, on the inside that wasn't such a clean truth. Oberstein sacrificed his life to protect the Kaiser, and took radical measures to ensure no more imperial soldiers would die in senseless battles. The fact that Oberstein adopted a stray dog shows that he was able to care for someone else and to do good.

I always admired how Oberstein was able to do such complex tricks in his delicate situation. In season 4 he was always walking on top of a very thin string, and I doubt he would have been alive form much longer after Reinhard, as his favour and the (maybe begrudgingly) acceptance of his rightness was the only things that made him stay in government, as pretty much everyone else demanded his head. One must not forget that Reuental demanded for Oberstein to be expelled from government, a move that the other admirals would have surely backed up, which would have surely meant his death (in a way, it was better for him to die at the same time as Reinhard. I feel he wouldn't have survived him for long). Knowing how he was always an obstacle for the sake of the Reich, I'm surprised he wasn't killed directly and consciuosly by Rubinsky and De Villier, knowing he was able to thwart some of their plans, or even more, killed by Bittenfeld in a blind rage. Rubinsky, De Villier and Oberstein stand out as the masterminds in this series, and the former totally managed to best them all.

Reinhard and his admirals built a new world, but Oberstein was the Atlas who took it on his shoulders to carry it to a new tomorrow.

"The legend ends, and history begins".
10/10, my favourite anime series of all time.

(It is no doubt my number one. It's already 4:48 AM, and I have written over 2500 words. My God, I'm insane).
Feb 9, 2021 6:57 PM

Oct 2016
I wished they used the first ending but still, this last episode left me completely satisfied, top tier anime.
Pages (13) « First ... « 9 10 [11] 12 13 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

97 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 16, 8:39 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 69 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 1, 2008

73 by leyaf »»
Apr 13, 3:20 AM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - May 27, 2008

89 by MewkiWay »»
Apr 12, 10:03 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

tainteddonut - May 28, 2008

109 by ELuck42 »»
Apr 12, 8:59 PM

Poll: » Legend of the Galactic Heroes Episode 109 Discussion ( 1 2 )

tainteddonut - Jun 7, 2008

64 by bruh98hy89 »»
Apr 8, 8:09 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.